-November 2029- 

"Hey," Kathryn said. Justin stepped inside and kissed her. Kathryn's arms wrapped around him, as she moved closer. "I missed you." They hadn't seen each other since the end of September since he had been away and she had been busy with work.

 

"I missed you too." He said and leaned his forehead against hers. They kissed again. Brasen cleared his throat as he came around the corner.

 

"What's going on Justin?" Brasen asked. He couldn't help but grin when he saw his Mom blush.

 

"Not a whole lot." Justin smiled, "your Mom didn't say you were coming home."

 

"It was a surprise," BJ shrugged.

 

"And yet he's spent the whole time holed up in his room with his guitar," Kathryn grinned and squeezed BJ's forearm. "My two favorite guys under the same roof."

 

"So what are you working on?" Justin asked and kissed Kathryn's cheek.

 

"It's this song I've had in my head, but I just can't get it down," Brasen explained. "Maybe you can help?"

 

"I'd love too," Justin answered with a smile.

 

"Awesome." Brasen grinned. He started talking to Justin about it as they disappeared around the corner. Kathryn shook her head and smiled to herself. She was glad that the two of them got along with each other.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"Time for dinner boys," Kathryn said after opening the door to the spare room, which was basically Brasen's as well. Justin was sitting on a spare kitchen chair with one of Travis' old guitars and Brasen sat on the couch with his guitar.

 

"We'll be there in a minute," Brasen looked up with a smile. Justin smiled too.

 

"Okay," Kathryn disappeared.

 

"BJ," Justin said after he heard Kathryn back in the kitchen. Brasen looked up at Justin. "I have a question."

 

"What's that?" He asked.

 

"I want to ask your Mom to marry me and I need to know if you're okay with that." Justin stated.

 

"I am," Brasen smiled. "You make her happy and since I'm not around very much anymore she needs someone."

 

"You do realize that I'm gone almost as much as you are."

 

"I know," He shrugged and set his guitar down. "So when are you going to ask her?"

 

"I was thinking tonight," Justin set the guitar down in its stand.

 

"Cool. I'll be out in a second, I'm gonna pick up in here." Brasen said.

 

"K," Justin walked out of the room and down the hall. Kathryn was already sitting at the table waiting for them. "Where should I sit?" He asked.

 

"Right here." Kathryn patted the wood chair next to her. Justin sat down.

 

"So BJ sits at the head of the table huh?" He asked.

 

"Yeah. When Travis died Brasen always wanted to sit there, so it's his spot." Kathryn smiled at her son as he came into the room. Brasen sat down.

 

"Are we going to pray?" Brasen asked.

 

"Since when have we not prayed before our meals?" Kathryn asked.

 

"Oops," He shrugged.

 

"Brasen-"

 

"Ma-"

 

"Who leads?" Justin jumped in before the two got into an argument about it. Kathryn, he had realized, had raised BJ in a very spiritual household.

 

"Brasen?" Kathryn questioned in a motherly tone.

 

"Yes Ma," Brasen lowered his head and led their grace.

 

"Thank you," Kathryn said when he was finished. They ate dinner quickly and chatted throughout the meal. Brasen disappeared back to the spare room, while Justin helped Kathryn clean up in the kitchen.

 

"Are you going to come to mass with us tomorrow?" Kathryn asked. She handed him a plate and he put it in the dishwasher. "Don't feel obligated to come, but you are welcome to join us." She smiled.

 

"I'd love too," Justin smiled as he put the last dish in. "Where's your soap?"

 

"It's under the sink," Kathryn moved out of the way as she dried her hands. Justin put the soap in and started the dishwasher.

 

"So I have a question for you," he took a step closer to her and wrapped his arms around her.

 

"What's that?" Kathryn asked with a smile. Justin kissed her and reached into his pocket.

 

"You know I love you," She nodded. "We've only been dating for about nine months, but this feels right. Kathryn?"

 

"Yeah?" She had and idea of what he was going to ask.

 

"Will you marry me?" Justin asked and showed her the ring.

 

"Yes." Kathryn answered.

 

"Let me see your hand," Justin grinned. Kathryn held up her hand.

 

"Do I have to take this ring off?" She asked referring to the ring from hers and Travis' wedding.

 

"Nope," Justin slipped the ring onto her finger and adjusted it so the rings lined up the way they were supposed to. The ring Travis had given her had one diamond; while the one Justin gave her had two. The two diamonds lined up on either side of the one, yet rested on their own band. "Is that comfortable?"

 

"Yeah." Kathryn nodded and looked at the two rings side-by-side.

 

"I know that ring is special to you." He smiled.

 

"Thank you," Kathryn wrapped her arms around his neck. They kissed. "Love you."

 

"Did she say yes?" Brasen stuck his head in the kitchen.

 

"Yeah," Justin answered.

 

"Are you okay with this?"

 

"Of course, Justin's cool," BJ smiled. "So can I have the house?" Kathryn and Justin laughed.

 

"We'll talk about that later." Kat shook her head and rested it against Justin's shoulder. Justin kissed the top of her head and continued to hold her.

 

-----------------------------------

 

"What are your plans for Thanksgiving?" Justin asked. They were at a local restaurant for breakfast after mass the following morning. Kathryn and Justin were seated on one side of the table and Brasen sat across from them.

 

"BJ is going to be home, and we'll just have our small dinner like usual. Why?" Kathryn asked as she reached for her glass of orange juice.

 

"You should come out to Memphis," He suggested.

 

"What do you think BJ?" Kathryn asked her son. Brasen shrugged. "I guess that is a yes."

 

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but can she get an autograph?"

 

"Sure" Brasen's face lit up. Kathryn grinned it was the first time he'd smiled that morning since he was woken up so early. "What's your name?"

 

"She just loves his stuff," The girl's mother struck up a conversation with Justin and Kathryn while Brasen chatted with the girl. "And I don't always understand why."

 

"I don't think parents always enjoy the things their children listen too. Trust me," Kathryn smiled and put her left hand on Justin's knee and squeezed it. "I wasn't too happy the day Brasen started listening to mainstream music after listening to Christian music his entire life."

 

Justin snickered and Kathryn looked at him.

 

"And I am sure there were things you listened to that your mother did not particularly enjoy."

 

"She listened to all of it too," Justin laughed, "And if my memory serves me correct, you were a fan of someone …"

 

"Oh hush," Kathryn pinched his knee. He grabbed her hand and pulled it off of his knee with a light squeeze.

 

"You two are adorable," She said. "Are you married? I've noticed the ring on your finger when we were watching the AMA's last year."

 

"No," Kathryn answered, "It's the ring that Brasen's father gave me."

 

She nodded and looked down at her daughter, "Are you ready to go?"

 

"Yes," she answered. "Thank you BJ."

 

"You're welcome Taylor."

 

"It was nice talking to you. Thanks for letting us interrupt and for the autograph," She grabbed her daughters hand and walked away.

 

"Well she was nice," Kathryn smiled. Justin nodded in agreement and reached for the check as their waiter set it down.

 

"You two are adorable," Brasen mocked and added a little squeal at the end. Justin laughed and Kathryn kicked him underneath the table, before laughing herself. "You know who's adorable?"

 

"Not you, BJ." Kathryn smiled. BJ groaned and stood up so he could stretch. Justin chuckled and stood up himself. Kathryn followed the two to the counter where Justin paid for their breakfast and they left.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story