Author's Chapter Notes:

Alright... so this one hasn't been updated since February... that's horrible. I'm sorry! I'm trying to get my act together with these because I really do hate unfinished stories. So I'm working on it. Hopefully I'll try to continue this soon.

 

AND... The wonderful Vikki made me these banners waaay back but I haven't updated since :( so here they are. I love them both so I'll put them both up and there we go.

 

I hope you still remember what's going on with Justin, Sari and of course Ayden. Thanks for still reading and reviewing if you're still interested :)

 

 

 

 

         “Are you doing alright? You’re not going to faint again are you?” Justin held his hands out as if I was about to fall and he could catch me as we walked back to his car.

         “You’re hilarious. I’m fine, shut up.”

         “I don’t want you to fall again. Do you know when it’s going to happen? Can you give me a sign or something?”

         I can’t do anything but laugh, I want to hurt him but instead I’ll just laugh. “Yeah, I’ll give you a sign. You’re never going to let me live this down are you?”

         “Of course not. What do you take me for?” he answered with a chuckle before opening the passenger’s side of the door for me, “Come on now, careful.”

         I shook my head as I watched him laughing as he made his way around to the driver’s side. Of course I’m embarrassed, I did just completely pass out at the doctor’s office, but at least it was only in front of Justin.  I can’t believe I’m actually thinking that.  He’s the one person in the world that will bring it up every five minutes. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to get over it.

         “Still with me?” he asked with one last chuckle before starting the car.  He placed his hand on my knee, “I really was worried.”

         “I know, I’m sorry. I’m ok. Where’s our next stop?” I tried to change the subject. Justin said we have four stops and we’ve only been to one. There can’t be anything else worse than the first stop so hopefully it’s all fun from here.

         “You really can’t deal with surprises huh? Relax Sari, we’re almost there.”

         I took a deep breath and looked out the window for some kind of clue. For a second I forgot we’re in Tennessee and I don’t have any clue where we are. It’s not that I don’t like surprises; I just like knowing what’s going on. I’m used to being in control, I’m usually the one making the plans. This role reversal is hard to get used to.

         Justin pulled into the parking lot of an old store that looks like a log cabin. I do love the atmosphere here; everything is so old and cute. Although I would appreciate it more if I knew what I was doing here. “Stop two?”

         “Stop two,” Justin nodded his head and smiled, “Wait.” He ordered before jogging by to open the door for me. Who is this guy? “I don’t want you falling.” There he is. It’s like he’s acting sweet but he needs to say something to make it all a joke.

         “Is this a store?”

         “Yes Sari, it’s a store,” he chuckled, “When I was a kid my dad took me here to get my first pair of cowboy boots. I wanted them so bad. I was like… three years old, and I remember It.” there is no way he remembers that day when he was three years old. It’s not possible. “I know what you’re thinking cause you’re always so damn realistic but I swear I remember it. I’ve been getting my boots here ever since. I got Ayden a pair when she was three, my mom gets them here and my dad so… you’re next.”

         “I’ve never had cowboy boot before.”

         “Why does that not surprise me?” he asked as he grabbed onto my hand and led me inside, “We’ll get you a nice, comfy pair don’t worry.”

         “I’m not worried,” I said as I looked down at his feet and noticed the boots he was wearing for the first time, “I didn’t even know you had boots.”

         “Are you kidding? I’ve been wearing these suckers since we landed.”

         “You’re so full of shit,” I laughed.

         “I am not. Sit down,” he pointed to an old wooden chest and I did as I was told, “We got a newbie over here!” he shouted as if we were the only people in the store. OK, so we are the only people in the store but still.

         “Oh my, if it isn’t our very own Justin Timberlake. How are you doin’ darlin’? It’s so good to have you home,” an older woman said as she walked over and pulled him into a hug. “I’m so glad everything worked out for you. We were all prayin’ for you down here, that’s for sure.”

         “Yeah, thanks a lot,” Justin smiled. It’s so weird to be down here with him because he really is a different person. I guess this is the real him, I mean he’s been acting like this for a little while but it’s still going to take me awhile to get used to. I love how everyone knows him here but it’s for a completely different reason than why everyone knows him everywhere else in the world.

         “Where is that little angel of yours? You have to bring her in.”

         “Yeah, my mom’s watching her but we’ll come back. She’s growing out of her boots, she’s getting so big.”

         “Well sure, I bet she is.”

         “This is Sari, we need to get her a nice pair.”

         “Nice to meet you darlin’” I stood up to hug her because that seems to be what everyone does around here. “You know, I knew Justin when he was three years old. He came in here with his daddy and got a nice pair of boots and he’s been coming back ever since.”

         I looked at Justin and smiled, he gave me a look as if to say ‘I told you so’. I believed him, it’s not like I thought he was a huge liar.

         “What size are you darling?”

         “I’m about an eight.”

         “Alright, stay here I’ll go find you a pair,” she answered with a smile.

         “I tollld you I’ve been here since I was a kid,” Justin said as he sat down next to me.

         “I believed you! I said you’re full of shit that you’ve been wearing them since the plane landed. I do like yours, they’re cute. Very Keith Urban.”

         “Keith Urban? You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. He ain’t no cowboy he’s from Australia.”

         “Australia has cowboys don’t they?”

         “No, they have crocodile hunters,” he answered with a chuckle, “He’s not real country music Sari, he’s not even born in the country.”

         “Now all of a sudden you’re country music?”

         He laughed and stood up, “I could be if I wanted to. I’m more of a cowboy than he is, that’s for damn sure. Stay here, I’ll go find you a pair.”

         I watched with a smile while Justin walked around the store looking for a pair of boots. There are just too many strange things happening during this trip. I almost feel like I’m living in a dream. Justin came back a few minutes later with a box of boots. He opened it up as if it were a ring box showing me a pair of bright pink cowboy boots.

         “Are you serious?” I’m definitely not a pink girl, I mean I’m not exactly a cowboy boots kind of girl either but I’m not about to wear these bright pink Barbie doll cowboy boots.

         “They’re the same as Ayden’s. Don’t you want to match?” he asked with a chuckle.

         “Not really, maybe if I was four I would love to match her but I’m not a little girl anymore,” I stood up, “Maybe I should look for my own…”

         “Oh sit down,” he pushed me back on the wooden chest, “I was joking. You’re not in control tonight, you need to get used to that. I got you a good pair,” he said as he sat down across from me and grabbed my leg, pulling my shoe off. “These are nice, they’re already worn in for you.”

         “You mean someone already owned them?”

         He laughed, I’m glad he finds everything I say so funny. “We call it vintage. They’re all vintage, are you just realizing that now? God girl, you must have hit your head hard when you passed out.”

         “You need to get over that, seriously.”

         “Well you’re asking stupid questions, come on now. I like these.”

         I looked at the boots on my feet, “I do too.”

         “Walk around,” he said as he grabbed onto my hands and pulled me up, “dance around.”

         He’s become such a huge dork. “I am not going to dance around. They feel fine.”

         Justin through his head back and took a deep breath, “Dance around, Sari. That’s the only way to see if they fit right. I’ll even dance with you, come on.”

         I laughed when he grabbed on to my hands again and danced down the aisle like he’s Elvis. It occurred to me that he wouldn’t stop until I joined so I did my best. I’ll be the first to admit that I am definitely not a dancer, I know I look like I’m having a seizure when I dance but there’s no escaping it. I know he’ll make fun of me if I do dance and if I don’t he’ll call me a party pooper. There’s no escaping it. I’m learning to pick my battles and realize when to just give in with him.

         “There you go,” Justin laughed, “You’re getting there. We’ll work on it. So these are the ones? You found a keeper?”

         I smiled and nodded my head, I kind of like them. It’s weird that I’m buying a pair of cowboy boots. I didn’t think this day would ever come, but they’re comfortable and look really cute with my jeans.

         After Justin paid I grabbed my old shoes and followed him out of the store. He grabbed onto my hand as we walked to the car, I really could get used to this.  “How’d this stop rate?”

         “Definitely better than the first.”

         “Good. I told you they’re going to keep getting better.”

         “Oh, I didn’t know they were getting better. What’s next?”

         “I’m going to call to check on Ayden quick, that’s what’s next. Then we’re going somewhere else, somewhere I’m not telling you. Maybe by the last stop you’ll get the idea of the day and stop asking,” he answered with that sexy half smile he has. I hate that smile because he looks so damn hot when he looks like that. A year ago, I hated that smile because it always meant he was up to something that would give me more work to do. It’s so weird how much things can change.

         I sat back and listened as he called his mother to make sure Ayden was behaving herself. She put Ayden on the phone and just listening to his side of the conversation makes me want to melt. He’s really done a complete 360.

         “Alright, sorry about that,” he said after hanging up his phone and starting the engine.

         “Don’t be sorry. Is everything alright?”

         “Oh yeah, she’s having fun. My mom gave her some candy so she’s going to be on a sugar high all night.”

         “Does that surprise you? Your mother spoils her more than you do.”

         “I do not spoil her,” Justin said seriously. He can’t possibly think he doesn’t spoil her. She could ask him for a pony and he’d start building a barn in a matter of seconds.

         “You can’t be serious. You spoil her so bad.”

         “I do not. You spoil her.”

         “Not uh! I don’t give her every single thing she’s asking. Sure, I want to make her happy but if she doesn’t deserve something I don’t give it to her.”

         “Uh huh. Like the time she threw her pop tart and me and I took it away and you snuck her a new one?”

         “She was hungry.”

         “Yeah, of course. If she wants to go swimming you take her swimming, if she wants a tea party she gets a tea party, complete with fresh cookies.”

         I laughed and shook my head. Sure, I guess maybe I spoil her a little when it comes to that stuff but it’s not like I buy her a bunch of stuff. “She’s too cute to say no to.”

         “Yeah, I know.” Justin laughed, “It’s dangerous. She’s going to be trouble when she’s older. I don’t know how we’re going to handle that.”

         We’re?  What does that mean exactly? We’re like because I’m still going to be working for him in ten years? Or we’re like because there’s actually going to be a we or an us.

         “Oh shit, what’d I say?” Justin asked with a quick chuckle, “You’re over thinking something. I can tell by that look in your eyes. I’m getting really good at reading you Sari, it’s so easy. You’re so predictable.”

         “I am not predictable. I’m not thinking of anything. I just think that you spoil her, and sure maybe I do a little, but you spoil her way more.”

         “Alright,” he shook his head, “Whatever you say Sari, we’ll play it like that. Miss Judy said Ayden looks just like you. She said you could be her mother. I told her you are pretty much… her mother.”

         I smiled as he finished softly. I always felt like I was kind of her mother but it feels real good to have Justin say it. That means a lot. “Whenever I used to take her out everyone thought I was her mother. I just went along with it most of the time.”

         “Yeah, I bet you did. Shit, I miss her.”

         “Me too,” I admitted.

         “How fucked up is that? We’ve been away for a little over an hour.” Justin answered with a chuckle, “I don’t know, ever since we got her back I want to spend every second with her. It’s almost like I feel like if I let her out of my sight something will happen and she’ll disappear again.”

         “She’s not going anywhere,” I assured him.

         “I know. It’s just weird.”

         I nodded my head, it is weird. I kind of feel like something could happen again even though I know in reality it won’t. It’s just scary to think that she was gone for so long and now we’re going to be paranoid that something is going to happen again. “We could go back,” I suggested.

         “No…”

         “I don’t mind taking a rain check on part three. I mean, if we can. It’s completely up to you but I don’t mind going back.”

         Justin looked at his watch and took a few seconds to think about it. “Alright, how about we just go back to tuck her in and then we’ll go to part three. It won’t take that long, we’ve got time.”

         “That sounds perfect.”

         “Sure does.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj assistant court