Author's Chapter Notes:
If there's anything that you want
If there's anything I can do
Just call on me and I'll send it along
With love from me to you

I've got everything that you want
Like a heart that's oh so true
Just call on me and I'll send it along
With love from me to you
        -"From Me to You" - The Beatles

“You fucker,” the grin on Trace’s face is enough to let me know that he’s about to make a dirty comment, most likely about my sex life.  “I can’t believe you and our little Abra Kadabra shacked up.  This is monumental.”

 

“Uhm…thanks, I think.”  This is the part that I’m not looking forward to.  I’ve already had it out with Rachel about everything, and then there was the meeting with my Mom that still makes Abbey blush.  I just wish people would leave us alone.

 

“So, how was it?”  He’s got a glint in his eye, and normally I would have a similar sparkle and I’d be eager to spill details about the sex, but this time it’s different.  This time it’s Abbey.  I don’t think she would appreciate Trace knowing intimate details about her, and I’m not sure I want him to know, either.

 

“A gentleman never tells.”  I’m trying to be coy.

 

The snort he lets out tells me it’s not working.  “Right, since when have to been too shy to tell me your dirty secrets?  Dude, I know about almost every sexual encounter you’ve had.”

 

“But those girls weren’t Abbey.”  It’s a good reason, he just doesn’t seem to be buying it.

 

“Whatever.  I don’t see how this could be any different, but if you want to act all high and mighty about this one and not tell me, that’s your bag.  I just thought you knew by now that I’m not stupid enough to ever repeat what you tell me.”

 

He’s upset and he does have a good point, but I really can’t see Abbey being very happy with me if she ever does find out that I spilled our bedroom secrets to Trace.  Plus, I’m not quite sure how serious or permanent things are between us right now and I don’t want to do something that could potentially fuck it up.

 

“Sorry, dude.”  I hope he’ll get over it quickly. I really don’t want to hear him bitching about all of this anymore.

 

I know that ‘it’s about time,’ and I know that I should’ve said something to her a while ago.  I’ve heard it all, believe me.  Even my own mother said something about me taking so long with this one.  I’ve heard it all and I don’t really want to hear it again.  I don’t understand what the big deal is, or why people have to give me so much shit about it all, anyway.

 

“You can at least tell me how it happened, then.”  He takes a long pull from his bottle of water and I settle back into the leather seat, swiveling back and fourth.

 

“I kissed her at the end-of-tour party.”  I start and he gives me a nod, I know he saw that little encounter, but I figure starting from the beginning is a good place to go from.  “And she avoided me the entire time I was in Europe.  I couldn’t bring myself to face her, so I let her avoid me.  But then when I got back to the states I had to see her because I’m helping her with her new album, and that night in the studio she…well, she initiated some fucking hot make out session and we ended up back at my place.”

 

“So are you two a thing now?”  He asks, grabbing the glass paperweight off of my desk and throwing it in the air only to catch it again.  I glare at him and he puts the object down.  That was a gift from my little brother and I don’t want it broken.  Trace is a horrible catcher.

 

“I don’t know.”  My computer screen flashes at me and I answer Rachel’s IM.  She’s in the guest house and we’re communicating through instant messenger.  What a lazy ass.  “We haven’t really talked about it yet.  She’s been pretty embarrassed by the whole thing, though.”

 

“I heard about the encounter with your mom.”  He chuckles, grinning widely at me.  “I can’t believe she caught you guys.”

 

“Technically, Rachel caught us in bed, my mom just guessed correctly.”  I have to laugh a little at the memory of Abbey’s expression, “It was pretty funny, though, poor Jude looked like she wanted to crawl into a whole and die.”

 

“Well, maybe she was just reliving the sex you two had and regretting her decision.”  This time I throw the pen in my hand at his head.  I cannot believe he said that, asshole.  “I’m kidding, I’m kidding.  I’m sure you rocked her world.”  He’s still laughing a little and I’m questioning our friendship.

 

“Jackass.”  I’m pouting a little, “You’re supposed to be on my side with this one, remember?”

 

“I am on your side. I’m just giving you shit, too.  Face it, J, seeing you get all pissy is probably the highlight of my day.”  I look for something else to throw at him but can’t find anything so I kick him in the shin instead.  “Ouch!”

 

“Serves you right.”  Rachel’s IM flashes at me again and I glance at the print on the screen.  She’s reminding me that I’m needed in the studio in twenty minutes and then she asks if I need any condoms before I leave.  She’s a comedian, really.  “All right, fucker, I’m off.”

 

“Got a hot date?”  We stand, leaving my office and heading to the kitchen so I can grab a drink and something to munch on before I take off.

 

“Yeah, with Abbey and about four other guys.”

 

“Ew, Justin, that’s nasty.  I didn’t know you were into that kinky shit.”  Again, there’s a shit eating grin on his face and I wonder if he has any other looks or if this is the only one.

 

“You and Rachel should join a comedy troupe or something.  You’re both fucking hilarious.”  I pause for a second before adding, “Or maybe just a circus, you’re short enough to be the midget clown.”

 

I laugh as he flips me the bird.  I guess the expression on his face does change.

 

“I thought that when people get laid they’re supposed to be more relaxed, nicer.”  It’s his turn to pout a little and I let out another chuckle.

 

“I am relaxed, and I’m allowing you to live in my house and eat all my food for free.  I’d call that pretty damn nice, if you ask me.”  He shrugs at me, not willing to argue, I suppose.  “I’ve gotta go, I’ll see you later.”  We slap hands and I leave the kitchen and head to the garage.

 

I haven’t talked to Abbey since yesterday’s little incident with my Mom.  She seemed OK, if not a little embarrassed still.  I can’t really blame her, though.  It’s not often that your sex life is common knowledge less than twenty-four hours after it’s happened.  I’m still a little put off by it, but I’m trying not to let it show.  I know that everyone means well, and Trace and Rachel have always been aware of what’s going on in my love life. I can’t really keep them shut out now just because it’s Abbey.

 

I’m looking forward to the studio session today.  I want to see Abbey, obviously, but I’m excited by what I heard the other day.  Bruce is an awesome producer and I think he can really bring something new to the table.  I want to be a part of the process, but I also want to step back from it a little and leave the music to Abbey and some of the other producers.  I want this album to have a more mature sound.  I think Bruce can do that.

 

Plus, like I said, I really want to see Abbey.  I’ve become slightly addicted to having the girl around, and now that I’ve had a chance to see…more of her…I really just want to be around her.

 

This whole thing is still a little surreal for me.  I’ve been pining after Abbey and trying to ignore it for such a long time that I can’t really believe what’s happened.  I’m worried that she’s going to get cold feet, or whatever you want to call it, and shy away from me.  She seems unsure of this whole thing and I just hope that I can get her to open up.  Of course, there is still the chance that she doesn’t feel the same way as I do and whatever happened will be a one time thing.

 

God, I hope that that doesn’t happen.

 

The ride to the studio is short, and I feel a rush of nerves when I spot her tell-tale white Beetle in the parking lot.  I have no idea how she’s going to handle being in the studio with me after the other night.  Knowing Abbey, she’ll be as professional as ever and no one will be the wiser.  Is it wrong of me to hope that she’s the tiniest bit affectionate?  I’m not one for PDA, but I don’t think Bruce would tell anyone, and…well…I just want her close.

 

I’m such a girl.

 

The studio is the small, hole-in-the-wall place that Abbey and I recorded her first album in.  I like it because it’s close and relatively unknown.  It’s called “That Place” so just looking at it, a person wouldn’t know that it’s a studio.  It’s always worked for me.

 

Abbey’s in the booth when I get inside, and I enter mostly unnoticed. 

 

She’s going through the song we listened to the other day; the one I liked.  She sounds good, a little raw, but it really fits the song.  She’s focused on her guitar, so she doesn’t see me as I sit next to Bruce and settle in to listen.  I love being in the studio with artists, especially ones that are in a different vein of music than I am.  It’s such a creative environment when musical styles mix.  When I’m not working on my own project, being in the studio with someone else is my favorite place to be.

 

It doesn’t hurt that I’m spending this studio time with my new favorite person.

 

“Great job, Rhodes, come on out.”  Bruce calls Abbey out of the booth and she grins when she sees me.

 

“Hey Boss man.”  There’s a sparkle in her eyes as she says it and I can’t help but chuckle a little.

 

“Hey, Jude.  Great work in there.”  She grabs a seat next to me, tucking her legs underneath her as she sits.  I really want to lean over and kiss her, but I don’t think she would be very comfortable with everyone else in the room.

 

“Do you think that one’s going to be a keeper?”  She’s looking between me and Bruce when she asks.

 

“Well, I love it, but you might make twenty more songs that I love, too, so this one may not make it in the end.”  I hope she can accept that answer.  It’s too soon in the recording to decide what direction this album is headed in and this song is a great one, but it might not fit in later on.  Right now I’m just looking for her to test out some new producers and stir up some new ideas.

 

“Fair enough,” she smiles at me and the urge to kiss her is just as strong.  I’m tempted to kick everyone else out of the studio so I can give her the attention I’d like to, but that would be slightly unprofessional.  Plus, I’m paying these people to be here.

 

Bruce takes over, grabbing a guitar and going through some hooks with Abbey as she adds some lyrics and ideas of her own.  I sit back, letting them do their thing.  I’m really not needed here as far as producing goes.  I just want to be a part of the creative aspect, and I want to make sure that Abbey is comfortable.  So, for now, I’m just here to listen.

 

~*~

 

A couple of hours later leaves me and Abbey finally by ourselves.  Bruce and his crew left a few minutes ago and I’m barely restraining myself from jumping on the girl across from me.

 

“So…Boss man…”  She grins at me, leaning back in her chair.

 

“I thought I told you not to call me that?”

 

“You said not to call you that when we’re in bed together.”  She gives me another wide grin, “I though you boys liked stuff like that.  You know, the whole ‘who’s your daddy’ thing?”

 

My head falls back against the seat as I let out a loud laugh.  This girl will never cease to amaze me.

 

“You can call me Daddy if you want to, Jude.”  I’m teasing and she knows it, but she still wrinkles her nose at the idea.

 

“No thanks, that’s just a little strange.”  I watch her for a few seconds longer before I can’t help myself and I get up out of my chair and cross over to her.  I just have to kiss her.

 

Our lips met slowly, and I take my time working over her mouth, tasting her.  She tastes like the fruity gum she was chewing earlier.  It’s pretty hot.  I rest my hands on either side of her, trapping her into the chair.  She hooks her legs around my waist, pulling me close and I smile against her mouth as she nibbles on my lip.

 

“I was waiting for that.”  She breathes out as we separate a little.

 

“Sorry I made you wait…I’ll have to make it up to you.”  I smirk, leaning in for another kiss.  I could do this all day, really.

 

“As much as I would enjoy just sitting here like this,” she starts, rubbing her legs against mine, “I am absolutely starving.  You need to feed me.”

 

“Oh, I need to, do I?”

 

She looks up at me with these big doe eyes and nods, “Yeah, you do.  I don’t kiss for free, Boss man.”

 

“Good to know, Jude.”  I chuckle, stepping away from her and giving her my hand as she stands up from her seat.  “I was thinking of having a small cook out at my house, are you up for it?”

 

“How small is small?”

 

“The usual crowd.”  I shrug, “A couple of the dancers are in town for the weekend and I thought it would be cool for all of us to get together.  I promise it won’t get out of hand.”

 

“Good, I’m not up for huge crowds tonight; I’m starting to get a headache.  A cook out sounds nice, though.”  She wraps her arms around my waist as we leave the studio.  I hope she’s not pissed if more than a few people show up.  I didn’t invite a ton of people, but I know how these things go.  It’s a snowball effect, and if Trace learns about it, he’ll invite a bunch too.

 

I have a little bit of a bad feeling about this, but I’m going to swallow it and focus on how happy I am that Abbey’s with me.

Chapter End Notes:
It's a little slow, but I'm working on it :)  I hope you all enjoy, and again, a big thank you to everyone that's reading and reviewing. :) 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers tourj