Chapter 12

 

“I really like that kid."  Meredith said as she stepped back into Justin's car after dropping Jonathan back at his moms.

 

"Yeah, me too."

 

Justin put the car in reverse and Meredith studied his face as he looked over his shoulder, backing out. "I bet you were just like him, weren't you?"

 

"Nah, I was more of a mommy's boy.  I whined a lot more."

 

Meredith smirked, "You still do."

 

"I'd watch it if I were you." He pointed a finger at her while watching the road.  She pretended to bite at it, and he smiled at her.

 

"I'm changing the subject, why are we going towards town and not back to your place?"

 

"I thought I'd take you home."

 

"Oh..." Meredith bowed her head and looked down at her hands.

 

Justin noticed this and felt bad. "We can turn around if you want."

 

She sighed. "No, this is fine.  I just wish I could have some alone time with you.  Just you and me.  No fellow *Nsyncers.  No younger brothers.  Just Meredith and Justin."

 

"I don't have anything to do tonight.  Why don't we just chill at your place.  You can make me some of that spaghetti you keep telling me about.  We can watch movies. You can give me another fashion show. Oh cant you just taste the fun?"

 

"Well, look at you.  Just a box of ideas.  All right, lets head back to my place.  But you can't stay all night, I have church in the morning."  Meredith smiled at him

 

"It's only 3:45, g."

 

"I know, but movies, fashion show, and pasta.  It might take some time.  Plus, who knows what kind of crazy things are on your mind."  He glanced at her confused and she winked at him.

 

"What's THAT supposed to mean?"

 

She said matter-of-factly, "I think you know."

 

"Actually, I don't. Why don't you explain.."

 

Meredith sighed and looked out the window.  "Justin, you were giving me some weird signals today.  Like the whole getting jealous thing, the kiss thing in the pool.  And I was really embarrassed when you brought up that whole nipply thing."  He quietly giggled at that.

 

"Listen, I'm sorry.  I have a lot of things on my mind."

 

She looked at his profile, "Wanna talk about it?"

 

"Maybe later.  Let's just sing to the radio. Hey this is a great song.  Whoever sings this must be one hell of a group."  Justin turned up the radio and Nsync's "It's gonna be me" was on. Meredith groaned and when he was looking in his blind spot, changing lanes, she immediately changed the station. He whipped his head back around and looked at her.  She was staring out the window trying to contain her laughter.

 

"I thought I told you nobody touches my radio."

 

"I guess my name is just NOBODY then." She finally let out some giggles

 

"You annoy me." He mocked her from earlier in the day.

 

"I'm only hungry for you...muah!"  Meredith lowered her voice to mock him.

 

"OH LOOKIE WERE HERE!"  Justin said sarcastically happy. For some reason he was getting pissed off. He parked his car, got out, and slammed the door shut.  He walked in a huff to the entrance of the apartment and noticed Meredith wasn't with him.  He looked back at his car and locked it when he saw she was just now getting out. 

 

"Why don't you just take FOREVER!!"  He yelled throwing his hands up in the air.  She shut the car door quietly and walked up to his steaming face.  She looked up at him.  He stared down back at her face.  She gently shook her head and pressed the code for the front door to enter.  She stepped inside and shut it quickly behind her and turned the inside bolt lock.  He knew the code and tried to enter it into the panel but nothing happen.  She had locked Justin out.  He looked at her in shock and she just shrugged. 

 

"What are you doing?"  He called after her as she turned and walked away.  She stopped and stepped back closer to the glass.  Her voice was muffled through the glass door but he still heard her loud and clear.

 

She looked down at his shoes on the other side of the glass. "I don't know WHAT your problem is.  But you obviously don't want to be near me right now. Why don't you just go home?  I'll see you at work on Monday."  She finally raised her eyes to meet his.  "You haven't given me that type of angry look in a LONG time."  Meredith quietly mumbled the last part; "It scares me."

 

"It what?"  Justin asked annoyed not quite hearing her. 

 

"IT SCARES ME!"  She yelled through the glass, her eyes glaring at him.  He bowed his head and touched the glass with his fingertips.

 

"Angel, I know I've been acting weird all day.  I'm sorry.  Please I NEED to spend this time with you.  Next weekend is that barbecue and then after that we have to start pre-tour stuff.  This is the ONLY time I have to spend with just you and me.  PLEASE!" 

 

She let out a loud sigh, turned the lock, and pushed the door open.  He smiled brightly and stepped in the door and closed it behind him.  He just smiled at her and she rolled her eyes.

 

"I'm sorry." He said in a little kid's voice bringing out the puppy dog look.  She groaned and dragged him to the stairs and started stomping up them.

 

"Don't wake up the neighbors angel."  Justin chuckled.

 

"Why do you always get your way?"  She grumbled.

 

He thought for a moment not really knowing what she was getting at. "Because I'm Justin Timberlake of *Nsync??"

 

"No, seriously.  No matter what you say to me, I almost ALWAYS give in."  She put her key in her door and opened it.

 

"I just have a way with you I guess."  He followed her into her apartment.  She sighed and looked at him thinking.

 

"I smell like chlorine.  I'm going to go take a quick shower.  You can take one after me if you want.  Don't mess anything up."  She smirked and walked down the hallway to her room as Justin plopped down on the couch and turned on the TV.

 

-----------

Meredith loved the feel of the warm water trickling down her back.  She let her head fall back and the water ran over her face, through her hair, and made her feel much more relaxed.

 

With college and work, she had become really stressed out.  Today was supposed to be a good day for relaxation but for some reason she felt extremely tired and stressed.  She hadn't had a lot of sleep the night before because of certain nightmares about Dan and Justin waking her up early didn't help.  She was stressed in the morning because of meeting Justin's mom and brother. 

 

As the water fell onto her she was reminded of the pool.  How Justin had looked dripping wet.  How he would smile at her and she would lose all thought.  Then there was the whole kissing thing.  She knew he was doing that on purpose.  It was if he wanted to know he could have her, but didn't do anything about it.

 

Just as that thought swarmed her another one hit her blindside.  When they were eating lunch and he was kissing her shoulders and neck.  She remembered not being able to breathe as his velvet lips slid across her skin. 

 

He was confusing her.  And she was confusing herself even more.  She loved him, yeah, that was a given.  But how deeply did she love him?  Lynn's words kept running again and again through her brain.  She would kill for him.  He was everything to her.  And, yeah, now they were back together.  Living minutes apart, working together.  The distance was what prevented them from being a couple before.  What was stopping them now?

 

Maybe it wasn't the distance that prevented them.  NO, it wasn't the distance at all.  Meredith knew she would be back in Orlando someday.  Why did she stop it before?  And why was this stressing her out now?  She knew it would be hard for her to love someone because of her past. But Justin had proved her wrong.  He had shown her just how easy it was to love someone. 

 

She rinsed all the shampoo out of her hair and applied conditioner.  She wondered what Justin was doing at that very moment?  Was he watching TV?  Snooping around her house?  Why did she care? 

 

She was getting a headache thinking so much so she decided to sing a hymn to calm her down.  She sang "I have decided to follow Jesus".  But for the first time in her life, it didn't work.  She finished the hymn and was still thinking about him.  She was now even more worked up about it than before.  Meredith stood there shocked as the water poured over her.  It was the first time this had happen.  Justin consumed all of her thoughts.  Questions came to her like a magnet.  Why was she letting him get to her?  What were her feelings?  What were his feelings? What was he doing right now?  Why was he acting strange all day?  Why did the hymn singing not calm her down?  Why was Justin able to invade her every thought?

 

And then the answer hit her like a brick.

 

She was IN love with him.

 

She opened her mouth in shock and immediately clamped it shut.  A smile came out of nowhere.  She had no clue why she was smiling.  She shut off the water and just stood there in the shower for a moment.  A soft giggle came from her as she opened the shower door.  All of her stress was gone and only one word could describe her.  Happy.  Meredith took a towel and dried herself off and wrapped the towel tightly around her body.  Another towel was wrapped around her soaked hair.  She stepped out of the shower and went over to a mirror.  She wiped of the fog and gave herself a good long stare. 

 

-Oh my gosh! What am I going to do?  I love him. I'm in love with him. Oh wow! -

 

She was giddy.  She was ecstatic.  It was the first time this had ever happened to her, and she couldn't wipe the smile off her face for anything.  It was permanent. She sighed and opened the bathroom door still looking at herself in the mirror.  She stepped out the door and finally looked in that direction.  She wasn't expecting what came next.

 

A pair of familiar arms pressed her slightly wet body to his clothed one.  His swift movements made the towel around her hair fall to the ground and her wet strands scattered around her face. The water had caused them to become dark ebony and her cheeks were a bit pink from the steamy shower. She looked up and saw the familiar blue eyes gazing into hers.  His hand was pressed firmly against the small of her back and his other came up to cup her cheek and slightly run through her damp hair.  She was limp by his touch.  He just stayed like that staring at her.  What was she supposed to do?  Say something? Say nothing?

 

She chose the first.

 

"Justin, what are you doing?" She whispered staring back at him

 

"I can't take this anymore."  He said bringing his face closer to hers.

 

"Take what?"

 

"Not being able to love you like I want to."  He closed the gap and touched her lips with his.  She felt heavenly to him.  He needed to feel her lips against his.  He needed this.  He was in love with her and he couldn't take the games they were both playing anymore.

 

She was shocked.  She was frightened.  She had just convinced herself she was in love with him, but why was she scared?  She knew exactly why.  Dan.

 

"STOP!"  She yelled against his mouth and pushed him away from her.  His shoulders slumped.  Why was she doing this, now?

 

"Meredith..." He began.

 

"NO. Just stop."  She was breathing deeply.  She couldn't catch her breath.  She was choking up.  She quickly walked to her closet and pulled out a robe.  She wrapped it around her and tied it tightly.  She walked over to a dresser and pulled out a pair of underwear.  She dropped the towel underneath her robe and quickly pulled on her underwear.  Justin wondered what she was doing.  Was she trying to tease him?  No.  He could tell.  Something was wrong.

 

When she was a little more dressed than before she sighed with relief and turned around, forgetting Justin was still there.  She stopped abruptly and returned his intense stare.  She wanted to break it.  She had to, for her own sanity.  But she couldn't. 

 

He took a small step forward.  He was so confused.  He didn't understand what was happening.  When she saw him take a step forward she took a step back and looked up at him in horror.

 

"Meredith, why are you scared of me?"  He whispered.  This caused her breathing to stop.  After a few seconds she let it all out.  With one deep exhale she let everything in her out.  She let the tears roll down her cheeks.  She wailed in sorrow.

 

"I, I'm not scared of...of you."  She sobbed. "I'm scared of what I might do to you." 

 

He understood.  She was afraid the same thing would happen to him, as what happened to Dan.  It still tormented her.  How could it not?  He took 2 huge steps towards her and wrapped his arms around her. He rubbed her back as she sobbed into his chest. 

 

"Shhhhh, you aren't going to hurt me.  You cant.  I won't let you."

 

"Why did it happen? Why did he have to change? I don't want you to change." She whispered.

 

"God won't let this happen to his angel twice. He just won't. I'm not going to change, Meredith.  I'm not going to change."

 

She finally wrapped her slender arms around him and held on to him as if he was all she had.  In her mind, he WAS all she had.

 

"It's happened Justin." She finally stated into his chest, bringing a hand up and wiping the tears.

 

"What's happened?"

 

"I've fallen for you."

 

He stopped rubbing her back. He stopped breathing.  His heart stopped.  His world stopped. She had said the one thing he had dreamed of her saying to him, from the first day he met her.

 

Suddenly his heart started beating at a rapid pace.  He thought it was going to explode.  He was sure Meredith could hear it thumping in his chest.  He looked down at her still clinging on to him and with one hand he lifted her head to look up at his.

 

"You...you've..you've what?"  He asked gasping for air.

 

"I've fallen for you."  She paused searching his eyes for understanding. "I'm in love with you."

 

He didn't have time to think. 

 

The next thing she knew his mouth was crushed to hers and their eyes were shut closed.  He was kissing her with passion and fire she had never witnessed.  She didn't realize that she was kissing him back with just as much passion and fire. 

 

Their tongues twisted and his lips consumed hers whole.  He breathed desperately out of his nose, but it wasn't enough.  His hands roamed across her spine and moved up and down from her hips to under her arms.  Her fingers hungrily ran through his curls and clawed his back.

 

Things were out of control.  They both needed each other.  Justin had been missing this type of love and Meredith had never experienced it.  The two put together were a lethal combination.

 

Meredith subcountiously had backed up to the edge of the bed.  When she realized there was no where else to move she gently laid back on it, never parting from his lips.   Justin didn't notice, but he was now crawling on top of her.  He leaned down and pressed his body into hers.  She moaned against his mouth when she was crushed between him and the bed.  She spread her legs and wrapped them tightly around his waist to become more comfortable and to get as close as possible to him.  As she did this and it only caused him to apply even MORE pressure and to slide his tongue MORE forcefully into her mouth.  He needed air.  She needed air.  So, he abruptly pulled away but didn't stop.

 

He caught a breath and moved towards her neck nibbling and sucking on every inch of it.  She tilted her head to one side to make it easier for him.  Her hands were clutching on his now untamed hair.  He groaned whenever she would clutch them tighter.  She had forgotten she had only a robe and underwear on.  She had forgotten almost everything at that moment.  All she knew was that Justin was so close to her and that his lips were the most amazing thing she had ever experienced. 

 

Justin had kissed every part of her neck and moved a little further to her collar.  He slid his body down hers a few inches to where her chin was resting on the top of his head and he was kissing her collarbone.  His tongue licked her sweet skin, but it also licked something else.

 

Something cold.  Something metal. 

 

Her cross.

 

He brought his tongue quickly back into his mouth and opened his eyes to stare down at it.  Meredith had stopped clutching his hair and was now cupping his face forcing him to look up at her.  He turned his head but remained focused on the cross.

 

"Look at me." She whispered.  He shook his head staring at the cross.

 

"Justin, Look...at..me!"  She demanded.  He reluctantly brought his eyes to her face and saw a smile.  Her smile.  Her beautiful bright smile shining through her redden lips.  He couldn't help but smile back.  Finally his eyes met hers and he felt a sigh of relief.  She wasn't mad.  She was happy.  He had made her happy.  And she had DEFIENTALY made him happy. Suddenly she began to giggle.  Soon the giggle turned into an all out laughing fest. 

 

Justin sat up on her bed and just watched her laugh.  He was curious as to what was so funny.

 

"What's so funny?"   She kept on laughing but held up her hand to try and show him to wait and let her finish. She rolled to her side clutching her stomach from laughing. Finally she quieted her laughter and looked up at him.  She sat up and looked him in the eyes. 

 

"Look's like you got a few pointers from your brother."  He opened his mouth in shock. But he couldn't help it.  Soon he was in a fit of laughter also.  After a few minutes of both of them laughing extremely hard, Justin spoke.

 

"Meredith, I'm sorry I got carried away." He looked down at her comforter of her bed that was now wrinkly and bunched up in places.

 

"It's just as much your fault as it was mine."  She got up and straightened her robe.

 

"I'm hungry.  And no, I'm not hungry for you. I've had all of you today that I think I can handle." she smirked and continued.

 

"Go in the kitchen and look at the notebooks beside the fridge on the counter.  There should be a black binder.  The first recipe in it is for my pasta sauce.  Will you find all the ingredients for me?  Just snoop around the kitchen."

 

"Sure, what are you going to do?"  He wiggled his eyebrows.

 

"I'm going to get dressed!  NOW GO!"  She shoed him out of her bedroom and he turned around and leaned down to kiss her but she slammed the door in his face and giggled.  She heard a "HEYYYY" coming from the other side of the door. 

 

Meredith leaned against the door and slid to the carpet. 

 

-OH MY GOD!!!!  That was, wow.  I kinda feel sluty.  But in a good way.  This is NOT a good sign. Don't have feelings like this towards him.  It's OK to be in love with him.  BUT DONT start wanting him.  Well you can WANT him, just don't act on it.  I don't know.  Back there was pretty good.  No back there was AWESOME.  But we were able to stop.  Yeah, we barely did. -

 

She looked down at her cross and kissed it and stood back up to get dressed.  For some reason she didn't feel any different than she had before.  Yeah, so she had just made out with one of the most wanted men in America. The man she was in love with. But her feelings weren't changed.  She felt just like she did 2 weeks ago.  Just like she did 2 months ago.  She felt a WHOLE lot different from 2 years ago.  She thought for a moment.

 

-Maybe I've been in love with him ever since I met him.  Maybe I just didn't see it. -

 

--------

Justin leaned against the counter looking at all the ingredients he had pulled out that were patiently waiting by the stove.  He wasn't so patient.  He had been waiting for about 20 minutes for Meredith to come in the kitchen.  He would have gone to see if she was all right sooner, but the phone had rang right after he left her room and he just figured she was still talking.

 

-But Meredith isn't the type of person to stay on the phone long. Hmmm-

 

Justin drummed his fingers across the counter in thought.  He quickly walked to the phone in the kitchen and picked it up.  He wasn't going to ease-drop, he just wanted to see if she was still talking on it or not.  He picked it up but there was no dial tone and no one was talking.

 

-What the hell? -

 

"Meredith?"  He called through the house.  When he didn't get a response he walked through her apartment to the hallway and lightly knocked on her bedroom door.

 

"G?  You OK?" 

 

No response.

 

"Meredith..." Justin said a little louder. 

 

No response.

 

A shock of freight washed over him.  He gently pushed the door open and scanned the room.  It was empty. 

 

Or so he thought.

 

"Where is she?" he mumbled peeking in the bathroom only to find it empty.  Just as he was about to walk out and check around the house he heard a faint sniffle. 

 

"Meredith is that you?"  He said walking towards where he heard the sound.  He slowly crept past the front of the bed and turned his head to the side. 

 

His heart broke.

 

There she was, finally dressed, but she was curled up on the floor beside the bed, clutching the phone and crying hysterically.

 

His breath caught in his throat but finally he found words.

 

"Meredith, what happened?"  He barely whispered and sat down on the carpet in front of her.  As soon as he did this she attacked him.  She held him so tightly he really thought he couldn't breathe.  She was still holding on to the phone.  Someone had called and it upset her.

 

"Angel who was on the phone?" 

 

"Lauren" She whispered.

 

"And.."

 

"I can't say, it hurts too much."  She choked out.

 

"You can't let me help you if I don't know."

 

"It, it was.... I just cant..." She started to sob uncontrollably.

 

"OK, OK. Shhhh. Tell me when you are ready."

 

"I'll never be ready."  She took a deep breath and finally lifted her head to meet Justin's confused eyes.

 

"That was my sister.  Dad...he..." She bowed her head, closed her eyes as even more tears were squeezed out and she clutched her chest.

 

Justin brushed the tears away with his thumbs, "Your Dad what?"

 

"He is in the hospital." She raised her head to look at him wide-eyed. "Why Justin?  Why does it always have to happen to the people I love the most?"

 

He gathered her into his arms and quieted her. "Shhh, Just be quiet.  You've had a really REALLY stressful day.  Let me call your sister and get details OK?" She nodded her head against his shoulder.  Justin gave her a smile and put one arm under her knees and another across her back.  He stood up and placed her on her bed.  He found her favorite quilt and pulled it over her.  Justin leaned down to kiss her forehead, and she was already asleep.

 

He slumped his shoulders and leaned his head back. He looked up towards the ceiling.

 

"God, help ME be able to help her.  She doesn't need this.  It's too much.  Please, please let everything be OK."

 

--------

Justin was pacing around the hallway, right outside her bedroom.  He had talked to her sister, Lauren, and found out that her dad was in a car wreck and what hospital he was at.  He had also found out that Meredith needed to get there, quick.  He was in very bad condition. He called the airport and got the most recent tickets to Charlotte he could find.  He was now impatiently waiting on his cell phone for JC to pick up.  Finally after about 7 rings he did.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hey Josh its Justin, I need you to do some things for me."

 

"Umm, OK. Wow, you haven't called me Josh in a while, what's wrong?

 

"Meredith's dad is in the hospital."

 

"Oh no!  What happened?"

 

"He was in a car wreck.  It's bad JC, real bad.  I need you to do me some favors if you don't mind."

 

"Sure, anything.  What do you need?"

 

"OK, can you go to my house and get me a bag worth of about 3 days of clothing.  Just throw some stuff in there.  Our flight to Charlotte is at 9:00 which gives us about 3 hours.  No more like 2 because I have to get us there and check in and everything."

 

"You are going with her?"

 

"Yeah, she needs me.  She is REALLY messed up about it."

 

"OK, sure man.  Why don't you just let me go get your stuff, I think I remember the code, yeah I do, and I'll come by there and I'll just take you guys, that way you don't have to worry about leaving your car there and what not."

 

"JC, you are so awesome"

 

"I know, I know. But I have to go if you want me to do this stuff in time."

 

"OK, thank you SO much."

 

"No problem, anything for you and g. bye."

 

Justin clicked off the phone and quietly stepped back into Meredith's room.  She was still sleeping and he wasn't going to wake her until the very last minute.  She was going to need this sleep. 

 

Justin went to Meredith's closet and pulled out a duffel bag.  He smiled when he saw which one he had pulled out.  It was a neon green one that she brought on tour.  All the guys made fun of it because it was so bright.  But whenever their luggage would be piled up or at an airport and they had to sort it and find whose was who's, hers was always the first to be found. 

 

He grabbed some tennis shoes and put them in the bag.  He quietly ran around her room stuffing the bag full of clothes she would need.  When he got to her underwear drawer he quietly laughed to himself with what was inside.  It showed Meredith's personality perfectly in there, if you believe that.  Most of the bras were plain white or flesh color.  No thongs, no lacy or see through panties.  Nothing sexy.  Just plain bikini style underwear.  Most of it was white, but there were a few print ones and one black one. 

 

-She never was one to be showy.  That's what I love about her.  She's so genuine. -

 

He got to her bathroom and dropped shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush all the necessaries in her bag.  Then he thought:

 

-I wonder if she is like me and has all this necessary stuff at home. OH well, better safe than sorry-

 

He scanned the bathroom one last time and was about to leave when he remembered.  His heart sank and he picked up the two bottles that were sitting on her sink.  He hated that she had to take this stuff.  He knew she hated it.  And he just prayed one day she could rid herself of it.

 

Justin finished packing her things and brought the bag to her front door and rested it there.  He looked at his watch and it read 6:35.  JC would be there soon and all he had to do now was wait.

 

He sat down on Meredith's tan colored couch.  He slouched down and leaned his head back on the top of the cushion behind him.  He couldn't resist.  He had to close his eyes.

 

He was tired.  He had gotten up early this morning not being able to get Meredith out of his mind.  Soon after he found himself here waking her up.  He had spent the day playing with Jon and that wore him out.  But the part that was eating at him was Meredith.  She had finally confessed her love for him.  She had finally stopped playing the games.  She had given in to him.  And he was surprised how easily. 

 

His thoughts roamed to the major make out session that happened earlier.  She had totally surprised him.  He had no idea she would let him take it that far.  He knew he would have to control himself around her.   But boy, it was going to be hard. 

 

Justin was now stretched out on the couch and in a deep sleep.  He didn't hear Meredith walk in.  He didn't feel her lay down next to him.  He didn't realize he had wrapped his arms around her.  But he DID hear the doorbell.  As soon as it rang Justin shot up and literally knocked Meredith off the couch.  She landed on the floor with a thud and he surprisingly looked down at her.  He was shocked and scared.  He knew she was emotional and didn't want to cause her any more pain.

 

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry.  Are you OK?"  He got off the couch and reached down to pick her up.

 

She giggled, "Man, Timberlake, little antsy aren't we?"

 

"Whew...I'm glad you are OK."

 

"I'm not OK.  But I'm living.  My butt is another story. I knew I should have carpeted this room. I think I'm going to buy me a rug."  She giggled and wrapped her arms around him.  Just then the doorbell rang again and a voice came from the other side.

"Justin, Mere??  It's JC!!"

 

"I guess we should let him in."  Justin quietly laughed letting go of her and walking to the door.

 

"Hey J, where are my pills?"

 

"Oh, umm, they are in that bag."

 

"OK. I think I might need some."  She sighed and opened the bag and walked to the bathroom.

 

Justin opened the door. "Hey, sorry it took so long."

 

"Oh, no prob.  Your bag is in the car.  And I gotta ask you something."

 

"What?"

 

"It's probably a stupid question but have you called Johnny, or security?"

 

"Oh, shit."

 

"You haven't have you?"

 

"Nope, forgot all about it."  He sighed and looked at his older friend. "JC if I call Johnny he is going to MAKE security come.  She doesn't need that. I mean I know she would understand.  But...she doesn't need anymore distractions.  If security goes, then she is reminded that Justin from Nsync is with her.  I want to HELP her as just Justin.  This isn't some joy ride."

 

"I know, man. Why don't you call him from the airport?  He can't do anything if you are about to take off. Meredith's dad IS Johnny's friend.  Oh my gosh, I wonder if he already knows."  JC's eyes got big as well as Justin's.  They had forgotten all about that factor.  Oddly, the phone rang seconds after JC stated this.

 

"Meredith, I'll get it."  Justin called towards her room.  He picked up the phone and gave JC a pleading look. JC gulped, loudly.

 

"Uhh, hello?  Meredith's phone."  Justin quietly stuttered

 

"Justin? Is that you?"

 

He recognized the voice and plopped down on the couch and sighed. "Uhh yeah, Hey Johnny."

 

"I just heard.  Is she OK?"

 

"She's...well, she's handling it." Justin massaged his temple with his free hand.

 

"I just talked to her sister, she said that Meredith was leaving tonight.  I was calling to make sure.  I know she has to go, she just hasn't called me yet."

 

"Umm, yeah, I've been handling all the flight stuff."  Justin looked up at JC biting his lip, knowing he was going to have to tell Johnny.

 

"Good, I'm glad she didn't have to do it herself. Well, I have to go. I might come up there early next week if I can get me a flight. Tell Meredith to give her dad a smile, that always been his favorite thing about her. And you take care of her, J.  She's like my baby sister and I'm sure you know, but her dad is probably one of the people she cares most about.  Call me when you guys get there, I need to make sure you are safe."

 

"What? You knew I was going with her?"

 

"I just figured you would.  I mean, I know you love her Justin.  And I know the type of person you are.  You care for the people you love more than anyone I've ever known."

 

"And you are OK with it, without security?"

 

"I wouldn't want security to go with something like this.  You know how to conceal yourself, and it being a later flight should make it less of a hassle."

 

"Thank you Johnny. Thank you so much."

 

"No, Justin, thank YOU.  She's going to need you these next couple of days."

 

Justin sighed a sigh of relief, "I know."

 

"Be safe, have a good flight. Bye."

 

"Bye Johnny."  Justin clicked the cordless phone off amazed and looked up at JC.

 

"Well?"  JC asked impatiently.

 

"He was fine with it.  He didn't want security either."

 

"All right Johnny" JC said putting a fist in the air.

 

"OK, I'm ready. I guess."  Meredith walked out of her room and picked up her bag by the door. She slung it over her shoulders and walked up to the two guys.

 

"So, are you taking me Justin, or what?  Why are you here anyways?" She pointed at JC.

 

"I'm taking you and Justin to the airport.  Didn't you know?"

 

"Umm, Justin?"

 

"I'm going with you."  She opened her mouth to protest but Justin placed his hand over her mouth gently.  "Before you say anything, I'm not trying to impose.  You need me Meredith.  You need someone to be there to hold your hand.  You are going to need someone who is stable.  Your mom and sister are going to be hurting too.  You'll need someone there.  I just nominated myself for the position."

 

"I love you. Now lets go!"  She marched to the door and swung it open. Justin came up and grabbed her bag from her.  She smiled at him.  They walked to JC's jeep and soon they were on their way to the airport.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant