-February 2029- 

The phone rang and Kathryn waited to see if Brasen would pick it up. He did after the second ring.

 

"Ma! It's for you." BJ yelled and walked into the kitchen with the cordless phone.

 

"Thanks," She said as he handed her the phone.

 

"Hello?" Kathryn asked as she put the phone to her ear.

 

"Hey Kat," She recognized his voice right away. Justin and she had been talking to each other a lot since the AMA's and he had taken it upon himself to call her Kat.

 

"Hi Justin, how are you?" Kathryn asked. She walked out of the kitchen and sat down at the dining room table. The Sunday paper was laid out before her, and she set her coffee mug down.

 

"I am doing great," Justin answered, "You?"

 

"Good too." Kathryn answered. "What's up?"

 

"Well, I am going to be in Tennessee for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if we could get together." He explained.

 

"That'd be great, but I wouldn't be able to make it out to Memphis." She automatically assumed that's where he'd be.

 

"I am going to be out in Nashville," Justin answered.

 

"Great," She started to feel excited. "Well I'm free any day after 4:30 or on the weekend."

 

"Okay," He thought about it for a moment. She could here paper shuffling. "Wednesday at six? I could come pick you up."

 

"Sure." She smiled even though he couldn't see her. She gave him directions to her house and they finished the conversation shortly.

 

"Who was that?" Brasen asked curiously from where he was sitting on the couch.

 

"Justin." Kathryn answered and looked down at the newspaper.

 

"You guys talk?" BJ sounded surprised.

 

"Yeah, what's wrong with that? Are you jealous?" She raised an eyebrow.

 

"Oh - No - Ma!" Brasen stumbled over his words. Kathryn laughed. She stood up and walked over to him. Kathryn leaned over the back of the couch.

 

"It's okay. My baby boy will always be number one Beej." She playfully pinched his cheeks and followed with a kiss. Brasen rolled his eyes with a groan. Kathryn laughed.

 

"He's going to be in Nashville this week and we are going out on Wednesday," Kathryn explained as she walked back over to the table. She sat down and picked up her drink.

 

"Do you like him?" BJ asked.

 

"Honestly?" She looked at him.

 

"Yes," He nodded.

 

"I do," Kathryn nodded. "Are you okay with that?"

 

"Ma, what does it matter?" He closed his eyes and leaned back against the couch. "You're 45."

 

"Uck … don't remind me. I haven't dated in years. I just want to make sure you're okay with that." Kathryn took a sip of her drink.

 

"I am." Brasen answered.

 

"Okay," Kathryn was still unsure but she wasn't going to press the issue.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Hey Justin," Kathryn smiled and pulled the door open for him to come in. "Did you find the house okay?"

 

"Yeah," He answered with a smile. "It's nice to see you finally."

 

"I know." Kathryn responded as he hugged her.

 

"You're house is cozy," Justin stated and followed her into the living room.

 

"Thanks. Travis and I bought this house together before Brasen was born." Kathryn smiled at the memory.

 

"Where is BJ off too?" He asked.

 

"Oh I don't even know," She laughed, "I think NYC, his schedule is on the fridge. He was home for the weekend and then off again."

 

"I know the feeling," Justin smiled.

 

"So what do you feel like eating? There's this great sandwich shop downtown. We can just walk to it," Kathryn suggested, "It's just 15 minutes away."

 

"Sounds good."

 

"Okay. Let me get my jacket and stuff." She disappeared out of the room and came back a few seconds later. "Shall we?"

 

"Sure." He answered. They stepped out onto the porch and Kathryn pulled the door closed. She locked it behind them and they walked down the front walk. "It's pretty nice out today." Justin stated.

 

"Yeah," Kathryn looked down at the snow covered ground. "I love this weather." She took in a deep breath and let it out through her mouth.

 

"It's nice," Justin wrapped his arm around her waist. "I never thought I'd be able to walk down a street without getting approached for something."

 

"That's what I like about here. Brasen doesn't get bothered here and Travis never did either. People are so used to seeing Christian artists out and about that they don't even flinch really." Kathryn smiled. They walked the rest of the way to the store in silence. Justin pulled the glass door open for her and she stepped inside. He followed her in.

 

"Miss Kathryn."

 

"Mr. Mckeehan," Kathryn grinned. "How are you doing Toby?"

 

"I'm doing great. I hear that Brasen is taking the mainstream world by storm," The two of them hugged. Justin watched her interact with this older man.

 

"And Truett is doing the same for Christian music." Kathryn smiled. Justin cleared his throat from behind her. "Oh sorry. Justin this is Toby McKeehan. Toby this is Justin Timberlake."

 

"Nice to meet you," Justin and Toby shook hands.

 

"You've got some good stuff man," Toby complemented Justin.

 

"Thanks." Justin said.

 

"Toby here are your sandwiches." Toby turned around and grabbed the bag from the man behind the counter. "Have a nice evening."

 

"You too. It was nice seeing you Kathryn, tell Brasen I said hello, and it was nice to meet you Justin." Toby nodded.

 

"Tell Amanda I said hi, and give the kids my love," Kathryn smiled.

 

"I will." Toby smiled and walked out of the restaurant.

 

"He seems cool," Justin looked at Kathryn.

 

"He's a sweetie, Travis worked with him. I'll give you a copy of his CD's later," Kathryn grinned and looked up at the menu. "So what do you want to eat? My treat."

 

"You're treat huh? Then I'll have -" Justin trailed off as his eyes read over the menu. They ordered their food and then sat down at a table by the window. The two of them ate their sandwiches, with light conversation in between bites, and then headed back to Kathryn's house.

 

"So when do you need to head back tonight?" Kathryn asked. They were sitting at her dinning room table drinking coffee.

 

"Anytime, I have a meeting at 1:30 tomorrow afternoon and that is it," Justin answered. "So are you going to loan me Toby's CDs?"

 

"Oh yeah," Kathryn stood up. "Let me put them in and we can listen to him for a little bit." She walked over to the entertainment center and pulled out a few CD's. Justin watched her take the discs out of their cases and put them in the stereo.

 

"Would you be interested in going to the Grammy's with me?"

 

"Those are in a couple of weeks, right?" She hit play and adjusted the volume before walking back over to the table. Kathryn sat back down next to him. She reached for her coffee mug and took a small sip.

 

"Yeah, I know it is short notice and all, but I would love for you to be my date." Justin stated.

 

"It sounds like fun, I'll take off of work," Kathryn reached over and rested her hand on top of his. "I'll be able to check up on Brasen." She grinned and Justin chuckled.

 

"Why's that?" He asked curiously.

 

"He is going with that girl; ummm … what is her name? Oh yeah, Seven McGinnis." Kathryn answered. "He was talking to her at the AMA's." Justin nodded and then smiled. "What?" She asked unsure of the look on his face.

 

"I like you Kat," Justin turned his hand over so he could squeeze hers.

 

"I like you too," She blushed.

 

"So it'd be okay if-" His voice trailed off as he leaned closer and kissed her. He could taste the coffee on her lips and smiled as he pulled away. Kathryn sighed and kept her eyes closed for a few seconds. "Was that okay?" He asked as she opened her eyes.

 

"Yeah," Kathryn answered quietly. She leaned back in and kissed him again.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Oh man, it's getting late," Kathryn covered her mouth when she yawned.

 

"What time do you have to be up?" Justin asked looking at the clock.

 

"6:00," She answered.

 

"I should get going then," He stood up and stretched. Kathryn stood up too. She walked with him to the front door where he picked up his jacket. "Good night Kat," Justin said and gave her quick kiss.

 

"Night and call me when you get back to the hotel so I know that you made it back safely," She smiled.

 

"I will." He said, "See you later." Justin turned and walked out the door. Kathryn watched him get into his car and drive away. She closed and locked the door behind her.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Did you tell BJ that you were coming tonight?" Justin asked.

 

"No. So he'll be surprised if we run into him," Kathryn answered. She leaned up against Justin. They were in a limo on their way to the Grammy's.

 

"That's cool." Justin kissed the top of her head. They rode the rest of the way in silence. Justin helped her out of the limo when they pulled up to the red carpet.

 

"Thank you," Kathryn smiled. He put his arm around her waist loosely as they stopped for pictures.

 

"Are you okay with taking pictures?" Justin asked her.

 

"Yeah," Kathryn nodded as they walked further down the red carpet. She saw BJ ahead of them. "There's Brasen." Kathryn pointed and Justin nodded. They stopped so Justin could talk to some reporters.

 

"Who are you here with tonight?" He asked Justin.

 

"This is Kathryn Kelly," Justin answered.

 

"You're BJ's Mom?"

 

"Yes," Kathryn smiled.

 

"So are you two-" He trailed off and waited for an answer. Kathryn and Justin looked at each other. Kathryn shrugged and let him answer.

 

"We're dating," Justin answered. Kathryn smiled and squeezed his hand. Brasen turned around at that moment and Kathryn waved. He smiled and waved back. "Do you want to go talk to him?"

 

"Of course I do," Kathryn answered.

 

"Excuse us," Justin said to the reporter and the two of them walked towards Brasen and his date, Seven.

 

"Ma, you didn't tell me you were coming." Brasen sounded shocked as the two of them walked up. He dropped Seven's hand and hugged her.

 

"I thought I would surprise you," She smiled at his date. "Are you going to introduce me?"

 

"Yes," He rolled his eyes. "Ma, this is Seven. Seven this is my Mom and Justin Timberlake."

 

"Nice to meet Seven," Kathryn said, "You can call me Kathryn."

 

"I will," Seven answered.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Did you have fun?" Justin asked. They were outside of Kathryn's hotel room.

 

"Yes I did. Thank you for inviting me," She smiled.

 

"You're welcome." He smiled too. "Breakfast tomorrow?"

 

"Sure. Ill be up, so whenever." She shrugged. "Sleep well."

 

"I will," Justin kissed her and watched as she disappeared into her hotel room.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story