- May 2030 - 

After mass the following Sunday, Kathryn waited for the sanctuary to clear out. She walked to the back of the church and lit three of the candles, one of which was for Travis. Kathryn kneeled down on the kneeler and quietly thought to herself.

 

‘Travis, I know you’ve been taking care of me and Brasen for many years now, and I appreciate it so much. I still miss you, but I know that it has faded over the years, and especially recently. I’m sure you have watched Justin too, and he is so sweet. I know the two of you would have gotten along great.

 

‘I just think that it is time to let go. Really let go, since I am getting married next Saturday. Can you believe that? I never thought I would remarry after I lost you, but it’s happening. Justin has been one of the best things, and it’s nice to know that I will have someone around, since BJ is gone so much now.

 

‘I love you Travis. Keep watching BJ for me when I can’t be there. And I’ll be seeing you again.’

 

Just as she was finishing up her prayer, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Kathryn turned around and smiled seeing the priest.

 

“Hello Father,” She said quietly.

 

“Are you doing okay Kathryn?” He asked.

 

“Yes, just saying a good-bye to Travis.” Kathryn answered and looked through her purse. She found a tissue and dabbed at her eyes. “It’s sad, but it finally really feels right. You know?”

 

“Yeah,” The Father answered with a nod. “Would you like to talk about it?”

 

“I think I’ll be fine.” She answered as they walked out of the sanctuary and into the foyer. “Just so many changes are happening this week.” He nodded and let her continue talking. “With me leaving the school, which I am going to miss terribly. And my time at this parish is ending faster then I had hoped. And I’m getting married again.”

 

“Are you coming to the wedding? I know it’s not a Catholic service, but … I just,” She trailed off.

 

“I was planning on coming,” He smiled. “You’re happy though?”

 

“I couldn’t be happier. I would have loved to be married here again, but Justin’s not Catholic. And I don’t want to force that on him.” Kathryn said.

 

“Understandable. I’m sure it will be a beautiful service. We are going to miss seeing you around. You have done a lot for the parish, especially the school. You’re welcome back anytime.”

 

“I’ll be around, when Brasen is in town, for visits.” Kathryn smiled. “I better get home with breakfast. I’ll see you around this week. Mass on Wednesday like always?” She asked.

 

“Of course,” he answered with a smile. “I’ll see you Kathryn. Have a good day.”

 

“You too,” Kathryn pushed the door open and walked outside to her SUV. She got in and started the engine. Kathryn left the nearly empty parking lot and stopped at a donut shop on her way home. Justin was up now, and watching some TV.

 

“Hey sweetie. How was church?” He stood up when she walked into the room. Kathryn set the box of croissants down on the coffee table and wrapped her arms around Justin.

 

“It was good. I talked to Father for a little bit, which is why I am a little late.” They kissed. “What did you do this morning?”

 

“Slept and watched TV. What did you bring for breakfast?”

 

“Ham and cheese croissants. What would you like to drink?”

 

“Whatever you are having.” Justin answered. Kathryn disappeared and came back a couple of minutes later with some napkins and two glasses of orange juice. Kathryn sat down on the couch next to Justin, and they settled in for some breakfast and TV watching.

 

-----------------------------------

 

“Why are you crying Mrs. Kelly?” He asked. Her class was having their end of the year party, and it was really hitting her that this would be her last.

 

“Remember how I told you guys that I wasn’t going to be here next year?” She asked and he nodded. “I’m just sad that I won’t be back. I’m going to miss all of you.”

 

“I’m gonna miss you too,” The little boy hugged her. Kathryn gave him a hug too and then he ran off to go get a piece of pizza too. Kathryn watched the class settle down at their tables and eat. She was happy to see them excited about their summer vacations. Kathryn moved to the table where she helped one of the girls cut her pizza into pieces.

 

The party ended an hour later and Kathryn sent her students off for one last time. She hung out outside of the building, and made sure that every student was picked up, before going in to start packing. Kathryn unfolded a box and set it on top of the counter. She looked around the room, and took it all in.

 

She had so many memories from this classroom, and was reminded of so many students. Kathryn pulled a tissue out of the box on her desk and wiped her eyes quickly.

 

“Are you okay?” Emma asked as she walked into the classroom.

 

“Yeah,” Kathryn nodded. “I’m just thinking about everything. This year went so fast. There’s a lot to do too.”

 

“Do you want some help?” She asked and sat down on the counter.

 

“I think I can manage.” Kathryn answered. “I was just going to get rid of things that I don’t need and no one needs, let you guys go through stuff I think you could use, and pack up my personal items.” She walked over to her desk and sat down in the chair.

 

“Can I look through your activity and workbooks?” Emma asked.

 

“Yeah, take what you want and just toss what you don’t.” Kathryn nodded. She pulled open the bottom desk drawer and started looking through the files. She sorted out the papers that she thought she might need and threw out the trash.

 

“Are you excited about this weekend?”

 

“Of course,” Kathryn answered. “It’s a whole new life, that I am ready to begin.” She looked at the picture of Justin and Brasen on her desk. It had been taken at an after party for the Grammy Awards, which she found in a magazine, and put in a frame. There was a picture of her and Justin as well, and one of BJ when he was a baby.

 

Kathryn put the photos in the box and finished packing up her personal stuff. She closed the box and looked at the clock.

 

“I am going to head out. Justin picked BJ up from the airport this morning, and I want to spend some time with him.” Kathryn said. “Just lock the door when you are done, and feel free to go through anything in that cabinet if you want.”

 

“Will do. Say hi to them for me, and I’ll see you bright and early tomorrow for a fun day of meetings and cleaning.” Emma smiled.

 

“You’ll be in meetings, I’ll just be packing,” Kathryn smiled sadly. She picked up her jacket, bag, and the box and headed for the door. “See you later.” Kathryn headed out to her car, which was parked in the back lot. She set the box on the ground, found her keys in her bag and unlocked the door. Kathryn slid the box onto the backseat and then got in herself.

 

Kathryn smiled seeing Justin and Brasen standing in the driveway. Justin was bouncing a basketball, while Brasen stood there talking about something. Kathryn parked the car on the road and got out. She grabbed the box out of the backseat and walked around the front of the car and up the drive.

 

“Hey sweetie,” Kathryn said and kissed Justin on the lips.

 

“I’ll take that,” He tossed the basketball onto the grass and grabbed the box from her hands.

 

“Thanks.” Kathryn smiled and watched him walk towards the house. “Hi BJ.” Kathryn wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheek. “How was your flight home?”

 

“It was great,” Brasen said. “I missed you.”

 

“I missed you too,” Kathryn said. “Are you going to come inside? Or are you and Justin playing basketball?”

 

“We were just out here,” He shrugged. “Let’s go in. There’s someone who wants to see you anyway.”

 

“Who is that?” She asked. Brasen shrugged again and put his hand on the small of her back pushing her to go. He bent over and grabbed the basketball and then followed her into the house. Kathryn opened the door and smiled seeing Seven sitting in the living room.

 

“Seven, I thought you weren’t coming in until tomorrow night,” Kathryn said.

 

“BJ invited me to come home with him. I hope that’s okay.” She said.

 

“You are welcome in my home anytime.” Kathryn walked over to her and leaned over to give her a hug. “I am so glad you could come to the wedding.”

 

“Me too,” Seven smiled.

 

“Should we go out for an early dinner?” Justin asked.

 

“Sure, let me go change into something more comfortable.” Kathryn answered.

 

“I have something to say first,” BJ said just as she was turning to leave the living room.

 

“What’s that?” Kathryn asked with a smile.

 

“Seven and I are dating,” He answered.

 

“That’s wonderful,” She bounced on her toes a little bit as she walked over to the two of them. “I am so happy.” Kathryn kissed each of their cheeks. “We’re going out to celebrate that.”

 

“I’m glad you’re okay with it,” Seven said.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Kathryn asked. “I adore you Seven, and I think you and BJ are perfect for each other.” She smiled again at each of them, before turning and walking out of the room to change for dinner.

 

---------------------------------

 

“It seems so small,” BJ said. He and Seven had come with Kathryn to the school, to help her pack up the rest of her things.

 

“Well, that’s because you’ve grown so much,” Kathryn smiled. “This is the school and church Brasen grew up in.” She said to Seven.

 

“That’s so cool,” Seven said and reached for Brasen’s hand and gave it a squeeze. Brasen kissed her on the cheek. “I wish I was raised in a church like this.” Kathryn smiled at that as she unlocked her classroom door. She opened it and flipped on the lights.

 

“Where should we start?” Seven asked excitedly.

 

“If you guys would take the posters off of the walls that would be great.” Kathryn said. “Just make a pile on the counter and I will leave them there for everyone to go through.” She walked over to her desk and the bookshelf behind it. Brasen and Seven got started on taking the posters off of the wall, while she looked through the books there.

 

They worked all morning, and were interrupted a few times by some of the other teachers. Justin came by early afternoon, on his way back from the airport, where he had picked up his daughters. He helped Brasen take some boxes out to Kathryn’s XTERRA.

 

“Why don’t me and Seven take the girls and your stuff home, and you and Justin can hang out here for a bit,” BJ suggested. They had finished packing up the room and getting rid of things a couple of hours later.

 

“Thank you,” Kathryn said. She gave him a hug and smiled when he kissed her cheek. “We’ll be home in a little bit.” Brasen and Seven headed out of the room with Claire and Kelsey. Kathryn looked around the room, with Justin watching her the entire time.

 

“Are you okay?” Justin asked quietly. He moved to lean against the now empty desk.

 

“Yeah,” Kathryn nodded. She moved closer to him and let him wrap his arms around her. She rested her head on his shoulder. “It’s just sad to see this part of my life come to an end.”

 

“I know,” He ran his fingers through her hair and kissed her forehead. He continued to hold her until she pulled away. Kathryn looked around again, and they stood in silence.

 

“Let’s go,” She sucked in a deep breath and let it out. Kathryn reached for his hand and they walked to the door. She hit the light switch one last time and closed the door. They stopped in the office so she could drop of a few things and say some goodbyes.

 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story