Author's Chapter Notes:

First, thank you SO much to whoever it is that nominated me for the awards! :) I'm very excited, it's so cool. Thank you, thank you! <3

Second, this chapter could either be a complete success or a complete mistake. haha I'm taking a chance here and I really, really hope I don't screw it up. I'm getting these twitches because people actually like this story and I'm afraid I'm going to screw it up haha. I hope this chapter doesn't suck lol... with that... be warned... Please let me know what you're thinking with this one, i'll take the negative and the positive haha.  

         It was ten o’clock in the morning when I got the phone call from the police station telling me they had Gabe. I tried not to get too excited since it wasn’t the first time I got that phone call. It’s hard to take them seriously and I swear if he’s not there this time I might just go get him myself. I still don’t feel comfortable bringing Brady to school so Justin called Trace and Rachael and luckily for me they were happy to watch Brady. They’re both pretty amazing with him; Rachael even went shopping and bought him some new clothes since we can’t go back to my apartment just yet.

         My heart was beating through my chest as we walked through the station.  “Come on in, how are you? He’s being very cooperative so we’re going to question him but we wanted to wait for you.”

         He’s being cooperative? Then it can’t be Gabe. “Are you sure it’s him?”

         “Yes ma’am, go ahead in.”

         I stopped at the doorway when I saw Gabe through the glass, sitting up straight with his hands on the table wearing a black suit and tie.

         “That’s him?” Justin asked softly. I nodded my head and he grabbed onto my hand and led me to a chair, “See? It’s good, they got him. Don’t worry.” The optimistic Justin is back.

         The officer walked into the room Gabe was in and Gabe held his hand out for him to shake, “Thanks for coming in.”

         “Absolutely. Anything I can do to help.” Gabe actually smiled, what the fuck is going on? I’m not getting a good feeling about this, not at all.

         “Tell me how you know Chloe Young.”

         “We uh, we went to school together, high school in Riverside. We dated for awhile, a year or so.”

         “Have you seen her recently?”

         “About a month ago. She kind of disappeared before high school was over and I never heard her from again. I actually saw her in a magazine with the kid, Brady and did the math… I mean I didn’t know he was mine, I still don’t actually I just wanted to know what was going on with that. If I have a son I’d like to know about it, be part of the kid’s life.”

         “There’s a restraining order.”

         Gabe nodded, “There were some problems, Chloe’s had her fair share of issues. I never laid a finger on her, but after everything she was going through it was easier. I didn’t want to hurt her and cause more problems for her, so she was leaving and we just thought it would be better to go with it.”

         “We?”

         “My family, my lawyers. I was young, seventeen, so I just did what they told me to do.”

         “Probably not a good idea.”

         “Yeah, definitely not,” Gabe laughed, “Young and stupid right? I hadn’t yet learned how to trust my instincts with that stuff.”

         “He’s full of shit” I spoke up, “This is ridiculous, they’re not really buying this are they?” Justin didn’t answer, he just continued listening. Why the fuck is this guy talking to Gabe like they’re old friends? Why are they just shooting the shit? Um, hello?

         “You said she had issues, what kind of issues?”

         “I don’t want to say she’s crazy… but I mean she’s had some real problems. She was in a home for a while, at the Riverside Center of Behavioral Medicine. Her father left when she was young, she’s always had those Daddy issues. Paranoid Personality Disorder is what it’s called I believe. “

         Shit, fucking shit. I knew it.

         “You can look it up,” Gabe continued, “You can get the file I’m sure. She was there for about three months I want to say but she got better. They say those disorders come back after a tragedy. Her mother died not too long ago and they were really close.”

         “What exactly are some symptoms of that disorder?”

         “It’s basically just basic distrust and suspiciousness of everyone. Like I said, I haven’t really known her these past few years so I don’t know if that’s what it is but it would be my guess. I want to help in any way I can. I just want what’s best for her, she’s a good person deep down but she just has these problems. I want her to get the help she needs.”

         I closed my eyes hoping that I could stop the tears from falling. I can’t believe this is happening. I should have known Gabe would sink to that level and bring that up. Yeah, I spent some time in a fucking hospital but I went through all the fucking treatment and I’m fine. I’ve been fine for a long time and this is bullshit if they’re going to trust this asshole over me.

         When I looked up at Justin he looks like he’s actually thinking about what Gabe was saying. “Chloe, did you…?”

         “No, NO!” I shouted, “He’s full of shit Justin, it’s all bullshit.” I don’t know why I’m lying to Justin. Well I guess I know why, because I’m scared. If he finds out that I was in a fucking mental hospital he’s going to be so far gone. Oh my god, what am I going to do? If they think I’m fucking paranoid again they’re going to take Brady. I’m not just imagining this shit, he was there. Even Brady saw him.

         “Alright, calm down Baby,” Justin rubbed my leg to try to calm me but it wasn’t working.

         “I’m worried about the kid,” Gabe continued and it took all I had not to jump through that fucking wall and strangle him myself, “Especially if he’s mine, but even if he’s not. I don’t know what kind of lies she’s feeding him. She doesn’t do it on purpose; she just really thinks these things are happening. She really thinks everyone is out to get her. I mean, she threw herself down the stairs to get a restraining order against me. If she could just get back on treatment I’m sure she’ll be fine. I believe that she could get better, I really do.”

         “I want to go, I don’t want to be here,” I spoke in a whisper.

         “We can’t just leave Chloe.”

         “She’s a stripper,” Gabe continued and now I feel my whole life crashing down. As if this wasn’t bad enough, he just keeps chipping away at me, “I’m sure you know that. I mean if that doesn’t prove she has something going on than I don’t know what does. I graduated from Harvard early. I’m the youngest VP in company history. I come from a good family, I mean my grandfather was a pastor.  Honestly, I just want what’s best for her; I want her to get the help she needs so she can get back on the right track. Her mother was her rock and without her I can only imagine how difficult it is. I feel for Justin. I mean, I was him a few years back. She’s a great girl and she’s got that quality that you want to take her in and help her. But sometimes she needs more help than one man can give. I hope he realizes that before too long. It took me too long and by the time I realized it she was too far-gone. I tried to help her but she wouldn’t let me help her. She’s doing it again; it’s the same thing. All the same signs.”

          I’m afraid to even look at Justin.

“If there’s any way I can help you, you know where to find me,” Gabe continued, “Let me give you my card and I’ll write my cell phone number right on there for you.  I just want to be part of my son’s life somehow. I don’t want to start anything. I want what’s best for him and what’s best for her. I do care about her, despite what she wants you to believe. But, like I said, get her records from the hospital. I don’t know too much, I’m sure someone down there will be able to explain everything better than I can. Can I see her? Or maybe him, Justin. It’d be nice to touch base.”

“Why don’t you stay in here and I’ll go find out. Thanks for being so cooperative.”

“Yeah man, anything I can do to help.” They shook hands before the officer left and Justin looked over at me for the first time.

“Do you want to go see him?”

“No!” I shouted, this is complete bullshit. Why does no one remember what the fuck happened? “Why the fuck would I want to go see him? Are you out of your fucking mind?”

“Alright, calm down I’m just asking. I’ll go in with you.”

“NO!”

“Alright, sorry, calm down.” Why does he keep telling me to calm down? It’s like he doesn’t even care anymore and he’s buying all of Gabe’s bullshit. “I want to talk to him.”

“No.”

“Yeah, I just want to talk to him. Do you want to come or do you want to stay here?”

“I’m not going to talk to him.”

“Alright then,” he nodded his head, “Stay out here with Tiny, I’ll be right back.”

I took a deep breath ad sat back down, tapping my feet against the legs of the chair. I feel like everyone is looking at me and judging me and it’s not fair. I literally jumped a foot in the air when I felt Tiny’s hand on my arm, “Whoa, calm down Kiddo, are you alright?”

I nodded my head and bit at my lip so hard I won’t be surprised if I make it bleed. The idea of Justin talking to Gabe really scares me, I’m afraid they’re going to talk about something I don’t want them to talk about. “I just want to get Brady.”

“It won’t be long. Justin just wants to talk to him and figure everything out.”

What does he have to figure out? Nothing. This is ridiculous, now everyone thinks I’m crazy.

I watched as Justin walked into the room with an officer by his side, “It’s fine,” he spoke strongly as Gabe stood up and extended his hand.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m a big fan.” Gabe actually smiled as he took Justin’s hand, “I can help you out, any way you want me to, just let me know.”

Justin nodded his head and bit at his lip before looking through the mirror as if he could see me, “I just uh… want to get some stuff figured out.”

“Definitely, I know it’s confusing. I’ve been there. “

“She’s got bruises.”

I need to remember to breathe because this whole thing is giving me a panic attack. I can’t believe Justin is actually in there talking to Gabe like a normal human being. Like an hour ago he was ready to kill him and now just because of that one minor detail they’re like all buddy buddy.

“She says they’re from me?” Gabe asked before taking a deep breath and throwing his head back, “She threw herself down the stairs in high school. I wish her mother were here, she was the only one that knew how to handle her when she got like that.”

“Look me in the eye man.”

“I’m looking you in the eye,” Gabe said, “I can take a lie detector test, do you want me to do that? I mean there are papers, there are files. I’m not making it up.”

Now Justin is just looking into space. He turned his head back at the mirror before speaking again, “Are the mics on? Can we turn them off?”

Great. Perfect. Now they’re in there talking about how crazy I am and I can’t even hear it.

“Why don’t you call Trace and see how Brady’s doing?” Tiny suggested. He’s trying to make me feel better, at least someone is. Meanwhile Justin is in there being best friends with my fucking enemy. I can’t believe this is happening. I need my mom.

“I want to go back.” I answered in a whisper.

“Come on, let’s go for a walk,” he grabbed my hand and pulled me up before I could complain. “Just a little walk to get some fresh air. Try to calm down Kiddo, nothing’s going to happen.”

“Why are they like best friends? Justin wanted to kill him and now he’s like talking to him like I’m completely full of shit.”

“No, no he’s not. He just wants to figure everything out. Justin wants to help you Chloe, he really cares about you guys. I’ve never seen him this involved with someone. If you need help he’s going to get you help.”

“I don’t need help!” I shouted, “Gabe is the crazy one, I am not crazy.”

“No one is calling you crazy,” Tiny answered calmly as he sat down on the steps next to me.

“Hey, are you alright?” Justin came out of the station and grabbed my hand to help me up, “Are you alright Chloe?”

I shook my head, I’m not about to hide how pissed off I am that Justin just went in there and listened to everything Gabe said. “I just want to get Brady and go home.”

“Yeah,” Justin nodded his head, “We’ll go get Brady and then you guys can go back to your place. Tiny will stay with you, all right man? I have some stuff I need to do, but I’ll come by later.”

“Sure,” I answered in a whisper as I got in the car and felt my eyes water up, “Wonderful.”

And this is it… the beginning of the end. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: missionary oral girlontop boyfriendj stripper chairsex