Author's Chapter Notes:
K, guys...this is a long one...hopefully it will tide you all over till after Christmas!  :)

"Rach?" JC called out as he walked into the house a week later. 

"In here." She answered from the kitchen and he walked towards where she was.  He heard her giggle as he came around the corner and tossed his keys on the counter. 

"What's so funny?" He asked.  She looked up from the papers in her hand and laughed when she saw him.  "What're you reading?" He nodded towards what she was holding as he walked towards her.

"Ahem." Rachel cleared her throat as she straightened from leaning against the counter and began reading.  "‘What Chasez really dreams about most days is music.'" She looked up at him.  "Is that true?" She asked then continued reading before he could say anything.  "‘Some of the songs I think of when I'm in the shower,' he says.  ‘Some of them I'll think of when I'm falling into bed.'" She paused.  "Hmmm..." Rachel commented, looking at him with one eyebrow raised. 

"What are you reading?" JC asked again, reaching out for the papers in her hands.

"Uh-uh." Rachel said shaking her head as she held the papers out away from him and danced back a few steps.  "‘I've got to get up and put this down!'" She continued reading his quote.  "‘When I get bored, I'll zone out and I'll just sit in front of my computer and start writing any random song that comes to mind.'  And sometimes they just happen to be exceedingly raunchy--‘I just want to get close to you.'" Rachel read the lyrics dramatically, looking up at him seductively.  He started coming towards her and she turned as she walked away from him.  "‘Find out what it takes to move you.  Feel the rhythm, hit the spot--'" She collapsed in a fit of giggles as JC finally succeeded in taking the article from her as he put an arm around her pulling her back against him. 

"Where the hell did you get this?" He asked, looking at the two page article that had been written about him in People back in 2004.

"Megan." Rachel told him, taking the pages back from him.  She looked down at them.  "Here's the part I don't get." She told him as he released her.  "An avid bass fisher?" She asked, turning the page and pointing at the caption of him sitting on the dock at his house in Florida.  "Seriously?  Since when the hell do you fish?" She began giggling again.  "And you have a boat?!"

"Used to." He said with a shrug.  "When I was living in Florida."

"But seriously when did you have time to fish let alone avidly?" Rachel asked laughing hysterically.  "Was that...was that just something you said to make yourself appear more manly?  Couldn't you have said something like rock climbing or mountain biking?  Bass fishing?!" She giggled again.  "Might as well have said you liked fly fishing or yoga."

"Alright, you know what?" He put his hands on his hips as he looked at her and Rachel looked at him expectantly, biting her lip to keep from smiling.  "In my defense when that was written," he pointed at the article still in her hands.  "Fishing was something I liked to do." He said.

"But avidly?!" Rachel asked. 

"You know journalists." He shrugged his shoulders as he turned and opened the fridge.  "They tweak things to make it sound interesting."  He pulled out a bottle of water and opened it.  Rachel chuckled.  "Did you decide on a movie for tonight?" He asked changing the subject after taking a few swallows.

"Yep." She smiled.  "What do you want for dinner?"

"Doesn't matter." He said. 

"How did your meeting with Marcus and Drake go?" Rachel asked turning and opening the drawer where they kept the take-out menus. 

"Good." He said as she began looking through the drawer as she decided what to order.  "The first show has been scheduled."

Rachel looked up at him in surprise.  "Really?" She asked smiling.  He nodded.  "Jace, that's great!" She put her arms around his neck and kissed him.  "When and where?"

"May twenty-second in Baltimore." He replied, his arms winding around her waist.

"Congratulations." She told him with a smile.

"You're coming with me, right?" He asked. 

"Are you kidding?" She replied.  "Of course I am!"

"Good." He said releasing her as she went back to perusing the menus.  "Because I told my parents we'd be there that weekend." He told her.

Rachel turned around quickly.  "Your...your parents?" She asked.  "Really?"

He nodded.  "They only live about forty-five minutes away from where we're going to be." He said. 

"And?" Rachel asked.

"And they're looking forward to finally meeting you." He smiled.

Rachel took a deep breath and released it.  "Okay." She said.  "Wow.  Um...okay."

JC looked at her strangely.  "Don't worry." He told her with a smile.  "They don't bite."

"I'm not worried." She told him.  He folded his arms as he narrowed his eyes at her, somehow not believing the words coming from her mouth.  "I'm not." She assured him.  "Pizza or Chinese?" She asked him, effectively changing the subject.

~~~~~~

"Is this a chick flick?" JC asked as Rachel settle beside him on the couch.  He groaned good-naturedly as Rachel took a bite of her chow mien with her chopsticks saying nothing, thus giving away the answer to his question.  He looked at her as he lifted the remote in his hands and started the DVD.  Rachel grinned at him the giggled as the opening music for Music and Lyrics started. 

"I love this movie." She said.  JC groaned again as he put his head back against the couch.  "Knock it off." Rachel said, playfully nudging him.  "Mmm..." She said, taking another bite.  "The first time I saw this movie I couldn't stop laughing." 

"I don't get it..."

"Shh!" She told him.  "Look, look!" She said pointing at the screen.  "Is that where you got the idea to wear that little black scarf on the first season of Dance Crew?" She said in reference to the thin black scarf Hugh Grant's character was wearing in the music video that began the movie. 

"No." JC shook his head as he rolled his eyes at her.

"The reason I couldn't stop laughing is because this movie is sooo you and Justin." Rachel told him.

"What?!" He exclaimed with a laugh.

"Have you seen it before?" Rachel asked him and he nodded.

"Okay, well...you're Alex-the true musician that got the bum end of the deal." Rachel pointed at the screen.  "And Justin is Colin--the super star that everyone loves for some inexplicable reason."

"I don't know whether to laugh or be offended." JC told her with a chuckle.

"Don't be offended." Rachel told him, giving him a quick kiss on the lips.  "I love Alex." She smiled.

"I'm not Alex." JC told her.

"Yes you are." Rachel told him.  "Because, among other things, you both have an affinity for wearing tight pants." She giggled.

"I'm not Alex." He repeated.  "And I'll tell you why.  Because--A, I'm not British and B, I'm not 50 years old playing the State Fair route...yet."

Rachel giggled as she sat up and put her food container on the coffee table then leaned back against him.  Pulling her legs up, she rested her knees against his thighs as he put his arm around his shoulder.  Rachel snuggled against him--putting her head on his chest--as they continued watching the movie.

"Oh my goodness!" Rachel exclaimed half-way through the movie.

"What?" JC asked as she sat up and looked at him. 

"That was so me and Megan!" She pointed at the screen as Drew Berrymore's character explained how she'd bought the last copy of Alex Fletcher's first CD.  "I forgot about that." She giggled.

"What are you talking about?" He asked not understanding.

Rachel began to laugh.  "When Schizophrenic came out Megan didn't buy it right away because she was turned off by all the raunchiness but," she said as she tucked some hair behind her ear.  "She finally decided a few years later that she needed to buy it, because otherwise she wasn't a true fan.  So we went to buy it one Saturday but we couldn't find it.  Anywhere." She told him.

"Anywhere?" He asked.

Rachel shook her head.  "We went to like four different music stores and a couple different Wal-Marts.  We spent all day looking but nobody had it.  Finally we found it at a Virgin Megastore at the mall.  The last copy I think in the entire state of Arizona!"

"Congratulations." He replied dryly.

"And then!" She giggled again. "We wrote you a fan letter.  I even put my phone number in it...but we didn't mail it."  JC cocked his head to the side as he looked at her.

"Why not?" He asked.

She shrugged.  "What twenty-four year old writes a fan letter to her teenage pop idol?"  She was quiet for a moment as a thought came to her. 

"What?" JC asked confused.

She looked at him.  "That was the second time I tried to give you my number but it didn't work out.  Weird, huh?"

"Yeah," he lifted his hand and cupped her cheek as he smiled.  "Weird."

They watched the movie, each laughing at different parts until, towards the end, JC pulled her close.  "This song is us." He said gesturing towards the screen when Rachel looked at him.  She listened to the words that Hugh Grant was singing onstage and smiled. 

Since I've met you, my whole life has changed
It's not just my furniture, you've rearranged
I was living in the past, but somehow you've brought me back
And I haven't felt like this since before Frankie said relax

And while I know, based on my track record
I might not seem like the safest bet
All I'm asking you, is don't write me off, just yet

For years I've been telling myself, the same old story
That I'm happy to live off my so called, former glories
But you've given me a reason, to take another chance
Now I need you, despite the fact, that you've killed all my plants

And though I know, I've already blown more chances
Than anyone should ever get
All I'm asking you, is don't write me off, just yet
Don't write me off just yet

"You haven't killed my plants," he chuckled.  "Because I don't have any but you've definitely rearranged my furniture." He paused and Rachel looked over at him.  He lifted his hand and cupped her cheek gently.  "Thanks for not writing me off." He said quietly.  "Even when you had the chance."

Rachel leaned towards him, pressing her lips against his for several long moments.  When she finally pulled back she laid her head on his shoulder.  She smiled as he began playing with her hair-absently running his fingers through it as the movie finished.  "You know," he said.  "Colin may be the one who has hit records, movies, and cologne named after him," Rachel looked at him.  "But Alex is the one who gets the girl in the end." He winked at her.  Rachel smiled as she kissed him.

"That's right." She nodded patting his chest.  "And really what's better?" She asked.  "Records, movies and cologne or the girl?"

"The girl." JC said confidently leaning forward as he placed a series of kisses to her lips, slowly laying her back on the couch as they got progressively deeper and more passionate.  "Definitely the girl."

~~~~~~

"Come on, Rach." JC told her, lifting his dark sunglasses.  "Everyone's waiting."

"I'm coming." Rachel said, slinging her beach bag over her shoulder and placing her oversized straw hat on her head. 

"Ready?" He asked placing his glasses back down on his nose.  Rachel smiled. 

"How do I look?" She asked holding her arms out to the side. 

"Incredible." He told her.  She looked down at herself and the white bikini she was wearing.  "Now come on." He said.  "The boat's waiting."

Rachel followed him out of the house and down to the boat dock.  Once they were on the boat, JC behind the wheel, Rachel finally noticed that they weren't alone.  "Aubrey!" She exclaimed excitedly sitting next to the girl.

"Hi!" Aubrey greeted her with a big smile.

"Here you go."

Rachel looked up at Justin who held out a bottle to both she and Aubrey.  "Thanks." The girls both said.  Rachel leaned back and closed her eyes enjoying the feel of the wind and the sun on her.  She heard a giggle beside her and looked over, smiling as she watched Justin and Aubrey together.  Hmmm...she thought.  That's interesting.  She turned her head and watched JC as he continued to drive the boat.  Standing up Rachel walked over to him and put her arms around his neck.

"Why haven't we taken the boat out before now?" She asked.

"I didn't think you'd want to." He told her, placing his hand over hers where it rested on his chest.  Rachel kissed his cheek. 

"We should do this more often."

"Just wait till we get to the fishing." He said.

"Fishing?" Rachel laughed as she pulled back and looked at him.  "I don't fish."

"You do now." JC said, as he moved behind her and Rachel found herself suddenly holding a fishing pole.  "Alright, take it back like this." He said, pulling the pole back over their shoulders. "Then push down this button here." He pressed her thumb down on the release button.  "And let it go."

Rachel watched as the fishing pole extended out in front of her.  "I can't believe I let you talk me into this." She said as JC removed his hands from over hers and moved to stand beside her. Rachel looked down into the water and could see a bunch of fish swimming around.  "Why aren't I catching any of them?" She asked.  "There are tons of fish down there."

"You just have to be patient." He told her.

"So Megan and I had an interesting conversation the other day." She told him. 

"About?"

"About you and I getting married." Rachel said.

"That's not going to happen." JC said, folding his arms across his chest.

"Excuse me?" Rachel asked turning to look at him as the fishing pole in her hands disappeared.  She put her hands on her hips.  "I seem to remember you asking me to marry you in Paris, or was I just imagining that?"

"That was just hypothetical." He told her.  "I can't marry you."

"And why not?" Rachel asked him.

"My parents don't want me getting married right now."

"Ha!" Rachel laughed humorlessly.  "You're thirty-two years old, Jace.  You can't hide behind your parents any more.  Try again."

"Fine." He looked down at the ground and scuffed his foot along the boards on the deck.  "You're too sassy." He said looking up at her.  Rachel lifted a brow in surprise.

"What?" She asked him.

"You're too sassy." He repeated.  "I just...It's fine if we're just dating but I don't think it's going to work if we get married."

"What?"  

Rachel felt herself jerk awake at the buzzing of her alarm.  She opened her eyes and looked over at JC who rolled over with a groan.  Reaching out she pushed his shoulder roughly.

"What the hell?" He asked looking back over his shoulder at her.  "What did I do?"

"I'm too sassy?" She asked him.

"What are you talking about?" He asked yawning.

"I thought my sassy attitude was one of the things you loved about me." She told him as she reached over and silenced her alarm--grumbling about having forgotten to turn it off last night.  There was no reason for her to be up at seven-thirty.  It was Saturday for crying out loud! 

"It is." JC told her.  "What are you talking about?  Go back to sleep."

"You told me in my dream that we weren't going to be getting married." Rachel told him.  He turned over at that and looked at her. 

"What?" He asked a bit more interested now in what she had to say though still not fully awake yet.

"We were on a boat and you were teaching me how to fish and then I started telling you about this conversation that Megan and I had about the two of us getting married and then you looked at me and told me that wasn't going to happen.  To which I reminded you that you already asked me to marry you when we were in Paris and then you got all defensive and told me you couldn't marry me, first because your parent's didn't want you to and then because I was too sassy."  She looked over him.  JC lay looking at her for a moment and then burst into laughter.  "It's not funny." Rachel exclaimed, pushing him again.  He put his arms around her and pulled her close.

"I'm sorry." He apologized trying to contain his laughter.  "But...the look on your face!"  Again he started giggling.  Rachel grunted in disgust and tried to push him away but he just held on tighter.

"Let me go." She demanded and he did so.  Rachel rolled over in a huff and pulled the blankets up to her chin.  She felt the bed move as JC scooted up behind her.

"Do you have dreams about us getting married often?" He asked.

"No." She replied.  "And I didn't have a dream about us getting married.  We were just talking about it." She pouted.  A moment later she asked, "Do you still want to?  I mean, not right now obviously," She rushed to assure him.  "But...someday..." She left the question open and bit her bottom lip waiting for his answer.  For once in her life she was actually sort of looking forward to the idea of marriage and she didn't want to have him dash her hopes that it might happen between them someday.

JC put his arm around her as he nuzzled close to her, his lips finding the sweet spot below her ear-Rachel felt a rush of goose bumps as the scruff on his face tickled her.  "Yes." He breathed and she couldn't help the smile that came as she relaxed back against him.

Maybe Megan is right.  Rachel thought as JC began to softly snore behind her.  They were already living together and she was wearing his ring.  What was a little more commitment between them?  She knew he was the one she was meant to be with.  Why not make it official?       

~~~~~~

"What are you up to tonight?" Megan asked over the phone Wednesday evening.

"Nothing." Rachel responded as she sat down at the kitchen table.  She pulled one leg up as she opened her laptop and turned it on.  "Jace is still down at the studio rehersing so I have the place to myself tonight." She said, logging onto the internet.

"Whatever are you going to do with yourself?" Megan asked teasingly.

"I don't know." Rachel chuckled.  "But I'm sure I'll find something to distract me and help me waste some time.  This is the first time in a while that I haven't brought any work home with me.  Too bad you're not here." She said logging into her email account.  She frowned when there were no new messages.  "I'd make you go get sushi with me."

"Ew!" Megan exclaimed.  "Sushi makes me gag, remember?"

Rachel laughed.  "You've never even tried it, Megs!"

"Doesn't matter." Megan replied.  "Sushi is disgusting.  I don't how you eat it." She continued.  "The thought of something salty and sea-weedy...blech!" Megan made a gagging noise and Rachel laughed some more.

"Okay, okay." Rachel replied.  "I get the point.  You don't like sushi." She sat looking at her computer screen, the picture she had of JC as her desktop giving her an idea.  I wonder... She thought as she opened a new internet browser and typed in an address she'd memorized long ago.  She smiled as the old, familiar webpage opened. 

It had been awhile since she'd visited any of her old, favorite N SYNC fan sites.  After all, she was now part of the inner N SYNC circle with access to anything and everything she wanted to know about her five favorite guys.

Rachel moved her mouse over and clicked on the link to the gallery.  I wonder if there're any pictures I haven't seen before.  She looked at the different pages.  Funny pictures.  Group Pictures.  Individual Pictures.  Events.  Cartoons.

"Cartoons?" Rachel said out loud.

"What?" Megan asked with a confused chuckle.

"Nothing." Rachel replied with a giggle as she clicked on the Cartoons link.

"What are you doing?" Megan asked.

"Nothing." Rachel said again.  "Keep talking."

"About what?" Megan laughed.

"Anything." Rachel replied as she scrolled through the pictures.  "What's new with you?"

"Well," Megan drawled.  "Funny you should ask.  Jackson and I are buying a house!" She said excitedly.

"What?" Rachel replied.  "Really?"

"Yep." Megan answered.  Rachel could hear her friend's smile through the line.  "We found this great house down in Chandler.  I'm in love with it!"  Megan continued as Rachel continued browsing through the different cartoon renditions of N SYNC that the site owner had uploaded.  "It's got four bedrooms, three bathrooms and a great big back yard which is just perfect for a swimming pool."

"Oh my goodness!" Rachel exclaimed as she came to one picture in general that she'd never seen before. 

"I know!" Megan replied, thinking Rachel was responding to her description of the house. 

"No." Rachel giggled as she looked at the cartoon drawing of her boyfriend.  He was standing with all the characters from Scooby-Doo--a petite blonde in his arms.  "I mean, that's great, Megs!  Are you by your computer?" Rachel asked as she quickly copied the picture of JC and his blond girlfriend to her computer then opened up a new email message.  She laughed to herself.

"Yeah." Megan replied.  "What's up?"

"Take a look at this picture I'm sending you.  It's totally me and JC!"  Rachel giggled. 

"Okay." Megan said.  "I'm waiting."

"‘Kay." Rachel said.  "I just sent it." She sat, waiting for Megan's reaction.

"Oh my goodness is right!" Megan laughed, having gotten the email.  "It is you!  What the is this from?" She asked.

"I don't know." Rachel replied.

"Where did you find it?" Megan asked.  Rachel could hear her friend clicking around on her computer.

"I'm poking around some of the old fan sites-just for the hell of it.  I've never seen this picture before."  She said as she clicked through a few more pictures. 

"Neither have I." Megan replied.

"Okay." Rachel giggled as she came across another picture she'd never seen before.

"What?" Megan asked.

"I didn't know the boys were in Newsies!" Rachel laughed as she copied the picture she was looking at and sent it to Megan.

"What?!" Megan replied with a laugh.

"Look at the picture I just sent you." Rachel said.

"Awe!" Megan giggled.  "Look at baby Justin!"

"I know!" Rachel laughed.

"And look at Jace in his suspenders!"

"I know!  Can you believe it?" Rachel asked.  Both girls burst into a fit of giggles.

"Okay." Megan said.  "Who's the best, best friend?"

"Uh, you are.  Why?" Rachel asked.  Then, "Oh!" She exclaimed when a new email from Megan popped up on her screen.  She laughed when she opened the attachment.  Leave it to her graphic designer of a best friend to alter the picture she'd been sent.  Megan had cropped the Scooby-Doo cartoon picture--taking out the other characters leaving only JC and his blonde counterpart.

"You're the best!" Rachel exclaimed.  "I'm setting this as my desktop picture!"  Megan laughed.  Rachel sighed.  "He looks good.  I like his jacket."

"Rachel!  He's a cartoon!" Megan exclaimed.

"I know." Rachel replied.  "I wonder what this picture is from." She wondered out loud.  "Was he really on Scooby-Doo?"

"Okay, you're not going to believe this." Megan said suddenly laughing even more.  "But, yes!  He was really was in an episode of Scooby-Doo!"

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.  "Are you serious?"

"Yes!" Megan replied through her laughter.  "Youtube it!  This is hysterical!"

"Wait, wait, wait." Rachel said, frantically trying to pull up the media site--her computer deciding to be slow at the moment was making her mad.  Finally the video player came up and she started watching the first part of the show.

"Ah!" Megan exclaimed a moment later.

"What?" Rachel replied in exasperation.

"Her name is Rachel!!" Megan erupted into a fit of laughter.

"No way!" Rachel said. 

"Way!  What the hell?" Megan laughed.  "How did I not know about this?" She asked.

"You?" Rachel replied.  "How did I not know about this?" She laughed when the blonde with her name came on screen.  "Okay." Rachel laughed.  "She's ridiculous."

"She's you!" Megan replied through her laughter.

"Hey!  Wait, I dated Shaggy?!" Rachel exclaimed as the girl's background was explained.  "As if!  There is no way in this life or the life to come that I would date Shaggy."

"And there's JC!" Megan replied barely able to speak, she was laughing so hard. 

"Oh!  Hi, honey!" Rachel said, then burst into uncontrollable laughter herself as JC's character introduced himself.  The girls were quiet for a moment as they watched.  Then Megan started laughing again.  "I got sick of all the super models so I decided to by a cabin on the outskirts of town?" She repeated JC's line and Rachel burst out laughing again.

"Awe, it's nice of him to come see me in between tour stops." Rachel giggled as she wiped the tears from her eyes.  "Oh my goodness.  This is the funniest thing I've ever seen." She said as the first half ended.  She quickly started the next part of the episode. 

"I know!" Megan replied.  "I'm dying here.  Jackson keeps giving me these funny looks but I can't stop laughing." She laughed to illustrate her point.  "He's really not a good actor, Ray.  Even as a cartoon!"

"So true!" Rachel giggled as she shook her head. 

"What in the hell possessed him...why did he do this?" Megan asked.

"I have no idea!" Rachel replied.  "But I'm going to ask him about it as soon as he gets home!" She gasped as the villain was finally unmasked.

"JC?!" Both girls exclaimed together than collapsed in a simultaneous fit of laughter. 

"What?" JC asked.  Rachel turned as JC walked into the kitchen and began laughing even harder as she paused the video.  "What's so funny?" He asked walked towards her.  "You're crying."

"I know!" Rachel said.

"Is JC home?" Megan asked in her ear.

"Yes!" Rachel laughed.

"What the hell?" JC exclaimed as he came up behind her, finally realizing what she was laughing at.  "Where did you...how did you find this?" He asked.  Rachel tried to hold in her laughter but she just couldn't. 

"Her name is Rachel!" She said as she pointed to the screen.  JC's eyes bounced back and forth between her and the computer screen, his cheeks turning red.  "I found this picture of you," Rachel said--still giggling--as she minimized the screen and showed him her desktop.  JC rolled his eyes.  "And then Megan found the video on youtube and I've never laughed so hard in my life!" She finished as he sat down beside her and attempted to take her computer away.  "Oh, no you don't!" She said, grabbing it back from him.  "I have to see how it ends!"  She laughed.  JC groaned as he got up from the table. 

"Are you still watching?" Megan asked.

"Yeah." Rachel replied pushing play again.  She giggled as the cartoon JC explained why he'd been kidnapping people and forging Valentine's Day letters.  "Awe!" Rachel said, looking up at her boyfriend.  "You were jealous!" He just rolled his eyes as he turned and opened the fridge.

"Wait for it..." Megan said over the phone.

"What?" Rachel asked then laughed.

"Did you see that cheesy smile?" Megan asked, laughing again.  Rachel joined her, collapsing back against her chair.  "‘All my awards,'" Megan said echoing JC's line again.  "‘All my platinum albums'...ahahahahaha!" Megan laughed. 

"Oh!  My stomach hurts!" Rachel exclaimed.  "But I can't stop laughing!"

"Okay, that was officially the funniest thing I've ever seen!" Megan pronounced as the episode ended.  "But it was kind of irritating how they pronounced his last name and how they had to say his full name, every time."

"Oh, I know." Rachel said, watching as JC turned and left the kitchen.  "It's not Cha-say, like a dance.  It's Chasez.  How hard is it, really?"

"I don't know." Megan giggled.

"Okay," Rachel said, closing her computer.  "I gotta go.  JC's home and he didn't seem too happy about me watching that.  I gotta go see what his deal is."

"Alright." Megan said.  "I'll talk to you later."

"Bye." Rachel hung up the phone as she stood up.  "Jace?" She called out as she left the kitchen.  "Where'd you go?"

"I'm upstairs." She heard him answer.  Rachel hurried up the stairs and walked into their bedroom, smiling as she saw him sitting in the overstuffed chair in the corner--his glasses on and a book open in his hands.

"Are you done laughing at me?" He asked.

"Awe..." She drawled as she walked towards him.  "Don't be mad." She said coming to stand in front of him.  "It was funny!"

"It was a mistake." He mumbled as he lifted the book and began reading again--pretending to ignore her.

"Jace." Rachel said with a giggle as she took the book from him, bending down the corner of the page he was on before putting it on the table beside him.  "Are you embarrassed?" She asked.  He didn't answer so she sat down in his lap.  "Honestly!  Of all the things you've done in the past, you shouldn't be embarrassed about being on Scooby-Doo.  I thought it was sweet--the way we had it all worked out.  It's nice of you to come visit me in between all the stops on your world tour." She giggled.  "I thought we were very mature about the whole thing-how we managed to work out the whole long-distance thing."

"I'd forgotten her name was Rachel." He said, putting his arms around her.  "Ironic, huh?"

"To say the least." Rachel replied, laying her head on his shoulder.  "What are the odds?  Why'd you do it?" She asked.  She felt him shrug.

"It was something I always wanted to do." He said.  "It was my favorite cartoon as a kid.  I used to pretend that Scooby was really my dog."  Rachel looked up at him and smiled.  "I think you're the first person to know all of my secrets." He said.  She leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck as she kissed him. 

"Just so you know." She said pulling back as she ran her fingers through his hair.  "You don't ever have to be jealous of Shaggy over me."  He laughed as he tightened his arms around her and pulled her close.  "Now." She said, snuggling down against him.  "Let's talk about this cabin you bought on the outskirts of town..."  

~~~~~~

May

"You okay?" JC reached over and grabbed Rachel's hand as he exited the freeway. 

"Fine." Rachel smiled as she turned to look at him, but he remained unconvinced.  He glanced back and forth between her and the road a few times. 

"You look like you're about to throw up." He said fighting not to laugh at the expression on her face. 

"I'm fine." She assured him and he gave her hand a squeeze. 

"They're just people." He told her.

"They're your parents." She reminded him dryly.  He chuckled and Rachel turned and looked back out her window.

"Rach..."

"I'm fine." She told him for the third time.  "I'm just a little nervous but I'll be okay.  Once we're there everything will be fine."

JC shook his head as he went back to concentrating on the road.  Last night had been awesome--getting back up on stage in front of an audience...He'd forgotten what a rush performing was.  And the best part?  Rachel had been there every step of the way.  He had enjoyed seeing everything through her eyes for the first time.  He loved knowing she was standing just off stage, watching and enjoying the show and celebrating with him when he finished.  She'd even gone out with him to sign autographs after the show and had met some of the fans with him.  She'd handled everything like a pro--like she handled everything.  Just like he knew she'd handle meeting his parents.

Rachel shifted in her seat nervously as he turned into an older, well-kept neighborhood and he smiled.  He watched out of the corner of his eye as she brought her hand up to her mouth and started chewing on her thumbnail.  "What have you told them about me?" She asked.

He lifted a brow.  "I told them I finally met the woman I was going to spend the rest of my life with." He replied.  Rachel looked at him and he winked at her.  "My mom may ask you about when she's going to get grandchildren, so...be warned." He informed her.  Rachel looked at him in panic and he couldn't help the giggle that escaped.  "I'm joking." He assured her.

"About spending the rest of your life with me or the grandkids?" She asked.

"The grandkids." He told her letting go of her hand as he made a left turn at a stop sign.  "Relax, would ya?" He chuckled.  "It's no big deal, I promise.  They're just a couple of nice, regular people.  You're kind of being ridiculous."

"I know.  I know." Rachel said, taking a deep breath.  "Okay.  I can do this."

"Of course you can." He told her.  "It's not like I'm dropping you off on the corner and saying, ‘see you later.'  I'm going to be there the whole time."

"I know." Rachel nodded.  "So this is where you grew up?"

"Um, no." He shook his head.

"What?" She asked him.

"Well, I grew up in Bowie, yes but not in this neighborhood.  This isn't the house I grew up in." He replied.  "When N SYNC was really popular my parents moved.  Too many people knew where I lived and would call in the middle of the night and camp outside the house.  It got kind of crazy for a while there."

"It's really pretty here." Rachel said and he agreed with her. 

"You should see it in the fall." He told her as he pulled up to the curb outside a modest two-story brick house.

"This is it?" Rachel asked.

"This is it." He nodded.  "This is home.  Well, home in Maryland, anyway.  Come on." He said turning off their rental car and opening his door.

~~~~~

Rachel took one more deep breath as she opened her door then shut it.  Tugging on the hem of her shirt and running a hand through her hair she stepped over to the sidewalk and took JC's outstretched hand.  "It's beautiful." She told him as they walked up the front walkway.  The front door opened before they could knock and Rachel's stomach erupted in a swarm of butterflies as JC let go of her hand and put his arms around a blonde, middle-aged woman. 

"Hey, Mom." He said as she hugged him tightly. 

"I saw you pull up and couldn't wait." Karen said pulling back.  "I've missed you." She said putting her hand to his face.

JC smiled as he turned and grabbed Rachel's hand pulling her up beside him.  "Mom, this is Rachel.  Rachel, this is my mother Karen." JC said, finally introducing the two women.

"It's nice to finally meet you Mrs. Chasez." Rachel said with a smile as she held out her hand.

"Please." Karen said, ignoring Rachel's hand as she hugged her.  "We don't stand on formalities around here.  Call me Karen."

"Karen." Rachel said with a smile as the older woman immediately made her feel more at ease with her easy acceptance and friendly attitude. 

"Come in, come in." She said, ushering them inside.  His mother's genuine smile and the warm, inviting atmosphere of the house made Rachel feel right at home.  They're just regular people.  She reminded herself.   

"Is Dad here?" JC asked.

"He's in the office." Karen said.  "Why don't you go find him, Josh?" She said, linking her arm with Rachel's.  JC looked at Rachel for confirmation that she was okay with this and Rachel nodded.  With a kiss to her cheek he turned and disappeared down the hallway.  "Dinner's still in the oven." Karen told her as she led Rachel into the living room.  "So we have some time to get to know each other."  Rachel smiled as she sat down on the couch beside JC's mother.  "How was the show last night?" She asked.

"It went really well." Rachel replied.  "He did great and the fans really seem to like the new album."

"I'm so glad." Karen smiled.  "We've always been proud of Josh and everything that he's done and accomplished but just between you and me..." She looked over her shoulder to make sure the man they were talking about wasn't within earshot.  "I was kind of disappointed with his first CD."

"You and me both." Rachel informed her with a chuckle.  Karen smiled.

"This new one is so..." Karen put her hand to her chest, searching for the right word.  "It's just him.  You know?  He's been a lot more open and honest with himself and who he is on this CD."

"I know." Rachel nodded.

"And we have you to thank for that." Karen said.

"What?" Rachel asked taken back.  "No." She shook her head.  "No, he had everything but the last song already written before he met me." She assured his mother but Karen shook her head.

"They're different." She said.  Rachel narrowed her eyes in confusion.  Karen leaned closer to Rachel.  "I heard some of the songs when Josh first recorded them years ago--he let me listen to them.  The songs on the album he released are different.  The words are the same on a few of them but a lot of the songs have been changed.  You've changed him." She smiled at Rachel and put her hand over where Rachel had hers in her lap.  "He was floundering for while there.  I could tell he was struggling with finding out who he was as a musician but since he met you he's been more like himself than he's been in a long time." Karen smiled as Rachel blink back the tears that had suddenly formed.  "It's been a long time since I've seen and heard him so happy and nothing makes a mother happier than to know her children are happy--truly happy." Karen put one hand to her chest as she put her other to Rachel's face.  "Thank you."

Rachel leaned forward and put her arms around the woman, taking comfort in the motherly embrace that Karen gave her.  For a brief moment Rachel felt like it was her own mother hugging her and she closed her eyes as she soaked in the feeling.  When the women pulled back and looked at each other Karen smiled and Rachel sniffed while she wiped the tears from her face. 

"So." Karen said patting Rachel's hand.  "Josh tells me you're the best interior designer in L.A."

Rachel chuckled.  "I think he's a little biased." She replied.

"Maybe." Karen said.  "But he told me that even before you two started dating." 

"Well, I'm definitely not the best." Rachel said.  "But it's something I enjoy and I think I have a knack for.  I just finished heading up the design team that did a new corporate office building downtown." She said, telling Karen about her work and answering all the different questions the woman had about everything else.  Where had she grown up?  Did she have any siblings?  What had made her move to L.A.?  What were their plans for the holidays?

"I think it's a little too soon to be planning Christmas, don't you think Mom?" JC said as he and his father came into the room.  "We just barely celebrated Memorial Day."

"It's never too early to start planning Christmas, Joshua.  You know that." Karen replied. 

Rachel stood up as JC reached for her hand and introduced her to his father. 

"It's nice to finally meet the girl Josh's been talking about for the last eight months." Roy said as he too pulled Rachel in for a hug.  Rachel smiled as the embrace reminded her of her own father and she began to wonder why she'd been so afraid to meet these people just a few minutes ago.  As she and JC sat down in the love seat across from his parents, Rachel slipped her hand into his as they all settled into an easy and natural conversation--the topic covering everything from the weather, to the score on the basketball game last night, to politics, to the latest on everyone's career, to what JC's siblings were both up to at the moment.  Rachel sat back, enjoying and joining in on the conversation, until she had to excuse herself to use the restroom. 

As she exited the bathroom she wandered down the hall, her curiosity getting the better of her, when she saw a bunch of pictures hanging up.  With a glance over her shoulder she smiled as she began looking at the family photos that adorned the walls depicting JC and his brother and sister as they'd grown over the years through family snapshots and school pictures.  She especially loved all the young pictures of JC and couldn't help thinking how adorable he'd been as a little boy with his infectious smile and mischievous blue eyes. 

"There you are." JC said, startling her.  Rachel turned to look at him. 

"Sorry." She apologized.  "I couldn't help it." She gestured at the pictures.  He smiled as he came to stand beside her.

"Just don't hold anything you see up here against me." He told her.

"This one's my favorite." She said pointing at a picture of him as a third grader smiling widely at the camera for his school pictures.  Her eyes traveled from the photo of the little boy to the man now standing beside her and she couldn't help but wonder if he knew just how lucky he was to have the family he did then she recalled the different conversations they'd had about his family and the interviews she'd heard where he talked about being adopted.  He knows.  She thought as she wrapped her arms around his arm and went up on her toes to kiss his cheek.  He turned to look at her. 

"You okay?" He asked.

"I'm perfect." She replied as she glanced at his grade school photo once more.  And one day I want to have a little boy that looks just like his daddy.  She though as she followed him back out into the family room.

~~~~~ 

JC sat back in his chair after dinner and watched as Rachel helped his mom clean up.  He smiled as he observed the two women interacting and talking with each other as if they'd known each other for years instead of just hours. 

"She's a great girl, Josh." His father said, pulling him from his thoughts.  He turned to look at his dad.  "You got lucky with that one." Roy pointed at Rachel.

"You have no idea." JC replied under his breath.

"Do you think we're going to be planning a wedding soon?" Roy asked.

"Someday." JC answered.  "We haven't really talked a whole lot about it but it's something we're both thinking about."

"What's the hold up?" His dad asked.

JC blew out a breath as he shrugged.  He leaned his elbows on the table and began playing with his napkin.  "Old habits die hard?" He offered. 

Roy nodded thoughtfully.  "You just make sure you do whatever it takes to keep her." He said.  "Even if it means doing something you might not think is necessary."

JC let his eyes move to Rachel once more, then back to his father.  "I will." He promised as he sat back in his chair.  I will.

Chapter End Notes:

Okay, true story: I didn't know about JC's Scooby-Doo episode until about two weeks ago and my discovery of it happened like I wrote in the book.  My best friend and I found it one night while we were surfing around the internet (each of us asking "Why the hell haven't we seen this before?!") and I have never laughed so hard in my life! I had no idea the girl's name was Rachel until I watched it!  To quote Rachel, "What are the odds?"  LOL.  Guess it just goes to prove these two are meant to be together, right?  :) 

Here's the link on youtube for the video for those who haven't had the pleasure yet...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GRTDFhZEXA

And here's the "Newsies" picture Rachel found...http://www.nsync-fans.com/images/ann7.jpg

Merry Christmas!!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc