Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Rachel, Megan and Jackson are my characters :)

Rachel pushed the hair from her face as she stood back and surveyed the room.  She placed her hands on her hips.  Things were coming together nicely.  After waking up and rushing to be over here this morning to meet the delivery guys, Rachel had then called and had a couple of the interns at her firm come over.  They had helped her dismantle and move JC's original bed to the basement, then set up and arrange the new bed and his other pieces of furniture.  The three guys had put in a long hard day and had left about forty minutes ago.  She felt bad for them-they had looked almost dead as they'd trudged out the door-but they got paid for their time and it was all part of being an intern.  You had to do the grunt work to earn your place in the business.  Rachel looked at her watch.  Four o'clock.  You know what would look really good in here?  A bonzi tree.  But where do I find one of those?  Rachel pulled the phone from her pocket.

Where do I find

a bonzi tree?

She sent the text and waited for Megan's response.  Her phone vibrated in her pocket and she pulled it out.

What the hell?

What do you need

a bonzi tree for?

Rachel laughed at Megan's response. 

I just got an idea

for JC's room.  I

need a bonzi tree.

Rachel sent the text and looked at her watch.  If I leave now I could run to the store and be back in an hour.  Rachel didn't know what time JC's flight got in but hopefully she would be able to get what she needed, get back here and get the room done before he got home.

I would try a garden

center somewhere like

Walmart or Home Depot.

Rachel tried to think where a Home Depot was in relation to JC's house. 

Thanks!

Gathering her hair with her hands and putting it in a pony tail holder Rachel jogged down the stairs and locked the front door.  Sliding into her car she flipped on the radio and got excited when she heard the familiar beat of "SexyBack" on the dance station she usually listened to.  Cranking the volume Rachel smiled. 

"I'm bringin' sexy back..." Justin's voice sang out.

"Oh, yes you did." Rachel remarked then laughed at herself.  Here she was, lusting after Justin Timberlake when she had the one and only JC Chasez possibly interested in her.  Mmmm...she thought, mentally weighing the two men against each other in her head.  JC...Justin...JC...Justin...Justin did bring sexy back.  What has JC brought back? She laughed.  "Okay, there's really no comparison." She said out loud.  Justin may be hella sexy, but JC was charming and sweet and adorable and apparently interested in her.  Jessica can have Justin.  Rachel thought as she exited the gate and made her way towards town.

An hour later, after going to three garden centers, two home stores, and the mall Rachel once again let herself into JC's house, her arms laden down with bags as she tried to balance the one and only bonzi tree the city apparently had.  Locking the door behind her she made her way back up to his bedroom.  Depositing her bags on the bed she placed the tree on his dresser.  Returning to the bags on the bed Rachel withdrew the rectangular shaped mirror she'd found at a store in the mall.  Grabbing the hammer she'd brought this morning and set in the corner, she hung the mirror above his dresser.  Stepping back Rachel smiled in satisfaction.  "This is looking good." She said aloud.  "I need some music.  He's got to have a stereo around here somewhere."

Looking around Rachel pursed her lips as she thought.  If I were JC Chasez's stereo where would I be?  She thought for a moment.  The bathroom maybe?  She stepped into the enormous bathroom the man had.  Bingo! She thought as she spied a control panel on the wall by the vanity.  After pressing a few buttons, Rachel tuned the built in radio to one of the local pop stations and went back to finishing his room.

~~~~~~ 

"Yeah, Mom, I'm home." JC spoke, holding his phone up to his ear, his left elbow propped against the window of his Mercedes as he drove into his garage. 

"When are we going to see you again?" Karen asked.

"I don't know." He said, trying to stifle a yawn.  "Sorry, I guess I'm more tired than I thought."

"Well, it's no wonder with how late you stayed up talking to Rachel last night." His mother chuckled and JC smiled as he parked his car.  "Thanks for calling." She said.

He told his mother good-bye then, grabbing his bag from the back seat of his car, headed into the house.  Opening the door to the kitchen he was concerned when the alarm didn't start beeping.  Rachel must have forgotten to set it when she left.  He thought.  Walking through the kitchen and across the foyer he checked the front door just to be sure.  Locked.  Hmmm.  Oh well.  No harm done. He shrugged and, hiking the strap of his duffle bag higher on his shoulder, walked upstairs wondering what his bedroom looked like and if he would like it.  As he made his way down the hall he heard the radio playing.  Feeling anxiousness sweep through him he silently dropped his bag to the floor and cautiously made his way towards the open door.  Reaching into his pocket JC grabbed his cell phone-intent on calling the cops on whomever had managed to get past all his security measures and was now going through his bedroom.

As he crept forward the last few steps his heart skipped when he heard a familiar voice start singing along with the Sheryl Crow song currently playing on the radio. 

Well maybe nothin' lasts forever
Even when you stay together
I don't need forever after
It's your laughter won't let me go
So I'm holding on this way.

JC leaned against the doorframe of his bedroom, his fingers releasing his cell phone as he brought his arms up and folded them across his chest.  He watched, mesmerized, as Rachel continued singing-dancing along with her back to him as she finished pulling up the bedspread on the new bed he'd ordered and tossing a couple throw pillows against the headboard-a slow smile spreading across his face.

JC let his eyes wander around the room as well, impressed with what she'd done.  He liked the color on the walls, and the way she'd rearranged his furniture.  He watched as she danced towards the dresser, her hands reaching out, shifting a medium sized bonzi plant on the dresser slightly.  He smiled as she brushed some of the hair that had escaped her pony tail from her face.  His eyes traveled over her, admiring the way she looked in her jeans.  He'd only seen her wear jeans once before-that night at the club-and he decided that was a crime.  Rachel's butt looked great in jeans.

Did you know, could you tell
You were the only one
That I ever loved
Now everything's so wrong

Did you see me walking by?
Did it ever make you cry?

You're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake.

The words of the song she was singing hit him and his smile faded as he thought of them in conjunction with the regret she had revealed to him last week.  "I regret walking away from him." She had confessed.  He wondered, as her body kept moving to the beat, if she realized exactly what she was singing.  Did the words of the song mean anything to her or were they just lyrics to a song?   

As the song ended she placed her hands on her hips and stepped back from the dresser, surveying the room.  He startled as she suddenly let out a gasp-her eyes finding him in the mirror above the dresser.  She whirled around placing a hand against her heart as she leaned back against the piece of furniture.  "How long have you been standing there?" She asked.

"Long enough to catch the end of the concert." He replied with a grin, straightening and walking into the room.  "You've got a great voice.  That was a good song for you.  It's right in your range." He watched as her cheeks warmed.  

"Suddenly I feel like I'm on American Idol, being critiqued by the judges." She replied with smile.

"Well, I am a reality show judge, you know.  And I do know a thing or two about singing." He replied making her laugh as he looked around the room again.

~~~~~

Rachel pulled her bottom lip between her teeth nervously as she watched JC walk across the room.  She was anxious to know what he thought of the room.  When he remained quiet, his eyes taking in all the changes she began to worry.  Maybe he didn't like it.  Would he tell her if he didn't like it?  "So...?" She asked finally as he stopped next to the bed, unable to bear the silence anymore.

"Good job." He smiled at her, sending her heart fluttering. 

"Yeah?" She asked suddenly feeling extremely pleased with herself.

"Yeah." He nodded, flopping back on the bed. 

Rachel smiled as he looked over at her.  "So I was wondering..." She paused.

"What?" He asked, propping himself up on one elbow.

"Nevermind." She said, suddenly unsure of how he would react to her idea for downstairs and deciding to find another time to bring it up with him.

"Well, I was wondering," He said.  "Since MTV is coming, it might look kind of weird if only a few rooms look like this," he spread is arms to indicate the drastic change his bedroom had undergone over the weekend, "While the rest of the house is still beige and boring.  How would you feel about doing the rest of the house for me?"

"Really?" Rachel asked in surprise, straightening. 

"Really." He grinned at her.  

"I'd love to." She smiled.  "I was actually going to ask you if you would mind if I did something downstairs in the game room."

"What did you have in mind?" He asked. 

"A new built in shelving unit for all your awards." She answered, worried about what he would think.

"You want to make some sort of a shrine down there?" He asked, cocking one brow.

"Well..." She looked at him, trying to read his facial expressions.  "No.  It's just...I though it would be nice to put all your awards in one place.  I walk around and notice them here and there and I just thought...you hate it, don't you?  Be honest."

He grimaced.  "I don't want to build a shrine to myself." He said, swinging his legs off the bed and standing.  "That's why I haven't ever put them all in one place before."

"I wasn't thinking of it as a shrine." She tried to explain, looking down at her hands as he walked towards her.  "Like I said it was just an idea I had.  But I've got others."

"Is this real?" He asked coming to stand beside her as he gestured to the bonzi tree.

"Yeah." She smiled. 

"I don't do so well with plants." He admitted, looking a bit worried. 

"It's just a little bonzi tree, JC.  They're pretty low maintenance."

"But aren't you supposed to trim it or something, all the time?" He asked. 

"Yes.  But I've heard it's very therapeutic.  You might enjoy it." She patted his arm.  He looked down at where her hand rested against him as she continued.  "I can buy you a book if you want." She offered with a grin, removing her hand.  He placed a hand on the dresser as he leaned towards her slightly.  "Were you able to get any sleep on the plane?" She asked, noticing the tiredness in his eyes.

"Some." He replied, his eyes searching hers.  Rachel's heart began to pound as he leaned even closer to her.  She tried to think of a reason why she shouldn't let him kiss her, but as she watched his head lower she found herself leaning towards him as well.  "Rachel?" He asked.

"Yeah?" She breathed, her eyes slowly closing.

"I..." He paused and just when she thought he was going to kiss her, her phone chimed in her pocket-startling them and breaking the spell they'd been under.  JC cleared his throat as he stepped away from her.  He brought a hand up, rubbing the back of his neck, watching her as she pulled her phone from her pocket.

So did you find

your bonzi tree? 

Incredible timing, Megs.  Rachel thought sarcastically as she returned the phone to her pocket.  She watched as JC left the room, returning seconds later, a large black duffle bag in one hand.  He tossed it onto the bed as he smiled at her. 

"Well, I uh...I better get going."  Rachel walked around the room, gathering the tools she'd brought and picking up the shopping bags she'd just tossed in the corner.  "You've got to get unpacked and I know you're probably exhausted."

"You don't have to leave." He stated with a small smile.  Yes.  Yes I do. Rachel thought as she made her way towards the door.  It's dangerous being in here with you.  "Are you done?  I don't want to stop you if there was still something you were working on."

"Nope." Rachel replied.  "I'm done in here."

"Sit down." He said, gesturing to the bed next to him.

No, bad things happen with on this bed with you...actually, really good things happen but they're bad for my hormones.  Rachel stood, looking at him for a second.  She really didn't want to go-she wanted to spend time with him-but she knew he must be dead on his feet.  He'd stayed up till two-thirty talking with her this morning then had spent all day traveling.  However, as she continued standing, he gestured with his head towards the bed, an adorable grin on his face.  Apparently he wanted to spend time with her as well, and who was she to tell him no?   Rachel felt a bit giddy as she gingerly sat down on the edge of the bed beside him.  It had been a while-a long while since a guy had been this genuinely interested in her and she wanted to pinch herself to make sure this was real.   

"So, two down?" He asked.

"Huh?" Rachel asked confused.

"Two rooms down." He clarified.

"Oh, right." Rachel said with a smile.  "Yeah, two down."

"Are we still on for Wednesday?" He asked, taking an armful of clothes from the bag and dumping them on the bed. 

 ~~~~~ 

"Of course." Rachel said smiling as he took out a couple pairs of shoes from the bottom of the bag and dropped them to the floor beside him.  JC watched as she pulled her legs up on the bed and crossed them beneath her, and couldn't help grinning at the picture of comfort she made.  He had been curious to see how things would be between them after their conversation last night and he was excited that she seemed more relaxed around him now.   "We can talk about what you want to do with the rest of the house over lunch or..." She paused.

"Or?"

"Or...I'm free Monday afternoon if you want to get together before that." She smiled at him as she leaned back on her hands.  JC swallowed hoping his desire for her wasn't as obvious as he felt it was.  Baby, you have no idea how badly I want to get together with you.  He cleared his throat and grabbed a couple of his shirts.

"Monday it is." He grinned at her as he walked towards the closet.

"How long is the flight from L.A. to Maryland?" Rachel asked as he stepped into the closet.

"Eight hours." He replied, hanging up the shirts and walking back into the room.  "Give or...take..." He trailed off when he saw Rachel had moved and was now lying on her stomach across the bed, her head propped in her hands as she looked at him.  He wanted to ask her if she had any idea what she was doing to him.  Was she trying to test him or was she really that naïve and innocent?  Did she have any idea the thoughts he was having?  The way he was dying to join her on the bed and finish what they'd started at the furniture store?  They were alone-there would be no salesmen to interrupt them this time-and his body vividly recalled what it had felt like to hold her close while lying on this bed.  

"Give or take what?" She asked, breaking him from his dangerous thoughts. 

"How many stops there are." He choked out, finally forcing his feet to move.  He came to stand next to the bed, fighting the devil on his shoulder tempting him to crawl up there next to her. 

"How many stops did you have?" She asked, looking up at him.  Her curious brown eyes did strange things to his heart and made his stomach flip. 

"One." He replied quickly grabbing his shaving kit and toothbrush from the duffle and walking around the bed to the bathroom.  Setting the items on the counter JC put his hands down on the cool granite, his fingers gripping the edge as he hung his head.  Counting to ten...then twenty he concentrated, taking a few deep breaths, attempting to cool his body's response to the beautiful woman in the next room.

"What do you do to pass the time?" She asked.

"Sleep." He called out.  Finally feeling in control of himself he put his toothbrush in the holder and walked back into the room.  "Or read."

"I know you like Mitch Albom," Rachel said.  "What other books do you like?"

"Whatever catches my eye at the gift shop." He replied with a shrug.

"What caught your eye today?" She asked.  You.  He thought as he reached into his bag and tossed a paperback at her, sliding his now empty bag under the bed.  "The Innocent Man." She read aloud the title of the John Grisham novel he'd purchased.  "Is it good?"

"I only made it through the first chapter before I fell asleep." He admitted.

"Because you were tired or because the book was boring?" She asked looking up at him, her eyes sparkling teasingly.

"Because I was tired." He replied with a smile.  "See, I was up kinda late last night talking to this girl..." He winked at her.

"Oh yeah?" Rachel asked with a smile as she got up from the bed.

"Yeah, and she just kept talking and talking and talking..." He rolled his eyes and imitated someone talking with his hand.

Rachel gasped as she smiled.  "Oh!" She slapped his arm playfully.  "You were the one who kept getting off on all those random tangents, Mr. I-Wanna-Be-The-Invisible-Man." She said, rolling her eyes.  He laughed and grabbed her hand as she moved to walk away. 

"Wait.  Don't go." He said turning and facing her.  "I was just teasing."

"I know." She said with a smile.  "But I've been here all day working and..." she stifled a yawn with her free hand.  "Oh, sorry.  I'm kinda tired."

"Late night?" He teased.

"Yeah." She smiled up at him.  "But it was worth it." 

He smiled as they began moving towards the door.  Threading his fingers with hers JC kept a hold of Rachel's hand while they walked downstairs and out to her car. 

"Have a good night." He said, opening the driver's side door for her.

"Thanks." She smiled before she slid behind the wheel, her fingers sliding from his.  "I'll see you on Monday."

"Bye." He waved as she left then turned back to the house, recalling the easy and natural way it felt to hold her hand and chuckling at the way she had been teasing him as they talked.  Locking the front door and heading back upstairs JC found himself counting the hours till he saw her again.     

~~~~~~

"I still want to do some shelves downstairs." Rachel said, Monday afternoon.  They were sitting across from each other at the kitchen table-design catalogues and magazines spread out between them.  "Do you have anything else we could put down there?"

"Uh..." He furrowed his brow as he thought for a moment. 

"Do you have a collection of anything?" Rachel asked, placing the end of her pen in her mouth.  "Sports memorabilia?  Shot glasses?  Snow globes from around the world?" She grinned as he chuckled.

"I've got a collection of Hard Rock Café menus." He offered.

"Hmmm..." Rachel hummed as she thought.  "That could work.  How many do you have?"

He shrugged.  "I have no idea.  I pick one up whenever I go to a new one."

Rachel nodded her head, a smile spreading as an idea began forming.  "Are they somewhere you can pull them out?"

"Sure." He replied.  "What are you thinking?"

"I'll let you know when I'm done formulating." She smiled as she flipped to an empty page in her notebook and began sketching.

"Okay." He chuckled. 

"Can I ask you a question?" She inquired after a few moments of silence. 

"Sure." He replied, idly flipping through one of the catalogues she'd brought.

"Why are all your songs dirty?" Rachel asked.

JC looked up from the catalogue, in surprise.  "That...uh, do you always get this personal with your clients?" He asked, a bit taken back.

She smiled at him as she shrugged.  They both knew he was more than just a client.  "I'm just curious." She said.  Again she stuck the end of her pen in her mouth.  "You don't have to answer, but..."

"But..." He mimicked looking back at the catalogue in his hands, continuing to flip pages and refusing to meet her eyes. 

"But I really want you to." She said.  He remained quiet.  "Are you ever embarrassed to know your mom may be listening to your music?" She asked.

"My family loves and supports me in whatever I do." He answered confidently without looking up at her.

"Yeah, but still." Rachel continued to prod, "Doesn't it embarrass you?  At all?  Even a little?"

"Nope." He looked across at her.  Rachel sat looking at him, staring into his blue eyes, trying to decide if he was telling her the truth.  "I don't have to defend myself to you." He declared.

"But if you did?" She asked.

"If I did," he raised an arrogant brow, "I'd tell you that I liked what I put out and more than a few people liked it as well.  It did pretty well."

"Hmmm." Rachel said, pursing her lips and placing her chin in her hand as she leaned on the table.  "And remind me, JC...where exactly is your album on the charts these days?"

"Okay, you know what?" He said in irritation, finally laying the catalogue open on the table and leaning towards her.  Rachel tried to keep a straight face, but a giggle escaped as he pointed a stern finger at her.  "No one said you had to listen to my music.  If it's offensive to you, don't buy it." He argued.  

"Easy, Tiger." She said holding up her hands in surrender and looking back at her sketch book.  They were both silent as he picked up the catalogue again.  She could tell he was agitated by the violent way he was turning pages, but she couldn't help pushing his buttons just a little more, digging just a little further.  He intrigued her to no end and she felt an overwhelming urge to get to know who he really was as a person-not just the celebrity she'd first fallen in love with twelve years ago. 

"You know..." She drawled.

~~~~~

JC groaned and once more placed the catalogue on the table.  Rachel looked up at him with her big brown eyes and he wanted nothing more than to wipe that innocent look from her face.  He was so frustrated right now he didn't know if he wanted to strangle her or kiss her senseless and it didn't help that the entire time she'd been sitting there across from him he'd been unable to concentrate on the task at hand.  He was supposed to be giving her ideas for the game room and guest bedrooms downstairs, but he'd been flipping through this particular catalogue for the past twenty minutes, his mind unable to concentrate.  There she sat, her legs drawn up Indian style beneath her, her long hair pulled back in a no nonsense ponytail-making his fingers itch to reach over and release it-her brow furrowed slightly as she bent over her sketch pad, and that damn perfume she wore completely immobilizing him.    

"I just think," she continued, "you'd have been a lot more successful in your solo career if you'd kept it a little cleaner.  I think you forgot that most of your fans were still young when you guys went on hiatus and you started doing your own thing." 

"Thank you, Dr. Phil." He replied sarcastically.

"Don't get me wrong." She said propping her elbow back up on the table and resting her chin once more in her hand.  "I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fan of some of the more scandalous songs you wrote for the group but those aren't my favorite songs of yours.  As a fan..." She hesitated.

"As a fan?" He prompted realizing that her opinion mattered to him.  As much as he wanted to feel irritated at her for sitting there, criticizing his music...he couldn't.  As much as he knew he should be weirded out by Rachel sitting there admitting she was a fan...he wasn't.  This was normally the part where he tried to cut ties with a girl, knowing she was only interested in him because of his status and the fact that she'd been idolizing him since she was a teenager.  However, over the last several weeks Rachel had proven she was interested in him as a person, keeping the fact that she knew who he was and that she was fan out of the equation as they'd been getting to know each other. 

"I was disappointed." She admitted. 

"Because you wanted another N SYNC album?" He guessed, rolling his eyes.  This was nothing he hadn't heard before.  A lot of the fan mail he'd received before and since he'd released Schizophrenic was nothing but fans wanting to know when the group was going to get back together. 

"No." She said, shaking her head.  "No.  I was thrilled that you were releasing a solo album.  I mean, what could be better than an entire CD with just your voice on it?" She smiled at him.  "But I didn't want to hear about how many ways there was to have sex or that you spent all day dreaming about it or all about you having a one night stand." She looked at him.  "You are an incredible song writer, JC and you've written some great music." She continued.  "You have such an unbelievable amount of talent.  All I want to know is why are you wasting your time?"

He sat there, lost for words.  He didn't have an answer for her and that irritated him.  Who was she, thinking she could sit there and throw judgment down on him?  Who was she, thinking that she had the right to tell him what he should or shouldn't put on his album?  Sure, his first CD hadn't done as well as he'd hoped but how many CDs had she released?  How many chart toping songs had she written and produced?  The music business was tough, everyone knew that.  You were hot one day and cold the next.  No one knew what made a number one album; if they did there'd be a whole lot more of them out there.  What did she know about what did or didn't make a good album?

He was about to ask her that very question when his phone rang.  "Excuse me." He said, the words coming out harsher than he anticipated, as he scooted his chair back and stood.  She offered him an apologetic smile, before once more dipping her head and concentrating on the sketch in front of her. 

After answering the call, and taking a few deep breaths, JC came back into the kitchen.  He walked up behind her, peering over her shoulder at what she was working on.  She hadn't noticed him yet and he took advantage of the situation to breath in the heavenly scent of her perfume.  He hadn't been able to pinpoint the exact combination of scents yet but whatever it was, he was a big fan and he silently thanked whatever genius had come up with the unique blend. 

"That looks good." He said finally.  "I like it."  Rachel jumped at his voice.  She'd been so caught up in working on the design theme for the game room she hadn't noticed him coming to stand behind her.  She looked over her shoulder at him. 

"Really?" She asked.  "I was thinking that we can put the menus on the shelves-maybe frame a few of them?" She pointed out what she'd sketched.  "We can do the walls in a coordinating color.  A dark gold perhaps?  And maybe just do the wall with the shelves in maroon?  I think it'll add that little extra something to the atmosphere down there."   

"Yeah." He smiled.  "Yeah, I like it.  Except," He sat down in the chair beside her and pulled the sketch book towards him.  "May I?" He asked, holding his hand out for the pencil she held. 

~~~~~

Rachel handed her pencil over to him and watched as JC began making a few changes.  She found herself leaning towards him, looking over his shoulder as he made a few notes on things he liked and things he wanted to maybe change.  The spicy scent of his aftershave surrounded her and Rachel soon found her eyes wandering up, moving hungrily over his profile.  She sat, just looking at him, once again marveling at just how dangerously attractive he was.  She felt like pinching herself, still blown away that she was actually sitting here next to him.  He turned just then-the full force of his blue eyes coming to rest on her-and all thought left her head.  She swallowed, suddenly feeling a nervous excitement fill her. 

"I'm sorry." She heard herself saying, her voice almost a whisper.

"For what?" He questioned equally quiet, his eyes boring into hers. 

She licked her lips and watched as his eyes lowered to her mouth as he watched the movement of her tongue.  "I didn't mean to criticize you, or your music." She apologized.  "It's your life.  It's your career.  You can do what you want, obviously.  I just--" Rachel stopped, her heart skipping a few beats and her breath catching as he leaned towards her, their faces mere inches apart.  He stretched one arm out across the back of the chair she sat in, his other arm resting on the table in front of her.  She was trapped, yet she had no intention whatsoever in moving.

"You were right." He said quietly.

"I was?" She questioned, her eyes registering the shock she felt. 

He nodded slowly and she found herself watching his mouth as he spoke.  "Sometimes I'm embarrassed to know my mom may be listening to my music."

Rachel smiled, a small laugh escaping, as she raised her eyes once more to his. 

"Rachel?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah?" She breathed, a shiver running down her spine at the way he was looking at her.

"If I kiss you, are you going to slap me?"

"Why would I slap you?"  She continued looking at him as he remained quiet, searching his eyes.  He didn't answer and she knew, no matter what she said, he was going to kiss her.  "Does it matter?" She asked.

He remained quiet for a second then, with a shake of his head, responded. "Not really."

"Then why ask?" She responded, leaning forward slightly.  The corners of his mouth twitched up slightly as he closed the distance between them.  Rachel closed her eyes and released the breath she felt like she'd been holding for more than a year as he pressed his lips against hers softly.  She was about to tip her head to the side and urge him to deepen the contact when he pulled back.  She opened her eyes in surprise and disappointment to find him watching her intently as if gauging her reaction.  Without thinking she placed her hands on his face and pulled him towards her, kissing him the way she'd wanted to since leaving him at Megan's wedding.

~~~~~

JC groaned and gave in as Rachel took control of the kiss.  He'd always enjoyed it when girls were confident in physical affection.  It let him know he wasn't the only one wanting the contact.  As Rachel tipped her head to the side, deepening the kiss he moved the arm that was resting on the back of her chair-placing his hand on her back, drawing her towards him.  The arm that had been on the table came up, his hand touching her face before moving to rest at the back of her head-holding her close and making sure she didn't leave before he was good and ready to release her. 

However, the chairs they were sitting in, and their positions, made the kiss between them awkward.  As if they could read each other's thoughts they both stood, never breaking the seal of their lips, the sound of the chairs scraping across the floor all but ignored as Rachel wrapped her arms around his neck.  He moved his hands to her waist, as she dug her fingers into his dark hair, and tightened his hold on her a second before lifting her slightly.  Rachel felt her feet leave the ground and she tore her lips from his as her bottom came in contact with the table. 

JC looked into her eyes for a moment then slowly reached one hand behind her head and released her ponytail.  Rachel felt a shiver run down her spine as his eyes left hers and he ran his fingers through her hair fanning it around her shoulders.  Finally, he brought his hands up to frame her face, his thumbs stroking her cheeks as he once more lowered his head and, tilting her head slightly, placed a series of small kisses to her lips. 

Rachel groaned as he continued teasing her with his mouth, her hands moving down to press against his back, urging him closer, wanting him to once more take full possession of her mouth.  She marveled at the strong muscles she could feel through his T-shirt and wondered briefly what he would look like with his shirt off.  JC had always been the hesitant one in the group when it came to doing shirtless photos, but there were enough candid shots out there of him that Rachel knew she would probably die if she were to ever personally witness JC Chasez shirtless. 

As Rachel's thoughts were wandering, JC's lips began to wander as well.  He slowly moved from her mouth, across her delicate jaw and down one side of her neck, his other hand caressing the opposite side of her neck.  As he heard her small moans, and felt her hands grip the fabric of his shirt he smiled against her skin.  It was nice to know he affected her at least as much as she did him. 

Finally though, he pulled back, his breathing labored as he once more brought his hands up and gently cupped her face between them. Rachel brought her own hands up, grabbing onto his wrists as she slowly opened her beautiful brown eyes and he smiled at the dreamy expression on her face.  He'd seen that look before on other girls and he'd never thought twice about it.  But, for some reason, seeing it on Rachel's face-combined with hearing her labored breathing and seeing the evidence of his kiss on her swollen lips-made him feel things he'd never felt before.  It was like a light had been turned on and things that had been in shadow suddenly took shape and made sense.  As he moved his thumbs across her cheeks he felt a jolt go through him as her tongue snaked out quickly, wetting her lips and he gently pressed his mouth to hers again.  When he once more released her, he leaned his forehead down, pressing it against hers as he closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths.

"You're even better than I remembered." He admitted softly.

"What?" Rachel asked in surprise as she placed her hands on his chest and pushed him back slightly.  As she looked into his eyes understanding finally dawned and she felt her eyes go wide.  He knew!  He knew who she was.  He knew who she was and he had let her believe he didn't.  Before she could stop herself she pulled her hand back and slapped him.

He released her instantly, his blue eyes shocked as he rubbed his cheek.  "What the hell was that for?"  He asked. 

"You knew?" She spat out.  "All this time, you knew who I was and you let me believe..." Oh she was furious!  She could literally feel her blood boiling at her anger and humiliation.  She closed her eyes and hung her head, her hands coming up to cover her eyes as she groaned.  Everything she'd said to him over the past month came back to her.  She'd been such an idiot!  "You've known the whole time?" She asked looking back at him, placing one hand over her mouth.

"No." He shook his head.  "I didn't remember at first, I--" 

"How long?" She interrupted him as she got down off the table and straightened her shirt.  "How long have you known?"

"Since the night we met at the club." He answered contritely.

She groaned out in frustration as humiliation washed through her-recalling some of their more recent conversations.  The flirtatious comments they'd exchanged; the several near kisses.  She felt like her cheeks were on fire and she could feel hot tears coming as she recalled confessing her biggest regret to him.  He had known!  He had sat there, listening to her go on and on about how she regretted walking away from him and had said nothing.  Moving quickly past him Rachel tried to escape.  She didn't make it very far though, before his arms came around her from behind-halting her progress

"Rachel wait." He said.

"Let me go, JC!" She responded vehemently, struggling to escape his grasp.

"No." He replied, his strong arms holding her captive.  "I'm not letting you walk away again."

Chapter End Notes:
so...what did you think?? :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc