January 13, 1997

“She’s not a guest, Sara. She’s family.”

Diane’s voice carried from the door of the warehouse, and JC opened his eyes, careful not to tilt his head too far as he looked around the woman applying his makeup for that day’s filming, trying to see what was going on in the mirror. A grin quickly formed when he saw the reflection and he sat back, sending a glance to the teen sitting in one of the chairs to the side, waiting for his turn with the makeup artist. “Hey, J.”

“Hmm?” Not even looking up, Justin flipped a page and continued to focus on the article he was reading.

“Look who’s here.”

“What?” Brow furrowed, blue eyes came away from the issue of Sports Illustrated in his hands. “Who’s here?”

“Seriously, man.” JC laughed, gesturing behind them with his thumb. “Check it out.”

“What?” Still confused, Justin turned his attention in the direction JC was pointing, a bright smile breaking across his features as he dropped the magazine and jumped up from his seat, taking off at a sprint across the large room. “Shorty! You made it!”

“Barely.” Her eyes were wide as he descended upon her and she braced herself for his exuberant hug. “Blondie back there really didn’t want to let me in the door.”

“Oh, that’s just Sara. She’s one of Johnny’s crew.”

“She looks familiar.” There was a tug on her bag, and she glanced down to see Diane’s fingers wrapped around the strap. With a grateful smile, Jen let her take it, then looked over in the blonde’s direction. “Isn’t she the girl from your last video?”

“Yeah. She was already there and being paid, so Johnny had her pulling double duty.” Picking her up, he started walking toward the wardrobe area. “You’ve got perfect timing, Jen. Jace is still in makeup, so the rest of us get you for a little while.”

“I can walk, you know.” She laughed, hugging him around the neck. “It’s so good to see you, J.”

“You, too. I was really bummed we weren’t able to meet up before we had to be here for filming.” His arms squeezed her tightly and he pressed a kiss into her hair. “We head back to Sweden as soon as we finish the video, and it wouldn’t have been right to not see you again this trip, sis.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry, kiddo.” Turning her head, she caught JC’s wink in the mirror as they passed, returning it with a smile and a wave. “I’ve been kind of busy.”

“I’ll bet you have.” He stepped around the corner, where the others were being outfitted in black pants and various types of white shirt. “Hey guys … look who’s here!”

“Gracie!” Chris glanced up first, grinning as he pushed between the clothes on the rack and moved toward them. “How does it feel to be both a Golden Globe and a Grammy nominee?”

“Weird.” She heard footsteps approaching and released her hold on Justin’s neck, trying to twist around so she could see them. “People suddenly want to know who I am.”

“That’s what happens when you come out of nowhere and take the world by storm.” With a laugh, he reached up to thump Justin on the shoulder. “Dude, put her down. The rest of us need hugs, too.”

A playfully defiant expression came across the teen’s face and Jen groaned over his shoulder. “Come on, J. I had to be on the road by four to make sure I got here before filming started.” Leaning back, she gave him a pleading look and kicked her feet. “It’s already been a long day. No funny stuff. Not before I’ve had a nap. Please?”

“You had to break out the sad eyes, didn’t you? Damn.” Rolling his eyes to mask his concern at the weariness in her tone, he sighed and leaned down until she was standing. “Okay, okay. There you go.”

“Thanks, little bro.” She smiled up at him, squeezing him around the waist before turning to the others. “I was kind of afraid I wasn’t going to make it, but Mac agreed with me that all those interview requests could wait until either closer to the ceremony, or afterward.” Stepping forward, she leaned into Chris’ hug. “It builds mystery or whatever. And nobody wants to make a big deal out of the losers, anyway.”

“Hey, now.” Chris looked down at her, brow furrowed. “Why do you think you’re going to lose?”

“Because I’ve learned to keep my hopes low.” Her shoulders shook with laughter. “If I start out with no expectations, then I can’t really be disappointed, can I?”

“After the year you just had, I’d say you’re already winning, Hot Stuff.” Joey spun her around until she slammed into his chest, then wrapped his arms around her. “This would just be a bonus, right?”

“Exactly, Joe Bear.” Returning his hug, she grinned. “Icing on the cupcake. Besides, I’m not too amped for the Globes, anyway. Mac says our focus should be more on the Grammys, so I’m not even going to the other ceremony.”

“Smart thinking. Change the World is unique and has a really cool groove. Wynonna’s version is fantastic, but Clapton was the perfect way to deliver it for wide release.” Lance joined them, scratching his neck. “I think you’ve got it in the bag.”

“Tell that to Diane Warren and Babyface.” She sighed and shook her head, then moved over for her last hug. “I wish I had the confidence you guys have. Considering who I’m up against, I’ll just be happy to be there.” Letting out another laugh, she glanced around at them all. “I’ve never even been to New York and my first visit is for the Grammy Awards. How crazy is that?”

“Just make sure to have a great acceptance speech ready, Boof. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna need it.” JC approached the group, shrugging into a long-sleeved white button-down shirt. “They’re ready for you, J. Stefan’s finishing up blocking a few things, then he’ll be getting us going.” As Justin walked away, he turned toward Jen with a smile, arms lifted slightly at his sides. “My turn?”

“I suppose … if I have to.” With a half-hearted shrug, she went to him, fighting back a smile when she felt him pulling her tightly into his chest. Closing her eyes, she rested her cheek against the soft fabric of his shirt and looped her arms around his waist. For a moment, she relaxed into him, then took a deep breath and let her eyes blink open, meeting the icy glare Sara was sending her from across the room. Her brow furrowed in confusion, then she let it go and tilted her head back to grin up at him. “You look good in black and white.”

“Thanks. This is one of the dancing and photo shoot outfits. They had us in all black yesterday.” He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. “How long can you stay?”

“If I can get a hotel room, I was hoping to be here until Wednesday. There’s a payphone in the parking lot, so I’ll check for a phone book and call around from my cell to see what I can find.”

“Don’t worry about it. They’ve got us in rooms at the hotel down the block and you can just crash with one of us.”

“Yeah.” Lance spoke up, kneeling to make sure his shoelaces were tied tightly. “I can move in with Mom and you can take my spot with Jace.”

“Are you sure?” Jen looked toward Lance with an appreciative smile. “I don’t want to put anybody out.”

“Oh, absolutely. She’s got a suite at the end of the hall, so there’s lots more room with her.” Laughing quietly, he stood and arched an eyebrow at her. “Did you really just say you got a cell phone?”

“Mom decided to throw her weight around.” With a sarcastic eye roll, she looked to the ceiling. “When she saw how busy I was with last fall’s schedule, she took over as my go-between with Mac and thinks she needs to be able to contact me at all times, just in case something monumental happens. Or, you know, if I end up broken down in the middle of nowhere, then I can call in the cavalry.” Her fingers slipped into her pocket and pulled out the compact, folding phone, passing it over for him to check out. “It’s handy, even if it does look like something straight out of Clueless.”

“Cool. I can see how it’d be awesome to get updates with that.” Joey leaned over, watching as Lance flipped it open and played with the antennae. “Is that how you found out about your nomination?”

“Actually, we were standing in the kitchen when Mac called.” Her eyes came up to meet JC’s, sparking with humor. “If you think my kitchen dancing is something to see, you should’ve seen us right then. We didn’t even hang up the phone, just went crazy and let him hear it all.” Giggling quietly, she tightened her arms around his waist and turned to face Lance. “But I did get some good news during my drive here. Tim McGraw signed a recording agreement for one of my tracks.”

“No way.” Green eyes skipped up to her, flashing with excitement. “Seriously?”

“He’s working on an album right now, so we’ll have to wait and see if it makes it onto the final cut, but he’s definitely interested.” With a smile, she watched as her phone was passed to Joey. “Amazingly, I’ve got people now, so I’m hoping to wrangle up a promise for an autographed copy of the project.”

“Girlie, you’re the best.”

“I’m trying, anyway.” She laughed when he began bouncing on his toes. “Your mom took my bag when I came in. If you can find her, there’s something in the side pocket to hold you over until we see if I can deliver on Tim. I hope Martina ranks as high as he does.”

“Oh my God. Martina?” Not caring that she was still hugged against JC, Lance leaned over and kissed her cheek, then took off in search of her bag, nearly skipping like a little kid.

The group laughed as they watched him pull out the CD case, gesturing animatedly to Diane as he pointed out the colorful cover art, and Chris turned to her with a grin. “We never get to see Lance act his age. Good job, Gracie.”

“Well, I’m glad I could make his day. She was nice enough to offer me an advance copy of the country single mix of Valentine. I don’t think they’ve even decided if they’re going to release it to that format yet.” Taking her phone from Chris, she tucked it back into her pocket and smiled as she returned Lance’s wave of thanks, her gaze clashing once again with the blonde girl’s angry stare. “I wish everyone was that easy to please.”

JC leaned down until he could whisper in her ear. “You made my day just by walking in the door.” Kissing her forehead, he straightened up and released her as the director began yelling loudly, calling everyone into their spots. “Time to go to work.”

“Have fun.” She gestured around the warehouse. “Where can I hang out that’s out of the way?” A deep yawn escaped. “Or maybe take a nap?”

“Tired, huh?” His eyes narrowed when he saw the exhaustion in her expression. “They haven’t started getting the non-dancing shots ready yet, so I don’t think we’re using the couches until tomorrow. There’s some pillows floating around with the furniture, and you might even be able to see the routine from there.” He pointed out a crowded corner. “Hospitality is set up over there, so grab a drink or something to eat and get comfy. I’ll come find you when we get a break, okay?”

“Okay.”

His hands came to her face, tilting her chin up until he could kiss her lips quickly. “I’m so glad you made it, Boof.” With a wink and a grin, he spun around and jogged over to where the others were waiting, taking his place and listening to the director’s instruction.

The track began echoing around the warehouse, and she stood there watching them go through the dance routine for the opening and first verse of the song a few times – never with the same combination of guys, flashing strobe lights creating a camera shot effect – then made her way to collect her bag and a hug from Diane. They chatted for a few minutes before Jen left her with a few crew members and walked over to the couches JC had pointed out earlier, sending a friendly smile to the staging guys working to assemble a bed further on down the warehouse. With a quick glance toward the direction of filming, she was satisfied that she’d still be able to see what was going on and made herself comfortable on the soft furniture.

A shadow fell over her as she was reaching into her bag for her journal, and she looked up to find Sara standing over her. “Hi.” Jen abandoned the book with a smile, hoping to soften the girl with a nicer introduction. “I’m Jen.”

“I know.” Stone-faced, Sara dropped down on the cushions next to her, making no secret of how she was sizing Jen up. “Sara.”

“Nice to meet you, Sara.” Hiding her discomfort, Jen tried to start a conversation. “Have you worked with the guys long?”

“Johnny brought me on back in August, when they were recording the first single.” The blonde blinked at her, as if trying to decide if she were worth the effort. “I manage their calendar, arrange their transportation and lodging … you know, make sure things run smoothly.”

“An important job. I’m sure they appreciate all you do.”

“They do.” Blue eyes looked her over once again. “More than you probably think.”

“O-okay.” Jen’s brow wrinkled a bit in confusion, her gaze skipping over to where the staging crew had gathered behind the couch. “Is there something I can do for you?”

“At first, I thought you might be a little sister, because you look really young, but you don’t resemble any of them at all.” Sara tossed her hair over her shoulder. “So now I’m just wondering which one you’re with.” One eyebrow arched questioningly. “Or are you equal opportunity?”

“I … I …” For a second, Jen thought she might have misunderstood her, but then she heard a choked sound from the crew nearby. “Excuse me?”

“Are you a bed warmer for one guy in particular, or do they pass you around?” Sara’s expression didn’t begin to hide that she thought Jen might be slow. “From their reactions when you got here, I figured they probably shared you, but then I thought you might have at least a little bit of sense to stick to the ones that are of age.”

“I’m sorry. What?”

“You don’t really have the classy look of somebody they’d pay for. In fact, you don’t look like something anyone would pay for. Are you working off a debt to Lou or something?” That icy glare moved over Jen once again, making her skin crawl with a dirty feeling. “Johnny won’t go for that, you know. He tries his best to run a clean ship.” There was a silence between them as Jen simply stared at her, her tired mind trying to decide how to react, and a smirk settled on Sara’s features. “Do you want me to call you a cab, sweetie? I highly doubt your services are going to be needed during this shoot. Even if it’s just for the hotel rooms, they expect someone who’s a little easier on the eyes.”

Across the room, one of the staging crew stopped beside Diane, leaning down so that he could lower his voice. “You might want to rescue your girl.”

“What?” Diane looked at him, then glanced in the direction he was nodding, her eyes widening when she saw Jen and Sara sharing a sofa closer to the filming area. “What’s going on?”

“Blondie over there just asked her if she was the group prostitute, then offered to call her a cab because she didn’t think she was classy enough to be paid.”

“Oh, God.” Jumping to her feet, Diane fairly ran toward the girls, her pace only slowing to keep from drawing the attention of the group dancing in front of the camera. Once she was close enough, she called out. “Jen?”

“Yeah?” The response was uncharacteristically clipped, and Diane couldn’t tell if she was about to burst into tears or start ripping out Sara’s hair.

“Jenny, honey, why don’t you come with me to get a snack?” Sending a sharp look toward Sara, Diane reached out to touch Jen’s arm. “We haven’t gotten to talk in weeks, and I’d like to catch up. Lance was showing me the new single earlier …” As Jen stood, Diane leaned in closer and whispered. “Do not leave your bag here. Bring it with you.”

“That sounds great, Diane. I’d like that.” Bending down, she picked up her bag, then turned back toward Sara. “Nice talk, Sara. Let’s not do it again.”

“You run along, sweetie.” Sara slid over to the spot Jen had just vacated and settled further into the cushions, a satisfied smile crossing her face as her eyes shot icy daggers at the small brunette. Her shoulders shrugged dismissively, her attention turning to where the guys were dancing. “I’ll keep an eye on him … them and you just make yourself scarce. You’re not needed here.”

“Start walking, Jen. Don’t look back.” Diane’s hand tightened around Jen’s arm, steering her away from the couch and toward the opposite side of the warehouse. “I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention and she got away from me.”

“What … what was that?” Wide brown eyes looked to the older woman, weary confusion evident in her gaze. “Does she do that to everybody? Or is it just me?”

“Oh, she’s a perfect angel when Johnny’s around.” With a sigh, Diane led her to a chair and let her drop into it. “The rest of us … well, let’s just say that Lynn isn’t here because she refuses to be anywhere near her unless we’re traveling. And she had poor Janine in tears when she came over to see us last fall. At least, until Joey made it clear that his sister wasn’t to be messed with.”

“So she really just told me to stay away from Josh?”

“Afraid so, honey. She’s been after him since she joined the crew.”

“But … does he …”

“Even if he could see past you to anyone else, he’d never give her the time of day.” Sitting down next to her, Diane’s hand covered Jen’s. “I promise, Jenny. He’s only civil to her because he has to be. None of them have any use for her other than what she’s hired to do. Even then, they barely tolerate her.”

“Then why is she still here? I can’t imagine Johnny would …”

“Johnny gave her the job, and those boys aren’t about to rock the boat.” She shrugged, shaking her head. “They’ll do anything to keep this thing going, even if it means putting up with the daughter of Satan on a daily basis.” Forcing a smile, Diane gestured toward where the food was set up. “I was actually serious about the snack and chat, but I can tell you’re worn out.”

“I’m running on fumes. Between the pieces I’m trying to finish, my lessons and volunteering at the Center, prepping for the new semester and now the Grammy stuff, I’ve been pulling long hours since Christmas. I probably shouldn’t have come down, but I just …” Her eyes skipped over to where JC was running through the routine again. “I needed to be here. This morning was an exceptionally early start on not nearly enough sleep.” Casting a longing glance toward the couches she’d just fled, Jen cleared her throat. “If I’d had a little more time before the harpy invaded, I would’ve been pretty much unconscious.”

“Give me a few minutes, and I’ll try to work something out.” Another member of the staging crew paused on his way around their table and leaned into their conversation. “Do you want to be able to see the filming?”

“That would be awesome.” She sent him a grateful smile. “Are you sure you don’t mind?”

“They brought in too much furniture for this shoot, so we’re having to move some of it anyway.” He chuckled under his breath. “We’ve not had the best of experiences with her, either, so it’ll be my pleasure to ruffle Blondie’s feathers a bit.” Pointing in the direction of where they’d been setting up the bed, he nodded. “They’re not using that area until later this evening, so I’m going to move one of the larger couches over there. By the time you grab something to eat, we’ll have you ready to go.” Looking to Diane, his brow arched. “You’ll probably want to stick with her. It might keep the Ice Queen from trying anything else.”

“Thank you so much.” Diane stood and motioned for Jen to do the same. “It’s just a little after nine, so they still have breakfast set out. Let’s go see if there are any muffins left and we’ll get you situated, okay?”

“Sounds fabulous.”

True to his word, by the time she’d finished a muffin, drained a cup of orange juice and picked up a bottle of water, the staging crew had completely rearranged the area where she’d been before and one of the crew members was tossing a few pillows on the promised couch that was now placed at the foot of the bed. As the ladies approached, he sent them a wink and walked away, leaving them to get comfortable.

Dropping her bag to the floor and slipping off her shoes, Jen grabbed a pillow and curled up against the armrest, sighing in relief as she settled in. “This is heaven.”

With a laugh, Diane sat down on the other end and reached out to pat the girl’s leg. “Get some rest, honey. I’ll make sure she doesn’t get to you again.”

“Thanks.” Blinking sleepily, she pressed her cheek into the pillow, focusing on JC dancing in front of the cameras. A small smile lifted her lips and she felt her breathing deepen, darkness coming over her as she fell asleep.

About an hour later, there was a break to reset for a different type of shot and the guys all headed in various directions. JC went directly toward the couch, noticing that it had been moved from earlier, a grin brightening his expression as he saw how relaxed Jen was. “Hey, Diane.”

“Hey, Jace. It’s looking good.” Standing up, she stretched her arms over her head. “This isn’t lunch, is it?”

“No, they’re just resetting for the next shots. We’ve got about twenty minutes to rest and lunch will be in a few hours.”

“All right. Are you okay to stay with her for a little while? I need to visit the little girls’ room.”

“Yeah, I’ll be here.” He glanced down at Jen, then back up to Diane. “Why? Is she okay?”

“I lost track of Sara earlier and … I’m sorry.” The older woman shook her head in frustration. “She got to her. By the time I was able to run interference, it was too late.”

“Damn it.” The smile dropped from his face. Crouching next to the couch, he let his fingers run through Jen’s hair. “How bad was it?”

“I couldn’t tell. The poor girl was so exhausted, I don’t think she really knew how to react.” Diane looked around, making sure Sara wasn’t close. “One of the staging crew had to come get me. Apparently, the witch implied that Jen was the group prostitute, and a sad excuse for one, at that.”

“That piece of …” He growled under his breath. “I’ll take care of it.”

“Please do. I’ll be back soon.”

As she walked away, he stood up, then leaned down close to Jen’s ear. “Jenny?”

“Hmmm?” With a deep breath, she stirred slightly.

“Sit up for a second, Boof. I’m gonna hang with you for a little bit.”

Her eyes never opened as she sluggishly tried to sit up, and he let out a laugh, reaching around her and picking her up so that he could settle on the couch with her in his lap. She automatically snuggled into his chest, one arm looping around his neck as her breathing steadied. He tilted his chin down, pressing a kiss to the side of her head and beginning to rock slightly from side to side. When Sara entered the edge of his vision, approaching them quickly, he tightened his arms around Jen, pulling her even closer to him.

“Hey, Jace, do you need …”

“No.” He cut her off, not even sparing her a glance.

“But, I just …”

“Back off, Sara.” His tone was hard, slicing through the air. “Now.”

Okay.” She let out an exasperated huff. “What’s got you so pissy?”

“You really have to ask?” Stormy blue eyes came up to her, and his anger was evident. “We all know you’re a bitch on the highest level, but Jen is off limits. Leave her alone.”

“My God.” A trilling laugh bounced around the warehouse, and the rumble of voices from the crew went silent as all attention was drawn to them. “She’s gonna be gone in a few days, Jace. She’s not even a blip. It’s not like she matters.”

“She matters far more than you ever will.” He looked down when Jen stiffened against him and let his fingers comb into her hair to comfort her. “Jenny has been a part of this family since the beginning, and you’ll treat her as if she’s one of us, or you won’t be around her at all. Yes, she’s only here for a few days … this time. She will be around in the future, and whenever she’s with me, she’ll feel welcome, or we’ll remove you from the equation completely. Do you understand me?”

“Whatever.” Sara shrugged indifferently, shaking her head as she began to mumble. “Little tramp isn’t worth …”

“Excuse me?” If possible, his voice became even more sharp, carrying clearly around the entire building, and Sara’s eyes widened. “Do you want to finish that a little louder, where we can all hear you?” There was a shifting sound, Chris emerging from the crowd around the hospitality area and coming their direction with a few bottles of water, his brow furrowing when he saw the deadly fury blazing a deep red across JC’s face. “If you want to have any chance in hell of keeping this job, then you’ll listen to me very closely. You will never refer to her as a tramp or imply that she’s a prostitute ever again. She’s mine, and you will show her respect. Pull back the bitchiness or consider yourself gone.” The fire snapping in his gaze would’ve burned her alive if he’d had the power. “Is that clear, Sara? Or do I need to dumb it down for you?”

“Johnny wouldn’t …” For the first time, there was a hesitation in the blonde’s expression. “You can’t …”

“Try us.” Chris came upon them and dropped the bottles on the cushions before facing her and crossing his arms. “Johnny probably wouldn’t have given us a chance in the first place if it wasn’t for Gracie. He holds her in fairly high regard, so I’d bet that he wouldn’t take too kindly to one of his staff using terms like tramp and prostitute to describe her.  The odds of him giving up a good relationship with a musical goldmine just to keep on a bitchy little assistant probably don’t fall in your favor.” Tilting his head, he grinned when Sara swallowed nervously. “Jenny tries to keep things lowkey, so most people don’t realize who she is. Not only did she write the current number one song on the Billboard chart, she wrote the longest-running Billboard number one of all time and she’s the youngest Song of the Year nominee in Grammy history. Not to mention that she spoils Johnny with the best peanut butter bars on the planet.” Glancing to the side, he took in JC’s unusually hostile expression. “There’s really no reason for you to be here. It’s not like you’re doing anything other than pissing people off. If I were you, I’d take a long walk and keep my head down for a little while.”

It was so quiet as Sara turned and walked away that everyone could hear her sneakers scraping against the warehouse floor, then the squeaking of the door hinges as she pushed her way outside. The slamming of the door behind her was a trigger, setting off the activity of the video shoot as if there hadn’t been an interruption. Crew members turned back to working on getting the cameras reset, moving around the rigging so that the angles would be different. The makeup artist had Lance in her chair, touching up his forehead as the hairdresser quickly worked on his hair.

“Well, that was exciting.” Plopping down on the couch, Chris reached for a bottle of water. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” Taking deep breaths, JC closed his eyes and tilted his head down, his lips moving against Jen’s hair. “I’m all right.”

“How’s it possible that she slept through all that?” Dark eyes twinkled with humor, taking in her peaceful face. “You were practically screaming right next to her ear.”

“She’s just like me. Normally a light sleeper, but once she hits the wall, she’s out.” With a self-deprecating grin, he straightened up a bit. “I could tell she was wearing herself out when I talked to her the other day, and I almost told her that it would be okay if she didn’t make the trip. But I was selfish because I really wanted to see her before we left.” His arms tightened around her. “I don’t care if she sleeps the entire time she’s here. She’s where I can keep an eye on her – at least for a few days – and that’s all I needed.”

“It’s okay, Jace. Her world is starting to go a little crazy, so I’m pretty sure you’re what she needs right now, too.” Clearing his throat, Chris arched an eyebrow. “For a guy who’s so dead-set against putting names on anything, mine is a really strong label to be throwing around.”

“I know. It just kind of slipped out.” JC chuckled quietly, one hand beginning to rub slow circles on Jen’s back. “My brain decided to take the back seat for a little while.”

“Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing if your brain stayed in the back seat.” He offered a bottle of water, only to set it back down when JC shook his head. “You know she’s just waiting for you to give the word, right? All you have to do is say it and she’d be all in.”

“You have no idea how badly I want to.” Sighing deeply, he shifted her against him. “But I know how she is. When she’s in, she’s in one hundred percent, and I won’t be something that distracts her from what she’s doing here.” Blue eyes met brown. “She’s always talked about getting her degree and doing something amazing with her life. If I go ahead and make us more, her focus will be divided, and she might decide to step away from things for me. I’m not gonna let her do that.”

“So you just keep letting her wait?”

“She’s not the only one waiting, you know. But if that’s what she wants, then yes.” He looked down when she tightened her arm around his neck, humming softly into his chest before settling again. “If nothing changes, she knows that once she graduates, I’m coming after her. And when I do, she’s gonna have a hard time getting away from me. On the flip side, she also knows that if she finds someone else who’ll make her happier, then she’s free to move on.”

“Sure.” Chris snorted back a laugh. “Right.”

“Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for.” A smile lifted JC’s features, the angry redness from minutes before fading away. “I’m really hoping I end up being the best thing in her world. But first, I want her to experience everything she can while I’m out of pocket.”

“That’s a good way to look at it. But you’re already the best thing in her world. If you weren’t, I don’t think she would’ve left home before the crack of dawn and driven four hours just to sit on a couch and watch you do the same dance routine over and over for days.”

“She didn’t drive that far to watch him dance.” Diane spoke up as she propped her hip against the arm rest of the couch, a small bottle of juice in her hand. “She came so she could be with him before he left again.” With a smile, she nodded toward the girl in JC’s arms. “That’s love, boys. Not just for Jace, but for all of you, in one way or another.” They all looked up when the director began calling everyone back to their places. “That’s you. I know Sara’s gone for now, but I’m still going to stay here with her.”

“Thanks.” JC grinned toward her as he stood, lifting Jen with him. Leaning over, he laid her back on the soft cushions, reaching for the pillow so he could wrap her arm around it instead of his neck. Making sure she was comfortable, he kissed the top of her head and straightened his clothes, bending down to grab a bottle of water, draining half of it on his way back to set.

*********************

By the time they were given a lunch break, Jen was upright and alert, even if still a little weary. Hugging her pillow to her chest, she smiled as JC headed her direction, then continued her conversation. “Well, I don’t know, Mac. At this point, I’m not exactly a popular face. How many seats are they giving me?” Swinging her feet to the ground, her hand patted the cushion next to her so he’d sit down. “Five? Wow. Okay, so Mom and Maggie, definitely. And you.” Her tone turned warning. “And don’t you dare think of yourself as a seat filler. You’re family.” Lowering the mouthpiece to her shoulder, she gave JC an impish grin. “How about you? Want to come to the Grammys next month?”

“You know I’d love to, Boof, but I just can’t this time.” His arm went around her shoulders, pulling her into his side as he let his chin rest on the top of her head. “We’ll have to shoot for next year.”

“I knew you’d say that, but I wanted to ask anyway. Next year it is.” Jen smiled, stretching up to kiss his cheek before putting the phone back to her ear. “That makes four. How about we count Brian? He’s been so good to me, and I’m sure he’d like to mingle with the Clapton crowd.” She went silent, listening as Mac gave her instructions. “All right. I’ll call Maggie after lunch and get her to talk to him. I’ll have a definite answer for you by four. Will that work?” Shifting with a sigh, she pressed into JC until she could lean her head against his chest. “Sure. Wait, what was that about clothes? Seriously? It has to be designer? You know I’d much rather just look in the shops around Orlando until I find something formal, right?” A groan escaped and she closed her eyes. “Okay, okay. You win. We’ll book the flight for a few days early and look for something in New York. Yes, off the rack. I don’t care what Mom says, I’m not about to pay a fortune for a few yards of fabric that I’ll probably wear once just because it’s got some man’s name not attached by a tag. Especially when we aren’t even doing the red carpet. Thank God.”

JC snorted in laughter, his fingers squeezing her shoulder when she rolled her eyes at him.

“I’m fine. That was Josh, choking on his tongue. Oh … okay.” Her brows rose in surprise, then she held the phone out to him. “He wants to talk to you.”

“Really?” Startled, he took the phone, bringing it up to his ear. “Hello?”

“Ah, the infamous Josh. Or is it JC?”

“Nowadays, it’s mostly JC. Or Jace, if you prefer.” He let out a quick laugh. “Jenny kind of gets special treatment.”

“That’s something you and I have in common, apparently.” Humor was evident in Mac’s tone. “But she and I seem to be having a difference of opinion.”

“I can tell, but I’m not going to be much help, Mac.” Hugging her to him, he smiled when her arm wrapped around his waist. “I think she looks fantastic in pajama pants and a T-shirt, so the dress doesn’t matter to me. Plus, she’s probably the only girl you’ll find who’s actually excited that she doesn’t have to do the red carpet.”

“I was afraid of that.” With a sigh, Mac took a moment to collect his thoughts. “Would she at least agree to shop in the Fashion District?”

“I don’t know, maybe.” Laughing under his breath, he looked to her. “How about if you agree to go shopping in the Fashion District? I’m not sure exactly what that means, but surely you could give the poor guy a break.” Jen narrowed her eyes at him, biting her lip. “Come on, Boof. It’s your first Grammys. Even if you aren’t walking the carpet, don’t you want to look fabulous when you’re accepting your award in front of music’s finest?”

“You’re banking on the exceptionally slim chance that I’ll actually win.”

“Okay, how about this?” He lowered his voice. “I can’t go with you, but I’ll definitely be watching. You could always pick something so I know you’re wishing I was there, whether you win or not.”

“I …” Surprisingly, she hesitated, her brow furrowing as she looked at him. “Josh …”

“Please?” Leaning down, he kissed her softly. “For me?”

“Ugh … okay.” Closing her eyes, she shook her head, mumbling under her breath as he grinned triumphantly. “Totally not fair.”

“All right, Mac. You’ve got a winner.” His body shook with quiet laughter. “She’ll do the Fashion District, but don’t be shocked if she still ends up with something off a rack somewhere.”

“At least it’ll be a very trendy something off the rack.” Mac’s voice was satisfied. “And nobody said she could only wear it once. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of events in the future where it’ll be appropriate.”

“That’s true.” Looking down at her, he squeezed his arm around her. “Once she gets in the swing of it, she’ll get excited. I think she’s just worn out right now.”

“I could hear it in her voice.” The older man’s tone took on an almost paternal edge. “She is getting some rest while she’s there, isn’t she? I know she got an early start this morning, but she shouldn’t have much of anything on her plate other than spending time relaxing and watching you film.”

“We’re keeping her comfortable. The napping is totally up to her.” She huffed in exasperation, sending him a mock glare. “By the time you get her back, she should be well-rested and ready to work. Right, Jenny?”

“That’s right.” She reached up and took the phone from him. “And that’s enough worrying about me. They just broke for lunch, so I’ll call you back later, okay?” For a second, she listened, then smiled, her gaze jumping back to JC’s face. “Uh huh. I hear you. Yeah, me, too. Okay, bye.”

“I like him.” JC watched as she ended the call and flipped the phone closed. “He’s obviously looking out for you.”

“Well, he likes you, too. He just threatened to drop me as a client if I ever let you get away.” Her hand patted his thigh, then she leaned forward to drop the phone into her bag and reach down for her shoes. “I’m starving, so I’m sure you’re hungry. Ready to eat?”

“Yep. I was just making sure you were okay before heading that way.” He stood, matching her pace as they walked slowly toward where lunch was being served. “I’m sorry about earlier. Sara’s not exactly our favorite person on the crew.”

“She’s a real piece of work, huh?” Jen laughed under her breath. “As extreme as she was, I don’t guess I can hold it against her. She was just defending her territory.”

“Her territory, huh?” Arching a brow at her, he draped his arm across her shoulders. “Exactly what would her territory be?”

“If looks could kill, she’d have had me buried ten times over, so I’d guess she’s decided to claim you, lover boy.”

“And that will never happen.” He came to a sudden stop, pulling her to a halt and turning to face her. “You know you don’t have to worry about her, right?”

“With her winning personality? I’m not exactly shaking in my boots.” She shrugged light-heartedly, smiling up at him. “She is really pretty though, Josh. And accessible. I wouldn’t blame you if …”

“She’s nothing compared to you.” Tugging her into a hug, he shook his head in frustration. “How can you not see … Joey doesn’t call you Hot Stuff for nothing, you know.”

“As much as I love him, Joe Bear doesn’t really have the highest of standards.” A laugh escaped into his chest. “It’s okay, I promise. I have other strong points to make up for it.”

“One of these days, you’re going to see yourself the way I see you.” She felt him leaning down closer to her ear. “I’ll make sure of it.”

“Whatever you say.” Pulling away, she began walking again, joining the end of the line for what appeared to be deli sandwiches. “One question though. Sara said that she handles your schedule and the details. Does that include guests, too?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“I got my trip booked for May and I’m not too into the idea of having to work everything out with her.”

“Really?” His eyes lit up and he couldn’t help his grin. “Don’t worry about it. E-mail me your details and I’ll take care of it. When are you coming out?”

“I’ll be flying out late on the 18th, landing in Stockholm the afternoon of the 19th, then staying for three weeks. If you check your calendar and I need to fly in somewhere else, just let me know. Tessa set me up with an awesome travel agent who should be able to make changes fairly easily.” She picked up two plates, passing one to him before casting a glance his direction. “Think you guys can put up with me that long?”

“Are you kidding?” He wrapped an arm around her, pulling her back against his chest. “You could stay all summer and it wouldn’t be long enough.”

“Good answer.” She laughed, leaning into him. “Very good answer.”

----------------------------------------

February 28, 1997

JC looked up when he heard someone coming down the stairs, grinning when Joey came into the living room, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. “Hey, Joe. Is the TV too loud?”

“No, I just woke up and remembered why you were down here.” Scratching his stomach, Joey yawned and plopped down on the couch. “Tonight’s the night, huh?”

“Yeah. I’m just hoping I’ve got the right channel.” He reached out and picked up the remote, raising the volume just a tad. “A live broadcast from the U.S. is kind of hard to find at two in the morning.”

“The Grammys are pretty much a world-wide thing. I’m sure it’s on there somewhere.” Chris shuffled into the room, his fingers combing through disheveled hair. “You should probably be more concerned that they leave it in English.”

“It’s live. I figure they can’t really dub over it that fast.” A commercial ended and the familiar ceremony graphics began flashing across the screen, Swedish subtitles scrolling rapidly across the bottom. “Or they could just do that.” Settling back into the cushions, he looked between the guys on either side of him. “You guys don’t have to stay up with me. We’ve got a big day tomorrow.”

“Hey, we can sleep on the plane, too.” Justin spoke up as he and Lance came through the door, each taking one of the recliners. “We want to see Jenny’s big debut. Did they talk her into performing with them?”

“Not even Eric Clapton could get her up on that stage.” JC laughed, shaking his head. “She said they were respectful of her decision, especially after she reminded them that he and Babyface were the ones nominated for Male Pop Vocal and Record of the Year and she wanted them to have that recognition.” Fighting back a yawn, he stretched out his legs. “They’re supposed to be sitting right behind Clapton’s group, though. If we see him, we should be able to find her.”

“You mean like that?” Joey gestured toward the screen, where she was perfectly visible, seated on the aisle. He let out a low whistle. “That’s a killer dress, man.”

The strapless gown was fitted across the bodice, and sparkled under the production lights, but it was difficult to tell exactly what color it was. What drew JC’s attention were her gleaming accessories: his necklace and bracelet, shining brightly as the camera panned back over the audience until she was no longer on the screen. Biting back a smile, he glanced over when Lance let out a deep yawn. “We may have to take shifts. Three hours is a long time, and I’m pretty sure hers will be one of the very last categories.”

“Don’t worry, Jace. We won’t let you miss her.” Pushing up from the couch, Chris headed for the kitchen. “I think we’re gonna need some coffee, though.”

“You don’t drink coffee.”

At that moment, Ellen DeGeneres launched into her opening number, leaving them all in silence as Chris chuckled, stepping out of the room. “If that’s a sign of things to come, then I drink it tonight.”

It was a good call, and by the time they were getting to the biggest awards of the night, they’d gone through nearly three pots.

“Okay, here we go.” Justin sat forward, resting his arms on his knees as he focused on the television. “This is her.”

They all imitated his position, leaning toward the television, intently watching as the nominees were announced. JC grinned when they zoomed in on Jen for her announcement, her smile genuine, but he could see the nerves in her eyes.

“And the Song of the Year Grammy goes to …” The dramatic pause seemed to go on forever, before the presenter finally read the card. “Jennifer Lawson for Change the World.”

The group around him jumped to their feet, cheering, just as the people around her stood, applauding her victory. That’s my girl. JC smiled as he watched her slowly rise from her seat, a dazed look on her face as she turned into Lisa’s tight hug, then reached out to grasp Mac’s arm, a trembling smile lifting her lips. She took a deep breath, then moved into the aisle, only to be stopped after two steps by Eric Clapton putting a hand on her shoulder, pulling her close to lean down and say something in her ear.

Whatever he said was exactly what she needed to hear, because she rewarded him with a bright grin, said “Thank you” and gave him a quick hug before pulling away to head for the stage, pausing only when Celine Dion reached out and grabbed her hand, giving her a big nod and a thumbs up. As one of the ushers helped her up the stairs in the long gown, the stage lights reflected off the glittering fabric, finally revealing the vibrant blue color that flowed around her legs like water. It swirled as she moved across the stage, accepting the trophy from the presenters and turning to face the arena, humor entering her expression when she had to look up at the microphone, laughter flowing across the audience as she waited for them to lower it to her level.

“I may be little, but I am fierce.” She laughed with the crowd before taking a steadying breath. “This is definitely unexpected, and I’m so unprepared, it’s not even funny.” Both of her hands gripped the base of the Grammy, supporting its weight. “This has been such a crazy year, and there’s so much to say, but it seems they like to keep these things short, so if I forget someone, please forgive me. Mom, thank you for everything. I love you.” Swallowing thickly, her eyes turned upward. “Daddy, I hope you’re proud. I miss you.” She lowered her gaze back to the room. “Josh, I wish you were here. Thanks for always having my back, for having faith in me even when I don’t, and for making me smile when I don’t feel like it. Now it’s your turn. Show them what you’ve got, and I’ll see you soon. Mac, none of this would’ve been possible without you. Thank you so much for taking such good care of me. Professor Summers, thank you for seeing something special in me. Maggie, Brian and the rest of my Orlando family, thanks for helping me create a place to call home.” Looking down at the gleaming trophy, she laughed under her breath. “Thanks to the Funky Bunch for having confidence when I lose it, hugs when I need them and for keeping me laughing.”

Clearing her throat, she raised her head. “Mr. Clapton, it was an honor to meet you tonight, but to have you take my little song and breathe life into it is a dream come true. I can’t imagine that it could’ve been better.” She paused as there was a wave of applause, the camera cutting away briefly to show Eric nodding at her with a smile. “I was seventeen when I wrote the lyrics for Change the World, and it took a year for me to finally decide that I was happy with the arrangement. If I could possibly end this with an inspirational thought, it would be this: We are never too young, and we are never too old. But we must be driven, because it’s up to us to do the work that makes our dreams a reality.” A deep breath lifted her shoulders as her fingers came up to play with the heart pendant around her neck, bringing it to her lips quickly before dropping it back against her skin and sending a bright grin toward the cameras, raising the trophy as high as she could. “Thank you so much.”

“Now that was a shout-out.” Joey dropped back down on the couch as she followed the presenters off stage, his elbow nudging JC in the side playfully. “We should leave her a message for when she finally gets to break away.”

“You guys go ahead.” JC smiled as Lance reached for the phone. “I’ll leave my own after you’re done.”

Their abundance of coffee was obvious as the four of them left her a long – and hilarious – voicemail, all of them chiming in with their own version of congratulations, sometimes trying to talk over each other. JC held back his laughter as they decided to wind it down with a very harmonious goodbye before ending the call. “You’re all nuts.”

“Yeah, but she loves us anyway.” Lance winked as he handed him the phone, then passed a look over the others as he strode out of the room. “I think I’m gonna turn in for at least a few hours before we hit the road.” The hint was obvious, and they followed him toward the stairs, Chris casting a knowing glance toward JC before grinning and pushing Justin out the door.

Shaking his head, JC laughed quietly as he dialed her number, sitting back against the cushions as he waited for the indicated tone. “The Funky Bunch got their turn, so now it’s mine. Congratulations, Jenny. You deserve it. I wish I could’ve been there with you, but you can totally look forward to a little celebration when you come out in May. The next three months had better go by fast, because I can’t wait to see you. Until then, hug Coda really tight and give that necklace another kiss for me.” He felt humor lighten his tone. “We’ll definitely have to find somewhere to go so you can wear that dress again. You look gorgeous in blue, and I’d love to see you in it, knowing you’re wearing it just for me.” Clearing his throat, he leaned his head back and closed his eyes. “I can’t believe my girl just won her first Grammy. The first of many, I can feel it. I’m so proud of you, Boof. Soak it all in and enjoy your night. We hit the road in a few hours for the tour, but I’ll call again as soon as I’m able. Talk to you soon.”

His thumb cut the connection before the next words could roll off his tongue.

“I love you.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers mmcera debutsync presync jc justin joey chris college lance eurosync