Story Notes:

I know that I should not be starting another one but I just can't help myself haha. I have a million ideas going through my head. Please let me know what you think. :)

When I started in this business I always did everything everyone told me to do. Starting out I had to. I couldn’t turn anything down. Whenever anyone told me to jump I didn’t ask how high because I didn’t ask questions, I just did what they said. I jumped as high as I could, fuck when I was starting I’d run and find a trampoline to jump on so I was the highest one out there.

But things change and after I have reached a certain point of success I should be able to have some say in my career. One would think… let me make it easy for you: I still jump. I’ve been known to ask how high or why it is necessary that I jump, but I still do it.

I have been on a so-called break for about a year. It’s called a break when I get to sleep in my own bed. I’ve been doing plenty, it’s not like I just stay at home and sit in front of the television. If we’re talking about a break like that, I don’t think I’ve been on one since I was 14. I know it sounds like I’m complaining, but I’m not. I am very happy with my life and I wouldn’t trade it in for anything. I just always have these mixed feelings when I’m about to start up again. I love touring but I also feel this sense of regret when I’m about to start up and I can honestly say that I will be working for at least the next 18 months straight.

It all starts tomorrow. This is my last day of freedom. Marty is starting casting for the dancers of my tour that starts in a little over a month’s time. While he’s doing that I’m supposed to go get the treatment for the video of my first single. You would think I should have my dancers set up before we start filming a video but that would be too easy. It all goes back to not being able to ask how high to jump. I did ask, many people multiple times as a matter of fact, but the only answer I got was that it all had to do with timing. That translates to just shut up and sing.

I do not enjoy sitting in meetings all day, and that is what my day tomorrow is going to be. I would much rather spend the day with the dancers. I like to be in control and the fact that my dancers will be hand selected by hands other than my own really scares me. I trust Marty more than I would trust anyone else, but it would make me feel a lot better if I could have some say in the dancers for MY tour.

I drove to Marty’s house so we could go golfing on our last day of freedom. I stopped in the driveway trying to figure out my shit before I go inside. I usually get nervous about starting up again but there’s something about this time that I’m driving myself crazy. I’m having a hard time sleeping and it seems like all I think about is working.

I knocked on Marty’s door and it took him a minute to answer, “What’s up man? You ready?”

“Yeah, give me a minute come in” he walked into the house and I followed him to the living room where there was a girl sleeping on his couch. He stood in front of the couch looking down at the sleeping girl, “Should I wake her?”

I laughed and moved over so I was looking down at her as well, “Who is she?”

“A friend from home our parent’s are friends. I should wake her right? I shouldn’t just leave?”

I’m going to need more information on this girl before I make a decision on the matter, “What’s she doing here?”

“She dances, kind of… she used to”

“Does she know anyone out here?” he shook his head, “So you’re just going to leave her?”

“That’s what I’m saying. I’ll leave a note or something.”

“Dude, wake her up,” I laughed.

He didn’t have to wake her up, her eyes opened and she quickly grabbed her glasses from the coffee table, “Why do I have an audience watching me sleep?”

I laughed and stepped back to let Marty deal with it. We probably should not have been standing there watching her; I can see how that could come across a little creepy.

“I didn’t want to wake you up. We’re going golfing.”

She nodded her head and sat up looking over at me for the first time; “I’m Justin” I waved over at her.

“Yeah,” she stretched her arms over her head. She looks confused… like most people would be after waking up to see two people watching her sleep, “I’m Veda.”

“Nice to meet you Veda. We’re going golfing,” let’s speed this up.

“OK?”

“Want to come?” Marty asked.

“She golfs?” I didn’t mean to say that out loud.

“Yeah she golfs,” he laughed, “Dude her dad owns three golf courses back home.”

I’m impressed, “then you’re coming?”

“I just woke up.”

“I see that.”

She laughed, “I need to shower.”

That will be another hour. Any time any girl says she needs to shower that’s at least an hour. How they spend so much time in the shower is beyond me. And then they have to do their hair and put on their makeup and we’re talking about a three-hour process by the end of it. “No, you’re beautiful. Just get changed.”

She stood up, “Give me like ten minutes.”

I sat down on the couch as she walked away, “How long is she here for?”

“I don’t know, a few days maybe weeks.”

I think I just heard the shower turn on.

I did hear the shower turn on.

So much for her not taking a shower.





I cannot believe I woke up to see Justin Timberlake standing over me watching me sleep. I’m going to kill Marty. I jumped into the shower quickly because I did just wake up.

“I thought we said you weren’t going to take a shower,” Justin said once I got out of the bathroom.

“No, you said I wasn’t going to take a shower. I said give me ten minutes. It wasn’t even ten minutes, I’m good” I smiled.

Justin took a deep breath and stood up, “This girl’s trouble,” he laughed. I followed them outside, “And she’s got all the golf gear,” he said with a smile looking over my outfit.

“I wouldn’t be talking Mr. Plaid Pants.”

“What’s wrong with my pants?”

“Um, they’re plaid number one,” I answered with a laugh when I saw the face he made.

“You really don’t like them?”

“They’re adorable,” I smiled.

“This has got to be some kind of a record.”

“What does?”

“I’ve known you ten minutes and you’re already starting shit.”

I shrugged, “As long as you don’t have the plaid cleats and the cap I’ll deal with the pants.”

“I don’t.”

“Then you’re good,” I smiled as I climbed in the back seat.

“Isn’t it some kind of a rule that you have to wear plaid if you go golfing?” he asked seriously. He really is upset that I don’t like his pants, probably because no one has ever said they don’t like something about him.

“Yeah, when you’re seventy.”

Marty laughed, but Justin wasn’t amused, “I don’t like you,” he answered seriously before laughing himself, “What are you some kind of a fashion designer?”

“No.”

“Interior designer.” Marty spoke up.

“Are you really?” Justin asked looking at me in the rearview mirror.

“I went to school for it.”

“But?”

“But… I don’t have a job.”

I could see him nodding his head; “I have a room that’s been empty for the past two years. I want to make it an office.”

I nodded my head, why is he telling me that?

“Want to design it?”

I laughed out loud I think. I didn’t mean to but why is he asking me to design his room after knowing absolutely nothing about the way I design, “Don’t you think you should maybe check out my binder or something first?”

“Nah, I trust you. I know there won’t be any plaid and that’s really all that matters to me.”

“Um… ok.”

“I’ll pay you, it’s not like I’m asking you to do it for free.”

“Oh my god, you’re ridiculous. I obviously am not saying no because I think you want me to do it for free.”

“Then why are you saying no?”

“I just would think you’d want a real designer.”

“I’m offering you to design a room in my house. It’s empty. There’s nothing in it. I really don’t give a fuck what it looks like.”

He’s kinda pissing me off, “Alright. I’ll do it.”

“Thank you.” I could see his smile from the back seat.

“You’re welcome.”




She does not sound interested in doing my room. I do not understand why she would say no to that. I would think someone straight out of college would want a job.

“How’d it go with Nikki?” Marty asked me waking me from my thoughts.

I laughed and looked over at him, “Horrible.”

“Did you break up?”

I nodded my head, “She went crazy, and I got a fucking heel in the back of my head.”

I heard the girl giggling behind me and turned around to stare her down, “Sorry, it’s not funny,” she continued laughing.

“Nah, it’s pretty funny.” Marty laughed.

I shook my head and let a chuckle escape; looking back it is a little funny. It’s funny that I dated that psycho for two years. “Dude she went apeshit because there were onions in her omelet and she didn’t want onions in her omelet. I told her to take them out and she looked at me like I had fifteen fucking heads and she says just looking at them makes her want to throw up. Then suggested I fire Rachael because she got the omelets and didn’t make sure there were no onions in it.”

The girl’s laughing again; I wish I could remember her name. I’m horrible with names.

“Rachael should know better,” Marty, answered sarcastically, “What kind did she get?”

“A western Omelet.”

Now the girl is laughing uncontrollably. She definitely has one of those laughs that you can hear from miles away, “Are you alright Chuckles?” I couldn’t help but laugh with her the laugh is contagious.

“That’s what a western omelet is ham, peppers and ONIONS.”

I nodded my head and laughed, “She’s fucking crazy.”

“Apparently,” she agreed.

“Are we betting or what?”

“Yeah, let’s bet,” the girl said.

“Nah man,” Marty laughed, “You don’t want to do that.”

“If he wants to do it, let him do It.,” she said again.

“Man, come on, why don’t I want to do it?”

“Veda has been golfing since she was in the womb.”

All right, her name is Veda. I need to remember that. “I’m not scared.”

“Then we’ll bet”

“Alright let’s do it. How much?”

She shrugged, “you can pick.”

I looked over at Marty and he held his hands up, “I’m not getting involved in this bro.”

“I’m good,” I explained to her.

“I believe you. No one with those pants can be bad,” she answered with a smile.

I took a deep breath, “200?”

“Perfect,”

“I won’t feel bad taking money from you.”

She laughed out loud at that one, “Good, don’t.”

“I won’t.”

“I’m glad, really. I won’t feel even a little bad about taking your money.”

“Good.”

It turns out that I need to learn to listen when Marty tries and warns me. Veda not only won but also she made me look like a little girl. She did not lie when she said she didn’t feel bad taking my money either.





Justin stopped at the ATM before he took us home. I almost felt bad taking his money. Almost. It wasn’t a fair game but he was so cocky thinking he’s the best that I don’t feel bad. He handed the money back to be, “Thank you, it was a pleasure.”

“Yeah, yeah, I want a rematch Chuckles.”

“Anytime,” I answered with a smile as I counted my money. Marty laughed and shook his head.

“Are you guys hungry? Let’s get lunch. I can’t buy it, but…” Justin said with a smile.

“I got ya covered.”

“What are you doing out here Veda?” he asked me as we waited for our food.

“It was either move back home with my parents and sixteen year old sister or try Marty’s couch.”

Justin laughed, “I think you made the right choice.”

“So far so good, made me some money.”

“Don’t get used to it. Do you dance?”

“No.”

“Yes she does,” Marty answered. I don’t know why the fact that I used to dance when I was seventeen equals that I do dance, “She’s amazing.”

“Then why do you say you don’t?” Justin asked.

“I used to dance. When I was seventeen.”

“Not anymore?” I shook my head, “Why not?”

I shrugged, “I’m not a professional dancer.”

“But you dance?”

“Not really.”

He nodded his head again, “Are you going tomorrow?”

“No, I’m not a dancer,” do I have to repeat everything with him? I think he has selective hearing.

“So, you could go. What else are you going to do sit home and watch television?”

“Yeah.”

Justin laughed, “Go. Have fun. Dance.”

“I don’t want to. You think that I want to and I’m like afraid to go. I’m not. I just don’t dance anymore.”

“The girl’s got dancing issues huh?” Justin said with a laugh.

“I don’t have issues. I’m just not a dancer.”

“Oh you suck then?” he asked seriously.

“Reverse psychology really works on me,” I answered sarcastically, “OK, I’ll go. Just to dance though. Not to try out.”

“We’ll see about that,” Justin answered with a smile. He has one of those cocky smiles that I’ve seen a lot already and I just met him today.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story