Author's Chapter Notes:
Happy Friday :)
"How did it go?" Megan asked over the phone Monday afternoon as Rachel made her way through LAX. 

"Would you think I was completely crazy if I told you I was thinking about auditioning to be a dancer on JC's tour?" Rachel asked, winding her way through the busy terminal towards the parking garage.

"What?" Megan asked with a confused chuckled.  Rachel sighed as she stepped into an empty elevator and pushed the button for the floor she needed.

"I was watching the dancers auditioning yesterday...and I think I could do it."

"Really?" Megan asked.

"Yeah." Rachel bit her bottom lip as she recalled JC's invitation to try out and come on tour with him.  She hadn't told him at the time, but his offer was tempting.  Incredibly tempting.

"Rach, that's awesome!  I totally think you should!"

"Yeah?" Rachel asked.

"Totally!" Megan exclaimed.  "Did you talk to JC about it?" She inquired.

"No...well sort of." Rachel replied.  "He told me I should try out then he said I should quit my job and go on tour with him.  I told him he was crazy, but now I think I'm the crazy one for contemplating it.  I really want to do this Megs.  I want to see if I can do it."

"I think it's a great idea.  If you don't you're always going to wonder."

"That's what I'm afraid of." Rachel told her.  "I have enough regrets in my life.  I don't want anymore."

"Do it." Megan told her.  "Besides what's the worse that could happen?"

"I totally screw up my knee again?"  Rachel replied as the elevator doors opened and she walked about into the parking structure where she'd left her car over the weekend.

"Besides that." Megan said.  "Because I don't think you're going to have any problem.  You've kept yourself in shape.  And even if you don't make the cut, you're dating the man.  I'm pretty sure JC will let you do whatever you want."

"I want to do this on my own." Rachel told her.  "I don't want him to know I'm trying out."

"And how exactly are you going to keep it from him?  Isn't he there at the auditions?" Megan asked.  

"Yeah..." Rachel drawled as she unlocked her Jetta and, tossing her bag in the back seat, got in.  She leaned her head back against the seat as she thought for a moment.  How am I going to sneak into the auditions?  JC is there, Justin is there...Rachel sat up as she got a flash of brilliance.  "Justin." She said aloud, starting her car.

"Justin?"  Megan repeated confused.

"Justin." Rachel said smiling.   "I can get Justin to help me."

"So when are auditions?"

"JC's back on Wednesday and I think the auditions they're holding here start on Friday."

"Five days." Megan commented.  "Can you have a routine ready by then?"

"If I start now."  She said pulling out of the garage.  "Good think I took the rest of today off but I think I'll be fine.  I saw what the choreographer was looking for in New York and I'm not worried about that."

"Good luck." Megan offered.

"Thanks."

"So are you going to tell me how this weekend went, besides making you want to dance again?  Did you talk to JC about what's been going on with Rob at work?"

"Yes." Rachel replied.  "Hang on a sec."

Digging in her purse she pulled out her Bluetooth and put the receiver in her ear as she approached the exit.  After paying the parking attendant, Rachel returned to her conversation with Megan as she drove towards the freeway entrance she wanted.  "Okay, sorry."

"That's okay. How did telling him go?" Megan asked again.

"Good." Rachel replied.  "I'm glad I told him, although I was mortified when he first came in the room!"  Rachel began laughing as she related her embarrassment at having Justin Timberlake walk in the hotel room with JC and see her in her lingerie.

Megan couldn't hold back her laughter.  "That's hilarious!" She exclaimed.  "Nice work!"

"Thank you." Rachel did a little bow in her car.  She then told Megan about her dinner last night with JC and the carriage ride they'd taken, relating every detail.  She sighed.  "It was perfect.  Right out of a movie.  I seriously thought he was going to propose."

"What would you have done if he had?" Megan asked her.

Rachel thought for a moment, her eyes automatically going to the ring he'd given her for Christmas.  "He's basically already asked me to marry him." Rachel reminded her best friend.  "And I said yes."

"He still needs to do it officially." Megan replied.  "All he did in Paris was ask you hypothetically."

"I know." Rachel said.  "Neither of us is ready for marriage yet."

"You're already living together and sharing your lives.  What's a little more commitment?" Megan chuckled.

"Honestly?" Rachel answered.  "I don't really believe in marriage."

"What?" Megan asked.  "Seriously?  Okay, out of the two of us, I'm the one who shouldn't believe in marriage.  I'm the one whose dad walked out when she was ten."

"I know." Rachel replied.  "But...marriage is a huge commitment, Megs, and out of the two of us I'm the one with commitment and trust issues."

"You're getting better." Megan told her.  "The fact that you flew to New York this weekend speaks volumes on your trust in and commitment level to JC.  Besides...what's going to happen when you get pregnant?"

If she had been drinking something at the moment she would have spit it all over the dashboard of her car.  "Pregnant?" Rachel exclaimed.  "You're funny." She laughed humorlessly.  "I am not getting pregnant."

"You never know." Megan drawled.

"Um, yes I do." Rachel replied.  "Ain't gonna happen, sista.  Things are about to get really busy and crazy around here." She said, thinking of JC's solo tour that was about to start and the upcoming N SYNC reunion that she'd been sworn to secrecy about.  At the time she'd readily agreed to keeping her mouth shut about what JC had confided to her.  But she had to forcefully bite her tongue now to not spill the beans to Megan.  "There's no way I could handle having a baby right now." She said instead.

"I'm just saying." Megan responded.  "Babies happen.  Then what?"

"If for some miraculous reason-and believe me, it would definitely have to be miraculous--but if for some miraculous reason I get pregnant I'm sure everything will work out.  Until then, I'm not going to worry about it."

"Oh, okay.  Good to know you have a plan, Rach." Megan chuckled and Rachel knew she was shaking her head.

"Hey, I'm almost home." Rachel said exiting the freeway.  Her cell phone beeped alerting her to another call coming through.  She looked down at it and smiled.  "And JC's calling me."

"Okay." Megan replied.

"Can I call you later?" Rachel asked.

"Sure.  I'll talk to you later." Megan told her.

"Okay, bye." Rachel ended the call and clicked over to JC.  "Hello." She smiled.

"Are you home?" He asked.

"Almost."  She replied.  "Were you worried about me?" She asked with a grin.

"I was just making sure." He told her.  "And I missed you." Rachel smiled as she pulled into the garage.

"Any good talent today?" She asked, looking at her watch as she got out at her car.  It was almost three in L.A. which meant auditions were almost over in New York. 

"Some." He answered with a sigh.   "They're hoping to find one or two more tomorrow.  If not we're going to have to cross our fingers for the tryout there in L.A."

Rachel smiled.  "Maybe there'll be a few surprises." She told him as she let herself into the house.

"I hope so." He said, then groaned.

"What's the matter?" Rachel asked with a chuckle as she walked into the family room and sat down on the couch.

"Oh nothing.  I'm just getting old."  JC told her.  "I was working with the choreographer this afternoon."

"Awe...I'm sorry." Rachel told him.  "If I were there I'd make you an icepack." She offered.

"That's nice of you to offer, since this is your fault." He responded. 

"My fault?" Rachel exclaimed, putting a hand to her chest.  "How is this my fault.  I wasn't even with you today, remember?  I was in an airplane the majority of the day."

"Yes, but if you hadn't kept me up so late last night I would have been okay." He told her.

"Wait, hold up!" Rachel laughed.  "If you'll remember it was you who kept dragging out the...festivities last night."

"I can't help it." He said.  "One touch just isn't enough sometimes."

"You know, it's a good thing you found me, Joshua Scott." Rachel told him with a giggle.  "I don't know very many people who would put up with that dirty mind of yours."

"You might be surprised." He responded arrogantly.  Rachel gasped and he laughed.  "I'm kidding." He assured her.

"Yeah, whatever." Rachel replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Come on." JC plead.  "You know you're the only one I want."

"Mmm-hmm." Rachel teased him.

"I swear." He said.  "You're the only one I've been with since we met."

Rachel drew back though he couldn't see her at his admission.  "Since we met?" She asked.  "You mean since we started dating?"

"No." He replied.  "Since we met." He told her again.

"What?" Rachel asked completely flabbergasted.  "Since Megan's wedding?" She asked needing to make sure they were talking about the same time period.  "Really?"

"Really." He replied sincerely.  "You ruined me, Sass, without even realizing it."

"Jace, I..." She stopped, at a loss for words.  How in the hell was she supposed to respond to that?  Goose bumps enveloped her as she let the enormity of his words sink in.  Rachel rubbed her arms and blinked back the tears she felt forming.

"You still there?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah." She breathed.  "I just...I don't know what to say." They were both quiet for a moment.

"I love you." He said.

"Apparently." She replied and he chuckled.  "I love you, too, Joshua."

"Is that Rachel?"

Rachel heard Justin in the background and laughed as she listened to the scuffle that ensued between the two men on the other end of the line. 

"Hey, baby." Justin said, having succeeded in wrestling the phone away from JC.

"Justin, I'm going to tell you something that JC already knows." Rachel said, trying hard not to laugh. 

"Oh yeah?  What's that?" Justin asked.

"Don't call me baby." Rachel told him firmly.  "Now, put my boyfriend back on the phone." She laughed.  "I wasn't done talking to him."

"Well, I'm not done talking to you, bab--oops, darlin'." Justin answered.  "So he's just going to have to wait."

"Give me that." JC said, taking the phone back from him lately.  "Get out of here."

"Don't worry Rachel!" Justin called out.  "Someday we'll be together.  I--"

Justin's declaration was cut off with the sound of a door closing and Rachel giggled at JC's dramatic sigh.

"Has he always been like that?" Rachel asked.

"No." JC replied.  "I don't know what's gotten into him.  He's never acted like this with any one else I've dated."

"Why am I the lucky one?" Rachel wondered aloud, though secretly she loved the relationship she and Justin had formed. 

"I don't know." JC replied.  "But I'm sorry.  I know he's a pain in the ass."

"Oh, don't worry about it." Rachel assured him.  "He's all talk." She giggled again as she once again recalled Justin's antics over the weekend.  It was like they'd known each other their whole lives.  The way they could tease each other about anything and had fallen into such an easy and natural brother/sister relationship...it was like this was the way things were always meant to be between them.  Who'd have thought Justin Timberlake and I would be friends one day? She wondered. 

~~~~~~

"Welcome back." Aubrey smiled at Rachel as she walked into the office Tuesday morning.

"Thanks." Rachel smiled back.  "Did I miss anything exciting while I was gone?"

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head.  "Although Rob was kind of upset about you just taking off Friday night and then was bent out of shape yesterday when he found out you'd called in.  He may try to corner you today about that, so be warned."

"Thanks." Rachel said as she walked back towards her desk.  "I'll be on the lookout."

"Rachel?" Rob said, quickly standing and coming out of his office as she passed his door.  Rachel stopped and gritted her teeth then, pasting a smile on her face, she turned and looked at the man.

"Good morning." She said.

"I'd like to talk to you.  Do you have a few minutes?" He asked.

"Sure." She replied, struggling not to show her annoyance.  No, I do not have a few minutes... "What do you need?" She asked standing in the doorway.

"Come in." He said.  "Close the door."

Rachel turned, rolling her eyes when he couldn't see and did as he said and took a seat across from him.  Putting all of the stuff she was carrying in her lap she looked at him.

"Did you have a good weekend?" Rob asked.

"Yes." She replied shortly, hoping to end this conversation quickly.

"It looked like it." He smiled.

"Excuse me?" Rachel asked, her brow furrowing in question.

"Oh," Rob replied nonchalantly with a wave of his hand.  "There was a picture of you and your boyfriend," was it just her imagination that he'd spit that last word out? "In the paper this morning." Rachel remained quiet--not sure exactly how to respond to that.  "Do you give all your former clients that kind of personal attention?" Rob asked, sliding a folded up section of a newspaper across his desk towards her.  Rachel looked at the picture that someone had taken of her and JC kissing in Central Park on Saturday, then up at her boss.

"My personal life is none of your concern." She told him.

"It is when it interferes with your work." Rob told her.

"It has never interfered with my work." Rachel replied feeling angry as she folded her arms across her chest. 

"You've taken a lot of time off in the past for ‘personal' reasons." Rob continued.  "And taking a lot of sick days recently.  When did you and JC start dating?" He asked looking down at a file he had open on his desk.

"Last year." Rachel replied narrowing her eyes as she watched him.  What are you up to? She wanted to ask.

"Before or after he became a client of Adams & Richards?"

Rachel clenched her hands into fists.  "I don't think that's really any of your business." She told him.  "But for the record we knew each other before he became a client."

"Is it a habit of yours to cut deals for people you know?" Rob asked.

"What?" Rachel exclaimed.  "I don't know what you're talking about." She told him honestly.

"Of course not." He smiled and gave her an exaggerated wink.  "Consider this a warning." He told her.

Rachel looked at him in shock.  "A warning?" She asked.

Rob nodded.  "I'm going to be keeping a closer eye on you and the projects you're working on.  That's all." He said closing the file on his desk and turning his attention to his computer--dismissing her. 

Rachel sat confused about what had just happened.  What the hell? She though as she finally stood and left his office.  She knew it probably hadn't been the best idea to begin a relationship with JC while he was a client, but she'd worked hard to ensure everything had been kept separate.  She hadn't cut him any deals.  And if he looks at the invoices he'll see that.  She thought angrily as she put her purse and notebook down on her desk.  Finally figuring she really couldn't do anything except prove him wrong--and the paperwork would speak for itself and do that for her--Rachel pushed her bizarre conversation with Rob from her mind and focused on getting caught up on the work she'd left over the weekend.

~~~~~~

"Talk to me."

"Justin?" Rachel asked, stepping out on the back porch Thursday evening to talk on her cell phone.  She kept an eye on the family room through the window, nervous about JC coming back upstairs.  He'd left after dinner to go down and work in the studio and Rachel had decided to finally put her plan for Saturday into motion.

"The one and only." He replied.

"It's Rachel." She said whispering, though there was no need.  "Listen, I need you to do me a favor."

"You finally realized you need a real man, huh?" He asked and she could picture his smirk.

Rachel laughed at his suggestive tone.  "No.  I need you to help me with something but it's a surprise.  You can't tell JC."

"Does it by chance involve you wearing something in baby blue?" He asked.

"Again," Rachel replied with a chuckle.  "No.  Only in your dreams, remember."

"What are we talking about here then?" He inquired.

"I need you to sneak me into the dance audition JC's going to be at on Saturday."

"Come again?" He asked, clearly taken by surprise.

"I want to try out for the tour, but I don't want JC to know I'm doing it."

"He's going to see you." Justin reminded her.

"I know, but not until I'm already up on the stage.  I don't want any special treatment.  I want to see if I can do it on my own."

Justin was quiet for a moment.  "Okay." He finally agreed.

"Okay?" Rachel asked excitedly.  "Really?"

"Yeah.  This'll be fun.  Here's what we're going to do..."

~~~~~~

"Have you done this before?" Rachel giggled as she followed Justin around to the back of the auditorium. 

"Shh!" He said looking around nervously and ducking behind the building quickly, looking ridiculous.  "Put your hood up, girl!  Do you want to blow our cover?"

"No.  Sorry." Rachel giggled as she pulled the hood of her black sweatshirt over her head.  "How's that?" She asked.

"Hmmm..." He looked at her then took of the sunglasses he was wearing and handed them to her.

"Better?" Rachel asked, putting them on and trying to keep a straight face.

"Yeah.  Put your head down and don't do anything to draw attention to yourself."  Justin said opening the back door of the building and ushering her inside.

"Then I shouldn't walk in with you." She teased.  He put his arm around her shoulder as they walked down the hall.

"Just act natural." He said.  "No one will notice."

"No one will notice you walking in the back door with a strange girl?" Rachel questioned as she looked up at him.  "Again I ask have you done this before?"  He shrugged and grinned at her.  Rachel chuckled.

"You're something else.  Why--hey!" She exclaimed as Justin pushed her over to the wall and stood in front of her.  "What's the big idea, Timberlake?" She asked looking up at him.

"Shh!" He told her.  "I thought I heard JC." He turned his head to the side.  "Be quiet a moment."

Rachel turned as well and strained to listen.  She didn't' hear JC's voice, however his distinctive giggle carried down the hall towards them and she feared she was going to be found out.  Why did I lie to him this morning? She thought as Justin turned his back to her and leaned against the wall to hide the fact that she was behind him.  Justin lifted his hand as if waving to someone and spoke to her out of the corner of his mouth.

"I gotta go.  He saw me."

Rachel turned around and pulled her cell phone from her pocket as she pretended to be busy talking on it.

"Good luck." Justin whispered.

"Thank you." Rachel told him, turning slightly-praying JC had left and couldn't see her.  He was nowhere in sight and Rachel breathed a sigh of relief.  Stage One: complete. She thought as she hiked her duffle bag higher on her shoulder and continued down the hall way.  On to stage two...

~~~~~~

JC shifted in his seat and pulled his cell phone from his pocket as Justin came up to him.  "Hey man." He said as he quickly typed out and sent Rachel a text.  Justin nodded at him as he sat down.

How're you feeling?

Rachel had woken up this morning not feeling well, so JC had left her home in bed.  As the dancers up on stage worked with the choreographer he wished he had had an excuse to stay home as well--being snuggled under the covers with Rachel would have been the perfect way to spend today.  He pulled his phone from his pocket when it vibrated.

My stomach's not doing so hot. How are the try out's going?

He typed out a reply and sent it.

This is a lot more fun when you're here with me.

"Where's Rachel?" Justin asked looking around.  "I thought for sure she'd be here with you today."

"She's home sick." JC told him putting his phone back.  He looked back up at the stage briefly as the group of dancers up there was dismissed and a single dancer walked out. 

"Anyone good in that last group?" Justin asked.  JC shrugged his shoulder as he began doodling in the notebook on his lap. 

"I wasn't really paying attention." He admitted.  Justin rolled his eyes.

"Ooh, I like this song." Justin commented and began moving in his seat as the girl on the stage began her routine. 

"It's okay." JC said glancing up quickly, doing a double take when a flick of a blonde ponytail and the familiar swish of hips caught his attention, a strange sense of déjà vu enveloping him as he watched the girl.  Rachel?  Leaning forward slightly he shook his head and looked back down at his notebook.  Rachel was home, sick in bed.  He'd left her there sleeping a few hours ago.

"You okay?" Justin asked as JC once more looked up at the girl on stage, wishing there were more lights turned on. 

"Yeah." JC replied distractedly.  He couldn't take his eyes off her and finally, needing to reaffirm to himself that he was just being delusional, he got up.  "I'll be back." He said walking past Justin and moving towards the stage.  He stopped a few rows down when the girl turned and faced the mostly empty auditorium.  His heart skipped when her familiar brown eyes connected with his own.  It was Rachel!  How in the world...

He took a step forward but stopped as the choreographer jumped up on stage and began talking to her.  She easily executed all the moves Mark gave her with an exactness and grace that was enviable.  He smiled proudly, though he was shocked she'd pulled this stunt, and watched her dance--admiring her form.  She was a natural there was no doubt about it.

~~~~~

Rachel put her hands on her hips as the music stopped, breathing heavily.  Even though she wanted to look at JC--she could feel his eyes burning into her--she forced herself to stay focused on the choreographer and what he was telling her. 

So far, so good.  She thought as she swiped her arm across her forehead.  JC had been right.  It was like riding a bike.  She'd gotten up on stage and everything had come back to her.  She smiled.  Her knee was hurting a bit, but not as much as she had thought it would be and after Mark put her through a few more routines she was dismissed and told she would be contacted if chosen.

Rachel walked backstage and dropped down to the floor by where she'd left her duffle bag.  Grabbing her water bottle she reached for her cell phone and flipped it open, reading the text message she'd received from Megan.

So? How did it go?

Rachel smiled.

I still got it :)

She sent her reply as she stretched out her leg--grimacing as her knee reacted poorly to the movement.  She sucked in a breath as she began rubbing it.  Leaning her head back against the wall she closed her eyes and smiled.  She'd done it!  She'd actually gotten back up on stage after all these years and danced again!

"Upset stomach, huh?"

Rachel looked up at JC who was leaning against the wall, his arms folded across his chest as he lifted one brow at her.  She stood and looked up at him guiltily.

"I'm sorry?" She offered.

"What are you doing here?" He asked straightening.

"Trying out." She told him with a shrug of her shoulder.  "You told me I should and I decided what the hell?"  Finally he smiled and she relaxed.  "So?" She asked pulling her bottom lip between her teeth, anxious for his critique.

"You're a natural." He replied with a smile.

"You mean I have a chance of making it?" She asked excitedly.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you get a call back." He chuckled.  He reached out and tucked some of the hair that had escaped her ponytail behind her ear.

"Really?" She asked.  He nodded.  She giggled excitedly then leaned up and kissed him.  "Were you surprised?" She asked, putting her hands on his chest. 

"Very." He said.  "But I think the better work would be distracted.  The way you move..." He shook his head and Rachel grinned. 

"You liked that?" She asked with a smirk, stepping away from him as she began moving her hips back and forth, demonstrating some of the moves she'd done on stage.  "Oh, ow!" She said as she felt her knee pull as she did a turn.  "Okay, enough for today." She chuckled as she leaned down and rubbed her knee.

"You okay?" He asked concerned.

"Never better." She replied, smiling up at him as she straightened.

"Do you need anything?" He questioned.

"Maybe an icepack." She said.  "Think you can make me one when we get home?"

He grinned.  "Sure thing, Sass.  One icepack coming up." He said as he took her hand.

"You going to be okay driving home?"

"Yeah, because you're driving." She replied. 

He looked at her.  "How did you get here?" He asked.

"Justin." She replied and he laughed.

"I should have known." JC said.  "I thought he was acting strange."

"No more than usual." Rachel replied making JC laugh again.  "But don't hold it against him.  It was my idea.  I talked him into helping me sneak in here."

"And if I know Justin," JC said with a grin.  "You didn't have to talk too hard to get him to agree am I right?"  Rachel smiled and JC shook his head.

"Are you done?" Rachel asked.  "How many more are trying out?"

"You were the last one." He told her.  "Let's go home."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc