-November 2028- 

"Mom! It's time to go," Brasen knocked on her hotel room door. They were in Los Angeles for the American Music Awards. Brasen was nominated for Best New Artist and was going to perform that night as well.

 

"Brasen," Kathryn pulled the door open as she put her purse over her shoulder. "Hold you horses."

 

"I am," He smiled nervously.

 

"Don't worry. I will never be able to say this enough, but I am so proud of you." Kathryn reached up and touched his cheek. "I love you and no matter what you are still the best."

 

"Thanks," BJ grinned. Kathryn pulled the door closed behind her and they walked to the elevators. There was a limo waiting for them out front.

 

"This is so exciting," Kathryn said, "Thanks." She smiled at the chauffer who held the door open as she got in. Brasen climbed in after her and the door closed behind him.

 

"I'm so nervous," BJ bounced his knee up and down.

 

"You'll be great." Kathryn patted his knee. They headed towards the venue in silence. The limo pulled up to the red carpet almost forty-five minutes later. She looked over at her son and smiled. "Take a deep breath." Brasen did just that as the door opened. He smiled at her and slid out of the vehicle.

 

Kathryn could hear and see all of the reporters and fans. She took a deep breath herself before following Brasen's lead. Brasen wrapped his arm through hers and they started to walk. Kathryn stood behind him as the reporters asked him questions.

 

"Who is your date tonight?" One asked.

 

"This is my Mom," He grabbed her hand and pulled her so she was standing next to him.

 

"Hi," Kathryn said shyly.

 

"Are you excited for your son?"

 

"Of course I'm excited for him," she squeezed his hand. "I couldn't be more proud." They finished the interview shortly after that and were ushered inside to their seats.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"And the nominees are …" The Best New Artist category was up. Kathryn watched Brasen as the presenter listed off the artists nominated. He reached over and grabbed her hand. She gave his a reassuring squeeze.

 

"And the winner is …" The presenter fumbled with the envelope for a minute. "BJ Kelly."

 

Kathryn smiled at her son's shocked look. She stood up with him and gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek.

 

"Congratulations Brasen," Kathryn said and patted him on the back. He grinned. She moved out of the way so he could get out of the narrow row and into the isle. Kathryn sat down as he walked up the steps. She reached into her bag for a tissue to wipe her eyes.

 

"Wow," He stood at the podium. "Thanks to everyone … my manager, the record label, the fans, both of my fathers in heaven for blessing me with this passion, and my Ma - just thanks." BJ looked at Kathryn through the whole thing. He smiled seeing her wipe her eyes. "Thank you." He waved and followed the others backstage.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Our next performer was your favorite new artist tonight, for the first time at the AMA's, BJ Kelly." The curtain went up to reveal Brasen sitting on a stool with his guitar in hand and his band behind him.

 

The opening cords to the song On and On started and Kathryn smiled. She had no clue that this was what he was going to be singing that night. Brasen knew how much it meant to her every time he performed the song.

 You are the sunshineI am the rain that falls in lineYou are a candleAnd I am your darknessYou are the moonlightI am the cloud that passes byYou are a visionAnd I am blindness And so it goesThe story is far too old to know it all On and on, we dance until the song is off the radioOn and on, we hold each other long after the crowd is goneOn and on, our love goes on and on You are an islandI am the raging of the seaYou are the fortressAnd I am abandonedYou are the valleyYou are a bird that flies so highYou are a templeAnd I am a beggar And so it goesThe story is far too old to know it all On and on, we dance until the song is off the radioOn and on, we hold each other long after the crowd is goneOn and on, our love goes on and on Take me to your drawbridge, come take me to your doorTake me when I'm hungry baby, take me when I'm poorTake me when I'm sick of love, take me when you've had enoughTake me when I'm lost, alone, and don't know the reasons why 

Kathryn sighed happily as she watched him walk off the stage. The crowd's applause showed how much they enjoyed the song. She really was proud of him.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Are you sure wanna go Ma?" BJ asked uncertainly. "We don't have to." It was after the awards show had ended and they were on their way to the after party that his record label was throwing.

 

"This is your night BJ," Kathryn smiled. "We can go. I'll survive." She patted his thigh before turning her head to look out the window.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"You're looking a little lonely." Kathryn looked up and her eyes widened in shock when she realized who was talking to her. Kathryn had been sitting at a table, with her drink, watching Brasen chat with the other people at the party.

 

"I'm fine," She smiled. "I enjoy people watching."

 

"Mind if I join you?" He asked. She shook her head 'no.' "Great." He sat down in the chair next to her. "Justin Timberlake."

 

"I know," She shook his hand when he offered. "Kathryn Kelly."

 

"BJ is …" He had made the connection.

 

"My son," She finished for him.

 

"You look really young," Justin said.

 

"I'll take that as a compliment," She picked up her tea and took a sip. "I had him when I was twenty-six."

 

Justin nodded.

 

"So were you up for an award? I've already forgotten," Kathryn smiled and yawned.

 

"No," Justin laughed, "I just came to watch and maybe get in a dance or two." He hinted.

 

"Oh man," she looked at her watch. "I haven't been up this late since Brasen's father won a Dove Award twenty years ago." He laughed again.

 

"Where's his father?" Justin asked and then added, "If you don't mind me asking."

 

"Not at all," Kathryn smiled. "He passed away twelve years ago.

 

"So that explains the two fathers in heaven …" Justin trailed off as Kathryn nodded. They sat quietly for a few minutes. "Would you like to dance?"

 

"Sure," Kathryn answered. Justin set his drink down on the table and stood up. He pulled Kathryn's chair out for her. "Thank you."

 

"You don't mind?" Justin asked because as they stepped out onto the floor a slow song started.

 

"No," Kathryn shook her head.

 

"So what was that song BJ sang?" He asked.

 

"On and On." Kathryn answered. "It's my favorite song by Kevin Max. It was mine and my husband's song. I was thrilled when Kevin said that Brasen could do it on his album. It was a complete surprise to hear it tonight."

 

"What was your husband's name?"

 

"Travis," Kathryn answered, "He was a Christian music producer and had worked with many Christian artists."

 

"Is that where BJ gets his talent?"

 

"Well he certainly didn't get it from me," Kathryn laughed.

 

"So what do you do Miss Kathryn?"

 

"I teach first grade at a Catholic school in Tennessee."

 

"I thought I caught an accent," Justin grinned.

 

"It's bad. I know." Kathryn blushed.

 

"I like it," he smiled. "So where do you live, in Tennessee?"

 

"Franklin. I actually grew up in Texas, went to school in Arkansas, and shortly after I met Travis I moved out there. I love it there and its home for Brasen," She explained.

 

"I understand that. Memphis is still home for me." Justin stated. They finished the dance and Justin walked with her back to the table. "Thank you for the dance." He smiled.

 

"You're welcome," Kathryn smiled too.

 

"Ma, are you ready to go?" Brasen asked as he approached the table they were standing at.

 

"Yeah, are you?" BJ nodded. "Okay … Oh Justin this is my son, Brasen. Brasen this is Justin Timberlake."

 

"I know Mom," He rolled his eyes with a smile. "Nice to meet you." Brasen held out his hand for Justin to take.

 

"You too. Congratulations on your award," Justin smiled, "and the performance was great."

 

"Thanks," BJ looked down at his Mom. "Shall we?"

 

Kathryn nodded. "It was great meeting you and thanks again for the dance."

 

"Let me give you my number," Justin fumbled around in his pocket for a minute. He pulled out a small piece of paper. "Do you have a pen?"

 

"Yeah," Kathryn answered and pulled out a pen from her small bag. She handed it to Justin and he wrote down his number. He handed her the slip and the pen. She tore it in half and wrote down her number for him.

 

"Thanks," he smiled as she handed it to him.

 

"Talk to you later," Kathryn said. She and BJ walked out of the party.

 

"So you're picking up guys now, Ma?" BJ asked as they got into the limo that would take them back to their hotel.

 

"BJ," Kathryn said.

 

"I'm just kidding." Brasen said defensively and added, "He seems cool."

 

"Who was that lovely girl you were talking to pretty much all night?" She asked.

 

"Seven McGinnis," He answered.

 

"Okay," Kathryn nodded. "Did you have a good night?" She patted his knee.

 

"It was awesome. I still can't believe that I won."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story