"I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is?"

Alex tried her best to remain her composure. Though she always seemed to be a pretty strong individual, movies could get to her like nothing else. It was the music and the words and the actions and the settings, all pulled together. She couldn't help it. She let it go. Justin watched Lexia out of the corner of his eye as the romantic scene in Forrest Gump reeled on. He could have sworn he saw a tear flow down her cheek.

She was relaxed into the small loveseat they were sitting on. He didn't intentionally sit there, but it was the only places they had to sit. And he didn't mind sitting by her, closely. In fact, he enjoyed it.

Her hands clutched onto the pillow that was lying upright against her stomach and she brought her chin down to rest on the top of it. Her knees were somehow intricately bent underneath her. Justin really couldn't figure out how she was able to sit like that for two and half hours, but figured she must have been comfortable.

Justin turned his attention from Alexandria to the rest of the dark room only lit by the blue hue of the TV. A few people had become uninterested in the movie and went outside. Others were asleep on the floor of the living room. A few couples were cuddled up in chairs and couches intently watching the movie. His eyes scanned over to the couch where Scott and Jen were sitting.

Justin's smile brightened when he saw Jen tiredly resting her head on Scott's shoulder. His arm was protectively wrapped around her shoulders as they silently watched Forrest Gump.

A yawn overcame him and he raised his arms over his head, slightly arching his back and then snapping back into a slouched position. He felt tired and worn out. He giggled before tipping over on to Alex as a joke. His head hit her shoulder, as he leaned on her, waiting for her to push him away.

But she didn't.

She brought her arm around his shoulders, running her hand up and down his arm as he rest there. She tilted her own head to rest on his as the end of the movie came.

The warmth of her body was a like a blanket, and her hand gently running across his upper arm lulled him to dreams. That jasmine scent she always carried with her slowed his breathing.

In seconds, he was fast asleep.

----

When the lights were flicked back on, groans and stretches could be heard and seen around the room. She immediately spotted her brother, giggling to Jen about something.

-God, he is such a player. - Alex giggled to her self.

People had already started to leave as soon as the movie was over with. She glanced at a grandfather clock that was situated in the corner by the front door. It read 11:40. She figured since everyone else was leaving, and because her brother had a plane to catch the next day that it would probably be best if they left now.

But she was way too comfortable.

Like everyone else, an urge to stretch her cramped muscles came upon her. Her legs stretched out in front of her, wiggling her feet in circles. Her arms attempted to rise above her head, but only one arm was successful.

She looked down to see what was pinning it down and only saw short brown curls sticking up in every direction. She jerked her arm away that was around him and pushed herself away for him in the small space she had. He groaned and slowly opened his eyes, slouching on the edge of the couch, sitting upright. He rubbed his eyes much like a child and turned his head to see Lexia staring at him almost like he could hurt her. He smiled and looked up as a figure came in front of them. Scott stood there with Jen.

"Enjoy the movie?" Justin smirked.

"About as much as you two did." Scott said smugly.

Alex ignored the comment and pushed herself off the couch to stand up. "Well, you got an early flight tomorrow, so we need to go."

"All right, lets go." Scott said reluctantly and turning to Jen. They looked at each other for a while before they hugged tightly.

Alex looked over at Justin as he looked over at her. They gave each other a knowing look.

Jen hugged Justin with a bright smile. "Thanks for being so understanding."

"NO problem. Maybe me, you and Lexia can all go out to eat for lunch sometime." As he spoke this, Jen's eyes lit up and she nodded her head.

"Hey girl, thanks. I had a great time tonight." Meredith said embracing the shorter girl.

"No problem, hey umm..." Jen whispered into her ear. "..Are you and Justin..."

Alex pulled away and desperately spoke. "NO!"

"Ok, just wondering." Jen smiled. From the actions she had seen that night, she figured Alex would be a little sensitive about the subject.

Jen waved goodbye and walked off somewhere else in the house. The three left walked to the front door, thanking Margaret for her hospitality and letting them join in on their fun.

Alex spotted Kenny before she left and gave him a big hug. "I'll see you this Sunday right?" He asked.

"Probably." She said thinking about her schedule.

Kenny shook Scott hand. "It was a pleasure meeting you Scott, please why don't you do us a favor and just take Lex back with ya." Alex elbowed Kenny in the stomach and he rubbed it, painfully exaggerating.

"And it's great to finally meet Lynn's popstar of a son." Kenny chuckled as he shook Justin's hand.

By now, they were out of the door and walking down the brick walkway to where Alex's Jeep was parked.

Once they got to her car, Justin went towards the backseat. "That's ok, Justin. You can sit up front."

"You sure?" Justin asked, wondering if Scott had some ulterior motive for being nice to him.

Scott yawned, nodding, and opening up the backdoor. Justin shrugged and climbed in beside Alex.

After a few minutes of silence beside the sounds of the road, motor and radio. Justin turned around and giggled at the sight. "You're brother is fast asleep."

"Man, he won't be able to sleep on the plane tomorrow. He can only sleep on planes if he is dead tired." She looked in her rear-view mirror at her brother, slumped against the window.

"What a dork." She mumbled.

"You and your brother are really close aren't you?" Justin asked looking at her as she drove down the road.

She put on a distant smile and shrugged, changing her hands on the wheel. "I guess. I sometimes consider him my best friend. After Andrew passed away we kinda had to cling to each other. Scott doesn't really remember much about him expect when he had cancer because he was so young."

"What type of cancer did he have?"

"It started out, and the doctors just thought he had asthma, but then they found out he had lung cancer. So when they went in to operate and remove the tumor, they found out how bad it was. It was spreading so fast they couldn't do anything about it. They gave him about 6 months."

"God, I cant imagine what that was like." Justin whispered, genuinely feeling so sorry for her.

"Yeah, but he fought it for two and half years. He was so strong during it all. But it was really hard on me, ya know? He was like my hero. Nothing could touch him. And I remember telling mom the day before he died, that he was superman and that he would live forever because nothing could kill him. And when I woke up the next morning..."

Alex shook her head sighing and trying to stop the wetness from dripping from her eyelids. "..he was gone, wasn't he?" Justin asked quietly.

Alexandria nodded and reached her hand down to the volume dial, so she could turn up the radio and end the conversation.

As soon as her fingers touched the dial, a hand grabbed hers. It was like an electric shock. Tingles ran from her fingers up her arm and into her body. Her hand was pulled away from the dial and long, slender, well sculpted fingers locked in-between hers as a thumb gently ran across the back of her hand.

She glanced down at their intertwined fingers resting on the console in-between them. A slight smile came to her face as the warmth from his hand radiated into her and made her happy among her depressing memory.

That had never happened. No one had ever been able to make her completely change her attitude when talking about her brother.

No one, but Justin.

A loud sigh was heard form the passenger side as she pulled into his gated driveway. "I'm really sorry about your brother Lexia. I really am. But if his death has helped create who you are today, then it wasn't all a tragedy."

As she put the car in park she thought about what he had just said. If she was in the mood she could have completely gone off on him because of that statement. But now, all she could do was stare at their intertwined fingers and grin.

It was like their hands were made for each other. It was like someone had taken one fist and pulled it apart and put one part on Alexandria's body and the other on Justin's.

"That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my brother's death." She said, still staring at their hands.

Justin took his other hand and timidly lifted her chin, to make her look at him. "It's only the truth Lexia, you are an amazing person."

This day was just getting better and better for Alex.

"You're not so bad yourself, Timberlake." She smirked and sighed when he opened his door and pulled his hand away. He stepped out of her car and looked back at her, winking as he shut the door.

Alex watched him, not wanting to let him go. She wanted to stay right there and just hold his hand for forever. And just as she thought he was going to turn and walk up the path of bricks to his front door, he turned the other way, and walked in front of her car, his hands in his pockets and his head downward. He came to her door and opened it.

He reached over her and unbuckled her seat belt, causing her eyes to widen at his actions. "What are you doing!?!" She said loudly. She glanced in her rear-view mirror to see Scott still drooling, peacefully on her window.

Justin didn't say anything as he pulled her body so that she was sitting sideways in the seat, facing outside. Justin looked down at her with no expression on his face what so ever. Alex looked up at him, pressing her lips into one, as she tried to contain her laughter at his actions.

With one swift move, he had reached down to her and embraced her in a tight hug. Her lips were forced apart and a sigh escaped as she wrapped her own, slender arms around his bent back.

"Jon told me a few weeks ago that I looked down. He said that a very smart lady told him that when someone looked down that all you needed to do was hug them and that could make their day a little brighter. Well, you looked down Lexia, so I took my brother's advice." He whispered into her black hair, kissing it with his soft lips as he talked.

He breathed in her jasmine scent as she giggled, happily. "He was right. And so was I, because I was the 'smart lady' that gave him that advice."

Justin pulled away completely and, propped an arm up on the top of her door so he leaned against it. "I know." HE smiled a toothy grin that was sure to melt the hearts of teens everywhere.

Well, it worked with Alexandria.

"I better go and let you two get back. Tell your brother that I had a really great time meeting him, and tell him that he scares me, seriously." His eyes widened to exaggerate his statement.

They both laughed and Justin stepped back from her car, still chuckling. "See ya later, Lexia."

"Bye, Justin." She giggled as he slammed her door shut and jogged to his front door, fiddling with his keys in the process.

Alex put her hand on the passenger side seat and turned her head around to back out of his driveway. She was met with a perfect, white, evil smile.

Scott kept his eyes close he began the melody to "Let's get it on"

"I've been really tr-trying baby..." He sang loud and clear.

Seconds later, he was met with a powerful punch in his stomach and a mumbled, embarrassed. "Shut up."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story