Author's Chapter Notes:

Because I'm nice, and because it's the Holiday Season, and because I knew you guys would kill me for posting three cliff-hangers in a row...I decided to post TWO chapters tonight :)

 

Rachel wanted to die.

She wanted to crawl into a hole and die. 

Please just let me die.  She prayed as she quickly pulled the sheet up to cover her while JC and Justin stood looking at her.  When she'd gotten to his hotel room Rachel had quickly changed--not knowing when he'd be coming back--into JC's favorite piece of lingerie then sat on the bed to wait for him.  How was she to know he wouldn't be alone when he came back to his room?  She hadn't even known Justin was in New York and it took him all of three seconds before the younger man broke into a fit of giggles and all but collapsed on the floor.  Rachel knew her face was burning as she looked over at JC who stood staring at her, mouth open in shock.  With her boyfriend rendered speechless and Justin Timberlake laughing hysterically at her, Rachel groaned as she slid down and pulled the covers over her head, praying that this was all some sort of hideous nightmare. 

It's just a dream.  She told herself, hoping that repeating the words would make it into a reality.  It's just a dream.  It's just a dream.  It's just a...Rachel felt the bed move as one of the guys sat down on the mattress and her heart began to pound.  She recognized his voice as soon as he spoke.

"Hey baby," Justin giggled as he put his hand on her hip and Rachel groaned again.  "You're in the wrong room.  I'm down in--"

"That's enough." Rachel heard JC say and the mattress shifted again beside her as Justin stood.  "Go use your charm on someone else."

"Hey!" Justin exclaimed still laughing.  "I wasn't done--"

"Yes you were." JC told him.  "And don't come back."

Rachel heard the door close and peeked her head above the covers.  "Is he gone?" She asked.

"Yeah." JC responded, coming back into the room.  

"I'm so humiliated!" Rachel said, putting her hands up to her face.  "Why didn't you tell me Justin was going to be with you?" She looked back up at JC.

"I would have if I'd known you were going to be here." He replied the corners of his mouth twitching up.

"Go ahead." Rachel said, finally getting up and standing beside the bed.  "Laugh it up."

He let out a laugh.  "Why are you here?" He asked.

"I wanted to surprise you." She replied as she put her robe on.  She finished tying the belt around her and turned to look at him.

"Mission accomplished." He told her.

"Ha, ha." Rachel rolled her eyes.  "He's never going to let me live this down, is he?" She asked.

"Nope." JC shook his head, his blue eyes sparkling. 

"Great." She replied sarcastically.  "That's just what I need."

"Ah, lighten up, Sass." He told her, coming up and wrapping his arms around her from behind.  Rachel sighed as he rested his chin on her shoulder.  "It doesn't matter what he thinks."

"No?" She asked.

"Nope."

"What does matter?" She asked, turning in his arms and looking up at him.

"What I think."

"And what do you think?" She inquired.

"I think I want to come back to my hotel room and find you waiting for me more often." He grinned.  "What are you doing here?" He asked again.

"I told you.  We need to talk.  It's not something I can do over the phone and I couldn't wait for you to get home."

"You flew all the way to New York just to talk?" He looked at her in surprise.  Rachel nodded.  "Wow." He lifted his brows in surprise.  "I don't know what to say."  He replied.  He put a hand to her face, his thumb softly stroking her cheek.  Rachel put her hand over his and leaned into his touch, closing her eyes for a moment as she gathered her courage then, taking a deep breath; she took a step back.

~~~~~  

JC reluctantly let Rachel go as she took a few steps away from him.  He sat down on the bed and watched her, smiling when he recalled her horrified expression from a few moment ago.  She had looked so damn adorable sitting there with the sheet pulled up to her chin and her face turning bright red that he'd just wanted to crawl up on the bed beside her and kiss her senseless.  The fact that she'd flown all the way to New York just so they could talk...He shook his head as he felt his anger towards her dissipating.  He watched as she nervously began twisting the end of the belt around her waist and stood.  Grabbing her hands he looked down at her.  "Just tell me." He said.  "If we can't be honest with each other, after everything we've been through..." he shook his head.  "What's going on, Sass?" He asked her, putting a hand to her face.  "Why did you pull away from me last night?"

"Because I felt guilty." She told him and his brow immediately furrowed. 

"Guilty?" He replied.  "About what?"

"About what happened at the party at work last night." She answered, looking up at him.  She began worrying her bottom lip with her teeth and he began to be concerned.  He didn't like the direction this conversation was taking.

"Do I want to know what happened?" He asked taking a step back.

"Nothing happened!" She rushed to assure him.  "At least not what you're thinking."

"How do you know what I'm thinking?" He asked.  He wasn't even sure what he was thinking.  The possibilities were just too endless and...painful to contemplate--he couldn't bring himself to do it.

Rachel took a deep breath then released it.  "Rob has...Rob has been making some unwanted advances towards me at work." She finally choked out.  JC felt his anger flair again and fisted his hands at his sides.  He wanted nothing more than to track the guy down and beat the hell out of him.

"What has he done?" He ground out through clenched teeth.

"Nothing really.  It's just the way he makes me feel." Rachel told him.  "I...he's always watching me and...touching me in little ways."

"Touching you?" JC asked.  "Touching you how?"

"On the hand or on my back.  Last night at the party he hugged me."

"What kind of hug was it?" He asked raising a brow.

"A long one." She admitted sheepishly.

"Have you said anything?" He asked.  Rachel shook her head and looked at him with frightened eyes.

"I figured we were only working together on the one project so I could put up with it for a little while until--"

"You shouldn't have to ‘put up with it' at all, Rachel!" JC exclaimed.  She shrunk back from him and he sighed, trying to cool his temper.  He stepped up to her and wrapped his arms around her, tucking her head beneath his chin as he held her. "I'm sorry." He said.  "I just...the thought of him touching you just makes me kind of crazy."  He pulled back and looked down at her.  "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I didn't know what to say." She admitted.  "Oh by the way, Jace, my boss accidentally brushed my arm today at work?"

"It wasn't accidental." He replied.

"How do you know?" She asked.  "Maybe it is.  Maybe he's just a really friendly, somewhat overly touchy guy?"

JC looked down at her in disbelief.  "You don't really believe that, do you?" He asked.

"No." She replied quietly. 

"You need to tell someone." He said.

"I told you."

"Someone at work." He replied patiently.  "Someone with the power and authority to make him stop."

"I don't want to get him fired." She said. 

"What?" JC asked taken back.

"He's great at what he does.  He's good for the company.  Just because he can't take a hint doesn't mean he should be fired." Rachel replied.  "Besides, I don't want people knowing and...looking at me.  Judging me."

"You can't go through life basing everything you do off of what other people may think of you." He told her. 

"I know." Rachel replied.  "But it's not that easy."

"What does Megan say?" He asked.

"Huh?" Rachel looked at him in surprised.  "How did you..."

He lifted one brow.  "How long have we been together, Sass?  You tell Megan everything.  Ten to one you've already told her all about this.  What does she say?"

Rachel looked down guiltily.  "She said I needed to tell you then tell someone at work."  He looked at her trying to fight the disappointment that filled him.  He knew Rachel and Megan's relationship extended far beyond their own; but the fact that she had confided in Megan before him about this hurt.  She still didn't trust him and he didn't know how to fix that.

"So are you?" He asked. 

"I don't know if I can." She replied. 

"Yes you can." He stated firmly.  "Not only that but you need to." He continued.  "Rachel, he needs to know that this isn't okay and obviously whatever it is you've been doing on your own isn't working.  It's time to take it to the next level."

"But he's the Vice President of the company, JC!" Rachel exclaimed.  "Everyone will know."

"So?  He's a manipulating son of a bitch.  Everyone should know what he's all about.  Someone like him doesn't deserve to be running a company."

"But what if--"

"No more buts." JC said, covering her mouth with his hand.  "You're not alone.  I'll be there.  You need to do this Rachel, for your sake and mine."

"Yours?" She questioned.

"When you pull away from me like that, with no explanation, my imagination runs away with me.  I can't handle thinking your getting ready to tell me goodbye."

"But I'm not--"

"I know." He interrupted her again.  "Logically I know you love me but...Rachel this is going to sound completely crazy and I give you full permission to laugh at me if you want to but..." He paused.  He couldn't believe he was really going to tell her this.  "I feel like you're my soul mate." He told her.  "You're my other half.  I'm not complete without you.  I love you so much that it hurts sometimes and thinking, even for a second, that you might leave...I don't think I'd survive if you left.  I know I wouldn't survive."

Rachel wound her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his.  He quickly took charge of the kiss.  He put one arm around her waist--securing her against him tightly--while his other hand moved up, his fingers tangling in her hair.  He kissed her deeply, pouring all of the love he felt for her into it.  She gripped him tightly and let out a soft moan as his tongue danced with hers.  Oh, how he loved this woman!  How had he lived before her?  How had he ever thought he was complete before?  His heart felt like it was about to burst from his chest as he deepened the kiss.  When she pulled back, gasping for air, he couldn't tear his mouth away from her.  His lips burned a slow trail down her neck as she dug her fingers into his hair, holding him against her. 

"I love you." He vowed, worshipping her skin.  "Do you have any idea how much I love you?" He pulled back and looked at her, his eyes delving into hers.  He brought his hand forward and brushed his fingertips across her cheek. 

"Why me?" Rachel asked as a tear escaped and rolled down her cheek.

"Because you're beautiful and sassy and absolutely perfect for me." He replied.  "God put you in my life for a reason, Rachel, and who am I to argue with the big guy?" He smiled.  She laughed as she went up on her toes and hugged him.  After a few moments she pulled back and stepped out of his arms.  As she moved to walk past him he stopped her.  "Where are you going?" He asked.

"The bathroom." She replied wiping the remaining tears from her face.  "I need to blow my nose, is that okay?"

"As long as you come back and we can start over." He smirked, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously. 

"Start over?" She replied, looking at him quizzically.  "What do you mean?"

"I'm going to go out and come back in and you're going to get back up on that bed like you were.  Only this time, Justin isn't going to be coming in with me."

She laughed.  "Deal." She replied.  "But give me a couple minutes."

~~~~~

Rachel heard JC shut the door and her stomach quivered in anticipation.  Quickly she blew her nose and splashed some cold water on her face.  Then, running her fingers through her hair and spritzing on some more of the perfume she knew JC loved she shimmied out of the robe she was wearing, arranged herself on the bed and waited for him to come back in.  She heard the door open and tried her hardest to give him her best sultry look as he rounded the corner and came to stand in front of the bed. 

"Now that's what I'm talking about." He replied, pulling his T-shirt off and crawling up on the bed next to her.  Rachel giggled as he attacked her neck.  "How'd you know where I was staying?" He asked.  "And how'd you get a key to my room?" He pulled back and looked down at her.

"Sarah." She replied reaching up and running her fingers through his hair.  "I had her call and arrange for me to pick up a key at the front desk."

"Hmmm." He hummed, lowering his head to resume his kissing.  Rachel giggled as he found a ticklish spot and hit his shoulder playfully as she squirmed beneath him.

"Mmm...Clarence!" She moaned and his lips immediately stilled.  Rachel bit her bottom lip as she waited for his reaction.

"Okay, seriously?" He asked pulling back once more to look at her, one eyebrow raised.

"What?" Rachel asked innocently.  "That is your name this weekend, isn't it?"

"You do realize you just killed the mood, right?" He asked, rolling over on his back beside her.

Rachel began laughing in earnest now and rolled over, propping herself up on one elbow as she looked at him.  "Do you remember any of your lines?"

"What?!" He looked over at her.

"Do you remember any of your lines?" Rachel repeated through her giggling. 

"No, I do not remember any of my lines!" He exclaimed sitting up.

"Can you do that funny little accent you did as Wipeout for me?"

"No." He replied folding his arms across his chest.

"Awe..." She pouted.  "Not even one little ‘woah'?"

He looked at her in disgust.  "Do you know how long ago that was?  I was fifteen!  This little junior high fantasy," he said moving his finger back and forth between them, "is over."

"Um, I hate to break it to you honey but you were not my junior high fantasy." Rachel fell back against the pillows as she continued laughing.

"Excuse me?" JC asked incredulously.  "Who was your junior high fantasy?" He asked now clearly intrigued.

Rachel looked at him then let out a laugh.  "Okay, you can't judge me for what I'm about to tell you." She said pointing a finger at him.  "But I had a huge thing for Luke Skywalker when I was younger." She ducked her head.  "Almost to the point of obsession."

JC looked at her for a second as if not comprehending what she'd just told him.  "What?"  He finally exclaimed.  "Luke Skywalker?  Seriously?!"

"Seriously." Rachel admitted.  "I was kind of nerd in junior high and high school." JC quirked an eyebrow up.

"I think everyone liked Star Wars." He said.  "I had the action figures when I was a kid."

Rachel pulled back as she looked at him.  "Did you think Luke was cute?  Did you watch the movies to the point of wearing them out completely?  Did you read all the books that were written and know everything that happens with each of the characters--where they all end up and what their children's names are?"

JC burst into laughter and fell back on the bed beside her.  "I never would have pegged you as a Star Wars geek, Sass." He finally said. 

"I know." She shrugged.  "It's not something a whole lot of people know about me--with good reason.  Who did you have a crush on at fifteen?" She asked, curious.

"I don't remember." He said but Rachel saw a hint of something in his eyes.

"Who was it?" She asked rolling over, positioning herself on his chest as she looked down at him.  She watched as his cheeks warmed slightly and grinned wickedly.  "Come on." She said.  "I told you mine."

JC narrowed his eyes then let out a breath.  "Fine." He said.  "Jasmine." He finally admitted and Rachel erupted into a fit of giggles. 

"From Aladdin?  Oh that's priceless!" She said, rolling off of him.  She looked over at him as he propped himself up on one elbow beside her and laughed even harder.  "Why Jasmine?" She finally asked.

"I don't know." He shrugged his shoulder.  "She was seductive and spunky and well proportioned?"  Again Rachel began laughing.

"She was a cartoon!"

"Yes, and you were in love with a Jedi so let's not be judgin'."

"Hmmm..." Rachel said weighing her hands in front of her.  "Slutty cartoon character or heroic Jedi knight?  I think I win."  She said with a triumphant giggle.  JC groaned and she let out a squeal when he suddenly pounced on top of her.  "You think that's funny?" He asked.

"Yes." She managed to say though her laughter.  "Oh, my stomach hurts." She groaned as she curled up on her side.  "Too much laughing."

"Ha!  Serves you right for making fun of me." He said, pressing up against her back as he put his arm around her and molded himself to her body. 

"But you make it so easy." She replied.  He said nothing and Rachel shivered as he pressed his lips to the spot below her ear then to her tattoo.  She sighed as she felt him rest his forehead against the back of her head.

"Josh?" She asked.

"Yeah?"

"Tell me everything's going to be okay." She implored him.

"Everything's going to be okay, Sass." He promised her as he tightened his arm around her, pulling her back snuggly against him.  "I'm right here." 

~~~~~~

Rachel followed JC into the auditorium the next morning.  Looking around she remembered back to all the dance recitals and competitions she'd been a part of before her injury and a part of her yearned to be back up on that stage performing.  JC let her walk in front of him down the row of folding chairs that had been set up near the back of the hall and Rachel picked a spot about halfway down. 

"How many groups are coming today?" She asked. 

"I don't know." He answered honestly.  "I guess we'll keep auditioning until we find something we like."

"Who's that?" Rachel asked pointing at the three men standing up by the stage.  "Is that Marcus?"

"Yeah." JC said, waving at his manager as the man turned and spotted them.  "The one in the black jacket is the choreographer I'm going to be working with and the other guy is the tour manager."

"Are you excited?" Rachel asked him.  "Going back out on tour?  It's been a while."

"Yeah." He replied.  "I love performing; being up on stage.  I honestly didn't think I'd ever get the chance to do it again like this, but now that everything's coming together I can't wait." He grinned excitedly and Rachel smiled back at him.

"Well hello."

Rachel turned as Justin slid into the seat next to her and felt her cheeks instantly warm at the teasing glint in his eyes.  Here we go. She thought.  She knew he wasn't going to let her live down what had happened last night but she was determined not to let him get to her.  

"I dreamt about you last night."  He told her and Rachel looked at him in shock.

"What?" She exclaimed, a little too loudly.  The other people in the auditorium turned to look at her and she sunk down in her chair a little, certain her face was bright red.

"I must say you looked hot last night in that little black number, but just for the record my favorite color is baby blue." Justin told her matter of factly.  Rachel's jaw dropped as she looked at him.

"Okay, this is not going to work." JC said, suddenly putting his hands on Rachel's arms and pulling her up and out of her chair.  He slid into her seat next to Justin as he sat her down in the seat he had been occupying. 

"What gives, C?" Justin asked.  "We were just talking."

"Don't talk to me right now." JC said, not even looking at his friend.  Rachel laughed at Justin's hurt expression.

"Hey Rachel?" Justin said whispering loudly as he leaned back in his chair.  She looked over at him.

"What?" She asked trying hard not to laugh.

"Baby blue."  He reminded her as the first group came out on stage.  "Ow!" He exclaimed his seat coming back down to the floor as JC slapped his chest with the back of his hand.

"Shh!" The choreographer and tour manager turned around in their seats a few rows ahead of them. 

"Hey Justin!" Rachel said, mimicking his stage whisper from earlier as she leaned back in her chair as he had done. 

"Yeah?" He asked leaning back and looking at her expectantly. 

"Only in your dreams." She told him.

"That's right, baby." He winked at her and Rachel rolled her eyes.

"Listen, Timberlake." JC said looking at Justin.  "She may be in your dreams but she's in my bed, you got that?"

"Yeah I got it." Justin replied.  "And that's why I envy you." He said.  JC shook his head and Rachel smiled as she grabbed JC's hand, her fingers threading with his.  She gave his hand a squeeze then turned to watch the group that was trying out.

As the morning wore on Rachel offered her critique of the dancers and told JC which ones she thought would do well.  As the choreographer got up on stage and demonstrated a few of the moves he wanted the dancers to follow she found herself mentally going through the steps in her head.  She could see herself up on the stage and it hurt that she'd never get to experience what these kids were going to. 

"You want to try out?" JC asked her, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"What?" Rachel asked, turning to look at him.

He smiled.  "You want to get up there and try out the moves don't you?" He asked. 

"Can you blame me?" She asked.  He shook his head.  "I would have killed for an opportunity like this." She told him.  "To be able to get up on stage and perform every night?" She shook her head.  "It would have been incredible."

"Why don't you quit your job and come on tour with me?" He replied.

"What?" She chuckled.  "Are you crazy?  Do you know how long it's been since I've danced like that?" She pointed at the group currently going through the steps they'd been shown.

"Do you know how long it's been since I've danced like that?" He asked her with a smile.  "It's like riding a bike." He assured her. 

"Yeah, except this bike threw me off and ruined my knee." She said, lifting the leg of her pants showing him her scar.  "Remember?"

"How long has it been?" He asked. 

"Seven years." Rachel reminded him. 

"Aren't you itching to get back up there?" He asked.

"You're not making this any easier." She told him. 

"Give it a try." He offered.  "What can it hurt?"

"My knee." She replied.  "And I'm not going through that again.  I'm not a dancer anymore, Jace." She told him.  "I've moved on."

"It's in your blood, Sass." He told her.  "Like me.  Aren't you even the tiniest bit curious about whether or not you can do it?" He asked gesturing at the stage with his head. 

Rachel turned and looked longingly at the stage.  "No." She told him.

"Liar." He replied.  She looked at him sharply.  "I can see it in your eyes." He told her. 

"It doesn't matter what I want." Rachel told him.  "Even if I hadn't injured my knee, there's no way you would have picked me to be one of the dancers on the tour." She told him.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because without me you wouldn't even be going on tour right now." She smirked.  JC chuckled as he put his arm around her shoulder. 

"How very true." He replied.

"Oh, you two are so adorable it makes me sick." Justin replied coming to sit down next to them again after having left to answer a call he'd gotten on his cell phone.

"Shut up." Rachel and JC said together.  They looked at each other then laughed.

"See what I mean?" Justin asked.  "Sickening." He shook his head.

"You wait." Rachel told him.  "One of these days you're going to meet a girl who's going to turn your whole world upside down and you're going to find yourself right in the middle of a sickeningly sweet relationship and loving every second of it."

"Oh yeah?" He asked.  "And then what?"

"And then I'm going to laugh and say I told you so." Rachel informed him.  "You just wait." She pointed a finger at him.  "You're time is coming."

~~~~~~

"Can I ask you something?" Rachel asked JC as they strolled hand in hand through Central Park later that afternoon.

"You just did." He replied with a grin and a wink.  Rachel smiled and bumped him with her hip.

"Smart ass." She told him.  He chuckled.

"What's on your mind?" He asked.

"Are you and the guys getting back together?" She asked.

"What?" He asked looking down at her.

"You heard me." She replied.  He remained quiet as she continued.  "Last night I heard Justin saying something about girls coming when they heard what was about to happen with you guys."  She stopped walking and stood in front of him.  "Are you guys getting back together?" She asked again looking him in the eyes.

JC contemplated his answer for a moment.  He wanted to tell her but knew he shouldn't.  They'd all sworn each other to secrecy when they'd decided they were going to do this, but as he looked into her persuasive brown eyes he found himself blurting out the truth. 

"Yes." He told her.  "But you can't say anything." He added quickly when she let out an excited squeal. "Even to Justin.  If they find out I told you..." He trailed off with a shake of his head.

"Really?" She asked.  "You guys are really getting back together?"

"We never really broke up." He replied with a chuckle.

"I know." She said.  "But it's been eight years!"

JC smiled at her excitement.  "Yeah, we're really getting back together.  Chris and Lance have almost spilled the beans and few times."  He told her as they began walking again.  "We were afraid our cover had been blown but luckily the rumors died pretty quickly."

"When?" Rachel asked.

"When I'm done with this tour." He told her.  "Probably the beginning of next year."

"I knew it!" She exclaimed, her eyes dancing.  "I told you I'd figure out what was going on."

"Yeah well, it's kind of hard to not figure it out when everyone keeps running their mouths."

"This is fantastic!" She replied with a huge smile.

"You won't think it's so great when it means I'm going to be gone even more than I am now."  He told her.  Rachel looked over at him, her smile fading.

"I'll miss you, yes." She told him.  "But this is who you are, Jace.  You're a musician.  Touring is what you do.  I know this."

He leaned down and kissed her quickly but what started out as a peck soon developed into a deeper kiss and he was thankful they were in a more secluded part of the park.  JC let go of her hand and put both hands on her face as he slanted his mouth against hers.  Rachel hooked her fingers through the belt loops on his pants and tugged him closer.  JC smiled against her lips as he opened his eyes and looked at her. 

"I don't want to go back home." Rachel confided with a sigh.  Finally she opened her eyes and looked at him.  JC stroked his thumbs across her cheekbones.

"Come on." He said lowering his arms.  "I've got a surprise for you."

Rachel pulled back.  "You know I don't like surprises." She looked at him skeptically.

"I know." He smiled secretively as he took her hand.  Rachel turned and allowed him to lead the way to wherever it was he was taking her.  After a minute she let go of his hand and put her arm around his waist.  JC put his arm around her shoulders and tucked her up against him as they continued walking in silence--both content in just being with the other.  Rachel lifted her eyes admiring the way the late afternoon sun filtered through the leaves and branches of the enormous trees surrounding them.

"Kind of hard to believe we're smack dab in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the world, huh?"  JC asked finally breaking the silence between them.

"I was just thinking that." Rachel replied.

"You've never been here, right?" He asked.

"To the park?" She asked.  He nodded.  "Nope." She shook her head.  "I've only been to New York twice before this.  Once with Megan to see you and the guys in concert and the other back in February with you.  Megan and I never made it here."

"Why not?" He asked.

"We were only here for a grand total of thirty-six hours.  We flew in, saw the concert, went back to the hotel then spent the next day shopping.  Walking around Central Park really wasn't high on our list of priorities at the time."

JC chuckled.  He nudged her to the left when they came to a fork in the path.  "This way." He said.

"I'm glad you know where we're going." Rachel told him.  "Because I am completely lost."

"That's all part of my plan." He grinned wickedly and she laughed.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked.

"Don't worry about that." He replied.  Rachel playfully pinched his side.  "Watch it, Sass." He said.  She looked up at him and stuck her tongue out at him.  "Is that an invitation?" He asked.

She looked at him.  "Invitation?" She asked as if she had no idea what he was talking about.  "What are you talking about?"

"Don't tease me." He warned.  Rachel watched him for a moment then grinned as she stuck her tongue out again.  JC's arm tightened around her shoulders as he pulled her towards him and captured her mouth dipping her backwards dramatically.  His tongue danced with hers for several heated moments until, placing her upright gain, Rachel pulled back.

"Whew." She said taking a deep breath. "Okay, enough teasing.  Let's get this surprise over with."

"A bit anxious are we?" He chuckled.

"No, not at all." Rachel replied flippantly.  "Why would I be anxious?"

He laughed and she slipped her hand into his back pocket as they continued along the path.  The sun had set and the woods around them began to darken as dusk gave way to night.  A slight breeze ruffled the leaves above them and Rachel was glad she'd worn a sweater as the temperature dropped a bit. 

As they came around the next bend Rachel could see a lot of light coming through the foliage and soon a large building came into view.  Tavern on the Green the sign above the restaurant read and she looked at JC in question.  He avoided looking at her and instead dropped his arms from her shoulders.  Taking her hand he led her to the open front entrance.

"How can I help you?" The hostess at the door asked, smiling pleasantly.

"I called earlier and made a reservation." JC said.

"Of course.  Your name?" The girl asked looking down at the notebook in front of her.

"Adams." JC replied.  Rachel had to bite back a chuckle as he turned and winked at her, a small smile on his lips.

"Right this way, Mr. and Mrs. Adams." She said and Rachel felt a tingle shoot down her spine at the title she'd just been given.  Hmmm...She thought to herself.  Mrs. Adams.  Has a nice ring to it.  She smiled at the thought of being married to ‘Mr. Adams' and gave his hand an affectionate squeeze.  The girl led them into one of the six dining rooms the restaurant had and back to a secluded corner table.  JC held Rachel's chair out for her then sat down across from her as they were handed their menus.

"Your server will be right with you." She told them.

"Thank you." JC smiled at the girl.  "So?" He asked.

"It's incredible!" Rachel breathed as she took in their surroundings.  She didn't know where to look first.  Between the lush, dark green velvet upholstered chairs, to the elegant crystal chandeliers that hung overhead to the rich honeyed tones of the wooden rafters and beams...she was in awe over everything.  JC smiled as he took her hand across the table and brought it to his lips.  He lowered their hands back to the table but didn't release hers as he opened his menu and began perusing.

"Have you been here before?" She asked, following his lead and looking at her menu.

"Nope." He shook his head.  "But I've heard everything is really good.  They've supposedly got this cheesecake that is to die for." He informed her.

"Ooh, sign me up for that." Rachel replied with a grin.  JC chuckled.

Their server soon appeared and introduced himself and after JC ordered a bottle of merlot he left them to decide on their entrees. 

"What are you thinking?" JC asked.

"Mmm..." Rachel hummed.  "I can't decide between the Sage Parmesan Crusted Chicken and the Grilled Double Pork Chop." She told him.

"Why don't you get one and I'll get the other" He suggested.

"Okay." She smiled as she closed her menu.  When their server appeared a few moments later they ordered and then were left to enjoy each others company as their food was prepared.  JC, still holding her left hand, began fingering her ring as they talked.  Rachel smiled as she took a sip of her wine-her eyes settling on two girls sitting a few table away from them.  She watched in curiosity as they girls kept looking over at them then whispered excitedly to each other.  Finally one of them--a cute brunette with shoulder length hair and hazel eyes--stood up and, grabbing her friend by the hand, approached their table.

"Excuse me." She said coming to stand next to them.  "You're JC Chasez, aren't you?" She asked.

"Yeah." JC smiled. 

"I don't mean to interrupt your guys' dinner, but..." she looked at her friend.  "Could we get your autograph?"

"Sure." He replied taking the piece of paper and pen the girl held out to him.  Rachel watched as the girls, who appeared close to her own age, looked at each other excitedly.

"What's your name?" JC asked.

"Cheryl." She replied.  "And this is my friend, Kristy." She said pointing to the taller blond beside her who pulled a CD from her purse and handed it to JC.  "We're big fans."

"We bought your CD and listen to it all the time." Kristy said.

"I think you're the only ones who did." JC teased.

"Oh, we loved it!" Both girls exclaimed together.

"Good." JC laughed.  "There you go." He said handing the girls back their things. 

"Can we get a picture?" Kristy asked as she once more reached into her bag and pulled out a camera. 

"Um, sure." JC chuckled as he pushed back from the table and stood.  "Rach?" He asked, turning to her.  "Can you take our picture?"

"Love to." Rachel replied with a smile, thinking of how she would have been dying if she'd been in these girl's places a year ago.  After taking the picture for them they thanked both JC and Rachel then left the restaurant.

"They were nice." JC commented as their food was brought to the table. 

"And you just made their night." Rachel smiled as she cut into the chicken she'd ordered and took a bite. "Oh wow!" She said.

"Good?" He asked.

"Mmm." She nodded as she took a sip of her wine. 

"Here, try the pork chop." He said cutting a bite and reaching his fork across the table to her.  Rachel leaned forward and took the proffered bite.  As JC slid the fork from between her lips he watched her intently.

"Fantastic." She sighed.  "Do you want to try the chicken?" She asked, holding her fork up.  He leaned forward and she placed the bite in his mouth, their eyes locked.  Slowly, Rachel slid her leg forward under the table and rubbed the side of his leg with her foot.

"Tease." He accused her under his breath, his blue eyes dark.  Rachel withdrew her foot with a seductive smile on her face.  "I didn't say I wanted you to stop." He said and Rachel chuckled.

"Easy, Tiger." She replied.  "All in good time."

JC groaned as he took a healthy swallow of his wine.  "I think you enjoy your power over me a little too much at times, Sass." He said, cutting and taking another bite of his pork chop.

She smiled widely.  "Well, what good is power if you can't enjoy it?"

He laughed.  "You're something else, you know that?"

"But you love me." She replied confidently.

"Insanely." He replied.

~~~~~~

"Dinner was wonderful." Rachel said as they left the restaurant and began walking along the busy sidewalk.  "Thank you." She smiled at him.

"You're welcome." He replied.  "But the night isn't over."

She looked up at him.  "What else could you possibly have up your sleeve?" She inquired.  "You didn't have that much time today to plan this."  He pointed down the street and she gasped when she what their destination was.  "Seriously?" She asked looking back at him, her eyes wide.  He grinned as he led her over to one of the horse drawn carriages parked along the curb.  After helping her step up into the carriage he spoke briefly with the driver then joined her on the bench, wrapping his arms around her.  Rachel looked at him in amazement.

"What?" He asked, chuckling self-consciously.

"Who are you?" She asked him, shaking her head.

He just smiled as he leaned over and, putting one hand to her face, drew her close.  His lips met hers in a warm and gentle kiss and Rachel sighed when he drew back.  Laying her head on his shoulder she snuggled against him as they looked up at the night sky and held hands--quietly talking for the next hour--as they were driven around the park.  JC turned and nuzzled her neck at one point making her shiver and Rachel couldn't help feeling as if she were in a scene from a movie.

The dream-like sensation followed them back to their hotel room and as she lay in his arms later that night Rachel couldn't understand how anyone could have possible left him in the past.  He was charming, sweet, romantic and attentive; gentle, loving and patient.  He made her laugh and was constantly surprising her with his thoughtfulness.  He wasn't perfect by any means--he definitely had his faults--but to her, right now, he was pretty damn close.

Rachel turned in his arms and watched him as he slept.  She softly traced a finger down his nose and over his perfect lips, snuggling up against him when he stirred slightly and tightened his arms around her.  Whatever the other girl's problems had been, it was their loss.  He was hers now and she was never giving him up.

Chapter End Notes:
Am I forgiven for all the cliff-hangers??


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc