-October 2028- 

Kathryn hit the garage door button as she pulled her Nissan XTERRA into the driveway. She had left work early that day since her son, BJ, was expected home from his fall tour. He had been gone for almost two months and she hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks.

 

BJ was Kathryn's only child and he was her pride and joy. Her husband had passed away shortly before his 6th birthday and since then it had only been the two of them. The time had been rough but it was all worth it to watch her son grow and achieve his dreams.

 

She parked the SUV in the garage and grabbed her bag from the passenger seat. Kathryn headed inside the house. She walked to the kitchen and got started on dinner for BJ.

 

"Ma!" Kathryn heard a loud clutter as BJ dropped his bags on the floor in the hall.

 

"Brasen!" Kathryn's tone mocked his as she walked to the hall. A smile crossed over her features as she saw her son. He smiled too and wrapped his arms around in a hug. "I missed you." She kissed his cheek.

 

"I missed you too," he sighed and rocked them back and forth. Brasen pulled away with a smile.

 

"I think you grew some more," Kathryn grinned. "My little boy … all grown up." She reached up and rubbed his shoulder and back quickly. Brasen blushed. "I started some dinner. So come and talk to me. How was your trip back?"

 

"It was good," BJ yawned. "I am sooo glad to be home." He sat down at the kitchen table and watched her move to the fridge.

 

"I'm glad you're home too," Kathryn pulled out the milk carton and got out a glass. "How long are you home?" She poured him a glass of milk and walked over to where he was sitting. She handed him his glass and sat down at the table.

 

"Just for a couple of weeks," he paused. "I think." BJ took a sip of milk and set the glass down on the table top. Kathryn and BJ sat there quietly for a few minutes, just enjoying the silence.

 

"I'm so proud of you, BJ," Kathryn said wistfully. She patted his knee and stood up. "So tell me about the rest of the tour." Kathryn walked over to the stove and finished cooking their dinner. She listened with open ears while BJ told her about the shows and whatever else had kept him away.

 

Kathryn finished cooking a few minutes later and they sat down to dinner. The conversation continued through the meal before BJ excused himself to get settled in. Kathryn watched her son leave the room to move his bags. She was glad he was home.

 

"Do you need any help?" Kathryn asked. BJ walked back through the kitchen with a couple of bags over his shoulder and one in his hands.

 

"I got it," BJ answered.

 

"Okay," She rinsed off their dishes and put them in the dishwasher. "Put your dirty clothes in the laundry and I will start it later!"

 

"K!" She heard him yell.

 

-----------------------------------

 

A few hours later Kathryn was sitting at the dining room table grading papers. She could see BJ dosing off on the couch while he watched TV. He sat up a few minutes later and stretched.

 

"I'm going to bed Ma," Brasen stood up and flipped the TV off. He walked over to the table and leaned over and kissed her cheek.

 

"You sleep well," Kathryn smiled. "I love you."

 

"Love you too." BJ said. "Good night."

 

"Night," She said as he walked out of the room and headed towards the bedrooms. Kathryn stayed up a little while longer to finish grading the papers.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Brasen," Kathryn knocked on the door and opened it. She sighed seeing her son sleeping soundly. She knew that he was exhausted from being on tour. "BJ." Kathryn walked into the bedroom. He groaned and rolled over.

 

"What?" BJ responded and yawned. His eyes just barely opened.

 

"I'm leaving for work now. There's some food in the kitchen if you get hungry," She leaned over and kissed his forehead. "Get some sleep."

 

"I will," He nodded. "See you later."

 

"Bye," Kathryn smiled and walked out the door. She grabbed her bag and left the house. Kathryn arrived at the Catholic school she taught at twenty minutes later and pulled into her spot. She walked into the small building with a smile already seeing some of the students.

 

Kathryn walked into the work room and gathered her mail from her box and then headed down the hall towards her classroom. She had been teaching first grade at this school for almost nineteen years and enjoyed it immensely.

 

"Kat," Emma Carter, her colleague, stopped her in the hall.

 

"Hey Emma," Kathryn smiled. "What can I do for you?"

 

"Did Brasen get home okay?" She asked.

 

"Yeah he did. Thanks for asking and thanks again for watching my class yesterday afternoon," Kathryn said.

 

"You're welcome," Emma said. "We're still going to watch 'Tarzan' at two right?"

 

"Yeah," Kathryn answered, "in my room."

 

"K," Emma disappeared into her classroom. Kathryn unlocked her room door and step inside. She flipped on the lights and set her bag down on the desk. She pulled out the papers she had graded last night and started to walk around the room placing them on the proper desks.

 

Kathryn finished getting ready for the day just in time for the first of her students to show up.

 

"Hi Mrs. Kelly!" Anna said coming into the room. A bright smile was across her face.

 

"Good morning Anna. How are you?"

 

"Good," Anna answered and hung her bag up in the back of the classroom. She sat down at her desk. The other students trickled in for the next ten minutes before the final bell rang.

 

"Good morning," Kathryn smiled at her students. They settled down after a few minutes. "How are you all today?" A chorus of "goods" was heard in response. "Good," She sat down on her stool at the front of the room.

 

"Today we are going to start with our spelling test and then work on some reading. So go ahead and get out a sheet of paper and write you name on it."

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Brasen!" Kathryn yelled. She walked farther into the house. There was no response, Kathryn headed towards the bedrooms and opened his bedroom door. "BJ?"

 

"Huh?" He groaned.

 

"Did you stay in here all day?"

 

"Yeah," Brasen answered and yawned.

 

"Should we go and get some dinner?"

 

"Sure," He sat up. Kathryn watched as he stretched before putting his feet on the ground. "Let me take a shower though." He walked over to his dresser.

 

"That's fine. I want to change anyway." Kathryn answered. "So whenever you are ready we can go. You pick."

 

"Cool," Brasen smiled.

 

Brasen took his shower while Kathryn changed out of her work clothes and they headed out almost thirty minutes later. Brasen drove them to The Olive Garden.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story