Her light blue eyes scanned the papers once more. She sighed and realized she couldn't change or do anything more to it. She picked up her keys and they jingled. The girl beside her gave her a stern look and she mouthed, "Sorry." She picked up her wallet and glass bottle of Snapple orangeade and slid out the desk. She slipped her pencil in her pocket and picked up the papers.

She moved down the stairs of the auditorium to the bottom and handed her papers to the man sitting there. He looked up and smiled at her. "Miss Smith, would you mind staying after and talking with me about a few things? If you have somewhere else to be I can talk to you anther time." He said in a hushed tone not to disturb the other students.

"No, its fine. I'm going by the library to drop off some books. When do you want me to be there."

"How about in an hour. Everyone SHOULD be done by then."

"All right, see ya in an hour."

"OK, bye bye." The man readjusted his glasses and started grading some other papers he was looking at while the class took their final exam.

She walked out the door of the huge auditorium class. She wondered why her professor, Mr. Melton had asked her to come see him. She didn't even know he knew her name. College Physics was one of those huge classes with about 100 people in it.

Oh well.

She walked down the long hallway and to the doors that led outside. Her now empty bottle was thrown in the trash as she trotted across the courtyard to the University library.

She walked in and was surprised when not many people were in there. Usually the place was a buzz of activity.

She did her normal routine: Turned in books, checked out new ones, got a cup of Cafe Latte from the small over-priced Starbucks inside the building. She always got her drink for free because the guy behind the counter had a crush on her. She felt bad, but it WAS a free cup of coffee. She then went and sat her usual couch and began reading one of the books she picked out. They were all usually on the same subject. Weather.

She looked at the clock hanging on the wall and saw she had about 35 minutes until she needed to head on back to see Mr. Melton. She took a sip of her Cafe Latte and opened the first book. She began to read.

-The weather may be humankind's most widely...-

"Alex, right?" A voice startled her.

She looked up and saw an extremely petite girl with long dirty blonde hair and bangs. Her face had a broad smile on it and her brown eyes twinkled.

"Uhh, yeah." She had seen this girl...somewhere.

The short girl balanced her books and papers under one arm and forcefully jerked out her right one. Alex sighed and put her book face down, marking her page on the space beside her. She put her hand in the girls outstretched one.

"I'm Jennifer Noles, I'm in your Earth Science class."

Alex brought her hand back and looked at the girl and finally recognized her. "Oh, yeah. You are the one that sits right in front of Mr. Wilson."

"Yeah." After a few moments of awkward silence, Alexandria scooted over and motioned for her to sit down.

"Do you want to sit down?"

The girl nodded frantically and sighed into the seat. "Thanks."

"What year are you?"

"Freshman."

"Oh, do you like it here?"

"Oh I love it. Central Florida has a great Human relations department. I hope to get into child services, what's your major?"

Alexandria took a big gulp of her drink. "Uhh, I haven't declared one yet."

"You haven't? Aren't you supposed to have declared one if you are a sophomore."

Alex shrugged. "I guess. I just haven't decided what I want to do with my life yet."

"Oh, that's cool. You know they say the most interesting people when they get older still don't know what they want to do with their lives."

"I've heard that too." Jennifer smiled at her.

"So, are you ready for the exam tomorrow?"

"Oh, yeah. I've been ready." Alex stated with confidence.

"Not me. I KNOW I'm going to fail."

"Don't say that."

"Well its true. I don't understand all that weather and volcano and rock crap. Who cares anyway about that type of stuff? I mean, all I need to know is if it's hot, cold, sunny, or rainy so I'll know what to wear."

"Well, I personally, love that class. It's my favorite."

Jennifer cringed. "Oh, sorry."

"It's cool. I mean, every has to like and dislike different stuff or life would be boring."

"Yeah, I was wondering. Are you taking the astrology class next semester because Tom told me you were."

"Tom? Ohh that guy I have Earth Science lab with. Yeah, I am. Are you?"

"Yeah, do you think maybe you would help me out in there. Tom said you were really smart in all that type of stuff. And I know that I'm NOT."

"Yeah, sure. Here, let me give you my number." Alex took out a piece of paper and pen and jotted down her number on a piece of paper. "Now I'm not there usually between 3 and 9 on weekdays but after 9 I'm home. And on weekends you can get me anytime during the day Saturday or Sunday afternoons but I work Friday and Saturday nights."

"Oh, really, where?" She said with total curiosity.

"You know that club off Highway 34, Tidal Wave?"

Jennifer's eyes got huge. "OH MY GOSH! You work there? That is like THE club. We go there all the time. What do you do? DJ?"

"Uhh, actually I bartend."

"Oh cool." The girl was a little shyer now than normal.

"Yeah, oh crap. I gotta go. I have to go meet with my professor in 5 minutes. It was good talking to ya Jennifer. Give me a call whenever." Alex stood up and tossed her Styrofoam cup in the trash.

"Sure. And you can call me Jen."

Alex waved and smiled. "Alrighty. Bye Jen."

She walked out of the library with a smile on her face. -Wow, what a sweet girl. OH my gosh. Did I just make a friend? Today is a good day. Go Lexia, Go Lexia! - She giggled then stopped suddenly.

Lexia.

That's was Justin had called her. She had never called herself that and no one else ever had either. Why did she call herself that NOW?

---------

Alexandria yawned as she waited for Mr. Melton outside his office on a bench in the hallway. He finally showed up.

"Sorry. Some people took a little longer to finish the exam than expected."

"It's fine." He unlocked his door and Alex stood up and followed him in. He motioned for her to sit and she did. He set down his briefcase and books and coffee mug and plopped down in the worn leather chair behind the desk.

"I bet you are wondering what you are doing here." He laced his fingers and leaned over the desk.

"Uhh, kinda." She said nervously.

"Well, I just wanted to congratulate you. You have the highest average in my class. And infact I graded your exam while I waited for the rest of the class to finish and you only missed one."

"Was it the one on friction with a pulley, I never quite grasped that one."

The older man smiled. "Yes, it was that one. But anyway, that's amazing that you are THAT good in a college level physics class. I talked to Mr. Wilson and he said you are excelling in the Earth Science class as well. And your Chemistry professor says you are doing great also. I'm guessing you are a science lover then."

"Kinda. Well, yeah." She giggled slightly.

"Why are you here then?"

"Huh?" That was a weird question.

"This isn't a science school, like Florida State University. Why are you here at UCF?"

"I don't know really. I just applied, got accepted. It was the farthest thing away from where I use to live and I liked the campus and I like Orlando."

"OK. I was just wondering. I looked up your records and also saw you haven't declared a major yet."

"Well, I don't really know what I want to do."

"I can tell you love science and I've heard you take a liking with weather."

"Oh my gosh. Yes. I love it. It's so just, amazing and enthralling. People, I KNOW think I am a dork because of it, but I just cant get over it. It's such a wonderful thing to study and learn about."

The man smiled knowingly. "I see. Well, I don't know what you do in your spare time, but I was wondering if you would want to maybe get an internship at the NSSL here in Orlando. Since we don't have that great of an atmospheric science department here at UCF, I thought maybe they would give you some more direction. You can see if that's what you really like."

Alex could barely breathe. "Oh my gosh..."

"I talked to them about your situation and they think that you would be a perfect new and fresh mind to bring to their lab."

"The National Severe Storm Lab? The one here in Orlando? Wants me?"

"Yeah."

"Oh my. I don't know. I mean, I have 2 other jobs, that are very demanding and..."

"It can be used as hours credit." Mr. Melton interrupted her.

"Are you SERIOUS?" This was BIG news. She would get college credit for this? WOW.

"Sure am. Think about it over the holidays and get back to me, all right?"

"Sure Mr. Melton. Thank you. THANK YOU!"

"You're welcome."

Alex shook the man's hand and left the office. She skipped gaily through the hallway and walked with a smile on her face all the way to her truck. She pumped her best of John Mellencamp CD all the way back to her apartment. She kept "Jack and Diane" on repeat.

She hopped out of the truck still singing the song very loudly and got to her door. She walked in, set her stuff down and squealed.

She plopped back on her couch. "OH MY GOSH! My dreams are coming true. NSSL wants ME for an internship. What a day!" She sighed and smiled wistfully then squealed again. "AND I ONLY MISSED ONE QUESITON ON MY PHSYIC'S EXAM!! I NEED TO CALL DADDY!!!!"

She walked over to her phone in the kitchenette and picked it up. But she saw the number 1 on her answering machine. It surprised her. She never had messages. She pressed play.

"Hey, Lexy. It's Jon. Umm, I want to know how your test went today. We had a math test yesterday. It was hard. There was even subtraction on it. I don't think I did good. But, I wanted to call...what?...oh, Me AND Justin wanted to call and see if you wanted to go to the beach tomorrow. I want to go cloud watching!! And Justin does too. Do you have any more tests because mommy said you might have a lot? But call us back. Oh...WHAT?...NO!...Justin says hi.....I think he has a crush on you...." In the background there was a scream, "JON!!!" "...hehe, Justin's mad that I told you his secret. Justin likes Lexy. Justin and Lexy sittin in a tree...K I S S....." Justin's voice came over the line. "Lexia? Yeah, Jon has to go. Bye." And then the message was over.

-He said it again, Lexia. And Jon was beginning an annoying little brother but still. Justin has Britney. Why would Jon think he had a crush on me? -

She smiled and then it turned into a frown. She couldn't internship at NSSL and baby-sit Jon. But...this was her dream. But...Jon was her heart.

Decisions. Decisions.

She hated them. Always got in the way of things.

She picked up the phone and dialed a number, a familiar number.

"Hello?" A kind female voice asked.

Alex smiled. "Hey, Lynn. How are you?"

"Oh great dear. How are the exams?"

"Oh, pretty well. I did very good on the one I did today."

"That's great."

"Umm, I know Jon isn't there, but is Justin by any chance?"

"No, he is at his house. He is picking Jon up from school then coming here. I hope he doesn't get mobbed by 7 year olds."

The mental picture of Justin Timberlake being chased by 100 7 year olds made her giggle. "That wouldn't be good. Well, when they get back will you tell them to give me a call?"

"Sure thing sweetie."

"Thanks Lynn, bye bye."

"Bye Alex."

Alex hung up and sighed. She went over to her stereo and flipped on the radio. She sat on the couch and massaged her temples.

She would call her parents, later. Right now she needed to think about what she was going to do with this internship and her jobs. She needed money but WANTED this experience. It was her goal. She had never gone after her goals before. She didn't know if they were worth going after.

She wondered if there was anyone she could talk to about this. She thought and thought about who would know what its like to try your hardest to reach your goals.

And she was given a sign.

The DJ on the radio spoke. "Don't forget tonight we will be out at the Christmas Fair in Park Oaks taking your request. The Jamaican cruise is still up for grabs and ANYONE is a potential winner. Come by our booth and visit us tonight only at the Christmas Fair. Now here is Nsync's latest song, "This I promise you."

If ANYONE knew what it was like to go after your goals it would be him.

Justin.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story