Justin feels like he has butterflies the size of pterodactyls in his stomach as his fingers fumble with his tie in the mirror. The voices of the other occupants in the room are a dull hum behind the thundering beat of his heart, excitement running through his veins like an electrical current. He’s waited for this night for months, put every ounce of himself into getting here. There were times when he felt that he wasn’t going to make it, that it would all be for naught but he’d somehow managed to pull through. Tonight was going to be the first night of the rest of his life.

 

 “You ready for this dude?” Trace asks him through the mirror, clapping his shoulder hard and beaming at his best friend.

 

“Yeah,” Justin grins back, blowing out a shaking breath, trying to dispel a little of the manic energy running through him.

 

“Come on,” Trace says, giving his shoulder a rough squeeze, “Let’s do this thing right.”

 

He snatches a bottle of Jack Daniels from the table and the others gather round, taking the shot glasses as quickly as Trace fills them. When Trace finally hands the last one to Justin before taking one for himself the room is quiet and Justin can’t seem to stop smiling, looking at those around him and feeling that this is truly where he’s supposed to be, a feeling he’s gradually getting used to.

 

“To new beginnings…” Trace says before grinning slyly and adding, “and finally getting it right.”

 

Justin gives a playful roll of his eyes, unable to fight his grin as he throws his drink back, feeling it burn its way down to his belly, setting the butterflies aflame.

 

“What the heck is going on in here?”

 

Justin freezes, raising on his tip toes to see Charlotte standing in the doorway, her brow furrowed in confusion as she takes in the fullness of the room. She gives him a questioning look and he responds with a sheepish grin, setting his glass down as she makes her way towards him.

 

“Twenty minutes till show time,” she says, the excitement evident in her voice as she crosses her arms over her chest, feeling as if she could explode from the anticipation.

 

“You heard the lady!” Trace hollers and the rest of the band looks to him. “Twenty minutes. Let’s give the vocalist a little privacy.” No one misses the wiggle of Trace’s eyebrows, making Charlotte blush and duck her head.

 

“Thanks Trace,” Justin says dryly, receiving a hard pat on the back as his friend follows the band out, pulling the door closed behind him.

 

Charlotte lets her head fall to the side as she watches Justin’s gaze follow them out, his eyes dancing happily and she wonders if he realizes he’s grinning like a fool. She laughs softly to herself, reaching up to touch his face and his eyes meet hers, his grin seeming to stretch even more, his hand coming up to hold hers in place as he turns his head to press a kiss to her palm.

 

“Big crowd out there,” she says softly as his eyes open and he beams at her. “You nervous?”

 

“Nah,” he says giving a dismissive wave as he turns from her back to the mirror, fiddling with his tie. “Oh hey there was something I wanted to ask you…”

 

“Nope,” Charlotte cuts him off, placing her hands on his biceps and urging him to turn.

 

“It’ll only take a sec,” he says tilting his chin up to let her adjust the knot at this throat, looking down at her from under his lashes.

 

She shakes her head, pressing her lips together as she undoes the knot and starts anew. She can feel him watching her, the heat of his gaze making her nervous. He lets his eyes close for a moment, enjoying the brush of her lips against his throat as she leaves the knot loose for him to adjust himself.

 

“Marry me,” he breathes, not even opening his eyes but grinning at the short gasp she gives. He wonders after all the times he’s asked her if she’s ever going to stop being shocked by it.

 

“Quit,” she whispers back delicately and he peeks at her from under low lids, still grinning. She narrows her eyes slapping his chest and he laughs, turning back towards the mirror.

 

“One of these days you’re going to say yes,” he says, tightening his tie against his throat, finally satisfied with it’s appearance.

 

“Well I guess I’ll have to eventually since you won’t stop asking,” Charlotte says, jabbing a finger into the middle of his back playfully and he wiggles away from the assault laughing.

 

“I don’t get it. You love me. I love you. The sex is great- ow!” he exclaims as she smacks him upside the head laughing. “What, it is!”

 

He grins as she rolls her eyes but she finds herself unable to keep from smiling so she turns from him in an attempt to hide it but to no avail. Justin’s arms snake around her waist, pulling her back against his front giving her a tight squeeze as he presses his lips to her ear.

 

“You know it is,” he says lowly, making her stomach do a summersault, his lips kissing along her ear. “We could elope, fly to Tibet and get married by a monk.”

 

Charlotte snorts, twisting her neck to look at him dubiously. “Tibet?”

 

“What I’ve never been there,” Justin says with a shrug and she rolls her eyes. “Plus it’s the only place I could think of with monks.”

 

“Why do you want to get married by a monk?” she questions with a laugh and he just shrugs.

 

“Dunno. It’d be a cool story,” he grins as she shakes her head at him. “Come on, marry me.”

 

She pulls away from him, turning to look at him through narrowed eyes. “What would you do if I said yes?”

 

“Whisk you away to Vegas before you could change your mind,” he says with a playful grin but she merely raises an eyebrow at him.

 

“No I’m serious. What if I said yes? Right now. What if now was the moment? And you’re here joking about monks,” she says, crossing her arms over her chest and his smile fades, his heart feeling as if it just bottomed out.

 

“Really?” he asks, pressing a hand to his sternum, his face going completely blank as he frantically searches for what comes next. He’d asked her a hundred times in the last few months and after the first few he’d stopped anticipating what would come after she agreed. He’d had a plan once but it seems that he’s forgotten it now, leaving it behind along with the ring- “Shit, the ring!”

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen as he frantically searches his pockets, patting at his chest and fumbling around with his pants. He’s muttering to himself as he walks over to the couch, pawing through his jacket before scratching his head and looking around. His face alights in remembrance hurrying back into the bathroom.

 

“What… what are you doing?” Charlotte asks in slight alarm.

 

“Don’t worry I have it here somewhere!” he calls out to her and the sound of rustling denim accompanies his voice before he growls and returns, looking around perplexed. “You’d think I wouldn’t misplace something like that but…” his eyes widen as they fall on his backpack in the corner. “OH!”

 

“You… you got me a ring?” Charlotte questions, her voice thin as he shuffles over, checking a few pockets before pulling out a black velvet box.

 

He blinks at her. “Yeah,” he says with a chuckle. “What kind of asshole would I be if I proposed without a ring?”

 

“D-don’t,” she says holding out a hand as he saunters up to her, wiggling the box at her.

 

“You wanna see it?” he asks with a grin and she glares at him.

 

“No.”

 

He looks at her sympathetically. “Is it because you know you’ll say yes when you see it?”

 

“No… I would not say yes just because of a ring,” Charlotte replies peevishly, eyeing the box.

 

Justin sighs. “Too bad,” he says opening the box a crack and peeking inside. “It’s a good one.”

 

“I have no doubt,” she replies with a sigh as he lets it snap shut again, smiling as he slips it into his pocket.

 

“One of these days you will say yes,” he says softly as he steps up to her, hooking a finger under her chin so that her eyes meet his and she smiles.

 

“Maybe,” she replies coyly, standing on her tip-toes to press her mouth to his.

 

A hard knock on the door startles them. “Pull up your pants, bro. Time to get to the stage.”

 

“Trace, I swear to god,” Charlotte growls, stomping over to the door and jerking it open. “Is everything a dick joke with you?”

 

“No only Justin’s dick is a joke,” Trace quips, beaming at his best friend who returns a wry smile, flipping him off. His brows draw as a large bouquet of flowers nudges it’s way into the room.

 

“Special delivery!” Ginger exclaims, letting the vase thunk on the table.

 

Charlotte frowns at the gardenias overflowing from the crystal flute, each bud blazing white, the petals open in fragile fans. A simple white card is tucked in the middle and Justin reaches for it in curiosity.

 

“They’re pretty,” Charlotte says, reaching to touch a delicate petal and Trace snorts.

 

“He hates gardenias. They make him-”

 

Justin lets out a hard sneeze, startling everyone and Ginger’s eyes widen. “Oh my gosh are you allergic? Oh no, oh no!” she frets her body stuttering trying to move in every direction at once. Charlotte’s eyebrows raise, looking to Trace in amusement but he’s merely watching his girlfriend with loving humor. “I’m sorry,” Ginger says, snatching the vase and turning to run. “I’ll get rid of them!”

 

Trace laughs to himself watching her scurry out of the room as Charlotte steps up to Justin, placing a hand on his shoulder.

 

“You okay?” she asks and he nods sniffling a little as he opens the card. “Who are they from?” Justin chuckles shaking his head, flipping the card for her to read. Her brows furrow. “Wishing you all the success you can achieve…” her throat closes. “Amelia?”

 

Justin laughs. “She would…” he says, turning the card over and reading it again quickly. “All the success I can achieve. Thanks,” he snorts flicking it into the trashcan.

 

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Charlotte asks angrily and Justin is startled by the venom in her voice. “You’ve sold out a twenty date tour and that’s before you even release your album,” she says and her voice raises, glaring down in to the trashcan at the card seeming to yell at it as she continues. “Which is the most anticipated album – oh I don’t know – ever.”

 

She heaves an annoyed sigh, looking back at Justin and Trace who are watching her with raised eyebrows. “Well, Charlie… tell us how you really feel,” Trace says with a chuckle and Justin looks down grinning.

 

“You don’t think…” Charlotte asks, letting her voice trail as she looks between the two of them. “You don’t think she’d… she’d have the balls to show up he-”

 

But she’s cut off by Justin’s laughter and Trace’s scoff of indignation. “Are you kidding?”

 

“We’re in LA, babe,” Justin says running a hand over her bicep. “The Hudson River’s as far west as that wicked witch goes.”

 

“Too bad,” Charlotte mumbles and Justin raises an eyebrow. “Would have been nice to see the look on her face when you blow the roof off the place.”

 

Justin laughs, a blush heating his cheeks and she grins, standing on her tip-toes to press her lips to the corner of his mouth. Trace smiles watching the two of them for a moment before shaking his head.

 

“Time to go, dude,” he says stepping out of the dressing room and into the hall. “Your millions of fans are waiting.”

 

“There aren’t a million people out there,” Justin replies as his arms slip around Charlotte’s waist, hugging her close for a moment.

 

“Okay well a couple thousand of your millions of fans are waiting,” Trace amends. “I think some of these girls are going to have an aneurism if they don’t hear some music from you soon.”

 

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Justin sighs, giving Charlotte one last squeeze before looking down at her. “Kiss for luck?” He brings a finger up tapping his lips twice and she smiles at him.

 

“Raw talent and honed skills aren’t enough he wants luck too?” she teases and he beams at her, letting her kiss the smile off his face.

 

Her hand slips around the back of his neck, fingers fisting in his curls as her tongue swipes his bottom lip, sneaking a quick taste before she pulls away. She feels his eyes on her as she straightens his tie and adjusts his vest, brushing off his shoulders. Then letting her hands rest there she looks into his eyes, stealing his breath.

 

“I am so proud of you,” she says, lifting a hand to cup his cheek and he smiles at her, his heart fluttering around inside his chest, taking her hand and pressing it there, letting her feel it.

 

“I never thought I’d be here again,” he says softly and she smiles at the quick stuttering of his heart, the only indication of his nerves. His eyes meet hers and she’s struck breathless as he cups her face. “I couldn’t have done this without you Charlie.”

 

“You always say that,” she says shaking her head. “You didn’t need me. This is who you are-”

 

“I wouldn’t have found who I am again if it wasn’t for you,” he says sincerely and she looks down at her hand on his chest. “Thank you, for giving me the chance I didn’t deserve.”

 

She smiles. “Thanks for not making me regret it.” He grins.

 

“I love you,” they say in unison then burst into giggles, shaking their heads as Justin runs his hand over her hair quickly.

 

“I love you guys too,” Trace returns and they roll their eyes turning to find Trace grinning at them from the doorway. “Now, move.”

 

Justin takes a steadying breath, the butterflies beating in his stomach as he releases her and moves to leave the room. Her hand catches his, giving it an encouraging squeeze before releasing him, smiling so that the dimple appears in her cheek and she beams back at him.

 

“You’re gonna be out there right?” he asks as Trace starts to drag him from the room, craning his neck in an effort to still see her as he’s pulled out the door.

 

“You think I’d miss something like this?” she asks in disbelief, following him but moving to walk in the opposite direction towards the venue, throwing a grin over her shoulder.

 

The walk to the stage is like an out of body experience, hearing the buzz of thousands of voices through the walls, the electricity in the air. When the lights go down the screams of the crowd hit him like a tidal wave, heart hammering as he navigates the dark stage, finding his mark, gripping the mic stand in sweaty hands. He starts with an old favorite, the first four chords raising the volume of the crowd and he feels like the roof may actually blow off when the lights come up, the crowd nothing but silhouettes and shadows. The music behind him meets the wall of sound in front of him, engulfing him in a mixture of scream voices and screaming guitars, stomping feet and thumping drums. He can’t even hear himself when he says he’s bringing sexy back, the crowd drowning out even his in-ear monitors and he spends the rest of the song holding the mic out to the crowd, thankful for their help because with the lump in his throat he’s not sure he’d be able to sing anyway.

 

The song closes to thunderous applause and Justin just stops, standing in the middle of the stage, staring out into the lights as he lets the adoration wash over him. He closes his eyes taking a deep steadying breath as something settles inside him, something that even Charlotte in all her perfection couldn’t calm in him. He’s finally home.

 

“How’s everybody doing tonight?” he asks and the wall of sound hits him like a gush of warm air. He chuckles, nodding his head as he returns the mic to its stand, fiddling with it until it’s at a height of his liking.

 

He lets his eyes scan the crowd then, searching and he finds her off to the left behind the railing of VIP, standing next to Trace who looks to be arguing playfully with Ginger. Charlotte’s eyes on locked on him, her hands clasped to her chest and he wishes she was up there with him, wishes she could feel the way this feels because he wouldn’t be standing there without her. He shakes his head, looking down and saying another silent prayer of thanks for this girl that he loves so, and for the second chance he’d been given.

 

“I wanna thank everybody for coming out tonight,” he says, fingers curling around the microphone on the stand. “I feel like this record was a long time coming. You know you get older and you grow up and you change… And sometimes you lose who you are.”

 

His eyes find Charlotte’s in the shadows and she smiles at him, her eyes sparkling in the darkness. She gives him a slight nod. You can do it, her eyes say and he presses his lips together nodding back solemnly.

 

“Sometimes you lose who you are and finding yourself again is rough… but this is what this album is. It’s the search, the journey back…” he trails a small smile pulling at his lips as his eyes fall on Charlotte again, “… or forward as the case may be.” He reaches into his pocket, fiddling with the velvet box there and sees Charlotte’s face go slack, her eyes panicking. He laughs at the terrified look on her face before his hand leaves his pocket, giving her a quick wink before he returns his gaze to the crowd in front of him, blinking almost as if he’d forgotten they were there.

 

And then its as if everything comes back, their screams deafening and he’s overwhelmed by the mass of moving bodies, the thousands of voices melding into one loud siren’s call. He’s drawn into it and swallowed by it, emotion tightening his chest. He opens his mouth to speak and the din rises, the sound pressing against his eardrums threatening to break them and all he can manage is a bashful laugh, their love and support seeming to swallow him whole. “I just…” he starts and then stops overcome once again but he manages to rally his voice. “I just wanna say to each and everyone one of you how much it means to me that you came out tonight.” He’s forced to pause for the rising tide of screams that threatens to break over him and he thinks his face may split open from smiling so hard. “But… I uh… I’m… I’m a little at loss for words.” He shakes his head, licking his dry lips and once again thanking God for this moment. “I just want to let you know how grateful I am for those of you that stuck around, and had faith in me. You are the reason I do what I do. Thank you so, so much.” He feels his voice crack on the last word ducking his head and letting the sound wash over him again as he gathers himself, brushing away the nerves and the pretenses, ready to give himself to the crowd. He lifts his head, rolling his shoulders back and grinning. “Anyway, this is just a little something I’ve been working on. I hope you enjoy it.”

 

 

 

The End



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: fiancej desksex affair love hottubsex