Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Ever since I was a little girl, back in Tennessee, I had life goals that I wanted to achieve. But doesn’t everyone? I mean my best friend always knew what he wanted to do with his life. He says the moment that he and some of our friends performed songs by New Kids on the Block in our school talent show that he wanted to be a musician. And he was in the third grade. My name is Lorelei McBane, but you can call me Lori. Everyone else does, well everyone except my mother. Me, I wanted it all. I wanted to see the world. I wanted to fall in love with an amazing guy, but I would settle for nothing less than prince charming. I wanted get married to said amazing guy, and have tons and tons of babies. And also have this amazing career that I would wake up everyday anticipating what was to wait for me at work. Well I’m twenty four, and nothing of that sort has happened yet.

I haven’t seen the world. I haven’t got my prince charming, and at the rate I’m going I don’t seem to have him in my near future. I don’t have tons and tons of babies, because of the detail mentioned before. I know, I know, I don’t have to be married to have a child. But if you met some of the men that I have dated in the past, you wouldn’t want them to father your dog. The thought of artificial insemination has crossed my mind, but where’s the fun in that? Then we have my career. Ha! My career. Where do I even begin? Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do. But I don’t wake up anticipating it by any means. Maybe that’s because I don’t really get to sleep sometimes. Wonder what I do yet? I am currently employed by my best friend, Justin Timberlake. I am his Personal Assistant. I got my Bachelor’s in Public Relations, and while I was in college I touched a few business courses and, if I do say so myself, didn’t do too badly in them at all. I am hoping to eventually get a job at WEG. That would be awesome. So I’m sure you’re asking, “If you’re friends with Justin, why haven’t you seen the world? You are his PA right?” Well, I’m glad you asked, because I haven’t always been his PA. I’m sure you remember Trace? You know the short thing that you always saw permanently attached to Justin’s side? Yeah he’s another one of my good friends, and I sort of took over after I graduated college, and he and Justin started their clothing line. So, anyway, I haven’t really got to see much of the world because I couldn’t always travel with Trace and Justin because of college, and when I did come on as his PA I was to busy to see anything important if we weren’t there for more than two days.

See, that’s where the job loses its perks. Other than that I love my job. I know I shouldn’t have really been worrying about the personal part of my life at twenty four, but I want so desperately to fall in love. And every time I see a baby I have to fight the urge not to steal them away. I always stop to talk to the baby, and the mother, which annoys Justin to no end. But who cares? I spend all day looking after his ass; the least he can do is let me have my “I-want-to-be-a-mommy” moment. I know he loves children as much I do; he just has a rep to protect. Well tonight is New Year’s Eve, and I’m spending it at home in Tennessee with my mom, Justin’s mom, Trace’s Family, Trace, and Justin. It’s 11:50 ten more minutes until midnight and the year 2007. See, I have this tradition with myself that no matter where I am on New Year’s Eve, I seclude myself ten minutes before midnight, and make my New Year’s wish. Yep, that’s right, Wish. I used to do the resolution thing, but it never worked for me. Besides I can’t just resolute to find the man of my dreams, and babies. I figure if I wish for it, maybe it’ll happen. Yes I know I watch Disney movies way to much, but a girl can dream right? So right now I’m out on Lynn’s patio looking up at the sky, wrapping myself in Justin’s huge coat. Alright, so it’s not huge, but for someone that’s 5’3, and 135. The jacket is huge, but it was the first thing that was warm that I saw on the way out. I glance down at my watch, and see that it’s 11:59.

“Alright, Lor. Here’s to a better 2006.” I say to myself, as I find a star in the sky and fix my concentration on it. So it’s not a falling star, but it’s a star none the less, and who knows maybe it’ll work this time around? I wish for my usual, and glance down to see that it’s 12:00.

I can hear the loud commotion inside, yells of “Happy New Year!” the loud music of Auld Lang Sine coming from the TV, and the sounds of party buzzers. I smile and head towards the door to go back in. Boy did I have a year ahead of me. If I could have known what was lying ahead, I could have been a little more prepared. Then again I don’t think anything could have prepared me for what I was about to experience.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story