Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: see previous chapters...I don't know them (though this story is evidence that I wish I did) and no copyright infringement is intended :)

"This is the first wall we want to knock down." Rachel said, placing her hand on the vertical surface in the front room as she walked Tony Franco (the general contractor her firm had on payroll) through JC's house on Friday afternoon.  JC had let them in but had then disappeared leaving a slightly disappointed Rachel to educate Tony on the design plans.  JC wanted to do this job one room at a time-making the entire project more expensive but less intrusive-and, since he was nowhere to be found, Rachel had made the executive decision to start with the front room.

"So we're knockin' it down and puttin' a archway here instead?" Tony asked in clarification, his accent giving away his Brooklyn upbringing. 

"Yep." Rachel smiled.  "The room is too closed off.  I want to open it up to the rest of the house so it'll get used more.  It's a great space but it's not being utilized."

"Whatever you want, girlie." Tony ginned at her as he looked down at the plans in his hands as he walked around the room.  Rachel stood back, her mind visualizing what this room would look like when it was finished.  The archway would, like she had told Tony, open the room up-letting in more natural light and allowing for better flow to the rest of the house.  As soon as the construction was finished she was going to paint the walls, add some drapes, recover the couches and in the corner-Rachel turned and smiled-a shiny new baby grand piano. 

She sighed, as she closed her eyes picturing the man who owned the house sitting at the keyboard of that instrument.  She knew he had a home studio downstairs with every sort of musical instrument one could probably want, but there was nothing like the sound that came from a baby grand.  And it was a crime, in Rachel's book, that JC had gone this long without having one in his house.  A house was an extension of the people who lived there and for there to be no indication whatsoever that a musician (especially a musician as talented and passionate as JC was) resided here was a sad fact that Rachel was working hard on rectifying. 

"Now, how come this guy doesn't want to do everything at the same time?" Tony asked, pulling Rachel from her thoughts.  She turned to look at the man, as he stood looking at the blueprints in his hands.  He was about six feet tall and looked like the typical New York Italian-dark hair that was starting to grey at the temples, friendly blue eyes and mustache.   

"He told me he only wants to do one room at a time."  Rachel shrugged.  "I told him it would be more expensive and drag it out longer, but if that's what he wants...it's his checkbook."

"I'd love to have money like that to burn." Tony observed. 

"Wouldn't we all." Rachel chuckled.  "Come on," she turned and walked out of the room.  "I'll show you the other wall we're going to move later."

~~~~~~ 

JC sat at the keyboard in his studio, listening to the sound of Rachel's laughter as it drifted downstairs.  He'd long ago taken off his headphones and for the past twenty minutes had just been sitting at the mixing board listening to Rachel explain to the contractor all the changes she wanted to make to his house.  The contractor-Tony, JC remembered-had a thick New York accent that kind of reminded him of Joey and made him smile as he wondered how his friend and former band mate was doing.  It had been a while since he'd talked to Joey and JC made a mental note to call him up later. 

After he watched another five minutes tick by on the clock JC realized he wasn't going to get any work done as long as she was here.  He removed the headphones that had been resting around his neck and stood.  Leaving the studio he wandered upstairs, following the sound of Rachel's voice until he found her and Tony in the kitchen discussing the changes she wanted to make to the lighting fixtures in the room.  JC smiled as he leaned against the wall and watched Rachel in action.  Her blonde hair, which was tied back in a simple pony tail today swung as she moved about the room and an excited smile lit her face.   

He'd looked over the design notes and sketches she'd left on Monday (chagrinned to realize that he basically had no idea what he had agreed to when she left) and had been impressed with her designs.  It was hard to believe that she had only just graduated.  She seemed so confident in her ideas and knew exactly what she wanted, but she wasn't cocky about it.  She had listened to what he'd told her and had incorporated his thoughts and ideas into her designs. 

"So we're knockin' down the wall in the front room, moving the wall in the great room back six feet, and doin' some rewirin' in here?" Tony asked. 

"That's it." Rachel said. 

"That's it?" JC asked sarcastically, finally making his presence known.  He smiled as she spun around and looked at him, her eyes wide in surprise.  "Don't you think you're doing enough?" He teased.  Rachel smiled.  "This whole project is costing me too much as it is.  I don't know if I could afford anything else."

"You'll thank me later when it's all done." She replied, confidently.  "But don't worry.  If I get anymore ideas about moving walls I'll let you know." Her eyes sparkled as she continued smiling up at him, it was ridiculous the happiness she was feeling right now.  JC had no idea the endorphins he released in her body.  What was it about the boy that made her so happy? 

"My guys'll be here startin' on Monday." Tony said, forcing JC to tear his eyes away from Rachel, looking over at the older guy.  "We've got a couple other projects we're workin' on right now, but this looks pretty routine.  We should have it done by the end of the week, then it's up to this lady here to finish the room and let us know when you're ready to move the other wall." 

"Are you going to be here?" JC asked, looking at Rachel. 

"Do you want me to be here?" Rachel asked him, silently hoping the answer would be yes.   

JC knew what his answer should be (‘Oh no, don't worry about it.  As long as they know what they're doing') but instead he found himself telling her yes.   

"Alright." Rachel smiled.  "Tony I'll meet you here at eight?  Sound good?" She asked as Tony rolled up the blueprints he had been holding and put a rubber band around the papers.   

"Bright and early." Tony said.  "Nice meetin' you." He held his hand out to JC.  

"You too." JC said, returning the firm handshake.   

"I'll let myself out." Tony said, as he walked out of the kitchen. 

"He's a great guy." Rachel said, placing her sketchbook into a red messenger bag that was laying on the kitchen table.  "You shouldn't have any problems with him or his guys." 

"I'm not worried." JC assured her as he turned and opened one of his cabinets.  "You want a drink of something?" He asked removing a glass. 

"No thanks." Rachel replied, slinging the bag over her shoulder.  "I've got to get back to the office."  JC set the empty glass on the countertop and turned to follow her as she walked out of the kitchen.  "Oh!" She turned around quickly, making him do a quickstep to keep from running into her.  She rummaged through her bag.  "Here." She held a book out to him. 

He smiled as he took it from her.  "Did you like it?" He asked. 

"Yeah." She smiled.  "It was really good."  

"And?" He questioned, cocking his head to the side slightly. 

"And...better than the movie." She admitted with a chuckle.  

"Told ya." He winked at her.

"Yeah." She smiled.  "Well," Rachel hiked the bag's strap higher on her shoulder.  "Um, have a good weekend."  She offered. 

"Yeah, you too." He said, feeling a little disappointed.    

"I'll see you on Monday.  I'll let myself out." 

JC watched as she turned again and left the room.  He blew out a breath and leaned back against the countertop as he listened to the sound of his front door closing.  He dug his hands through his hair.  What is it about that girl? He asked himself.  Why can't I remember who she is? And why is it bothering me so much?  He turned and grabbed the glass he'd gotten down and put it under the faucet, filling it, and then took several swallows.  He put the glass and his hands on the counter as he hung his head. 

He had gone through his phone (several times) hoping there would be a ‘Rachel' in his address book.  But would you believe it?  No Rachel-several Ashley's, a couple Lindsay's, but no Rachel's.  He had gone through his schedule for the past six months running through each event he'd been to, searching his mental files for a beautiful blonde with big brown eyes, a dancer's body and a killer smile.   

Nothing. 

JC straightened and finished off his water, placing the glass in the sink and heading back to the studio.  If there was anything that could help him work out his frustrations over a girl it was his music.  JC snorted as he sat down once again at the sound board.  After all, how many hits have I been able to produce with this feeling?  Maybe that's what this album is missing-a little frustration.  He put his headphones on and began listening to the track he had been working on earlier.  As the beat started he closed his eyes and let his body move to the rhythm.  His trained ear listened for the parts that were missing-stopping, tweaking, replaying and listening over and over again until he was a little more satisfied with the song.  It's getting there. He thought.  But it's still not perfect.

When his phone vibrated in his pocket, JC pulled it out, looking up at the clock on the wall, surprised to realize he'd been working for two hours straight.  He took the headphones off.  Chase the ID on his phone said.  

"Hey man." He said, leaning back in the chair.  "What's up?" He asked his friend. 

"A couple of us are going out tonight," Chase said.  "You up for it?"

"Sure.  Yeah." JC said.  "When are you heading out?" 

"Around nine." Chase answered.  "We're going to that new club down on fifth.  Ashley and Ronnie are coming."

JC groaned.  Chase always had a girl he was trying to hook him up with.  The guy was fun to hang out with, a good friend, but when it came to matchmaking...JC sighed.  His choices often left much to be desired.  The two guys had met through their agent a few years ago.  Although there was no truth to the rumors that circulated about the two of them being a couple a few years back, Chase was someone JC enjoyed spending time with.  "How old is she?" He asked. 

"Which one?" Chase laughed. 

"Whichever one is hoping I'm going to take her home tonight."

"Ronnie?" He asked innocently.  JC rolled his eyes.  "She's legal, don't worry." Chase laughed again.

"How long has she been legal?" JC asked.  "A week?"  There was no denying he liked girls.  He liked them a lot.  But lately he'd begun to feel dissatisfied with all the women he'd met.  All the women? His conscious asked, a clear picture of Rachel wearing the simple black pants and white blouse she'd been wearing today as she stood in his kitchen popped into his mind.  He pushed the thought back.  He needed to get out tonight.  Have some fun.  Flirt.  Dance.  Have a few drinks.  Then maybe he'd be able to get over this sudden fixation he had with his interior designer.

"No." Chase answered.  "She's like twenty-four, or something.  So I think she's old enough for ya.  You need to get laid." Chase stated. 

You're telling me.  JC thought.  "Hey, listen I've got another call coming through." He lied.  "I gotta go.  I'll meet you guys there."

"Sounds good." 

JC hung up the phone then set it up on the sound board.  He turned and swiveled his chair back and forth a few times before he got up again and walked out of the studio, wandering back upstairs.  The silence of the house seemed to ring in his ears.  It was only recently he had begun to notice how quiet his life had become and it left him feeling out of sorts.  He spent most of his time now in the studio working on his music, tweaking each track until he felt it was absolutely perfect, closing himself off more and more each day.  It was almost like he was becoming a hermit but since he'd been so distracted lately he'd been spending more time out of the studio than usual and had come to realize what a lonely life he really had.  Besides his family (whom he only saw a couple times a year) and the guys from the group (whom he only saw when either they were in town or he was in Orlando) he really didn't have very many close friends that he spent his time with.  And until the new season of Dance Crew began filming again, he really didn't have anything to occupy his time besides the few songs he was working on; and that was a strange feeling for him.  It was almost as if he didn't know what to do with himself now that he had all this free time. 

He'd spent almost everyday of his life since the age of thirteen, when he'd started on MMC, keeping busy with something relating to show business.  After the Club was cancelled he and Justin had started working with Chris on getting the group started and from then until they'd decided to take a break in 2002, it had been a nonstop roller coaster ride.  After that, he had released Schizophrenic and done all the promotion for it, trying not to let Justin's almost instantaneous and crazy success make him too bitter.  But, when it became apparent that he wasn't the one in the group that was destined to be the star anymore he had given up on his solo career for the time being, instead concentrating on some of the different projects that came his way, trying to stretch himself and grow as a person and as an artist. 

As he walked back into the kitchen his eyes landed on the book he had lent Rachel and which she had returned to him earlier.  He picked it up, and thumbed through the pages till he found his favorite passage, surprised to find a small bright pink post-it note stuck to the page.  I love this part.  She had written.  He smiled as he lifted the post-it with his finger and read the passage he had underlined a few weeks ago.

"Life is a series of pulls back and forth.  You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else.  Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't.  You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted. 

"A tension of opposites, like a pull on a rubber band.  And most of us live somewhere in the middle."

Sounds like a wrestling match, I say.

"A wrestling match." He laughs.  "Yes, you could describe life that way."

So which side wins, I ask?

"Which side wins?" 

He smiles at me, the crinkled eyes, the crooked teeth.

"Love wins.  Love always wins."

JC snapped the book closed, a smile still on his face as he thought of Rachel.  It had been a while since he'd met a girl he could connect with on more than one level.  It was apparent (sometimes painfully so) that he was attracted to her physically, but knowing that they had a common interest in something outside of the work she was doing for him and outside of the sexual magnetism he felt towards her made her more enticing to him.  He found himself wanting to sit down and talk about the book with her. To hear her opinions and what she truly felt about what the author was trying to get across in his story.   

Most of the women he had met in his life had the IQ of a glass of water, and finding a woman he could have an intelligent conversation with was near impossible it seemed.  He was at a stage in his life now that he didn't want someone who only looked good (although looks were important, no question).  He wanted someone who was smart; someone who could challenge and stimulate him intellectually.  He was past the point of wanting a groupie.  He wanted someone real.  Someone genuine.  Someone who could look beyond the image.  Someone who didn't want him just because of who he was or what he could give her.  Someone who could accept him-flaws and all-and be proud to stand by his side.     

He shook his head at his romantic thoughts and sighed as he walked out of the kitchen.  Chase is right. He thought as he headed upstairs.  I need to get laid.          

~~~~~~~~

As JC walked into the crowded nightclub with Chase and the girls, his eyes quickly scanned the dance floor, taking in the swaying mass of bodies pulsing to the music.  Ronnie, the petite red-head Chase had pawned off on him came and stood for a moment by his side.  She left him only a few seconds later as Chase and his date, Ashley, began making their way towards an empty table.   

JC however, stood in place, his eyes locked on one body in particular on the dance floor.  He watched mesmerized as the girl moved.  Her long blonde hair hung straight down her back.  The lights flashing overhead made the skin of her shoulders glow and his mouth went dry as he watched her hips sway seductively to the beat.  Almost before he knew what he was doing, he took a step towards the girl. 

"Yo, Jace!" Chase called out.  JC jerked his head to the side, snapped from the daze he had been in.  "You gonna join us man, or what?" 

"Yeah, I'm coming." He said reluctantly, his brows furrowing as he turned.  He looked at the girl once more over his shoulder as he made his way to the table and slid into the booth besides Ronnie.  She smiled up at him and linked her arm through his, leaning her head against his shoulder.  JC fought not to roll his eyes.  She was a bit too touchy for his tastes-she'd been clinging to him since the moment she'd been introduced to him.  JC cringed as Chase said something funny and Ronnie laughed.  The girl's laugh was loud and high-pitched and it grated on his nerves.  He was tempted to feel embarrassed as a few people from the surrounding tables looked over at them.  Instead, JC just made a mental note to slap Chase upside the head the next time he got a chance, and tell him to butt the hell out of his love life.

As he pretended to keep up with the conversation going on around him, JC found his eyes kept stealing back to the blonde on the dance floor.  The jeans she wore rode low on her hips while the black halter she wore rode up high, leaving a lot of skin exposed.  He watched, fixated, hoping she would turn around so he could see what she really looked like, but just his luck-the girl stayed dancing with her back to him and the low lighting in the club made it hard to make out her features when she did turn her head.  What was it with him and blondes recently-first Rachel and now this chick?  He shook his head.  I must be going through a blonde phase right now.  He took a drink of his beer and placed his arm up on the back of the booth as he looked over at his "date".  She was cute, but he found it interesting how her looks did almost nothing for him. 

JC turned his attention once more to the dance floor and watched the way the blonde danced, her fluid and graceful movements giving away the fact that she'd had some professional dance training-several years from the looks of it.  Just as he was about to get up and forget about the group he was with and join the girl on the floor, the song ended. He watched as she made her way to a table of girls on the opposite side of the dance floor.

"Let's dance." Ronnie said beside him.

"What?" He asked looking down at her, confusion in his eyes.  She smiled up at him and he didn't miss the way she leaned forward slightly, her position and the low cut of her dress leaving little to his imagination.  JC just sighed as he took another swig of his beer.  He stood up and offered his hand to the girl, knowing he couldn't be rude. Ronnie plastered herself on him as soon as they hit the floor, grinding her body against his in a way that, he assumed, was supposed to excite him.   

I'm getting too old for this. He thought as he placed his hands on Ronnie's shoulders and pushed her back slightly.  She looked up at him with a pout and JC wondered how much longer he had to stay until it wouldn't be considered rude of him to leave.     

~~~~~~

"Okay, you will never believe who just walked in!"   

"Who?" Rachel asked the girls from work that she'd come to the club with.  Taking a drink of her Cosmo she turned and looked over the crowd.  She smiled as she looked over at the guy she'd been dancing with.  He smiled back and held up his glass to her from where he was leaning against the bar.  

"JC Chasez!" Nicole pointed across the dance floor, grinning excitedly.  "You know, the guy from N SYNC?" Rachel quickly turned back to the table and fought not to choke on her drink.  The three girls she'd come with looked at her in curiosity as she coughed a few times.  Rachel took in their excited expressions as they all stared at JC and wondered what they would think if they knew of the connection she now had with the guy. 

The four girls-Rachel, Nicole, Kim and Charlotte-had all been hired around the same time and Rachel enjoyed working with them.  They were all cute and friendly, and they were always making each other laugh about something at the office.  They had invited her to go out with them tonight and, since she was always up for a night of drinking and dancing, Rachel and quickly agreed.  The evening had been fun so far; she had danced with a couple of really hot guys, gotten a few numbers and just had fun flirting, laughing and enjoying herself.  But, as she turned once more and looked over at where JC was dancing with a short red-head in an even shorter black dress that left almost nothing to the imagination, Rachel's heart skipped and her stomach flipped. The girl he was with was cute and he looked like he was having a good time.

"Aren't you at all excited?" Nicole asked, flipping her curly brown hair over her shoulders.  "I'd heard this was the new hot spot, but I didn't actually think we'd see anyone interesting tonight."  The girl grinned, her green eyes sparkling excitedly.  "Do you think there will be paparazzi outside?"

"Yeah, funny story." Rachel laughed nervously.  "I uh...I kinda know him."    

Nicole, Kim and Charlotte all sat there staring at her like she'd sprouted a second head.   

"What?" Rachel asked, trying to appear calm as she took another drink.

"You...know him?" Kim asked, leaning towards Rachel.   

"Yeah." Rachel turned to look back at JC, her heart skipping as she watched him smiling at the girl he was dancing with.  She felt fluttery inside at seeing his gorgeous smile.  She turned back to her coworkers and watched as the three of them looked at each other in disbelief then back at Rachel.

"How do you know him?" Charlotte asked, her dark eyes moving over Rachel's shoulders to once more stare at JC.

"He's my new client." Rachel answered honestly. 

"I don't believe you." Kim spoke up after a few more seconds of silence. 

"What do you mean you don't believe me?" Rachel asked feeling annoyed.  "Why would I make something like that up?"   

"No offence, but why would Matt let you work with JC?"  Kim asked.  The other girls all leveled their eyes at Rachel, disbelief clearly written across all their faces as they waited for her answer. 

"Believe me, I was just as surprised as you are." Rachel said, taking another sip of her drink, hoping the girls didn't notice the slight shake of her hand.

"If you know him...prove it." Nicole said, raising a dark brow in challenge as she took a drink of her beer.  "I'll bet you dinner and pedicures next Friday," she pointed at Rachel, "That you can't get him to come over here and talk to us."

Rachel straightened and looked at all three girls.  "Alright." She said, putting her glass down on their table.  She turned and pulled on the hem of her top.  "Watch this." She said over her shoulder and began walking towards JC. 

Great.  This is great, Rachel. She scolded herself.  Look what you've gotten yourself into now.  You just can't resist a challenge can you? And you're not even drunk.  Where's Megan when I need her?  Rachel slowly made her way across the floor, weaving between all the people dancing, her heart picking up speed with each step she took.  It was one thing to interact with JC in a professional manner, but quite another to presume he'd want to interact with her outside of work.  He may not even want to admit he knows me. Rachel thought.  Why would he?  I'm just the lowly interior designer redecorating his house.  I'm no one important.

She glanced over her shoulders at her friends and cringed when she saw Nicole's smug smile and Kim and Charlotte's expectant faces, all three girls were watching her intently.  No chance of backing out now. She thought.  They're all just waiting for me to fall flat on my face. 

Rachel saw the girl JC had been dancing with leave and she felt her heart drop.  She expected him to follow the girl thus crushing her chance at winning the bet and proving Nicole wrong, but he stayed where he was.  Rachel was curious as she watched him glance around the club, his eyes intent and watchful, as if he were searching for someone.

Please don't blow me off, JC. She begged him silently as she approached him.  She turned around as he turned her way feeling panicky.  What am I doing? She thought.  This is crazy.  He's never going to... 

"Rachel?" 

Rachel's turned quickly and her heart literally stopped for a second as her eyes connected with JC's.  The disbelief she heard in his voice was also clearly written on his face as his eyes left hers and traveled over her body.  She felt tingly inside.  He was looking at her as if he couldn't believe his eyes.  As those disbelieving blue eyes connected once more with hers she couldn't help smiling at the amazement she read there.

He looked great.  No-better than great.  He looked downright mouthwatering.  He was dressed similarly to the way he had been that first day they'd met at his house right down to the black ball cap he wore.  He hadn't shaved again before coming tonight and Rachel found herself wanting to reach up and run her hand over the scruff covering his jaw.  She clenched her hands at her sides as she smiled up at him.

"Hey." She said.  "I thought it was you." 

"What are you doing here?" He asked his brows furrowing slightly.

"I came with some girls from work." Rachel answered turning and pointing back at her table.  She couldn't help the smug feeling she got when she saw Nicole, Kim and Charlotte all staring at her with their mouths open-the three of them clearly in shock that she was actually talking to JC.  Yeah, that's right. She thought.  In your face!  She turned back to JC with a smile.  "I don't want to take up your time," She looked over his shoulder, "I saw you dancing with someone and I know you're probably here with some friends.  I know this is a little weird, but I was wondering if you could do me a favor?" She looked at him hopefully.

"What do you need?" he asked.  His eyes ran over her body again, as if to convince himself that what he had seen earlier was in fact the truth. 

"Well, the girls I came with don't believe that we actually know each other.  I was hoping you would...come back to my table with me and help me win a bet.  It'd just be for a second." She added quickly.  "Just to say hi and prove that I'm right?"  She smiled up at him.

"What're you going win?" He asked, his mouth lifting in a grin.

"Dinner." She smiled at him.  "And pedicures."   

He held out his arm.  "After you." He said his blue eyes sparkling.  Rachel's smile grew as she turned on her heels and headed back towards her table, all the while unaware of the wide-eyed look JC was giving her because of the sudden realization that had just hit him.

~~~~~~~~~~

JC's mind and body were reeling, trying to recover from the fact that the blonde he had been admiring earlier was Rachel.  The same girl he had found himself so obsessed about recently.  He had been completely caught off guard when he had turned and seen her approaching him, the amazement evident, he was sure, in his voice and in the fact that he couldn't take his eyes off of her.  As she smiled and turned, leading him back towards her table his eyes moved over her form once again.  From her long legs and shapely behind, to the several inches of skin at her midsection that was revealed and made his mouth water, to the way her hair swayed with each step she took as if calling out to him, his fingers itching to reach out and touch her. 

JC closed his eyes, trying to gets his body's response to her under control.    It was pointless to lust after the girl.  They had a professional relationship and it had to stay that way.  As Rachel weaved around a couple dancing across the floor her hair moved with her revealing a small tattoo on the back of her right shoulder and JC almost tripped over himself; his eyes once again widening in shock.

He had once wondered what an amnesiac felt like when and if they ever regained a lost memory.  Now he knew.  It was a weird sensation as his mind suddenly recalled what had been hidden before and his body suddenly remembered (very vividly) what this girl had felt like in his arms.  He felt like the biggest idiot on the planet.  Rachel!  Of course!  Man am I blind?!  He thought.  Why didn't I see it before? I did have quite a bit to drink that night.  But still... He shook his head in disbelief.  As he continued to follow her across the floor his mind played back the night he'd first met this girl and JC wondered why he hadn't been able to make the connection earlier.

As he followed Rachel down the hall of the reception hall, the sound of the band growing fainter, JC's focus was grabbed by the small tattoo situated on the back of her right shoulder.  It looked like a couple of Chinese symbols and he was surprisingly curious as to their meaning.  Before he could ask, however, Rachel had opened a door and pulled him inside quickly.  As she shut the door behind him she had taken his shirt into her hands, pulling him towards her as she kissed him.  His own hands automatically went to her waist, drawing her against him as her soft lips massaged his own.  He couldn't help the moan that escaped as she flattened her palms against his stomach, her hands and fingers exploring his body through the material of his shirt.

JC broke the contact between them only long enough to turn and switch their positions as he expertly guided her back against the wall, his lips once more claiming hers as he tilted his head to deepen the kiss.  He lifted his hands, unable to keep from touching her.  The softness of her skin captivated him and he stroked his thumbs over her cheeks as he kissed her deeply and kept her pressed between himself and the wall.

He pulled back slightly when she whimpered, giving them both a chance to breathe and asked, "What does it mean?"

"What does what mean?" Rachel asked breathing heavily.  Confusion showed on her face, her beautiful brown eyes looked up at him, causing his knees to feel surprisingly weak.  He'd always been an eye guy-that was usually the first thing he noticed about a girl-and Rachel's eyes were some of the most beautiful and captivating he'd ever seen.  

"Your tattoo." He clarified, leaning towards her and placing a soft kiss on the corner of her jaw. 

"Lucky." She answered her voice low and breathy and making him smile.  She wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned her head back silently giving him permission to continue kissing down her neck and throat.

"And are you?" He straightened and asked her, looking into her eyes. 

"Extremely." She answered softly, her eyes sparkling, before she reached up to kiss him again.

"I could never get a tattoo." He said pulling back before their lips met.  It was obvious he'd had too much to drink.  He normally didn't blurt out this kind of useless information in the midst of a make-out session with a beautiful woman, but he couldn't seem to help himself. Alcohol tended to make him loose his inhibitions and he often found himself revealing useless bits of information to whomever he was around. 

Rachel groaned and dropped her hands to her sides.  She looked up at him, frustration showing in her eyes, making her all the more beautiful. 

"I'm afraid of needles." He told her.    

"I know." Rachel answered.  When he looked at her, wondering how she would know something like that about him, she giggled, her cheeks warming slightly.  "I'm a big fan." She finally answered looking up at him through her lashes.  The almost guilty expression on her face caused him to chuckle.    

JC leaned over her as he placed one hand on the wall beside her, his eyes delving into hers, searching for her true motives.  If she was such a big fan was she doing this just for the bragging rights? Was she doing this just to use him as many had in the past? 

"You're not just doing this to get to Justin are you?" He asked teasingly.  Although in actuality he wasn't teasing.  There had been more than one over the years that had only used him because of his connection to the ‘boy wonder.'  JC lifted his other hand, running his forefinger slowly along the neckline of her dress; smiling when he heard her breath catch slightly.  

Rachel smiled as she looked up at him coyly.  "Justin?" She asked as she slowly wrapped her arms around his neck once more. Her brows furrowed slightly in question.  He wrapped both arms around her waist as she placed a lingering kiss to the side of his mouth.  His eyes slid closed as the sensation of her lips on his skin made his mind go numb.  "Who's Justin?" She asked kissing the opposite corner of his lips then pulling back to look at him. 

JC opened his eyes and grinned as he reached a hand up and rubbed his thumb over her bottom lip.  "Good answer." He said, once more closing the distance between them. 

Rachel groaned again and JC decided it was pretty much the sexiest thing he'd ever heard.  She kept one arm around his neck, her other hand sliding down his chest between them, making him shiver slightly as it came to rest over his heart.  He wrapped his arms around her, drawing her away from the wall and firmly against his body.   

After awhile JC pulled back.  Rachel reached a hand up and touched his face, the look in her eyes making his fuzzy head clear a little.  She smiled up at him in wonder and one of his hands left her waist, brushing some of her dark brown hair away from her face. He smiled once more before his lips captured hers again, his fingertips gently caressing her incredibly soft skin.

As Rachel came to a stop at her table, the three girls she had pointed to moments ago staring at him in shock, JC fought not to stare at her.  But he couldn't help himself.  Her hair had been dyed that night at the wedding and he mentally kicked himself for not being able to see beyond that insignificant detail.  Rachel looked up at him expectantly, those same beautiful eyes that had been his downfall a year ago, and had managed to ensnare him once again, watched him; curiosity burning in their depths as her brows furrowed slightly at his continued silence.  JC knew he probably looked like a fool as he stood there looking at her-really seeing her for the first time-but all he wanted to do was take in her presence.   

Those minutes spent in her arms at Jackson's wedding over a year ago had been incredible and JC wanted to find out if kissing Rachel again would be as mind blowing as it had been the first time.   He had kicked himself over and over for not trying harder at convincing her to come back to his hotel with him.  Instead he had stood there like a love-struck schoolboy and let her walk away from him. 

After he had regained control of his body he had left the wedding, knowing that going back in and sitting next to her again would have been too difficult.  Difficult in the respect that he wasn't sure he'd be able to keep his hands off the girl and frankly that had scared him.  Even being as intoxicated as he was JC had sensed there was something different about Rachel; something that intrigued him.  Something he wanted to explore.   But he was thirty-one-in the prime of his life-and not really looking for a deep connection with a woman.   

Oh what a difference a year could make.  

As he smiled politely and greeted the girls as Rachel introduced him.  JC kept a steady eye on her.  He now understood why he hadn't been able to recall her at any of the events he'd been to-he hadn't gone far enough back in his schedule.  He also now knew why her name wasn't in the address book on his phone.   

When he had woken up the next day in his hotel room his head pounding and his mouth feeling as dry as a desert, he had blindly reached for his phone on the bedside table.  He wanted to call her to find out how long she was in town and to see whether or not she wanted to get together again before she left.  However, as he sat up in bed, JC found his phone was missing.  He sat there, trying to remember where he had put it.  He searched his pants pockets.  He searched under the bed thinking it had just fallen down.  He called the front desk to see if someone had found it and turned it in.  He searched his car several times and even called the reception hall-all without any luck.  His phone had mysteriously disappeared and with it, any connection he had had to Rachel.  

JC had wracked his brain for days trying to remember if Jackson had ever told him Rachel's last name.  But he couldn't come up with anything.  So much for Googling her. He thought.  He knew she would never contact him.  How could she?  His personal contact information was guarded so heavily it was almost ridiculous.  When he had met with Jackson a few months later to go over some financial information JC had been tempted to ask him about Rachel, but he didn't want to come off looking foolish.  Besides, it had been almost four months.  Too much time had passed he told himself.  Calling her now would just be awkward.  JC pushed his memories of her to the back of his mind and went on with his life, all the while unaware that up until the day he became her client, Rachel was still holding out hope that he would one day call her.

~~~~~ 

"Rachel says she's your new designer." Nicole said, after shaking JC's hand.  "Is that true?"

Rachel looked over at JC, only to find him looking at her...again.  The boy hadn't been able to keep his eyes off of her since she'd walked up to him and said hi a few minutes ago.  You'd think he'd never seen a woman at a club before.  He was acting like an seventeen-year-old at his first keg party instead of the world-wise thirty-two year old he was.  What's wrong with you? She wanted to ask, but knew she couldn't.  They didn't have that kind of relationship with each other no matter how she might like to pretend otherwise with Megan.  Technically he was her boss and she knew that hoping for anything more from him at this point was ridiculous.

"Yeah." JC said, his blue eyes finally turning from her and looking at Nicole.  Rachel breathed a sigh of relief as his intense gaze released her.  It was very unnerving having him look at her like that.  It was a look that made her stomach flip excitedly while kind of made her want to throw up at the same time.  "She's helping me redo my house.  I think that qualifies her as winning the bet, am I right?" He asked with a smile. 

Rachel fought the smug feeling coursing through her at Nicole's stunned expression.  She raised her glass in salute to the girl as she quickly downed the rest of her drink. 

"Rachel?" JC turned back to her.

"Yeah?" She looked up at him, her heart pounding as that look was once more on his face.  She knew he was going to ask her to dance and she didn't know if her heart could take being that close to him again.  What is it with the two of us dancing when we're drunk? She wondered.  Although...if dancing with him leads to another make-out session like last time I'm in!  She smiled as she imagined kissing JC again.   

"Do you--" 

"Hey, baby." A masculine voice behind her interrupted JC.  Rachel turned, ready to bawl this new guy out for calling her ‘baby', but stopped when she saw the guy standing behind her.  She felt one brow rise as she took in his appearance.  He was tall, with blonde hair and green eyes.  He was muscular and the tight white shirt he wore worked well to show off his abs and Pecs.  "If I told you, you had a great body would you hold it against me?" He flashed a mischievous grin at her and Rachel couldn't help laughing at the cheesy pick up line. 

JC snorted beside her as he folded his arms across his chest.  Rachel looked over at him, taking in his hostile body language and the cold look he was giving this guy.  JC's eyes narrowed and he took a small step forward-almost as if he were trying to stake his claim on her.  Rachel couldn't help laughing again.  Yeah, cuz that's going to happen.  She thought.  She needed to get over this infatuation she had with JC and this guy seemed to be just what the doctor had ordered.  Rachel stepped forward and placed her hand on the new guy's arm.   

"Let's go, hot stuff." She said. 

"David." He replied. 

"David." Rachel repeated with a smile.  "Wait." She said, turning back to JC.  "What were you going to say?" 

"Huh?" He asked, looking at her in confusion.   

"Were you going to ask me something?" She asked.

"Oh." He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck.  "No.  It was..nothing.  Nevermind."  

Rachel looked at him for a moment, looking into his eyes.  "Alright." She smiled.  "I'll see you on Monday, JC." She said as David turned, taking both of her hands in his and began moving with her across the dance floor.  Rachel danced with David for several songs trying to make her mind forget the recent exchange with JC.  What was he going to ask me? She silently wondered.  Rachel succeeded, for a little while, in pushing him from her thoughts, but soon found her eyes roaming the club, searching for a familiar black ball cap.  She stopped dancing, her spirits falling as she watched him leave the club, the short red-head he'd been dancing with earlier on his arm.  She's not even his type. Rachel thought.  Why does she get to leave with him?  It should be... She tried not to finish her thought but it came anyway.  Me.  It should be me.  Damn it, JC!  Why don't you remember me? Was I really that forgettable?  She knew he had probably kissed hundreds of girls, but the fact that they could share something that intense and a year later come to find out he had no recollection of the event whatsoever wasn't doing much for Rachel's self-confidence at the moment. 

David grabbed her arm, spinning her around and pulling her against him once more.  Rachel looked up at the guy.  "I'm sorry." She said.  "I have to go." 

"Wait.  Come on, baby." He plead 

"Don't call me baby." Rachel replied somewhat hostile, slipping from his arms.  Nicole, Kim and Charlotte had apparently all found dance partners, because the three of them were gone when Rachel got back to the table.  Looking around to see if she could spot any of them, Rachel finally gave up.  Making her way to the front she retrieved her purse from the coat check-in and stepped out into the cooler night air.  Taking a few deep breaths she slowly made her way across the parking lot to her little Volkswagen.  Normally, by this time on a Friday night she'd be plastered-unable to think clearly, much less drive.  But, since moving to L.A. and losing her live-in designated driver (a.k.a. Megan) Rachel had become a more responsible drinker.  She still liked to party and have a good time, but knew what her limits were and since she had driven herself tonight her limit was one.   

As she slipped behind the wheel and left the parking lot, Rachel reached for the radio turning it to one of the local dance stations.  She couldn't help laughing and shaking her head as the familiar notes of N SYNC's "Bye, Bye, Bye" filled her car.  I think this is my theme song.  Why am I always walking away from him? Rachel chuckled at the irony as she reached for her phone and flipped it open, intent on calling her best friend-until she realized what time it was.  Rachel had never despised the hour difference between Los Angeles and Phoenix more.  Megan was already asleep and would kill her if she called right now, just to whine and complain about the fact that JC had left the club with the girl he'd come in with. 

I wonder what he was going to ask me.  Rachel thought as the song continued and JC's voice filled her car.  She reached to turn the radio off as her heart suddenly felt heavy.  She just couldn't handle listening to this song right now.  As her car became quiet Rachel's thoughts inevitably returned to the scene earlier with JC. 

"I bet he was probably just going to ask me something about the house." She murmured quietly.   

What if he asked you to dance? Her conscious asked. Would you have? 

"Uh...yeah!" She answered out loud and then rolled her eyes. 

What if that led to him asking you to go home with him again? 

"What if?"  She'd definitely gone off the deep end-having a conversation with herself about whether or not she would have slept with JC Chasez if he had asked her to go home with him again.   

Would you have gone?  Or would you have chickened out...like last time?   

Rachel sighed.  "This is ridiculous." She grumbled.  

He probably wasn't even going to ask me that.  Like I said, it was probably just something about the house.  Besides, he was with that red-head.  And he's JC Chasez!   

"Ahhhh!" She screamed out.  "Why?  Why?  Why?" She groaned.  "Why do I have this hang up over him?"  Rachel sighed.  "And why don't Megan and I live in the same time zone?"  

Chapter End Notes:
Book section taken from "Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom.  If you haven't read it...you should!  It's a great book :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc drunkjc