I drove until I got there. Where exactly it was I was going I had no idea. I thought I’d know when I got there, and I did. It may have been the bright sunny day that made Los Angeles look so beautiful, or it may have been the fact that we were so tired from driving for so long. As soon as I stepped out of the car I knew that this was the place for us to start our home.

It was two years later when we were finally settled to the point that I could actually call this place home. I found a job that actually pays me enough to afford rent and then some which I found to be almost impossible without a college education. I know there is no way that I’m qualified for this job, but I am a fast learner. I’m working at a recording studio; I know nothing about recording devices or music in general. My boss is Kyle and he quickly became my best friend, and my only friend. I’m pretty sure the only reason why I got the job is because he felt bad for us.

“Mommy, mommy wake up” I felt Vanessa jumping on the bed

“What are you doing up so early?” I grabbed her and pulled her down with me, “Are you excited?”

“Mmhmm”

“And why’s that?”

“Cause I start school today Mommy!” she said as she put a hand on either side of my face, “I’m a big girl”

“I know you are, but we still have a little more time to sleep” I smiled, “Don’t you want to rest a little longer?”

“No Mommy, I have to get pretty and wear my pretty dress and you said I could wear your makeup”

“What?” I laughed, “Booboo I did not say you could wear my makeup”

“But Mommy, it’s my first day of school”

“I’m sorry but no way. You are not wearing makeup until you are 16 years old. How do you want to wear your hair?” I asked as I played with her blonde curls

“Braids” she stood up, “Come on, I wanna wear my dress”

“Alright Booboo, you got it” I sat up, “I can’t believe you’re such a big girl and you’re going school today” she smiled, “Let’s make a big breakfast for your special day. What do you want? Pancakes? Eggs?”

“Chocolate chip pancakes!”


“Yeah! Mickey Mouse ones?”

I did cry when I dropped her off. She didn’t cry, but I did. In fact, there were very few children that were actually crying but most of the mother’s were. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one. I drove to the recoding studio and ran inside, hoping no one would notice how obviously I had been crying. “Morning Izzy”

“Morning Kyle” I said as I sat down at the desk and turned away from him and went right to the pile of paperwork that was waiting for me.


“Did your cat get run over by a car?”

“What?”

“You look sad” he said with a smile on his face

“Shut up” I laughed, “its Vanessa’s first day of kindergarten”

“Aww” he said seriously as he rolled over towards me on his chair, “Are you holding up alright?”

“I’m fine, I was just sad” I said with a chuckle before pushing him away from me, “What’s going on today?”

“Just some people coming in to record… you know, the usual”

“Thanks Kyle” I said sarcastically as I started working on some paperwork, “She didn’t even cry”

“Who?”

“Nessa. She didn’t even cry a little. She just
ran in and started playing with the other kids”

“That’s a good thing Izzy”

“I guess” I tapped my pen against the desk, “I just thought she’d cry a little”

“You’re amazing” he laughed, “You want your daughter to cry”

“Of course I don’t” I paused and laughed, “Whatever. Are you coming over for Grey’s Anatomy tonight?”

“You know it”

“Good” I paused as I looked up to see two men standing in front of me, “I’m sorry, what can I do for you?”

“We have a studio. Justin Timberlake” a tall man with dark hair stated

“Oh ok um,” I looked at the schedule, “We have you in four”

“We need a bigger one” the same man answered, “There’s going to be a lot of us, we told you that on the phone”

“You told me that on the phone” I repeated, he did not tell me that on the phone. I don’t doubt he told somebody that but it definitely wasn’t me, “I can switch some things around it’s not a problem sir. Is number two alright?”

“Is that the biggest?”

“Well one is the biggest sir. But we have that
one booked until next Wednesday. I can put you down for that one starting Wednesday if you’d like”

“Two is fine” the other man with short brown hair answered

“It’s really not much smaller. Let me get you the key” I rolled over and grabbed the key, “Here you go, and I just need you to sign these papers” the first man went to the room while the other stayed behind to sign the papers

“I’m sorry about him; he likes a lot of space”

“Oh no, I’m sorry we couldn’t get you the room you wanted”

“It’s not a big deal. He’s not an asshole”

“I never said he was”

“I know, but you were thinking it” he smiled, “I’m Justin” he held his hand out

“Izzy. You’re all set Justin; just return the key out here when you’re done. Have a good one”

“Oh Lord” Kyle rolled over to me and let out a big sigh, “He is gorgeous, more gorgeous in person. Pictures do not do that boy justice”

I laughed as I initialed the papers I needed to, “You’re insane”

“I wonder if he has a gay twin” he said as he bit the tip of his pen, “How amazing would that be? You could have Justin and I could have his gay twin,”

“I can have Justin?” I laughed, “Have you met me?”

“What is he not your type? I’m pretty sure he’s everyone’s type”

“I don’t have a type because I have a daughter”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t have a life. You need to go out and get some”

“First of all” I started with a laugh, “I do not need to go out and get some. Second of all, I do not have time to date and my daughter is my life. And third why do you think that just because a good looking guy comes in that he’s automatically interested in me?”

“He was flirting with you”

“What? Kyle please”

“What?” he mimicked me with a chuckle, “Get back to work Dizzy Izzy”

“You are the one that needs to get back to work Vile Kyle” I said as I rolled over to answer the phone, “SpitSound Studios”

“Hi, may I talk to Isabelle Boyd”

“This is she’

“How are you? This is Stephanie Long, Vanessa’s teacher”

“Oh, is she ok?” I felt my heard beating in my throat.
The first day that she goes to kindergarten and she’s already hurt. I knew she was too young…

“Yes, well yes. She’s just been crying since you left. There were a few other kids crying but we managed to get them to calm down a little but she really doesn’t seem to be stopping” she said with a slight laugh

“Oh no, I’m sorry”

“No, it’s not a big deal don’t worry about it. We’ll let you talk to her to see if you can calm her down. Maybe you could come in for lunch?” she paused, “We just don’t want her to get used to it”

“Oh no, I understand. I can come in, it’s not a problem. What time is lunch?”

“11:23. I’ll let you talk to her”

“Thank you”

“Mommy?” I heard her little voice and I felt like I was ready to cry myself

“Booboo, what’s the matter?”

“You didn’t give me a kiss”

“What?” I heard a chuckle escape, “Baby you ran in and played with your new friends. I thought you were having fun”

“Noo” she started to cry again, “I wanna come home”

“Well you can’t come home silly Mommy’s working”

“Oh, I can come there then and see Kyle”

“Ah ha” I laughed, “The truth comes out. Listen Booboo, here’s what’s going to happen. You are going to go back to class and stop crying and have fun and make lots of friends”

“But Mommy”

“No. Listen. I will come for lunch, but Mrs. Long is going to tell me if you keep crying and then I won’t come ok?”

“Ok” she answered in a disappointed tone

“And Kyle is going to come over for dinner so you’ll see him then”

“Yay”

“Yay” I laughed, “Ok Booboo, I love you”

“Bye Mommy, I love you too!”

I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone, “What was that about?”

“Vanessa. They said she wouldn’t stop crying”

“Ahh… you got your wish”

“Shut up I did not want her to cry” I said as I slapped his arm, “She wanted to come here and see you”

“That’s my girl”

“I need to take lunch early k?”

“OK” he answered sarcastically

“Shut up, I’ll bring you food”

“Have fun” he smiled


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story