“Hello?” I smiled when I heard the sound of my mother’s voice answer her phone.

“Hey momma.” I said smiling to myself as I made myself comfortable on my couch. “How are you?”

“Oh I’m doing great. Just keeping busy with work.” My mom said, “It’s been a pretty crazy couple of days at the hospital.”

My mom’s name is Evelyn, but everyone calls her Eve. I of course call her momma. She’s a nurse at the hospital in Memphis, and she loves every minute of it. She’s the same age as Lynn. They graduated together a long with Trace’s mother. That would explain why the three of us are so close. My mom is the only one of the three that isn’t nor has she been married. My father was her high school sweetheart. She was deeply in love with him. They lasted for a while after high school, but when she turned twenty one she got pregnant with me. She was going through nursing school at the time, and apparently a wife in kid wasn’t in my father’s agenda. He left her shortly after I was born and hasn’t been back since. She had a few serious boyfriends that I can remember throughout my childhood, but none of them wanted the whole package. They always wanted her, and I never seemed to fit into the picture. But momma always chose me.

“How about you? I haven’t talked to you in a couple of days. I called yesterday, and Kelly said you were sick? Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah, I little bit. That’s kind of the reason why I was calling.”

“Oh? Honey, you don’t have something bad do you?”

“No, mom I don’t. Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it.” I said more to myself than her.

“Honey, you don’t have an STD or anything?”

“Mom! God, no! No STDs.” I said shaking my head. Like Justin and Lynn, my mother and I have a similar relationship. I can tell her anything, but sometimes I just like to keep things to myself. I would like to keep this one to myself, but that would just about near impossible. Especially, when I have to explain to her HOW I got pregnant. Yeah, that’s going to throw her for a loop. But she loves Justin, so hopefully it’ll all be good.
“Then what is it?”

“Are you sitting down?”

I heard her pause for a second on the phone, “I am now.”

“Ok, well the reason why I’ve been sick is because…well I found out today that…I’m, uh…pregnant.” I said waiting for her response.

“You’re pregnant?”

“Yes.”

“Wow. I wasn’t expecting this.” She said. I could see her expression on her face, and leaning back against the couch looking up at the ceiling in our living room. “You’re sure?”

“Yeah I went to the doctor today. I’m a month along.” There was a long pause, “Mom you’re not mad or anything are you?” I asked becoming worried.

“No, no, honey. I’m just trying to take this all in.” she said. I could hear the reassuring tone in her voice. “I’m to young to be a grandma. I still have a few years ahead of me.”

I smiled at my mom’s joke, “I know, I know.”

“So do you know who the father is?”

“Are you still sitting down?”

“Yep.” I was about to tell her when her heard her go to say something again, “Do I want to know?”

“I guess so. It’s no one horrible.” I paused for a second before continuing, “It’s…It’s Justin.”

“Justin?” she asked surprised.

“Yes.”

“Justin, as in Justin Randall Timberlake.”

“That’s the one.”

Again, I could picture the expression on my mothers face, “What? How? You guys aren’t even dating, or are you?” I could hear the hopefulness in her voice. She has always wanted Justin and I to end up together, but our relationship has never been anything of the sort. Well, until now that is.

“No mom we aren’t.”

“Lorelei Nicole McBane!” I pulled the phone from my ear, and smiled, “I raised you better than that.”

“I know mom.”

“I’ve always told you to use protection if you’re going to do things of that sort!” I had to laugh at that. Only my mother. “Why didn’t you? Or did it not work? Because you know we can sue or something like that.”

“I don’t think did. I wish I could remember, but I cant.” I heard my mother gasp.

“Please tell me you’re joking.”

“I’m not.”

“So you were drunk?”

“Yes, the only thing I remember is getting up to go pee, and just was trying to help me but he was just as drunk as I was, and he tripped and brought me down with him. We were laughing, and then boom we kissed. That’s all I remember. I barely remember Trace dragging us out of the club.”

“Wow.”

“Are you mad?” I asked.

“No, I guess not.”

“Disappointed?”

“Honey, everything happens for a reason. It’s not my place to judge you, besides you’re my daughter you could never do no wrong in my eyes.”

I smiled, “Thanks mom.”

“Your welcome. So, have you told Justin yet?”

“Yeah, I told him just a few hours ago.”

“You know Lynn is there right? She left yesterday evening.”

“Yeah, I saw her before I left Justin’s. He’s probably telling her as we speak.”

“You’re not scared are you? Because you know she’ll just be shocked at first, you have nothing to worry about. She loves you just as much as I love you.”

“I know.”

“Well listen honey my supper is about to burn. I completely forgot all about it with all this baby talk. I’ll call you first thing tomorrow ok?”

“Alright mom.”

“I love you honey. Everything’s going to be alright. I’ll help you any way I can.”

“Thanks mom. I love you too.”

“Bye honey.”

“Bye mom.” I said as I hung up the phone and put it back in it’s cradle. Well, that’s three weights lifted off my chest. Now for the fourth one. I grabbed my cell phone and dialed Justin’s number.



Two hours later I found myself sitting beside Justin on his couch. Talk about weird. We have never had any conversations where we just didn’t know what to say. It seemed like we were both avoiding the topic at hand. I mean what do you say? It would be something totally different if Justin and I were madly in love with each other, and were excited about the baby. But we’re not. I am excited about the baby though, and I can tell Justin is too. I just think once we get it out in the open everything will be better. At least I hope so.

“Do you need anything?” Justin asked for the millionth time.

“No, I’m fine.” I said rolling my eyes. This was really getting annoying. I mean I know he means well and all, but DAMN! I am pregnant, not paralyzed. “This is really weird. We have a lot to talk about I know, but all of it isn’t the greatest conversation starters.”

I saw Justin smile, “I know. Well what do you talk about when someone is pregnant?”

I smiled and turned to face him on the couch, “I guess we talk about how we’re going to handle this. Living situations, work, etc.”

“Do you want to continue working? Should I start looking for a replacement?”

“No, no. That’s the last thing that I want to do is stop working. Well until I absolutely have to. My job is the only thing that keeps me from going stir crazy. I could barely handle the half a day when you sent me home. There’s only so much TV you can watch before you get bored with it.”

Justin laughed, “Ok, then we’ll take care of that later.” He turned to face me better on the couch, “I was thinking earlier. I mean you don’t have to do it, but I was just thinking it might make things easier if maybe you moved in with me?”

“Here?”

“Yeah. I mean you practically live here anyway. Plus, Kelly sometimes works odd hours what if something happens and you’re the only one there?”

Ok, I had to give him props on that one. Kelly does work Satan’s hours where she works. “You got a point. But I like my apartment.” I whined.

“I know, but I would feel a lot better. I promised you I would be there for everything. How can I do that when your four blocks away?” he said with a smile. Do you ever notice how charming this man is? I’m his best friend. I should know ways to get past this…but I don’t. Nope, after twenty odd years of friendship, I have not mastered the art of ignoring the Timberlake Charm.

“Why can’t you move in with me?”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes. Why not?”

“Lori, have you seen how small your apartment is?”

“It’s not small.” I said defensively. Ok, so maybe it was a little small. But still.

“Lori, your apartment was not meant to hold three adults and a baby.”

Holy shit. I hadn’t thought of that. Where would I live after the baby was born? My apartment was only big enough to hold me and Kelly. Damn it. I guess I should really start searching.

I leaned my head back against the couch in frustration. “I didn’t think about that. What am I going to do? I have to find a good apartment before the baby is born.”

“Hello? Have you not been listening to me? I have more than enough room here.”

“I know that, but I couldn’t do that to you.”

“Yes, you could. I promise it’ll be fine. Besides, don’t you think I should have a say in this too?”

“I guess.” I said rolling my eyes sarcastically. “Since you got me into this mess.”

Justin laughed, “You can stay for as long as you want too. There’s no rush. I’ll help you look for apartments, and all that jazz.”

“Well since you practically begged me, I guess I’ll stay here.”

“I do not beg.”

He wasn’t serious? Do I have to record him and prove it to him? If he doesn’t get his way he immediately turns into a five year old until he gets what he wants.

I patted him on the leg, and stood up, “If you keep telling yourself that. It might come true someday.” I began to walk into the kitchen, and was met by Lynn coming in the door. She looked at me, and couldn’t hide the huge smile that she had working up on her face.

“So that’s why you gained three pounds? Oh honey, I’m so excited.” Lynn said as she placed her purse on the counter, and grabbed my hands.

“You’re not mad?”

“Honey why would I be mad?”

“I figured you would be mad that I took advantage of your son.” I said jokingly.

“Honey, I know my son. If anyone was taking advantage it was him.” She said kissing me on the cheek.

“I heard that!” We heard Justin call from the living room. Lynn and I both rolled our eyes. The doorbell rang, and we heard Trace’s voice enter the house. Oh joy.

“I do have to say that I was shocked at first, but then the thought of having a grandbaby…I’m just so excited!” she said as she walked to the cupboard and grabbed a glass. “Do you want anything to drink?”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Ok. I called your mom a few minutes ago. She’s just as excited as I am. You have to let us go shopping with you. It’s so much fun.”

With all this talk I was starting to get excited myself. My hand immediately came to rest on my stomach. I wasn’t showing at all yet, but still. It was just hard to believe that something was growing inside of me.

“It’s amazing isn’t it?”

My head jerked up to look at Lynn, “What?”

“I just saw you put your hand on your stomach. It’s amazing isn’t? How there’s nothing showing yet, but just knowing that it’s there…it’s an indescribable feeling.”

“It is.”

“So what do you want? A boy or girl?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about that yet.”

“Well either way I’ll be happy.” Lynn said sitting next to me.

Tell me again why I was so scared of telling everyone? Well I guess that’s normal huh? That’s a pretty big bomb to drop on people. Especially one’s that didn’t have any idea what was going on. Speaking of I wonder if Trace knows?

“So how’s the bun?” Trace asked as he wrapped me in a hug. I hugged him back.

“How did you know?” I asked him as he placed a kiss on my cheek.

“I’m not exactly an outsider ya know. Who do you think Justin told the next morning when I dropped you guys off?”

Oh yeah. I kind of forgot that for a while.

“You know I’m actually hurt that you didn’t tell me.”

“Whatever.” I said rolling my eyes I smiled. You know I’m noticing I roll my eyes a lot. I better watch out they might get stuck that way. Boy wouldn’t that be attractive?

Well, I guess the hardest part is over. Now we just have the next nine months to endure. Is it bad that I’m excited about looking like a beached whale?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story