I walked into Justin’s house and slammed the door. I just got back from my doctor’s appointment, and everything was fine. I was just a little irritated. I guess that comes with the territory huh? Everything today had been getting on my nerves. First you have LA Traffic, that in itself would drive someone to kill themselves, god knows I almost did. Second, Justin didn’t go with me today. You know for the past couple of days he seems like he’s been up to something. In fact, we’ve hardly spent any time together since we’ve been home and we’ve been home for almost a month. Anyway, and then we have the third and final factor. I met this perky upbeat mom today in the doctor’s office. Like me it was her first child, but my god her voice sounded like nails on a chalk board. She’s was just way too nice. Here let’s have a look.



“What are you having?” Melanie, the perky up beat mom that I met said.

A smiled as genuinely as I could. What was my problem today? “A girl.”

“A girl? Aw, I bet you’re so excited. I’m having a boy.”

“My fiancée wanted a boy.” Why am I telling her this?

“You’re not married?” She asked astonished. Do I really have to put up with this today?

“No, I’m not, along with the other half of the country.”

OK, maybe that was a little harsh, but come on!

I could see she knew she offended me, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. So have you thought of any names yet?”

“We’ve narrowed it down to a few, but we can’t decide. He wants one name, I want another. At the rate we’re going she’ll be Baby Timb…McBane all her life.”

Oh that was a close one! Luckily, Mrs. Perky didn’t pick up on that. “Oh I’m sure you’ll come up with something.”

“Eventually, I guess.” Boy, I wish they would call my name.

“Do you have your nursery finished?”

“No, I don’t actually.”

“How far along are you?”

“Six months.”

“And you don’t have your nursery finished? I had mine finished before I even knew what I was having. Of course I just knew we were having a boy.” She said with that Ha I beat you smiles. Was god trying to punish me for something?

“Well, we’ve looked at things that we want. I had my shower last week, and we got some things then. And we have a room picked out, but we haven’t made any big moves yet. My fiancé’s a pretty busy guy, and he’s kind of in demand so we don’t have a lot of time.”

“Well that doesn’t…”

“Mrs. McBane? The doctor is ready for you.”

I grabbed my purse, and pushed my way up out of the chair, “Listen, it was nice…chatting with you, but they just called me.” And from there I waddled my way into the doctor’s room as fast as I could. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to go into a plain white sterile room.




So here I am standing in the foyer of Justin’s house…well I guess our house now. Anyway, I ripped off my jacket, threw my keys on the table, along with my purse.

“Lori? Baby, you home?” I heard Justin call from upstairs

“Yeah, I’m home.” I called back and walked into the living room. I threw my coat across the back of the couch, and carefully fell back into the couch. I closed my eyes, but opened them when I heard Justin come into the room.

He had an odd, but happy pep in his step. What the hell was he up too? “Hey baby!” He said as he sat down beside me. He motioned he wanted a kiss, and I was happy to oblige. “How did the appointment go?”

I rolled my eyes, “Could have been better.”

“What? Is something wrong with the baby?”

“Oh no, no nothings wrong with the baby. Everything is fine. It’s just there was this other woman sitting in the waiting room, and my god she was so annoying.” I looked at him and he looked like he could hardly sit still, “What is up with you?”

“Nothing, nothing, I just have something to show you.” He could hardly contain the smile that was working up on his face.

“What is it?” I said smiling back.

“Well, come on and I’ll show you.” He said standing up and pulling me up with him.

“Justin.” I whined as he pulled me behind him. I was waddling as fast I could to keep up with him, “I’ve had the day from hell. I just want to sleep or something.” I said as we climbed the last step of the staircase.

“Close your eyes.”

“Justin!” I whined again.

“Ugh, fine. You’d peek anyway.” He said as he covered my eyes with his hand and slowly led me down the hallway. I heard a door open, “Ok just a few more seconds.” He said leading me further into what I hoped was a room and not off the edge of a balcony. Although I didn’t feel any air so I guess I was good.

“Alright sit right here.” I did as I was told and sat in a very comfortable chair that rocked. Damn this thing was comfortable now if only I could see where the hell I was.

“Can I open my eyes now?” I asked as I felt Justin pull his hand off my face. But my eyes remained closed just in case.

I felt him kneel down beside me and place a hand on my knee, “Ok you can open them now.”

I opened my eyes, and my hand immediately found its way over my mouth. “Oh my god!” I said looking around me. The nursery that I told the bitch at the office that I didn’t have was now complete. Complete with everything that I had wanted and picked out down to the color pink that I wanted for the walls. The color was a light pink. The kind of pink that you always saw with baby stuff. It was pink enough to let you know it was pink but yet was kind of warm and inviting which was exactly what I wanted. There really wasn’t a theme to the room except for pink and teddy bears. I hadn’t gotten around to that. But wow, this was good enough for me. The room was equipped with the baby bed, changing table, bassinet, diaper genie, millions of diapers, wipes, and basically everything that a baby would need. I felt a few tears fall down my face, and I looked at Justin smiling.

“This is amazing! Everything is perfect!” I said in awe of what I was seeing. I stood up and rubbed my hand across the edge of the baby bed. I walked over to the closet, and saw all her little outfits hanging up on the little hangers. I felt more tears fall down my face. I was more than ready for her to get here so I dress her in these things. Although some of them she wouldn’t be wearing for a few months but believe me there was no rush for her to be able to wear those.

“So this is what you’ve been up too ever since we got home?”

He smiled and walked over to me, “Yep. I wanted to surprise you with something, and I knew not having the nursery finished for Megan…”

“Lilly.” I said cutting him off.

“Whatever…anyway I knew not having the nursery finished for Megan was beginning to bug the hell out of you so Trace and I have been working on it whenever we could. I just finished the little things today. Like getting everything where it needed to go. Last night was spent putting everything together and by the end of the night I was ready to shove the screwdriver into Trace’s head.”

I laughed and wrapped my arms around his neck, “Thank you so much.” I said placing a little kiss on his lips. “It’s wonderful.”

“My pleasure, although I can think of a few ways you could thank me later.” He said wrapping his hands around my waist.

“Ha. Not happening for a while buddy.” I said laying my head on his chest. You know for people who spent their lives in a friendly relationship, we fell just fine in the boyfriend girlfriend relationship. Sure there were something’s that we had to adjust too, but it wasn’t an awkward transition at all. We decided to take things slow. I’m starting to truly believe that he was my soul mate. When I think back on all the other men that I have dated, I just want to kick myself because the one that I was always looking for was right beside me all along. It just took me getting knocked up by him to realize. How funny is that?



“Ok. So we’ve narrowed it down to Megan and Lilly. Now the question is which one and what’s the middle name?” he said as he laid the baby name book on his lap.

I rolled my eyes, and climbed into bed next to him. “Lilly.”

“Come on! Why Lilly? Megan is so much prettier!”

“Megan is…no. Not Megan.”

“Why not?”

I sighed, “Because! I like Lilly better.” I said as I sunk lower into our bed. It’s not that I loathed Megan it’s just I like Lilly a lot better. It fits a little girl, plus it’s my favorite flower.

“What is so wrong with Megan?”

“Nothing, I just like Lilly better.”

“When we were looking at that book last week you said you like Megan.”

“You did the same with Lilly.” I said smiling.

“Come on Lori. This isn’t funny. This is our kid’s name we’re talking about here!” He said hitting me with the book on my arm.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I’ll help. I promise.” I said trying to control my laughter. “How about this? We both like the names the other wants correct?”

“Yeah.”

“So how about we write the names down, you go get one of your many hats, and we’ll put the names in there and draw. Which one is pulled out first will be the name.”

“I’LL draw the name because you’ll cheat.” He said pointing at me as he got up to go get one of his hats. I laughed and opened the drawer of my nightstand and pulled out some paper and a pen.

A few minutes later I had the names written out, and put them in the hat. “No cheating.” I said as I grabbed the hat from him and shook the papers around. “Here.” I said handing it back to him. Simply because he always gets his way, the paper will end up reading Megan. I guess I better get used to this huh?

I rolled my eyes when I saw his smile. “What is it?” I asked

“Megan.” He said happily. He grabbed the book, but was to slow. I grabbed it first and held it out of his reach.

“Nope.” I said pushing him back. “Your name got picked for the first name now it’s totally fair that I get to pick the middle name.”

He huffed and fell back on his side, “Not fair.”

“How is it not fair?” I said trying not to laugh at his childishness.

“It’s not because shouldn’t I get a say in all aspects of my child’s life? Including naming her?”

“Did you not read off of that piece of paper that her name is Megan? You got the name you wanted; now I get to pick the name that I want for the middle name.” I said opening the book. I began to look over the pages, and looked out of the corner of my eye at Justin. He was still pouting and had his arms crossed his chest. I sighed and laid the book on my stomach.

“What?” I said, “What is the matter with you?”

“Nothing.”

“Then why are you pouting?”

“Because.”

“Because you’re acting like a five year old?”

“No, because you’re treating naming our child like we’re fighting over who goes first playing Candy Land.”

“You’re pouting because you’re not getting your way.”

“I am not!”

“Justin, stop it! You’re acting like a five year old. I did it this way because if not we’d still be fighting over the first name until her first day of Kindergarten. And I personally don’t want my daughter going to her first day of school with the name Baby Timberlake.”

“We would not!”

“Justin, when we were kids we fought over who goes first for the whole three hours we were allowed to play together a day and you had to go home and we never even got to play. So yes it would happen like that.”

“Our child and a stupid board game do NOT compare.”

“But the way we fight over something we both want compare.” I said smiling at him. “But I guess we can both pick one out together. BUT we both have to agree on it. It’s not going to end up like the whole Lilly and Megan ordeal.”

He smiled, “I promise.” He said as he leaned over and kissed me. Is this how it’s always going to be? That I’ll always get suckered into doing what he wants?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story