Wednesday, July 11th 2001...about 1 in the afternoon.

After a morning of summer school classes Alex was burnt out. She had rarely gotten sleep the night before because, you know who called right at 12:00am to wish her a happy birthday. They ended up talking for 2 hours and Alex had to be up at 7 to be at an 8 am class.

It was her 20th birthday and the rest of the evening was planned with Jon, well baby-sitting him that was. Claudia from NSSL, her boss (she was now Claudia's assistant in the cloud department. She got paid, she was no longer an intern) had let her have the evening off since it was her birthday.

But Alex had no one to share it with. Well, she did, but the person she wanted to share it with, Justin, was off in Colorado or...somewhere...

She just wanted to sleep. But she wouldn't get the chance.

She parked her car in the Harless' driveway and leaned her head on the steering wheel. Maybe she would just take a short little one-minute nap.

She heard the muffled cry of Jon. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEXY!!!"

Maybe she would take a 5 second nap instead.

She opened her eyes and took her head off the wheel and looked at the boy, dressed with a flimsy birthday hat and a big present in his hand. Jen was behind him smiling.

Alex got out of the car, languidly, before being clobbered in a hug and her ears pelted with the sound of the song "happy birthday"

Jen just giggled. "Hey girl, how was class this morning?"

"Uh.." Alex grunted.

"That interesting huh?" Jen giggled. "Well, I guess that's it for me. You two have fun. And Alex, we ARE going out tomorrow night."

"Ok, ok. Just don't call me tonight. I wanna sleep." She moaned, being dragged towards the house by Jon.

"Ok. Later girl, Happy Birthday."

"Thanks. And thanks for watching Jon for me."

"Sure, anytime. Later guys." Jen waved and walked to her car that was parked on the curb of the road.

"Bye...Come on LEXY!! You gotta open my present!" Jon pulled her through the front door and finally dropped her hand.

"All right, all right." Alex sat down with a sigh.

"What's wrong? It's your birthday Lexy!! BE HAPPY!" Jon exclaimed with a bright smile, pulling the annoying hat from his head and letting it drop to the floor.

"I know I know. But I stayed up talking to your brother WAY too late last night."

"Oh..well...open it!" Jon pushed the big box in her lap and stood in front of Alex that was sitting on the couch, shifting his weight, impatiently wanting her to open it.

Alex ripped open the package and lifted the top of the white box. She smiled at what was inside. There was a frame picture that was drawn by Jon.

"Awwww, Jon it's so good. You are getting really good at drawing!!"

"Yeah, that's me you and Justin on the beach." Jon pointed to the three people drawing in a childlike manner on the off white paper.

"What are me and Justin doing?" Alex smiled at the picture of them holding hands.

"You guys are walking and I'm catching a seagull, hehe." Jon giggled. "So you like it?"

"Oh, yeah. I love it, thanks Jonboy." Alex leaned forward and pulled him into a tight hug.

"Sure. Mom told me I had to give you something else too.... Come on." Jon pulled on her hand once more. Alex was thankful for her gift, but she was tired of being drug around. She just wanted to be still...for like 7 hours.

But she sucked up her laziness and followed the small bubbling boy into the kitchen. He handed her two cards.

She looked over the envelopes and smiled at her name on one "To Alex." She looked at the other and shot Jon a look. That one, in the dark red envelope that just one simple word on it. "Lexia."

"Open em!" Jon bit his lip.

Alex opted for the "Lexia" one first. She ran her finger along the slit and pulled out the red construction paper from inside. It was folded down the middle and the front had another piece of pink construction paper in the shape of a heart on it with the words "happy birthday" written in black ink on them. She opened the card and read over the words.

"Lexia...

Well you are no longer a teenager. You are a full grown adult woman. Well, I could have told ya that a while ago. I hope you like this card. I made it myself. Aren't I creative? Anyway, I know you are down because I'm not there to celebrate your birthday with you. I know this, because I'm rather down about the matter myself. But, sometimes, there's nothing you can do.

But what if there is something we can do....

In about, I don't know, maybe 1 minute Jennifer Noles, I think you know her, is going to knock on the door and tell you that she is now baby-sitting Jon for the afternoon. You need to get your bootilicious self home. Why you ask? Well, you need your rest before this weekend when you come and see me. Because baby, we aren't going to stop celebrating at all. Party central 24/7. Get ready girl.

I know you. And I know a million questions and thoughts are running through your mind right now. Well stop worrying. I know what I'm doing. Trust me, just a little bit.

And while you're at it, have a VERY happy birthday.

I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. Did I tell you I love you?

-Justin"

"What did it say?" Jon asked when she closed the card with a smile.

"Oh..well..." She was interrupted by the doorbell. Alex walked over to the garage door and opened it.

Jen stared at Alex with a bored look on her face. "I will get paid for this. Justin said you are supposed to go home."

"I know, wait...huh?"

"I just talked to him on the phone. I would ask how he got my cell number but I don't really care right now. He said "tell her to go home, now." Whatever that means." Jen pushed past a slightly stunned Alex and walked on in the house. "Jon, sorry bud, you are stuck with me all day."

"Oh..." He sighed a bit disappointed. But then he smiled. "...HEY CAN WE WATCH the video making thing for Dirty Dirty Dirty POP again?"

Jen groaned. "AGIAN? We watched it this morning!"

"So?"

Alex just grinned. Jen was spending more and more time with Jon. She was feeling the effects. "Don't you just love Nsync now Jen?"

"I always did like backstreet better." Jen mumbled and walked further into the house.

Alex grabbed her cards and walked into the den to get her present from Jon. "So, I guess I'm going home, for some reason."

"Go on. I'd hate for you do have to stay and watch Chris run over some dudes foot for the millionth time. I swear we shouldn't have ever taught this kid to operate a VCR." Jen shook her head as Jon pushed in a tape in the VCR and began dancing around the living room.

"Hey, even I don't get tired of seeing Chris do that! Have fun guys. Bye bye."

"Bye Lexy."

"Help me." Jen muttered.

Alex walked down the front steps of the Harless house and towards her car. She had no idea why she was going home. Well Justin told her to rest, but she had a feeling there was a lot more going on that just "resting." And even though she was tired, she couldn't wait to see what was going on there.

Just as long as it wasn't a surprise party. She wasn't in the surprise party mood....not right now at least...well she never had a surprise party..so...maybe it wouldn't be TOO bad.

--------

Well nothing looked different outside their house. No extra cars. No banners or anything. Nothing that wasn't there when she left that morning. She parked her car in the garage and got out and to the door. She unlocked it and peeked inside, half waiting for someone to pop out and say "surprise."

But nobody did. She walked on in the house, not getting any weird vibes or anything. Maybe he just wanted her to rest. Have the day for herself. He knew that she would enjoy that. Maybe that's all there was. IT was a nice gesture for her birthday.

She walked to the kitchen, pulled a Snapple from the fridge and popped it open, gulping down half of it before walking into the foyer to go change into her pjs. Hey, if she was going to be resting might as well get comfy.

But as soon as she got in the foyer her feet stopped and her eyes stared at was on the floor right in front of the steps. There was 4 long stemmed roses put together on the floor to make an arrow that pointed to the steps.

A smile twitched in the corner of her mouth.

She sat her Snapple down on one of the steps before making her way up them. She walked pretty slowly, even though she was anxious to see where she was being led. At the top of the stairwell there were four more roses directing her to the left, towards their bedroom. She still technically had her bedroom, all her clothes and stuff were down there, but she never slept there.

She got to the door of Justin's bedroom, it was shut completely and there was a note and a rose taped to the door. She pulled the rose and note off and smelled the delicate flower as she read the note.

All it said was. "Your birthday present is on the bed."

She held the rose and note in one hand and used her other to turn the doorknob and open the door.

It had been 22 days since she had last seen Justin. 3 weeks, 1 day. Their phone bills were terribly expensive, but it still didn't make up for not physically being with that person. She was supposed to go visit him in California this weekend but obviously he couldn't wait that long to celebrate her turning 20.

Because there he was lying on their bed. A smile played on Alex's lips as she looked directly at him, not paying attention to the few items on the nightstand and the candles surrounding the room. It was Justin who had her attention.

He had on pitch black dress pants...and that was it. No shoes or socks, just a bit of the pants legs covered the bottom part of his ankle. His chest was bare, and she had to think, he was a lot darker than last time she saw him. Last time she had seen him he was...well WHITE. And now he had a sexy golden tan.

And besides the fact that he was sleeping, the most intriguing thing about the whole scene was that around Justin's neck was a bow. Not a bowtie, a big red bow, loosely hanging around his neck and resting on his shoulder.

Alex licked her lips and stepped further into the room whispering, "Happy Birthday indeed."

She tried not to giggle, but in that moment her tired body was rejuvenated, she was giddy and couldn't wait to wake him up. She walked over to the bed and finally took her eyes off the sleeping Justin to set her note and rose on the table beside the bed.

She stopped and cocked an eyebrow.

-Someone's getting kinky. -

She eyed the silver bowl of Strawberries and another matching smaller one beside it with Chocolate sauce in it. She couldn't help it anymore, she laughed.

She covered her mouth with her hand; she didn't want to wake him just yet. After a moment she contained herself and lightly sat down on the bed, making sure not to wake him. She carefully dipped a strawberry in the chocolate before turned back to Justin.

Crawling a bit over the bed and raised on of her legs to the other side of him, and straddled him, careful not to sit on him just yet. She bit her tongue and tried not to giggle as she gently rubbed the chocolate on to his parted lips. She contemplated putting the chocolate all over him, on his cheeks and nose and chest, but she didn't want him to get TOO messy.

She brought the berry to her own mouth and bit down on it, staring at him. In that moment she let her weight gently ease onto his stomach, sitting on him. He stirred and she giggled at his chocolate covered lips. On instinct he licked them. She knew him too well. His eyes slowly opened as his tongue swiped across his lips again.

She smiled at him when their eyes locked on to each other.

"Hey..."

She didn't say anything at all. She bent her body and kissed him fully on the mouth, taking away all of the chocolate she had put there. His hand lifted from the bed and held on to her head as she nibbled on his lips with her own. Finally she sat back up straight.

"Hi." She whispered.

"Happy Birthday, Lexia."

"Yup, VERY happy." She giggled as his hands held on to her bare thighs, moving up to where her torn jean shorts covered her waist and gripped her hips. He picked her up slightly and forced her to lie down beside of him.

"Do you like your present?" He grinned, biting his lip and staring in her eyes.

"Hmmm, what present? You said it was on the bed, but I don't see a box." She chuckled at his annoyed expression.

"I'm your present, baby. And I have an idea."

"Let's hear it." She smiled, scooting closer.

He let his hand play upon her cheek and jaw and neck and shoulder that was covered by a thick tank strap, watching his fingers everywhere they moved. "Well, I didn't have time to get you a cake so I figure why don't we make one ourselves."

"Oh really?"

He nodded. "Yup, that's what the things on the nightstand are for. We can make one out of me or one out of you. Which would you rather have?"

"Hmmm, both. Let's make two birthday cakes. I AM 20 years old now. I think I deserve two."

"That's a perfect idea." He smiled and dipped his head to kiss her full lips. He pushed her a little so that she landed on her back and he was slightly hovering over her. His kissed her and kissed her and kissed her, and wouldn't stop. He let his tongue curl around hers as her hands held on to his shoulders and the back of his head.

Finally he slowly pulled away, raining her lips with pecks, before moving up slightly and kissing her nose. "I missed you." He whispered.

"I missed you too." She held onto his back, not letting him go from their embrace.

After laying there for a minute or two not saying anything, Justin rolled away from her and off the bed. "Stay right there." He winked and headed to the stereo.

He fumbled with a CD as she picked another strawberry from the bowl, and sat up against the headboard. She took this grand opportunity to kick off her flipflops, before he came back.

He looked over his shoulder and smiled at her. She smiled back popping another Strawberry in her mouth. He took his time, staring at her and walking over to her, obviously not in any rush. He carried the remote for the stereo in one hand and extended the other to her.

She accepted his hand and let him pull her off the bed. He held one of her hands in his and held it to his chest. His other arm wrapped around her back and held her tightly against his body, before pressing the play button and tossing on the floor.

Alex cocked her head to the side as music filled her ears. She had never heard this song before and when a harmonica came through, she looked at Justin with a thoughtful expression.

"It's from the new album. The one I did with Stevie Wonder. One of the ones I wrote."

She nodded with a smile as he began to sway with her and she stared at him as he began singing along with himself quietly.

"So many times I thought I had it in my hands
But just like grains of sand love slipped through my fingers
So many nights I asked the Lord above
Please make me lucky enough
To find a love that lingers"

Alex was in shock. She just stared at him, trying not to cry. He had sung just 5 lines and she was ready to cry at this sincerity of his voice.

"Something keeps telling me that you could be my answered prayer
You must be heaven sent
I swear "

He grinned and kissed her forehead as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Cause
Something happens when you look at me I forget to speak
Something happens when you kiss my mouth
My knees get so weak
Could it be true that this is what God has meant for me?
Cause baby I can't believe
That something like you could happen to me"

Her hands played with the now annoying red ribbon around his neck, she managed to tear it and toss it on the floor, before lightly letting her lips press into his neck as he sway her body in time with his.

"Yeah, yeah
Something like you"

Justin's arms encircled her and made sure she wasn't moving anywhere but with him. He continued singing the words to her, letting his breath tickle across her ear and hair.

"Girl in your eyes I feel your fire burn
Your secrets I will learn
Even if it takes forever
With you by my side
I can do anything
can do anything
I don't care what tomorrow brings
As long as we're together
My heart is telling me that you could be my meant to be
I know it more each time we touch"

This was getting too much. Had he written this for her? He wrote it. Who else would it be for? But this was...too much. Well, almost...

"Cause
Something happens when you look at me I forget to speak
Something happens when you kiss my mouth
My knees get so weak
Could it be true that this is what God has meant for me?
Cause baby I can't believe
That something like you could happen to me "

Justin pulled her head away from his shoulder and smiled at her, pressing his forehead against hers and staring deep into her eyes as he sang.

"Something magical
Something spiritual
Something strong within the two of us alone, yeah "

He grinded himself into her at the next line and giggled as she blushed.

"Something physical
Something undeniable
Nothing like anything that I've ever known

Unexpectedly he bent down a bit and picked her up, wrapping her legs around his waist and holding on to her, looking up at her a bit and singing.

"Something happens when you look at me I forget to speak
Something happens when you kiss my mouth
My knees get so weak
Could it be true that this is what God has meant for me?
Cause baby I can't believe
That something like you could happen to me

She let her lips touch the top of his head before moving down to his forehead, feeling his breath on her neck as he sang.

"That something like you could happen to me
Something happens when you look at me
Can't believe that you happened to me"

The song ended and neither of them moved. Finally Alex wrapped her arms around his shoulder and hugged him tightly, tightening her legs around his waist as well. She sniffed.

Justin closed his eyes and rested his temple on her shoulder, talking into her neck. "I wanted you to hear that first from me before Jon plays it out and makes you hate it. I'd don't think I could stand it if you hated the song that I wrote for you."

"You wrote that for me?" She pulled her head away looked at him, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

He chuckled lightly. "Yeah, who else?"

A tear slipped from her eye and he tilted his chin and took it away with his lips.

"Thank you." She whispered, smiling.

"For what? The party hasn't even started yet." He grinned.

"There's a party?" Her eyes widened with excitement at the thought of a big party just for herself.

He nodded and leaned into her, holding her tighter to him so she wouldn't fall, and letting his lips gently touch hers before whispering against them. "Yeah, it's going to be a great party. Just you..." He kissed her mouth passionately, and he felt like his knees were going to buckle beneath him. He teeth broke through his lips and he stared into her sky blue eyes that were so close to him. He watched as the darkened to an aqua color. "...Just you and me, Lexia."

She giggled a little and smiled down at him. "Whats the fun in that?"

The seriousness of his gaze turned into a playfull desire. He quickly walked back towards their bed, unable to wipe the smile off his face. "I'll show ya the fun..."


Completed
Mere is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 15 members. Members who liked More Than This also liked 216 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story