May 19, 1997

Jen couldn’t help laughing when she saw the mountain of a black man waiting in the arrivals area of the airport, looking bored as he held a sign printed with her name in black. As she came closer, she saw that not only was 'Jenny' in bold marker on his poster, but the guys had all written their nicknames for her around it in various colors. The rest of the space was filled with sparkly stickers, smiley faces and other silly little pictures. Shaking her head and adjusting her oversized backpack, she carefully pulled her blue carry-on bag and picked up her pace, determined to put the poor guy out of his misery.

“Hi. I think you’re looking for me.” Flashing back quickly to another airport a long time ago, she tilted her head back to see his arched brow and gave him a tired smile. “I’m so sorry you’re having to hold that. Have you been waiting long?”

“Jenny?” The surprise was evident in his tone. “Jen Lawson?”

“In the flesh.” Her nose wrinkled as she sighed. “I’m sorry. They didn’t tell me who I was meeting.”

“First, tell me who calls you what.” His big fingers tapped on the edges of his sign. “Just so I can be sure.”

She let her eyes move over the board, laughing at the scrawled names as she identified each one, then arched an eyebrow at him. “They swapped nicknames before they wrote them. Who wrote what?” She bit her lip to keep from grinning. “Just so I can be sure.”

“Jace told me you’d ask that. To be honest, I can’t make out half of what any of them write, so I wouldn’t be able to say for sure.” He let out a booming laugh. “I’ve seen a few pictures, Jenny, but they don’t do you justice. I’m Lonnie, your boy’s keeper.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Lonnie.” Beginning to move forward, she hesitated. “Are you a hugger? Or should I keep my distance?”

“I …” Surprised again, he started, looking down at the girl who wasn’t even tall enough to reach his chest. Her smile was impish, giving her a child-like expression and he couldn’t keep from propping the sign against her bag and opening his arms. “Bring it in, kid.”

The smile became a grin as she stepped into his arms and sighed, barely able to reach around him. “Thanks. It’s been a really long day.”

“No problem. Just … never tell those guys I was hugging you in the airport. They’d never listen to me again.”

“I won’t say a word. I promise.” She laughed, stepping away from him and claiming her bag again. “I had to check two bags, so we’ll need to grab those before we can go.”

“Sure thing. It’s down this way.”

Moving down the large hallway, they veered to the right and rounded a corner into the baggage claim area. They had perfect timing, both of her bags floating around the carousel minutes after they arrived. Once the bags were on the ground, she let her backpack swing around so that she could unlock the zippers. “Can I go ahead and give you something?”

“Yeah, sure.” Lonnie eyed her curiously as she pulled out a sturdy gift bag and held it out to him. “What’s this?”

“I asked Lynn to make sure how many were on your team. There’s a gift for each of you.” Smiling up at him, she straightened the pack again and grasped the handles of the two smaller rolling bags. “Just a little 'thank you' for taking care of my guys.”

“Well, thanks.” Reaching for the largest bag, he began leading the way toward the exit. “We’re just doing our jobs.”

“No one simply works with the Funky Bunch. You become family.” She sped up to keep up with his large strides. “Did they really send you out by yourself to pick me up?”

“Not exactly.” As they crossed the parking lot, he looked down at the bag he was pulling behind him. “This thing’s kinda heavy. I know ladies pack more than men, but did you bring the kitchen sink with you?”

“Nope. That would be the treat bag.”

“The treat bag?” He arched a brow at her. “What’s the treat bag?”

“You’ll see when they open it.” Shaking her head, she sighed. “I’m pretty sure they’d have me sleeping on the street if I’d left it at home.”

“Okay then.” He stopped behind a black van, tapping on the tinted window of the rear doors. “This is us. Bags in the back, then you’re in the middle.”

Not giving it a thought, she helped him load the bags – keeping her backpack – and moved around to the side of the van, reaching for the door handle.

“Hold on a second, Jen.” Lonnie leaned against the van casually, keeping an eye on a family a few cars away, two teenage girls laughing as they pulled bags from their trunk. “Did you have a good flight?”

“I suppose. The first flight was overnight, so I got to sleep a little.” Glancing toward the family as they began walking toward the airport, she turned her attention back to the man beside her, giving him an odd look. “It makes me nervous to travel alone, so I don’t usually get a lot of rest. I’d rather have a buddy with me, but it is what it is.”

“That’s cool.” Once the girls were far beyond hearing distance, he focused back on her. “Sorry. Teen girls tend to go a little crazy.”

“It’s okay.” Her brow furrowed in confusion. “Crazy over what?”

“This guy.” He reached out and slid the door open for her, revealing JC sitting on the far side of the bench seat. “He’s a bit of a crowd pleaser.”

“There’s my girl.” JC smiled, already sliding toward her on the seat. “Hey, Boof.”

She didn’t say a word, just grinned brightly and scrambled up into the van and into his arms. Hugging him tightly around the neck, she closed her eyes and buried her face in his shoulder, breathing deeply to take in the scent of his cologne. His fingers worked their way into her hair, and she sighed against him. “I’ve missed you, Josh.”

“I’ve missed you, too, but let’s get this backpack out of the way so I can really hug you, okay?” He kissed her forehead, then pulled away with a laugh, his hands coming down to work on the straps of the pack. “This thing’s almost as big as you are. How were you standing up straight?”

“Very carefully.” Her brow arched as she let the bag slide down her arms and fall to the floor of the van, immediately leaning back into him.

“See? Much better.” Wrapping his arms tightly around her, he lifted her onto his lap, smiling when she curled into his chest and relaxed against him. Leaning down, he kissed the side of her head, then pressed his cheek against her hair. Unconsciously, he began rocking back and forth, his breath tickling her ear as he spoke softly. “I can’t believe you’re finally here.”

Neither of them reacted when Lonnie closed the door, the van lurching as he got into the passenger side front seat. Looking over his shoulder at the pair behind him, he began to grin before turning to his partner behind the steering wheel. “Well, Kenny … this is Jen Lawson.”

“This little fairy is what all the fuss is about?” Kenny’s eyes widened as he took a good look in the rearview mirror. “I expected her to be … I don’t know. Definitely taller.” He laughed quietly as he put the van in reverse. “She kind of sparkles, doesn’t she? Looks like a dark-haired Tinkerbell.”

“Tink. I like it.” Lonnie nodded to himself with a smile. “It fits. That’ll be her code on the radio.”

“She gets a radio code?” Brows rose sharply as Kenny glanced his way, then pulled into traffic. “Is she going to be around that much?”

“All I know is all five of our guys have declared her precious cargo, so she gets the royal treatment.” Taking another look at JC and Jen, he furrowed his brow. “We’ll have to sit him down and get the full picture. I swear I’ve seen her somewhere before.”

Completely unaware of the conversation in the front seat, Jen let the fingers of one hand comb through his hair, her fingertips scratching lightly against his skin. Looking up, her eyes met his and she returned his smile, then stretched to kiss his cheek. Her voice was soft as she leaned closer to him. “I couldn’t wait to get here.”

“You’re all we’ve been talking about for days.” One of his hands came to her face, his gaze bouncing over her features until he focused on her mouth. Running his thumb over her lips, he lowered his voice to a whisper and let his forehead rest against hers. “Has anything changed for you?”

Brown eyes sparkled with her grin. “Not at all.”

“Good.” Taking a deep breath, he leaned into her, his lips covering hers for a kiss that felt so good, she wanted to cry. When she pressed further into him, he tightened his arm around her, allowing no space between them as his mouth caught hers again. He felt her sigh against him, and his heart skipped a few beats when she took charge for a few more kisses.

“Ahem.” Lonnie cleared his throat loudly from the front seat, not bothering to try hiding his grin. “Look alive, kids. Another few minutes and we’ll be home.”

Jen backed away a few inches, her eyes widening as she remembered where they were. JC laughed when her cheeks began to burn a bright red and she groaned, hiding her face against his chest. “Sorry, guys. I’m not really into PDA …” Suddenly, she sat up straight, her face still pink as she turned to look at Lonnie. “Actually, no, I’m not sorry. I haven’t seen him since January, and I forgot where I was. Get over it.”

“And Tink’s had her first twinkle fit.” Lonnie choked out before both he and Kenny burst into laughter as the van pulled into a driveway and parked. “It doesn’t matter, Jenny. You’ll just have to get used to one of us always being around. Eventually, you won’t even consider us ‘public’. Besides, this guy is ridiculously tame compared to most of the bodies I’ve had to guard. I’ve had his back for nearly six months without even a blip on his radar. It’s about time he got some action.”

“Six months, huh?” Her brows arched in humor as she looked back to JC, who just shrugged with a smile and quickly kissed her lips one last time. “And why did he call me Tink?”

“Are you really surprised? You haven’t exactly been in touching distance. And you do kind of look like Tinkerbell.” She felt his hands on her waist, then he was sliding her off his lap and onto the seat. “Let me grab your bag, then I’ll help you down.” As he stepped over her and hopped out of the van, she saw him licking his lips, laughing quietly as he put on her backpack and reached for her. “Come on, Boof. J’s probably watching the door, just waiting for you to walk in.”

He lifted her from the van, holding her up just long enough to whisper in her ear. “Dr. Pepper, huh? You keep finding new favorites for me. Still doesn’t live up to the chocolate cake, though.” With a wink, he kissed her cheek and set her down, looking back to where Kenny and Lonnie were unloading her bags. “Do you guys need any help?”

“Nope. We’ve got it.” Kenny waved around the door. “Get her on inside. We’ll be right behind you.”

“Please be careful with the blue bag. Special things in that one.” Jen reached into the front seat to pick up the gift bag. “And I’m taking your bag in, Lonnie.”

“Sure thing, kid.”

JC draped an arm across her shoulders as they walked to the front steps. “Is the blue bag the treat bag?”

“Nope.”

“You did remember the treat bag, right?” He fought a grin. “Chris might rebel if he doesn’t get his cookies.”

“Oh, don’t worry.” She laughed. “I definitely brought the treat bag.”

“Then what’s in the blue bag?” Blue eyes focused on her, trying to read her expression. “What did you do?”

“You’ll just have to wait and see.” When they made it to the door, he stepped back, motioning for her to go ahead. “Are you tossing me to the wolves or what?”

Before he could answer, the door flew open and Justin was stepping out, wrapping his arms around her and lifting her off the ground. “Get in here, Shorty. It’s been too long.”

“Hi, J.” With a bright smile, she flung an arm around his neck, her face pressing into his shoulder with the strength of his hug. “I think you’ve gotten even taller, haven’t you?”

“Maybe a little, yeah.”

“Well, stop it.” She laughed against him, just barely getting Lonnie’s bag on the table by the door as Justin carried her through the front hall toward what appeared to be the living room. “Or I really will have to start calling you Jolly Green.”

“Just try it. I know all your weak spots, sis.” He chuckled quietly, kissing the top of her head and putting her down before turning to yell toward the staircase. “Hey guys! Jenny’s in the house!”

A rumble of footsteps came from several different directions above them, all headed for the stairs. Chris was the first one down, grinning widely as he pulled her in for a tight hug. “Good to see you, Gracie. How was the flight?”

“Long, but worth it.” There was a little weariness in her voice as she went on her toes and looped her arms around his neck, but the excitement in her eyes lessened his concern. “If you think last year was incredible, just wait until I tell you what’s been happening the last few weeks. You’re Still the One finally found a home, and she took two other tracks with it.”

“That’s awesome. You can tell us all about it over dinner.” He looked down at her with a smile. “Right now, we’ll get the hellos out of the way and let Jace get you settled in, okay?”

“Sounds great.” She kissed his cheek, then released him as Joey’s arms came around her from behind. “Okay, Joe Bear. Your turn.”

“Damn right, it is.” Laughing, he spun her around and picked her up against his chest. “We’ve missed you, Hot Stuff. And it dings my pride a little bit that my parents can’t stop telling me how they wish they could adopt you.” Leaning in, he lowered his voice. “You know, since neither of their sons is going to be able to snag you.”

“Whatever, Joe.” Shaking her head, she laughed under her breath. “But they kind of already have, I guess. My Family Dinner crowd seems to keep changing, but they’re pretty much always there.”

“Family Dinner?” His brows arched as he kissed the side of her head. “What’s Family Dinner?”

“Every other Friday, I host Family Dinner for anybody who can make it.” Her smile grew as he set her back down. “Maggie and Brian, Adam and whoever he’s dating, your folks and Steve, Matt, Amber and Chloe, Mom and Mac, and Tessa, Shan and their three boys are my regulars. Nick, Sam and Jake, Mark, Janine, and a few others float in and out, depending on whether they have plans.”

“Damn, Jen. Seriously?”

“Yeah. It’s fun. I fix the main dish and desserts, and everybody else just brings whatever sides they’re in the mood for. Your mom always has to take a copy of my recipes for the night home with her, and Big Joe won’t leave until we’ve either played a game of chess or I’ve spent some time on the piano for him.” She laughed again. “And Steve somehow manages to take a plate of leftovers home every time.”

“That’s one of the things I really miss, Girlie.” Lance stepped to her side, his arm going around her shoulders.

“What? Leftovers?” Jen hugged him quickly, then moved back enough to pull at his shirt. “It looks like you need a few, Mississippi.”

“Not leftovers. And I’m eating fine.” He rolled his eyes and she laughed as he pulled her back to him. “The meals were always amazing, but my favorite part was listening to you play and hum or sing while you were working on something. Jace plays on his keyboard all the time, and he’s really good, but it’s just not the same.”

“Well, I’d hope he’s really good.” Her brow arched at him playfully. “I taught him.” Lowering her voice, she spoke softly. “Maybe he’ll let me borrow it once or twice while I’m here. I’ve got some new stuff I’m working on that I’d like you guys to hear.”

“That’d be awesome, Jen.” With a smile, he kissed her cheek. “Can’t wait.”

Jen had made her way over to say hello to Lynn and Diane when she noticed Justin about to drag the largest suitcase toward the stairs. “Hey, J. Not that one.”

“What?” He gave her a confused look and let the heavy bag settle back on the floor. “Jeez, that thing has to weigh nearly as much as Chris.”

“That’s why it’s got wheels, little bro.”

“Okay, well … if you don’t want it upstairs, then where do you want it?”

“Right here.” She went to him with a smile and took the handle, moving it to the middle of the floor and laying it down. Looking up as she removed the lock from the zippers, a wary glance was passed around the room. “No pushing and no fighting. Everybody has their own, and it has your name on it. Get yours, step aside, and I’ll sort out the rest. Understood?”

“Oh, man.” Chris bounced on his toes, drawing an odd look from Lonnie. “The treat bag. Sweet!”

“Just remember to make sure your container is closed when you’re done, or your stuff will dry out before you can finish it.” Taking a deep breath, she unzipped the bag and flipped the top flap open, revealing stacks of sealed rectangular food containers before moving quickly out of the way. “Okay, guys. Have at it.”

“Holy hell.” Lonnie laughed as bodies dove for the middle of the room, intent on being the first to claim their treat. He glanced to where JC was leaning against the wall beside him, watching the brawl with amusement. “You’d think she just opened up Christmas in here. Aren’t you getting in on that?”

“No way.” With a grin, JC shook his head, snickering when Justin came out of the fray first, hugging the plastic container to his chest as if it were a baby. “Jen always takes care of me, so even if she didn’t make me my own, I’m sure there’ll be something left.”

Joey came toward them, slightly rumpled but looking triumphant as he carried his treasure. “She made zeppole. My favorite.” Carefully lifting the lid, he groaned as the scent of the sugary dessert floated up to him. Turning around, he sent her a grin. “Thanks, Hot Stuff! Love you, baby.” As she shook her head and laughed, he took one of the little powdered sugar-coated treats and popped it in his mouth, then offered the bowl to Lonnie and Kenny. “Seriously, guys. You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten something from Jen’s kitchen.”

“Okay, thanks.” Kenny reached in and took one, looking it over before shrugging and popping it in his mouth as Joey had. His brows shot up as he began chewing, the sweet, buttery flavor flooding over his taste buds, the little puff so light that it seemed to just dissolve on his tongue. “My God. She made that?”

“Yep. She’s a whiz with lyrics and magical with a whisk.” Joey narrowed his eyes playfully at JC and nudged him with his elbow. “Lucky dog.”

“You know it.” With a laugh, JC moved across the now empty floor, crouching by the bag to pick out his container before looking up at Jen. “Do you need help with the rest?”

“Sure.” She came over and knelt next to him, sorting out the unlabeled containers. “Diane and Lynn, these are for you. I’m sorry. The guys were around all the time, so I know their favorites. I didn’t know what you’d like, so I just put together a mix for each of you.” A smile formed as the ladies took the plastic bowls. “The next time you’re all at home, I’ll have everybody over. I’ll do better, I promise.”

“Honey, you were feeding a small army of men at least four times a week.” Lynn stepped close to give her a hug. “You didn’t need us adding to it.” Lifting the container to look through it, she hummed. “My Lord, are those fudge brownies?”

“With extra fudge and chocolate chunks.” Jen winked at JC, then reached up to pat his shoulder. “This one likes his chocolate.”

“Really?” Looking through the clear bowl, he saw the fudgy squares stacked tightly against each other. “You’re gonna kill me, Boof.” He groaned, then leaned down to kiss the top of her head. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” She laughed, hugging him around the waist before reaching back into the case, stacking up several other containers before pulling out one larger bowl. “This one is for Johnny. Will we be seeing him at all?”

“Oh, yeah. With the album releasing next week, he’ll definitely be around. We’ll probably meet up with him in Berlin.”

“Okay. I’ll make sure to pack it in when we leave on Wednesday.” Setting Johnny’s bowl to the side, she gestured to the rest. “And these are for the security team.” With his help, she gathered the bowls and delivered them to Lonnie and Kenny. “There’s a mix for each of you. I figured you guys could trade things around until you have what you like.”

The door behind them opened and three more large men came in, waving quickly before opening a door in the hallway and heading to what she assumed was the basement. Kenny joined them, jumping in with the bowls still in his hands. A laugh came from one of the new faces, and Kenny’s voice carried back to them. “No, seriously. You’ve got to try this stuff. She’s like their own personal Betty Crocker.”

Lonnie nodded to the last in line, then picked up his gift bag and turned back to her with a smile. “Thanks, Jen. That was the rest of our team. We need to discuss some things before we head out tonight.” His glance skipped to JC. “The reservations are for eight, so we probably need to be ready to load up in about an hour. Is that doable?”

“Yeah, I think so.” JC looked at Jen. “I know you’ve had a long day, but we wanted to take you out for your first night here. Maybe see some of the lights on the way back. Are you up to it?”

“For food and sightseeing? Absolutely.” She gestured to the jeans, tank top and flannel shirt she was wearing. “I heard 'reservations' … do I need to change? I don’t think I brought anything really dressy.”

“No, you’re perfect.” His arm went around her, pulling her to his side. “You look great. It’s just that anytime we all go out together, we have to call ahead so the restaurant isn’t locked down by how large our group is.”

“Ah. Okay.” Nodding, she glanced at her watch. “So I’ve got an hour to get settled, then?”

“Yeah. Let’s get your things upstairs and maybe you can relax for a little while.” JC reached down for her backpack and grabbed the larger of her suitcases, then let his focus land back on Lonnie. “We’ll be ready to go whenever you guys are.”

“Great. See you in a bit.”

Jen grasped the handle of the blue bag, looking up to see JC waiting for her at the foot of the staircase. He smiled, tilting his head toward the stairs. “After you.”

“I don’t think I ever actually said hello.” She glanced around and started up, stopping on the second step to turn for a quick kiss. “Hi.” He leaned toward her as she pulled away and she couldn’t help her grin. “Where am I going?”

“Uh …” He blinked for a second, clearing his thoughts. “Right at the top, first door on the left.”

“Okay.” Up the stairs she went, giggling under her breath until she realized there were no footsteps following her. At the top, she turned around, looking down to where he was watching her. “You coming?”

“Yep.” Nodding, he sent her a look she couldn’t quite read, then bounded up the steps toward her. “I’m just … come on.” Grabbing her free hand, he pulled her after him into the bedroom, closing the door behind him and setting her bags by the free bed. Taking the blue bag from her, he laid it on the comforter, then gathered her against him. “I’m just really, really happy you’re here.”

“Me, too.” She snuggled into him, sighing deeply as she relaxed in his arms. A smile tilted her lips when she felt him moving, his fingers combing into her hair as he lowered his chin to the top of her head. Leaning back so she could see him, her gaze met his, one of her hands coming to his face as he came closer, his eyes closing as his lips met hers once, twice, three times, the last kiss deeper than any of the others.

Pulling away, he let his forehead rest against hers, his eyes clashing with hers. “And you have no idea how badly I wish I didn’t have to let you go back.”

“Welcome to my world.” Laughing quietly, she wrapped her arms around his neck. “It hurts every time.”

“God, Boof.” Blue eyes darkened in regret. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay, Josh.” Stretching up, she kissed him softly. “It’s really okay. Because then I come home after a long day and there’s this e-mail waiting from you that makes me laugh until I cry. Or we get to talk for hours on the phone – sometimes until you fall asleep – and it’s like you’re right there with me.” She let her fingers gently massage his neck. “Some days, I’ll be just about ready to throw in the towel and all of a sudden, I get this peaceful feeling … and I wonder if maybe that’s when you’re thinking of me.”

“All the time.” He lifted his head to press his lips to her forehead. “I think about you all the time, Jenny. I promise.”

“I know you do. Probably about as much as I think of you.” With a smile, she stepped away from him and toward the bed. “Which brings us to the blue bag.” Reaching in her pocket, she pulled out her luggage key and unlocked the little padlock on the zippers. “I’ve either missed or am going to miss everybody’s birthdays, so I’m catching up in this one trip.” Lifting the flap, she revealed a collection of brightly wrapped packages. “But I’ve got a few extra things for you.”

“Jen. You didn’t have to do that.” His arms wrapped around her from behind as she began unloading the bag. “Just having you here is enough for me.”

“And I appreciate that.” She leaned back against him, her fingers squeezing his forearms as she tilted her head to look up at him. “But I’ve made more money in the last year than I’ll ever know what to do with, and things definitely don’t seem to be slowing down. Some really cool stuff is in the works that we’ll talk about over dinner. Mom’s been playing with some investments for me that have totally paid off, I have a few ideas for some things in the future … and I know for a fact that as hard as you guys have been working at this, you still haven’t been paid a dime. So for now, just let me spoil you. Please?”

“I don’t want …” He sighed when a pleading expression crossed her face, and he tightened his arms around her, kissing the top of her head. “Okay, okay. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet. You haven’t seen what I brought.” Laughing quietly, she continued to sort the packages. “The other guys should be happy, though. A Bulova sports watch for J, this awesome Superman necklace for Joey, an autographed promotional print of Enter the Dragon for Chris – don’t even ask how I found it – and a pre-release copy of Tim McGraw’s new album for Lance. Tim was even nice enough to autograph an extra CD and liner notes so I could have it framed for him.”

“They’re going to think it’s Christmas, Boof.” He let out a chuckle, looking down as she handed him a small, flat package. “What’s this?”

“Santa thinks you’ve been a good boy this year.” Grinning up at him, she picked up a stack of gifts. “The rest are yours. Mom sent that one and said you needed to open it first.”

“Really?” He moved to sit on his bed and she followed him. “What would your mom have sent me?”

“I have no idea.” She shrugged, tilting her head. “She wouldn’t tell me.”

“Huh.” His brows arched as he lifted the lid off the box, a grin immediately brightening his face as he pulled out the framed photo. With a laugh, he kept the frame facing him as he took the sticky note off the edge, holding it out so she could read it: Josh, Jen would never have given this to you herself, so I’m doing it for her. Enjoy.

“Good God.” Her eyes widened, her brain racing through the possibilities. “Do I even want to know?”

“It’s really cute.” He turned the photo around, and she laughed at the image of herself blowing a kiss at the camera before climbing into the car for the ride to the Grammy ceremony, the blue dress sparkling behind her. “Actually, it’s kind of perfect.” He let his thumb run over the glass, taking in every detail. “That dress …” Trailing off, his gaze came up to her. “Boof, you blew it out of the water.”

“Hold that thought.” A smile formed as she passed him another small box. “This one next.”

“Okay.” The photo was set aside, his fingers working over the seams of the paper. Once he had the box opened, his brow furrowed for a second before he pulled out a somewhat shiny blue tie. “A tie?”

“You said we needed to find somewhere to go so I could wear it again, and I’m holding you to it.” She took the tie from him and held it next to the lamp, setting off a few sparkles in the material. “The shop where I found the dress was owned by a girl named Cassie. She’s just getting started trying to build her business and when she heard that her design would be on national television, she was more than willing to finish the alterations I needed in the time frame I had. Then I heard your message, so I stopped back in to see her before we had to fly out. She was totally thrilled to make a matching tie for me and promised that she could do a redesign of the dress so I could wear it again.” Handing it back to him, she grinned. “You don’t have to wait until then to wear it, but if we’re going somewhere that requires me to be shiny, then you’re going to sparkle, too.”

“I’m not sure where we’ll go, but I’ll figure it out.” He smiled, tucking the tie back into its box. “And now I’ll be prepared, whenever I do.”

“Exactly.” Turning, she picked up the largest box and set it in his lap. “I’m hoping you like these.”

Making quick work of the wrapping on this one, he lifted the lid to find a multi-colored collection of short- and long-sleeved dress shirts. “Oh, wow. You got every color, didn’t you?”

“Actually, yeah.” She laughed. “I don’t know much about fashion, but I know you’re picky about your dress shirts. These came from Cassie, too. I can’t tell you what the fabric is, but it’s the most comfortable stuff I’ve ever worn. I bought a few shirts for myself when I got the dress, then I called a few weeks later to see if she could find it in more guy friendly colors. She e-mailed me a list with photos of the samples, and I couldn’t decide which ones I thought would look best on you, so I sent back an order for your size in all of them.” Her fingers rubbed over the sleeve of the dark purple shirt. “It’s so soft and light, I knew they’d be perfect for you. Anti-wrinkle, easy care, relaxed fit and well-tailored … all the good things.”

“Awesome. I’ve pretty much hated everything they’ve put us in for the promotional stuff we’ve been doing, so I’ll make sure to take at least a few of these with us for the album release. Maybe they’ll let me use my own clothes.” Leaning forward, he pressed a kiss to her forehead. “You’ve got good taste.”

“That’s what I’m hoping. There’s one more.” This box was small, but had some weight to it. “I was a little iffy about this one. If you’d rather have something different, I can trade it.”

The paper came away easily and he had to blink at the watch case for a moment, taking in the details of the shiny silver design. He focused on the logo and brought wide eyes up to find her biting her lip. “Jenny, this is a Rolex.”

“I know.” Her expression became hesitant. “When I saw it, I just knew it belonged to you, but then I started doubting myself as I was packing.”

“Jen, this one watch must’ve cost more than both our cars put together.”

“No, definitely not. I know I might’ve gone a little overboard, but you know how I am about finding a good deal …” She trailed off. “I found it at the same shop as J’s, and by the time I added in a watch for myself and Mom, then ordered the gifts for Lonnie’s guys, the owner was jumping at the chance to give me a bulk discount.” Clearing her throat, she looked at him. “Just try it on. Please?”

He carefully worked the watch out of its case and slid it over his hand, snapping the silver clasp into place. “Oh, wow.”

“It looks awesome on you.” A small smile formed as she watched him admiring his wrist. “Do you like it?”

“I love it.” Sliding across the bed, he tugged her into his lap and hugged her tightly. “It’s perfect.”

“Good.” She let out a sigh of relief as her arms went around his neck. “It’s already got your initials engraved on the back cover.”

“Really?” He laughed, kissing her cheek. “Thank you, Boof.”

“I’m not done yet, that was just the fancy stuff.” With a grin, she slid off him and went to unzip the backpack. “I didn’t think the rest required wrapping.” Pulling out a stack of discs and a thick manilla envelope, she set them on the dresser. “My last round of final arrangements and sheets for your binder. I’ve decided once I’m done at UCF, I’m going to invest in Brian’s studio. Maybe become a silent partner. Maggie let it slip that he’s keeping his agreement with the school just so he can keep up with the rent payments. Apparently, working with me is a bonus.”

“Of course it is. And that’s a great idea, Jen.” Picking up the top case, he flipped it over, reading the track list. “He’s done an awesome job putting together your mixes.”

“I know. He’s been a godsend. I’m just hoping he’ll let me return the favor.” Next came a handful of videos. “You said you were having a hard time finding movies in English, so I brought you a few new ones.”

“Oh, cool.” He smiled as he read over the titles. “I’ve wanted to see these. Awesome.”

“And I just finished reading The Green Mile last week. I thought you’d like to try it and a few others.” She passed the books to him, then met his eyes with a grin. “I added to your menu collection, too. We ate at the Hard Rock in Times Square while we were there, and I was able to sweet talk them out of one of theirs. It’s in your bedroom with the rest.”

“Nice. You may have to use your magic again, then.” His fingers flipped open one of the books to read the description on the jacket. “After we do some touristy stuff, we’re finally going to the one here tomorrow night. And I’m hoping we’ll get to the one in Berlin, since we’re supposed to have at least one full free day while we’re there.”

“All right. I’ll do my best.” Looking back into the bag, she bit her lip. “This last one is kind of silly.”

“It’s okay. Hit me with it.”

“Well, someone told me that the crowd throws stuff on stage when you’re performing and sometimes you’ll keep a stuffed animal for the bus or van. You’ve given me so many that it’s only fair if I give you one, since I haven’t been able to see one of your shows.” A fluffy teddy bear appeared, and she laughed as she tossed it to him. “Consider it a gift from your number one fan.”

“This one will stay right here.” He caught it against his chest, grinning as he let his fingers run through the soft fur. “I wouldn’t want anything to happen to him.” Leaning forward, he set the bear on top of the pillows. “And I want to get you a few while you’re here, too. One from Sweden and one from Germany. Maybe Berlin.”

“That’s sweet. Thanks, Josh.”

“It’s nothing compared to all this.” Standing up, he crossed to her and hugged her tightly, straightening so that her feet left the floor. “You’re the best, Boof. Thanks for everything.”

“You’re welcome.” Her arms wound around his neck as he lifted her higher against him, and she leaned forward to kiss his cheek. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

He’d just tilted his head, his lips meeting hers, when there was a knock at the door. “Hey, Jace?”

At Chris’ voice, he let out a quiet groan, broke the contact and let his forehead rest against hers. “Yeah? It’s open.”

“Hey.” The door opened slowly, and Chris peeked his head around cautiously, biting back a grin when he saw the pair in the middle of the room. “Sorry to interrupt, but Lonnie wants to talk to you before we leave.”

“Sure.” He set her down, kissing her one last time. “There’s a bathroom right across the hall if you need it. Just head on down whenever you’re ready, okay?”

“Yeah. Be there in a little bit.”

“Dude, did I miss Santa, or what?” Chris laughed as JC passed into the hallway, taking in the torn wrapping paper littering the bed and floor, his eyes settling on the sparkling silver watch. “Looks like you scored.”

“An elf paid me a special visit.” JC sent a wink to Jen before he turned and headed for the stairs.

“Speaking of elves …” She waved Chris into the room, pointing to the gifts still sitting on the bed. “Want to help me make some deliveries?”

----------------------------------------

Wednesday came quickly, and Jen found herself sitting in one of the black vans, tucked between JC and Justin, waiting patiently outside the airport for the okay that it was time to board their night flight to Stuttgart. The guys were chatting excitedly with Chris, their energy raising as they prepared to promote the album they’d put so much work into. Sara came out the sliding glass doors and headed for the other van, her hands full of documents, and JC’s hand squeezed hers, a smile lighting his face as he looked to her. “You ready?”

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” She laughed as his leg began to bounce. “How much coffee did you have today?”

“Not nearly enough.” He yawned, then shook his head. “I’ll be out before we take off.”

“Yeah, right.” Biting back another laugh, she glanced at her watch. “How long are we going to be in Stuttgart?”

“We don’t fly out for Hamburg until early Friday morning. We’ll check in to the hotel when we get there, then we have a few morning show interviews and a radio thing after lunch.” Cutting a glance toward her, his brow arched. “We have free time after we finish at the radio station. Wasn’t there a castle you wanted to see?”

“Really?” Her eyes brightened with her smile. “Can we go?”

“Sure.” He lifted her hand and pressed his lips across her knuckles. “As you wish, Boof.”

The side door of the van opened, and Sara stuck her head inside. “Okay guys, you know the drill. Security and talent first, Lonnie has your boarding passes and you’ll go around security and directly to the gate. All bags are already checked and ready to go, but make sure to keep your hands on your carry on. Everybody else goes with me to check in and we’ll go through airport security before boarding. Boarding time is in forty-five minutes, so let’s get a move on.”

JC leaned over, kissing Jen quickly before releasing her hand. “See you on board.”

“Yep.”

It seemed as if the van was suddenly empty as the guys and their ‘shadows’ hopped out, leaving Jen with Lynn and a few of Johnny’s crew. Lynn came around to sit next to her, grinning as she looked down at the backpack at Jen’s feet. “Planning on camping?”

“I hope not.” A laugh escaped as Jen’s fingers closed around one of the straps. “I have this nightmare that out of all the bags on board, mine will be the one to get lost. I’ve got a couple changes of clothes and all my irreplaceable things with me, just in case.”

“Smart girl.”

“All right, people. Let’s go. Have your ID and passport ready when you get to the counter.” Sara’s voice was tired as she began walking away from the vans, not waiting for anyone to catch up to her.

With a quick glance at each other, Jen and Lynn grabbed their bags and followed the large group into the airport, joining the bunch at the check in desk. Finally, Lynn had presented her ID and passport, and she was holding her boarding pass. As she picked up her bag, she sent a smile to Jen. “I’ll be waiting for you over in security.”

“Okay.” Jen nodded, smiling at the desk agent as she passed over her paperwork. “Hi.”

“Hello.” The agent typed quickly into her computer, frowned, then keyed in the information again. “Do you have a confirmation number?”

“I’m sorry.” Jen blinked in confusion. “A confirmation number?”

“From where you booked your flight. Did you jot down the confirmation?”

“I didn’t book this flight.” She shook her head. “I’m with the group that just came through.”

“I’m sorry, Miss, but your name isn’t on the flight manifest.”

“It’s not?” Jen glanced to where the group was waiting for their security check and found Sara staring back at her from the other side of the barriers, an odd expression on her face. A smirk lifted the blonde’s lips, just before she turned and quickly made her way toward the gate. A sinking feeling began in the pit of Jen’s stomach. “Let me guess … the flight is full, isn’t it?”

“There are no available seats, Miss.” The agent’s eyes darkened with sympathy. “I can check for a later flight, perhaps? Or maybe even on another airline?”

“I don’t really know what to do.” Leaning around, she caught a glimpse of Lynn, just arriving at the check point. “Am I allowed to go to the security area, as long as I don’t try to pass through? I need to let somebody know what’s going on.”

“Absolutely. Please stay on this side of the barricades.”

“Thank you.” Fighting back her panic, Jen scooped up her ID and passport from the counter and fairly ran toward where Lynn had just finished with the security agent and was picking up her bag. “Lynn! Hang on a second!”

Lynn turned, her brow furrowing when she saw that Jen wasn’t in the security check line. “Jenny, you’d better get a move on.”

“I didn’t get booked on the flight.”

“What?” The older woman’s eyes widened. “How did that happen?”

“Sara’s in charge, that’s how.” Jen sighed, running a hand through her hair. “I’m going to try to catch a later flight and meet up with you guys, but I really don’t know where I’m supposed to be going. Do you have a copy of the schedule?”

“Of course. Lonnie gave us a printout this morning.” Lynn began digging through her bag, sighing in relief when she found the packet of papers with their itinerary for the next two weeks. “Is there anything else I can do?”

“I’ve got my cell phone with me and an international plan. Does anybody on the team have a phone?”

“I really don’t think so. Here.” She tore a corner off the last page of the schedule. “What’s your number? If someone has a phone, we’ll stay in contact. Either way, someone will try to keep in touch whenever we’re able.” A spark of fire lit in Lynn’s eyes. “And I’ll make sure Jace knows what happened. We’ll be lucky if he doesn’t tear that plane apart.”

“Don’t let him do that. I’ll just …” Jen swallowed hard. “I’ll work something out. I’ve got my credit card with me, and the cost isn’t a problem. Surely I won’t be too far behind.”

“Okay, honey. I’ve got to go.” Lynn leaned across the barrier, hugging her tightly. “Be careful, okay?”

“I will. You’d better run. I think they just started boarding.” She watched Justin’s mother move quickly down the hall, holding back tears. “Forget about my bag getting lost. I just got lost.” Taking a deep breath, she straightened her shoulders and made her way back to the booking counter, managing a smile at the desk agent as she pulled her wallet from her pocket. “I think I need some help. What’s the quickest way for me to get to Stuttgart?”

*********************

JC glanced over as Sara dropped down into the seat beside him. Fighting back a groan, he forced a small smile. “Sorry, Sara. Jen’s with me.”

“Sure. Whatever.” Not budging, she leaned down to make sure her bag was pushed underneath the seat in front of her.

“Seriously …” He was interrupted by a crashing noise, his eyes jerking up to see a panicked Lynn racing up the aisle. “Lynn? What’s wrong?” His gaze moved behind her, his brow furrowing at the empty space. “Where’s Jenny?”

“She wasn’t booked on the flight.”

“She what?” Fear streaked through him, then a burning anger, his hands fisting as he faced Sara. “How did that happen, Sara?”

“Beats me. Guests are responsible for their own arrangements.” The blonde shrugged indifferently. “Guess she didn’t take care of business.”

“Guests are responsible … since when?” He began breathing heavily, earning a wide-eyed stare from Justin in the seat ahead of him. “My parents were here two months ago. Steve was with us on the last tour. Lynn and Diane are with us all the time. Since when are guests responsible for their own arrangements?”

“Family and crew are provided for.” Sara regarded him coolly. “Guests are on their own.”

“I spoke to Johnny about this when we were first working out the promotional tour. He specifically said everything would be handled and that she’d be with us the entire time. Besides, we didn’t even have a final schedule until this morning.” His voice rose as he argued, drawing Lonnie’s attention. “How the hell was she supposed to know where to go and when?”

“I’m sorry, but that’s not my problem.” Icy blue eyes warmed in sympathy, her tone softening. “I’m sure she’ll work it out.”

“Jace, she’s trying to get on a later flight to meet us.” Lynn interjected, her hand gripping the seat beside her. “But we have bigger issues. I know there’s a language barrier here, but did anybody actually look at their boarding pass? Or listen to the announcements?”

“What do you mean?” Lonnie joined her in the aisle. “Is something wrong?”

“We’re not going to Stuttgart. This flight is nonstop to Hamburg.”

“No.” Lonnie’s hand went to the sheaf of papers lying on his seat. “The schedule we have says Stuttgart, then Hamburg, then Berlin for the release. This was in stone as of this morning.” His dark gaze fell to the blonde who was sitting before him, completely unfazed. “What happened to our 'final' itinerary?”

“Changes were necessary with a few of the interviews. I sent out the finalized schedule this afternoon.”

This afternoon? I’ve had all the security arrangements made since Monday, with assurances from both Johnny and you that there would be no changes! The hotel in Hamburg isn’t even expecting us until Friday.” The large guard looked about ready to breathe fire. “We can’t just wing a security detail as we go. Somebody’s bound to get hurt. Or lost.”

“Someone already has.” Lynn leaned against the seat as they ignored the flight attendant trying to get them to buckle in. “All I had was the schedule you gave me. Jen is back there trying to get on a flight to somewhere we aren’t even going, with nothing but her credit card and carry on. We can’t get in touch with her until we get to a payphone when we land, and even then, do we really know where she needs to go?”

Damn.” Lonnie’s large hand fisted on the top of Sara’s seat, and he leaned down to get in her face. “I want an updated copy of that schedule. Now!” The girl’s hand shook slightly as she reached into her bag, pulling out a fresh packet of papers. “Thanks for nothing. Lynn, give me Jen’s number. I’ve got my phone with me and I’ll try to call her as soon as we land.”

“Oh, my God. There’s nowhere for her to go.” JC dropped his face down into his hands as he groaned. “She doesn’t have any cash, so she can’t get a cab. Even if she could get there, she couldn’t get back in the house. There’s no telling when a seat will be available, which doesn’t even matter, since she has no idea where to meet us. I’m supposed to be taking care of her, and I’m leaving her stranded in an airport in Sweden.”

“It’ll be okay.” Sara’s hand patted at his arm comfortingly. “I’m sure …”

“If you really think it’s a good idea to touch me right now, then you’re seriously one crazy bitch.” He seethed, his fingers clawing at her wrist before twisting it painfully, blazing eyes piercing her straight through. “If anything happens to her – if she’s not in perfect condition when I get to see her again – I will end you. We’re talking burned alive, not even ashes left, Sara. Do you understand me?” Flinging her arm back across her body, he took a deep breath. “Lonnie, get her away from me, or I’m gonna rip her to pieces.”

“Get up.”

“But this is my …” Her defensive voice cut through the tension in the cabin of the plane.

Get. Up.” Lonnie reached down and gripped her arm, physically removing her from the seat as his other hand picked up her bag. “Lynn, you’re with Jace.” He watched as she dropped down into the seat and wrapped her arms around JC, then gestured toward the large man who had the seat next to his. “Tiny, you’re taking her seat. This one’s sticking with me.”

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers mmcera debutsync presync jc justin joey chris college lance eurosync