Every single time Justin sleeps over I wake up to his annoying cell phone ringing. It wouldn’t be that bad but he has the most annoying ring that’s not even a ring, more like a bunch of beeps. It drives me crazy and pretty soon I might develop a twitch. I guess maybe that problem could be solved if Justin stopped falling asleep when he’s in my room… or I stopped falling asleep when I’m in his room. Whatever, it doesn’t matter; the point is that he has a very annoying cell phone ring. And then there’s the fact that he never answers it. Every single time he lets it ring for like a minute before he answers it.

“Answer it or I will throw it against the wall.”

He laughed but kept his head buried in the pillow, “I don’t want to answer it because then I’ll have to get up.”

“Then turn it off.”

“What time is it?”

“Seven.”

“What the fuck they said we could sleep till nine,” he finally answered the phone, well I mean he grabbed the phone and put it up to his ear but didn’t say anything. He shut the phone a few seconds later and then he finally talked, “We have to leave in a half an hour because there’s a storm coming and they want to beat it.”

He didn’t move after he spoke, instead he just laid there, still hogging the covers. “Don’t you think maybe you should go back to your room and get packed?”

“Nah, I’m good here,” I could only see half of his face because of the way he was laying but there was that cocky smile.

I took a deep breath, he laughed when he heard it, “Well then can you stop hogging the covers?”

“Don’t you think maybe you should get up and get packed?” he mimicked my voice, or what he thinks is my voice. Let me tell you he should never be an impersonator.

“No, I am packed. Seriously J, you’re hogging all the covers, I’m cold.”

“You’re cold,” he whined and threw the covers over me, “You just want to cuddle.”

I laughed, “Not even.”

“A little right? Just a little, admit it.”

“No, not even a little. Not even a tiny bit. Not even if you were like the last person in the state and there was a blizzard and cuddling is the only way to survive.”

“Alright,” he got up but took the blanket with him, “Then be cold,” that damn smile is back and he shrugs before grabbing the DVDs he got me and putting his plaid cap on his head.

“You can’t take my blanket,” I laugh because I don’t know what else to do. He is seriously leaving my room with my blanket.

“I can’t? All right then, I guess I can’t. I’ll see you in a half an hour Dallas,” he gave me that smile and shut the door behind him, leaving my room with my blanket.

Obnoxious.

I really never expected Justin and I to get so close. We’ve only been on tour a couple weeks but everyone is already close as hell. I take back all the bad things I’ve said about out the other dancers, they’re actually pretty cool. And the show is kick ass, end of story.

When I finished packing up everything I went down to the lobby where everyone was sitting down on the couches, looking like zombies. Nobody said anything as I sat down next to Rachael; I think it’s safe to say everyone is as tired as I am.

Everyone that is, except for Justin. He steps off the elevator whistling with that goofy smile plastered on his face. He laughs when he looks at everyone, “Ya’ll look dead.”

“Why are you so wide awake?” Marty yawned.

“He’s always wide awake, he’s a fucking zombie,” Rachael smiled. I tried to laugh but I couldn’t, I don’t think anyone can, we’re all too tired. Justin really does not need sleep. I don’t know why, I don’t think anyone knows why. He’s just not human.

Everyone got up when someone said the buses were there and dragged themselves out. I thought I’d take a minute before I get up. Everyone always rushes out and then we have to wait to put our bags under and get on the bus. And it’s so damn cold out there I’d rather let everyone else wait in the snow.

Justin sat down next to me and slapped my leg, “You’re coming on my bus right?”

“I’m tired.”

He stood up and pulled me up with him, “Dallas do you really think you’re going to sleep on the crowded, noisy bus?”

Justin is right; they’re always up goofing around. Although he’s not much better, “You’re going to actually let me sleep?”

“Yeah, we need to finish the shows.”

How is that letting me sleep? I guess I can sleep while he watches the shows. Although if it’s anything like last night I won’t, He seriously kept asking me every ten minutes, “You up Dallas? Don’t sleep on me.”

“Come on please? Don’t make me stay by myself it’s boring.”

I laughed, “Why don’t you come on our bus?”

“It’s too loud and crowded,” he tilted his head towards his bus, “Please?”

“Yeah, but you have to let me sleep a little, and not hog the covers.”

Justin laughed as I followed him onto his bus and pulled his backpack off his back, “I’ll do you one better Dallas,” he said as he pulled the blanket out of his bag.

“You really stole a blanket from…”

“It’s a comfortable blanket,” he broke in with a smile, “And I don’t want to hear your bitching.”

“OK, well I’m going to go sleep in your bed and you can just stay up front.”






“Yeah alright, you’re funny,” I fell onto the bed.

“But you’re not even tired.”

“Who says I’m not tired? I’m tired,” everything thinks that just because I don’t mope around and act like I’m dead that I’m not tired. I haven’t slept for more than 4 hours a night for the past ten years of my life. I’m tired. I think I’ll always be tired, it’s just a feeling I learn to live with. But if there’s ever an opportunity to sleep I’ll take it.

I fell asleep about as fast as my head hit the pillow. When I woke up it was dark and we weren’t moving. There’s no way I slept all day. “Are you up Dallas?”

“I am now,” she answered softly, “What time is it?”

I reached for my cell phone, “3:30.” It’s only 3:30 why is it so dark out?

“In the morning? Why is it so dark?”

“I don’t know, why are we stopped?”

“I don’t know I just woke up,” she sat up and pushed the curtain away from the window, “Oh shit, look at all that snow.”

Damn, it looks like there’s five feet of snow. I guess that would explain why we’re not moving. But it doesn’t look like we’re at the hotel, or even a fucking gas station, it looks like we’re pulled off on the side of the road.

I walked up to the front of the bus with Dallas following closely. Tyler, the bus driver, was sitting there watching television, “What’s going on?”

“Good Morning,” he smiled and put the television on mute, “The storm was a lot worse than we thought. We were going to pull off at the next exit but it’s not for another ten miles and there’s no way I could drive in this weather. So I pulled over and thought we’d wait it out for a little and then get to the next stop.”

“Yeah, I have a show though,” we can’t just stop.

“They canceled it Justin, did you look outside? They’re already saying it’s the biggest blizzard since 1978 and it’s still snowing.”

I don’t even want to deal with this shit right now. I have never cancelled one of my shows in my life. I don’t care if it’s the biggest blizzard since the beginning of time. We need to get to wherever the hell the show is. I went to the back room and grabbed my cell phone calling my mother then Johnny then Rachael. Everyone told me the same shit. There’s nothing we can do. I don’t believe in that. I think there’s always something we can do. Get a fucking helicopter. I don’t care.

Dallas came back and sat on the bed as I continued pacing around, “You’re like seriously pissed huh?”

I didn’t even look at her, “Yeah I’m pissed. I’ve never cancelled a show before.”

“Justin there’s like three feet of snow out there, what do you want to do?”

“I don’t know we’ll figure something out. They just cancel it and don’t even try to do something.”

“Justin there is three feet of snow out there.”

“I heard you the first fucking time. Don’t they have plows?”

“Yeah, so we could go and pick up every single kid that would go to the show,” she answered sarcastically, “It’s not your fault.”

“People come from all over to come to the show.”

“And I’m sure they couldn’t get there. They’re probably all stranded like we are. No cars can get there, no plane will fly in. So who cares? They stay home when there’s a blizzard and they go see your show in a few months when there is not three feet of snow. Everyone wins.”

I took a deep breath, I know she’s right but it still pisses me off.

“Whose bright idea was it to do a tour in the middle of the winter?”

I looked at her for the first time since she came back here and smiled when I saw her smile, “Not mine, that’s for damn sure.”

“Seriously. You have idiots working for you,” she laughed, “Want to go play?”

“What?”

“In the snow, want to go play in the snow?”

“You’re crazy,” there’s three feet of snow out there and she wants to go play in it.

“OK, are you coming or am I going by myself?”

I pulled another pair of sweatpants over the pair I was already wearing and a few shirts under my jacket. “Do you have gloves?”

“Oh shit, they’re on the other bus.”

“Sucks for you,” I laughed as I pulled a pair of gloves on my hands.

“You don’t have an extra pair?” I shook my head and she took a deep breath, “I’d give you a pair of mine.”

“Yeah but yours wouldn’t fit me. And it’s cold I need two pairs.” I laughed the way she looked at me, she’s the pissed off one now and then threw a pair at her.

“Thank you, they’re huge though.”

“You’re welcome, I got big hands. You know what they say, big hands big…”

“Gloves,” she broke in.

“Well kind of a glove, I mean some people can cover it with a glove…”

“Oh my gosh, shut up.”

I threw my head back as I laughed, “Am I making you uncomfortable Dallas?”

“You always make me uncomfortable Hollywood. I can’t even get them on they’re so big.”

I pulled my gloves off so I could help her get hers on, “OK, we’re good?”

She nodded her head and walked to the door. When we opened it she literally jumped into a pile of snow. She’s way too excited to see snow. “Have you ever seen snow before Dallas?”

“Yes, I’ve seen snow before, have you?”

“Of course, you’re acting like you’ve never seen it before.”

“I’ve never seen this much snow before,” she said as she threw snow in my face and ran away.

“Real mature Dallas, real mature,” I chased after her, throwing snowballs.

“I can’t make a snowball with these gloves! Wait, it’s not fair.”

“It’s not fair,” I mimicked, “Life isn’t fair.”

“OK Dad, wait wait wait!” she screamed and I stopped in my tracks, “There’s a hill.”

“Thank you, Captain Obvious.” I threw a snowball at her.

“Stop, wait. Let’s go sledding.”

“Do you have a sled in your pocket or what?” I don’t know how she suggests we go sledding.

“You have to have something on the bus we can use as a sled,” she ran back to the bus and came back no more than two seconds later holding up the top of a large storage container, “Perfect sled! I’m first.” She ran up the hill.

“No, it’s my lid, I’m first,” I raced her up the hill.

“No Justin, I found it. I go first,” she said sternly.

“No Dallas, it’s mine I go first,” I grabbed it from her and sat down on it. She’s pissed now. I laughed, “Get on, there’s room.”

She sat down in front of me and pushed back so she was practically in my lap, “OK, let’s go.”

“Are you ready? You ready?”

“I’m ready, come on.”

“Are you sure you’re ready for this Dallas? It could be dangerous.”

“You are so annoying, just go,” her laughter turned into screaming as we went down the hill, “That’s so fun, let’s go again. This time I want the back.”

“You can’t have the back.”

“Why not?”

“You’re too light, we’ll flip over.”

“That’s so not true.”

“Alright, try it then, we’re going to flip.”

“We are not,” she’s always right. Or at least she always thinks she’s right. We are going to flip and I can’t wait for it just to say I told you so. I sat down in front of her and leaned back so we wouldn’t flip as soon as we take off. She wrapped her arms around my waist hugging me tightly, “I’m scared now, you got me scared.”

I laughed, “Nah, we’re not going to flip, nothing to worry about,” I answered sarcastically as I pushed off. We took off down the hill and flipped right away then rolled down the rest of the hill, “Told ya.”

“You fixed that, you did it on purpose,” she laughed. We both lay in the snow laughing too hard to even move. “It’s so pretty out here, you can see every star in the world. And look at the moon, it’s huge.”

“Yeah, it’s beautiful,” I wasn’t really looking at the sky; I was too focused on her. I laughed to clear my thoughts, “You’re the only person in the world that is contemplating the stars and the moon when we’re stranded on a bus in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard.”

“Well I’m trying to focus on something other than the fact that we’re probably going to die out here. And I’m stranded here with you, the last person in the world I would want to be stranded with.” There was a smile on her face as she spoke and I didn’t for a second believe that was she was saying was true.

“The feeling is mutual.”

“Well good, I’m glad we’re on the same page. Let’s go down the hill one more time and then get some food, I’m starving.”

“Alright.”

“Alright,” she answered and threw a pile of snow in my face, “I’ll race you up there!”

Dallas was long gone before I could even get up. I’m a fast kid though; I caught right up to her, wrapped my hands around her waist and threw her out of the way so I could grab the sled. “How do you want it Dallas? From the front or from the back?”

“I want the front.”

“Good choice,” I gave her a smile and she rolled her eyes.

“Wait, we should try standing up on it.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Why not?” I laughed, “You really think that’s safe?”

“Well… probably not but it’d be fun.”

I shook my head and laughed, this girl really is crazy, “Yeah it’d be fun except we’re stranded and can’t get to the hospital when you break your leg.”

“OK, but if someone breaks their leg all they’d really say is put ice on it and there’s snow everywhere.”

“If you break your leg you don’t just put ice on it Dallas.”

She laughed, “Well yeah, I’m not going to break it. If it’s just bruised a little you put ice on it.”

“I need you to dance so you’re not going down a hill standing on top of a Tupperware lid. Sorry Dallas.”

“OK, then you do it first and test it out for me,” she thinks she’s funny.

“Alright, I’ll get right on that.”

“Perfect,” she smiled, “Thanks Justin.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story