Justin tied a towel around his waist, and grabbed a hand towel off the counter to wipe the steam off the mirror. He wiped a spot so he could see what he was doing, and just stood there. He sighed and grabbed his tooth brush.

“Get a grip.” He said to himself. The whole date, well, he didn’t think it went to well. And the thing that really drove him crazy? He didn’t care. He tried his best to get out of the date tonight to stay home with Lori, but she seemed real adamant about staying by herself. He was beginning to think that she was annoyed with him; maybe he should let her have more time to herself. Anyway the date started to go down hill when they sat down for dinner, and she noticed the baby name book that was in his back pocket.



“What’s that?” she asked as she unfolded her napkin and placed it in her lap.

“Oh, it’s a baby name book.” Justin said not even trying to hide the smile on his face.

“What are you doing with one of those?” She asked taking a sip of her water.

“Lori. It’s one of Lori’s. She’s pregnant you know.” As if the smile couldn’t get any bigger, it did. Both Lori and Justin had decided to keep it to themselves besides the obvious friends and family that she was carrying the next Timberlake generation. So, Michelle had no clue that the baby was Justin’s.

“You seem more excited about it than she is.” Michelle said trying to muster up a smile, but the only one that came across her face was a totally fake one. But Justin didn’t care.

“Well babies are exciting. She found out today she was having a girl.” Honestly he hated saying it like that. It made him feel like he was ashamed of this baby, and he wasn’t. He would shout if from rooftops if he knew that the press would leave both the baby and Lori alone. I guess it was a small price to pay for a child’s privacy.



So it started there, but naturally didn’t end there. The whole night the only thing that he could talk about was Lori. How Lori like this on the menu, how Lori couldn’t eat that because it made her throw up. Michelle’s a dancer, and he brought up how Lori used to dance when they were kids. Could he help it if he was worried about her?



“Do you want any desert?” Justin asked Michelle as he looked over the desert menu, “I think I’ll take Lori something home with me.”

Michelle threw her napkin down, “Ok, that’s enough.” She said standing up.

“Did I say something wrong?”

“Yes! This whole date all you’ve talked about is Lori. I’ve tried to make conversation, and eventually she comes back around.”

“I’m sorry I’ve just been worried about her at home by herself.”

“Doesn’t she have her own boyfriend? Isn’t that how she got the way she is in the first place?”

Ok, that really pissed Justin off, but he was willing to ignore it, “She doesn’t have a boyfriend. I offered to help her.”

“Oh so she’s mooching off of you?”

That one he wasn’t willing to let slide, “You don’t know the first thing about her!” He said standing up to face her. He looked around and saw that they were beginning to make a scene. “I think this date is over.” Justin said throwing down enough that would cover the meal and a tip. He shoved his wallet back into his pocket, and walked toward the door. He heard her huff, and follow after him.

Once they reached the parking lot she started up again, “I know she’s milking this for all it’s worth. She’s even got you feeling things for her. She’s a pretty smart girl if you ask me.”

He turned around and was practically fuming, “You don’t know what she’s been through, and the last thing that she’s doing is mooching off me! I’ve known her my entire life, and she works for me! She makes pretty damn good money on her own." Just threw his hands up in frustration, then pointed at her, "You know what? I don’t have to explain any of this to you. What I do with my life or what she does with hers is no concern of yours.” Justin said as he opened the door to his car. He slammed it shut, turned the ignition, and drove off leaving her standing by her own car.



Lori had been acting a little strange lately, but then again so had he. If he didn’t know any better he would say he was starting to develop feelings for her, but that was just crazy. They were best friends! Then again it’s not everyday your best friend has your baby. He was determined to make this thing work. The last thing that he wanted was things getting weird between him and Lori, and so far it worked. If anything this whole thing has brought them closer. He stood there for a few minutes longer and brushed his teeth, then rinsed his toothbrush and walked out to get dressed. He needed sleep that’s what he needed. He needed to clear his mind, and just…sleep. He dropped his towel, and grabbed the pair of boxers he had laying on his bed. Then threw back the covers and crawled into bed. And sleep is exactly what he did.



Justin got home about 9 o’clock which was exceptionally early for any date of his. Then Kelly left about nine thirty-ish. I went upstairs laid down on my bed, and I was out. Then 2:00 rolled around and I lost all hope of falling asleep again. This kid is a real kicker, no seriously I mean kicker. She could grow up and be a soccer player, and marry one of Beckham’s kids. Lucky her. If they looked anything like their father when they grow up…wow! That’s all I would have to say about that. That man had to fall from heaven, because he was just too damn pretty to come from this planet. I threw the covers off me, and began to get out of bed. I had to get some milk maybe that would make me sleep. I slowly made my way down the stairs. I had seen so many movies where the pregnant lady fell down the stairs that I was seriously afraid I was going to fall. Every time I went up and down them things I gripped the banister so tight my knuckles would turn white. I finally touched solid ground, and made my way faster to the kitchen. I switched on the light, and jumped when I saw Justin sitting at the counter in the dark.

“Shit. Do you always sit in dark kitchens trying to scare the hell out of pregnant women?”

“No just you.” He said with a smile, “I couldn’t sleep.”

“So you came down here to sit in the dark? Could you not manage to flip a switch?” I asked as I opened the fridge and grabbed the milk that I came down for.

“I figured if I turned on the light it would blind me, so I would make due with the little night light we have plugged in over here.”

“God forbid those blues go blind.” I said grabbing a glass out of the cupboard. I poured the white liquid into the glass, and returned the milk to the fridge. “So how’d the date go? You were back awfully early.” I said taking a sip.

“I doubt there’ll be another.” He said with a smile, “Apparently I talk about you too much.”

I paused with my milk halfway up to mouth then brought it back down, “What?”

“Yeah, she said I talk about you way too much. Then she started to throw around accusations that you were mooching off of me while you were staying here…” The rest of what he said sort of trailed off. Did he think that I was mooching? I mean he’s never said anything before, and I don’t think that I am, but what if he really thinks that I do mooch?

“You don’t think that I mooch of you do you?”

He looked at me like I was crazy, “Lori, you seriously can’t be asking me that question. Of course I don’t think that. I invited YOU to stay here, remember?” He got up from where he was sitting on the stool and walked over to me, “Besides, if you were mooching off me don’t you think you would have done it by now? Or I would have found out about it and kicked you to the curb?” he said smiling.

“I guess. But you know maybe I should seriously start looking for an apartment…”

“NO! Lori, seriously, no.”

“Justin if she thinks that then imagine what everyone else thinks?”

“Lori she didn’t even know you. Anyone who’s been around you for five minutes knows that you are completely incapable of doing things like that.” I could see on his face that a joke was about to come out of that mouth, “Besides, I think she was just jealous because you got to hit this and she didn’t.”

“Oh god!” I said as I hit him in the arm, “Get away.” I said laughing.

He laughed too, and pulled me into a hug. He placed a kiss on my head, and rested his chin on it, “What was that?” He asked as he pulled away. He obviously was feeling what woke me up in the first place.

“That would be your daughter the soccer player.” I said laughing.

“That was so cool.” He said putting his hand on my stomach hoping to feel it again.

“She’s gonna marry one of Beckham’s boys.” I said smiling.

“Like hell she is!”

“Come on the man is beautiful! Imagine what his kids will look like when they get older.”

“No, no, and no.” Justin said smiling, “The only man in her life will be me. At least until she’s 35.”

“Ha! Get real. That’ll never happen.”

“Like hell it will. I will keep her locked up, because if she’s anything like you were when we were teenagers she’ll come straight home from school into a room that has a lock outside the door, and no windows that she can escape out of.”

My mouth dropped, “What are you trying to say? I was not that bad.”

He looked at me like I was crazy again, “Do I need to remind you that your mother grounded you because she caught you almost getting it on with Jason Madden?”

Oh yeah. I conveniently forgot about that. Well until now. “That…that was…shut up!” I said hitting him in the arm again.

“And what about the time she grounded you because you got caught making out with Blake Adams in the boy’s locker room?” I was about to say something else, “Then you got double grounded because I came home for a while and you snuck out to go play basketball with me and Trace.”

“Do we have to relive my past?”

“Oh I think we do.”

“Well what about you? Your mom caught you actually GETTING it on. Remember that?”

“I was 17 thank you. I was much older than your 16.”

“Only by a year! You almost didn’t get to go on tour that summer because she grounded you so bad.”

“Well I had a little help in that strict grounding.”

“I did not force you to sneak out to go to that dance with me.”

“Yes, but how could I resist? You were so sad because nobody asked you. And I couldn’t let my best friend be the laughing stock of the whole school with no date.”

“You still managed to make me a laughing stock when I showed up with you.”

His mouth fell open, “I seem to remember all the girls gawking and asking me for autographs.”

I’ll leave out the fact that I slugged Maggie Smith in the face for making fun of Justin the next day. I also threw in the fact that she was one of the girls that gawked over him all night and got his autograph to all her little friends. See that was back when it wasn’t cool to like pop music, and how every one of the boy band people were “gay”. I still shook my head at that. Some guys would do anything to save their ego. Even when the person that threatens it is someone they don’t even know. Everyone at that school was just jealous of Justin, and I’ll be happy if I never see any of them again.

“Whatever makes you sleep at night.” I said smirking at him. I stood up on my tip toes and kissed him on the cheek, and embraced him in a hug. “I think I’m going to go back to bed. You should hit the sack soon too.” I said pulling from the embrace, and poking him in the stomach.

“I will in a few.”

“Alright, but don’t wait to long.”

“Yes mother.”

I rolled my eyes, and started toward the stairs. I had a crazy week to prepare for thanks to our trip back to Tennessee for thanksgiving.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story