Lance barely registered the fearful expressions on his friends’ faces before he immediately returned his attention to JC. Not hesitating for a second, he rested his right hand over his left and began to press down on JC’s chest. He only stopped the compressions to pinch JC’s nose and breathe into his mouth.

 

As Lance continued the compressions, memories of the last time he had to do this came flooding back. He and Chris had been coming back from a walk when they’d heard someone yell. It hadn’t taken them long to realize that it’d come from where JC had been earlier that day.

 

Chris had jumped in and pulled him out of the water, and Lance had started CPR. The feelings of fear and panic that he’d experienced then were making his heart race and forming a lump in his throat now. The helplessness weighed him down just as much as it had over a year ago.

 

But that was when Lance remembered he had access to something that he hadn’t last time. JC’s mind. So as he continued to go through the motions of pressing down on JC’s chest and blowing air into his mouth, Lance opened the channel in his mind that would allow him to connect to JC.

 

Lance wasn’t sure if it would work if one them was dead, but he knew that he had to try. There were no thoughts, but overwhelming feelings of misery washed over Lance. The unexpectedness of strong emotion caught him off guard, causing him to falter in the middle of a cycle.

 

But almost immediately Lance refocused his energy on the lifesaving technique. Knowing that JC wasn’t dead yet gave him hope that maybe they’d make it out of this after all. There was still time. The devil hadn’t won yet.

 

“He’s alive,” Lance said, glancing up at the other three for a second. He could hear Justin gasp, but his focus remained on trying to get JC to breathe again.

 

“How do you know?” Joey asked with mixture of hope and disbelief.

 

“I felt something. He’s still in there somewhere,” Lance said.

 

“Then go talk to him,” Joey told him, moving closer so that he was on his left. “I’ll take over here.”

 

Justin frowned. “Joey, you’re hurt.”

 

“I’ll do it,” Chris said firmly even as he weakly tried to push himself to a sitting position. His limps shook from the weight.

 

Joey rolled his eyes. “You’re on the verge of passing out. And,” his gaze landed on Justin, “your arm’s broken. I’m the only one who can do it.”

 

“But your shoulder,” Justin protested.

 

“I can do it,” Chris insisted, still trying to sit up, but not having a lot of luck. “There’s nothing wrong with me.”

 

Lance frowned at him. “I don’t know about that, Chris.”

 

“Well, Joey shouldn’t have to do it,” Chris said.

 

“Enough!” Joey shouted, an annoyed expression on his face. “We don’t have time for this! Lance, move so I can take over and you can go talk to JC.”

 

Lance eyed Joey critically for a second. It was easy to see that he was in pain, but there was also determination in his set jaw. Joey was ready to fight him on this, so Lance just sighed heavily as he moved out of the way for him to take his place. He hated putting that responsibility on Joey, especially when he was hurt, but, at the same time, it was necessary for him to try to reach out for JC.

 

Glancing at Justin and Chris with trepidation, he realized he had no idea what he was doing. How had JC done it before? Lance couldn’t remember if Joey or Chris had ever said since they’d been the ones to witness it when JC had done it to him.

 

Knowing he was wasting valuable time, Lance just focused all of his attention on a too still JC and how much he needed to be inside his head. He tried to imagine himself in JC’s head and was surprised when a tingling feeling suddenly spread throughout his body.

 

Whatever he did must’ve done the trick because his surroundings had changed. He was no longer sitting next to the lake in thick mud, but standing in a doorway in the cabin. More specifically the bedroom that JC had stayed in when they’d been on vacation.

 

Lance looked down to see a five year old JC standing beside him whose eyes were wide with horror. Turning his attention to the hall, Lance wasn’t surprised when he saw Alison standing there with the demon in front of her.

 

It wrapped a smoky hand around her neck, and her eyes widened before rolling into the back of her head. Her limp body fell to the floor.

 

“Mom!” JC cried as he ran to her.

 

Lance’s heart ached for his friend. It was worse actually seeing it instead of hearing about it. JC had every right to be upset. Losing his mother in such a horrific way and having to witness it was more than any kid should deal with.

 

The sound of a door closing caught Lance’s attention. He turned his head to the right to look down the hall and saw JC coming towards him. A taller JC who looked to be about twelve. Lance’s eyes followed him as he walked passed him before he stepped out of the doorway to follow JC into a kitchen.

 

“I’m ready to go.”

 

Karen looked up at him in surprise as she braided Heather’s hair before a look of realization passed over her face. “Oh, Josh, honey. I’m sorry, but I can’t take you to the movies.”

 

JC frowned. “Why not?”

 

“Heather’s gymnastics class got moved to today, and I have to take her,” Karen explained.

 

“But Mom,” JC whined. “I’ve been looking forward to this for weeks, and I’m supposed to meet my friends there.”

 

“I’ll take you tomorrow,” Karen said.

 

“My friends aren’t going to be there tomorrow,” JC mumbled bitterly. He glanced at Heather before looking up at his mom. “Why can’t she just miss her thing instead?”

 

Karen sighed. “Because hers is more important.”

 

“Why?” JC asked, his frown deepening.

 

“My stuff’s always more important because I’m her real kid,” Heather cut in before Karen could say anything. She looked at JC smugly. “That means she loves me more.”

 

Karen looked at her in surprise. “Heather!”

 

JC’s face contorted in anger before he reached out and roughly shoved his little sister. She stumbled and fell backwards, her head connecting with the edge of the counter. Heather started to cry, and Karen glared at him.

 

“Joshua Scott Chasez!” Karen scolded. “I don’t care how upset you are. You don’t push your sister!”

 

JC hung his head, a guilty, hurt expression on his face. His shoulders hunched as Karen continued to scold him, while she inspected the back of Heather’s head.

 

Seeing JC and Heather fight reminded Lance of the ones that he and Stacy used to have. It was something that siblings did, but it was clear by looking at JC that he felt horrible for pushing Heather and having her hit her head. And it must’ve been something he took to heart because he always hated when someone got hurt, especially if he was the cause.

 

Lance didn’t take his eyes off JC and was surprised when his features became more chiseled. It was understandable considering JC looked to be in his late teens now.

 

JC’s head was still bowed, but Lance realized it was from exhaustion, not guilt. Tony and Dale were sitting across from him on the floor of a dance studio. The change in scenery caught Lance off guard, but he watched JC, knowing that he had to be seeing this stuff for a reason.

 

“Man, what’s with you, JC? You were all over the place today,” Tony said.

 

JC sighed heavily as he ran a hand through his hair. “I know. This day just keeps getting worse and worse.” He paused. “I should’ve known today was going to be a bad day.”

 

“Why?” Dale asked.

 

“’Cause I woke up late, which gave me all about five minutes to get ready.” JC looked up at them. “You know how much I hate mornings.”

 

“About as much as Dale likes cats,” Tony said, laughing.

 

“Their claws are sharp!” Dale defended.

 

JC smiled at them only to have it fall when Justin sat down next to him. He exchanged exasperated looks with his friends. “What’s up, Justin?” he asked with just a hint of annoyance.

 

“Nothing,” Justin said, shrugging. “I just thought I’d hang out with you guys.”

 

JC glanced at Tony and Dale who rolled their eyes before he turned his attention back to the curly haired twelve year old. “Why don’t you go see what Ryan’s up to?”

 

“He’s busy reading lines,” Justin said.

 

“Then why don’t you practice with him?” JC suggested. “You have that skit with him later, right?”

 

“Yeah,” Justin admitted slowly. “But I want to hang out with you. I haven’t gotten a chance to see you at all today.”

 

Tony and Dale snickered as JC sighed. “I’m not very good company right now, Justin,” JC mumbled.

 

“Why?” Justin’s forehead crinkled in concern. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Just leave me the hell alone!” JC snapped, shaking Justin’s hand off his shoulder. Tony and Dale’s snickering ended abruptly as their eyes widened in shock.

 

Justin frowned, the lines on his forehead increasing. “What did I do? I thought we were friends…”

 

“You’re not my friend!” JC yelled. “You’re just this little kid that follows me around! It’s like every time I turn around, there you are! Just leave me the hell alone!”

 

“Oh,” Justin said softly, his watery eyes focusing on a spot on the floor in front of him. He looked completely crestfallen. “OK.”

 

Without another word, Justin got to his feet and slowly walked away with his head down and his hands shoved into his pockets. JC watched his retreating form, his features clouded with regret. Once Justin was out of sight, JC groaned and banged his head against the wall that he was leaning against.

 

Lance couldn’t believe that JC had yelled at Justin. He’d always thought that they’d gotten along well, but obviously they’d worked it out. It was just surprising because JC hardly ever yelled at any of them, especially Justin.

 

But then maybe that was the reason; he remembered how hurt Justin had been and didn’t want a repeat of it with anyone. It certainly made sense. And it could’ve even possibly been the driving force behind the protectiveness that JC felt towards Justin since he knew from experience what it took to upset him.

 

Lance’s eyes were still fixed on the door that Justin had gone through. He knew that Justin was probably more hurt over the fact that JC had said those mean things to him than the actual words themselves. They all knew that Justin had idolized JC for the longest time, so it probably stung that the guy he looked up to didn’t appreciate it.

 

Lance had been so wrapped up in his thoughts until a voice asked, “What do you want for lunch, Lance?”

 

Immediately Lance’s head jerked up as he frowned in confusion, wondering who was asking him. Only to realize that the question wasn’t directed at him. Or not him in present time anyway.

 

The MMC dance studio that he’d been in just a minute ago had been replaced with a slightly smaller one that had an open ceiling with a couple of fans slowly spinning in a pathetic attempt at cooling off the occupants. Right away he recognized it as the studio they’d used at the beginning of NSYNC when they first got together and before they went overseas.

 

Lance could hear himself telling Joey, who was standing beside his younger self, what he wanted to eat. There was a loud bang as Justin threw his empty water bottle into the metal garbage can before coming over to them.

 

“We leaving now?” he asked.

 

“Did you get what JC wants?” Joey asked in return.

 

 “Cheeseburger and fries,” Justin said, waving a dismissive hand.

 

“Let’s go!” Chris called from the other side of the dance studio, bouncing impatiently on his feet as he waited by the door. “Our break’ll be over before we ever make it to McDonald’s.”

 

Joey rolled his eyes as Justin ran forward towards Chris, knocking into him. He looked at Lance. “We’ll be back soon.”

 

Lance just nodded and sighed as the door closed behind him. He took position before he started counting under his breath as he went through the routine they’d been learning for the majority of that day. But he stumbled when he got to the part where he had to cross his feet before spinning.

 

JC, who’d been watching him, pushed himself away from the wall that he’d been leaning against after setting his water down on the floor. He approached Lance and said, “You almost got it. The thing that’s tripping you up is you’re treating it like two separate moves when it’s one smooth motion. Let me show you.”

 

JC then proceeded to do the routine flawlessly, slowly going through the steps to demonstrate the move Lance was having difficulty with. Once he was finished he looked over at Lance. “Now you try.”

 

Lance didn’t say anything as he put himself into the first position again. His face was scrunched up in concentration as he went through the routine. It was better, except that he stumbled again when he had to cross his feet and spin. He groaned in frustration.

 

“C’mon, Lance,” JC said, sighing. “You can do this. You just need to focus.”

 

“I am focused,” Lance ground out.

 

“You’re too tense. Just relax,” JC said.

 

“You know, some of us aren’t perfect and born with God given talent. We have to actually try at what we do before we succeed,” Lance snapped, glaring at JC. “So excuse me if I can’t hit the steps perfect every time like you.”

 

“I was just trying to help,” JC said quietly.

 

“I didn’t ask for your help. But you felt the need to come over here and show off anyway.”

 

“I wasn’t—” JC tried to defend, but Lance interrupted him.

 

“I’m sick of people like you who butt into other people’s business when they never asked you to. You think you’re helping, but all you’re doing is showing off!” Lance yelled. “Just mind your own business for once and try not to be bothered by the fact that there are people who have to work harder than you!”

 

Lance shook his head as he watched the memory play out. He remembered that day with amazing clarity even before seeing it again just now because it was something that he’d felt horrible about for days afterwards. The crushed look on JC’s face was burned into his mind.

 

He hadn’t meant anything by trying to help, but Lance’s frustration at himself had caused him to lash out. Before the day was over Lance had apologized profusely for what he’d said, knowing that he hadn’t meant it. It was just something that came to him easily in anger. JC had accepted his apology, but Lance could tell just by looking at him that what he’d said was playing over in JC’s head.

 

A click and a slight creak of rusty hinges made Lance turn his head towards the studio door only to find that it wasn’t the same. It was a standard white door that he’d seen in every hotel he and the guys had stayed at while on the road. Joey walked through the door and closed it behind him.

 

JC, who had been curled up in the middle of one of the queen beds, briefly looked up at his entrance before looking back down at the notebook in his lap. But his head snapped back up almost immediately.

 

“What happened?” JC asked worriedly, throwing his notebook onto the nightstand in between the beds as he stood up. Joey’s clothes were damp and smeared with dirt. There was an angry red bump on his forehead that almost matched the color of his hair.

 

“I almost got mugged outside of this strip club,” Joey said, wincing in pain as he sat on the other bed next to Chris.

 

Chris started to ask if he was OK when JC cut him off saying, “What were you doing at a strip club?”

 

“I would’ve thought it’d be pretty obvious,” Joey mumbled.

 

“Is that what you’re going to say when a reporter asks you?” JC asked.

 

Joey frowned in confusion. “What reporter? No one probably even recognized me.”

 

“You’re not a nobody anymore, Joey. People are going to recognize you. There were probably at least a dozen people that knew who you were, and they’re going to talk.”

 

“So?” Joey said.

 

“So you tell me how well the media’s going to react when they find out,” JC replied.

 

“They’re going to think that Joey’s an adult who can go out if he wants,” Chris said, glaring at him.

 

JC crossed his arms. “What about the fans? How do you think they’re going to react?”

 

“I don’t care,” Chris said.

 

“Well, you should! They’re the ones who buy our albums. They made us who we are.” JC paused briefly. “Most of them are just kids who have their parents approve their music. And they won’t like that their kid’s a fan of a group of guys who hang out in strip clubs. Imagine what’ll happen to record sales.”

 

“Not all of our fans are kids and teenagers,” Chris replied.

 

“The majority are, and we owe it to them to be—”

 

“Fake people with no personalities?” Chris finished for JC.

 

JC’s glare intensified. “I never said that. We just need to be good role models, and that means no midnight rendezvous with strippers.”

 

“Did you ever think that maybe that’s why we have fans? Because we’re real people that they can relate to since we screw up like everyone else?” Chris retorted.

 

“Guys…” Joey tried to interrupt, but they didn’t even look at him. Both of them were staring each other down, their jaws set.

 

“That’s not how the music business works,” JC objected firmly. “Especially pop music. We’re supposed to be clean-cut guys that don’t get into trouble, but all of that goes out the window if we’re found partying every night of the week.”

 

“Tonight’s been the first time that Joey’s been out in nearly a month,” Chris pointed out.

 

JC shook his head. “It doesn’t matter, Chris. A lot of our success is based on our image, and all it takes is one night to mess it up. Something the media isn’t afraid to exploit, which is something we can’t afford right now. ”

 

Chris’s eyes narrowed. “Stop lecturing me and acting like you know more about this business than I do. You think that the Mickey Mouse Club gave you experience, but they kept you in a bubble.” He rose from the bed and stepped closer to JC. “I don’t know what your problem is with criticism, but you’re going to have to deal with it. ‘Cause we’re going to be criticized and it’s not always going to be good.”

 

“Joey has to realize that his actions not only affect him, but the rest of us too,” JC said.

 

“I think he got the message,” Chris said coldly. “So you can get off your high horse and start acting like a friend.”

 

“Chris, man, let it go,” Joey replied, weariness apparent in his expression.

 

“I am!” JC defended, ignoring Joey. “A true friend lets someone know when they screw up so they don’t do it again.”

 

Chris shook his head. “A true friend doesn’t blame someone for something that hasn’t even happened yet. You’re being a jackass.”

 

JC flinched at the insult, but Chris kept on going. “You care so damn much about what this could do to our careers, but what about Joey? He could be seriously injured and you wouldn’t even know because you decided to jump on him instead of making sure he was OK.”

 

JC was flabbergasted as he lowered himself back onto the bed. “I just thought…I didn’t mean to…”

 

“To be such a prick?” Chris finished for him. “Well, you were.”

 

An awkward silence fell over the room allowing Lance to remember how that ate away at JC for days afterwards. He apologized to Joey repeatedly even though Joey had accepted his apology the first time. But that wasn’t even enough. JC had tried to make it up to Joey by doing things for him like volunteering to run back to the hotel once they were at the venue just to grab his favorite baseball cap.

 

Joey had finally grown so annoyed that he pulled JC aside one day and told him that what he was doing wasn’t necessary because he didn’t hold any animosity towards what JC had done. And JC had backed off like Joey had wanted. But Lance was sure that JC held onto it as one more situation he would try to never repeat.

 

Knowing that JC eventually dealt with it and moved on didn’t stop Lance’s heart from aching at the remorse that was reflected on JC’s face once Chris had finished yelling at him. Even though Lance knew it was a memory, he stepped forward, wanting to comfort his friend. But when he did the hotel room faded and it was replaced with woods.

 

Lance groaned when he recognized it as the first time they had been at the cabin and Katrina had taken JC. A bolt of lightning struck the base of the tree, causing it to fall forward. He watched as the memory version of himself ran forward and pushed JC out of the way only to have the tree land on his leg.

 

Closing his eyes at the crack that signaled his leg had been broken, Lance winced as he remembered how excruciating the pain had been. When he opened his eyes again, he wasn’t sure what to expect since everything seemed to change so rapidly. But he was still in the woods.

 

There was some soft mumbling from behind Lance, so he turned around to see JC was kneeling next to Lance’s still form as he performed CPR. He went through the cycles for what felt like ten minutes, but Lance was sure it’d only been half that. Finally, Justin pulled JC away and pulled him into a hug as he started to sob.

 

Lance expected to see himself wake up like he knew he had. But his body continued to lay there as Justin and JC cried just a foot away. He quickly deduced that this must be the nightmare that JC’d had right after it’d happened. Lance remembered JC confiding in him that he’d died, and Lance had assured him.

 

But seeing it actually play out, Lance understood now why JC had a hard time letting go of this nightmare. The reality of what could’ve happened was the most troubling thing about it, and that was what probably bothered JC the most about it.

 

Lance’s attention was drawn away from his dead body when he heard voices to his left. He turned to see JC was standing in the middle of an opening in the woods, talking to something.

 

“What…what are you talking about? I didn't do anything!” JC shouted as he clenched his fists at his sides.

 

“Yes, you did. You got Lance to try to commit suicide,” the voice said.

 

“No!” JC yelled. “That was you!”

 

The voice let out its haunting laugh that bounced off the hundred year old trees. “I knew you were smarter than I gave you credit for.”

 

“Why?” JC asked. “What did he ever do to you?”

 

“Nothing. Wish I could say the same for you though.”

 

JC furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “What?”

 

“Not so smart after all,” the voice said with amusement. “I used him to get to you.”

 

“Get to me?” JC repeated.

 

“I know how much your friends mean to you. I know how you look after all of them and feel responsible for their safety.” A smirk was apparent in the voice. “I know how guilty you feel about all the bad things that have been happening to them, and you should. It is your fault.”

 

“Wh…what?” JC choked out. He whipped his head around in all directions, his eyes bouncing around the area.

 

“I never would've messed with Lance's head if it weren't for you. He was quite easy to manipulate once I weakened his defenses.”

 

“But why?”

 

“To hurt you. We figured it would affect you a lot more if we hurt your friends.”

 

“We?” JC said weakly.

 

“You didn't think I was the only one, did you?”

 

“Every…everything that's happened…”

 

“All because of you,” the demon finished.

 

Lance stared in disbelief as JC dropped his head into his hands. JC had mentioned what the demon had said to him, but hearing it for himself…Lance wasn’t surprised that JC believed everything was his fault and continued to harbor that belief. The demon said some pretty hurtful things and played right into JC’s mind, knowing what he was thinking.

 

Just then a blur ran past him, and Lance’s stomach churned as he saw Justin chase JC into the auto care center of Wal-Mart. He knew what was coming and, as much as he’d wanted to know exactly what’d happened, he didn’t really care to see right now. Not that he had much of a choice.

 

JC had just bent down to pick up a candle when he heard Justin mumble, “Oh shit.”

 

“What?” JC asked concerned at the scared face Justin was displaying when he turned around.

 

“We need to leave. Now,” Justin said.

 

JC nodded and immediately stood up, the candle forgotten as he joined Justin. They hadn’t taken more than a few steps when all of the sudden the darkness seemed to thicken. Except for two pairs of red eyes that belonged to the demons.

 

Justin’s eyes widened as the two demons on each side of him grabbed his arms. “JC!”

 

“Justin!”

 

JC ran forward, his bag slipping from his fingers as he reached out to grab Justin away from the demons. But just as his fingers skimmed the fabric of Justin’s shirt, the demons disappeared taking Justin with them.

 

Lance had forced himself not to run forward to try to stop the demons from taking Justin. He had to remind himself that everything he’d seen had already happened, but it was easy to forget with how real it felt. It was almost like he was there. Except that he wasn’t. He was just a bystander watching JC’s memories.

 

The garage morphed into a bedroom. JC’s bedroom at Lance’s house to be exact. It was torment for Lance knowing what he was about to see and not having the ability to look away.

 

A demon appeared behind Joey and JC immediately put himself between it and Joey. It laughed at him before it moved to the ceiling where it dispersed, its black smoke turning into red flames that spread across the ceiling and down the walls. There was panic in their eyes as the fire moved closer, engulfing the room.

 

The room filled with smoke, and Joey began to cough. His chest heaving with the effort to breathe in between coughing fits from the oxygen that was being consumed by the fire. It weakened him to the point where he collapsed, forcing JC to catch him to save him from falling into the surrounding flames.

 

In desperation, JC shouted at the demon, but only seemed to make the fire move faster. Lance watched horrified as it closed in on his friends and JC tried not to panic. But suddenly the scene changed again, and Lance felt a little miffed. Even though he knew that JC and Joey had made it out alive and with hardly any injuries, he’d never found out exactly how the fire had been stopped.

 

Lance forced himself to put that out of his mind though as he found himself in the backseat of Chris’s car. His sole attention was on his two friends that were sitting up front. JC was in the passenger seat, yelling at Chris.

 

“What the hell are you doing?”

 

“Taking you to the hospital. Your hand’s infected,” Chris said firmly.

 

“I don’t care! Pull over!” JC yelled.

 

“JC—”

 

“Pull over, Chris. We can call an ambulance or something. Just pull over!”

 

Chris sighed, but nodded. “All right. As soon as we make it through this light,” he said, gesturing to the light ahead of them that just changed from red to green.

 

JC didn’t say anything, but relaxed in his seat a little. The car just passed under the traffic light and reached the middle of the intersection when a car coming at a fast speed from the left slammed into the driver’s side. Chris and JC’s bodies were jarred from the impact as the other car’s momentum caused theirs to slide twenty feet across the intersection.

 

Lance closed his eyes, trying to get the image of an unconscious Chris and JC out of his mind. They’d almost lost both of them, and that wasn’t something Lance wanted to relive.

 

It was something he was granted when he opened his eyes to see the yard behind the cabin. JC stood in place as the devil stood just over his shoulder, whispering into his ear as JC watched Lance and the rest of the guys fight against the demons.

 

“Stop trying to fight it. You won’t win, so you might as well enjoy the show.”

 

A loud snap sounded as Lance crumbled to the ground in a heap. The demon that’d attacked him moved back towards Chris. It had just lifted him a few inches off the ground when Justin came sliding up to him and stuck the demon with the knife, causing it to disappear.

 

Then JC’s attention shifted to Joey who was dodging his demon. It nearly got the upper hand, but Joey was ready for it and stabbed the demon with the knife in his hand. The hope was almost visible on JC’s face once the demons were gone.

 

“I’d rethink that if I were you,” the devil said.

 

JC’s forehead crinkled in confusion at the devil’s words before his gaze landed on Joey who was kneeling on the ground next to Lance, trying to shake his shoulder. But the Lance in the memory didn’t awaken, which Lance had expected since he hadn’t regained consciousness until Katrina started to heal his leg.

 

Lance glanced at JC whose face had fallen, tears brimming in his eyes, and that was all he needed to know that JC hadn’t known Lance was unconscious. Then a sob escaped JC’s lips, forcing him to gasp for air. Even though the devil couldn’t see Lance since it was just a memory, he glared at it for causing JC unnecessary pain.

 

The glare only intensified when the devil put a hand on JC’s shoulder and he cried out in pain before he collapsed to the muddy ground. JC tried to get up several times, but his body couldn’t seem to hold itself up. He finally managed to prop himself up when four more demons appeared between him and the other guys.

 

“Did you honestly think I wasn’t going to send more?” the devil, bent down low, spoke softly into JC’s ear. “Your friends don’t stand a chance.”

 

As if in direct parallel to its words, Joey’s shoulder popped out of place with a nauseating crack. Joey lied on his back, temporarily dazed for a minute before he pushed himself to his feet and killed the demon that’d hurt him. But then Chris cried out in pain as a demon knocked into Justin’s side with a loud crack.

 

Justin had no time to recover before the same demon lifted him off the ground and wrapped its hand around his neck, choking him.

 

“I think we know how this is going to end,” the devil said, forcing JC to his feet.

 

“No,” JC protested weakly, refusing to tear his eyes away from the demon that continued to choke Justin, even as he kicked and clawed at it.

 

But the devil ignored him as it turned him around, shoving JC forward. He stumbled, his legs almost giving out on him. The only thing that kept him upright was the devil’s bony arm around his shoulder.

 

They paused as the demon whispered, “You hear that?” There was a sudden snap, bone grinding against bone, that had JC cringing. “You’ve just lost another friend.”

 

“No,” JC choked out, collapsing to the ground, his knees slamming into the unyielding earth.

 

Lance felt anger course through his veins. JC was forced to believe that he and Justin were dead. The heartache and misery just radiated off of JC in waves, which just caused Lance’s anger to boil even more. He knew that while JC wasn’t going to fight the devil when it went to kill him, he’d beg for it knowing that two of his friends were dead. It was even worse when he calculated JC’s tendency to blame himself for everything.

 

Determination filled Lance’s body as he looked around wondering if he was going to have to watch any more memories because all he wanted to do at that moment was find JC. He stood there for a minute waiting for the scene to change again, but it didn’t.

 

Lance wasn’t sure what to make of that, but he figured maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was probably the last horrible thing JC had seen before the devil had thrown him into the lake. That made Lance’s eyes widen in realization. All of the memories he’d seen were meant to torture JC. No doubt the work of the devil.

 

It was time to find JC and bring him back, but Lance wasn’t sure where to go. He started walking towards the lake since that was the last place JC had been. Lance had just reached the still water and was debating where to go from there when he heard crying. His eyes narrowed as he searched the surrounding area wondering where it was coming from.

 

It sounded like it was originating from inside the woods. Lance wasn’t sure if that was right or not, but it gave him a direction to go in. Without another thought, he walked into the woods, trying not to trip over anything in the darkness.

 

Rain continued to pour from the sky, and the dense trees only made the darkness that much more suffocating. The crying was hard to hear over the rumble of the thunder, but it did grow louder, which gave Lance hope that he was on the right track. Finally after nearly five minutes of walking through the woods as he ducked under tree branches and avoided tripping on roots, his eyes landed on a figure that was curled up in a ball.

 

“Thank God,” Lance breathed in relief. He frowned as he watched JC’s shoulders shake, his body wracked with sobs. His knees were pulled up to his chest, his arms wrapped around them protectively, while his head rested on top of his knees. It seemed that JC wasn’t even aware someone else had joined him.

 

Lance slowly approached JC and put a hand on his shoulder. Both to get his attention and to comfort him. The contact got JC to lift his head off his knees only for his eyes to widen in disbelief and anguish.

 

“No, no,” JC protested, weakly pulling away from Lance. “Not you too.”

 

“What are you talking about, JC?” Lance asked softly, crouching down in front of him. He reached out to touch JC, but JC tightened his hold around his knees. So Lance dropped his hand to his side, not wanting to push JC when he was in such a fragile state.

 

“You’re not supposed to be here. You’re…dead,” JC choked out. “But you can’t be here. Not in Hell.”

 

Lance sighed softly. He had expected this once he saw that JC believed he and Justin had died, so he knew he had to tread carefully. It wouldn’t do him any good if he got JC even more freaked and he refused to leave with him. And the first step was to convince JC that he and Justin were alive.

 

“This isn’t Hell, and I’m not dead,” Lance said. He paused to let that sink in before he added, “Neither is Justin.”

 

“You’re lying. I saw what happened.” JC swallowed thickly, his Adam’s apple bobbing as his breath hitched. “I saw…you were so still…”

 

“You saw me unconscious, JC,” Lance said, gently.

 

JC’s tear filled gaze met Lance’s clear green one. “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to protect you.” JC looked away as he wiped at his tears, even as they continued to cascade down his cheeks. “Or Justin.”

 

Lance refrained from rolling his eyes. Typical JC. Always felt responsible for everything, no matter what it was or if it was actually his fault. But after seeing all those horrible memories, it was easy to see that guilt was part of who he was since it started at such a young age. Though, Lance was determined to alleviate some of that guilt.

 

“You don’t have to apologize because—”

 

“It’s not my fault,” JC interrupted, his voice monotone.

 

“No, it’s not your fault,” Lance agreed. “But I was going to say you don’t have to apologize because we’re not dead.”

 

“This is some kind of trick,” JC mumbled to himself, resting his chin on his knees. “It has to be.”

 

“It’s not a trick. Think about it. What was the last thing you saw happen to me?”

 

“You died,” JC whispered.

 

Lance shook his head. “Before that.”

 

JC raised his eyes to meet Lance’s. “You broke your leg.”

 

“That’s right,” Lance agreed, nodding. He felt like he was talking to a kid, but he knew JC was just trying to cope with everything that he saw. “There’s no reason for me to be dead. People don’t die from broken bones.”

 

“Justin did,” JC objected quietly, his eyes fixed on his knees again.

 

Lance reached out to put a hand on JC’s arm, and this time JC didn’t pull away. “No, he didn’t.”

 

“But I heard…”

 

“The devil tricked you,” Lance said. He saw the doubt in JC’s eyes and added, “Katrina showed up before the demon could kill Justin. She saved him, and she healed my leg.”

 

“I tried to reach you…but there was nothing. I couldn’t feel you anymore,” JC said quietly.

 

“I don’t know how that happened, but I’m pretty sure the devil was behind it. He wanted you to believe that I was dead. He’s been messing with your mind.”

 

JC’s eyes slowly took in Lance’s appearance. Lance didn’t remove his hand from JC’s arm as he waited for his friend to realize that he and Justin were still alive. There was no way he’d convince JC to leave with him otherwise.

 

Finally after a minute JC’s eyes locked with Lance’s as he asked, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m here to bring you back,” Lance said.

 

“To what?” JC asked, frowning in confusion.

 

“To us, JC.” Lance let out a heavy sigh before locking eyes with JC. This was harder than he thought it’d be. “You’re not dead.”

 

“But I’m in Hell,” JC protested.

 

“No, you’re not. We’re in your head, and you’re still alive.” Lance paused. “I don’t think I could be here if you weren’t.”

 

That was certainly one idea he’d never entertained, and it unsettled him to think about it now. They’d learned more about his and JC’s connection over the past few weeks, but there was still so much that they didn’t know. And while he wanted answers to all of it, this was one particular thing he didn’t want to know.

 

“But…the memories…” JC said. He took a shaky breath and looked down. “It felt like I was in Hell.”

 

Lance shook his head. “The devil’s been controlling what you see, but you’re not dead yet. I think Hell will be worse than this.”

 

“Worse?” JC asked, his voice cracking.

 

Lance rubbed his hand up and down JC’s arm in what he hoped was a soothing manner. It killed him to see JC like this. He was normally so strong, which was a testament to how hard all of this was hitting him.

 

JC blinked rapidly as he tried to fight another round of tears. Lance wanted nothing more than to leave with JC, so this all could be over. It was time for them to put all of the terrible things that’d happened to them behind them and move onto better times. And all Lance had to do was look at JC, who was so broken, to know that he didn’t want to die and spend an eternity in Hell. But he was too stubborn to admit it, so somehow Lance had to break through that.

 

“You don’t have to do this. You don’t have to die, and you don’t have to go to Hell,” Lance said.

 

“Yes, I do,” JC protested weakly.

 

“No, you don’t,” Lance insisted. “You’re not dead yet, JC. All you have to do is come back with me, and it’ll all be over.”

 

JC pulled his arm out of Lance’s grasp. “It’ll never be over.”

 

“Yes, it will. This was the last attempt, JC. The devil can’t hurt you or the rest of us ever again,” Lance said.

 

JC shook his head. “I can’t.”

 

“JC,” Lance ducked his head so his eyes met JC’s, “you don’t want to do this and you know it. So just come back with me.”

 

“I can’t,” JC repeated, a little more firmly, but still so broken. “This is where I’m supposed to be.”

 

Lance shook his head. “You’re supposed to be with us.”

 

“You’re wrong,” JC said sadly. “I was never supposed to survive. I’m just making things right.”

 

“God damn it, JC! This isn’t right!” Lance snapped.

 

At JC’s flinch, he forced himself to take a calming breath. Anger wasn’t going to get him anywhere with JC. He had to stay calm and gentle.

 

“You can’t leave us like this JC.” Lance paused. “If you come back for anything, come back for Justin. He was devastated when he found out you left. He thought you were dead. Don’t make him go through that again.”

 

“He can handle it. He’ll have you guys,” JC said softly.

 

Lance bit his tongue to keep himself from snapping at JC. All he wanted to do was shake him to make him see that what he was doing to himself was unnecessary. But it didn’t surprise him that even though JC was being tortured, he still thought he was doing the right thing for them.

 

JC was so damn stubborn, especially when it came to their safety. It’d be flattering even if it wasn’t so aggravating. But that’s how JC was. He would do anything to keep them safe, even if it cost him something in return. The only way to deal with JC when he was like this was to turn the tables to make him realize what he was doing.

 

That thought suddenly sparked an idea, and Lance refocused his gaze on JC’s face. “It’s your decision, but I’m not going to let you die alone.”

 

“You can’t do that,” JC said. “What’ll happen to you?”

 

Lance shrugged. “Once you’re dead, your thoughts will no longer exist. I’ll probably just disappear. I’ll probably be catatonic for the rest of my life.”

 

“You can’t do that,” JC repeated, staring at Lance in disbelief. “The guys…”

 

“They’ll have each other,” Lance said, an icy edge to his voice.

 

The only way for JC to understand what their lives would be like without him was for JC to imagine what life would be like without one of them. He didn’t understand his own importance, but he understood Lance’s.

 

“No.” JC shook his head. “No. You can’t do that to them. Just leave.” JC looked up at Lance desperately. “Please.”

 

“I’m not leaving,” Lance said, firmly. “Not without you.”

 

JC locked eyes with Lance. There was a small flicker of hope behind the agony and desperation. Lance latched onto that. It put him at ease knowing that JC wasn’t completely lost in the pain he’d been experiencing.

 

Suddenly everything blurred as Lance felt himself being ripped away from JC. Lance blinked to clear his vision, and his eyes fell on JC’s body lying in front of him. JC’s lifeless body. Joey finished the chest compressions before blowing two puffs of air into his mouth.

 

There was no response, and Lance’s heart clenched painfully as he let his eyes fall to his lap. This couldn’t be happening. But before he could really wrap his head around the fact that one his best friends was dead, there was a sharp intake of breath immediately followed by coughing.

 

Lance’s head shot up to see Joey helping JC to a sitting position as he continued to cough up the water that’d filled his lungs. Relief flooded over Lance. He’d really almost thought that they’d lost JC, despite everything they’d gone through.

 

Joey sat back on his heels to give JC some space as the coughing subsided, leaving JC panting. But as soon as Joey backed off, Justin flung his arms around JC and held him tightly, tears mixing with the still steadily falling rain. It took a few seconds, but JC weakly brought his arms up and wrapped them around Justin’s back.

 

A loud sigh of relief came from behind the pair and Lance saw Chris fall back to the grass, his lips slightly parted. Lance then turned his gaze to Joey who looked exhausted and offered a weak smile.

 They were a little worse for the wear, but they were alive. And that was all that mattered.
Chapter End Notes:

So that's it for the final batte. But never fear, there's still so much drama ahead. The aftermath's coming up starting in the next chapter, so you guys are really getting close to the end.

Thanks for those of you who've left reviews! I'm glad to hear that you guys are enjoying it. Hope it stays that way.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story