January 24th

Alex waited impatiently in the chair by the huge glass window. She bit her fingernails and chewed on her lip as she watched the big 747 plane roll up to the gate.

Her parents were coming to visit her, and that plane in front of her carried them. She was excited and nervous at the same time. They wouldn't be staying with her, but still they were in the city, and it wasn't like she could just do whatever she wanted. She was going to show them the city and the places she worked. The Harlesses had invited them over for dinner. And Alex was quite nervous about that, because, Justin was going to be there. And her mom knew about Justin.

Alexandria and her mom were very close, the best of friends. They told each other everything. And she had been calling her mom keeping her up to date with the little saga they had going on. She just hoped her mom wouldn't embarrass her.

"Flight 412 from Dallas, Texas is now deboarding. I repeat Flight 412 from Dallas, Texas is now deboarding." The speaker announced.

Alex took in a deep breath and stood up, looking towards the doors. At first a few businessmen hurried out of the plane, totebags rolling speedily behind them. She looked down at the ground and waited for the people to come off the plane. Some were businessmen; others were family's, some looked plain lost. But one person caught her attention.

It was a young girl, around her age with long brown hair; she was short and looked almost scared as her wide eyes scanned the crowd. Alex watched in awe as the girl gasped and ran a short distance to a tall sandy blonde guy. They were in an embrace so tight, she couldn't see that they were two separate people. He set the girl on the ground and brought her face to his with his hands and kissed her sweetly before pulling away. Alexandria sighed when she watched his mouth move and she made out the words. "I've missed you more than anything. I love you."

Alex turned her attention away from the couple and let out a breath from her mouth, making her lips vibrate and make a noise much a horse. "Is that my alleycat?" She heard and immediately began to smile as she recognized her father's voice.

She turned her attention to the tall man with a head of thick brown hair walking swiftly towards her and wrapped him in a warm hug. "Hey Daddy. How was the flight?" She pulled away and he shrugged nonchalantly.

"Girl, you BEST give me a hug too." She heard and rolled her eyes at her dad, as she left his grasp for her mothers.

"Hey, Mom. Mmmm, I'm glad you are here." She sighed, squeezing her mom, who could be her twin plus about 25 years, a little tighter.

"Me too sweetie, I cant wait to meet the hip-thrustin baby you got a thing for." Alex's mouth dropped and she began to turn red. "MOM!"

"Why are you blushing? You never blush!" Her father quipped up.

"I'm not, let's GO!" She exaggerated and stomped off away from the gate with her parents chuckling and following her.

----------

"Now, DO NOT embarrass me! PLEASE!" Alex said to her parents as she parked her car in the Harless's driveway.

"Lexus you don't get embarrassed, at least I thought. I thought you didn't blush either, but now I don't know...." Her father trailed off.

"Just keep in mind that I work for these people and they mean a lot to me and I don't think they need to know all the stupid things I did when I was a kid."

"You still are a kid." Her father said getting out of the passenger side of the Jeep.

She sighed and pulled her keys from the ignition. Her mom opened her door for her and whispered. "You just don't want to get embarrassed in front of Mr. Popstar."

"UGH. Mom he is probably not even here. His car isn't. So...BEHAVE MOM!" She said, giggling as she got out of the car and linked arms with her mother to walk to the door.

She walked to the front door, which was a like a first for her. She hadn't gone to their front door in about 6 months. Her dad stood beside her and her mom on her other side and she brought her hand up to ring the door bell.

Before her hand even touched the button, the door swung open and she was greeted by a happy, smiling, Jonathan Harless.

"Hello Lexy and Lexy's parents. Welcome to our home." He said in the best grown up voice possible.

"Well look at you, Jon boy all nice and dressed up." Alex said amused. He was dressed in khakis and a button down light blue shirt, but he had no shoes on and his barefeet stuck out under his pants leg.

"Mom made me." He groaned. "Come on in." He said, pushing the door back and allowing them to enter.

"Mom, dad, this is Jon. Which you have probably figured that out by now." Her mom knelt down to Jon's level and stuck her hand out for the small boy to take.

"Its nice meeting you Jonathan. You can call me Sandy if you want to. Alex sure does talk about you a lot." Jon returned her handshake and giggled shyly.

"And I'm Ally's dad. You can call my Charlie." Alex's father didn't bend down but he offered his hand. Alexandria smiled at the sight of Jon staring at her dad, and his tiny hand in her father's very large one.

"Alex dear?" She heard someone call and she turned around to look past the living room and to the kitchen where Lynn was standing.

"Hey, Lynn!!" Alex said walking over and giving the woman a hug. "Come meet my parents. This is Sandra and Charles, my mom and dad." She said in a goofy voice, with her arm around Lynn's shoulders, and Lynn's arm around her back.

"It's so good to meet you two! We are happy to have yall eat with us." Lynn spoke, her southern hospitality seeping through with her voice and smile.

"Well, its so good to meet you too Lynn. It seems like you guys have sorta adopted Alex and we are grateful for that, since we are so far away." Sandra said smiling at her daughter and winking.

"Oh no problem. Guess what?" She said turning her attention to Alex. "What?" Alex asked with a grin.

"Paul's in there cooking, go surprise him." She whispered.

"Paul's COOKING? Oh my gosh, this is a monumentous occasion. I'll be right back." Alex said and turned to walk in the kitchen.

"WAIT FOR ME!" Jon spoke for the first time in minutes. Alex waited for him and picked him up and threw him over her shoulder, with him giggling all the way to the kitchen.

"Paul HARLESS!! YOU are cooking?" Alex said, flipping Jon off her shoulder, to sit on the counter.

The man jumped slightly and turned, apron around his front and hand to his heart. "Gosh, Alex. I'm not ready for a heartattack. Give me a few years. And YES I am cooking."

Alex giggled and made a funny face a Jon. "Well, I'm not ready to die of food poisoning. Give ME a few years."

"Hey, now. Watch it. I'm not THAT bad." He said, turning back around and stirring whatever it was he was cooking.

"Daddy can I go upstairs and show Lexy the new puter game you got me." Jon asked, jumping off the counter.

"Sure, but dinner will be ready in a little bit."

"Ok, come on Lexy." He tugged on her hand, and before she was able to speak to Paul again, she was being dragged through the living room. She gave a small wave to her parents who were sitting down talking to Lynn about who knows what.

Alex followed Jon down the hallway, past Justin's old room to Jon's room. It was plastered with pokemon posters and one Nsync Poster. Alex rolled her eyes and sat down on the bed in front of the small desk that contained Jon's Laptop. Alexandria thought it was crazy for a 7-year-old to have a computer, but Justin had bought it for him, and all he did was play games on it. And most of the games were intellectual games. And he didn't have the Internet. So she didn't feel to skeptical about it. But she still thought it was crazy.

"I got this game. It's so neat." He spoke, swinging his legs wildly below the chair. He waited to the computer to boot up and when it did he double clicked on an icon and waited a few moments for the game to load.

"Jon, where's Justin?" Alex finally asked the question that had been on her mind since she had entered the house.

"Ohh, he went to the store to get some Snapple."

Alex giggled and looked at him unbelievingly. "Is that it?"

"Yeah." He shrugged. "Mom said that we were all out and hated it because you loved the stuff and he said he would go get you some."

Her mind went blank for a few moments. She would have been happy with water or tea or anything. And yet, he had done this; for her. It was almost too good to be true. "Are you joking?"

"No." He turned in his computer chair and looked at her confused.

"Oh, ok." She spoke shortly and softly.

"Anyways, there are all these levels and characters. It's SOO cool. You'll have to play it with me after dinner..." Jon kept rambling on and on about the game, showing her the levels and how to play the game.

She randomly spoke an 'uh huh', 'cool', and 'ohh' as she stared at his nightstand. There were 3 pictures on the nightstand. One was Lynn and Paul. Another was of her and Jon. And then the biggest one was of Justin and Jon, both in their pajamas asleep on the couch, with Justin's arm casually draped over Jon. It was the cutest thing she had ever seen. They both had on pajama pants and button down pj tops. She couldn't see what was on the pjs. But the picture was adorable, and she had to fight the urge to reach out and touch the frame.

"..And you can even go up to the level of kingship."

"Ohh, cool." Alex spoke, staring at the picture.

"But, its hard because..." He suddenly stopped and got very quiet for a moment. Alex's attention was forced off the picture and she looked at Jon who was sitting in his chair, looking off to the side.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

He looked at her and grinned evilly before jumping out of his chair and running out of his room screaming. "JUSTIN'S HOME!"

Alexandria's eyes widened and she stared at the door Jon had just ran out of. She slowly stood up and could hear laughter coming from the downstairs. She stopped at the top of the steps so that she could hear but not see the living room.

Alex heard Justin's smooth voice, softly speak. "Well it's a pleasure to finally meet you Mrs. Smith, Mr. Smith."

"Ohh call me Sandy. Gosh you are just so cute. Alex told me you were cute but she didn't tell me you were, well, hmmmm." Alex hit her head back against the wall at the words her mother had just spoke. She knew that her mom would kill her for this. It was so like her. But she had to smile when Justin's nervous laughter filled her ears.

"LEXY!! WHERE ARE YOU?" She heard Jon yell.

She pushed herself away from the wall and walked to the steps and slowly walked down them, concentrating on her tennis shoes, and not dare looking up.

She reached the bottom step and took a deep breath before setting her gaze upwards. Lynn and her dad were talking, she guessed Paul was still in the kitchen, Jon was tugging on Justin's khaki pants leg, and her mom was saying something that made Justin smile and blush.

Justin looked down at his brother, and put a hand on his head, to calm him and let him know that he was not being ignored. Justin's redden cheeks slowly faded and he looked up to the steps, where Alex was watching him.

His smile softened and she returned it. "Hey." She whispered him only seeing her mouth move and not hearing a thing.

"I, uhh, got you some, Snapple. You like the Orangeade kind right?" He asked, scratching the back of his head and looking at her with a child-like expression.

She nodded. "Yes. Thanks. You didn't have to do that." She stayed by the railing on the bottom step, keeping her eyes on him and only him. Nothing else seemed to exist anyway.

"Well, I wanted to." The side of his mouth twitched upward in a quick half-grin before his torturous tongue came out to moisten his dry lips.

Alex's mouth quivered at the motion, until she felt a soft hand on her shoulder. "Honey, there's a 7 year old in the room. Don't molest the nice gentleman right now. Maybe later."

Her eyes widen and she looked at her mom who was trying to hold in a giggle. She looked at her mom shyly and sighed, rolling her eyes. "I'm kidding. By the way. Good choice. And I mean GOOOOD choice. Be glad I'm not your age. Honey, that boy is fine. Umh, you see how them khakis look on him, wow. And that dark green shirt. Dang, Lex. You better go for it, or I'm going to have to shoot you." Her mom whispered all this in her ear and then turned back around and walked over to Lynn immediately being wrapped up in the conversation.

A few minutes later, Alex was still by the steps. Justin was playing with his brother and her parents and Lynn were conversing up a storm. She knew they would get along.

"All right, its ready." Paul spoke, balling up his apron in his hands. "I think."

"Ohh, gosh. I should have cooked." Justin exaggerated, walking over toward the kitchen.

"Watch it boy. I know your mother." Paul kidded and patted Justin shoulder as he passed with Jon, sitting on his hip.

"Justin, you cook?" Sandra asked nonchalantly following him into the kitchen.

Justin sat Jon down on the floor and smiled at Alex's mom. "Yes ma'am. I cook quite a bit. I'm the breakfast king."

"Well isn't that great." She said, looking at Alexandria with an enthusiastic face. Alexandria rolled her eyes and pushed past her parents into the kitchen. "Where's my Snapple. I need a drink."

Justin looked at Alexandria surprised. "They are in the fridge Lexia."

"Lexia. That's a new one." Her dad said. "Alleycat, have you ever counted all your nicknames?"

"No, dad. I haven't." She spoke, taking a bottle from the fridge, opening it and chugging it back, as she walked into the dinning room where Paul had set up their meal.

"Gosh, she treats those Snapples like they are alcohol." Charles chuckled, shaking his head and striding into the dining room.

By now, everyone had found a seat at the dinning room table. Paul and Charles were at the heads of the table. On either side of Paul were Lynn and Jon. Beside Jon was Justin and beside Justin was Alex's mom. Alex sat beside Lynn across from Justin. They had said a quick blessing and immediately began to eat. Though they had picked on Paul for cooking, the meal was quite good. Conversation had been light and happy, and so far it had been a good evening.

"So, Lexia, how's the internship coming?" Justin asked before stuffing a piece of bread in his mouth.

Alex set down her fork and looked up at him. "Very well. They set me up in the hurricane and oceanography section, which is really cool, because you know how much I love the beach."

"Oh believe me, I know." He said in a seductive tone. Alex's light blue eyes widened and she stared at Justin and kicked him under the table. He cringed silently.

"Are you liking it Alex?" Lynn asked sweetly.

"Oh yes ma'am it's great."

"Well, how are classes going this semester Allycat?" Her dad asked. She turned her head and looked at her father.

"They are fine, dad. This philosophy in science class is kinda hard."

"Sounds like a blast..." Justin mumbled sarcastically, getting a stern look from Lynn and a kick from Alex.

Justin contorted his face to look like he was in excruciating pain and finally sobered up enough and smiled an evil smile at Alex. She began to feel a socked foot against her calf, and soon it was at her knee, then pressed against her thigh. As soon as it touched her thigh, she grabbed it and dug her nails into the material of the sock, hoping to cause some pain.

Justin began to thrash his foot to get it free, but she wouldn't let go. "You ok, babe?" Lynn asked, noticing the way her son was biting his lip and slouched in his chair. Alex let go of his foot and he straightened up. "Fine, mom." He forced a smile and glared at Alexandria, who smiled triumphantly.

"Justin, Alexandria said you play a little bit of ball." Her dad cleared his throat and said.

"Oh yes sir. I love b-ball."

"Yeah, she told me she beat you."

Alex almost choked on her Snapple and looked between her father and Justin's accusatory gaze.

"Is that sooo." He drug out.

"Yeah, but don't feel bad, she beats everyone."

"She still needs to work on her form." Justin smiled brightly, licking his lips and crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back in his chair.

"OWW!! Alexandria!!" Her mother said, bending down to rub her leg.

"Ohh, mom. I am sooo sorry." Alex couldn't help it and laughed. She just busted out laughing. In an attempt to kick Justin, again, she had kicked her mother. She couldn't help but laugh.

"What was that for?" Her mom said, smiling, but evidently hurt.

"I , uhh, was trying to-" She couldn't finish she was laughing so hard.

"She was playing footsies with me." Justin said as if he was admitting to a crime.

"EWWW!" Jon said, still picking at his barely eaten food. He must have not liked Paul's gourmet cooking.

Her mom's pained expression softened to a bright smile. "Ohh really?" She pointed to Justin and spoke loudly. "I WAS NOT! I was trying to give him the idea to keep his mouth shut."

"By kicking me?" He said innocently. Alex just narrowed her eyes.

"Hey Justin, why don't you show Charles your car." Sandra spoke to her husband. "You are going to die."

Justin stood up and stared straight at Alex's pouty face. "I'd be glad to. Shall we?" He asked turning to Mr. Smith and motioning towards the kitchen.

"I'm with ya." Paul spoke. The three got up and left the room chuckling about the incident that had happened earlier.

Alex sat there for a few moments as everyone else talked. Jon had asked to be excused and ran off. Finally Alexandria turned to Lynn, when the room was quiet. "You're son is so annoying."

"Which one?" Lynn giggled.

"Who do you think. I'm going to go bother the non-annoying one." Alex said standing up. "Thanks Lynn, it was..." She fought to find a word. "...Interesting."

When Alex had stormed out of the door. The two left at the table turned to each other and at the same time giggled. "I just love your daughter." Lynn giggled.

Sandra took in a deep breath to calm herself and looked sincerely at Lynn. "And I just love your son."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story