Chapter 15

 

"I want my present!"  Justin whined.

 

"A little impatient aren't we?"  Meredith responded in a motherly tone. 

 

They both sat Indian style on the bed facing each other.  Meredith reached over the side of the bed where she had dropped her bag.  She pulled it on to the bed and placed it in her lap.  She searched through it and gasped.  She looked up at Justin wide-eyed.

 

"I forgot it."  She said stunned.

 

His shoulders slumped and his mouth opened slightly in disappointment, "You're kiddin?"

 

"YUP!"  She smiled and pulled out 2 small presents and a medium sized envelope.  She handed him one of the presents and he looked at her and smiled.  HE immediately ripped open the package.  It was a CD.

 

"OK, before you go crazy.  I know you already have every CD ever made.  But you DONT have this CD.  Believe me, I know, because I made this one myself.  It has all our songs on it.  Some of them are stupid and some have a lot of meaning.  I liked the cover.  Lance actually gave me the idea to make a CD sleeve with pictures of us. I just thought it was something you could keep with you and listen to whenever I'm not around.  I have one too.  I listened to it all this week while I was at home."  She shrugged and shyly looked down at her hands playing with a loose string on the comforter of the bed. 

 

Justin put a finger under her chin and lifted her head.  Her eyes remained turned down.

 

"I know its a little corny but-" Before she could finish Justin's pout was lightly caressing hers.  His hand came up and cupped her cheek.  When he pulled away he looked at her adoringly.

 

"It's perfect.  Hehe, JC told you I wanted this didn't he?"  He chuckled and pulled back a little further.

 

"Yeah, he told me you wished there was a CD of "our songs."  So, I made one."  She smiled at him and put the next present in his lap.  He smiled like a little kid and ripped it open as well.  He found a box and opened the end of it.  He pulled out something wrapped in bubble wrap.  Justin carefully took the bubble wrap off and before even looking at the gift started popping the wrap.

 

"You are such a 10 year old.  Look!"  She pointed at the gift.  He looked at it and immediately smiled.

 

It was a wooden frame that he knew would look great in his bedroom.  The picture was of him and Meredith snuggled up together both fast asleep.  He was on his back with one arm around her shoulders and his hand rested on her side.  She was laying on her other side with her face resting on his shoulder and her hand gently lying on his chest.  His other arm was bent and his hand covered hers on his chest.  It was probably the best picture he had ever seen.  At least to him. 

 

He began laughing and leaned over and kissed her forehead, "I think you are drooling."

 

"Probably so.  With you around it kinda just happens."  She smiled sweetly.

 

"I love this, M.  I really do.  I know exactly where I'm putting it.  Right by my bed."  He ran his fingertips across the frame and set it beside him on top of the CD.

 

"Well...."  He started, eyeing the envelope.

 

"This one?  This one I explain.  I know how you hate it when people put your birthday and Christmas presents together.  But I have to do this, because its a HUGE, GIGANTIC, 'Nothing- can-top-this' birthday present that kinda needs to already to be given for us to be ready when it actually occurs." 

 

"YEAH!"  He put his hands in the air and rooted.

 

She handed him the envelope and he opened it while she talked.  "OK, you know how you have the 2 weeks off around your birthday?"  He nodded and she continued. "Well, we are going on a trip.  Just me and you."

 

He smiled brightly and amazed, "Where?"

 

"Greece, Switzerland, Paris, Hawaii.  In that order."  She looked at him as his mouth dropped open.

 

"I know, it will be a lot of time traveling.  But we will fly to Athens and take a 3-day cruise of the Greek islands that will lead us to Venice.  But we won't be able to stay there.  Maybe have an hour to walk around but we have a train to catch to Switzerland.  What we are doing there is a big surprise.  After maybe 2 days there we go to Paris.  AKA the city of love.  After a few days in Paris we fly to Hawaii and end our vacation."

 

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?"  Justin exclaimed.

 

"Yeah.  Just you and me.  I'm trying to get it so that we don't have security. But no promises yet.  You know how people are in Europe.  But if we do it will be Lonnie.  I've already talked to him and he has agreed."

 

Justin shook his head at the plane tickets and reservations in his hands that he had removed from the envelope.  "No one has ever done anything like this for me before."  He paused still in shock and looked up at her. "Guess what?" 

 

"What?"  She asked.

 

"I love you.  I love you more than anything else.  I love you.  OH, by the way, I love you.  And one more thing, I love you."  He tackled her in a hug and pinned her on to the bed.  He immediately started kissing her lightly.

 

"Did I mention I love you?"  He asked between kisses.

 

"Yeah, several times.  And the feeling is mutual."  She kissed him back and placed her hands on his face and pulled him away.

 

"So you like you gift?"  She asked seriously.

 

He propped himself up on his elbows above her and looked down at her face.  "1st of all, having you come here for Christmas is worth about 100 Christmas presents.  The CD and picture I love.  And I'm utterly speechless about the trip.  It's going to be sooo much fun.  A little romantic raundevue with the only girl I will ever love." 

 

"Good answer."  She nodded her head.

 

"Angel..." He leaned down and nuzzled her neck like he knew she loved.

 

"Yeah..." She whispered.

 

HE brought his mouth to her ear. "You are the most amazing person I have ever met.  I never EVER want to be away from you."

 

"I love you Justin.  You know I always will."  He lifted his head to hover above hers as she finished, "I always have.  From the first day I met you and you were playing basketball.  I remember when I looked into your eyes I got lost.  I've had never felt like that before.  And every time I'm in the same room as you I get that feeling back.  It's something I'll feel until the day I die."

 

"Are you trying to out do me?"  He giggled as he rested his cheek on her chest.

 

She brought a hand up and started massaging his curls. "No, I'm just telling you how I feel."

 

"I think we might need to go downstairs.  I bet my mom thinks that I've taken advantage of you."  Justin sighed against her. 

 

"YOU HAVE!"  She exclaimed, he just laughed with her.

 

After a few minutes she sat up and he was forced to do the same.  "It's Christmas Justin.  Let's go spend it with your family."  She stood up and offered her hands.  He accepted and followed her downstairs; happy that he would be able to spend Christmas with the only person he wanted to.

--------------

 

"So I see you two are still alive."  Lynn said curiously as she watched her son and Meredith come down the steps.

 

"Yeah, we are alive."  Justin mumbled and brought Meredith close to him.  He turned to her; "You want some hot chocolate?"

 

"MMM that sounds good.  Lets go!"  Justin took her hand and led her into the kitchen.  He pulled out the instant packs of hot chocolate and started boiling water.  Meredith leaned on the counter and wrinkled her nose at him.

 

"What?" 

 

"You make it with water?"  She asked almost gagging.

 

"Yeah that's how it says to."  He said pointing to the little packages.

 

"OH my gosh.  I have to teach you a thing or two."  She walked to the fridge and pulled out whipped cream.

 

"MEREDITH!  My family is here, I don't think so."  Justin chuckled.

 

"OH my gosh.  Could you get your mind out of the gutter please?"  She pulled out the milk.

 

"You have any sprinkles or ground cinnamon?"  He walked over to a cabinet and pulled out container of cinnamon.  She smiled and took the two mugs and poured milk into them.  She then walked to the microwave and warmed up the milk for 2 minutes.  He looked at her questionably.

 

"I know what I'm doing.  You can turn off the stove now.  We won't need the water."  She smiled smugly and watched him as he grumbled and turned off the stove.  The microwave buzzer went off and she removed the two coffee mugs with steaming milk in them.  Justin appeared beside her and watched her work.  She poured the cocoa mix in both of the mugs and stirred until they were both perfectly mixed.  She grabbed the whipped cream and shook the can.  Meredith looked up at Justin and he wiggled his eyebrows.  She ignored him and topped the mugs with the whipped cream.  She then sprinkled the cinnamon on the whipped cream and picked up her mug.  She took a sip.

 

Meredith jumped up on the counter. "Mmmmm, now that's good."  She nodded to his mug. "Try it."

 

He cautiously brought the mug to his lips and took a long gulp.  He closed his eyes because the warm liquid felt so good and sweet going down his throat.  He pulled the mug away and sighed.

 

"That's awesome."  He opened his eyes and looked at her laughing face. 

 

"You have whipped cream on your nose, sweetheart."  He crossed his eyes and pushed his lips together, making a goofy face to try to see it.  He brought his hand up to wipe it away but she stopped him.

 

"I'll take care of that."  She leaned down and kissed him on the nose taking the cream with her.

 

She smiled, "All better."

 

"Nope, not quite."  He smirked and placed his mug on the counter.  He stood in front of her and parted her knees.  He stepped in between them and put both hands on the counter beside her hips. She raised an eyebrow.

 

"You have a little whipped cream on your lips."  He whispered inching towards her.

 

"No I don't."  She giggled.

 

"I know, but don't tell anyone."  He crushed his mouth to hers and she immediately sat down her mug.  She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and her legs around his waist.  He leaned in, to get as close as possible to her.

 

She was confused at the way this kiss was different from the rest.

 

Maybe it was the way he tasted like chocolate and whipped cream with a hint of cinnamon.  Maybe it was the fact that he had his hand under her sweatshirt gently running his fingers across the skin of her lower back.  Maybe it was the way his lips were consuming hers.  Maybe it was the way his tongue thrusted seductively throughout her mouth in a set rhythm.  Maybe it was the smell of his cologne that she had become addicted to.  Maybe it was the feel of his tamed, yet soft curls in-between her fingers.  Maybe it was the way he would once in a while mumble something against her mouth.  Maybe it was the holidays.  Maybe it was because she had these feelings she kept trying to push down every time she saw him.  Maybe it was the fact that her desire to make love with him was growing with every second and she was become insanely aware of it.

 

She was losing control.

 

"EWWW.  Justin let her breathe!!" John's voice echoed in the kitchen and through their brains.  Justin stopped mid kiss and slowly pulled away.  He turned to his brother and kept his eyes closed.

 

"Jon, go in the den.  We will be there in a minute. OK?"  John ran back into the den with the rest of the family.

 

Justin sighed and rested his head with his still closed eyes on her shoulder.  After a few minutes of still holding her he spoke.

 

"What did you put in that cocoa?"  He whispered then giggled.

 

She shook her head in shock and stared at the sink on the other side of the room. "Huh?"

 

"Meredith are you OK?"  He lifted his head and rested his forehead against hers.  Her eyes were glassed over and unfocused.  He looked at her and chuckled.

 

"What is it?"  He giggled.

 

"I..I..I just scared myself.  I need to be more careful when I'm with you, that's all."  She blinked a few times and smiled a forced smile at him and scooted over so she could have some room to get off the counter.  Justin quickly stepped in her way.

 

"Something's wrong."  He looked at her with concern.

 

"I'll tell you later OK?"  She kissed him quickly on the lips and jumped off the counter.  She grabbed his hand and pulled him.

 

"Come on.  Your family is waiting."  He sighed and let her drag him into the living room.  She sat down on the couch and Justin sat right beside her staring at her.  She was already in deep conversation with Lynn.  Justin was worried.  Something was bothering her. 

 

-I wonder what is wrong.  Damn, she is beautiful.  Just look at her.  I'm so in love with her. - 

 

Justin smiled to himself and leaned over and kissed her temple.  She turned and smiled at him genuinely and he immediately felt better. 

 

Justin leaned back on the couch and wrapped one arm around her shoulders.  Besides the fact that something was bothering her, he was happy.  Perfectly happy.

 

They spent the rest of the evening talking, listening to Jon tell about and play with his new presents.  Meredith gave Jon and Lynn and a few other family members gifts.  She liked her boyfriend's family.  They were actually still quite normal.  They never treated Justin like he was a superstar.  She loved them for that.  It was exactly what he needed.

 

Soon everyone was singing Christmas carols together. Meredith found out that it was a tradition in their family.  While most everyone crowded around the piano while Lynn played, Meredith sat on the couch snuggled up in Justin's arms.  The two cuddled and sang quietly to each other.  It was in deed a Merry Christmas.

 

-------------

Justin flicked on the light of his kitchen and immediately walked to the refrigerator.  Meredith sat on one of the barstools and watched him as he scanned the frige.

 

"J, I feel bad.  Don't you think you should be with your family right now?" 

 

"Actually, I bet my grandparents are asleep right now.  Mom and dad are in their own world snuggled on the couch.  Jon is in his room playing with his new toys.  So right now I would be with my brother getting tired of him and his Pokemon, or I'd be by myself.  Besides, I have to give you YOUR presents."

 

"AHHH, presents with an S. That's pural."  She smiled and slipped off the barstool and walked over to him still in front of the refrigerator.   She wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his back.

 

"What are you looking for?" 

 

"Something edible."

 

"Justin we ate like 2 hours ago.  I can't believe you are still hungry."

 

"Well, if someone would have stopped touching my knee and poking me in the side and giving me this smile that makes me melt maybe I would have stopped paying attention to her and ate a little more."  He pulled out a box that had some left over Chinese in it and a can of Pepsi.  He kicked the fridge shut and placed his food on the counter.  He pulled out a plate and dumped the food on it and placed it in the microwave to warm it.  He rolled his eyes and chuckled.

 

"Meredith.."

 

"Yeah.."  She mumbled from his back.

 

"Are you going to stay attached to me like a leech all night?"  He laughed some more when she pulled away.  He turned around and saw her hurt expression.

 

"So I'm a leech is that it?  I cling to you and suck out your life."  The microwave went off and she opened it up and plopped the plate beside him on the counter causing a little of it to spill.

 

He sighed loudly and grabbed her arm before she was able to storm off.  He bent down so he was eye level with her.  His eyes were wide and looking in hers for forgiveness.  "Angel you know that's not what I meant.  It was a little joke.  I'm sorry it hurt you.  Forgive me?" 

 

She slumped her shoulders.  "I'm so stupid.  I know that's not what you think of me, I just, I don't know.  I have a lot on my mind."

 

He picked up a fork and shoved some Chinese food in his mouth.  He swallowed it and took a long gulp of his drink.  "Does this have anything to do with the kiss this afternoon?" 

 

She was shocked.  How did he know?  "What?"

 

"Ever since then you've been kinda weird.  One minute you are distant the next you are all cuddly.  Yeah it was a really intense kiss but, it's not like we were having sex."

 

She stopped breathing and he noticed.

 

"What is it?"  He knew her.  This was weird.  They would always joke about sex but he had never seen her react like this before.

 

"Justin, while we were...I don't want you to get the wrong idea.  I know you wont, but there is always a fear in me of someone trying something on me."

 

"Like Dan."  He said softly placing the plate in the sink.

 

She nodded and repeated him in a whisper.  "Like Dan."

 

"I'm confused, please explain."  He put his large hand on the small of her back and led her into his living room.  She gently sat down on the edge of the plush white couch.  He rested on the glass coffee table directly in front of her.  He grabbed her hands and immediate started playing with them, moving his long fingers in-between hers.

 

"I keep getting these feelings Justin.  Feelings I don't need to have.  Well I guess its OK to have them but I, I kept thinking that one day I might act on them.  And if that happens I don't know if I could stand myself." She looked up at him expectantly.

 

"Keep talking. I don't have a clue what you are saying."  He lightly laughed and continued looking at her worried face.  She was avoiding his face and eyes.  She was chewing on her lip furiously and her eyebrows her merged in worry.

 

"I, well...You see, I umm...gosh.."  She took her hands from Justin and rested her elbows on her knees and ran her hands through her hair.

 

Justin placed his strong hands around her small wrist to stop her.  "Meredith, you can tell me anything.  You KNOW that.  I won't judge you or think any less of you.  Just spit it out!"  He smiled at her.

 

She looked down at carpeted floor below her feet.  She said in a very quiet weak voice, but it was audible. "Justin I keep thinking about wanting to have sex with you and it scares me. It really scares me."

 

He smiled brightly and pressed his lips together so he wouldn't burst with laughter.  She finally looked up at him and shook her head.  "This isn't funny Justin.  Its not that I think it would be bad to do it with you.  I just; I've always promised myself that I would wait.  Wait until my honeymoon.  And I keep getting these feelings like when you were kissing me today and I start thinking that I don't care anymore.  My mind and my body are telling me two completely things and my heart and soul are lost in the mix.  I know its so cliché but, Justin I need you to help me and try not to let me get carried away because, well, I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to control myself much longer."  She sighed and rested against the back of the couch and closed her eyes.

 

Justin smiled at her.  She was amazing.  He didn't know why, she just was.  He got off the coffee table and walked over to the Christmas tree in the corner of the large room.  He studied it.  It was covered in white, gold, and silver ornaments.  It matched the room nicely.  There were only 2 presents under it. All the rest had been given already. Both of them were for her.  He picked up the smallest one and laughed to himself.

 

-This is the PERFECT time to give her this one. - 

 

He turned around and noticed her still lying back on the couch but now she was staring at him. 

 

"I'm sorry Justin.  I know it sounds very trivial, but this is a big deal to me.  I know, I know. I'm just a naive little child."

 

Justin walked back over to the couch. "No, you aren't.  And it's not trivial.  It means a lot to you, so it CAN'T be trivial." He smiled and sat down beside her.  He played with the small present in his hands.  She looked at it and he noticed her looking between the present and his face.  He yawned and tossed the present at her.

 

"UH, thanks!"  She giggled.

 

"I probably shouldn't have thrown that."  He thought out loud and watched her intently as she opened the present.  It was a very small package.  After the paper was discarded she opened the white box to only find a navy velvet one placed snugly in it.  Justin watched her face as it turned from happy to straight shock.  He smiled to himself.  He knew he had gotten her the perfect gift and with her little declaration she had just made, this perfected it even more.  She nervously opened the velvet box and opened her mouth in amazement.  She placed the gift on the coffee table and just stared at it.  Her mouth began to move and Justin smiled at her even more.

 

"I, I, I cant believe.  You, you got me a promise ring."  She said not moving her eyes from the band of platinum in front of her.  It widen on the top of the ring and there was a small diamond cross implanted in it. Justin picked up the box and her eyes moved with it.  He carefully took the ring from the casing with one hand and slowly picked up her left hand with the other.

 

"Angel, this is my promise to you.  This is my promise to one day marry you.  This is my promise to stay by your side and be with you until the end of time.  It's my promise to wait for you.  It's my promise to always love you and only you."  He slid the ring until it hit where her ring finger and hand met. Her eyes were still on the ring. He pulled her hand up to his mouth and kissed the ring feathery.  Her eyes left the ring and met with his.  Two quick tears escaped her watery eyes and she smiled at the man in front of her.  The man she loved.  She took her hand from his and placed both of them on the sides of his face.  She brought herself close to him, so that she was sitting in his lap.  She looked at him with love and passion.

 

"I love you, always."  She locked her lips with his and he wrapped his arms around her.  He pulled away and rested his forehead on hers never parting from her wide-eyes. 

 

"I love you too, angel.  From this day forward." He paused and gave a goofy grin. "For better for worse, in sick-"

 

"Don't start that."  She interrupted him and giggled.  He leaned in for one more sweet kiss and lay back on the couch, bringing her with him. 

 

"I have 1 more gift for you."  She sat up.

 

"Well...."  She looked at him like a little kid. He chuckled and pointed to the tree.  He slung his arm over his eyes, a pure sign he was very tired.

 

"It's under the tree.  It's kinda heavy.  Open it over there and I'll watch your happy expression from here."

 

"You know laziness is a turn off."  She mocked the line he had given her so many times as she walked over to the tree.  She sat down on the floor and pulled the large, heavy present halfway in her lap.  She easily tore off the paper and looked down at the gift.  She smiled amazed and slowly turned her head to look over her shoulder.  Justin was lying on his stomach and had both arms his bent on the armrest.  His fingers were locked together and his chin was resting on his knuckles.  He grinned at her.

 

"I can't believe you got it for me."  She shook her head and turned back down to the gift.  She ripped off the rest of the paper and looked down at the framed photograph in front of her.

 

It was a very large picture of the North Carolinian coast.  The sun was rising over the gentle waves and had casted an eerie glow on everything.  The sky was an odd pink.  The water looked almost gray.  On the white sand were two figures, a male and female sitting in the sand with their backs to the photographer.  They were kissing each other lightly. 

 

The professional photo was called "First Kiss" and the two had seen it in a gallery in New York on the tour. Justin had to literally drag Meredith from it.  She had found out the photographer was in NC to take photos of the sunrise, something he had said was his passion.  He said the couple just happened to be there and perfected the picture.  When Justin had finally looked at the photo with Meredith, they were both thinking the same thing.  But she spoke first and said that it reminded her of their kiss on the beach.  The kiss that changed both their lives forever. 

 

"I love it Justin. I really do."  She said running her hands over the frame, trying her best not to cry again.

 

"I'm glad you like it."  He smiled at her back.  After about 5 minutes, she was still looking at the photo.

 

"Mere, will you come over here and snuggle with me.  I'm about to fall asleep and I want to in your arms.  You can look at the picture all the time, now COME HERE!"  He pointed to himself and smiled triumphantly when she placed the large picture back under the tree and walked towards him.

 

She stood above him as he turned his body on the couch.  Now he was on his back.  He simply spread his arms out and above his body.  He smiled a goofy smile which she shook her head in return and laid down in his arms.  He inhaled her scent and let out a happy sigh as he held her tightly against him.  He kissed the top of her head and mumbled.

 

"This has been the best Christmas.  Thank you for coming home."  He smiled to himself.  " You need to be home with me, alone with me.  Holding me next to the Christmas tree. Kissing under the mistle toe.."  He began singing to her but noticed her heavy breathing and content expression on her face along with her closed eyes.  He smiled and placed his head on the pillow behind him.

 

"Goodnight my angel.  I'll love you forever and ever.  Merry Christmas." He whispered and soon was in a peaceful sleep.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant