“When we get there you’re going to have your photo taken, by yourself and with me-”

“What about me?” Trace interrupts, nudging Charlotte and trying not to grin. Amelia ignores him.

“Then dinner will be served,” and under her breath she adds, “dresses will be ruined.”

“Hey,” Justin says, scowling at her and she looks up from the folder Isabel had handed her before the limo pulled away from the curb. She smiles sweetly, patting his knee.

“I was kidding,” she says with a sigh and then as she looks down at the folder again he sees Trace mouth “no she wasn’t” and then wink at him. He gives him a small smile. “Then there will be some dancing-”

“And drinking,” Trace interrupts, reaching out his fist which Justin bumps with his own and Amelia frowns, whether its from being interrupted or Justin and Trace’s camaraderie Charlotte isn’t sure.

“At 11 we’ll bring out the cake and you’ll blow out the candles-”

“Wait, I said no candles,” Justin interrupts, his eyes widening. “Come on Amelia it was the one thing-”

“Fine, fine,” Amelia snaps attempting to slam the folder shut but fails because of the flimsy weight of it. “I’ll cancel the candles. Honestly Justin I don’t know why you’re so upset. It’s just another year and your thirties are when you hit your prime anyway.”

“Actually that’s only women,” Trace says with a nod. “Guys hit their prime at about eighteen.”

Amelia grits her teeth, giving Trace a look that says she would kill him if she weren’t in evening wear. “I wasn’t talking about sex, Tracey.”

“Can we not talk about this right now?” Justin asks, letting his head fall back and Charlotte reaches out, patting his knee understandingly.

His head snaps up to look at her and she pulls her hand back immediately, giving him a sheepish grin. He smiles back at her, chuckling to himself. Wasn’t she the one who always flinched when he touched her? He needs to calm down. It’s just a party. He’s been to a million of them. Just a massive, formal birthday party celebrating the fact that he’s ancient.

“And then after the cake has been served and everything you’ll give your speech,” Amelia continues and Justin’s mind jars.

“What? You didn’t say anything about a speech,” he says, eyeing her and panicking slightly.

“Well it’s your birthday Justin!” Amelia says with a sigh. “People are going to expect you to say something. It’s not a big deal, just thank everyone for coming and me for throwing the thing.”

She smiles sweetly, leaning over to peck his cheek and he smiles slightly, shaking his head. She can drive him crazy, make him want to strangle her and then she does something like that and none of it matters, just the fact that he loves her.

As the car slows, his brow creases, hearing shouts and voices from outside. Maybe he’ll get lucky and there’ll be some horrible altercation in the street that will force him to miss his party. He turns in his seat and his eyes widen as he sees the street lined with cars, the front of 583 Park lit up like the fourth of July. His mouth hangs open as he sees all the people out front, pressed against the barricades that keep them from overflowing onto the red carpet. They pull up to the curb and the flashbulbs have already started, the three or four paparazzi stationed to get shots of the guests as they get out of their town cars and limos snapping pictures in anticipation.

“Amelia, what-”

But he doesn’t get a chance to finish, the door opening and Amelia is out of the car in a flash. He’s next, scrambling as best he can still slightly dazed. The flashbulbs blind him and the smile that pulls at his lips is second nature, squinting from the blinding light. Somehow his hand manages to find Amelia’s lower back as they stop and pose.

“Where is your jacket?” she asks through clenched teeth, her smile brilliant and he’s about to turn when he feels a small hand on his shoulder blade.

His hand reaches back and Charlotte is slipping his jacket up his arms in an instant and he feels the tremor of her hands before she pulls back. He hopes Trace is gentleman enough to give her his as he pops his lapels like the true showman he is.

But he doesn’t have much time to think on it then, people shouting his name from all directions, girls cheering happy birthday, grown men egging him on about his age and the flashes are non-stop. He’s always so amazed that people care enough about his life to show up to things like this. To stand in the cold and wait for him to arrive just to wave a little before going inside.

Cries of “Justin” and “Amelia!” surround them as they step up to the deck. The wall behind them is swathed in black and white gossamer, twinkle lights behind them and Justin wonders briefly how much this all cost. He stands and poses, his hands shoved in his pockets looking in the different directions and smiling. Amelia’s arm slips around his waist, clutching him to her side as she joins him and he feels slightly claustrophobic from all the attention, turning his head here and there, smiling brightly for the camera. He glances to his right, fidgeting slightly and he can see the area near the entrance, dark without the high contrast lighting that warms his face. His eyes find Charlotte, gleaming white in the shadows, her slight frame trembling as she waits for them to be finished. Trace is nowhere to be found.

Amelia’s head tilts closer to his shoulder and he gives her hip a squeeze, silently asking how much longer. She looks up at him and gives him a small smile before sighing and releasing him from her grasp. He raises a hand, stepping away from her and the shutters increase as he begins to walk away, Amelia staying behind for a few solo shots.

He takes a deep breath as he jogs up to Charlotte, his body uncoiling slightly now that he’s in the shadows. He stands next to her, watching Amelia preen in front of the cameras and he fights the urge to roll his eyes. Amelia never could resist a photo op. A sharp gust of wind blows through the red carpet, ruffling dresses and hair and Justin hears Charlotte hiss, the tiniest of whimpers pulling from the back of her throat.

“Come on,” Justin says, slipping his jacket off again and draping it around her shoulders. “Lets go inside.”

“I-I-I have to st-st-stay and w-w-wait…” she says and then swallows hard, clutching his jacket closed around her.

“Hey Justin.”

Charlotte watches Justin’s head turn and she follows his gaze, her eyes widening as she sees Patti sauntering towards them. Her dress is simple and sleek, hugging her curves in all the right ways and Charlotte envies the cinch of her waist and the length of her legs. She also envies the way Justin’s eyes travel smoothly over her body in that way that men have.

“Hey Patti,” Justin says, giving her a quick smile and Charlotte doesn’t miss the brush of Patti’s shoulder against his as she returns it, slinking her way into the building.

She watches Justin’s eyes follow Patti briefly before he turns back to her blinkingly as if trying to remember what they had been talking about. Jealousy tastes bitter in her mouth as she crosses her arms in front of herself, trying to hold some of her warmth in, Justin’s clean scent surrounding her and she fights the hard tremor that shakes its way through her.

“Come on, Charlie,” Justin says reaching his hand out to rub up and down her bicep quickly. “You’re freezing.”

“I know b-b-but-”

“Hey, its my birthday,” he says placing both his hands on her biceps, rubbing up and down quickly. “You have to do what I say.”

She gives him an uncertain look but when another gust of wind blows through she gives a hard shiver and turns towards the entrance to the building, her shoes clicking as she hurries inside.

Justin’s eyes widen as they walk into the large hall, the elegance overwhelming him for a moment and he marvels that this is all for him. Men in tuxedos sit at round tables chatting easily about the stock market and the weather. Women in designer dresses mill about, hurrying from one group to the next and gossiping among themselves. Heads turn their direction and smug smiles pull at lips, eyebrows raise and people lean in to whisper. This is how it is at society parties and Justin is struck dumb by the fact that his birthday has been turned into a gala event. But with Amelia why would he expect any less?

“This is a fuckin’ disaster,” he mutters as he steps out of the way to allow a few people to pass him, receiving polite nods from them in return.

“It was nice of her to do this for you,” Charlotte says gently, her voice slightly hopeful and Justin sighs.

“There’s a fuckin’ red carpet outside,” Justin says and Charlotte can’t help but giggle at the absurdity of his statement.

“I’m sorry,” she says, reaching up to cover her mouth with her hand but the sleeve of his jacket gets in the way. “It just sounds so ridiculous.”

“SEE!” he exclaims an unwilling chuckle pulling from his throat as well and he sighs letting his head hang back. “How do I let her talk me into this stuff?”

Charlotte gives him a small smile, slipping her arms out of his jacket and the lights catching on the silk of her dress and he’s struck suddenly with the vision of her walking towards him, a bouquet of gardenia blooms cascading over her hands. He shakes his head hard as she holds his coat out to him and sighs.

“Because you love her.”

He eyes her questioningly, confused by the sad lilt of her voice as he swings his jacket back, slipping it up his shoulders. He’s adjusting his collar as she looks at her feet, her French manicured toes peeking out from under the hem of her dress. He smiles.

“You went all out for this huh?” he asks and she looks up at him, a blush pinkening her cheeks as she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

“I just wanted to prove Am-“ she pauses, her eyes widening as she realizes who she’s speaking to, “Erm…some people wrong.”

Justin chuckles, bobbing his head knowingly. He smirks. “You sure it wasn’t you just wanting to look pretty for me on my birthday?”

He grins, reaching out to nudge her with the back of his hand and the skin of her bicep is soft against his knuckles, her flesh still slightly chilled. She takes a step back, her cheeks flaming red and he shuffles his feet laughing slightly and enjoying her bashfulness. She smiles at him finally, the dimple in her cheek revealing itself for a moment before she sighs.

“Yes Justin,” she says, a giggle bubbling from her throat. “It was all for you.”

“I’m a lucky man,” he finds himself saying and their smiles fade slightly, staring at each other and the waiting is back, that odd sensation they’d felt in Memphis and both are speechless.

The spell is broken as a camera flash blinds them, both reaching up to shield their eyes at the unexpected assault.

“Sorry kid,” the guy says and as the spots slowly clear from Justin’s vision he recognizes the older man holding the camera.

“Michael! Dude you know I hate it when you do that,” Justin says, rubbing his eyes and the photographer laughs.

“Yeah sorry kid,” he says checking his lens. “The boss lady wants candids.”

“Amelia hired you?” Justin asks perplexed and Michael nods.

“To document your fabulous birthday extravaganza,” he says and they both roll their eyes before smiling. “Well I gotta go,” he says wiggling his camera by way of explanation and Justin grins. “I’ll see you when you blow out them candles.”
 
Justin grimaces. “I said no candles dude. Fuck candles.”

Michael laughs before turning and weaving his way into the crowd, snapping pictures here and there. Justin remembers long photo shoots with him back when he was still with the group and a certain sense of nostalgia hits him. He misses the old days of eighteen hour rehearsals, dinner on the go and nonstop promotion. He frowns. What is he saying?

“Who was that?” Charlotte asks breaking his train of thought and Justin blinks.

“Oh that was Michael Lissen. I’ve known him since I was fourteen. He used to do promo shots for the group I was in,” Justin says, crossing his arms over his chest and sighing. “God I’m old.”

Charlotte laughs. “You’re not old,” she scolds lightly and Justin snorts but a smile is pulling at his lips.

“Well at least now I know I won’t die young,” he quips and Charlotte giggles, watching him watch the crowd.

She likes the loose curl of his hair, the slight hint of stubble on his cheek. She likes how broad his shoulders look in his tux, how tall he is. She likes the clean simple scent of him but most of all she loves the way he looks when he’s happy. Really genuinely happy like when he teases her about Amelia’s other airhead assistants being ‘Charlie’s Angels’ or when Felicity asked whether Nebraska was a city or a state and they had laughed so hard tears were streaming down their faces. 

“You…you look good tonight, J,” she says softly before she can stop herself and his head snaps to her looking at her slightly bewildered.

He watches her carefully, reading her face slowly and he realizes that she means it. So often he’s told he looks nice or did something well just to get a compliment reciprocated but there is no agenda to Charlotte’s words, just the fact that it’s his birthday and she thinks he looks nice. A smile pulls across his face and he stands a little straighter, smoothing his hands down the lapels of his jacket.

“Thanks Charlie,” he says and she smiles up at him, her eyes deep and green and there’s a tug in his belly, an overwhelming pull to step closer to her, to cup her face, to-

“Justin! Come on there are people here who want to talk to you!”

He jumps as he feels Amelia’s fingers curl around his bicep and before he even has a chance to think he’s being drug away, leaving Charlotte standing by herself, a lonely angel in the corner.


***


“I need a drink.”

Justin slides tiredly onto a barstool, rubbing his face slowly. His feet hurt, his back aches and his jaw is sore from smiling. He is convinced that he and Amelia had spoken to every single person in the room, forced to listen to who bought what at the latest Christie’s auction and trite conversation about the wedding. What flowers were they choosing? Who was doing the catering? Did Amelia finally decide on a dress? What few questions actually pertained to him had more to do with his artists than his own career and it was all so thoroughly depressing he just wanted to scream. He sighs, staring forlornly at the wooden bar top jumping when a Jack and Coke slides into view. He looks up slightly bewildered and smiles when he recognizes the bartender from his restaurant. She gives him a warm smile in return before shuffling down the bar to take care of the other guests.

“Fuck dude this is some party.”

Justin turns to find Trace sliding onto a barstool next to him, his tie already loosened around his neck. He looks tired and Justin can tell instantly that something is bothering him. It’s then that he realizes that he hasn’t seen his friend once as he was making the rounds with Amelia.

“You okay, dude?” Justin asks, taking a sip of his drink and instantly feeling better. Nothing like a little alcohol and his best friend to brighten his mood.

“Yeah,” Trace says waving a hand dismissively before signaling to the bartender and pointing at Justin’s drink. She nods and begins making him one. “Ginger called me as soon as we got here,” he rolls his eyes, “crying.”

Justin’s brow creases. “Why?”

“Well,” he pauses as his drink is set in front of him. “Thanks – well she’s all upset now because she didn’t come with me. Something about being mean to me?” He shrugs. “I dunno she was just freaking out so I was trying to calm her down.”

“That sucks, bro,” Justin says patting his friend on the back and taking another drink. “Maybe you could-”

“Justin, darling how are you?”

Justin cringes slightly as the high cultured voice of his future mother-in-law reaches his ears. He turns and finds an older version of Amelia, tall and lithe, her white blonde hair pulled back in an elegant twist, her blue eyes not quite as bright as Amelia’s and the skin around them not quite as firm. For a woman of fifty-three she looks like she’s in her thirties which is a testament to her surgeon, not that she would admit to any of that. She comes from a long line of Ladies Who Lunch, a lifetime spent throwing charity balls and jet-setting to Europe for fashion week, training her to be poised and gracious, refined and demure and above all else vicious when crossed.

“Molly!” Justin exclaims, smiling warmly at her and she holds out her hand which he takes and squeezes. “Glad you could make it.”

“Yes well you know I never miss a good party,” she says smiling at him and he forces a grin. She never misses a good opportunity to gossip.

“Preston with you?” he asks when she doesn’t continue and she shakes her head.

“Oh no, dear he’s in Los Angeles for work,” she says waving a hand dismissively. “He was so sorry he couldn’t make it,” She looks around and her nose wrinkles just slightly. “He loves barbeque.”
 
Trace sniggers. “You must be Amelia’s mother,” he says and Molly turns her cool gaze to him, standing just a little straighter.

“Molly, this is my best friend, Trace,” Justin says and Molly’s chin tips up, looking down the tiny slope of her nose.

“Oh…you’re the best man,” Molly says, her voice tight and Trace grins. “I’ve…heard so much about you.”

“It’s all true,” Trace smirks, taking a big gulp of his drink and Molly bristles. “Now like I was sayin’ J,” Trace says, swallowing and smacking Justin’s arm with the back of his hand. “You have to get the high class strippers for the bachelor party. Like that’s not where you scrimp and save you know what I mean?”

Molly’s eyebrows raise but other than that her face betrays nothing, six generations of blue blood running through her veins giving her the ability to handle any situation with grace. She gives him a polite smile before turning her attention back to Justin.

“You must just be in love with this party,” Molly gushes and Justin forces another smile. “Black and white, how elegant!”

“Yeah, it was Amelia’s idea,” Justin says with a smile he hopes is warm.

“Well obviously dear,” Molly says with a chuckle and she reaches out to straighten Justin’s tie, “I’m so glad you decided to go with the black suit instead of the white. Amelia said you were debating.”

“Oh…” Justin says, shifting uncomfortably as Molly’s fingers smooth the bowtie at his neck. “Yeah um I wanted the white but-”

“This is obviously such a better choice,” Molly interrupts, looking him up and down. “You’re such a handsome young man.”

“Yep he always was the lady killer,” Trace says, motioning to the bartender for another drink. Molly eyes him disapprovingly and Justin sees where Amelia gets it.

“It’s good to see you again, Justin,” she says smiling at him and reaching to pat his knee stiffly. “We should all have dinner soon. Amelia says you love Sasabune.”

“Yeah I-”

“Sasabune? That sushi place? I love that place! Maybe I could come too,” Trace interrupts, and Molly blinks at him slowly her eyes cool, her face a mask.

“Yes…well…” she clears her throat. “Enjoy your party, Justin.”

And with that she gives Trace one last look before turning and gliding away, the chiffon of her dress billowing around her legs. Trace sniggers after her, reaching for his drink and sipping it slowly.

“You’re a shit stirrer you know that,” Justin says with a chuckle and Trace grins.

“Gotta do something to liven this party up,” he replies and Justin laughs.

Justin sighs, turning on his barstool to look out onto the dance floor and Trace does the same, both men leaning with their elbows back against the bar. A few people are milling around, the band playing a mellow song he doesn’t really recognize. Antunes is on the keyboards, his fingers moving methodically over the keys without really paying much attention and Justin can almost taste his boredom. Skip is swaying slowly, his fingers working over the strings off his guitar lazily, leaning to say something quietly to Kevin who nods, plucking at his bass easily. John’s foot works steadily on the peddle of his drums, his sticks tinkering softly against one of the cymbals. Justin remembers jam sessions with them before the tour, wailing long into the night, working together and trying new things. He remembers the energy and the excitement. He can see it in them still, feel it bubbling under the surface. What he would give to climb on stage with them right now, just do a few songs. Amelia would have his head.

“Charlie looks good tonight.”

Justin blinks slowly, his mind jarring at Trace’s words and he looks at his best friend who is smiling, giving a slight nod of his head across the room. Justin follows his gaze and sees Charlotte standing with a group of people who look to be assistants, a glass of champagne in one hand, her other arm wrapped around her middle self consciously. His eyes widen slightly when he sees that she’s talking to a tall young man in an expensive looking suit. She glances away from him catching Justin’s eye and smiling feebly, giving a little wave. Justin’s brow furrows as the guy touches her arm, drawing her attention back to him and she nods, smiling politely at whatever he’s saying.

“Yeah she does,” Justin says throwing back the rest of his drink. “Who’s that guy?”

“No idea,” Trace says airily and Justin glances at his friend who is smiling smugly.

“What?” Justin asks and Trace looks at him and laughs. “What?” Justin demands again and Trace only laughs harder.

When he finally gets a hold of himself he blinks at Justin before shaking his head. “You like her dude.” He pats him on the shoulder.

Justin’s eyes go so wide he fears they may just fall out of his skull. He looks blankly over at Charlotte who is now laughing at what the idiot guy is saying and Justin scowls looking back at Trace.

“I do not,” he insists his voice defensive as he shifts awkwardly on his barstool and Trace gives him a withered look.

“I see the way you look at her. You like her,” he grins and Justin shakes his head, his face scrunched in disbelief.

“No…just….” He pauses searching for words. “No!”

“Okay then,” Trace says, looking at Justin soberly, leaning his elbow on the bar. “Tell me something you don’t like about her.”

Justin scoffs opening his mouth to rattle off a list but no sound comes out. What doesn’t he like about Charlotte? He closes his mouth, his face screwing up in thought. He kind of hates the clipped tone she gets with him when he calls her and she’s in the middle of something. Then again she always catches herself and apologizes profusely, which actually cancels the first part out because he’s always touched by her sincerity. He kind of dislikes the way she ignores his attempts at jokes for as long as possible but then again that makes her laughter at the end so much more rewarding. He hates the way she’s standing now with her arm around her chest, covering herself up when she looks so damn perfect.

“You just keep thinkin’ over there,” Trace says after a minute and Justin scowls at him.

“I don’t like the way she lets Amelia talk down to her,” Justin says and Trace raises an eyebrow at him. “Okay shut up.”

“Didn’t say a word,” Trace replies with a chuckle.

“I do not like Charlotte,” Justin insists and Trace nods.

“Would it be such a bad thing if you did?” Trace asks, taking a sip of his drink and Justin looks at him astonished.

“Um, considering the fact that I’m engaged, yeah I’d say that would pose a problem.”

“Why?”

“Why?” Justin asks disbelievingly. “Because I’m engaged.”

“I didn’t say you had to act on those feelings, Justin,” Trace says with a pointed look. “Of course who could blame you if you did?”

They both turn and watch as Charlotte brushes her hair out of her face and her arms finally fall to her sides, forgetting to cover herself up and she’s absolutely beautiful. What if he did like Charlotte? He shouldn’t be thinking about this, shouldn’t even let it cross his mind but he finds he can’t stop himself. Charlotte, his Charlie, the girl who can turn his day around simply by showing up, who can calm him down when he gets worked up, who listens to him and cares about what he’s saying, who goes out of her way to make his day a little easier even if it means making her job harder. He watches her smile and the dimple in her cheek reveals itself, stealing his breath just slightly. How had he never realized it before? He likes Charlotte.

“Looks like Mr. Smooth over there is going in for the kill.”

Trace’s words cause his thoughts to break and his head to whip to see the guy step closer to Charlotte and she gives him a polite smile as he speaks softly to her, his eyes now on her chest instead of her face. Justin sets his glass down on the bar.

“Where ya goin buddy?” Trace asks with a smirk and his tone says he knows exactly where his friend is going.

“She needs help,” Justin says absently not even waiting for Trace’s response.

He weaves his way through the crowd, smiling at a few of the people who tell him what a wonderful party this is. He probably shouldn’t be doing this. He doesn’t know if Charlotte needs his help or not really. For all he knows she could like this bonehead that’s flirting shamelessly with her although he has no idea how she possibly could. He’s not even that good looking and while his suit looks expensive it’s nothing special. He is so obviously wrong for her and if she couldn’t see that then it’s up to him to save her from herself.

As he approaches, their exchange becomes clearer over the hum of conversation around him.

“I was named after my grandfather,” the guy says haughtily, swirling the champagne in his glass and Charlotte’s eyebrows raise in a caricature of interest.

“Well…Stanford is a nice name,” Charlotte replies awkwardly and Justin can feel himself sneer. The guy’s name is Stanford?

Stanford chuckles, leaning closer to her still. “Well you think that’s nice you should hear my phone number…”

“Charlotte!” Justin exclaims jovially and they both jump, turning towards him.

“Um…hey Justin!” she says her enthusiasm not quite matching his as she gives him a searching look. Her arm comes up to cover her chest again, her hand curling around her opposite bicep. “Did you…need something?”

“A dance,” he says with a smile and Charlotte’s eyes widen. “Come on Amelia blew me off to be Miss Social Butterfly and it’s my birthday.” His eyes fall on Stanford who is looking at him soberly, his well-bred face showing no sign of malice but indignation is burning in his eyes. “You don’t mind do you?”

“Oh it’s fine,” Charlotte says for him, handing Stanford her glass of champagne. “It was nice meeting you,” she says politely and stepping towards Justin.

“Yeah good to meet you,” Justin adds smiling triumphantly, his hand moving to rest on the small of her back as he leads her away.

“God thank you,” Charlotte says with a sigh, her shoulders slumping slightly. “I thought he was never going to shut up.”

Justin laughs but his brow furrows as she steps away from him. “Hey where you going?” he asks and she turns to look at him over her shoulder, his mouth going slightly dry as his eyes travel the exposed length of her spine. She looks at him perplexed when he doesn’t speak and he shakes his head. “Dance floor’s this way.”

Charlotte’s eyes widen and she stutters slightly, not exactly knowing what to say. She isn’t sure if dancing is a good idea but when he smiles at her and reaches for her hand she’s perilous to stop herself. His fingers wrap around hers and she gives him a shy smile as he leads her out onto the dance floor. A few couples sway slowly around them, as Justin tugs her arm around, pulling her gracefully in front of him and they both hesitate for a moment, Charlotte slightly unsure as to how this is supposed to work. Then he grins at her, his hand slipping around her waist and she gasps as he pulls her against him, his hand warm against the bare skin of her back. She’s staring at him, her lips parted slightly as he guides one of her arms around his neck, taking her other hand and holding it in his, pressing it against his chest. She smiles at him and he grins back, his hand settling more firmly against her skin. She shivers, goose bumps rising again and his head tilts to the side.

“You still cold?” he asks, fighting his own shiver as his hand smoothes warmly up and down her back and she’s momentarily unable to speak.

“Yes,” she spits out finally and he tugs her closer, their stomachs touching and Charlotte doesn’t know what to do.

She knows this is wrong. She shouldn’t let him hold her this way and she’s playing a very dangerous game in full view of all of New York’s high society but she almost feels at ease in the crowd. She knows that with this many people nothing can get too far out of hand. Not that Justin would allow for such a thing anyway, she thinks. So for this moment in time she allows herself to relax. She lets go of all of her hang-ups and fears and just enjoys the feel of him against her, his hand on her back and his breath fanning her face.

Justin is staring down at her, his eyes scanning her face and he wonders how he never noticed the little gold flecks in her eyes, the smoothness of her skin. How could he have seen her every day for the past four months and never realized how breathtakingly gorgeous she is. He looks at her and he remembers moments they’ve shared; that time on the driving range, lunch at Fred’s, in his tree house in Memphis and the full force of everything she is hits him. She really is perfect.

“So…this is a fun party,” she says awkwardly, her eyes flicking around and he realizes he’s just been staring and not speaking.

He blinks hard, trying to process her words and when he does he snorts. “This party is boring,” he says and Charlotte giggles. “Toga would have been so much more fun.”

“Ugh yes,” Charlotte responds with a sigh. “I feel ridiculous in this dress.”

She curls her shoulders self consciously, glancing down between them and Justin does the same, his tongue snaking out to lick his lips slowly. He knows he shouldn’t be looking, shouldn’t be feeling these things. He’s engaged – happily so, he tells himself – and Charlotte is just a sweet girl, a good friend. He tries not to think of how warm her skin is against his but he’s perilous to stop his mind from going to dark places where her back isn’t the only place he’s touching. He really shouldn’t be thinking this. But it’s his birthday, he tells himself. It’s like a free pass and it’s like Trace said, he’s not going to act on any of these feelings. But who could blame…

“I mean this thing probably costs more than my entire wardrobe,” Charlotte continues and he’s snapped back to the conversation at hand. “And that’s including the bag you two got me for Christmas.” She smirks and he chuckles.

“Don’t be silly,” Justin says with a scoff. “You rock that dress, Charlie. Own it.”

“I feel like I’m playing dress up,” she confesses softly and her honesty makes him smile. “Like I don’t really belong here.”

“Of course you do. You’re beautiful,” he says before he can stop himself and Charlotte’s breath catches at the sincerity of his words, her eyes crashing into his and she sees something there she can’t quite place but it’s gone in an instant, replaced with a mask. “Like…like Grace Kelly beautiful,” he says with a grin and Charlotte feels her cheeks burn.

“Oh stop.”

“Like…like Elizabeth Taylor beautiful,” he continues, grinning widely and enjoying the blush on her cheeks. “Like…like…” his breath comes out in a rush when she looks up at him again, smiling so hard and there’s that dimple he loves. “Like you.”

Charlotte is struck hard by his words, the sincerity in his voice causing it to lower and that sense of waiting is back, the pull towards him so strong she’s drowning in it. Justin smiles slightly, enjoying the stunned look on her face. He’s always amused at how shocked she is by compliments. He’s just about to open his mouth to say so when the camera flash blinds him and he growls.

“Michael!” he exclaims and he hears the man’s low chuckle.

“Sorry kid.” Justin hears him say and by the time his vision is back Michael is already across the room.

“Hey…” Charlotte says and Justin’s attention is turned back to her finding her face screwed up in contemplation, her head tilted to the side.

Justin looks at her perplexed before the melody of the song that’s playing catches his ear and he groans, his head whipping towards the stage. His eyes meet Antunes’ who gives him an apologetic smile, gesturing to a piece of paper on his keyboard. Justin grits his teeth. Amelia.

“Amelia’s testing out wedding songs,” Justin grits out with a groan.

Charlotte blinks at him. “’In Your Eyes’ is going to be your wedding song?”

“Not if I have anything to do with it,” Justin spats looking extremely appalled and Charlotte laughs. Justin smiles at the sound and before he can stop himself he asks, “What song would you have be your first dance at your wedding?”

Charlotte blinks at him caught off guard by his question. “Oh I dunno,” she says, looking down at his chest, her fingers wiggling nervously in his and he smiles.

“Come on, you do too know. All you girls have your little plans,” he teases, giving her hand a squeeze and she gives him a rueful smile.

“Well…” she says and then sighs, her breath rushing out against his neck and it’s his turn to shiver. “I always really liked ‘Lets Stay Together’”

Justin’s eyes widen, his mouth falling open. “Shut up I love that song!” he exclaims and Charlotte giggles at his enthusiasm. “I wanted that song but Amelia vetoed it.” He scowls and Charlotte laughs.

“What have we said about letting Amelia do that,” Charlotte teases and he sighs.

“I know, I know,” he says rolling his eyes. “I’m working on it.”

“We need more Business Meeting Justin,” Charlotte says invoking their little joke and Justin laughs. “I like him.”

“He likes you too,” Justin responds before he can stop himself and they each look away, a slight awkwardness settling between them.

“Well…um… I can’t really have that song now anyway,” Justin says, trying to swing them back into neutral territory. “You claimed it.”

“I did claim it. It’s mine,” Charlotte says jumping on his joke. “And I don’t share.”

“Oh is that so? Well I’ll just buy the rights,” Justin deadpans and Charlotte narrows her eyes.

“I’ll book you on a flight to Figi first thing in the morning. You’ll never have time,” she counters and Justin let’s his head fall back in a laugh.

“Figi is rather nice this time of year,” Justin concedes and Charlotte laughs before pursing her lips at him.

“You know this would be funnier if we couldn’t actually do all these things.”

Justin laughs. “Yeah, what a strange life we lead.”

Charlotte smiles at him, stealing his breath again and he is slightly aware of the song coming to an end and the slight smattering of applause that starts. His daze is broken as Charlotte steps back from him, her hand pulling from his and his fingertips slide across her spine as she pulls away.

“Thanks for the dance,” she says when he doesn’t say anything and she shifts, reaching up to cross her arm over her chest again. “Um…I think it’s time for your cake.”

“Oh…right,” Justin says, looking around and seeing people gathering near the stage. “Yeah, thanks for the dance.”

His hand reaches out, fingers curling around her bicep and it feels like second nature as he is leaning down. The only thing that stops his lips from pressing to hers is the slight gasp she emits, her body tensing in front of his and he realizes what he’s doing, his lips a breath away from hers. His body tenses, his eyes meeting hers and he can smell the sweetness of her breath, the unnatural perfume of the makeup covering her skin but over it all he smells the clean mint of her hair. She lets out a shaky breath and it jars him from his thoughts, his eyes finally seeing hers, wide and unsure and he tilts his head, lips pressing to her cheek instead, her skin smooth under his lips.

Charlotte’s cheeks burn, her entire body trembling slightly and her heart feels as if it could beat out of her chest. Her fingers curl around his biceps as his lips linger against her cheek, her skin on fire where he’d kissed her. He pulls back slowly and he’s not smiling, his eyes deep and blue and she wants nothing more than to wrap her arms around his neck and press her mouth to his, fisting her fingers in his hair.

“Alright!” Justin hears Antunes exclaim into the microphone but he sounds a million miles away. “Where’s the birthday boy?”

Justin cringes slightly, his head whipping to the stage, scowling at his old friend who laughs. He turns to make a snide remark to Charlotte but she’s no longer there, working her way through the crowd and away from him, the silk of her dress shimmering like pearls in the shadows. Justin doesn’t have time to think as they call him up to the stage. He has a show to do. He puts on a good-natured smile, jogging up to stage and jumping onto it in one lithe movement.

“Still got it!” he grins cheekily, adjusting his tie like the true showman he is and the crowd laughs.

“Alright everyone let’s hear it!” Antunes exclaims and the crowd joins in as he starts a chorus of “Happy Birthday”

Justin smiles, slightly embarrassed but it turns to shock as he sees what looks like a giant fireball being carried towards him by two men in white suits. It is the biggest cake he has ever seen. It’s at least three feet tall, five layers of white frosting with black scrollwork stenciled around it but all of this is overshadowed by the hundreds of little candles burning brightly on each tier.

Indignation swells in him, anger and hurt boiling almost to the breaking point but he just smiles, forcing out a laugh as the monstrosity is set in front of him and cheers erupt as the crowd finishes the song. Calls of “Make a wish!” and “Blow em out!” reach his ears and he steels himself taking a deep breath, wishing that he was anywhere else but here.

He doesn’t even come close to blowing them all out and gives up after a few tries, laughing in what he hopes is a good natured way as the crowd eggs him on to continue. He waves a hand, patting Antunes on the back but ignoring the searching look his old friend gives him as he hops off the stage, working his way into the crowd.

He has to find Amelia. He’s going to tell her that she can’t keep doing this. That she’s acting like a child. That if she cares about him at all she’ll listen to him. Really listen, not just pretend to. How could he have been so blind before?

She thought he was joking. She must have, that’s the only reason he could see for blatantly ignoring his wishes. Sure it was just something stupid like candles but he had said it was important. He had told her numerous times, explained to her that it embarrassed him, made him feel old. This isn’t about him getting his way. This is about him needing her to realize that she hurt him. He knows that if he can just tell her that, she’ll apologize and try to make it right. She loves him and would never want to hurt him. This is all a big misunderstanding.

He’s made his way to the back of the room and is walking the circumference around the tables, searching for Amelia’s golden blond head. He spots her just to the right of the stage, standing next to her mother, both their backs to him as they lean their heads together in conference. He takes a deep breath, steeling himself as he walks towards them, their voices becoming clearer as he steps closer.

“…sorry about the food. Justin insisted on it.” Amelia says with a sigh and he stops in his tracks, his brow creasing. “And he wonders why I don’t let him pick anything for the wedding.”

“Yes, I met his little friend,” Molly sniffs, distaste ringing in her voice. “It seems you can take the boy out of the trailer park…”

Justin’s fist ball at his sides as Molly’s voice trails, her implication burning him to the core and he waits for Amelia to say something, anything but she just laughs. She actually laughs. He knows she’s not very fond of Trace but she knows that he’s Justin’s best friend. That should be enough for her to counter something so nasty even if it is from her own mother.

“You really need to be more firm with him darling,” Molly continues and Amelia sighs.

“Well I’m trying Mother!” she exclaims exasperated and then crosses her arms over her chest. “He insisted that I never listened to him so I had to give him something.” Justin’s jaw drops. “And I figured it was better this than the wedding.”

“Well you’re right there,” Molly concedes, sipping her champagne and Amelia scoffs.

Justin listens in slack-jawed disbelief. They’re speaking about him as if he were a child, someone who needs to be watched and taken care of, someone who isn’t allowed to make decisions. Do they think so little of him? Surely this is all Molly’s influence. Amelia wouldn’t speak of him that way. She loves him and supports him. She’s just giving in to her mother’s persuasion and letting off some steam. Or so he thinks until she opens her mouth to speak again.

“Well I thought so too but now he wants to start recording again. Can you even imagine?” Amelia says and the disbelieving chuckle she emits cuts right to Justin’s heart. “I mean he’s thirty for crissake.”

“Be careful with that Amelia,” Molly chides and he hears his fiancé sigh. “He’s got a lot of talent. He very well may resurrect his career.”

Justin smiles despite himself. Who would have ever thought his future mother-in-law would give him such a compliment, never mind that it was backhanded. But it wipes off his face as Amelia laughs.

“Oh don’t even worry about it,” Amelia says and he can hear the meanness in her voice. “I’ve heard what he’s been working on. It’s nothing. He’s nowhere near the musician he used to be. His voice is weak. His melodies are trite and uninspired. There’s no way he’d make it. He doesn’t have it in him anymore.”

Justin is awestruck, dumbfounded and a million other adjectives that couldn’t possibly describe the way he’s feeling right now. He looks around helplessly as if someone could save him from the jagged tear that is ripping its way into his heart. She doesn’t think he has it anymore? The one person in his life who is supposed to be behind him every step of the way, who’s supposed to support him and believe in him thinks he’s washed up and his career is over. Anger burns in him like an out of control blaze but it is weak in comparison to the hurt. His heart is breaking along a fissure that’s been mended one too many times before and he feels like this one goes deep down. Deeper than all the petty bullshit from before, deeper than the absent hums when she pretends she’s listening to him, deeper than the three months it’s been since they’ve made love. This one hits to his very soul, the very core of him. How can she love him and think this of him?

He shakes his head, turning slowly, his legs feeling heavy and cumbersome and he doesn’t want to believe it, doesn’t even want to think it right now. He’ll talk to her about the candles later. Or maybe he won’t. He doesn’t really care anymore as he makes a beeline for the bar.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: fiancej desksex affair love hottubsex