Chapter 5

 

2 weeks later…

 

Meredith had spent the last two weeks having so much fun.  The day of the "JustINmere" incident, as they called it, they all went to Meredith's house and met her parents.  And ever since that day she had become closer and closer to the guys.  She seriously considered them her brothers now.  Her and Chris always had some wild scheme up their selves.  Her and JC were always in deep conversations about insignificant things, like Star Wars.  Her and Joey always were shopping together.  Her and Lance were constantly karoking to the radio. And Her and Justin were best friends. 

 

Yes, through it all she had become so close to Justin that they were practically inseperatable.  Lots of times people hated to be in the same room as them because they had so many inside jokes that they would sometimes just go off into their own little world and leave everyone else behind.  But everyone was happy it was that way, other than the craziness that surrounded the two at the beginning of the tour. 

 

Meredith used to watch every show from the backstage and comment and make fun of the guys whenever they would come back for costume change.  But after doing that every night she had retired to just sitting in a lounge area taking messages for them on their cell phones and watching TV or movies.

 

She sat on a plush couch of *Nsync's dressing room watching a tom green episode.  Every now and then, one of the 5 phones would ring and she would pick it up and take messages.  In front of JC's phone there was one message: "Call Cindy".  Lance had a message from Leslie and Chris had a message from Danielle.  Joey had about 16 messages from randomly selected girls.  And Justin's piece of paper for messages was empty.  But just as Meredith was about to read into Justin's blank piece of paper his phone rang and a shot of jealously surged through her.

 

-OK, so all the guy's girlfriends have call them tonight.  Justin doesn't have a girlfriend, I don't think. You would know if he did. Who could be calling him? Don't be jealous.  Don't be jealous. There is no reason to be.  Even if it is a girl. -

 

"Hello, Justin's phone?"

 

"Yes, This is Mrs. Harless, his mother.  Is he on stage right now?"

 

Meredith sighed in relief. "Why hello Mrs. Harless, this is Meredith, the boy's assistant.  Yeah he is up there making the girls smile."

 

"Hello dear, and please call me Lynn.  Even though I haven't met you face to face, I feel like I've known you all your life.  Justin just wont shut up about you."

 

"Oh, really?"  Meredith was surprised.

 

"Yeah, but I cannot talk much longer.  Just tell him I called and to call me back whenever he gets a free minute."

 

"All right."

 

"Thanks, doll. Bye bye!"

 

"Bye!"

 

Meredith smiled and placed his phone down.  And wrote, "Justin your mother called" on the paper, with a smiley face.

 

-Now if that is not the cutest thing, I do not know what is. -

 

"Hey M, tha boys bout done.  Get your things and get on the bus."  Dre peeped his head in the door and told her.

 

"Be there in a flash."

 

She gathered her things, the guys cell phones and messages, and walked out of the venue onto the bus.  Security and other crewmembers bustled around.  None of them took notice of her.  She laughed.  At the beginning of the tour almost everyone would stop her and ask for a pass.  Everyone thought she was a fanatic or something.  Now, they were just numb to her presence.  It made her think about how much of a home she had here.  She would be extremely sad when it was over.

 

She climbed onto the bus, grabbed a bottle of water from the mini-fridge and threw her backpack in her bunk.  She grabbed her purse and pulled out the two familiar bottles.  Just then Justin ran onto the bus.

 

"Whew, what a show. I'm beat! Sup, M&M?"

 

"Hey J..." she said with a sigh.

 

"Oh no, what's wrong now?"

 

She looked down at the bottles and back at him.  "I'm tired of taking this stuff.  Whenever I do it reminds me that I'm not in control of my life."  She took out the pills she needed and swallowed them and followed them with water.

 

"Oh well, I guess it's just a fact of life."  She finished.

 

She walked back into the kitchenette area where Justin was gulping down his water.

 

"Thirsty are we?"  She chuckled.

 

"Uh huh.  Don't worry about the pills Meredith.  One day you won't need them anymore.  That's what you need to look at.  Just think of the day that you DONT have to take them and can be yourself.  Isn't that worth the struggle now?"

 

"I guess your right."

 

"OH honey, I'm always right." He smirked.

 

Just then Lance and JC ran unto the bus.

 

"Hey chica, what's shaking?" JC asked.

 

“Nada, mi amigo. Hola L-boogie." Meredith said

 

"Hola, Como estas?"  Lance answered

 

"Asi asi! y tu?"

 

"Muy bien, gracias."

 

"WHOA NOW, when did you 2 learn Spanish??"  JC asked amazed.

 

"Don't fret C, that's all we know. Right gringo?"  Meredith said.

 

"Right g" Lance answered

 

Joey and Chris ran on the bus.

 

"All right we all here. Lets go" Chris yelled.  The bus then skidded off taking them to their hotel.

 

"So what's on the agenda tonight?" Joey asked.

 

"Wait a moment I got messages for you guys." Meredith put in pulling out a sheet of paper.

 

Every member of Nsync stopped what they were doing and waited impatiently for her to continue.

 

"Lance, Leslie called.  JC, Cindy called.  Chris, 'D' called.  Joey; Samantha, Jennifer, Courtney, Crystal, Megan, and Susan called. And Justin...." She paused to make sure everyone was listening. "...Your mommy called."

 

All the guys giggled at Justin. "Would you look at that!  All us got our girlfriends calling us and 'ol Curly, heartthrob of NSYNC, gets only a call from his mommy.  Ahahaha" Chris teased.

 

"Hey, don't crack on him, I think its sweet."  Meredith stuck up for him.

 

"Yeah, see, girls love that sweet stuff like that, come 'ere Meredith you know you want me" With that Justin pulled her into a huge, sweaty, bear hug.

 

"Oh my gosh, get your sweaty self off of me.  I am NOT a 14-year-old hormonal freak that would kill to have your sweat on me.  I'm a 18 year old MOODY freak that will KILL you if you do that again."

 

"Sorry, geez. All I wanted was some lovin, baby."  Justin said as Meredith rolled her eyes.

 

"OK, anyways, back to the original question, what is the plan for tonight?"  Joey asked.

 

"Club anyone?"  JC mentioned.

 

"Sounds good to me."  Chris said.

 

"Me too." Justin put in.

 

"Umm, I think I am just going to call Les and go to bed." Lance said.

 

"Digital Digital Get DOOOOOOWNNNNNN" JC sang.

 

"Shut up, I'm not into all that cybersex crap like you are.  You ARE the one that wrote that song, C" Lance put in.

 

"I know!"  JC said in a sexy voice.

 

"What bout you, g?  You feel like unleashing the booty tonight?"  Justin poked at her sides and grinned.

 

"Oh my gosh.  You guys need to get over the fact and stop cracking on me because I can booty dance."  Meredith stretched her arms.

 

"WE aren't cracking.  We think its cool.  I mean, Girl, you got some moves on you!!"  Justin reassured her.

 

"Thanks, I guess.  But no, I think I'll just stay at the hotel tonight and catch up on sleep."

 

"YOU SUCK!" Joey yelled.

 

"Pansy" Chris added.

 

"Come on Mere, go wild!" JC commented.

 

Meredith waited for Justin to comment and when he didn't she looked at him.

 

"What?  You want me to say something?  Well, I am not going to.  This is your decision.  You don't have to go if you don't want to."  Justin shrugged.

 

"Thank you." Meredith said genuinely.

 

"BUT, I will miss you...and your booty."  The lip began to poke out and the eyes got droopy.

 

"Nope, it ain't gonna work Timberlake. I'm too tired for even the pout to have power.  Have fun tonight guys.  If you need me before we get to the hotel, I'll be in my bunk."

 

With that she got up and left and plopped down in her bunk.  She dreamed of Dan, and the good times she had with him when she was little.  She dreamed of the night it all had changed and then she dreamed of her being in a pitch black hole, alone.  She had fallen and someone was reaching down to her.  She reached for their hands but she couldn't get to them.  Finally they lowered and picked her up out of the darkness.  She was brought up into a room of just white.  She looked around for a way out but saw none.  A figure was coming towards her.  The one that had lifted her out of the darkness.  The closer he came the more sure she was that it was him.  Justin.  He came up to her and wrapped his arms around her and hummed to her. And she was finally, truly happy.

 

"Mere, we are here.  MAAAAARRREEEEDEETTHHH!  GET UP G!"

 

Meredith rubbed her eyes and looked out her bunk to a smiling Justin. "We're at the hotel sleepyhead."  He said.  He reached his arms out to her to help her up and she looked at him in shock.  It had been a dream, but it was all too real.  She placed her hands in his and shocks of electricity surged through her.  She climbed out of the bunk and he led her off the bus into the hotel, hand in hand.

 

-------------

2 hours later

 

Justin stood in the elevator silently as he and Mike rode up to the 6th floor.  He had been at the club for about an hour, but wasn't having that great of a time, so decided come on back to the hotel.

 

"You sure aren't saying much, J."  Mike stated.

 

"Oh, I'm just tired, I guess."  Justin responded.

 

Just then the doors to the elevator opened and Mike stepped out.  But Justin remained in the elevator.

 

"Umm, Justin, this is your floor."  Mike chuckled.

 

"Yeah, I know, but I'm going to go down to the 5th floor and see what the crew's doing."

 

"Umm, OK?  I thought you said you were tired." Mike said stepping back on the elevator before the doors shut.

 

"Well..." Justin started but was interrupted.

 

"Oh, how stupid of me.  I know what you're going to do.  Tell Meredith I said hello."

 

"How did you know she was who I was going to see?"  Justin inquired.

 

"Justin, you and her are best friends.  Who ELSE would you be going to see?"

 

"I might just need to talk to Cecil about my wardrobe or something." Justin remarked.

 

"Yeah, RIIIIIGHT."  The elevator doors opened and Mike and Justin walked into the hallway.

 

"Well, if you are just going to see Meredith I guess I can leave you for the night.  No going out by yourself buddy.  Night bro."  Mike walked to his room and went inside.

 

Justin walked over to Meredith's room, which was the very last one at the end of the hall.  He was about to knock when he noticed her door was cracked.  He could hear someone singing.  It wasn't perfect but it had a special sweetness and smoothness he cherished.  He had never heard her sing like that before.  This was her true voice.  This wasn't her normal mocking tone she would use.  This was pure. 

 

Justin pushed the door slightly and saw her.  His breath caught in his throat when he saw her appearance.  She had on no shoes or socks and comfy Abercrombie gray sweatpants hanging low on her hips with a navy stripe down the sides.  He could see the rim of her lavender underwear and could see they were form Victoria's Secret.  This just teased him more.  Her fit stomach was exposed because she had only navy blue sports bra on. Her hair was let down and was still damp from her shower.  It lightly brushed against her back when she moved. She hadn't noticed him staring at her.  She hadn't noticed him at all.  She was packing her things because they had spent about a week here and were leaving the day after tomorrow extremely early.  She was singing hymns.  It always seemed to calm her and put her at ease, no matter WHAT was happening. 

 

Justin smiled.  She was singing old Baptist hymns.  It reminded him of his childhood.  It reminded him of his life before all the craziness.  It reminded him of normality.  She had a way with him.  She could always make him forget that he was some superstar.  She kept him grounded. Whenever his ego would get too big she would call him on it and set him back into reality.  She didn't care that he was Justin Timberlake of *Nsync.  To her he was just Justin, "the dude with the fro" as she called him.  Justin laughed at himself when he thought of that.  He loved her for this.  He loved her.

 

-No, WAIT A SECOND.  I did not just think the word love did I?  I did. SHIT.  This cannot be happening.  No, no, no.  OK, OK. Calm down.  You do love her.  But just as a friend, right?  Right!  Right? -

 

The next thing he knew she was singing another hymn oblivious to him and his gawking stare.

 

Justin entered the room and began singing with her but harmonizing his voice in the process.  This startled her but she kept on singing.

 

"Meredith, why didn't you ever tell me you could sing?"

 

"Oh, I can sing.  I just figured you wouldn't be able to STAND to hear me sing." Meredith chuckled.

 

"You have a voice. A good one.  So what if you aren't Aretha Franklin?  You still have a voice.  You need to use it more often."

 

"Uh, thanks Justin.  That means a lot.  I really love to sing, but I'm kinda self conscious about it." She smiled genuinely. She looked at him fully and noticed his intense blue eyes looking all over her body.  She suddenly became aware of the fact that she had only a sports bra on and she crossed her arms over her stomach to cover herself.  But she couldn't remove her eyes from him.

 

He looked hot.  He had on dark denim jeans, with boots. He wore a tight black shirt without sleeves and had some red design on it.  She noticed it was one of JC's but she couldn't take her eyes off his arm muscles.  A red bandanna concealed his hair and a few curls escaped from the back. He stepped closer to her, unable to take his eyes off of her small body. 

 

"You shouldn't be self conscious about it." He whispered.

 

Meredith noticed his stare and it frightened her so she broke it.

 

"Wanna sing another one then.  I mean you've already heard my voice, I guess I can't hide it now."

 

He smiled brightly at her, "what do you want to sing?"

 

"Umm, lets sing one of my favorites "This is my fathers world."  You know it?"

 

"Of course I know it.  I grew up Baptist.  I know these songs, g!"

 

"Alrighty then..."

 

"This is my fathers world..." Meredith began.

 

"And to my listening ears..." Justin sang an octave lower.

 

"All nature sings and round me rings.

The music of the spheres."  They sang together.

 

Meredith closed her eyes and began to sing with all her heart.  Justin just stopped and stared adoringly at her and listened.

 

She opened her eyes when she noticed Justin not singing and she caught his stare.

 

"That was beautiful."  He stunningly whispered.

 

She barely made out, "Thanks"

 

They stared into each other's eyes not really understanding what was going on, what these feelings were that they were sharing.  They both were confused.  Meredith felt awkward under Justin's intense eyes and decided it would be best to break the spell.

 

She turned and busied herself with packing. "Aren't you supposed to be clubbing?"

 

"It was boring."  HE said as he plopped down on her bed, pick up the remote and started channel surfing.

 

"Oh, so you decide to come here and watch me pack instead?  Sometimes I wonder how that mind of yours thinks."

 

"Hehe, well, it WOULD have been fun if a particular BOOTY dancer would have come with us."

 

"OK OK, ENOUGH ABOUT THE BOOTY DANCE!!  I knew I should have NEVER done that.  I knew that once I unleashed the booty you guys would go nuts."

 

"Hehe, hey, look who it is..." Justin said pointing to the TV. Meredith turned to look and saw the guys on the 2000 MTV movie awards. 

 

"That was a really good performance."  Meredith said patting him on the back.

 

"I know, I know.  What can I say, we are gods!"  Justin smirked.

 

"Oh pulease.  I said it was a good performance.  I didn't say it was great.  I mean it was OK, for you guys.  Just look at that coat you have on.  What IS that??  And you KNOW you don't want me to start talking about the cornrows, AGIAN. I thought you were having a wanna-be Chris frenzy or something.  By the way, you NEED a haircut.  The curls are WILD!  I don't even want to think about what is growing in there.  You look like a freakin ch-ch-ch-chia pet!"

 

"I thought it was a wanna-be Thug frenzy?  And I ain't no Chia pet, squirt." 

 

"Well..you...look like...one to...me!"  Meredith said laughing hard.

 

Justin laughed at Meredith.  Her laugh could become contagious.

 

He watched her walk back and forth across the room, packing her bags and chatting about random things. Finally Justin got tired of watching her walk back and forth so he reach out his arms and grabbed her by the waist.  He sat her down in his lap and wrapped his strong, muscular arms around her.

 

"Justin, we can't get freaky now, I'm trying to pack."  Meredith giggled tried to lighten the intense mood.

 

"You were making me dizzy walking back and forth so I decided to do something about it.  Besides, I want to talk to you and I want to have your full attention."  Justin stared at her face, making a memory of every feature.

 

"What is it? It's not bad right?" Meredith asked cautiously.

 

"No, no. I just want you to know that you are my best friend." Justin started his speech and held her tighter.

 

"I mean, I spend every minute with these people around me, and I have for 5 years of my life now.  But you, you're different.  I've only known you for about 2 months.  Not even that long, and I feel like you know more about me than I know about myself.  Frankly, it scares me."

 

Justin sighed and broke his stare with her and looked down at the floor. "I've never had a girl that was my best friend.  You've shown me how great of a thing that is.  And In a few weeks this whole tour is going to be over with.  I'll be in Florida and you will go back to North Carolina.  I don't want you to forget about me cause there is no way in hell I can forget about you.  I don't want just a phone call now and then or a postcard.  I want to stay in touch with you, really.  Every chance you get I want you down in Florida with the guys and me.  OK?  I'm going to miss you too much.  You see me for me, and not for all this glitter.  You care for me for me and not because I'm famous.  That means more to me than anything, and I'm not ready to just let that go.  You are a rare thing, Meredith. And I can't let you go that easily.  I love you too much to let you go that easily."  Justin finally gazed back into her eyes that were now brimming with tears.

 

"Justin, I'll miss you too.  I don't want to go.  You guys have given me a new life here.  I life I don't deserve, but one I cherish none the less.  I was afraid you would want to just forget about me after this, but I'm glad you don't."  She laughed and looked at him.  "You are, you have become my best friend.  I never thought I could have that with someone again after things that have happened to me before.  You've taught me to trust myself with other people.  You've shown me how to love someone just because they are my friend.  I love you, Justin.  You mean so much to mean, you will never know." 

 

The tears now fell freely from her face and Justin just wiped them away for her.  He pulled her into a hug and just held her as she cried. 

 

-There is something more about her.  She's not telling me the whole story.  She will in time, though.  Lord, she is amazing.  She puts up this front of strength, humor, and fun.  But she's nothing but a lost child inside.  I'm going to be the one to find her.  I have to be the one. -

 

He pulled away from her but kept her in his arms. He titled his head and looked her straight in the eye and said, "You're amazing."

 

A tear fell from her eye and he cupped her cheek and wiped it away with his thumb. "You're an angel, Justin.  You're MY angel."  She whispered back.

 

He titled her head down with his hands and brought his lips to her forehead.  He let them linger there while he closed his eyes.  He pulled away and saw one tear slip from her wide, beautiful, chocolate eyes.  He brought his lips to her cheek and kissed the tear away.  He then rested his forehead on hers and stared straight into her crying brown eyes.  His blue ones smiled back at her. 

 

He whispered, "I'll always be your angel." He slowly closed his eyes and leaned in for a kiss, but was interrupted.

 

"HEY G!  You got that book I let you borrow?"  Lance called from behind the door about to open it.  Just before he did Meredith leaped out of Justin's lap and wiped her face clean of the tears and busied herself packing.  Justin lay back on her bed and covered his face in his hands.

 

-Man, that was intense. -  He thought to himself.

 

Just then, Lance and Chris busted through the door.

 

"Hey guys, what's going on?" Chris asked.

 

Justin spoke through his hands and it sounded more like a mumble but it was audible.  "Chris I thought you were at the club."

 

"Yeah, it got pretty boring after awhile so I just decided to come on back here.  Clubs are boring if you are committed to someone."

 

Meredith stopped and glanced at Justin.

 

-Justin had said the club was boring.  And he came back to talk to me.  He just about kissed me.  Right?  God, please help me.  I'm so confused.  He's everything to me, and more.  I can't lose him. -

 

"Lance your book is on the night stand." Meredith quietly said trying to stop her thoughts.

 

"Oh thanks" Lance grabbed the book and walked to the door.  "Gotta go, Leslie wants me to call her back in like 2 minutes. Bye."

 

"Bye Lance." Justin mumbled.

 

Chris plopped down next to the frustrated Justin and noticed the tension in the room.

 

"Uhh, what have you guys doing?" Chris asked quietly and carefully.

 

"TALKING!" Justin and Meredith both said at the same time.  They looked at each other and smiled shyly.

 

"WHOA, OK, SUUUURRRRE.  Well I guess I'll just let you two be.  Night lovebirds."  With that Chris got up and left.  He ran out the room and Meredith went to go say some smart comment to him. But just as she was at the door Justin came behind her and pushed it shut.  She turned around and looked up at his tall frame.  He looked down at her and thought for a moment. Then spoke.

 

"All the guys are going to the beach tomorrow.  It was just supposed to be a "guy thing" but I think we can manage to let you tag along.  Wanna come?"  Justin asked hopefully.

 

"Nah, if it was just supposed to be a 'guy thing' I would feel out of place." Meredith tried to walk past him but he grabbed her arm.

 

"Please, come.  For me?"  Justin asked hopefully not letting go of her arm.  He looked at her and for the first time Meredith had known him he didn't use the puppy face to get what he wanted.  Usually he would just pout and turn his eyes wide.  But this time he just smiled shyly and looked into her eyes. She couldn't resist him.

 

"What time do you want me to be ready?" She quietly said.

 

"10:30" Justin smiled pulling her close to him.

 

"I guess this is goodnight then." Meredith whispered as he lowered his head.  He closed his eyes as his face got dangerously close to hers.  He titled his head and whispered against her lips "I guess so..." He then brushed his lips against hers and pulled away.

 

He whispered, "Goodnight, Meredith." so close to her that she could feel his breath against her face.  He let go of her arms and straightened himself and went to open the door.

 

 She stood there shocked.  It had happened so fast and lasted no more than 2 seconds.  But he had managed to completely make her numb.  She couldn't move at all, afraid she would fall down. 

 

He stepped out of the door and pulled it shut but looked over his shoulder one last time at her. 

She was slowly bringing her fingers to her lips and was staring off into space, the space where he had just been. 

 

He smiled brightly and whispered, "See you at 10:30" And he closed the door.

 

The click of the door caused Meredith to jump and realize what had just happened.  She began to smile.  She tried to wipe the smile off her face.  She would clamp her mouth shut but it would just turn into a broad smile.  She turned on the TV and tried to watch a depressing news story.  But she wasn't paying attention.  Finally she turned the TV off and got into bed.  She turned out the light and closed her eyes.  Eventually she fell asleep.  But she was still smiling.

 

----------

Justin shot up straight out of bed.  His phone had woken him up.

 

"ello?"  Justin said groggily, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

 

"Wake up call, Mr. Timberlake! It's 10 be down by the van in 30 minutes.  I'm ready to go scoop out the honeys."  Joey told him.

 

"OK, I'll be there."  Justin huskily said and blindly hung up the phone. He carefully lay back down in bed.  His sheets were covered in sweat and so was he.  He threw the sheets off of him and tried to catch his breath.

 

-Man, that was one Grrrrrrreat dream. Meredith, Me, kissing, touching...whew, Man....-

 

Justin whistled softly then just laid there with a smile on his face.  He really had had an intense dream.  Too intense.  He hadn't had dreams like that in a while.  He needed a shower, even though he was going to the beach.  He needed a cold one.

 

So, he jumped in the shower and got ready for the beach.

 

--------

Outside waiting in a big white van were Mike, Dre, Lonnie, Meredith, JC, and Chris.  Mike was in the driver's seat, Meredith had called shotgun and the rest of the guys were sprawled out on each of the three rows of seats behind them. 

 

"I'm ready for the BEACH!!"  Chris yelled.

 

"Yeah you NEED some rays, boy" JC joked.

 

"Oh you don't have any room to talk Casper."  Chris responded.

 

Just then Joey, Lance, Justin, Randy, and Todd (two other security guards) opened the van door.

 

"OK, there is NO WAY we can all fit in here." Lance commented.

 

"It's because Johnny got happy with the guards and we have to bring them ALL!"  Joey said. "But we still love you guys."

 

Joey and Randy climbed into the back seat with JC.  Lance sat beside Chris and Dre in the middle.  Justin sat in-between Lonnie and Todd in the front seat.  Meredith turned around.  Sure, there were just enough seats for everyone, but between all the Nsync members, the bulky guards, and the beach supplies, Everyone was squished.  Except for her and Mike who comfortably lounged in the front seats.  Meredith laughed at everyone's uncomfortable positions.

 

"Comfy guys?"  Meredith asked trying not to laugh.

 

"YES THANK YOU!"  Chris said sarcastically.

 

"How did MEREDITH get shotgun?" Justin asked with a snobby voice.  Meredith ignored it and commented.

 

"I'm just special.  Remember J? YOU invited me, so I'm the guest!"  Meredith said turning back around and looking out the window as they passed palm trees of southern California.  "By the way, what beach are we going to?  Hopefully something nice.  I've never been to a Cally beach before.  And you guys ARE Nsync.  So you better have gotten the hook up." 

 

"Well, well, well.  Someone is a little spoiled, what do ya say fellas?"  Lonnie chided as all the guys made their own comments.  Meredith smiled evilly to herself and turned on the radio.  It was on an r&b station but she quickly changed it to NPR news.  She looked at Mike and he was laughing quietly as she pretended to enjoy the song, err, talking.  All the guys started to groan. 

 

"We are going to a private beach, M."  Mike told her.

 

"Then why all the guards? No offense." She asked.

 

"Like Joey said, Johnny got happy, whenever they are out, they need protection, especially in this area.  The beach will be marked off, but that doesn't mean someone can't sneak on.  And I'm sure each one of you will be doing your own thing."

 

"I don't need security!" Meredith said firmly.

 

"You might not be famous, but with those freaks behind us, you'll need all the security you can get!"  Mike chuckled along with Meredith.

 

A few minutes later Meredith was watching the scenery but out of the corner of her eye noticed a muscular arm and nicely shaped hand reach its way, slowly, to the radio.  Right before the hand reached the dial she grabbed it.  A tingly sensation ran up her arm to her neck, down her body all the way to her toes.  She knew who it was.

 

Still staring out the window she said, "Justin, I think you need to put your seatbelt on.  And DONT touch the radio.  You know the rules. Shotgun always controls the radio."

 

She finally turned her head and noticed Justin leaning between the driver and passenger seats.  He was staring up at her and smiling an incredibly sexy and confident smile that he knew and she knew would make her sweat.

 

"Sorry, I'll try and remember the rules next time."  He winked at her and she was still holding on to his hand. "I'm going to need that hand back sometime, Meredith." He smiled even brighter when her adoring expression turned to one of annoyment. 

 

She took his hand in hers and Slapped it with her other hand like a teacher would slap a child's with a ruler.

 

"Ouch.  What was that for?"  He asked playfully.

 

She bent down to where their faces were only inches apart and whispered, "That's for flirting with me."  With that Meredith released his hand changed the radio to back to the r&b station which caused a roar of excited cheers to break out in the van.

 

Looking out the window she said "Get back in your seat and put on your seat belt, Justin."  When he didn't move Meredith looked at him as if a mother would look at a child in trouble.  He looked up at her with his mouth open and eyes wide. 

 

"You're not my momma!"  Justin commented shocked.  Then he returned to his seat.

 

Meredith looked over at Mike who was paying attention to the road. She turned around and noticed all the guys in the back were oblivious to the little scene that had just happened.  She was glad because if anyone had noticed the flirting, both her and Justin would never live it down. 

 

But someone had noticed.

 

As Justin relaxed back into his seat Lonnie turned to him and whispered, "What was all that about?"

 

"What was what about?"

 

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about J!  The whispers, the handholding, the smiles, the long stares.  Are you and Meredith, umm, an item?"  He asked carefully.

 

"WHAT? No, no! Not at all." Justin said.  "Not yet at least..." he mumbled thinking no one would hear.

 

But Lonnie HAD heard him. 

 

He looked at Justin with wide eyes and an open mouth.  Justin just bowed his head and shook it.  He then turned his head to the side to catch a sight of Lonnie.  A smile crept up on Justin's face at the thought of him and Meredith.  Lonnie's shocked expression turned into a bright smile and he began to laugh.  Justin just sat back and crossed his arms over his chest, glancing at Meredith every now and then and grinning.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant