November 2, 1995

“Okay, guys. Call it a night. I’ll see you in my office at ten, then we’ll head over to BMG. You’re scheduled with them at noon, so we’ll do a quick run through, then take our time getting there.” Johnny gave them a nod as he headed up the stairs, Matt following on his heels. “Get some rest, boys.” As he pushed the door open and stepped into the hallway, Johnny looked down and stopped in his tracks, puzzled by the cooler blocking the front door. Moving closer, he found two smaller bags sitting on top – one labeled with his name, the other with Matt’s. “What’s this?”

“What?” Matt leaned around him to take a look. “Jace wasn’t kidding. She really is a mama bear.” A quiet laugh escaped. “I’m betting that’s our dinner.”

“Mama bear?” Johnny’s brow arched as he glanced at the choreographer. “Who’s a mama bear?”

“Jen. She has this habit of taking care of everybody. Giving us the studio to work in, feeding us, arranging help for Lance, letting them invade her space whenever they need to relax. She even set me up with my girlfriend.” Leaning down, Matt picked up the note anchored to the cooler and smiled, reading out loud as the others gathered in the hallway behind him. “I know it’s late, but you’ve got a busy day tomorrow. Take it with you and eat at least a little bit tonight. I’d wish you good luck on the audition, but this one’s going to be it. Just do your thing and they’ll love you.”

“Oh, man. What’d she fix?” Joey nodded at Johnny. “Open it up and let’s see.”

“She really doesn’t have to feed me.” The older man shook his head as he picked up the bag and unzipped it, groaning when he saw what was inside. “Ham salad. Sandwiches and some extra with crackers. Looks like the good stuff, too. Man, I haven’t had a good ham salad since my gram passed on.” His fingers tugged at a Ziplock bag tucked to the side. “And cookies. Peanut butter, I think.”

“She must’ve found the recipe she was looking for.” Chris smiled, turning to look down the hallway toward the dim lighting in the main rooms. “Hey, Jace, isn’t her test tomorrow, too?”

“Yeah. She was stressing earlier. I guess she thought cooking would be a good distraction.” JC walked away from the front door, pausing to slide his duffel toward the doorway of the downstairs bedroom. “Will you guys fit in your car, or do you need my Jeep? I’m gonna stay here and meet up with you in the morning.”

“We can fit in mine.” Chris took the keys out of his pocket and tossed them to Lance. “You guys load up. I’ll be there in a minute.” He sent a wave to Johnny and Matt as they walked out the door, then made his way after JC, following him into the kitchen. “You sound worried. Is she okay?”

“I’m sure she is. It’s just … this test is so important to her and she didn’t even have a full six weeks to study for it. I don’t want her to psych herself out.” A tired sigh floated through the semi-darkness as he opened the refrigerator and reached for a bottle of water, laughing quietly when he found the covered plate of food with a note for him on it. “And it actually scares me a little that she knows me so well.” He put the plate on the counter, grinning at Chris as he read the folded paper. “That means you, too, Josh. Water doesn’t cut it after the day you’ve had. Stop worrying about my test, eat at least half of this plate and get some rest. There’s some extra cookies for Chris in my special jar.”

“All right!” Going directly to the jar with music notation around the lid, Chris reached in and pulled out a bag with another dozen cookies in it. “I don’t care if she’s scary sometimes, she’s the best.” He took a bite, humming softly as it melted on his tongue. “Give her a hug for me. And tell her good luck on her test. I should probably run before the kids clear out that cooler. See you in the morning.”

“Yep.” JC took a bite out of a sandwich, chewing quickly. “Care to hit the alarm on your way out? I’ll catch the dead bolts before I turn in.”

“Sure thing.” With a two fingered wave, Chris spun and headed for the door. “Later, C.”

“Later.” Moments later, the beep of the alarm sounded, and the door thumped firmly as it closed. Blue eyes turned back to the note on the counter. “Stop worrying … yeah, right. One of us needs to.” Shaking his head, he finished the sandwich and a handful of crackers before draining his water and returning the plate to the refrigerator.

After making sure the locks were secured, he stopped to change into a pair of pajama pants and an old sleeveless undershirt, then began making his way up the stairs to check on her. Before he was halfway up, a noise drew his attention and he looked down into the living room, his eyes widening when he found her asleep on one of the couches, a book open on her chest and headphones over her ears.

Laughing under his breath, he turned around and came back down, his bare feet padding softly across the wooden floor until he stood above her. Closing the book, he laid it on the coffee table, then removed the headphones, taking extra care not to get them tangled in her hair. Quiet music carried to him and he listened for moment, grinning when he recognized her style in the catchy melody.

He stopped the disc, setting the headphones next to her Discman, and turned back to look at her, a soft smile forming as he took in her peaceful expression. Bending down, he slid his hands underneath her until he was sure he had a good grip, then very carefully lifted her up against his chest.

She breathed deeply and stirred, not quite coming awake as she turned her face into him, her sleepy voice muffled by his shoulder. “Josh?”

“Yeah.” Holding her closer as he moved toward the stairs, his head lowered until his chin rested against her hair. “Bedtime, Boof. Let’s get you to your room.”

“’Kay.” One of her arms wrapped around his neck and chills raced over his skin as her lips moved against him. “Did you eat enough?”

“You know I did.” Humor lightened his voice as he began climbing the staircase. “You always get your way, don’t you, mama bear?”

“Hmmm.” She hummed, still hovering in sleep as her fingers combed into his hair. “Not always.”

Silence settled and by the time he was carrying her into her bedroom, she was breathing steadily against him once again. Table lamps were lit on both sides of the bed, sending a warm glow through the room as he maneuvered around the furniture, laying her down on the side closest to the alarm clock, her brow furrowing when he reached up to pull her arm from around his neck.

He checked that the alarm was set, turned off the lamp, then brushed the hair out of her face before leaning down to kiss her forehead. “’Night, Jenny. Dream well.”

“Josh …” Her voice was little more than a whisper as one of her hands twitched his direction, her head turning slightly toward him. “Stay … please.”

The words gave him pause and he debated the wisdom behind sharing her bed for the night rather than heading downstairs to the room she’d declared as his whenever he wanted it. The decision was easy when she made a restless noise, turning on her side to face him, her hand moving further toward him as she came dangerously close to the edge of the bed.

“Okay, okay.” He spoke softly and pushed against her shoulders, moving her onto her back and toward the middle of the mattress. Shaking his head, he made his way around to the other side, switching off the lamp as he settled on the bed, releasing a deep breath as his body hit the soft comforter.

He’d no more than laid down when she rolled, her arm going around his neck once again, her cheek pressing into his chest as she snuggled herself to him. His heart skipped a few beats when she sighed and relaxed against him.

“What does it do to you whenever you touch her?”

The question Chris had asked him months ago came rushing back as he wrapped his arms around her and moved until he could press his lips to the top of her head. The answer he’d given then had been the absolute truth: he was well aware of what it did to him whenever he touched her. Looking back, he now realized that he’d been having the same reactions to her since he’d turned sixteen: his pulse became abnormal, his body relaxed, breathing became easier … there was peace. Any time she hugged him, touched his hand or leaned into him, happiness came. And whenever he had to leave her behind, every time she had to go away, there was a pain he couldn’t describe.

Which could pose a problem, considering the warnings Johnny had been giving them. It seemed that their type of act wasn’t exactly in demand for the American music scene. More than one of his groups had been sent overseas to break into the international market, attempting to create an interest stateside. Sometimes it worked. More often than not, it didn’t.

The chances of having to leave her again if they signed a deal were astronomically higher than the odds that they’d get to stay in the United States. They’d likely be able to visit, just as he had when he’d been performing for the Club. But those trips were sure to be fewer and farther between … and he’d have to make the impossible decision of splitting his time between his family and her.

“A thousand miles makes a big difference, you know. Besides, long distance relationships aren’t exactly my thing.”

His heart sank as he remembered her reasons for not getting more serious with Tony all those years ago. A thousand miles was only a fraction of the distance they could be travelling, and he knew there was no way he could be what she needed if they were on different continents. Forget being physically available, he wasn’t even sure if regular phone calls would be possible. Even if she could cope with not being able to see him, she needed someone who could be readily emotionally available to her, at the very least.

It didn’t appear that was going to be an option for him. And until the direction their future was headed became more clear, he couldn’t bring himself to allow them the choice.

With a silent groan, he buried his face in her hair and pulled her closer.

God, what I’d give to be able to have you.

----------------------------------------

November 9, 1995

The letter was lying in her mailbox when she got home, a deceivingly nondescript envelope that held results directly impacting the next three to five years of her life. Glancing quickly over at the collection of vehicles in the drive, she did a mental headcount and determined that Johnny must be meeting with the guys this afternoon. Looking down at the letter, she had a brief hope that she could make it to the privacy of her room without attracting attention from the group downstairs.

It was quiet as she walked quickly through the main rooms, grabbing the cordless phone from its cradle before dashing up the stairs and into her bedroom, closing the door behind her. Taking a deep breath, she hopped onto the bed and stretched out, getting comfortable and saying a silent prayer as her fingers tore open the flap and pulled out the single sheet of paper.

She read it quickly, then blinked, shaking her head as she read it again. Sitting straight up, she let her eyes travel over the words one last time before allowing a smile to form.

I passed.

Rolling quickly, she let her feet hit the floor and immediately began a dance of celebration around the room. “I passed!”

Picking up the phone, she dialed quickly, grinning as she listened to the answering machine greeting until the beep sounded. “Hey, Mom! I know you’re at work, but I wanted you to know that I just got my results. I passed! Looks like it’s Winter Class of ’98 for me. We’ll have to celebrate when I come up for break. Love you, Mom. Talk to you later.” Bouncing on her toes, she ended the connection and moved toward the door.

There was a commotion from the basement as she stepped out onto the landing and she heard a stampede heading up to the main level. Distracted by someone calling her name as the door banged open in the hallway, she didn’t realize she’d missed a step until her heel caught the very edge of the stair and slipped off, sending her tumbling onto her back on the staircase. She slid all the way down, her head slamming into each stair until she landed in a heap on the floor, the phone in her hand shattering into pieces with the impact.

For a moment, she just lay there with her eyes closed, holding her breath and trying to focus past the pain in her skull, the faint sound of quick footsteps surrounding her. Finally, she rolled to her back and groaned in agony as the pain made its way from her head and down her neck, radiating all the way through her body until it reached her fingers and toes. “Oh, my … owww.”

“Jenny?” JC’s voice came from somewhere around her and she felt his hands on her arms, releasing her immediately when she whimpered in pain. “God, Boof. Are you okay?”

“I don’t know yet. Give me a minute.” Taking a few deep breaths, she gathered enough of her senses to release the remaining shards of the phone, a slight relief setting in when its jagged edges quit cutting into her left palm. “Okay, I can’t tell. Am I still in one piece?”

“I’m not sure, but I hope you’re in better shape than the phone.” Lance began picking up the scattered pieces of plastic, making sure she didn’t cut herself. “I think it’s pretty much history.”

“If it makes you feel any better, I’ve never seen anybody fall down the stairs that gracefully. It almost looked choreographed.” Chris laughed when she made a face toward the ceiling. “Hey, I’ve finally got a nickname for you. Gracie.”

“Fantastic.” She finally opened her eyes, her brow furrowing as she grimaced, trying to sit up. “My God. I’m going to be feeling that for a few weeks.” Hands gently grasped her shoulders, helping her until she was upright, leaning back against … she turned her head until she could see who was behind her. “Thanks, J.”

“No problem.” He glanced back at the staircase. “What’s the rush, Shorty? Hot date?”

“Something like that.”

“Really?” Joey’s brows arched in surprise, ignoring the elbow Chris jabbed into his side. “Seriously?”

“No, not really.” She laughed, then groaned, shaking her head. “My results came today. I passed the exit exam for my general ed requirements.” With a sigh, she tried rolling out her shoulders. “If I get creative with my program electives and throw in a few summer courses, I should graduate a year and a half ahead of when they expect me to.”

“Looks like good news is going around all over today, huh, boys?”

Jen looked toward the kitchen, where Johnny was leaning against the counter, a half-eaten cookie in his fingers. “What happened?” Her gaze bounced to each smiling face around her, finally stopping to study JC. “You did it, didn’t you? They signed you.”

“As if you didn’t already know they would.” JC grinned, reaching down with both hands to help her stand. “You called it, Jenny. They signed the deal today.” Once she was on her feet, he pulled her into a gentle hug. “We were just on our way to grab you and go celebrate.”

“I guess we’ve all got a reason to party, then, don’t we?” She made her way slowly around the group, hugging each one of them. “If I hadn’t just tried to cripple myself, I’d be a little more enthusiastic about it, but I’m so proud of all of you.” Her hands came to her lower back, massaging the protesting muscles as she turned back to Johnny. “So, where are they going?”

“Sweden.”

“Oh, good.” A relieved smile crossed her features. “I was afraid they’d end up in Japan.”

“What?” JC’s fingers grasped her arm, turning her to face him. “You knew we’d have to go overseas?”

“Yeah.” She nodded her head in their manager’s direction. “I’ve been kept in the loop on pretty much everything. Johnny’s awesome like that.” Her gaze moved over his face and he could see her excitement for them, burying the touch of sadness she felt. It was that tiny bit of dimness in her smile that had him pulling her into his arms, hugging her tightly. “You’re going to have such an amazing time, Josh. When do you leave?”

“We were just getting to that part.” Johnny looked over the group around her. “Most studio work is going on hold because of the holiday season, so we have until January to make travel arrangements and get the paperwork straightened out. WEG has a property in Stockholm that will be your home base, similar to what Lou has for you here, but we’ll be on the move a lot, trying to generate interest with producers in Germany.” His arms crossed over his chest. “Getting the deal signed is just the beginning. The real work starts when we get there.”

“We’ll work then. Right now, we eat.” Joey looked around at the others. “Mexican? We haven’t done Salvador’s in a while.” There was a chorus of agreement and they began moving toward the door, grabbing up keys and bags as they went, pretending not to notice that they were leaving JC still holding Jen at the foot of the stairs.

“I’m glad we got the deal, but I was really hoping for other terms.” With a groan, he rested his chin against the side of her head. “I was praying that we’d at least get to stay in North America.”

“It’s okay, Josh. You have to go where the demand is.” Her smile was genuine as her fingers combed through his hair. “If they love pop groups in Germany, then to Germany you’ll go … or at least as close to Germany as you can get.”

“It’s five thousand miles, Jen.” He raised his head with a sigh. “Five thousand miles.”

“Hey, at least it’s not seven thousand miles.” She put a hand to his face, tapping her fingers against his cheek until he opened his eyes. “If you’re there long enough, maybe I can come visit. I’ve always wanted to see Europe.”

“If they like us, we could be over there for years.” His hands came to her hips, squeezing her as his brow furrowed. “And if we don’t grab somebody’s interest over here, we might have to stay there permanently.”

“Then I guess I’ll get to see a lot of Europe.” One side of her mouth quirked up. “If I pick the right time and you have a little wiggle room in your schedule, maybe we can go to Paris. I’d love to see Paris. Or Rome. Or you could meet me in Scotland. All those castles must be fantastic to see. I could bring H and Ty and we’ll check out Loch Ness, see if we can’t find any signs of Nessie.”

“Boof …” A frustrated sigh escaped.

“Josh, stop it. This is a great opportunity … the best opportunity. Don’t let a little thing like distance make you regret what you’ve worked so hard for.”

“Yeah, I know.” A dark brow rose questioningly. “I kind of imagined that you’d take it a little harder than this. Maybe be just a tad bit more upset?”

“Oh, just you wait. I’ll be a complete mess the week you’re supposed to leave.” She leaned forward and laughed softly into his chest. “You’ll be running for the plane just to escape the waterworks.”

“I doubt that.” He closed his eyes again and hugged her tightly, taking a deep breath when her arms went around his waist. “I don’t want to leave you here alone, Jenny.”

“I won’t be alone. Maggie, Brian, Adam, Matt, Amber, Chloe, the folks from the Center … they’re all here.” A sigh escaped as she pressed her cheek against him. “Mom’s retiring next month, so she’ll be here all the time. I’ll have to tell her to bring your mom down, too. Mrs. Fatone still wants a lot of my recipes – and keeps telling me to set aside time for a bread lesson – so I’m sure she’ll be around. Big Joe is determined to beat me at chess, so he’s threatening me with a rematch. And I’d thought about asking your parents if the kids could visit during a few of their school breaks. The whole family could come, since I’ve got so much room. We could do the Disney thing. Or maybe Busch Gardens. I haven’t been there yet.”

“Just make sure you still have room for me, okay?” A crooked smile formed across his features. “I’m not sure how I feel about you having a list of people ready to take my place.”

“Your place is permanently reserved. Always.” She grinned up at him. “And I’ll have a room for you, too. I know it’s more like a guest room right now, but before you go, we need to make the suite down here yours. It’s basically an apartment, anyway … it just doesn’t have a kitchen. Anything you can’t take with you can stay here and whenever you cross back over to this side of the pond, you’ll have a place to stay when you aren’t in Bowie.”

“You really want me to move in?”

“Well, you already stay here a few nights a week. And I’ve been telling you for months that if the Funky Bunch got to be too much for you, then you could just move over here.” Shaking her head, she laughed. “Honestly, I’m surprised you haven’t caved before now. You know I love them to death, but being trapped with them all day, every day would have me flying off my rocker.”

“Yeah, I know.” He leaned down, kissing her forehead. “Thanks, Jen. You’re the best.”

“Sure.” She pulled away from him when she felt his stomach growling. “Think they’ve already got a table? I’m suddenly in the mood for chimichangas.” As she turned to grab her keys, her lower back and legs protested painfully. “And maybe we should hurry. I get the feeling I’m not going to be very mobile in the next little while.”

“I’m not surprised.” With a laugh, he took the keys from her. “Let’s go, Gracie. Your chariot awaits.”

----------------------------------------

November 18, 1995

“The canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see.” Jen breathed between lines, letting her gaze travel over the circle of toddlers napping on mats around her on the floor, making sure all was well. “It’s not far to Never-Never Land, no reason to pretend …” She shifted carefully in the rocking chair, trying to jumpstart the blood flow to her still-bruised legs without jostling the little chatterbox lying on her lap. “Sailing takes me away …”

“Miss Denny?”

No such luck. Sighing, she turned a smile to the big green eyes staring up at her. “What is it, Sophie?”

“Why sing dat song?”

“Because my Daddy sang it to put me to sleep when I was your age. It was his favorite, so now it’s one of mine.” With a quiet laugh, she lowered her head to kiss the crown of black curls leaned against her shoulder. “Don’t you like it?”

“Wike.” A tiny hand came up to pat her cheek. “Sing mo’?”

“You want more Sailing?”

“Sumpin’ else?”

“Okay, but you have to close your eyes first.” A sound came from the hallway and she cringed, looking around for movement among the others. “Nap time won’t be over for a little while longer.”

“’Kay.” Sophie obediently closed her eyes, snuggling into Jen as she relaxed again. “Sing mo’.”

“When the night has come and the land is dark, and the moon is the only light we’ll see …” After some quick thought, she began a different tune and set to rocking the chair, carefully shifting the toddler into a more comfortable position as her breathing deepened. “No, I won’t be afraid. No, I won’t be afraid. Just as long as you stand, stand by me. So darlin’, darlin’, stand by me …”

A louder noise came from the doorway and Jen swallowed hard, looking down at the child who was beginning to stir in her arms, her eyes blinking open again.

“Miss Denny?”

A silent groan was masked by another smile. “Yes, Sophie?”

“Why sing dat song?”

“Because it reminds me of my friend.”

“Oo have fwien?”

“Yep. I have lots of friends, but this one is special.” She leaned down to whisper in Sophie’s ear. “He’s my best friend.”

Green eyes widened, intrigued. “He spesho?”

Very special.”

“Berry spesho.” Sophie was quiet for a moment, her head tilting as she looked across the room. “Miss Denny?”

“Hmm?”

“Who dat?”

“Who’s … who?” Jen followed the girl’s pointing finger to the doorway and found JC and Chris leaned on either side, grinning at her. Shaking her head, she sent them a smile and turned back to Sophie. “That’s JC and Chris. They’re friends of mine.”

“Daycee an’ Cwis?” Sophie looked up for confirmation.

“That’s right. JC is my very special friend. Okay, I’m going to set you down, sweetie.” Sliding the girl off her lap, she began fishing in her pocket. “You want to know a big secret?”

Black curls bounced with a vigorous nod.

“Okay, but you have to promise to keep it. Promise?” Retrieving her car keys, she watched as Sophie nodded again. “JC gives the best hugs in the world.”

“Inna whirl?”

“Uh huh. In the whole wide world.” She pressed the keys into the little girl’s hand and pulled her close. “If you take these keys to him and ask really nicely, he’ll give you one. How does that sound?”

The toddler looked down at the keys in her hand. “Keys to Daycee an’ hug?”

“That’s right.” Jen turned Sophie toward the doorway and pointed to the left. “Take them to the man in the blue shirt, okay?”

Without another word, little feet took off at a run toward JC, stopping just short of slamming into his shins. Sophie craned her head back to look way up. “Daycee?”

“That’s me.” With a laugh, he knelt in front of her, smiling into the cherubic face. “Hi, sweetheart. What’s your name?”

“Is Sophie.”

“Oh, what a pretty name!” He exclaimed, crossing his arms over his knee and sending a glance over the girl’s head to find Jen biting her lips to hold back laughter. “It’s nice to meet you, Sophie.”

“Nice meet.” The keys jingled in her tiny fingers as she held them out. “Miss Denny say keys to Daycee an’ hug.”

“The keys are for me and you want a hug?” As he took the keys, he waited for clarification.

“Hug.” Sophie nodded. “Peas? Miss Denny say Daycee bes’ hug inna whirl.”

“Is that so?” A grin lightened his face as Chris covered a laugh with a fake cough. “Well, I guess we’ll find out, huh?” Very carefully, he gathered the toddler to him in a tight hug, lifting her from the floor so that she could wrap her little arms around his neck. Standing to his feet, he began swaying from side to side, letting his cheek rest on her black curls. “How’s that, Sophie?”

“Bes’ inna whirl.” She sighed against him. “Miss Denny say Daycee berry spesho fwien. Sing song fo’. Daycee me spesho fwien, too?”

“Sure thing, kiddo.” His hand patted her back as her head turned on his shoulder, her gaze landing on Chris.

“Cwis hug, too?”

“Me, too?” Dark eyes widened in mock surprise when her arms stretched his direction. “Are you sure? You just had the best hug in the world. I’d probably disappoint.”

“No hug depoit. Peas?” A pout marred Sophie’s face as she reached further for him. “Cwis spesho fwien, too?”

“Yeah, I’m special, too.” Chris took her from JC, smiling when she immediately put her arms around his neck and cuddled into his chest. “Aren’t you just a little princess?”

“No pwincie. I jus’ Sophie.”

“Oops. My bad. Just Sophie it is.” He bent down, putting her on her feet and pointing her back to the napping group. “We’ve got to go, Just Sophie, but we’ll see you again.”

“’Kay. Bye bye bye. Nice meet, Daycee, Cwis.” Without a backward glance, she took off, running across the room to where Jen had turned the chair around to watch them. She grinned and held her arms out when the toddler came close, expertly hiding her grimace as she scooped her right back into her lap.

“Bye guys. Have fun.” Jen leaned down and whispered into Sophie’s ear, smiling as the little girl waved goodbye before looking back toward the doorway. “Pick me up at four?”

“See you then.” JC nodded and waved, turning to follow Chris out into the hallway. Pausing just outside the door, he glanced over his shoulder, taking in how Jen hugged the toddler into her body, automatically rocking in a soothing motion and humming. She smiled softly when little fingers patted at her face, then pressed her lips against Sophie’s cheek.

“Hey, Jace … we gotta go, man. Stop mooning over Gracie and get a move on.”

Shaking his head, he took off after Chris, heading for the parking lot.

*********************

Four o’clock couldn’t come fast enough, but when four thirty arrived and she still had children at her feet, Jen knew it was going to be a long evening. With a sigh, she made sure her backpack was secured in a spot on her back that would cause the least pain before leaning down to pick up a whimpering toddler in each arm and making her way out the door and down the hallway. The little ones clung tightly to her, each limb pressing against her bruised skin, tiny fingers tangling painfully in her hair as she stopped at the reception desk.

“Hey, Kara. Any sign of Clowers and Bright?”

The girl working the desk looked up at her exhausted tone, her eyes widening at the trio standing in front of her. “Oh, hey, Jen. Are you still here?”

“Yep. We’ve got two stragglers.” The children looked back and forth between the young women, lips beginning to tremble in warning of oncoming waterworks. “Parent pick up running late today?”

“I didn’t think so, but I guess I didn’t realize what time it was.” Kara glanced toward the doors as they came open, both of the parents under question rushing in, full of apologies as they claimed their offspring and ran back out. “Well, that was convenient. Did you have the Romper Room to yourself today?”

All by myself.” Jen released a weary breath. “And I’m hoping it doesn’t happen again. They’re sweet, but eight little ones are really too much for one person.” She shifted uncomfortably under the weight of her bag. “And it doesn’t help that I’m too stiff to really chase after them.”

“Yeah, I heard what happened.” Kara grimaced as she recalled the description. “It’s a miracle you didn’t break something. Good thing you’ve got a vacation next week. Maybe you’ll be healed up before you come back in.”

“Hopefully. A little TLC from my Mom will work wonders, I’m sure.”

Both girls looked up when the door opened again, JC stepping into the lobby and looking around, smiling when he found her. “Hey, Boof. You ready?”

“Yeah. Be right there.” She turned back to Kara. “Have a great Thanksgiving.”

“You, too.” Kara’s eyes moved over JC twice and she nodded appreciatively before leaning across the counter and lowering her voice. “And I’d think a little TLC from him would work more than wonders. Just saying.”

“Uh huh. Okay.” Jen laughed as she walked slowly toward the door, shaking her head. “See you later.”

“Later.”

“Sorry I’m late.” She apologized as she came closer to him, reaching for the straps on her shoulders to adjust them again. “We had a few to stay over.”

“No biggie.” He held the door for her, letting her get just in front of him before hooking his fingers through the top loop of her pack. “Here, let me take it.” She didn’t argue when he slipped the bag from her arms, sighing in relief when the weight left her back. “Are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine. I’m just stiff. And tired.” A grin formed as she looked up at him. “I love working the Romper Room, but it’s hard enough when it’s just me, let alone when my body feels like it’s ninety years old.”

“Well, ninety won’t last forever.” He laughed quietly, letting his arm rest lightly on her shoulders as they walked to the car. “You’ll be back to normal before you know it.”

“I hope so.” She shook her head when he tried to hand her the keys. “No, you drive. Until we get to where you’re going, anyway.” With a sigh, she pulled open the front passenger side door and reached for her bag. “After I leave you, I get to run to the grocery store. I’ll take any resting minute I can get.” Her gaze traveled to the back seat, one brow raising when she found Chris and Justin quietly trading punches. “Oh, hey guys. Along for the ride?”

“Hey, Shorty.” Justin grinned. “Fun day?”

“Sure … the funnest, as the two-year-olds like to say.” She sat back in the seat, shifting until she was almost comfortable before digging through her bag for her grocery list and giving it a quick review. “Kind of glad it’s almost over.”

“Change of plan, guys.” JC started the engine, casting a sideways glance her direction, just in time to catch her pained grimace. “Grocery store, then Jen’s place.”

“What? No, you guys don’t have to …”

“Cool. Let’s see your list.” Cutting off her protest, Chris reached between the seats and plucked the paper from her fingers. “You itemize by aisle number? Damn, Gracie. Just split it into three and we’ll knock it out in no time.” He studied the list, then handed it back to her. “What are you making, anyway?”

“I’m getting a head start on prepping for my Christmas baking. I have a few extra treat baskets to make this year.” Pulling out a pen, she added a few more items. “And Joey’s mom asked me to bring potato and pasta salads and a few desserts for their pre-holiday thing this weekend.”

“There wouldn’t be a Reese’s pie on that menu, would there?” Justin leaned forward, giving her his very best puppy-dog expression. “The last one you made was yum.”

“Yum, huh?” She laughed and put her hand on his face, pushing him into his seat. “I guess that would work. It’d be easy enough to make a larger version in a cake pan.” In the rearview mirror, she caught the fist bump between the two in the back. “Seriously, you guys are such pushovers. A little chocolate, some peanut butter and you’re helpless mush.”

“Just for you, Gracie. You spoil us on purpose, and you know it.” Chris winked at her in the mirror as JC pulled into a parking space. “It’s okay.  Even if you didn’t, we’d know you love us.”

“Like you give me a choice.” Her smile cut through her exhaustion and she split the list evenly as they piled out of the car. “Okay, you guys take the sides, Josh and I will take the middle. I’m kind of picky about my baking ingredients and seasonings.”

“Sure thing. We’ll meet you in the baking aisle, then.” Justin gave a quick wave as he and Chris each grabbed a basket and split to opposite ends of the store, leaving Jen to take a cart.

“They’re going to be finished before we are.” Her tone was apologetic as she looked over at JC, who matched her slow pace through the store. “Sorry. I know this isn’t exactly a guy thing.”

“Take your time. We’ve got nowhere to be.” He smiled, following her as she selected jars of smooth and chunky peanut butter, then reached up for the pickles and spiced olives she pointed out on a high shelf. “How do you shop when you’re by yourself? There’s a lot of stuff you can’t reach.”

“Stock boys are actually pretty nice.” Glancing down at her list, she bit back a grin. “There’s usually one going by just when I need him.”

“Uh huh. I’m sure they’re all kinds of handy.” Rolling his eyes when she couldn’t see him, he shook his head as he focused on a guy in a grocery store apron hovering around the head of the aisle. “Anyway, you should definitely check Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum’s baskets when we find them. They’ve probably made bets on who finishes first, so there’s no telling what you’ll end up with.”

“Thanks for the tip.” She paused, then laughed as they turned into the baking aisle. “I think J ended up with the candy aisle on his side. Do I need to be worried?”

“More than likely.”

“Great. Well, I could always make cookie bars with the extras.” She tossed in a variety of pudding and cake mixes, a box of graham cracker crumbs, a few packages of chocolate chips, a bag of powdered sugar, some Marshmallow Creme and a large tin of cocoa before stopping in front of the spices, her gaze falling on a plastic jar of Pumpkin Pie Spice. “Oh, that reminds me. I need to make sure Mom picks up the stuff for a pumpkin roll next week. Your dad and Heather always like one at Thanksgiving.”

“You know, Chris wasn’t kidding. You really do spoil everybody.”

“Except for you, now that I think about it.” Her teeth worked over her lip as she turned her attention to him. “I can’t think of one time when you’ve asked for anything special.”

“Jenny, you’re too good to me and you know it. You’re letting me move in with you … even if I won’t actually be here much, you’ll be housing my stuff. Besides, you already know my weaknesses.” He laughed, pulling her to his side and kissing the top of her head. “Anything chocolate and I’m at your mercy.”

“Noted. I’m thinking a Death by Chocolate might be on the menu, too.” She picked up a few packages of brownie mix and grinned at his mock groan, then pointed to a row of spices just out of her reach. “Can you hand me two cinnamons, a paprika and a red pepper? With the black label?”

As he was reaching for the containers, the song over the store radio changed and she immediately focused on the familiar melody, her eyes widening as the first verse began.

Sorry I never told you all I wanted to say
And now it’s too late to hold you
’Cuz you’ve flown away, so far away


She grabbed his wrist, jerking him to a halt.

“You did say paprika, right?” He turned to look at her. “Jen?”

“Shh! Listen.” Bouncing on her toes, her pain was forgotten as she grinned brightly. “Listen!”

“To what?” His brow furrowed as he listened carefully, his gaze meeting hers at the familiar lyrics. “Is that Boyz II Men?”

“That’s my song.” She gasped, hopping up and down as a new voice came in. “They made it a duet with … Mariah Carey?” He could see the excitement in her eyes when her other hand instinctively reached for him. “Josh, Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey are singing my song!”

With a wide grin, he dropped the spices in the cart and grabbed her up against him, her feet leaving the floor and her arms going around his neck as he spun with her, both of them laughing. Their excited ruckus earned more than a few stares and drew Chris and Justin to the head of the aisle, curious about the commotion.

“That’s my song!” Without thinking – and with total disregard to their audience – her hands came to his face, her lips meeting his in a giddy, friendly peck. As she pulled away, brown eyes locked on blue and she felt him take a shuddering breath, his eyes darkening as he leaned into her, connecting again.

For a split second, she was startled, then she closed her eyes and tilted her head to give him a better angle as his mouth moved against hers. With a nearly silent whimper, she responded, her fingers sliding around and into his hair as she relaxed into his arms. He lowered her so she could stand, his lips catching hers over and over again as one arm tightened to pull her closer, his hand coming to her face as he proceeded to blow their kiss from her prom night completely out of the water, setting off a riot of fireworks through her that would rival any Fourth of July display.

Vaguely aware of the twittering among the shoppers watching them, he lightened the pressure and tried to back off, but she went on her toes and followed after him, her arms wrapping around his neck as she showed him that she wasn’t ready for an ending yet. Sighing into her, he kissed her softly a few times more before finally pulling away, resting his forehead against hers as he licked his lips, catching the surprising flavor of berries and cream. Smiling inwardly, he let himself focus on her mouth, wondering if she knew how much of a turn-on the flavored lip gloss was … and he briefly considered asking if this was the only flavor she wore, or if there were others she used.

Her eyes opened after a moment, meeting his for only seconds before softening with a confused smile, a faint blush staining her cheeks as she tried to gather herself enough to form a coherent thought. “Well, that … Josh, I … I, uh … Wow.” As the stuttered mess of words tumbled out, she grimaced with an embarrassed moan, her face instantly blazing a bright crimson. He chuckled under his breath, straightening up to press his lips to her forehead then pulling her to him so she could hide her face in his chest.

That’s one way to put it, Boof. Definitely wow.

“Now that was a kiss!” An elderly man shuffled down the aisle, his eyes sparking with amusement as he clapped a gnarled hand over JC’s shoulder on his way by. “Always kiss her like that, son. Trust me, time will fly away before you know it. Don’t waste a day, don’t waste a minute.” He smiled as he moved away. “I’d give anything to be able to kiss my girl like that again.”

A glance further down the aisle had him meeting the gleeful, triumphant expressions his bandmates were sporting. Chris raised his eyebrows suggestively and Justin was grinning like the Cheshire cat as they both gave him nods of approval and a comically synchronized thumbs-up. Looking at them, reality came crashing down on him, and he groaned silently as he turned back to her, leaning down to bury his face against her hair.

Time’s not the only thing flying away, old man. So am I. Five thousand miles, Jenny. How could I possibly ask you to be mine with that between us?

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers mmcera debutsync presync jc justin joey chris college lance eurosync