Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm SO sorry this has taken so long. I was doing so well with the updates.... for like 2 chapters haha. I have major writers block issues with everything at the moment but I wanted to give you guys something. Thanks to everyone for sticking with me lol. I'm working on more :)

 

         It’s cold now. It’s like somebody left the door open in the middle of a snowstorm. The only problem is that there’s not a snowstorm, in fact it’s 73 degrees outside. I’m sitting in the row behind Justin and his lawyers next to his mother as the judge goes back to his spot and tells Lauren to take Ayden away once again. I suppose it’s good that she doesn’t sit here through the whole trial but I’m still not exactly comfortable with them taking her away.

         Justin hugs his daughter tightly before kissing her forehead and promising her he’ll see her soon and that he is indebted countless tea parties. He doesn’t look back at me, not even for a second, as he sits back down next to his lawyer and folds his hands on the table in front of him. I can’t help but feel guilty for not telling him I’ve been seeing his daughter, but they specifically told me I couldn’t. Justin doesn’t care about what they told me; in his eyes I should have told him.

         “Sari Morgan to the stand, please.”

         I took a deep breath before stepping up. This is it; this is my chance to get the best for Ayden. “Sari, please tell the court your relationship with Mr. Timberlake.”

         “I’m his assistant.”

         “What kind of duties does that job entail?”

         “I just basically help him with anything he needs help with.”

         The lawyer nodded his head and paced around, making me even more nervous than I already am, if that was possible, “How long have you worked for him?”

         “Just over three years,” I answered before licking my lips, everyone’s eyes are on me. I hate attention.

         “In your opinion is Justin a good father?”

         I nodded my head, trying to figure out a way to get through this without lying. I do believe Justin is a good father when he wants to be and I’m absolutely positive that this was the wakeup call he needed and now he’s going to be an amazing father now that he’s the new Justin. “Yes sir, he tries his hardest.” 

         “Have you ever seen him abuse Ayden, physically?”

         “Absolutely not, he never laid a finger on her.”

         “Have you ever witnessed Justin verbally abusing Ayden?”

         I bit at my lip and looked between Justin and his lawyer and shook my head, “I mean… no more than normal.” I’m a horrible liar and I’m under oath but I don’t know how the fuck to answer that question. Everyone was so sure that I’d do great up here that they failed to coach me on the one question that I need help with.

         “What does that mean? No more than normal?” the Amber’s lawyer asked, moving closer.

         “Like… he has his moments I guess but not like…”

         “I would like to remind you that you’re under oath.”

         “I’m aware, thank you,” I said as I gazed right back at him. I can be a bitch too. He’s trying to make me nervous and intimidate me but it’s not going to work. “Yeah, Justin has had his moments where he may not have handled situations exactly the way he should have. But I don’t think it’s more than any father, or single father trying to raise a daughter. He has a very stressful career and um… at times it comes home with him but that’s what I’m for. I can take her out of those situations and help him deal with it on his own.”

         “And that’s normal?” the asshole lawyer asked.

         “Most fathers have support from their daughter’s mother and since Justin does not,” I looked at the crazy Amber, “that’s where I come in. I think that’s very normal. I think it shows a lot that he’s willing to ask for help able to do what he needs to do in order to have what’s best for Ayden. Instead of say, dropping her off on someone’s doorstep.”

         Justin had a slight smirk on his face when I looked over at him while Amber slouched back with her arms crossed over her chest. 

         “What do you do when Ayden asks about her mother?”

         “Ayden doesn’t ask about her mother.”

         “You don’t think a little girl needs a mother?’

         “Of course I think she needs a female role model but I don’t think it has to be the woman that gave birth to her.”

         “Don’t you think it would be the best situation for Ayden to have a relationship with the woman that gave birth to her?”

         “In a perfect world, sure. I don’t think that Ayden should have a relationship with the woman that blackmailed her father into giving her seven million dollars. Obviously this lady does not care about Ayden but has some issues with her father. It’s ridiculous to think that any mother would want her daughter to spend weeks in a home because of an issue that could have been settled in other ways. I don’t think any woman that loves their daughter would ever put her through what Amber is putting Ayden through, which is why I don’t think of Amber as Ayden’s mother and I know Ayden doesn’t either. So to answer your question, no I do not think Ayden should have a relationship with the woman that gave birth to her.”

         The lawyer kept pacing but he’s becoming less intimidating. I think he’s worried that I’m not just an idiot and I actually know what I’m talking about. He should be worried; I’m not giving up without a fight. There is no way in hell I’m letting Ayden go with this lady.

         “That’s not facts, that’s her opinion. Did you ever think that Ayden living with her mother would be a better situation and give her in a more stable life?”

         “I want what’s best for Ayden. If I honestly thought for even a second that Ayden would be better off with Amber I would be all for it. It would hurt like hell and I’d have a hard time getting by without her but I want what’s best for her. There is not one tiny single piece of me that thinks she would have even a slightly better life with Amber.”

         “Everyone wants what’s best for the girl.”

         “I really wish that was true, but actions speak louder than words, right?”

         He took a deep breath and sat down, “And for the record, you do have a relationship with Mr. Timberlake, outside of the working environment?”

         “Objection!” Justin’s lawyer spoke up before I could answer, “Your honor, that has nothing to do with anything.”

         I don’t think Justin and I have any kind of a relationship outside of the professional aspect. Sure, the past few weeks he’s been different and maybe I would actually consider him a friend… a friend that I’ve made out with.

         Luckily the questioning ended and I was able to go back to my seat as they called Amber to the stand. She just makes herself look stupid.  No one is buying her bullshit. She can’t even answer the questions and her answers don’t make sense.    

         They took another recess for lunch after the questioning of Amber was over. Unfortunately they didn’t let us eat with Ayden. “You did great sweetie,” Justin’s mother placed a hand on my shoulder before sitting down next to me. 

         “Yes, I especially liked the dropping Ayden off on someone’s doorstep line,” Justin answered with that same half smile before he took a bite of his sandwich.

         “It’s true,” I answered softly causing Justin to chuckle.

         “It is,” he answered simply.

         I’m actually quite surprised at how much I like the new lawyers. Justin was right in his moment of fury in firing the old ones. He probably should have fired them a long time ago, but I’m glad he smartened up. As the lawyers went over everything he was supposed to say when he’s called up to the stand he sat up straight listening intently.

         I don’t know when I’m going to get used to this new Justin, but a part of me is waiting for the old one to come back. I shouldn’t be so pessimistic, deep down I don’t think Justin is going to go back to his old ways although I’m sure he’ll still have his moments. He just really wants his daughter back, it’s horrible that it took her being taken away for him to realize how mucky he is to have her, but at least it worked.

         “Can I talk to you for a minute?” I asked Justin softly once his lawyers left.

         He shook his head before speaking, “Not now Sari.”

         “Just for a minute. Please?” it’s so obvious that he’s still mad at me because I went to see Ayden and I didn’t tell him.

         “I’m busy.”

         Ugh, he drives me crazy sometimes. “You’re not busy Justin. A minute. You can’t be pissed off when you’re up there it’s going to show.”

         He took a deep breath before standing up and grabbing onto my wrist so he could pull me into an empty room.  “This is not the time.”

         “It is the time. I don’t want you to be pissed at me because I got to see her.”

         “I’m not.”

         I know I rolled my eyes but I don’t even care. “They told me I couldn’t tell you. I went in to the office and I begged them to let me see her so I could at least see she was ok. I hurt like hell thinking that she was there all alone and didn’t know anyone cared.”

         “No shit,” Justin answered as he paced around the room, “You don’t think that shit bothered me too?”

         “I know it did. That’s why I went. I wanted to make sure for everyone.”

         “I was so fucking worried about her and you couldn’t even tell me she was ok?” he shouted, running his hands through his hair.

         “I did tell you she was ok. Every time you told me you were worried about her I told you she was fine. They took good care of her. Wouldn’t you rather me be able to make sure they took care of her? At least Ayden got to see someone she knows. At least she knew we still care.”

 

         “It’s bullshit Sari, don’t try to turn it all around. You should have told me.”

         “They told me I couldn’t!”

         “Well fuck that, since when do you listen to everything people tell you to do? Especially with Ayden, you never do what people tell you to do; you do what’s best for her. That’s what you care about, what’s best for her and what’s best for you. You don’t give a shit about anyone else.”

         “That’s such bullshit! You know that’s not true.”

         “I don’t know it’s not true.  I used to, or I thought I knew you cared about other people but I don’t know that anymore. You know how I couldn’t sleep at night. You know how much fucking shit I went through and you couldn’t just tell me you were seeing her and she’s fine. No. Instead you sneak out and pretend you’re going to the fucking grocery store when I’m up in my room having fucking panic attacks.”

         “They told me I couldn’t tell you. I wanted to be able to see her, I though if I told you they wouldn’t let me. I wanted to tell you; obviously I wanted to tell you. You know I do so much shit for you. I was having serious issues because I wanted to tell you and I thought that it would calm you down and make you better but they told me over and over again if I told you I wouldn’t be able to go see her. I did it for Ayden. She needed to see someone she knows. I’m sure she would have much rather had you there instead of me, but no family members were allowed to see her. I managed to be able to see her Justin, you should be happy that she saw someone she knew and she wasn’t alone feeling abandoned.”

         Justin took a deep breath before answering, “You’re right, I should thank you.” he said with a hint of sarcasm, “Thanks for sneaking away to go see me daughter while I’m in my figuring out away to deal with fact that they took my FUCKING daughter and I have no idea where she is or what they’re doing to her. Thanks Sari.” He slammed the door, leaving me inside as he stormed back into the courtroom. OK, so that’s not exactly going to help him calm down while he’s on the stand. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj assistant court