The One Nighter by BrandyRae
Part II:  Chapter 23
 


It was a quarter to six when his mom arrived.  By five-till he’d managed to pull her aside and practically beg her to spend some quality “grandma time” with her grandson—pizza, the video arcade, shopping.  He didn’t care.  All he knew was it had been almost a week since he’d spent any time alone with Cassidy.   Ever since the news had hit the papers their lives had been insane.  Someone was always at the house—security, Trace, Matt.  Plus, Cody hadn’t been sleeping too great, which meant even the nights were hectic.  Justin was afraid the stress was affecting their son, even though they were trying to shield him from it as much as possible.

Luckily, just as he imagined, his mom was happy to spoil her grandson a little.  She was going to take him out to eat.  She promised to be gone for at least an hour and she would take T with her, for obvious reasons.  Justin managed to kick everyone else out of the room before Cody was even ready to go.  As soon as he and Cassidy had kissed their little boy goodbye, the room was completely empty.

Cassidy strutted towards him with an obvious know-it-all expression.  “Gee, that wasn’t obvious or anything.”

“We haven’t had sex in three days.”  For some reason he was whining.  He needed to stop that immediately.

With a smirk, she half-smiled.  “Don’t remind me.”

Justin figured they both definitely needed to let off some steam.  What better way than getting naked with each other?  He wasn’t wasting any time.  Stepping towards her, he tore his shirt over his head.  Her eyes focused on him as she stood there frozen in front of the couch in the living room of their suite.  When he got to her, he nearly tackled her, planting her down on the cushion and jumping on top of her.

“Ouch,” she managed calmly.

He chuckled.  “Sorry.  Was that too rough?   I’m a little anxious.”

“I can tell.”   Her brown eyes studied him, her pouty lips looking oh-so tempting.  He wanted to just gobble her up.

“Is it bad that I want you all day, all the time?”

“Well,” she mused, “I’d say it’s more like a little surprising that you could feel so strongly and still we haven’t found the time to actually be together over the past few days.  Are you sure you want me all the time, everyday?”  She was toying with him and he wasn’t sure if he had the patience for that.

“Fuck.  Are you crazy?  Yes.”

Those naughty lips of hers widened into a devilish grin, but not one word fell from her mouth.

“We have an hour, maybe an hour and a half tops.”

“So you’re telling me we need to hurry?”

“I’m telling you that if we don’t take advantage of this time alone that I am probably going to explode.”

At that she outright laughed.   “I love you,” she said.  “Our life is crazy right now, but I don’t care.  I’m so in love with you.”

Damn it.  She had to go and get sentimental on him.  Nestling his face beside hers, he took in a deep whiff of her and lightly kissed the tender spot below her ear.  “I love you too,” he said softly.  “After this, let’s try and get away for a few days.  Just me and you.  Can we?”

Her palm smoothed to the back of his neck and instinctively his lips made way to hers.  “Definitely.”

He hummed as he finally kissed her.  He’d started it as just a need, but she’d turned it into what it truly was—undeniable love and adoration.  Damn, he was such a goner when it came to her.


They’d been given an hour, but they’d been so desperate for it that they’d finished with time to spare.  In not much more than underwear, they both laid on the sofa, curled up together, just enjoying the peace and quiet.  Not one thing was on.  No TV.  No radio.  The only sound to be heard was that of each other’s breath.  It was something they both needed very much.

Of course they both knew it wouldn’t last forever, and rightfully so, as a knock on the door broke the silence of the moment.  “Shit,” Justin sighed.  “I forgot that JC was coming back.”

Cassidy chuckled.  “Why does he always catch us right after sex?”

“Because we do it a lot?” Justin smirked.  He kissed her one more time on the cheek and hopped up, pulling his pants on while walking towards the door.  Cassidy grabbed what clothing was on the floor and fled to the bathroom.

Justin had barely managed to pull his t-shirt over his head by the time he opened the door.

“You could have told me you were busy,” JC announced quietly, cautiously looking past Justin into the suite as he obviously realized they’d been up to something.

“We’re done.” Justin shook his head and let the man inside.  “We haven’t had much time to ourselves lately with all that’s been going on.”

“You don’t have to explain to me,” JC remarked.  “You know that.  Where’s your mom and Cody?”  He didn’t ask where Cassidy was, but it must have been obvious that she was there somewhere.

“They should be back any minute.  Did you eat yet?”

JC shook his head no.

“Room service?”

JC shrugged.  “Fine with me.”

Cassidy stepped out of the bathroom then, both men turning to look.  “Hi, JC.”  She waved rather cheerily.  Justin found himself smirking quietly at the sight.  She was a little flushed and from what he could tell, she had sex written all over her—just the way he liked her.

“Hey,” he responded with a grin.  “I told J you guys could have told me if it was a bad time.  I know things have been kinda crazy for you two lately.”

Her head shook no, her eyes sliding to Justin as if she was silently questioning him if he’d told or if JC just knew.  Justin widened his eyes at her—JC just knew—and she nodded discreetly in response.  Funny how easy it was to communicate with someone without using any words whatsoever.  Especially someone you know so well. 

Cassidy sat down on the sofa they’d just consummated as Justin grabbed his cell phone, which had been turned off.   JC followed and took a seat in the lone chair angled across from the couch.  “Wow, he even had his phone turned off.  That doesn’t happen very often.”

“Tell me about it,” Cassidy murmured quietly under her breath.  Of course, she’d left hers on just in case Lynn had called while out with Cody.  

“It’ll calm down,” JC was telling her. 

Cassidy found herself rolling her eyes, even though she didn’t mean to.  Was she subconsciously bitter over the situation they were in because of Justin’s celebrity status?  She hadn’t had much time to think about it before, but it definitely wasn’t a plus in their relationship.  And why did she have this undeniable urge to spill all her guts to JC?  A man she’d barely known for a week.  “You know, with my ex, he had just enough familiarity to get the perks, but not all this press.”  She tilted her head before continuing.  “Come to think of it… He still used what he had in a bad way.”  She shook the thought of his cheating out of her head.  She was way over that and definitely didn’t want Justin’s close friend to think she was still bitter.

“Yeah… I kinda know what you—”  He stopped himself for some reason.  “I’m lucky in that sense too.”  She realized he didn’t want to sound like he was rubbing it in that he didn’t have it so bad when it came to the paparazzi.

“Uh oh.”  Justin looked over at them both, the phone still up to his right ear.  “Things got a little crazy at the restaurant so they’re watching a movie in mom’s room.”   He took the phone from his ear and was clearly dialing another number.

“What do you mean things got crazy?” Cassidy asked, rising to her feet.  An immediate panic took over as she rushed towards him.  “Is he okay?”

Justin was shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head back and forth.  He hit a button on his phone and turned it on speaker, Cassidy could hear it ringing.   “Everything’s fine,” his mom answered, instead of the usual hello.

“So what happened?” Justin asked.

“Another patron of the restaurant was taking photos with her camera phone.  Nothing major.  We just thought it might be a good idea to leave.” 

Cassidy figured the “we” meant security.  “Can I talk to Cody?” She joined in the conversation.

“He actually just conked out.  Do you want me to wake him up?”

Justin was staring at Cassidy, letting her answer the question as he held the phone between them both.  “No, that’s okay.”  It was barely seven o’clock but it had been a tiring day—a tiring week as far as that goes.

“If he’s asleep now is he gonna be awake all night?” Justin was asking softly, obviously to Cassidy and not to his mom through the phone. 

But before Cassidy had a chance to respond, Lynn was offering to keep him in her room.  “I’ve got two beds,” she added.

“It’s up to you,” Justin told Cassidy.

“Why don’t we see what he wants to do when he wakes up.  If he wakes up,” Cassidy decided.

“Okay.  I’ll give you guys a call a little later.” 

Cassidy shuffled back to the couch and plopped down.  Why did she feel so exhausted all the sudden?  Looking up, she barely realized that JC was just ending his own phone call.  “We’re gonna have to rain check dinner,” the man informed.

Justin’s tall frame came around in front of the sofa, just before collapsing beside her.  “You sure, C?” he asked.

JC nodded.  “Something came up.”

Cassidy found herself looking at him oddly, but he obviously didn’t notice.  “Alright.”  Both men stood.   “Another time, then.”

Nodding again, JC grinned in Cassidy’s direction.  “Nice seeing you again.”

“You too,” she replied, bringing her knees up and resting her bare heels on the edge of the couch cushion.   The two men disappeared out of sight, Cassidy didn’t bother to watch.  Some random fan had been taking video of her son in a restaurant, without her or Justin even there, and for some reason it made her feel completely violated.  This was something she was really going to have to get used to.

When Justin returned he positioned himself lengthwise on the chocolate-colored, leather couch, obviously waiting for her to straighten her legs so he could lay down on her.   She did, his head resting on her thighs like it couldn’t possibly belong anywhere else.  Flat on his back, he looked up at her with caring eyes.  “You okay?”

She shrugged.  “Not really.”  Her hand fell to his face, her fingers tracing along his brow and the well-defined bridge of his nose.  Studying him, she smoothed her touch over the stubble on his cheeks before softly trailing her thumb across his perfectly shaped lips. 

“I know,” he said simply.  “I’m sorry.”

This time she shook her head.   “It’s an adjustment.”  Her hand smoothed to the top of his head.  He hadn’t had a haircut since they’d reconnected and she found herself grinning as she noticed the start of what would soon be curls if he didn’t get it cut soon. 

He grabbed her hand and held it against his warm cheek.  Then he kissed her palm.  “For me too.   I’m not used to dealing with it in this way.  I know it’s not as weird for me as it is for you, but I feel totally unsettled over this.  I do.”

For some reason she just had to kiss him after that.  Leaning down, she pressed her lips to his for just a brief moment.  He was grinning when she pulled up.  “Do you think JC really had something come up, or was he just saying that because he thought we wanted to be alone?”

Justin sat up, stretching out his long legs and resting his bare feet on the glass-topped coffee table.  “Probably both.”  Clutching one of her hands, he twined his fingers with hers and rested both on his thigh.   “He’s seeing someone who’s staying here.  I don’t really know all the details.”

“Oh,” she said simply.

Things were quiet for a couple of minutes after that.  She laid her head on his shoulder, enjoying his warmth and comfort.  There were a lot of feelings inside of her and she wasn’t quite sure how to communicate any of them.  What she did know how to do was admire him, a feat not difficult to do as he was sprawled out next to her.   From the chest down she studied him, his white t-shirt loose but still revealing the amazing build that was underneath it because of the way he was sitting.  The dark jeans he wore were sort of baggy, but thanks to gravity the outline of his muscular thighs still managed to be noticeable.  His ankles were crossed, still perched on the table, and for some reason even his feet were attractive at the moment.

She was crazy in love with this man.  More so than she’d ever been with anyone.

Bumping the top of her head with the side of his, he finally broke the silence.  “I know my mom said he was sleeping, but is it weird that I just want to go check on him and make sure he’s okay?”

At that Cassidy instantly grinned.  “No, not at all.  I think we should.”

Justin dropped his feet from the table and planted them on the floor.  “We could pack his bag?  In case he wants to spend the night?”  He was staring at her with expectant eyes, as if he was hoping she agreed with his suggestion.

“Then we wouldn’t look so pathetic?” she said with a grin.

“Yeah.”  He shook his head as if he hadn’t meant to agree.  “I mean, no.  Is it pathetic to want to check on him?”

For some reason the fact that he was still “learning” how to become a parent was completely adorable.  She also realized that being able to share feelings of concern with someone felt really good.  It was nice not having all the weight on her shoulders for a change.  Brushing her fingers down the back of his neck, she leaned in and kissed him sweetly, letting the touch linger longer than she’d planned just because it felt so damn good every time it happened.  “Not at all,” she finally said with a grin.  “It would be pathetic if we didn’t have the desire to check on him.”

Justin grinned wide and proud.  “I know he’s with my mom and everything, but still.”

Cassidy nodded and stood up.   “Totally,” was all she said, obviously in agreement.

They packed a couple of things—mainly pajamas and clothes for the next day—and were out the door.   Only two steps in the hall, Cassidy remembered she’d forget something.  “We didn’t grab his toothbrush,” she said to Justin.

“I’ll go back and get it,” he said and swiped his keycard before rushing back into their suite.

Cassidy stepped two feet towards Lynn’s room when a female figure came barreling around the corner just down the hall.  She was almost knocked off her feet when she realized who it was.

What the fuck was Justin’s ex-wife doing in their hotel, on their floor, for chrissake! 

 

Justin heard the screech of voices and knew instantly what was happening.  He ran out of his room, still clutching Cody’s toothbrush, thankful that neither one of them had laid a hand on the other.  That was the last thing he or Cassidy needed, because Macie would do anything for a headline at this point.

But he could tell Cassidy was having a damn hard time holding back, both of her fists clutched at her sides and her fingers clearly digging into her palms from what he could see.   

Macie smirked, her short blond hair partially pulled back, the rest hanging loosely around her face.  As usual she looked completely done up in a completely undone way.  It was a look she’d mastered well.  He knew all about it—unfortunately.  Her ice blue eyes had an evil glare to them as her line of sight changed from Cassidy to him.  “I’m surprised, J.  You didn’t tell her the movie you’re promoting is the one we did together?”

Justin’s stomach instantly dropped.  He’d planned on telling her… sometime before they watched it together anyway.  The thing was, he and Macie weren’t doing promotions together.  In fact, there had been specific instructions that they weren’t supposed to be anywhere near each other.   This encounter was totally Macie’s doing.  She’d turned into a vengeful and spiteful bitch and now he had himself in one helluva situation.

Cassidy was looking at him, too, now, a world of anger, hurt and confusion in her eyes.  “I was going to tell you,” he said softly.

She didn’t say anything, but she didn’t have to.  She was visibly upset, at least to him anyway.

Macie laughed and Cassidy instantly focused her attention back on the nuisance.  Her arms crossed over her chest and her stance straightened.  “Can you just not handle that he had a life before you and that he has an even better life after you?”

“Puh lease—” Macie started, but Cassidy was quick to cut her off.

“Yes, please, shut the fuck up.”

By now Justin noticed his mom step out into the hall, a look of horror clouded Lynn’s features as she realized what was happening and clearly mouthed the words “oh shit.”  He discreetly nodded his head for her to go back inside as Cassidy continued with her well-deserved rant.

“Neither one of us cares what you do, what you have to say, or what kind of trouble you seem to get yourself into.   So promote your fucking movie, but please, stay the fuck away from me, my boyfriend and our son.”  The look Cassidy gave Justin from the corner of her eye as she strutted past was definitely not a good one.  He didn’t move as she walked 10 steps down the hall and knocked on the door to his mom’s room.  His eyes didn’t leave her until she was completely inside.   At least she was still considering him her boyfriend.  That had to be a good thing, right?

“What the fuck, Macie?” he was questioning quietly.  “Why are you purposely causing trouble?”

“I just thought she should know,” the girl remarked smugly. 

“How the hell would you know if she did or not?” His voice raised up a notch and he automatically quieted himself, wondering where the hell his security team was all the sudden.  Little did he know T was standing about three strides behind him.   “And more importantly, why do you care?  You left me, remember?”  He shook his head, irritated that he was having this conversation.  It was absolutely ridiculous.  “I’ve moved on.  Shouldn’t you be happy about that?”

 

Inside Lynn’s suite, Cassidy had quickly checked to make sure Cody was still asleep—which he was—before slumping into an open chair and letting her head fall.  She didn’t understand.  Why would Justin keep such a major fact from her?  She wouldn’t have cared one way or the other and now he’d put her in a horrible position.

Lynn was standing just a few feet away, watching her, probably wanting to say something but not sure what.   Finally Cassidy looked up at the woman.   “Why didn’t he tell me?  Do you know?”

“I honestly didn’t know that you weren’t aware that this was the movie they did together.”

“I didn’t even know they had done a movie together, ever!” Cassidy remarked, her annoyance obviously not under control.

When the knock came through, she knew it was Justin and frankly she wasn’t sure what the hell to say to him.   Standing up, she met him half way to the door.  “Cody’s fine.  I’ll meet you back at our room.”  She hoped his ex-wife was nowhere to be seen, but right now she couldn’t figure out who she wanted to see less. 

 

Justin’s head swayed regretfully as the door shut behind Cassidy and he stared at his mother.  His eyes were burning, not that he was on the verge of tears or anything, but to say he wasn’t upset—mainly at himself—would be an understatement for sure.  “Why do I do these things to myself?” he finally asked.

His mom shook his head.   “Sweetheart, why didn’t you tell her?  Running into your ex-wife would have been much easier if—”

Justin stopped her.  “I know.  I was going to tell her.  Later tonight, I guess.  Definitely before tomorrow.  I never thought we’d run into Macie.  I mean, there were instructions on this.  We were not supposed to be anywhere near each other.”

Lynn sighed loudly.  “Don’t worry about Cody.  He’s fine.  You better go talk to her.”

He nodded his head.  His mother was always right.  He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to say, but he knew he better figure out something.

© BrandyRae 2007



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj soloj visual