Author's Chapter Notes:
soo apparently i should get stuck in airports more often because my 5 hour layover has brought you the next chapter very quickly. Don't get used to this!! haha. But hey at least you aren't left hanging for an extensive amount of time. Comments pleeeaaase!!
I rest the back of my head against the seat and listen to the country music floating from the radio and flooding the car as I sit in the parking lot at that oh so familiar sandwich shop.

It's a little funny that this has become "our" place. We have a place, Justin and I. And apparently, we are a "we" as well. My eyes open and I sit up a little straighter, shocked at the thought that has passed through my brain.

I guess there really isn't a question as to whether or not I do feel something for him. Interesting.

I really want to know what Sherri had to say to him. I'm sure an earful with the way she was staring us down when she came in my room. For God's sakes we were just talking. She really has issues.

I rest my head back again and hum along with an older Rascal Flatts song.

"I meeelllt every time you look at me that way. It never faaaaaiiiillls any time, any place. This burn in me is the coolest thing I've ever felt. I meeeelllll..." For some reason I can't help but sing along and I get lost in the song until there is a light knock on my window.

Dammit, he's done it again.

He's laughing as I clutch my chest and glare at him. "You just couldn't let me win today could you?" I ask.

"It's just too easy." He smiles. "Are we gonna go inside?"

"We can just sit out here." I reply, not really wanting to have what could be a very awkward conversation in front of strangers.

"Okay." He doesn't question it, instead just walks around the car and climbs into the passenger seat.

"Maybe you should start working music into your classroom. Or can you only belt it out in cars?" He grins when he successfully makes me blush.

I don't know what is more embarrassing, being caught singing in the car in general, or having him be the one that caught me.

"You're just still pissed off that I creamed you at that game. You scared I can out-sing you too?"

"Whoa no girl, I just heard you sing, so I'm not even gonna challenge you there. You've got a set of pipes." His eyes lock with mine and I fall silent.

He just complimented me, and I really liked it.

At the moment though, I am not really sure how to react to that and our gaze breaks and we both just breathe.

"So, did Sherri have anything interesting to offer?"

He sighs. "Not really. I don't know what the hell she is so... um worried about." He starts, but then clears his throat and contemplates what he's just said before he continues. "But she was not so subtly trying to get me to not go to the conference. She said that she really only needed one person from the school to go and that it was nice of me to offer. I said that I was actually interested in what the conference was about but I told her that I might not be able to go after all and would get back to her." He says.

"Why wouldn't you be able to go?"

"Well... I kind of wanted to make sure that it was alright with you." He replies and my jaw drops just slightly.

"Oh." So we're jumping right into this.

"I just... I'm sorry about what happened Monday and I know that I've made you uncomfortable and I don't really know why I did it."

His eyebrows are furrowed making wrinkles in his forehead and his blue eyes look a little glossy. He's really falling into this apology. I don't know if I should stop him or let him work it out. For the moment, it's cute so I'll just let him go.

"I really messed up and I know I sound like an ass but I don't want that to screw up our relationship." He stutters. "I mean our professional relationship and our friendship. I didn't mean to say out relationship."

I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. He's severely stressing out with this and if he would just shut up I would tell him it's alright but he keeps going.

"I guess I was just... I don't know happy to have someone to talk to and I..."

I can't take this anymore. We're both slightly turned in our seats facing each other but his head his turned and he's looking out the windshield or down at his hands as he rambles. I reach my hands up and hold onto his jaw, forcing him to look at me.

"Justin, for the love of GOD I beg you to stop talking."

"I'm sorry?" He says and I drop my hands.

"Stop apologizing. Damn."

"I just wanted you to know that it was a mistake and that I am sorry I put you in such an awkward situation."

I think for a moment. "Why do you think that you need to say you're sorry?"

"Well the way you reacted. It was pretty clear that I freaked you out."

I laugh when he says that.

"Yea, I suppose I did freak out didn't I?"

"Yes. And avoided me and I don't want you to think that I was only hanging around you and helping you out because I thought that it might..."

"Don't even go there." I really hope he wasn't going to say what I think he was going to say. I never would have thought he was just trying to get something from me. "Those thoughts hadn't entered my mind."

"Oh." He looks down at his hands again.

"Well now they have." I smirk when he looks up quickly, already searching for the words to get out of that, but when he sees my face he relaxes.

He breathes deeply.

"Justin it was only a kiss." I say finally. "I am really not offended."

"You're sure it's okay?"

"Yea. I probably should have come and talked to you sooner. I really miss you coming to my room every morning." I smile.

"Well, I miss coming down there." He smiles back and theres an easy silence that falls between us. We both stare through the windshield. So he knows that I'm fine with the fact that he kissed me. And he says that he doesn't know why he did it, but thats bullshit. I could let him get away with it and we could go on with our lives here and I'm pretty sure we'd both be miserable. I know I'd be miserable anyway.

I've finally decided that I don't mind possibly figuring out where something between us could lead. Screw Sherri and her stupid rules. Who is she to decide what I do with my personal life? Or what Justin does with his? As long as it doesn't have any effects on how well we do our jobs there shouldn't be an issue. He's not my boss and we don't even teach the same grade.

Maybe it's simply because I have faith in taking leaps of faith, but all signs are saying that he is someone I was supposed to meet. There was a reason I got the job out here and there is a reason why I wasn't scared to take off to the middle of nowhere and perhaps this is it.

He's told me he hasn't dated anyone since Jenn left. I can't really completely imagine how much she must have hurt him but even if he doesn't realize it, he's moving on.

He's an amazing man that I've just started to get to know. And I really want to know more.

He knows why he kissed me. And I am going to get him to admit it.

"Justin?" He looks at me. "Why did you kiss me?"

His jaw locks and he looks away from me again.

"I don't know."

"Justin, there are a lot of things that people just 'don't know' but reasons for kissing someone isn't something that just slips your mind." He doesn't speak and it kind of seems like he's pretty much refusing to talk. I forgot how stubborn and blind and childish men could be. If they can't brush it off they would rather ignore it.

"Fine. You don't have to answer that question. But you do have to answer this one." He turns to look at me again and unreadable expression on his face.

"Do you want to kiss me again?"

He jolts to the side, and if I thought his eyes were wide before, they are almost falling out of their sockets now. I don't know where I got the balls to say that but there's no taking it back now.

My heart starts to race as I wait for some kind of answer from him. I can hear it beating stronger and it seems like hours are just flying by.

He tongue darts across his lips nervously and I'm pretty sure that he feels caught in a catch 22. If he says yes he fears that I might worry that he is really only looking for a less the professional relationship and take that negatively. And if he says no, that I might actually be hurt. In my head it can't be any clearer; I want him to kiss me.

But he has to figure that out.

The volume never changed, but the radio seems louder.

"...whole world could change in a minute. Just one kiss could stop it spinning..."

Its ironic how so often a song can say the things that you can't.

"Yes." He replies finally, just seconds before his hand lifts to my cheek and he leans over the center console. My eyes close and my head tilts and I breathe in just before his lips touch mine.

It really feels like the car is spinning, but at the same time the entire world has indeed stopped to give us this moment.

My hand drifts up to his wrist and holds his palm against my cheek and his other hand reaches for my shoulder and slides down my arm to stop at my elbow and my hand rests against his forearm. I lean towards him, just the slightest bit frustrated by the armrest in between us.

He pulls back just a bit to lick his lips again and tilt his head in the other direction before closing his mouth over mine again and the feel of his lips and heat of his body mixed with the scent of his cologne or aftershave or whatever is just delicious.

His lips coax mine open just a little bit and I feel his tongue slide across my bottom lip but he doesn't push it. He pulls away slightly yet again and then kisses me once more before completely leaning back. It wasn't too little, it wasn't too much. Just perfect for a first... well I guess, second kiss.

I open my eyes and see him staring back at me, his teeth biting down on the corner of his bottom lip.

"I uh..."

"I swear Justin if you even attempt to apologize for that I will slap you."

He laughs, and I laugh and we completely bypass that possible awkward moment where we talk about what just happened. I'm hoping we're past that, because I'm expecting a lot more of this in the future.

"So..." He trails off and I look at him.

"I'm guessing you still want me to come to that conference with you?" He grins and winks at me.

Oh yes, I definitely want to know where this is headed.

 

Come on, come on turn a little faster
Come on, come on the world will follow after
Come on, come on and the world's a little brighter
Chapter End Notes:

"I Melt" -Rascal Flatts
"Want To"-Sugarland

"Accidentally in Love" -Counting Crows

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin