Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer...see previous chapters.

I'm sad that the reviews I recieved when I posted this on Friday are gone :(

JC was on the verge of consciousness when a familiar scent invaded his dreams.  He inhaled deeply and tried drawing closer to the source of that sweet, intoxicating perfume as he became lost in his dreams once more.

He reached out and wrapped his arms around Rachel as she turned to leave.  Resting his forehead against the back of her head, his nose brushed along the skin behind her ear.  "You told me you regretted walking away from me a year ago." He said.   "Don't walk away from me tonight.  Don't make the same mistake again."  He continued, hoping and praying she'd stay.  He needed her and even though he knew it was low of him using the information she'd entrusted to him against her he was desperate.  She dropped her arms as he kissed her ear and he felt her shudder slightly, a smug smile spreading.  Her resolve was weakening.  "You can't tell me this isn't what you've always wanted." He continued, turning her in his arms.  She looked up at him pleadingly and he knew she was close to giving in to him however, just when he thought she was going to wrap her arms around his neck and kiss him back she drew back her hand and slapped him.

JC sat up in bed, his jaw hurt and his hand came up reflexively to hold his face.  However, instead of feeling his hand on his cheek he felt the fabric of the sweatshirt he held in his hands.  He looked at the grey article of clothing in confusion for a second before it registered what he was holding.  Rachel's sweatshirt.  He realized.  "She was really here?" He mumbled out loud.  That would explain the soreness he felt in his cheek.  Suddenly the recollection of Rachel actually slapping him came back and JC groaned.  He couldn't remember exactly what he'd said to her, but he still felt the overwhelming and nauseating regret that had consumed him at the pain and betrayal he'd seen in her eyes.  He rubbed his cheek.  She had a good arm on her, he'd give her that much.  He hadn't expected her to slap him quite so hard.

He swung his legs over the edge of his bed, fighting the pain in his head that made him want to throw up-he'd had a lot to drink last night.  The last thing he remembered was getting angry over how his life had turned out and throwing his glass across the room.  After that he'd gotten a new glass and poured himself another drink and things got a little hazy.  What happened last night?  He wondered.  Fighting the dizziness and the pounding in his head JC made his way towards the bathroom. 

Leaning against the counter he turned on the water faucet, but got distracted by his reflection. His eyes were dull and bloodshot and his entire countenance was haggard.  Suddenly he looked and felt every one of his thirty-two years.  "What happened to you last night?"  He asked the man in the mirror.  "Couldn't handle the truth?"  Shaking his head in derision, JC leaned over the sink and splashed some water in his face hoping it would help him wake up and piece together the events of last night.  He had a sinking feeling that something bad had happened.  But what?  It was obvious from the sweatshirt he'd been holding that Rachel had come over.  But why? He wondered, reaching for the hand towel hanging nearby.  Running it over his face, he once more studied his reflection in the mirror.

"Josh?" Rachel asked softly.  His head felt like it weighed a ton, but somehow he managed to raise it, looking up into the brown eyes that had been in his thoughts and dreams for more than a year.  Normally those eyes were happy and sparkling, but right now they were sad.  He dropped his head back against the wall as she bent and picked up the now empty bottle of Tequila next to him then disappeared.  When she didn't come back right away he began to question whether he'd really seen her or if she'd just been a hallucination.

"Rachel?" He called out, hoping she were real.  She'd said she would come, but part of him wondered if she really would.

"I'm here." She said, reappearing and kneeling down beside him.  He watched her as she reached a hand out and ran her fingers through his hair.  As her hand came to rest against his face he closed his eyes and leaned into her touch-needing the reassuring comfort she was offering.  "What happened?" She questioned quietly.

"What happened?" He repeated her question to his reflection.  What had happened to make her do a complete one-eighty?  What had happened to bring hurt and pain where before there had been such genuine concern and compassion in her beautiful eyes?  What had he done?  Why had he gotten so drunk last night?  Sighing, he tossed the towel on the counter, walked through his room and headed downstairs.  As he reached the bottom step he stopped.

"Come on, help me out." Rachel said, repositioning herself under his arm.  He chuckled as he nuzzled her neck, his lips making contact with her skin.  He felt the arm she had around his waist tighten as she placed her other hand on his stomach and he began to wonder what her hands would feel like on his body with no clothing between them.   He tried to behave himself as she helped him up the stairs.  Finally they made it to his room and he sat down on the edge of the bed.  She stood looking at him for a moment, then turned to leave and he grabbed her-stopping her and pulling her back towards him. 

Rachel was stiff in his arms as he stood and wrapped his arms around her, but as he placed a kiss to her neck she relaxed against him-her head coming back to rest against his shoulder.  A thrill went through him as he turned her in his arms and captured her mouth, kissing her the way he'd been longing to all evening.  He turned them and lowered her back on the bed as their kiss continued.  His fingers laced with hers and he brought her arms up above her head, then slowly trailed one hand down, along her arm, stopping at the zipper of her sweatshirt.

He stopped and looked at her-his body responding to hers-as he slowly lowered the zipper.  He half expected her to freeze up as she normally did when he tried to do anything beyond just kissing her, but was pleasantly surprised that she allowed him to continue.  He pushed aside the sweatshirt, and kissed her as his hands came to rest at her waist-his fingers seeking out the soft, smooth skin he'd felt once before.

"Jace, stop."  

Had he stopped?  He couldn't remember.  Please tell me I stopped.  He plead.  If I finally got the chance to sleep with her last night and I can't remember it I'm going to be really pissed.  He thought.  Making his way towards the kitchen he was grateful to see that Sarah had apparently stopped by this morning and started a pot of coffee brewing.  Grabbing a mug from the cupboard he poured a cup and took a few sips.  Turning he walked towards the patio door.  Stepping outside he stood, looking over the yard, but not really seeing it.  So far what he'd remembered wasn't...too bad.  Sure, he'd been a cad and may have gotten a bit too frisky with her, but there was nothing in his behavior that would warrant the almost smothering guilt he felt.  There was still something he was missing.  With a sigh he turned and sat down in one of the deck chairs.  He took another sip of his coffee then, putting the mug on the table next to him, leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

"I'll pay you."

His eyes snapped open as he remembered the words he'd said to her last night.  His heart and chest suddenly constricted, making it hard to breathe as he remembered what had happened to make Rachel slap him.   

"I'll pay you." He had offered.  She stood looking at him, her brown eyes filling with pain, but he didn't stop.  He had to throw one more barb.  He knew he was acting like a child but damn it if he wasn't going to get any he wanted to make sure she was miserable too.  "Oh wait." He chuckled.  "I'm already paying you.  I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth." 

Rachel gasped and the reality of what he'd just said to her filtered through his foggy brain-bitter regret filling him.  But before he could apologize, she drew her hand back and slapped him-hard-the sound of her hand against his cheek reverberating in the quiet room. 

"Damn you, JC Chasez!" She swore as her tears came then turned and fled the room.

What had he done?  He covered his face with his hands as remorse filled him.  He'd used the information she'd given him about being a fan and idolizing him against her.  He'd played on her weaknesses and manipulated her feelings so she'd give into him.  When his tactics hadn't worked he taken the final step over the line and said things to her that he never would have dreamed of saying to her when he was sober.  She'd confessed to him that she'd been hurt in the past and he'd promised her he'd be patient and wait till she was ready.  He'd promised her and what had he done?  He'd gotten drunk because he was feeling sorry for himself and had immediately proceeded to pressure her into sleeping with him.  He'd taken their relationship and cheapened it to such a degree that he didn't know how he was ever going to make it up to her; how he was ever going to convince her that he hadn't meant what he'd said. 

"Damn it!" He swore and tugged at his hair.  He put his hand against his chest in an attempt to ease the ache there.  He'd blown it.  She'd been the best thing to ever happen to him and he'd blown it all by being stupid and selfish and acting like a child. 

He had to talk to her.  He had to try and explain.  He had to apologize-beg on his hands and knees for her forgiveness.  But would she listen to him?  One night of drunken stupidity had shattered the fragile trust she'd given him.  Could he pick up the pieces?  Could he mend what he'd so carelessly broken?  He didn't have a choice.  He had to try.

He loved her.

~~~~~~

Eight hours. 

Four hundred eighty minutes. 

Twenty-eight thousand eight hundred seconds. 

However she looked at it Rachel wanted to die.  It had been eight hours since JC had completely torn apart her world.  Four hundred eighty minutes since she'd slapped him and ran away.  His hurtful words had been echoing in her head for twenty-eight thousand eight hundred seconds. 

She wanted to throw up.

Why had she trusted him?  Why had she let herself get so involved?  Why had she let her guard down?  Deep down she'd known he would one day break her heart and he had.  She had given him so much of herself that she felt like a huge part of her soul was missing.  She had been okay before she'd met him.  She'd been strong and independent.  She'd been fine.  But when she met him-started spending time with him, began opening her heart to him-she'd realized she hadn't been fine.  She'd realized that she'd been missing a part of herself and that he was that other part.  They had fit so perfectly together.  But now that part had been taken away and with it so many feelings and emotions and memories that Rachel didn't know how she was ever going to be able to put herself back together and have any semblance of a normal life again.   

So here she sat-her car stopped at the curb as she looked out over the familiar neighborhood that she'd grown up in.  Finally, she somehow mustered the strength to get out of the car and walk up to the front door of the house.  She knocked and waited-biting her lip as she fought back the endless tears that had been falling since leaving JC early this morning. 

"Rachel?"

Tears fell as she heard his familiar voice and saw her father standing in the doorway.  "Daddy." She sobbed throwing her arms around his neck and burying her head against his chest.

"Rachel?  Honey, what's the matter?" He said, standing in the doorway with his arms around her while she cried.  She couldn't answer; she just clung to him, painful sobs wracking her body.  "It's okay." He soothed, taking a step back and closing the front door.  "It's okay.  I'm here."  He said as he put his arms around her and held her, rocking back and forth gently.  "What happened?" He asked, as her tears began to quiet.  "Are you hurt?  Did someone die?  What's going on?" He questioned, the confusion and concern he was feeling evident in his voice.

"I...I...I just...can I stay here for a few days?" She asked, looking up at him.

"Of course." He answered, putting a hand to her cheek.  "You're always welcome."

"Are you sure?" She asked.  "What about...what about Sherry?" She asked, in reference to her stepmother.  It was no secret that the two women disliked each other.  Rachel had been bitter and hateful towards the woman whom her father had decided to marry after her mother had died.  She'd even refused to talk to her father for about six months after he'd married Sherry and Rachel still felt a lot of resentment in regards to the whole situation, but that didn't matter right now. 

"She's out of town this week on a business trip." Her father answered.  Relief flooded her.  She really didn't need to deal with her stepmother right now.  Rachel felt her bottom lip tremble and she once more placed her head against her father's chest, her bruised heart soaking in the comfort he was offering though it was a poor substitute for the arms she really wanted around her.  But that right there was the problem.  The arms she wanted-the arms she needed-belonged to the one person she couldn't go to.  They belonged to the man who'd broken her heart.

~~~~~~

Megan knocked softly on Rachel's bedroom door Monday morning, a strong sense of déjà vu enveloping her.  How many times had she been in this house?  How many times had she walked down this hallway?  How many times had she knocked on this door? 

When Paul Kline had called her this morning Megan had been surprised.  The last time she'd seen or spoken with Rachel's father had been more than a year ago-before she'd gotten married and Rachel had moved to California.  But as soon as he had told her the reason for calling Megan had gotten in her car-after calling in sick at work-and driven the twenty minutes that separated her and Jackson's house from the neighborhood she'd grown up in.  She'd knocked on the front door of Rachel's childhood home, like she'd done thousands of times in the past and Rachel's father let her in just like old times-but the worried look on his face let her know this wasn't like old times. 

When Rachel refused to open her door, Megan quietly turned the handle and peeked into the familiar bedroom.  A slow, melancholy song was coming from the CD player on the dresser and Megan's heart broke as she listened to the words being sung and turned to see Rachel curled up on the floor in the corner, sobbing quietly.

Goodbye, my almost lover.
Goodbye, my hopeless dream.
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you.
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do.

Megan awkwardly lowered herself to the floor beside Rachel-her ever expanding middle making the descent a lot more difficult than it should have been-and put her hand on her best friend's shoulder.  Without a word Rachel immediately turned and fell into Megan's arms as the song continued.


I cannot go to the ocean.
I cannot drive the streets at night.
I cannot wake up in the morning
Without you on my mind.
So you're gone and I'm haunted.
And I bet you are just fine.
Did I make it that easy
To walk right in and out of my life?

 This is a depressing song.  Megan thought when the song ended and began again a few seconds later.  No wonder she's bawling her eyes out.  She wondered how long Rachel had been in here crying and how long she'd had this song on repeat.

"I loved him." Rachel finally said quietly.  "Why?" She cried.  "Why did he say those things to me?  How could he hurt me like that?"

"I don't know." Megan replied quietly.  "He had us all fooled, sweetie." 

~~~~~~

"Rachel if you're there, please pick up." JC leaned his forehead against the wall as the phone remained quiet.  He'd spent the last twenty-four hours trying to call her, but to no avail.  She refused to pick up the phone and the only thing he'd accomplished was to fill up her voicemail inbox on her cell phone.  He'd gotten her home number off the internet an hour ago and had already left several messages.  "Rachel?" He asked again, hoping she was there, praying she'd pick up.  "I'm sorry." He said.  "I am so sorr--"

The machine cut him off and he closed his eyes as he clenched his hand around his phone.  "Damn it!" He swore turning and throwing his cell phone across the room.  Luckily it landed on the couch instead of the wall he'd been aiming at.  He really didn't need to deal with having to buy a new cell phone right now.  Turning he pushed his hands through his hair and slid down the wall, his elbows coming to rest on his knees.  "Don't mess this one up, C." Justin's voice from a few weeks ago echoed through his head.  "You'll regret it."  He reached up and wiped away the tear that had fallen down his cheek.  He looked at the moisture on his finger as if he didn't know what it was. 

It had been a long time since he'd cried about something and an even longer time since that something had been a girl.  That's it.  He decided, suddenly standing.  She couldn't hide from him forever.  He knew where she lived and he knew where she worked.  He looked at his watch.  Ten o'clock.  She's gotta be at work.  He thought as he grabbed his car keys.  She's not going to be able to ignore me if I show up at her office.

~~~~~~

"She's not here?" He asked, looking at the receptionist in shock. 

"No, I'm sorry." The girl replied, smiling politely at him. 

"Where is she?" He asked, desperation filling him.

"She didn't come in today."  She answered.

"She left."

He turned at the unfamiliar voice behind him.  He watched as the brunette walked towards him, her curly brown hair and green eyes looked familiar.  "I'm Nicole." She said, smiling and holding out a hand.  "We met at the club a few weeks ago." 

He shook her hand.  "I'm sorry did you say Rachel left?" He asked.  He had no time for small talk with the girl.

"Yeah." Nicole nodded.  "She went home."

"I've been calling her since yesterday and she's not answering.  Are you sure she's at home?"

"No, she went home." Nicole repeated.  "To Phoenix." She clarified.

"Phoenix?" He asked, confused.  Nicole nodded.  "Do you...is she coming back?" He asked.  Nicole shrugged her shoulders.

"I think so, but I don't know when.  Her grandmother died over the weekend."

JC hung his head as he leaned against the front desk.  Her grandmother had died?  On top of everything, her grandmother had died?!  He felt like such a scumbag.  On top of acting like a spoiled brat and taking out all his insecurities on her-treating her like she meant nothing to him-she then had had to deal with her grandmother dying?

"Erin is taking over her clients right now." Nicole continued as he closed his eyes.  He wanted to cry.  "If it's something about your house you can talk to her.  Do you want me to go get her?"

"No." JC shook his head as he straightened.  "No."  He turned and walked out of the lobby.  So much for showing up at her office and making her listen to him.  How in the world was he going to find her in Phoenix?  Megan.  He thought.  Megan will know where she is. Hell, she's probably at Megan's house.  He pulled his phone from his pocket as he quickly made his way to his car and pulled out of the parking lot. 

"Sarah." He said when his assistant answered.  "I need an address.  Do you think you could look it up for me right now?"

"Sure.  What are you looking for?"

"I need you to look up a Jackson and Megan Taylor in Phoenix."

"Phoenix?" She questioned. 

"Yeah." He answered, getting on the freeway and heading towards LAX. 

"Got it." Sarah said a moment later.  "Ready?"

"No, I'm driving right now.  Can you send me a text?" He asked.

"Sure.  Where are you?"

"I'm going to the airport."

"Why?" She questioned slowly.

"Because I'm an asshole." He admitted.

"You don't need to go to the airport to figure that out." She laughed teasingly.  "I could have just told you."

"I..." he sighed.  "Rachel's not very happy with me right now and I need to fix a couple things."

"Ah." Sarah replied.  "Good luck." She offered.  "I'll send you the address."

"Thanks.  You're a life saver."

Arriving at the airport and pulling into long term parking JC locked his car and sprinted towards the terminal.  He quickly made his way inside the airport and up to the nearest counter, pulling out his wallet and slapping down his credit card as the startled Delta employee looked up at him.

"I need to get to Phoenix." He said.  "When's the next flight?"

"Uh..." The older woman looked at him.  "Just a moment, sir.  Let me check."

She looked down at the screen in front of her and began typing on her keyboard.  JC drummed his fingertips against the counter impatiently.  "Look, I'm really in a hurry." He said.  "I don't care what airline.  I don't care how much it is.  I just need to be on the next flight."

"I understand, sir.  I'm looking." She assured him patiently.  She continued typing for a few more seconds and he felt like screaming.  "Alright.  It looks like the next available flight is with United and it leaves..." she began typing again, "At twelve-thirty."

"Book it." He said.

"Do you have a seat preference?" She asked. 

"No." He replied feeling irritated.  Normally he would have been impressed with her calm demeanor-the way she was able to remain pleasant with an annoying customer but that was the last thing on his mind right now.  Hurry up! He wanted to shout at her.  He looked at his watch as she began typing again and reached for the credit card he'd laid on the counter.  He had just enough time to get through the ridiculous line at security and run to his gate. 

"Alright..." The lady said pushing one more button and handing his credit card back to him.  He put it back in his wallet and jammed the whole thing into its place in his back pocket.  "The flight is boarding at gate E-12." She said, stapling the ticket that had printed out to his boarding pass.

"Thank you." He said, grabbing the ticket from her before she'd had a chance to really hand it to him, and ran towards the security check point. 

~~~~~~

Megan stood at the sink peeling potatoes as her anger bubbled inside.  How dare he!  She thought.  How dare he think he can just walk in to her life and use her like that!  Her grip tightened on the slippery potato in her hand as she ran it under the water and set it on the counter by the others she was preparing for dinner.  She shut off the water and grabbed a knife from the drawer.  She began chopping the potatoes into little pieces so she could cook them in the water she had heating.  If he were here I'd...she stabbed one violently and growled out loud, though no one was there to hear her.  The baby moved however, in response to her agitated state and she took a few deep breaths as she tried to calm down.  Getting mad wouldn't do anything beyond making her even more upset and distressing the baby. 

"He's such an ass!" She exclaimed.

"What did I do this time?" Jackson asked with a teasing grin as he walked in right then.

"Huh?" Megan turned around in surprise.  "What?"

"Who's an ass?" He asked, loosening his tie as he walked towards her.  He kissed her quickly and rubbed his hand across her belly. 

"JC." Megan answered, returning to the potatoes. 

"No.  Jackson." He reminded her with a chuckle.

"What?" She looked at him in confusion. 

"My name is Jackson." He said.

"I know who you are, idiot."

"What's going on?" Jackson asked with a roll of his eyes.

"Rachel's here."

"Rachel's here?" He repeated in confusion. 

"Yeah." Megan answered.

"Here as in, here in Phoenix or here as in, here at the house?" He took a step back towards the front room, thinking he'd somehow missed seeing Rachel on the couch or something.

"Here as in, here in town." Megan replied, dumping the rest of the potato pieces into the now boiling water and returning to the sink to rinse her hands off.  "She's staying at her dad's house for a few days."

"What does this have to do with JC?" Jackson asked, rolling up the sleeves of his dark blue dress shirt and washing his hands before helping her with dinner. 

"She's here because JC's an asshole." Megan repeated vehemently.

He lifted a curious brow as he looked at his wife.  "Why don't you start at the beginning, babe." He said, gingerly taking the knife from her as he saw the fury in her eyes.  

~~~~~~

JC took a deep breath and raised a slightly shaking hand, quickly knocking on the door in front of him.  He took a step back and shoved his hands in his pockets as he waited.  He heard someone inside fumbling with the lock and his heart leapt.  Please let her be here. He found himself praying. 

"You have got to be kidding me!  What the hell are you doing here?"

He winced at the venom in her voice as his blue eyes connected with an angry set of hazel eyes.  "Megan."  He said.

"You've got some nerve, buddy.  Who the hell do you think you are?  You better leave before I call the cops.  I don't care who you are.  I'll do it."

And with that she slammed the door in his face.  JC stood there, not really surprised at her outburst.  With as close as Rachel had told him the girls were he knew Megan had been told what had happened Saturday night, but he couldn't give up.  He had to talk to Rachel and Megan was his only connection to her.  He raised his fist again and knocked once more.  "Listen, Megan." He said as the door opened.  "I know you hate me, and I don't blame you but I...oh, hey Jackson." JC said when the person behind the door showed themselves.  He took a quick step back as Jackson stepped out on the front porch, his blue eyes blazing.  JC held up his hands in surrender as panic shot through him.  He still vividly recalled Jackson's threat from last month-which was why he'd come to the house hoping to just catch Megan at home as opposed to calling the guy up and getting Rachel's contact information.  "I--"

"I warned you." Jackson said calmly, belying the fire in his eyes and the fist clenched at his side.  He softly closed the door behind him and JC took another step back-suddenly grateful they had a nice big front porch.

"Listen," JC said, "I know Megan's probably told you what happened, but I didn't--" 

Jackson's fist cut him off.  JC stumbled back at the blow and raised the back of his hand to his bottom lip.  Lowering his hand he looked at the blood he'd wiped off then looked back at Jackson. 

"I deserved that." He conceded, as he once more brought his hand to his mouth, and wiped away some more blood.  "But you don't understand.  This has just been a big misunderstanding."

"Did you offer to pay Rachel to sleep with you?"

"Yes." JC answered hesitantly, keeping a close watch on the other guy's hands still clenched at his sides.  "But I didn't--"

"Then I think we're clear on what happened." Jackson said.  "You've got about two seconds to get off my property before I call the cops." He said turning and placing his hand on the doorknob.

"Wait." JC said, feeling desperate.  "Please, you don't understand.  I need to see Rachel.  I need to talk to her.  I need to explain what happened."

"And what happened, JC?" He asked turning and folding his arms across his chest. 

"I got drunk." JC said.  "I was feeling sorry for myself and I said some things I shouldn't have.  But I didn't mean them.  I need to apologize but I can't do that because I don't know where she is and she won't answer her phone.  I...ugh!" He growled in frustration.  "I need to see her.  Please." He looked at Jackson.  "I love her." He added quietly.

~~~~~~

"What the hell is he still doing here?" Megan exclaimed as Jackson came back into the house a few minutes later-JC close behind him.  The penitent look in JC's eyes did nothing to cool Megan's anger, if anything it just fanned it more. 

"Megan, calm down." Jackson said, calmly.  "Think of the baby."

"Oh, the baby is the least of my worries right now." She fumed.

"He says it's all been a misunderstanding and I...I believe him."

"Of course you do." Megan rolled her eyes.  Why do guys always have to stick together?

"Remember our little misunderstanding a few years ago?" Jackson asked.

Megan narrowed her eyes at her husband then turned her attention back to JC.  "What the hell is your problem?" She asked, pointing a finger at him as she walked towards him.  At any other time she would have been ecstatic that the one and only JC Chasez was standing in her living room, but right now the only thing Megan wanted to do was beat him up.  "Do you have any idea what you've done?  I have worked too long and too hard to keep her alive to have some spoiled, washed up, arrogant pop star waltz in and ruin everything!"

"Megan." Jackson said, stepping between his wife and the source of her anger. 

"Jackson, you better back off or so help me..." She left the threat open and he put his hands up in surrender as he stepped away.

"Do you realize what you've done?" Megan asked, coming to stand in front of JC.  "Do you have idea how much pain you've caused her?  What you're putting her through because of your selfish actions?"

"Look," JC said.  "What happened on Saturday shouldn't have happened.  But it did and I'm trying to apologize to her but I can't find her.  I've been calling and leaving messages for two days now."

"You don't get it, do you?" Megan asked, folding her arms across her chest as she looked at him in amazement.  He had no idea what was really going on-the pain Rachel was going through right now.  You didn't tell him, did you Ray? She thought.   

"Get what?" He asked in confusion.  "What don't I get?"

"The reason Rachel left." Megan answered as she squared her shoulders.  He just stood there looking at her blankly.

"She left because I was an idiot and said a lot of things I shouldn't have."

"She left," Megan said taking another step towards him as he took a step back, "Because everyone she has let into her life and into her heart has hurt her.  She's learned that with love comes pain and she can't take anymore.  Rachel puts up a strong, sassy, independent front but inside she's scared, and hurt.  She's seeking for love and acceptance so badly that she keeps getting herself into situations where she just ends up getting hurt even more." JC winced and Megan watched as he sank down on the couch, his blue eyes full of regret.  He sat there with his head bowed as she continued.  "She's such an amazing person.  If you knew what she's been though...and somehow, despite everything, she still has the ability to smile everyday.  But..." Megan shook her head and fought back tears.  "I have never-never-seen her like she was today."  JC looked up at her, his own eyes looking suspiciously wet.  "Whether you deserved it or not she trusted you-which is a huge thing for her-and all you did was throw it back in her face and knock her down again.  She's been knocked down so many times that I'm not sure she has the strength to get back up again."

JC hung his head and Megan heard him sniff a few times before he looked back up at her.  "What happened?  What has she been through?"

"That's not my story to tell." Megan answered.

"Will you tell me where she is?" He asked, his eyes pleading with her.  "Please.  I need to see her to tell her how sorry I am.  I need to look her in the eyes and apologize for what I did."  Megan folded her arms as she stood looking at him for a moment then she turned and walked into the kitchen.  Grabbing a post it note from by the phone she quickly jotted down Rachel's dad's address then walked back into the front room. 

"She's staying at her dad's house." She said, handing him the sticky note.  "I wouldn't advise going by tonight."

"Why?" He asked, standing.

"Because her dad might kill you." Megan answered matter of factly.  He nodded then turned towards the door.  Reaching for the door knob he stopped.

"For what it's worth." He said quietly, turning back to look at her.  "I know she's amazing.  She's incredible and I...I love her."

Megan raised one brow as she stood looking at him.  "You're going to have a hell of a time convincing her of that after what you've done."

Chapter End Notes:
The song Rachel is listening to is "Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy.  Great song, but it makes me cry everytime I listen to it.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc