Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction...please don't sue me :)

"Rachel, JC's here to see you."

Rachel's head shot up Tuesday morning as Aubrey's voice came over the speaker of her desk phone.  She stared at it for a second in complete shock.  JC was here? She thought.  Why was he here?  She flipped open her planner, afraid she'd somehow forgotten an appointment she'd set up with him, but there was nothing written down.  She reached over and pressed the intercom button. 

"I'll be right up." She told Aubrey.  Taking a deep breath she ran her fingers through her hair, reached for her purse and applied some lip gloss.  As she came out in the lobby, Rachel stopped and watched as JC straightened from his position lounging on the front desk.  Her heart skipped as his eyes lit up and his gorgeous smile appeared.  

"What are you doing here?" She asked, her eyes taking in his appearance as she walked towards him.  He was wearing his usual loose fitting jeans.  Does he have another pair of pants? Rachel wondered as she continued her perusal.  He was wearing a light blue button down shirt with a black jacket thrown over the top.  His hair was gelled and spiked and Rachel wanted to reach up and run her hands over his clean shaven face-just to see if his skin was as smooth as she remembered it being.

"I was in the neighborhood and was hungry.  I figure...we both have to eat so why don't we eat together?  Do you want to go to lunch with me?"

Rachel looked at him in surprise. Is the sky blue? She wanted to ask him.

"Have you eaten already?" He asked, sensing some hesitation from her.

"No." Rachel replied, a small smile forming.

"Then let's go." He grinned.

Rachel watched him for a moment, the unmasked hope in his blue eyes making her feel a bit giddy.  You were in the neighborhood? She wanted to ask a bit skeptical of his reasoning.

"Alright." She said.  "Just, uh...let me grab my purse."  She turned to head back to her desk.  "I'll be right back."

"Okay." He stood, watching as she walked back down the hall towards her cubicle.

Rachel quickly grabbed her purse and walked back to the lobby, smiling in response as JC held the door open for her.  She tucked her hair behind her ears as he led her towards his Mercedes.  "So what were you doing on this side of town?" She asked as he opened the passenger door for her and she slid into the sports car.

~~~~~

JC panicked as he shut her door and walked around the car to the driver's side.  What was I doing over here? He thought.  Damn it!  What's around here?  JC slid behind the wheel and put the key in the ignition before he looked over at Rachel.  He was counting on his acting background to help him bluff his way through this.

"Oh, you know..." He paused.  "I had some...things I had to drop off to someone and I just thought, since I was over here, it would be nice to go to lunch with you." Rachel looked over at him, her eyes searching his for a moment and he feared she wasn't going to buy his excuse.  Finally, he watched as her lips turned up in a smile.

"So, where are we going?" She asked, one brow rising in interest.

"How long can you be gone?" He questioned, putting the car in reverse and leaving the parking lot.

"Well, that depends." Rachel responded as she tucked one foot behind her other one and turned her body towards him in her seat.  "Where exactly are you planning on taking me for lunch?"

"Don't worry." He teased.  "We're not leaving the country or anything." 

"I've got an hour." Rachel replied with a chuckle.  He looked over at her, smiling as he put on his sunglasses.

"There's this great little café I've been to a few times just up the road." He said, pulling the Mercedes out into traffic.  He watched from the corner of his eye as Rachel tucked her hair behind her ear again.  She remained quiet as he drove and he began to wonder if this had been a good idea.  All he knew was he had awoken this morning with the desire to see her before he left tomorrow.  He couldn't explain it and for once-in a long time-he had decided to take a chance and do something crazy, like showing up unannounced and taking the girl he liked out to lunch.  "So, Megan seems nice." He said, hoping to break the awkward silence around them.  Rachel seemed fine around him at the house, but as soon as they were in the car together she closed up, almost like she was afraid of him.

"Yeah, she's great." She responded with a smile.

"How long have you two known each other?"

"Since kindergarten." Rachel told him.  "She and her family moved in next door right before school started and we've been best friends ever since."

"That's impressive." He said honestly.  "I don't know many people who are a part of a friendship that has lasted that long."

"That's because you're in the entertainment business." She said.  "It can't be easy to make and keep friends in your line of work."

"No, it's not." He confessed. 

"That's got to be hard." She said, watching him intently.  He looked over at her as he came to a stop at a red light.  "I can't imagine not having Megan in my life.  She's...she's saved my life so many times.  We've been through a lot together.  I was there for her when her dad left and she's been there for me more times than I can count."

"You're really lucky to have such a good friend." He said, watching the emotions swirling in her eyes.  He found himself wanting to ask how exactly Megan had ‘saved' her, but he knew it was still too early in their relationship for that.  He hadn't earned that kind of trust from her yet.   

"So who do you call when you have something really exciting to share?" She asked, her brow furrowed slightly.

He blew out a breath and cocked an eye brow.  "Mmmm...my mom?"

"Was that a question?" She asked with a smile.

He smiled back at her.  "I don't know." He shrugged.  "When the group was still together, the guys were my best friends.  They still are, don't get me wrong.  We still keep in contact with each other but we're obviously not as tight as we used to be, since we're not together twenty-four seven anymore."

"Is that weird?" She asked.  "I mean, the five of you were together for so long and then...it was just over."

"At first." He admitted, glancing over at her.  "It was nice being able to sleep in my own bed for more than two nights in a row, but I miss the closeness we shared.  Now it seems we only see each other a couple times a year, if that.  I saw Joey a couple weeks ago when he was in town and Justin's got a house here and is always in town for one thing or another."

"What made you decide to stay here in L.A. instead of Orlando?" She asked as he pulled into a small parking lot.

He shut off the engine and looked at her.  "Opportunity." He replied.  "Orlando was the hotspot for music when we started out; but now, if you're in the business, you live in L.A.  I still have a house in Orlando, though." He said as they got out of the car.  "I should get you to redo that one, too." He said as they walked towards the small sandwich shop.

"Hmmm...that might end up costing you a little more." She said.  "Seeing as you'd have to fly me out there and pay to put me up in a hotel somewhere."

"It'd be worth it." He said with a grin.  "And you could just stay at the house."  He took off his sunglasses as he held the door for her, smiling as her cheeks turned pink.

~~~~~

Rachel hiked her purse higher on her shoulder as JC followed her into the quiet café.  The girls behind the counter looked up smiling automatically, as they did for every customer Rachel assumed, but their smiles soon turned to looks of shock as they realized who had just walked in.  She tried not to chuckle as the girl working the register quickly brushed through her hair and straightened her shirt.  The other two girls watched JC hungrily, their eyes taking on a definite star-struck quality as he approached the counter.  Rachel wanted to smile when the register girl turned her blue eyes on her, instant dislike and jealousy clearly written on her face.  That's right. Rachel thought smugly.  I'm with him and you're not.  JC however, seemed unaware of the looks being thrown around because of his sudden appearance in the small shop.  Rachel found it hard to believe his oblivious attitude.  He's probably numb to all the attention.  She reasoned.

"They've got this great turkey and cranberry sandwich here."  He said, his blue eyes focusing on her as she looked up at him in surprise.

"I love turkey and cranberry." She said.  He smiled at her before turning to the girl at the register and ordered one for each of them. 

"Do you want a drink?" He asked. 

"Uh..." Rachel looked at the small selection of beverages offered.  "Just a bottle of water."

"Make that two." He said to the girl. 

"Seventeen-fifty." The girl behind the counter said, smiling widely at JC.  Rachel watched as the girl's cheeks reddened and she giggled when her fingers brushed his as he handed her a twenty.  Rachel fought not to laugh as she imagined herself doing the very same thing had she been in the girl's place.

"Keep the change." He said with a polite smile, taking the plastic table number she handed him and leading Rachel out towards the back patio which was empty.  He sat with his back to the building, giving Rachel a perfect view of the girls giggling excitedly together.  "What's the matter?" He asked as he watched her, her attention shifting to the café again.

"Oh nothing." Rachel smiled, turning her attention to him.  "Just watching your fan club in there."  He looked over his shoulder then sighed as he rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair.  She laughed when she saw the girls fighting over who was going to bring out the sandwiches.  In the end, Register Girl won out, a triumphant smile on her face as she came out to the patio carrying their sandwiches.

"Here you go." She said, looking at JC as she placed the food down on the table. 

"Thanks." He said, smiling at the girl. 

"If there's anything else you need, just come let me know."

"Alright."

"My name's Krista, by the way." She smiled at him and held out her hand.  Rachel sat back, a bit shocked.  Really?  She thought.  Are you really trying to flirt with him while I'm sitting right here?  She could see the irritation in JC's eyes and understood a little bit more what he had been saying when he spoke about the ‘hell' aspect of being a celebrity. 

"Hi, Krista." He said, taking her hand and shaking it.  "I think we've got what we need.  Thanks."  Rachel raised one brow as the girl turned threatening eyes her way before she left.  "I'm sorry about that." He offered in apology as Krista went back inside. 

"It's not your fault you're so irresistable." Rachel said with a smile, picking up one of the halves of her sandwich and taking a bite.  "Mmmm." She said, reaching for a napkin. 

JC smiled.  "I told you it was good."

"This is better than good.  It's great!" Rachel exclaimed taking another bite.  "This may have just become my new favorite thing.  You really shouldn't have shown me where this place was."

He laughed as he took a bite, his blue eyes sparkling as they kept contact with hers.  "Can I ask you a question?" Rachel asked.

"Only if I can ask one in return." He replied, placing his elbows up on the table and leaning forward slightly.

"That's only fair, I guess." She replied, opening her water bottle and taking a drink.  "What was your favorite part about being in N SYNC?" She asked, picking up her sandwich again.

"Performing every night." He replied without hesitation.  Rachel watched as he tipped his head back and took a drink from his water bottle.  "I loved the energy of being up on stage." He said, setting the bottle back on the table.  "It was like...the best high, but without any of the side effects.  Do you have any siblings?" He asked.

Rachel cocked a brow at his sudden and random change of topic.  "Nope." She answered as she took another bite.  "My parents bought me a dog one year for my birthday, but he ended up preferring to sleep in their room and became more my Dad's dog in the end."

"Hence the reason you and Megan are so close?" He asked.

"It's one of the reasons." Rachel smiled.  "What was your favorite place you've been to on tour?" She asked.  He took a bite as he thought for a moment.

"France." He finally answered.  "Specifically, Paris."

"Oh, I've always wanted to go to Paris." Rachel replied with a sigh, leaning forward on the table.  "I love the French language."

"Do you speak it?" He asked, his brows lifting in interest.

"Took it all through high school and a few years in college." She smiled proudly.

"Say something." He said his eyes sparkling.

"Bonjour, commemt allez-vous?"

He looked at her in disbelief.  "You took French for six years and that's all you can say? Everyone can say that."

"Yes, but can they say it with as good an accent as I can?" She teased, propping her chin in one hand and batting her eyelashes at him making him laugh.

"Say something else." He said.

"Um...okay." She thought for a moment then smiled.  "Mon nom est Rachel Kline. J'ai les cheveux blonds et les yeux bruns. J'aime écouter de la musique et aller directement aux clubs. Je suis problèmes. J'aime bien parler français à chaud des hommes. Je vous souhaite un indice que vous avez embrassé avant moi. Je veux être votre ami."

He sat, looking at her in amazement.  "Okay, that was sexy." He finally admitted, grinning at her and making her blush.  "What did you say?" He asked.

"My name is Rachel Kline.  I have blond hair and brown eyes.  I like to listen to music and I like to go to clubs.  I am trouble." He chuckled at that one.  "I like speaking French to hot men," again he laughed, "And..." She looked up at him her heart pounding, wondering if it would be wise to translate the rest of what she'd said.

"And?" He questioned, his eyes holding hers steadily.

"And...I want to be your friend." She smiled at him as she took another drink from her water bottle.

"You said all that?" He asked quietly, his eyes watching her intently.

That, and I wish you had a clue that you've kissed me before.  She thought.  "Yeah." She replied finishing off her sandwich.  "Do you speak another language?" She asked.

"Not really." He shook his head.  "I can say a few random phrases in a few different languages, like ‘thank you' and ‘where's the bathroom' but other than that I'm pretty much screwed."

"I find it funny that your last name is French and yet you don't speak the language."

"You're last name is German isn't it?" He asked.  "Do you speak German?"

"Touché." She replied, lifting her water bottle to him.

"So tell me more about you." He said, pushing his empty plate to the side.

"What do you want to know?" She asked.

"Uh...you know.  The usual stuff." He chuckled.

"Like what?" Rachel asked.  She wasn't going to make this easy on him.  If he wanted to get to know her he was going to have to work for it-show her he really was truly interested in getting to know her.

"What was it like growing up in Phoenix?  What do you miss most about home? Do you like it out here in California? What is your biggest regret in life?"

Rachel laughed.  "Wow.  And here I thought you were going to ask me what my favorite color was and if I liked smooth or crunchy peanut butter." He laughed.  "Okay," She said.  "Uh...What was it like growing up in Phoenix?  Hot." She answered, making him laugh again.  "It was...good I guess.  My best friend and I got into a lot of trouble together.  I grew up in a regular neighborhood and graduated with basically the same people I went to kindergarten with.  What do I miss the most about home?  The smell of the desert right after it rains, and the annual bonfires my friends and I used to have.  Do I like it here in California?  Yes." She answered.  "Arizona may be where I'm from, but my heart belongs in California." He smiled at that.  "What was the last question?" She asked.

"What's your biggest regret in life?" He asked.

"Oh yeah." She sighed.  "My biggest regret.  Hmmm..." You. She thought. "Uh...I met this guy at Megan's wedding last year." She said looking down at the napkin she had been playing with.  "We danced and really seemed to click."  I can't believe I'm telling him this! 

"What happened?" He asked, his voice quiet. 

She wanted to look up at him, but couldn't quite gather the courage.  "Uh..." She cleared her throat.  "We kind of ended up making out and then we went our separate ways." She could feel her heart racing and the blood pulsing in her ears.

"Is that what you regret?" He asked.  "That you made out with him?"

"I regret walking away from him." She admitted finally looking up at him. 

~~~~~

JC's heart was slamming against his ribcage as Rachel looked up at him.  He wanted to reach across the table, take her beautiful face in his hands and kiss away her regret.  "I'll bet he regrets letting you walk away." He said quietly, watching as she smiled sadly. 

"I don't think he even remembers who I am anymore." She said. 

Yes, I do. He wanted to tell her.  And I am officially the biggest loser.  He felt like the lowest life form on the planet as he sat there, reading the regret in her eyes.  "How do you know that he doesn't remember you?" He asked.

"It's been over a year." She replied, finishing off her water.  "He never called."

"Who was he?" He asked.

"Just...just this guy Megan's husband knew."

"Rachel, I..." I, what? He asked himself?  I remember?  I'm sorry?  I'm an idiot?  I'm right here?  I... He was completely blown away at what she had just revealed.  I'm her biggest regret?  He watched as she looked down at her watch.  "You probably need to get back, huh?" He asked, looking at his own watch, surprised and a bit disappointed at how quickly the past hour had flown by.  He wasn't ready to let her go.  He still had so much he wanted to ask her.

"Yeah." She smiled at him, though her eyes still pained him.  "Are you going to leave your number?" She asked.

"Huh?"

"That girl, Krista?  She seemed pretty into you." Rachel teased him.

He chuckled.  "And I'm pretty sure she's all of twenty years old.  Call me old fashioned, but twelve years is a bit too much of an age gap for me."

 ~~~~~ 

"Really?" Rachel asked as they both stood and he opened the small gate that surrounded the patio.  "What's your limit?  If you don't mind me asking." Her heart skipped as he placed his hand on the small of her back as she moved passed him.

"Five years seems pretty good." He replied and she bit her lip to keep her smile from getting any bigger as they walked around the back of the building towards his car.  Once they were back in the car and headed back to her office he began asking questions again.  "What made you decide to get into interior design?" He asked placing his sunglasses over his eyes. 

"I don't know really." Rachel answered honestly.  "I wasted a lot of time in college taking stupid classes.  I was really only there on a dancing scholarship and thought that was what I was going to do for the rest of my life.  After my knee injury I had to decide what I really wanted to do.  I took an intro to design class and fell in love with it."

"You're very good at what you do." He said smiling.

"Thank you.  I have a lot of fun.  I really enjoy what I do.  It allows me to be creative and use my imagination."

"What do you do in your free time?" He asked.

"Sleep." She answered honestly.

"A girl after my own heart." He chuckled, making her laugh.  "What else?"

"Suddenly I feel like I'm in a job interview.  I hate to break it to you, but you've already signed the contract.  You're stuck with me till the job's done." She teased.

"I'm okay with that." He grinned at her and Rachel felt her heart skip.

"Um...I like to listen to music." She offered.

"Who's your favorite artist?" He asked.

That is a dangerous question.  "It changes all the time." She answered.  "My taste in music is pretty eclectic."

"What's on your Ipod right now?" He asked.

"I don't have an Ipod."

"What?!" He questioned, surprised.  He lifted his sunglasses and looked back and forth between her and the road a few times.  "Everyone has an Ipod."

"Not everyone." Rachel replied.

"Okay then...what's in your CD player?"

Normally this was the part where Rachel revealed herself as being the crazy, obsessed fan that she still was.  However, as she thought about what was in her car CD player at the moment she felt a bit relived at the fact that she wouldn't have to lie to him-especially since she wasn't particularly good at lying-or confess just how obsessed with him she really was.  Usually she had any one of the many NSYNC CD's she owned in her player, but yesterday it just so happened she'd been listening to the alternative group Simple Plan and told him so.  "What about you?" She questioned. 

"I've kind of been on a jazz kick recently." He answered.  "Do you know who Miles Davis is?"  Rachel shook her head.  "He was a trumpet player and I really like his music.  Do you like jazz?" He asked.

"I don't dislike it." Rachel replied.  "I don't own any jazz records though."

"Well, if you're ever looking for a good jazz musician, remember Miles Davis."

"I will.  Thanks." She smiled as they pulled into her office parking lot.  Rachel had expected JC to just drop her off so she was surprised-though she didn't know why-when he pulled into a spot and got out of the car with her.  He'd been the perfect gentleman every other time they'd been together, why should now be any different?  His Momma certainly trained him well.  Rachel thought with a smile.   

~~~~~

"Rachel?" JC asked as he walked with her towards the door of her office building.

"Yeah?" She looked up at him.

He shoved his hands in his pockets.  "Can, uh...can we do this again when I get back?  Maybe next Wednesday?"

He watched as a slow smile spread across her face, her beautiful brown eyes sparkling.  "I'd like that." She said stopping outside the front door. 

"Then it's a date?" He asked, taking off his sunglasses and hooking them on the pocket of his shirt as hope surged through him. 

"It's a date." She smiled.  "Thanks, JC."  She said and he decided to act on an urge he'd had since she'd told him her regret at walking away from him last year.  Before he could talk himself out of it he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her in a hug.  He felt her stiffen at the unexpected contact from him as he placed his hands on her back, but almost as quickly she seemed to melt against him, her own arms coming around him-her hands resting against his back as he held her. 

"I had a really nice time." Rachel said her voice low in his ear.

"Me too." He replied as he felt her moving to step away.  However, he wasn't done holding her yet and tightened his arms slightly to keep her against him.  It had been a while since he'd hugged someone just for the sake of hugging them with no expectations-just two people sharing a connection with one another.  As he stood there with his arms wrapped around her, his head bent close to hers, the clean smell of her intoxicating perfume surrounding him he came to a conclusion.   He loved the way she felt against him.  She just...fit. 

~~~~~

Rachel smiled when JC wouldn't let her go.  Alright, if you're not done, neither am I.  She thought as she relaxed against him again, closing her eyes while she enjoyed the comfort his arms were giving.  There was something that just felt good and right about having his arms around her.  Even though she was attracted to him, there was nothing sexual in this hug, and Rachel was surprised at the way it made her feel.  It was like being healed.  Suddenly the melancholy she'd been feeling since her relapse a week ago seemed to lift and when he finally pulled back, his arms releasing her, she wanted to hold on to him.  It was as if she'd found a part of herself that she hadn't known was missing and it was being taken away again.  Her arms now felt empty and she didn't like the feeling.

"I'll call ya." He said, his eyes holding hers.

"Okay." Rachel smiled.  He winked at her as he turned and walked back towards his car.  "JC?" She called out.  He immediately turned and looked at her.  "Have a safe trip." She offered.

"Thanks.  I'll see you next Wednesday." He replied as he slid into his car.  Rachel smiled and stood, watching as he backed up.  She waved as he drove past then turned and walked into the lobby.

Aubrey sat behind the front desk with a huge smile on her face.  "Things seem to be heating up between you two." She smirked.

"We just went to lunch." Rachel replied, trying to sound nonchalant, though she could feel her cheeks warming.

"Uh-huh." Aubrey remarked, unconvinced.  "And what was with the PDA just now?"

"Friend's aren't allowed to hug?" Rachel asked.

"Honey, friendship is not what that man has in mind for you." Aubrey stated matter of factly.

"He's a client." Rachel said, her heart beginning to race.  Aubrey didn't say anything, just sat there looking at her knowingly.  "Stop it." Rachel commanded as she walked around the desk and headed towards her cubicle.  "He's a client and we're just friends."

"You keep telling yourself that." Aubrey chuckled.

Rachel sat down in her chair, an excited giggle escaping as the events of the past hour finally caught up with her.  Not only had JC shown up unexpectedly and taken her to lunch, but he had spent most of the past hour trying to get to know her.  Her!  Rachel Oliva Kline!  He had asked her out again, and had given her one of the most amazing hugs she'd ever had.  Rachel sighed as she closed her eyes as she recalled the feel of his arms around her and the comfort she'd gotten from him.

After wasting another couple minutes replaying every second of their conversation and reliving every smile, every laugh and every look he'd given her Rachel had herself convinced that Aubrey was right-maybe JC did want more than just friendship from her.  Was she okay with that?  Hell yeah!  She giggled again as she logged into her computer and double clicked on the internet icon.  This is so much better than fan fiction!  Logging into her email account she began typing a message to Megan.

Megs,

So you will never guess who showed up an hour ago and took me to lunch. 

Go on guess. 

Do you give up?  Alright, the correct answer is: JC...as in JC Chasez!  And...he asked me out again!  As he was walking me to the door (yes he is a gentleman, I love it!) he asked if we could go out to lunch again when he got back into town.  We have a lunch date next Wednesday!  Ahhh!!!!  Oh, and he gave me one of the most AMAZING hugs I've ever gotten as we were saying good bye. 

Pretty sure I'm falling in love with him (again).  Is that bad?  Yeah, he's a celebrity, and a musician at that, but he is such a great guy.  Every time I see him he is so sweet to me.  Sigh...as always, I am in sooooo much trouble...

-Rach

P.S. Have you ever heard of Miles Davis?

Rachel sent the email and waited, knowing Megan frequently checked her email when she was at work.  As she waited Rachel tried concentrating on the work she had to do.  Lucy's wedding was next weekend and Rachel had finally convinced the girl that it was too late to make any more changes and what she'd last decided on would be beautiful.  A few minutes later she logged back into her email account, excited when she saw a new message from Megan in her inbox.

Ray,

Eeeeeeee!!! (That was me squealing excitedly, just in case you were wondering.)

He just showed up and took you to lunch?  For no reason?  What did you talk about?  What did he look like?  Where did you go? You have another date set up?!  HE HUGGED YOU?!? 

Oh, we have GOT to talk tonight!  Call me!

Isn't Miles Davis that guy who Richard Gere's character liked on "Runaway Bride"?  Why do you ask?

-Megan

Rachel smiled as she read Megan's email.  She sent her a quick replay telling her she would definitely call her later, then googled Miles Davis.  Finding a website all about the guy, Rachel listened to a few of the sample tracks available and decided he was pretty good.  She could see why JC would appreciate him as an artist.  Putting the song that had been on the "Runaway Bride" soundtrack on repeat, Rachel forced herself to once more concentrate on the work she had to get done-a hard task when all she wanted was to be able to somehow fast forward to next Wednesday.  Where's a time machine when you need one? She sighed.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc