Story Notes:
Disclaimer:  I'm not affiliated in any way, shape or form with the public figures I may have a whim to write about.  Don't know 'em, have no dealings with 'em at all.  Other characters and story elements are simply figments of my twisted imagination and wild creativity.  Any resemblance, likeness or similarity is completely unintentional.  Any borrowed elements (song lyrics, themes, etc.) are given their proper credit.

 

 

“Great party, Abbie.  Like always.”

 

“Thanks, Jace.”  She smiled, her arms wrapping around his neck to reciprocate the tight hug he’d pulled her into.  “Merry Christmas.”

 

“Merry Christmas.”  He stepped away from her, looking around the hallway.  “Where’d J get to?”

 

“I don’t know.  He’s probably hanging out in the living room or something.”

 

“Remind him that we’re supposed to be in the studio tomorrow afternoon.  2:30.”

 

“Like he’d forget.”  A dead pan look settled across his face, prompting her to laugh.  “Yeah, I know.  It’s happened before.  Don’t worry, I’ll even make sure he leaves soon so he won’t sleep all day.”

 

“Thanks.”  Leaning down, he pressed a quick kiss to her cheek.  “While you’re at it, drag him under some of that mistletoe you’ve got hanging around.  He’s past due for a little ravishing.”

 

“C . . .”  She shook her head, her shoulders heaving in a weary sigh.  “Isn’t it the wrong time of year for you to be playing Cupid?”

 

His eyebrows moved suggestively.  “It’s never the wrong time.”

 

“I’ve told you before that he doesn’t . . .”

 

“I was just kidding, Abs.  Lighten up.”  A quick smile crossed his lips as he opened the front door.  “You know, the more irritated you get whenever someone brings it up, the more obvious you’re making it.”

 

“I don’t guess it matters all that much.”  She crossed her arms over her chest.  “He knows.  You know.  Everybody knows.  What’s the point in trying to cover up how pathetic I really am?”

 

“You’ve got a point.”  Her fist raised just high enough to punch him sharply on the shoulder and he laughed as he stepped out into the night.  “’Night, girlie.  Behave yourself.”

 

She shook her head, laughing at his evil tone.  “’Night, Jace.  Be careful.”  The wooden door clicked closed behind him and seconds later she could hear the car revving to life, then backing out of the driveway and into the street.

 

With another sigh, she turned the deadbolt into place and rested her forehead against the smooth wood, breathing deeply as she tried to calm her pulse, still skipping rapidly from the mention of dragging the man just down the hall into a doorway and throwing him for a loop by kissing him under the mistletoe she’d carefully hung that very afternoon.  If she was honest with herself, she had to admit that the notion wasn’t a foreign concept.  She’d dreamed of doing something very similar on numerous occasions, only to wake up knowing that she’d never have the guts to actually do it.

 

No matter how her fingers itched to touch him or how she desired to be next to him, be with him, be his . . . the improbability of the situation was enough to make her want to break down and cry where she stood.  She was well aware that he’d never settle for someone as ordinary and humdrum as herself when he had every actress, model, singer and dancer in the country – and probably across an ocean or two – lined up around the block, just waiting for him to send that bone-melting look of interest her way.

 

He wasn’t even available, for heaven’s sake.  He’d been attached to the Diaz woman for a long time, the constant PDAs and appearances prompting newspapers to report that they were ‘this close’ to making it official.  As good as tied down, they said.  Practically engaged.

 

Well, she really didn’t know one way or the other, but that didn’t change the facts.  There was nothing overly remarkable about her.  Appearance, personality, intellectually . . . in every way that mattered, she was completely average, through and through.   

 

Not exactly the kind of woman he’d ever give a second glance, even if he didn’t have one of the most recognized actresses in the world hanging on his arm.

 

But if Hell ever does freeze over and pigs learn to fly, if he ever gives me one little hint that he sees me as something more than a friend . . . then I’ll be all over him like white on rice. 

 

A smile played over her lips as the familiar childish hope spread through her, propelled by the ridiculous thought that had just crossed her mind.

 

In the past ten years, there’d never been such a moment of idiocy on his part and it was safe to assume that the notion would never even try to penetrate into the orbit of his mental fields, let alone go so far as take root and become the possibility of an idea he would actually carry out.

 

He was Justin Timberlake – world famous singer, dancer, producer and every woman’s fantasy.

 

She was Abbie Mills – manager of the local Blockbuster, shower singer, closet dancer and the girl who’d lived next door when he first moved to Florida all those years ago.

 

The dreams she had were not only impossible and unrealistic . . . they were absolutely ludicrous.  No matter how she longed for more to develop, for him to want more from her, she knew it was time to move on from the teenage fantasy that had plagued her since high school.

 

In him, she had a confidante, a friend above all others.  There was scarcely a secret between them, the open faith encouraging a high level of trust.  Even if there were a few things she’d never be able to come out and tell him, she loved the ease that normally came with their relaxed relationship. 

 

It was rare to find something like she had and she couldn’t allow herself to tarnish it, no matter what the outcome might be.

 

Her heart knew that it was time to grow up, that it was possible for her to be content with him as she had him now.  It was the way things had to be.

 

And she’d be happy with it, even if it killed her to try.

 

Breathing deeply, she pushed herself away from the door, her hands running over her clothing as she moved down the hallway toward the living room, smoothing out the invisible wrinkles in a nervous effort to put herself back in a normal state of mind.

 

Stepping into the doorway, the first thing she saw were his legs, stretched out across the floor as if they went on forever, his khaki pants finally meeting the bottom hem of his dark blue shirt, once tucked neatly behind his belt, but now lying free, slightly wrinkled around his hips.  Only an inch or two of the cottony fabric was visible, the rest of his shirt hidden as his upper torso disappeared beneath the branches of the Christmas tree.

 

Even without having a view of his features, a mental image of his face leaped across her thoughts, bringing that same full-body warmth she felt whenever she saw him or heard his voice.

 

So much for growing up and getting over it.  She shook her head in disgust at herself.  God, I’m such a loser. 

 

Leaning against the doorframe, she kept silent, certain that he wouldn’t know she was there.  The more time she could buy herself to gather her wits together, the better it would be for both of them.  As soon as she was able to reel in the wonderfulness that surrounded her every time he came around, then she’d be more able to carry on a casual conversation, be the normal friend she’d always been.

 

Not that she’d ever been just a normal friend.  He’d always been aware that he drove her crazy, had known about her feelings for him since they’d begun way back when.

 

Of course, he’d never come right out and said that he knew, but it was obvious that he did.  There were signs that she’d learned quickly to decipher, knowing that they were simple little ways for him keep that margin of distance between them.  If she held him too long in a tight hug, he’d pull back and give her a look that she was never really able to read.  When they stood too close, he’d begin to fidget, putting extra space between them as quickly as he could.  If someone made a comment about them being together, he’d rush to say that they were only friends and nothing more.

 

So many tell-tale signs, but all he had to do was take her hand and pull her after him and she’d find the evidence pushed away from her logic, content just to have him touching her, even in that one small, insignificant way.    

 

It’d been a chore for far too long, fighting off the desire to be around him, trying her hardest to give off the impression that everything was good and well when really she just wanted to grab his shoulders and shake him hard, then kiss him senseless.

 

But she’d never do either of those things, no matter how inviting the mistletoe above her head looked.

 

She tore herself away from her thoughts, fighting not to laugh as his big feet began to move back and forth in a child-like manner, his toes tapping the air in rhythm to the beats of “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer”, the heels of his black dress socks brushing quietly against her light blue carpeting.

 

“Finding any rabid squirrels under there?”

 

His toes stopped moving, his laughter ringing out from between the artificial green needles.  “Not yet.  But if you come down here with me, I just might.”

 

“Ha ha.”  The sarcasm was thick as she spoke, moving over and dropping to her knees before sliding under the tree beside him, immediately receiving one of his most brilliant smiles as a reward.  “This is a little different.”

 

“Yeah.”  He turned his head, his eyes moving to stare straight up through the branches.  “I always wondered what it looked like from this angle.”

 

Her gaze moved around, taking in the muted twinkling of the colorful lights above her, the gold strands of tinsel just barely visible through the thick green branches.  The music from the stereo was softer underneath the greenery, the steady sound of his quiet breathing nearly drowning out the familiar strains.   “It’s peaceful under here.”

 

“I was getting ready to say that.”  His grin was obvious in his tone as he raised his arms, stretching until they were crossed behind his head, creating a pillow of sorts.  “It’s homey.”  Blue eyes shifted over to her.  “It could just be the company, though.”

 

She laughed genuinely this time, returning his smile with one of her own.  “Whatever.”

 

He went silent, turning his gaze upward once again, humming softly for a moment before speaking up.  “So . . .”

 

“How’s Cam doing?  I figured she’d be here with you.”

 

“Cameron?”  The look he gave her was odd, confused about the turn of topic.

 

“Yeah.  Last I heard, you guys were about to start taking some big steps.  Like rings and kids and all that fun stuff.”  She watched him blink repeatedly.  “Am I wrong?”

 

“You’re a little behind, girlie.”  He chuckled, shaking his head.  “We broke up a while back.”

 

“Really?”  Her eyes widened in surprise.  “God, I’m an idiot.  When?”

 

“It’s been nearly a year.  Last I checked, she was being seen with some other actor guy.”  His teeth flashed in another grin.  “Sleeping under rocks lately?”

 

“Apparently.”  Rolling her eyes, she shook her head back and forth.  “We’ve talked a lot this year.  Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I guess I figured you’d have heard all about it.  I keep forgetting that you don’t read the gossip rags or watch entertainment TV.”

 

“Were you okay with it?”

 

“Yeah.  We just weren’t headed anywhere new, so it was time to move on.”  He closed his eyes, breathing deeply as he relaxed.  “I’ve been really happy this year.  Things turned out great.”  A quiet laugh shook his chest.  “Now I’m just waiting for Ms. Wonderful to come along.”

 

“That’s good.”  She fell silent, chewing on her lip as she let her eyes move over him once, then again, unable to keep from staring.  If she was lucky, his guard would be down and he wouldn’t notice that she couldn’t help herself . . .

 

“What do you want for Christmas this year, Abs?”

 

“Huh?”  Her tone was dreamy, her mind still running through scenarios that would never happen in the real world and she had to jerk herself back to the present.  Clearing her throat, she tried again, more focused this time.  “What?”

 

“What do you want for Christmas?”

 

“Nothing you can give me.”

 

The words were out before she could stop them and she flinched internally, knowing he’d hear the forced neutrality in her tone.

 

Why don’t I just come out and scream it in his face?  At least that’s quick and to the point. 

 

A deep sigh escaped, echoing underneath the tree.

 

“Aww.  Come on, Abbie.”  His shoulder nudged her, a simple gesture that was meant to encourage her.  “If it exists, I can find it.  You know that.” 

 

She forced her stare to stay fixed in the branches above, fighting with everything she had to keep her answer uncomplicated.  “I don’t think there’s anything I need this year.”

 

“Sure there is.  Every woman has at least one thing that she really wants.”  In the silence that followed, she could hear him rolling, felt his gaze moving over her features as he stopped on his side, facing her.  “Come on, girlie.  Hit me with it.”

 

“I never got it befo-”  Her mouth had a mind of its own, running off almost too quickly for her to catch it.  “Forget it.  It’s stupid.”

 

“Nothing you want could ever be stupid.”  When her eyes turned to meet his, he was smiling.  “What is it?  A Ferrari?  Diamonds?  Brad Pitt?”  His brow furrowed in mock concentration.  “It’s not world peace, is it?  The other stuff I can handle, but world peace I’ll have to work on.”

 

“Brad Pitt?”  Incredulous laughter shook her voice.  “You could get me Brad Pitt?”

 

“Sure.  He owes me a few favors.”  His hand squeezed her shoulder gently.  “Although I think he’d be getting the sweeter end of that deal.”

 

“As tempting as that sounds . . .”  She chewed on her lip, her gaze moving slowly over his face.  “I don’t think I’d survive a date with Brad.”

 

“I thought he might be a little too rough for you.”  The warmth of his touch burned through her skin as she fought to concentrate on what he was saying.  “If Pitt won’t make you happy, then what will?”

 

“You don’t want to know, J.  Trust me.”

 

“Yes I do.”  The dark blue stare pierced her, determined, intent on getting his way.  “Tell me.”

 

Tell him. 

 

The tiny voice was sudden, ripping through her focus.

 

It’s not like it’s a secret.  He knows.  Just get it over with and tell him.

 

Fear streaked down her body, chilling her skin as she considered the consequences of voicing the obvious.  On one hand, there wouldn’t be anything left for her to hide.  Somewhere deep down, she knew that he wouldn’t purposely hurt her.  He might not want her, but he’d handle it in the way he handled all the others – a kind rejection that left only a minor sting.

 

Once it’s out in the open, maybe you can work through it together. 

 

On the other hand, their relationship could suffer.  Things could change drastically, leaving them in a place where they’d never find their way back to the friendship they’d always had.  She’d seen it before, strong friendships falling apart because one of the pair began to fall while the other was on a completely different page.

 

You won’t know until you try, right?

 

She looked at him once again, her teeth working over her lip, the words building within her, fighting to push their way free of her throat.  Her heart began to pound, so hard she was sure he could hear it.

 

Did she dare take the chance?

 

This is the time.  You know you want to.

 

“Why all the drama, Abs?  It’s a simple question.”  His voice was soft, comforting her as he scooted closer and draped an arm over her midsection in a hug of sorts.  “You know you can tell me anything, right?”

 

“This one isn’t so easy, J.”

 

“Sure it is.”  The hug tightened, a quick, reassuring squeeze.  “It’s just me, Abbie.  How hard could it be?”

 

Tell him. Now. 

 

Swallowing hard, she gathered all the courage she had, forcing her eyes to meet his.  “You really want to know?”

 

“No.  I’ve just been hounding you for the last ten minutes because it’s fun.”  The tone of his voice dripped with sarcasm, bringing a slight smile to her lips.  “Spill it, girlie.”

 

“Okay.”  Taking a deep breath, she rolled over, the needles of the tree scratching across her back as she came to a stop on top of him.  “If you’d wrap yourself in red ribbon, put a bow on your chest and stay right here under my tree, then I’d have exactly what I want.”

 

Ignoring his surprised expression, she leaned down, kissing him squarely on the lips.  His hands came to her hips and she tensed, bracing herself for the moment when he would push her away.  She wasn’t prepared for him to slide his arms around her, pulling her down harder against him as he lifted his chin and responded to the touch she’d initiated.

 

His mouth moved under hers smoothly, methodically, letting her know that he was well aware of what was going on.  Lines that they’d never acknowledged were being crossed by leaps and bounds  . . . and he fully intended to take advantage of the opportunity, enjoying himself immensely.

 

Before she even realized what she was doing, she’d tilted her head to the side, giving him a better angle as she parted her lips, her hands moving until she could feel the smooth lines of his jaw underneath her fingertips.  Her shirt pulled tight, his fingers fisting in the material until his hands relaxed, warm palms pressing into her back as if he were afraid to let any space at all exist between them.

 

Finally, she backed off, her lungs burning for air, convincing her that if she didn’t stop now, she’d pass out for sure.  Her chest expanded against him as she took deep breaths, her forehead falling to rest on his shoulder as she waited for the inevitable rejection to come.

 

“Abbie . . .” 

 

His tone was serious, the exact sound that she’d been terrified to hear.  With a quiet sigh, she spoke over him, determined to be an adult about the whole situation.  “I’m sorry, J.  I tried to warn you . . .”

 

“Don’t apologize.  Never tell me you’re sorry when you’re just being honest.”  He cleared his throat, his hand coming up to cup her cheek.  “Why didn’t you say something?”

 

“Because it’s ridiculous and impossible . . . a childish dream that I really need to let go of . . .”

 

“My God, Abs.  I’ve wanted to try for years, but I waited, because I didn’t think you were feeling it.”  His fingers framed her jaw, tilting her head back until she could see the smile turning up the corners of his mouth.  “If you’d said something sooner, we could’ve saved a lot of time and trouble.”

 

“W-what?”  Her eyes widened, shocked at the response she’d never expected.  “Are you . . .”

 

“Were you serious?”  The blue stare she’d memorized so many years ago leveled on her, piercing her straight through.  “Am I really what you want?”

 

“Since I met you . . .”  The words died in her throat and she blinked, pondering over the phrasing she should use, finally opting for short and to the point.  “You’re all I want.”

 

“All right.”  His fingers moved, brushing over her cheeks before combing through her tussled hair.  “I don’t have any red ribbon or a bow, but if it’s me you want . . . then you’ve got it.  Under your tree or anywhere else.”

 

“Are you sure?”  The worry was etched across her features, frown lines marring her forehead.  “I mean . . . I’m not exactly Cameron, J.  I don’t come anywhere close to . . .”

 

“I don’t want another Cameron.  I’ve already been around that block and I’m not going there again.”  He smiled, raising up enough to kiss her cheek.  “I just want my Abbie girl.  If you’re happy with that, then we’re good.”

 

“Okay.”  Her voice was soft, fading away as her gaze moved over him.

 

A dark eyebrow arched questioningly.  “Okay?”

 

The corner of her mouth kicked up, offering him a smile in return.  “We’re good.”

 

With a bright grin, he tightened his arms around her, holding her in place as he rolled, pinning her beneath him on the soft carpeting.  Leaning down, he trailed soft kisses along her jaw until his lips moved against hers as he spoke. 

 

“Then it looks like we’re both getting what we wanted this year, Abs.”  His eyes softened as they skipped over her features.  “Think we can make a few of those childish dreams come true?”

 

She nodded, her nose bumping his as she did so, prompting a laugh at the odd sensation.  “I think you’ve already done that.”  Her fingers slid into his hair, pulling him even closer to her, their lips meeting just briefly before she inched away, her eyes glinting evilly.  “But why stop there?  I’ve had a few fantasies that you wouldn’t believe . . .” 

 

 

  

Chapter End Notes:

Uh-huh.  My last holiday ditty for the year.  I think.  *laughs*  What'd ya think?  Good?  Bad?  Unbelievably sappy?  Unbearably fluffy?  Whatever the case, hit me with some feedback!

Thanks for reading!


Completed
Renee is the author of 12 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked All I Want also liked 351 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Christmas Cookies. The previous story in the series is Mistletoe.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story