She turned off the engine to her truck and looked up at the place he had led her to. Surprisingly, she knew of the place. In fact she knew the place very well. She came here almost every week to get herself her beloved Cafe Latte. Yet she had never been there at night.

It was an out of the way Coffee House on one of the not so popular streets in Orlando. But it wasn't the bad part of town. Just not much was going on. So business was never high. Yet tonight there seemed to be more people than usual. But she had never been there at night.

She was surprised Justin would want to come to a place where he could possibly be recognized.

But then again, a coffee house usually didn't house many 13-year-old hormone enthralled fans.

She stepped out of her truck and slammed the door shut. She looked over a Justin's covered convertible that was parked a few spaces down from her. He opened his car door and his long frame stood up out of the car.

He looked over at her. His eyes cutting through the cool air like a bullet to her icy eyes. "You ever been here before?" He simply asked.

She gulped and took a step away from her truck, towards the sidewalk. "Uhh, yeah. But never at night."

Justin nodded and walked up to the door and opened it for her. A bell jingled, but it couldn't be heard over the noise of the strong jazz music coming from the building. She walked over to the awaiting doors and managed a small smile and walked into the cafe. She looked around like it was her first time there. It had such a different atmosphere.

She looked around until she felt two hands on her shoulders.

She jumped.

"Relax Lexia. Let me take your coat, for you." She chuckled at her shakiness. She didn't know why she was acting this way. Yet, she did. Justin.

She unbuttoned her coat and shrugged the gray knee length coat off her shoulders and handed it to him. He didn't take it.

"Justin, you said you wanted to take my jacket. Did you change your mind?" She looked up at him and saw that his eyes were traveling along the length of her slender body.

It made her excited and nervous at the same time.

His eyes flew back to her own for a mere second and she could have sworn she saw his face turn red as he grabbed her jacket and hung it up, turning away from her. He got his own leather jacket off and hung it up on the same post as hers since there were none left.

Justin walked in front of her, as to not have to watch her walk. It was hard enough having to look at her eyes. But to see her slim body in the fitting, calf-length, black dress, was too much. It hugged her curves and was sleeveless to show off her long, delicate arms. The neck had two pieces of fabric that tied at the bottom of the column of her neck and hung down over the low-cut neckline of her dress.

He was thankful for those pieces of fabric. He wouldn't be able to control himself if they weren't there to cover her.

He led her to a table in the corner of the room. Sofas and chairs were filled with people and couples and there was a stage with a small band playing jazz music.

She sat down in her chair and looked towards the stage when a young black woman took the microphone.

"We all know this is open mic night, so I'm going to start by singing one of my favorites. This is Georgia On My Mind."

The woman began singing and her voice was that like Billie Holiday. Smooth and soft and beautiful.

Alex sighed and watched as the girl worked her way across the stage, singing and moving with passion and wisdom.

Justin noticed the intent look on her face and grinned. "Martie's good, isn't she?"

Alex forced her gaze away and looked at him. "Martie?"

He nodded to the stage. "Yeah, she's here everytime I come on open mic and she always blows me away."

Alex thought for a moment. "I'm guessing you come here often then."

"Yeah, everytime I'm home. I like coming on Saturday nights. Usually by myself. I love coming here and getting my regular cup of coffee and listening to people sing. Not professionals, but regular ol' people. Some are forced or betted up there. Others, like Martie, don't have to be asked twice."

"Do you ever get up there and sing?"

"Oh hell no. I don't want to sing more than I have to." He looked at her in the eyes and shook his head. "I didn't mean it that way. I love my job. But, I don't want to get tired of it, ya know? I don't- I don't know what I'm trying to say."

"It's OK, I'm a little confused. But it's OK. It kinda surprises me that you would want to come somewhere and hear unprofessional voices."

"Well, it's refreshing. And some of the voices are awesome."

"Just an' ol' sweet song, keeps Georgia on my mind!" Martie sang out perfectly and finished with a slight bow.

Alex and Justin both clapped. A few whistles were given, Justin included.

A waitress soon came up to their table. "Heya Justin, how's life treatin ya?"

"Fine, Liz. You?"

"I'm dandy. I'm guessing you want your normal." He nodded and she turned to Alex. "Well, well, well. Mr. Timberlake decided to bring some company with him. You must be a special one, he ALWAYS comes alone."

"Were just friends." Alex said shyly.

"Yeah, sure, honey. What will it be?"

"Cafe Latte, with a shot of Vanilla favoring."

"Alrighty, that will be right out kids." Liz turned to go put their order in, but Justin called to her.

"Hey, Liz. We are just friends, OK? I mean I have a girlfriend and she's my brother's baby-sitter, and I don't have to explain anything. Why am I defending myself?"

Liz shook her head and smiled. She leaned in and whispered. "Think about that question you just asked, Justin."

She smiled and turned on her heel and walked away.

Justin gulped and looked back at Alexandria. "Sorry about that."

She looked down at the floor. "It's OK."

"Yeah, well. So, umm, what are you doing over the holidays?"

"I'm going to visit my family in Alaska. I'm staying there until January 3rd probably."

"Wow, that's quite a ways. I hope Jon will be able to handle himself with you gone."

"I think he will manage." She giggled.

Liz came over and set their drinks down. "There you are."

"That was quick." Justin said.

"It doesn't take much to make coffee, kid." She spoke and left.

Alex took a sip of her drink and groaned. "Mmm, that's great."

"Hey, I uhh, well, umm, this is my first time doing this." A nervous guy with glasses said into the microphone as he sat on the stool.

"Take to the highway, wont you lend me your name
Your way and my way seem to be one in the same..."

"Oh, I love James Taylor." Alex cooed as the man nervously sang the words to the song "Country Road."

"Lexia, I'm sorry about the other day. I really am." Justin said out of no where.

She was a little startled and smiled. "It's OK. I just don't like it when people put me in my place. I'm not use to people calling out my feelings like that."

"So, it's true then?"

"What?"

"That you are lonely. Don't lie to me."

She took a long gulp of her drink and sighed. "What's wrong with that? Lots of people are."

"Yeah, but it's like you choose to be. You don't have to be that way you know? Everytime I see you and talk with you I feel like I can be myself. And that's VERY rare for me. If you can do that with me, I don't know why you don't have any friends. But you CHOOSE not to have any, don't you?"

"So what if I do?" She was starting to get offended.

"Listen, I don't mean to upset you. But that's not healthy Lexia. I worry about you."

"Why Justin? Why? You've known me for a matter of maybe a week and here you are-"

"Stop. I'm sorry I said anything." Justin sighed and turned towards the stage again.

Alex sighed loudly. "I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm just under a lot of stress right now with everything going on."

He turned back to her. "Why don't you share it with me?"

"Well, when I was at school a few days ago doing finals my professor told me that I got offered a internship at the NSSL here in Orlando."

"What's that?" Justin asked taking a sip of his coffee.

"The National Severe Storm Lab. I know you think I'm a complete dork. But this is what I've DREAMED about, and here it is right at my hands. And I don't know if I can take it."

"Why not? It's your dream."

"Well, this internship doesn't pay money. Unless I officially get a job there, which probably won't happen any time soon. And I NEED money, Justin. I'd have to quit one of my jobs to keep up with my apartment and college. The job at Tidal Wave gives me a LOT of my income and not baby-sitting your brother is NOT an option. I'm not quitting that. But, I don't know if that will be enough for me. And I'm not the type of person to ask my parents for money."

"Why not?"

"They have enough troubles as it is, and I don't want to be another burden."

"Is that why you moved as far away as possible from them?" Justin cringed. "I'm sorry. Forget I said that."

Alex looked at him for a moment shocked. She couldn't believe he had just said that. "I can't believe you."

"I'm so sorry Lexia."

"No, don't be. I've never thought of that. But you're right. You are absolutely right. After my brother died, I always felt I was a burden to my parents. I don't know why. I just did. And that's why I came to UCF. They don't even have any majors that I'm that interested in. I just wanted to be as far away as possible. I can't believe you were able to see that. Wow." She stated astonished.

Justin licked his lips and looked at her wide, shocked eyes, that were scanning the table. "How did your brother die?"

She met his gaze. "Cancer."

"I'm sorry."

"It's all right."

Justin tilted his head and looked at her for a long moment. "You know what you need?"

"What?"

"A release. Why don't you go up there and sing something? Trust me, it's a release from everything."

"No! I hate attention and having people stare at me." She shook her head, laughing.

"Please. You're voice is fine and just close your eyes. It's not a big deal. There's like 20 people here. I do it in front of thousands each night."

"Yeah, but you don't have an attention phobia."

"Come on." He smiled a half smile at her, encouraging her to go up there. She groaned and stood up.

-I can't believe I'm doing this. -

Justin smiled brightly as she walked nervously up to the stage and spoke to the band before sitting down on the stool and fiddling with the mic, so it would be positioned at her mouth.

"I'm a little nervous, so just, bare with me. Uhh, this is one of my all time favorite songs. It's by Sheryl Crow and umm, well this not that jazzy, but, anyways here it is." Alex cleared her throat and waited for the guitar to come through.

"God, I feel like hell tonight
Tears of rage I cannot fight
I'd be the last to help you understand
Are you strong enough to be my man?

Nothing's true and nothing's right
So let me be alone tonight
Cause you can't change the way I am
Are you strong enough to be my man?

Lie to me
I promise I'll believe
Lie to me
But please don't leave

I have a face I cannot show
I make the rules up as I go
It's try and love me if you can
Are you strong enough to be my man?

When I've shown you that I just don't care
When I'm throwing punches in the air
When I'm broken down and I can't stand
Will you be strong enough to be my man?

Lie to me
I promise I'll believe
Lie to me
But please don't leave"

Alex took a deep breath and opened her eyes. Surprisingly people were clapping and cheering. She smiled and managed a "thank you" before hurrying off the stage back to her seat.

She plopped down and drowned the rest of her coffee.

"Well?" Justin asked.

She looked at him. "That's got to be the worst and best moment of my life." They both laughed.

He looked at her, no, stared was more like it. For as long as he could. Finally he looked down at the table and back at her.

"This place is getting boring. Nothing can top that last performance." She blushed and he smiled. "Let's get out of here."

She looked up at him; he had already stood up and was pushing in his chair.

-What is he suggesting? - She thought with wide eyes.

But she couldn't stop herself from pushing her chair back and sliding out to a standing position. Justin laid a few bills on the table and she opened her purse to get her money.

"No, it's on me."

"But that would make this a date." She smiled curiously.

"Maybe, but we know better than that." He smiled and put his hand on her back to lead her to the door. She couldn't believe this. He was acting like...like...

...like they were together.

He handed her jacket and she put it on. She was able to smell his cologne on her jacket that had seeped through from where his jacket had been placed over hers.

"Ready?" He asked, opening the door.

She stuttered and tried not to look at him. "Uhh, yeah."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story