“Wake up Vay” Marty’s voice woke me up, followed by him shaking me. He does not have a very soothing voice, especially when I could possibly make him late for his dear and beloved dancing. I walked into the bathroom, put in my contacts, washed my face and pulled on a pair of sweats and a tank top before putting my hair up and a hat on my head.

The good thing about dancing is that I don’t have to do anything but brush my teeth and I’m good to go. When we got to the studio however, I realized that I probably should have done something. All the girls were wearing makeup and had their hair done. I guess that’s why they’re trying out and I’m not.

Marty loves to be in charge. He’s like a totally different person when he’s out there telling people what to do. I realize that he just likes to dance and he’s a totally different person when he’s dancing and it really has nothing to do with him bossing people around. But it’s more fun to think he likes being in charge.

Everyone jumped up when he started, watching intently as Marty did the dance. I was more interested watching them watch him. They’re all so serious. I think this is like a life-changing event for some of them.

The dance isn’t that hard. It’s not like rocket science or anything. They’re acting like it’s the most difficult thing in the world. Don’t get me wrong, I love Marty’s style, hell it’s the only style I know how to dance to, but it’s not that difficult.

When Marty tried to run through it, it was absolutely comical, girls were literally falling down. “Wow,” Marty said when the music stopped and I couldn’t help but laugh. He’s like the nicest person ever and he hates to tell people they suck but seriously… they suck.

“Veda, come up here. We’re going to run through it slower this time. Without the music, watch her.”

“Marty, I don’t think they should be watching me.”

“Please Veda, I need your help.”

I don’t know how to do it slower than he did last time. I feel like these people should be better if they call themselves professional dancers. It just surprises me; I thought they’d be much better. I sound really cocky; I don’t think they’re horrible. I sure as hell don’t think I’m amazing. I just thought they would blow me away and they’re not.






I actually asked how high this time. And then I said no. That’s a big step. I asked why it was important that I sit here and listen to how we’re going to finance the tour and how I’m going to make the most money while Marty is out there trying to get the dancers for said tour. It makes no sense. The better the dancers are the better the show, the more people that come, and the more money everyone makes. I’ve tried to explain this multiple times and they never seem to get it. For some reason today something finally clicked. It may have been the fact that I was leaving the room whether they liked it or not.

The only problem with showing up unannounced is some of the dancers get nervous. I don’t know why and honestly if they get nervous in front of me it worries me what they’re going to be like on stage in front of thousands.

I managed to walk in the back and stood behind one of the glass mirrors so they couldn’t see me. Interesting, not so bad. And then there’s Chuckles. Why the fuck did she say she doesn’t know how to dance?

Marty gave them a break and came back, “You got away huh?”

I nodded my head and slapped his hand, “How’s it going?”

“They’re getting it, it started off a little shaky but they’re getting it. How does it look?”

“What’s up with Veda? Did she know the dance before?”

“Nah, just today.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” he laughed, “She’s good right?”

“Good? She’s fucking amazing. Will she do it?”

“I don’t know man, she doesn’t dance.”

I laughed and shook my head, “Why not?”

He shrugged, “She’s just not into it.”

“Dude, she’s obviously into it, she’s the best fucking dancer here.”

“I don’t know man.”

“I’ll talk her into it. What’s going on tonight? I’ll come by and talk to her.”

“Alright man, go for it.”

He does not seem convinced that I can talk her into it. I don’t understand why anyone would not want to dance to sold out crowds of hundreds every night and get paid for it. How hard can it be to talk her into it?







“Did you have fun?” Marty asked as we got back into his house.

“Mmmhmm, I’m starving, we should have stopped somewhere for food.”

“J’s coming over, don’t change the subject.”

“I didn’t know there was a subject to be changed, what was the subject?”

“Dancing.”

I rolled my eyes and went through my bag to find a change of clothes, “I’m going to take a shower.”

I don’t understand what the big deal is with me dancing. I just don’t get it. After taking a shower I changed into my jeans and a tank top before walking back out to the living room.

“I don’t know why I have to wait for the shower in my own house,” Marty walked past me.

“Because ladies first,” I smiled as I grabbed onto the hairdryer and sat down on the rug. When I turned if off I heard someone banging on the door.

I opened the door to see Justin standing there with bags of food, “Damn Dallas, I was getting worried,” he smiled and walked past me.

“Dallas?”

“You’re from Dallas.”

“Right, but my name is Veda.”

“I like Dallas better. I’m starving, are you hungry?”

I nodded my head, “What did you get?”

“Everything,” he pulled out some bread, “Where’s Marty?”

“Shower.”

He nodded his head and bit his lip, “I’m not waiting.”

“Good, I’m starving,” I laughed as I grabbed some plates and handed him one.

“Let’s talk while we eat.”

“OK.”

“Let’s talk about your issues.”

“I don’t have issues.”

He laughed before putting a spoonful of macaroni into his mouth, “Great, so you’re coming on tour.”

“No.”

“Then you have issues. Why don’t you want to do it?”

“I just don’t want to dance, how is that an issue?”

“Were you made fun of as a kid for dancing or something?”

“You’ve been to too many therapists.”

“Why don’t you want to dance?” he can repeat it as many times as he wants.

“I’m not a dancer.”

“Dallas, you were moving better than any other girl out there. You got the moves down the first time Marty showed them to you.”’

I didn’t say anything because I don’t really have much to say. I don’t have a problem with dancing I just never thought I was that good. And the one time I actually tried out to be a dancer I didn’t make it past first cut.

“Sometimes you just gotta jump.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Jump, do it, go for it. What would it hurt? What else are you going to do? Move back home. You get to tour the fucking country.”

It would be kind of cool to travel the country. “I don’t know.”

“You get paid, good money. Did Marty tell you about that?” I shook my head; “You get fifty grand for the tour. It’s only 25 dates. We’ll probably add more but then you’ll get more money. Do the math girl you went to college. That’s a thousand dollars a night.”

“Two thousand,” I corrected him.

“Whatever. You’re on stage for two hours, that’s how much an hour?”

“A thousand, are you serious you didn’t know that?”

“A thousand fucking dollars an hour, traveling the country, or you could go home and room with your sixteen year old sister. You don’t have to pay for travel or your hotel or food. It’s like an all expense paid trip around the country for a couple months.”

“Why do you want me to do it so bad?”

“I saw the way you move, you’re better than any other girl that was out there. Beyonce took all my dancers from the last tour. The rest of the girls aren’t looking too good. I’m begging you Dallas, Veda, please?”

I bit at my lip and twirled my hair with my fingers. Going on tour would be pretty amazing. I’ll get to see all these new places plus I’ll get to spend time with Marty. “OK,” I answered softly.

A smile came over Justin’s face and he nodded his head before standing up and hugging me, “Thanks Dallas, you’re a lifesaver. You’re going to do the video too right?”

“There’s really no one better in this whole city? That’s sad.”

Justin laughed before sitting back down and grabbing another bite of the macaroni, “It is very sad. Or you could just admit you’re good.”

“I’m not that good.”

He laughed again and ran his hands through his curly hair, “Why do you have no problem saying you’re a good golfer but you’re too humble to say you’re a good dancer? It doesn’t make sense Dallas.”

“I don’t know Hollywood, it’s just the way it is.”

“Hollywood?”

“You call me Dallas.”

“You’re from Dallas, I’m not from Hollywood, don’t call me Hollywood.” he’s like insulted that I would even say that.

“Well you live here, so it’s the same thing.”

“No, it’s not. Not even a little. I’m from Memphis, I was not born and raised in Hollywood.”

I didn’t know that it was such an insult to say somebody is from Hollywood. I guess that shows that I have no clue what I’m doing in this city. “Alright, sorry. Memphis.”

“Thank you,” he looked back at his dinner and smiled, “You’re a piece of work Dallas.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“I’d say it’s pretty good. How’s your man taking you being out here?”

“My man?” I asked as I grabbed a forkful, “I don’t have a man so I’d say he’s taking it pretty well.”

“You don’t have a man?” he looked up from his plate and I shook my head. Justin laughed and looked back at his plate, “Bullshit.”

“Bullshit? Why would I lie about that?”

“I don’t know. Maybe he doesn’t have a job, has three kids, and there’s baby mama drama.” He answered with a smile.

I laughed, “You have me figured out.”

“I knew it. Don’t be ashamed, I’m sure he’s a great guy.”

“Oh he’s wonderful, you’ll really like him,” I figured I might as well play along.

“I can’t wait to meet him,” he answered with a smile.

He’s kind of crazy. I thought he’d be a lot different. I mean, he is this huge celebrity, world famous, a house hold name and he’s sitting here acting like a complete dork. I don’t get the big deal. He’s just a guy, normal just like anyone else. I mean, I don’t think he’s taken a shower since rehearsal. It’s not that he smells like, I mean he put some cologne over it, but his shirt is still a little sweaty. And he has a hole in his gray sweatpants. He could use a shave and he’s breaking out by his hairline.

I know it’s not the right thing to be pointing out all his flaws but I’m not looking them as flaws. In fact, I can’t even explain how excited it makes me that he does have flaws. I don’t think I could stand going on tour with someone that was like perfect. He’s much more real and normal than I expected. I don’t know why I expected him to be so different. Marty and Justin are so close; I know Marty would never hang around with some arrogant asshole.

I guess I shouldn’t talk so soon. I did just meet Justin yesterday. He has plenty of time to change my mind. All I will say is so far he’s not like I expected. And that’s a good thing.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story