Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for reading!!
When I woke up I felt my head throbbing and my stomach turning. I slowly opened my eyes and my headache got even bigger even though I didn’t think it was possible. The phone rang and I reached for it, closing my eyes to make my head pound a little less. “Hello?” I asked softly, as soon as I spoke I realized my throat was in trouble as well

“Hey, are you alright?” I heard Justin’s voice and he made me feel better just by hearing him.

“Um… yeah I just feel like I was run over by a bus”

I heard him chuckle, “What’s wrong?”

“My head’s pounding, my stomach hurts, I’m sweaty, my throat is killing” I paused and swallowed so my throat would hurt a little less, “I can go on”

“It’s cool” he laughed, “I was going to see if you guys wanted to do something”

“Oh, thanks though. Vanessa has a birthday party at four and I have to take her to get a present”

“Let me take her out of your hands for a little while. I’ll take her to find something and take her to the party”

“You don’t have to do that. I’m ok”

“Yeah, I can tell” he said sarcastically, “I’ll come over now and get her ready. We’ll go shopping and to the park or something then I’ll take her to the party and come over”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. I’m leaving now”

“Mommy” I heard Vanessa come into my room

“Hi baby, don’t get too close I’m sick”

“Oh” she stopped in her tracks, “I’ll take care of you. Do you want some ginger ale? Does your tummy hurt?”

“Yes” I laughed as I sat up, “But I don’t want you to pour it”

“I’ll get a can, ok?”

“OK baby” I smiled as I pulled a sweatshirt over my head, I’m going from being hot and sweaty to being cold.

Vanessa came back in my room a few minutes later, “Do you want some soup baby? It will make your tummy better” Vanessa said seriously, she just loves pretending she’s the mother when I’m sick

“I’m ok thank you sweetie”

“You rest, I’ll go make breakfast”

“No no” I called out after her as she started towards the door, “Why don’t you go brush your teeth? Justin is going to come over and take you shopping for a present for Meredith”

“Really?” I nodded my head, “Yay!”

“Pick out what you want to wear and then bring it here so I can see” I said as she ran off to her room. I hate to put this all on Justin but I really could use the peace and quiet to just sleep.

I must have dozed off because when I opened my eyes I saw Justin and Vanessa standing at the foot of the bed with the top of their shirts up over their noses. I laughed when I saw them and sat up, “Did you just get here?”

“A couple minutes ago” he waved with a chuckle, “We don’t want to get sick”

Vanessa giggled, “You look silly Justin”

“You look silly, Nessa” he laughed as he picked her up and placed her outside, “Give me a minute with mommy ok?”

“OK, I’ll go get ready” she said as Justin closed the door and walked over and sat down next to me

“Don’t get too close, I don’t want you to be sick”

“I’m not going to get sick” he said as he pulled the sheet away from me and gave me a quick kiss, “what do you need?”

“I’m fine”

“Soup? Popsicles? Cough Syrup?”

“Sure” I said softly, “Thank you so much, you’re a lifesaver”

“Not a problem”

“There’s money in that drawer to get the present. Then take some for that stuff too, and lunch or something”

“I’ve got you covered”

“No, seriously Justin. I have the money”

“I know you do. But I got this. It’s part of the package deal” he said with a smile when he stood up, “I’m not going to call you so you can sleep but I’ll come over when I drop her off at the party”

“Thanks”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it, relax ok?” I nodded my head as he kissed my forehead, “Goodnight”

When I woke up again I heard the television on. At first I thought they had forgot to turn it off but then I looked at the clock and saw it was 5 o’clock. I felt surprisingly better… well still not perfect but I didn’t feel so much like I was dying. I walked out in the living room and saw Justin watching the Lakers game, “Hey, feeling better?”

“A little” I said as I flopped down on the couch next to him, “Was she ok?”

“Yeah she was great. We got the girl one of those Build a Bear things and then went for lunch and to the playground for a little”

“Thank you so much”

“No problem, did you sleep all day?”

I nodded my head, “This is my first time up”

“Whoa” he laughed, “Good, you probably needed that”

“Yeah, I guess” I said as I rested my head on his shoulder, “What am I going to do when you’re gone?” There was only a week before he was leaving for his three-month tour and just the thought of it made me feel sick to my stomach.

“You’ll manage. The question is more what I’m going to do when I’m gone. I think you guys have a better chance at making it than I do” he said with a smile, “But I don’t want to talk about that now. You’ll come visit and… Kyle will give you some time off right?”

“Yeah, but I can’t take her out of school”

“Maybe just a Friday or something and you can come for the weekend. And she has vacation coming up right?” I nodded my head, “Don’t start worrying about that. It’ll go by fast. We’ll figure it out, I promise”

We sat quietly for the next hour and a half watching a movie. Just being with him makes me feel so much better.

When he came back from picking Vanessa up I could hear them coming up the steps, “I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. I like to… MOVE IT!!!” They both sang as they came into the apartment

“Mommy!” Vanessa called as she came running over to me, “I like to move it, move it,” she continued singing and dancing

“What did he teach you?” I asked with a chuckle

“We were singing and dancing, and he’s a good dancer you know. The other Mommies said he was the best dancer EVER”

“Whoa” I laughed

“All the kids were dancing when I got there and Vanessa wanted me to join in” he said with a chuckle, “It was fun”

“It was so much fun Mommy. And look what I got!” she said as she pulled one of those build a bear packages from a bag Justin was holding, “This is Fluffy, she’s my new best friend” she pulled the bear from the box and I looked at Justin, he should not have bought her that. He looked at me, shrugged and gave me a half smile, “And this is her hat… look it has her name on it. And this is her sunglasses and her socks, and we got two different clothes in case she wants to go to a party of if she wants to go swimming. See the towel? And this is her backpack. And in here there’s her princess stuff, see?”

“Alright, Ness” Justin said as he grabbed the backpack from her, “I told you not to tell your mother”

“Oh. Oops”

“Yeah, oops” Justin laughed, “Why don’t you go put it in your room?”

“Justin” I spoke up when she was gone

“It really wasn’t that much”

“But you were supposed to get something for Meredith not for Vanessa”

“I know, but she really wanted one”

I smiled; it’s kind of adorable that he couldn’t turn her down, “That must have cost a fortune”

“It wasn’t that bad” he smiled

“And look” Vanessa said as she came back out with more things, “Her purse, and look I have one too! And look what’s in mine” she pulled something out, “It’s a pawsport. Get it?” she giggled even though I’m pretty sure she doesn’t get it herself, “And I get it stamped every time I go to the store. Right Justin?” he nodded his head, “Cool huh mommy?”

“Yes, very cool. I think you bought the whole store”

“Nah, we left a couple things” Justin chuckled.

“Did you say thank you?”

“I already did”

“Maybe you should say it again. You owe Justin a lot of thank you’s for all of this”

“Thank you Justin” she gave him a hug

“Your welcome sweetheart”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story