I lean back against the door-frame, cross my ankles and fold my arms over my chest, watching from the end of the hall as the backpack clad children step into view.

I smile when Callie steps into the hall, she immediately looks down the hall at me and I can't help but wink at her and give her a cheesy thumbs up. She's so nervous and it's really very endearing. I remember feeling that way. Lord, I sound like I've been doing this for years and years, and you'd think since I've changed grades I might be a little closer to where she's at but I'm not.

I sympathize with how Sherry is treating her. Sherry really has some stick up her ass when it comes to young teachers. She was pretty short with me when I was first hired, and the only thing I really remember was that she made sure to point out that employee's dating is something that she really "frowned-upon." Which is really strange because I was the only person in the building at that time that was under the age of 40.

Sherry's probably flipped her lid now that Callie's here. But, she's really got nothing to worry about. Callie's sweet, and yea she's pretty damn gorgeous... and yea there's just something about her that makes me want to be around her. She's got this amazing smile. But I haven't really thought about any woman since Jenn left. Callie's just someone I know is going to be a great friend. It's nice to have a new person in the building, especially one that doesn't talk about 401K's and how their kids are graduating next year.

Anyway, I watch a little boy step up near Callie and she leans down towards him for a moment before standing back up and motioning for him to come into her room, I'm pretty sure she was telling him to find an empty cubby for his book-bag and I'm hoping she took my advice and laid out some games on her rug. I'm guessing she did something like that because she's out in the hall again about three seconds later and she glances back at me again.

It's like in a split second the girl who was approaching a level 5 freak-out a half hour ago has morphed into a completely new person. She smiles again and of course I can't help but return it. She seems like the type of person who can make light of any situation. I guess she's definitely in the right profession. I raise an eyebrow at her wondering if she'll get my silent question as to how she's doing. I suppose she does because she nods slightly and then returns my cheesy thumbs up.

If I give it a moment I'd probably start thinking about how weird it was that we just did that. But...

"Mr. T!"

I hear a few familiar voices call out my name and that small smile breaks into a full on grin as I recognize some of my students from last year heading right for me. Thats one of the major benefits of switching up a grade, especially in such a small school. I was really happy with my roster, half of my students this year are students from my class last year.

"Hey Lilly. How was your summer?" I kneel down as one of them finally slows to a stop in front of me.

"It was great Mr. T, I went to Disney World and I got a new puppy and I named her Tinkerbell but last week I heard my Mommy tell Daddy that we should have named her Tinkle-Bell because she likes to pee on the living room carpet... and I was really excited when Mommy told me that you was gonna be my teacher again."

She finally runs to the end of her breath and I laugh lightly, and shake my head. "Wow Lilly, it sounds like you had a really great summer. and I think Tinkerbell is a great name for a puppy. And I'm excited to be your teacher again too. Go ahead inside and find your desk okay?"

She nods and runs in, and I don't really have time to think before a few more students are there, ready to talk my ear off too. Before they can start I tell them that once everyone gets here we'll all talk about our summer's, because quite frankly I'd be standing in the hall all morning otherwise.

"Morning Justin." I turn my head and see Henry Turner, the other third grade teacher who has the room across the hall from mine, nodding at me. Students keep searching out their rooms and I walk towards the middle of the hall just to get a better view.

"Morning."

He doesn't speak for a few seconds and I look up the hall at Callie again as she's leaning down to speak with a little boy. I can almost hear the smile in his voice when Henry speaks again.

"Have you met her yet?" I don't even think to ask who he's talking about.

"Yea. I came in a few weeks ago to set up my room and she was in figuring it all out." I know I'm smiling when I think about our first meeting.

I shift the box higher after turning the corner to head towards my room. I love how quiet the building always is at this time of year. It's a nice change. For me it's surprising that I even think that because change in and of itself isn't something I'm fond of.

The doors lining the hall are closed, windows dark. The school year won't be starting for another three weeks and I'm the only one who ever comes in this early to set up. What can I say, for the last 26 years of my life I've taken a vacation the week before school starts and I'm not going to stop now. I'm a creature of habit I suppose. Especially now.

I keep walking towards my room and I notice that the door to the room next to mine is wide open and as I get closer I hear someone moving around inside. It takes me a second and then I remember that there is a new teacher this year and relax.

I stop outside the door and look in, expecting to see someone bordering on retirement, muttering about how things 'ain't what they used to be' because that pretty much sums up the type of person I know Sherry was looking for. Far be it for her to hire someone young and fresh who can add a little life to this place. However, when my eyes land on this new addition to the building my jaw drops slightly.

This woman looks to be in her early 20's, she's probably just out of school and even though her back is to me, the hand that's pressed to her forehead as she stares down into the box at her feet makes me believe that not only is she new to the building, but she's new all around.

I can't help but scan her over while I have the chance. She has long, wavy blond hair. She's dressed in a pair of white shorts that definitely show off an amazing pair of legs, among other things, and a black tank top, with these tiny little straps. She's tan and fit and I'm willing to bet money on the idea that her face is probably just as beautiful as the rest of her.

She bends down and picks up the box at her feet and starts to stand up. I know she's going to be turning around so I can't just stare.

"Hey." I steady the box in one arm and reach out to knock lightly on her door. It isn't much of an effort to smile, but that instantly changes to a look of worry when the box in her hands drops onto her foot and she swears, dropping down to one knee to hold her toe.

That was smooth. Real smooth. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

She looks up at me. I cross the room quickly and set my box down next to hers, immediately kneeling down next to her, I am trying to focus on making sure I didn't do any permanent damage but all I can think about was how much money I could have made on that gamble. She is gorgeous.

"Are you okay?" I don't even realize that I am reaching out to touch her until I actually feel her skin under my fingertips and see her jump and jerk her eyes up to meet mine. I pull my hand back and stand up. She does the same.

I rack my brain for something to say. Right now I feel like an idiot. So run with my first thought from when I was walking down the hall and saw the open door 10 minutes ago. "I didn't expect to find anyone in else in the building. Are you new?"

She nods. "Yes." Even her voice is beautiful dammit.

"Where are you coming from?"

I see her look me over, I kind of wish I knew what she was thinking. She smiles slightly. "UNC. I just graduated."

I was right. "Oooh." I laugh when she blushes. "That's why you're in here settig up now. You're really new." Now she's got that deer in headlights look so I smile and hold out my hand.

"By the way, I'm Justin... Justin Timberlake."

She slowly reaches out and places her hand in mine. "Callie Harrington." And then she blows me away with the full effect of what I already knew was one amazing smile.

"She seems like a nice girl." He nods.

"She's great."

"I'll have to go introduce myself some time today." He takes a breath. "She's a pretty girl too."

My head snaps to the side and my eyebrows raise with the dumbfounded expression I give him, but I nod slowly and relax. He's kind of weirding me out a little, I don't know what he's getting at. First of all, he's married and second of all... he's old enough to be her father.

"Don't you think so?" He asks, a small smile greeting me.

"No... she is." I finally say and shift my feet, staring at the for a moment and then I look up to see the hallway emptying out as the last few students are wandering around.

Suddenly he claps me on the back. "Well then. It looks like I've got all mine so... I should probably get in there. Are you nervous at all about the grade shifting. I've got a lot of stuff for you to take a look at if you like."

"Yea..." I nod. "That would be great. But no, I'm feeling alright. I'm excited, but not nervous."

"Good for you." He nods. "Alright, have a good day then Justin."

"You too." He nod back at him and he head into his room. A quick look in the room, with a head count lets me know I have all of mine too but I linger in the hall for a minute longer, just long enough to see Callie turn around just once more and smile at me before heading into her room.

I smile back and I look into my room, for the first time wondering why I'm not just the least bit nervous. I mean, I spent the last six years figuring out second grade and now I'm pretty much starting all over. But I feel surprisingly relaxed and I don't really know why.

Well, that's not entirely true. If I actually stop to think about it, I think it's because I've been very preoccupied with making Callie feel a little less nervous. I'm sure if I'd really been thinking about it I'd be a bit more apprehensive but I remember coming to this school and being ready to shit a brick. I was all alone.

And Sherry was no help either. She spent more time worrying that I was looking for a date then whether or not I knew what I was doing as an actual teacher. She only came to observe my lessons maybe twice throughout the entire year, but she found time to come and sit in on every parent-teacher conference I had with a single mother.

I'm pretty sure she'll do the same thing to Callie, maybe even be harder on her because of me. Which is ridiculous because even if I did think of Callie that way, after the hell Sherry put me through I wouldn't even think about going there. My job and hers would be gone in 10 seconds flat.

The hallway is starting to clear out now, and Callie turns around once again and smiles at me. There it is again, and I have to admit that smile alone is going to make it difficult though.

Something's gotta make me feel alright
I don't know what it is
But something's gotta give

Chapter End Notes:
"Somethings Gotta Give" -LeAnn Rimes


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin