The Truth About Lying

 

Chapter 5

The crowded room reminded Maia of the backstage at a runway show in Paris, with numerous girls standing around speaking a gibberish language she couldn’t understand though she was sure the majority of them were English speaking citizens. Jocelyn had went straight to the bathroom as soon as the stepped foot into the waiting area of Sasha Inc. awaiting their scheduled interview. After much persuasion, Raven and Jocelyn had both convinced Maia that one interview wasn’t compromising too much and if anything it was all just for laughs. Only laughing was the last thing Maia wanted to do at that moment, unlike Jocelyn she hid her fear and hid it very well. It was something that came along with learning how to survive the life she had lived for the past two years. Maia had been glad Jocelyn never got into the street business, even though she had a much worse off luck with her boyfriend Kendall, only now had she wished Jocelyn knew how to stomach fear. Fear was one thing that you never wanted to wreak from you, especially in the city of New York. Even though the thin rail looking supermodels standing around weren’t as bold to rip your heart out in broad day light like some of the people Maia had met before, they had there on conniving way of killing a fellow peers spirit. Somehow, while sitting in the lobby area soaking up the faint whispers and gruesome staring, Maia had convinced herself that this hadn’t been a good idea. Looking up, Maia saw Jocelyn approach her with a rather sour look on her face. Patting the cushion to the seat next to her, Maia directed her friend to sit next to her.

" Did u wipe the seat after you binged." Maia whispered as low as possible, sure that some of the girls who had been paying plenty of attention to them had overheard.

" Yes." Jocelyn replied meekly, her bright blue eyes moving about the room.

" Don’t stare." Maia hissed watching Jocelyn unashamedly stare gapped mouth at all the woman standing around in fine silks and stilettoes.

" They’re staring at us." Jocelyn hissed back looking down at her own ensemble os a tube top and cuffed capri express jeans. She then turned to examine Maia’s appearance and smiled at the simple white tank and navy blue linen pants with tweed white flip flops. " You still be da prettiest." Jocelyn cooed and Maia visibly relaxed.

" Yeah right." Maia laughed nervously. The door then thrusted open to the office the two girls were positive held casting for whatever modeling job they had. Reading off a clipboard, a very elegant looking man called out several names.

" Maia Manadelno..." they two girls looked at each other then Maia ascended smoothing out her favorite linen pants. Looking back at her friend, Maia winked before entering into the secluded room.

"Perfect." Hype smiled to himself staring at her from across the room. He had been cooped up in that office interviewing girl after girl for the past 2 hours. Each one was turned away, one thing or another being off about them and the way they measured up to the specific description given by Justin for his leading lady. He didn’t expect to find an exact replica, but he also didn’t expect to find so many so far from it. He had almost given up hope when there she walked in, walking collectively to the center of the room her innocent and self conscious demeanor speaking for itself. She was dressed in a simple outfit that still outlined perfectly her admirable body, wore little makeup that accented her beautiful face. He shook his head, she was not just beautiful she was gorgeous and he knew she was the one.

" Uh, that’s Maia Manadelno." Anne offered already writing down all the information that was presented from Sasha Inc.

" She’s perfect." Hype whispered licking his lips in satisfaction.

" It says here that she has no experience, from Minnesota...it also says that she is a....." But Hype shushed her off standing up and walking over to her. She was remarkable and he had to have her to cast. Looking on as Hype moved towards the beautiful girl Anne sighed, " But she is a stripper."

His head rocked with the gyrating speakers as he drove in complete silence alongside Chris Kirkpatrick on their way to the final casting call. Today was the day that Hype would present all the girls he had hand picked for the video’s leading lady. However, contrary to former beliefs, Justin’s mind was so far away from the day’s events. All he could keep thinking about was last night. How could he do that after what was done to him? He had been lonely yes, but to fall into the arms of the person who put you there was just foolish. As it were to happen, Chris showed up right as Britney was excusing herself from his hotel room. Justin didn’t even offer an explanation as he made his way out the door behind her to join Chris in the car to the studio. Chris had opted to drive sensing his friend’s frustration and had been good about not breeching the subject. Justin stared out the window, wanting to find some sort of answer. He hated to admit it but he had felt good in her arms. He had felt good to be held and to hold once again. With her it was different than the others because he had a foundation with her. They shared more than just a one night stand, they shared a love.

" So I heard Hype found a perfect match." Chris began trying to break the silent mood. Justin nodded acknowledging what he was partly listening to. At the moment he was completely concentrated on what he should do concerning his awful love life.

"Hey kid, what happened?" Chris finally asked his voice expressing his apology for asking, but they both knew it was going to come sooner or later.

" Nothing, just a little romp in the sack, you know how that goes." Justin tried to shrug off and offer just that as an explanation. Shortly after, the two pulled into the parking lot where Lance was emerging from his car on his cell phone. Waving over at them both he signaled that he’d be a few minutes. Chris and Justin nodded walking into the studio to find Joey sitting in what looked like the director’s chair. The red head man was beaming with joy as he sat forward clutching a clipboard talking to what looked like a girl there for the purpose of casting. Justin noted that she was beautiful, but just not what he wanted.

" Hey Joe." Justin sighed patting his friend on the back and taking the seat next to his friend. Looking towards the smiling girl, Justin winked and smiled his forever charming smile.

" Hey, I’m Natalie." she breathed her body leaning close into him as she offered his hand. Justin looked over at Joey who winked his approval and then Chris who shook his head.

" Hey Natalie, you’re here for the casting."

" I guess you can say that, but Hype pretty much has an idea of who he wants for the video." Natalie sighed sadly looking over at Joey as if he shared some lead way in the decision and promised to do his best to work her in. Justin laughed to himself and settled back in his chair just as Anne walked over and placed a cup of cappuccino in front of him.

" Hey good morning Anne, what you got for me?" Justin smiled warmly and Anne couldn’t help but smile back. Standing to her side, she pointed over to the woman who was to be cast as "Cry Me A River’s" leading lady. Justin felt his breathing grow still while his heart skipped several beats, he was taken aback. There she stood a few feet away, oblivious to the eyes boring into her.

" Ms. Maia Manadelno."

Where was Raven’s personable ass when you needed her, Maia though as she stood anticipating meeting whichever photographer would be head of the shoot. She was beyond the point of nervousness, she was about to suffocate from anxiety. She wore a pair of mint green american eagle jogging shorts, that posed as fashionable but yet relaxing, as well as a fitted blue tank that matched the graphics on the shorts. She was sure they were going to provide a wardrobe so hadn’t pressed too much into what she was going to wear. I can’t believe this, she thought biting on her lower lip. Of all the gorgeous experienced girls that showed up that day for auditions, she had been the one picked. They didn’t even see Jocelyn, after her auditions were done, they had found what they were looking for. It was still hard to believe they were looking for her, and yet there she stood about to do her first job. She was so shocked she hadn’t gathered many of the details, just that she had to be at Studio B at 8:50 a.m. on 32nd Locust St. So there she was, holding a now cold cup of coffee waiting to see what she had gotten herself into. Then she saw him. He was seated directly across from her in a directors chair next to Joey and Chris. Ohmigosh, no this CANNOT be happening. Clearing her throat she closed her eyes and then opened them again. Nothing changed, Justin Timberlake was still sitting there and to make matters worse he was staring at HER. Please, tell me he does not recognize me. Turning from his direct gaze she looked over at the mousy woman who handed her a cup of coffee not even twenty minutes ago.

" Anne." she called out and the mousy woman came to her, smiling rather timidly.

" Yes Maia, is something wrong."

" What exactly are we here for?" Anne looked at the young girl confusedly, but answered her question anyway.

" This is final cut casting for Justin Timberlake’s Cry Me A River video. There is no doubt that you will be cast, this is just for preliminary precautions. NOT that Mr. Timberlake won’t be satisfied with you..." Anne went on but Maia had long since stopped listening, she was there to be in a video. And not just any video, Justin Timberlake’s video.

" Take a picture kid."Chris teased, although Joey was looking for his camera. Justin finally closed his mouth, licked his lips and blinked his eye. He didn’t know what to do with himself. Could this be Billy Jackson?

" Where is that damn little bugger..." Joey murmured rummaging through his jacket pocket. Justin turned to him and tapped his shoulder.

" Joe, is that the girl. I mean is that Billy Jackson?" Joey stopped and turned towards the girl he had been desperately trying take a picture of and stared for a moment. If anyone where to know the girls of Secret’s Unfolded, it was Joey Fatone.

" No, no thats not her." Joey finally said shaking his head. Suddenly Justin felt a bit embarrassed, three months later and he was still asking about some stripper he saw dance at a club. Furthermore, he just labeled his leading lady a stripper, keep it up Justin and you might charm the socks off of her.

" But I wouldn’t mind seeing her at Secrets’" Joey teased and Justin laughed half heartedly. He was just about to suggest they pop up there when Hype finally approached, settling behind the guys.

" She’s beautiful isn’t she?" he beamed proudly, glad to have found such an exact replica of what his star wanted in his video. Justin could barely respond, his mouth growing dry as he desperately tried to swallow.

" Perfect, she’s remarkable." Chris nodded in agreement to his own words and nudged Justin in the elbow. " Get a grip kid." he whispered and Justin smiled in response. What was going on with him? He had to do something with himself, this was just beyond pathetic. Since when did he get all choked up over a beautiful girl?

" Yeah, I guess I’ll go introduce myself." he tried to sound as nonchalant as possible sliding off the chair and walking towards her.

Breathe Maia, she had to instruct her body to follow it’s orderly functions or she was guaranteed to pass out before he would even reach her. She took a deep breath in hoping that she looked more star struck than petrified. Now standing before him, she’d rather she not look as petrified. He was a sight for soar eyes away, but upclose the man was just remarkable.

" Hi, I’m Maia." she was sure by now she would have forgotten the entire english language, much less her name, but by sheer chance the words rolled off her lips.

"Nice to meet you Maia, I’m Justin." she felt like laughing, it was quite comical for Justin Timberlake to be introducing himself as if even a mormon who lived under a rock wouldn’t know who he was. Breaking the ice, she laughed a relaxing laugh that sparked a slight smirk on his handsome face.

" But I guess you already knew that." he liked her laugh, yet loved her smile as she stood laughing at him. He found himself relaxing while standing before the most gorgeous speciman of a woman almost as if he hadn’t been introducing himself but instead reacquainting himself.

‘ Yeah, I kinda did." she smiled, settling her laughter and biting her lip. Justin had to bring his hand to his own mouth for fear of tracing hers, and smoothed it over his head. Realizing that he had been acting very much out of character of the smooth playboy he had always been. Then it hit him, looking into her eyes- a hazel greenish sparkle that set his body on fire. She looked familiar.

" Have we......., have we met before?!" her heart caught within her throat, she hadn’t expected him to ask that next. For a moment, she had delighted in the fact that they were being introduced for the first time and that he had no recollection of ever seeing her perform naked, in fact she had even forgotten herself. Now she was faced with the realization that maybe the past had come back up to haunt her. What she had hoped would drown in memory had somehow resurfaced.

" Uh....I don’t...."

" Well hello Ms. Manadelno. Pleasure to see you again. It seems you have passed the final cut." Hype interrupted patting Justin firmly on the back and winked at her. Breathing in, silently thanking him, she smiled brightly.

" Thank you very much Mr. Williams." she beamed and glanced over at Justin who offered a brief smile then looked down. What do you know Mr. Playboy bashful, Maia laughed to herself and shook Hype’s hand.

" Thank you very much Hype"

" What in the hell am I suppose to do around here without you for one whole week?!" Willy exclaimed glaring at Maia through her dressing mirror as she prepped to go on stage. Raven looked on from her chair, a smile spreading across her face as she winked at her friend.

" What the hell are u smiling for anyway over there you fucking spic." Willy yelled and Maia bit back her laughter.

" Give me a break you giant ass wipe, SHE is going to be in a VIDEO. Shit if I had the chance I would leave this hellwhole and become a fucking star. MORE POWER TO YA SISTER!" Raven bellowed and sashayed out of the dressing area. Maia smiled inwardly and applied a fresh gloss on her lips.

" One week Maia, one week or I’ll make your life one not worth living." Maia breathed in standing to her feet, her body glittering with the jewels that adorned it. Maybe if she was lucky, this would be her last night of work. She smiled meekly, a soft tear cascading down her face remembering the threat Willy had just proposed. Maybe luck just couldn’t do anything for her.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story