Author's Chapter Notes:
From Alicia's point of view.
The NBA All Star game is coming to DC, so all week at work, everybody’s been all excited and shit. ‘Cause, come on, it’s the All-Star Game. I haven’t figured out whether it’s good or bad that we have to work that weekend, but the way me and Usher look at it, we wouldn’t be goin’ if we weren’t workin’, so we might as well make the best of it, ya know?

Our boss – well one of them, Josh – is like a hard ass and he doesn’t put up with bullshit. All week, he’s been comin’ in our office like, "Make sure you got this done," and "Did you do that and that and that and blah, blah, blah." Ugh, that dude annoys the hell out of me, now that I think about it.

But anyway, this weekend is supposed to be hectic – everyone and their mama has told us that shit. Now, we’re just supposed to handle it.

"Alicia! Let’s go!" Seventh time in six minutes that Adam has called my name. We’re late again, and apparently, they’re all waiting on me. Yeah, because Justin (that bitch) didn’t just wake up. Lindsay isn’t still putting on makeup. (Insert sarcasm). I’m just the one in the fuckin’ Oval Office, trying to make sure that we all have all the instructions for the Rookie/Sophomore challenge that we’re working at tonight. No, according to everyone else, I’m just chillin’ at the fuckin’ computer.

Fuck them. "I’ll be there in a minute."

A few seconds later, I heard the stomp of Britney’s heels against the marble floor in our foyer. She had been in the car, waiting for roughly half an hour, so yeah, she was probably a little perturbed. She came thundering through the glass door of the computer room, spun my chair around, and waited for me to say something. I didn’t.

"Alicia, I don’t know what you’re doing – I don’t care. Just get in the car."

Oh, like that New York accent is supposed to scare me. "I’m trying—"

Very calmly, she interrupted. "I don’t care. We are forty-two minutes late and I’m about eight seconds from leaving the three of you. Go get in the car."

I watched her for a second. Her eyes had this smoldering glare that actually was scaring me. "Okay."

"Okay." She walked out of the room, and before I got up, I heard her stomping up the steps. That’s the first time someone has opted to take the down staircase over using the escalator. She must have been really pissed. Next thing I knew, I heard things being thrown across the room and her shouting. "Lindsay, you don’t have to be cute today. Just get in the car!"

As I exited the Oval Office, and tried to sneak quietly out of the front door, I noticed a tube of lipstick and a compact mirror that had been thrown over the second floor balcony and shattered across the foyer floor. Remind me not to fuck with Britney this weekend.

::::::::::

Once we finally did get to work, we were all relieved to find that the vibe at the MCI Center was nonchalant. Our nicer boss, Gisele, didn’t even care that we were late. The staff they hired for this weekend was crazy huge, so they hardly even needed us for today any-damn-way.

"So guys, basically, when I need you to step it up is for tomorrow morning," Gisele began, taking a seat at the head of our long conference table. "First off, I need you all here at eight AM, sharp."

Instantly, the group began to whine in response, while Britney gave us the evil eye, as she took notes. "You guys, pay attention."

"I know," Gisele conceded, "it’s early, but you cannot be late tomorrow, so please – do whatever you need to do to be on time. Get up at five if you have to. Just don’t be late."

"May I ask what we’re doing?" Adam requested, raising his hand.

"Of course. You may or may not have heard of the NBA’s Read To Achieve program, but every All-Star weekend, they get together with a group of kids, and they read with them, hang out, play games, and then get a couple of music’s all-stars to perform for them."

"Is that the shit that airs on like every single channel at noon tomorrow?"

"Exactly."

"And so what does this have to do with us?" Justin asked.

"You know, if you guys would, like, shut up and let Gisele finish, perhaps we’d find out," Brit hissed. I tried not to, but I couldn’t help but laugh at her anal tendencies when it came to this stupid job. "Alicia, I don’t know what’s so funny, but now is not the time," she added.

"Guys," Gisele inserted, "calm down. As I was saying, I need you all to be here at eight, because you’re going to be interacting with the kids that we have coming in tomorrow."

"So, in other words, we’re babysitting?" Christina asked.

"Essentially, yes. But you’re each going to have about five children that you’re looking after. You’re going to entertain them, read with them, take them to breakfast and lunch, and sit with them throughout the entire performances," she stressed, eyeing each of us.

"May I ask who’s performing?" Lindsay interjected, also raising her hand.

"Well the NBA was lucky enough to get Nelly to perform, as well as Ciara."

Usher and I looked at one another excitedly, despite the fact that Britney was essentially daring us to say anything out loud. Adam seemed to be the only other roommate pleased at the fact that we got to see Nelly and Ciara perform for free. I guess hip-hop is lost on Lindsay and Justin. And well, Christina doesn’t enjoy any damn thing.

"So, I think that’s about all I need to tell you guys," Gisele finished. "I just cannot stress how imperative it is that you are all here on time, okay?"

"Okay," we answered in unison.

"We will be here at eight o'clock sharp," Justin, the suck-up, replied.

"We’ll be here at 7:59," Britney finished.

::::::::::

"Alicia!" Britney again. "If you’re not down here in two minutes, I’m leaving you."

Why is it always me? I was up at 6AM, making breakfast for everyone, looking over the notes that Britney had written and excited about the damn day. Maybe just shit ass bad luck got me sick ten minutes before we had to leave, but I mean, would they rather me throw up in the bathroom before we leave and be two minutes late, or throw up on them in the car and let everyone smell like shit? I thought so.

After doing what I had to do, I slowly made my way downstairs and outside only to find that the car was gone. "Well ain’t that a bitch?" I said to myself. I checked my watch, and it was only 7:45. We could’ve made it on time, even if the bitch had waited for me. But now, I’m gonna look like the irresponsible roommate that couldn’t make it on time. Fuck that shit. I had next to no money to my name, but I called a cab and hopped my ass downtown with even a few extra seconds to spare.

"Alicia." God, I think people just like sayin’ my motherfuckin’ name. Every time I turn around, someone else is calling me. I was walking down the hall of the MCI Center Business Complex, looking for anyone to tell me where to go when the mean boss, Josh, called after me.

"Hey, Josh," I answered, almost out of breath, "what’s up?"

"Why aren’t you in the arena?"

"I was - well, I --"

"Are you all just getting here?"

"No!"

"Are you sure?"

"I’m positive. No, everyone’s been here for a few minutes, I assume. I just -"

"Did you just get here?" he asked, lowering his spooky blue eyes at me.

"Yeah - Well, no I’ve been here for a few minutes. I’m just looking for everyone else."

"Well, they should be in the arena," he answered, condescendingly. "And please tuck in your shirt before you get down there. We’re trying to set an example for these kids."

"Yes, sir." Bitch.

Ashamed, I made my way down to the arena where hundreds of kids were gathering on the floor of the court. Searching for a crew of cameramen and a diverse group of people, I walked over to my roommates, trying to put on the biggest smile I could muster up. "Hey, y’all."

Gisele was basically the only one that smiled at me. - And Linds, but that girl is always smiling. "Hey, Alicia. I’m glad you could make it," Gisele replied. "Christina informed me that you were sick?"

God, what’s up with the 180’s everyone in this house is doing? "Yeah, I was a little under the weather after breakfast, but I’m good."

"Good. Let me take you to your group of kids, then."

We headed towards the large group, and she randomly picked a group of six boys and girls that I’d be hanging out with all day. Ah, I love kids. After I got settled in with them, the rest of the day went relatively smoothly. We ate breakfast from the concession stand outside and headed for the next installment of the day, which was reading with the NBA players. I damn near lost my breakfast again when I found out I was gonna be reading one of Jamie Lee Curtis’s children’s books with Mike Bibby. Oh, shit! What a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Eventually, as we neared lunchtime, that old familiar feeling of nausea crept back up on me and I really needed someone to relieve me. I wasn’t really tryin’ to talk to Britney, and Christina - well, she scares me. I so would’ve asked Usher in a heartbeat, but he was on the other side of the arena, and my stomach wouldn’t make it that far. So, even though after our birthday party, Justin has gone incredibly low on my people priority list, he was right there. What the hell, it was just a few measly minutes that I needed to lean on him.

I walked towards his area of the court, where he seemed to be completely enthralled with his group of kids. As cute as they were, I ventured to interrupt him. "Justin, can you do me a favor?" I yelled over the commotion.

Without really looking back, he said, "Yeah, sure."

"Watch my kids for like five minutes. I gotta run to the bathroom."

"Yeah, sure."

"Thanks. I’ll be right back." With that, I disappeared into the arena lobby and prayed that relief would find me quickly so that I could get back to my boys and girls.

It took me a little more than ten minutes to feel better, but I rushed back into the arena - the one that had been completely full of kids, only to find that everyone was gone. Not a soul in sight. How the hell could they clear out hundreds of people in a matter of ten minutes? Damn, just when I thought this day couldn’t get any worse. I left the arena, searching high and low for any sign of… well hell, anybody.

I wish I remembered what was supposed to happen at this point. I saw the whole schedule on Britney’s notes, but I didn’t remember shit, man. It was either lunchtime or the performance. Or the reading challenge. Okay, I didn’t know. I decided that I just needed to trek back down to the office complex and hope that someone over there would know what to do.

As I headed over there, my prayers were answered, and Justin popped out of a corner, presumably headed to the bathroom as well. "Justin!"

"Oh, hey," he said, turning around. "You’re speaking to me again?"

Not really. "Um, I just wanted to know where you guys went."

"To the practice arena for the performances."

Ah, the performances were next! I knew it! "Oh, so how do I get there?"

"Just go through that door and take the double doors on your left."

Man, I was so happy that I was compelled to kiss the little bitch. Instead, I just headed down the hall that he’d directed me towards. "Thank you!"

"You have to bring your kids with you, though."

"What?"

"Your kids - they go with you."

"You mean you didn’t take them?"

"No…"

"Justin!"

"What?"

"You said you’d watch them for me!"

"No, I didn’t."

"What the fuck, man! Yes, you did!"

"Why would I say something like that? I had five of my own to take care of."

I closed my eyes, hoping, praying, wishing that this wasn’t really happening. "Justin, I asked you if you’d watch them for like five minutes because I had to go to the bathroom."

He looked at me, baffled and stared awkwardly. "Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Licia, I’m so sorry. I didn’t even realize it."

Tears rushed down my cheeks as I stormed off, in search of the five children I was responsible for. I went back down to the arena to make sure that they weren’t hiding somewhere near there. After that, I searched every motherfuckin’ concession stand on the mezzanine level, as well as the floor level, finding no one but volunteers preparing hot dogs and hamburgers. And, as if the day weren’t sucking enough, I was feeling nauseous again. But this time, I didn’t let it stop me. I went through the arena, again, finding Josh staring back at me like I was some kind of criminal.

"Alicia, what are you doing in here?"

I sighed and wiped my face of excess fear and tears. "I thought I left something in here, but I guess not, so I’ll just be going now."

"Alicia."

"Yes?" I said, turning around.

"Your kids are in the practice arena with everyone else."

Duh, Licia! "Thank you, sir."

"We’ll discuss this after lunchtime."

"Yes, sir."

::::::::::

"Alicia, the fact of the matter is that you were irresponsible. I cannot allow someone like you to be a part of our team if you don’t care." As planned, Josh and I discussed my actions after lunchtime. The only thing was that he was discussing, and I was cringing. I hate being lectured.

"I do care," I interrupted. "I honestly do. Today has just been a terribly bad day."

"Alicia, according to your roommates, you always have bad days. You’re constantly slowing them down. They say they would’ve been late today, too, if they’d waited on you."

"I was sick, sir."

"That’s another thing – they say that you have a constant barrage of excuses and reasons for every little problem you have."

"I don’t know what to say, Josh. I realize the irresponsibility that I exhibited, but sir, I assure you that it was the result of a misunderstanding."

"Well, Alicia, I wasn’t there and can’t make that call. So, what we’ll have to do is talk to your co-workers and see what input they have."

Just as he said that, the door to the conference room went swinging open, and in walked my six roommates, as well as Gisele. The anxiety disappeared from my face, because I knew that Justin knew the real story and that Gisele, the nice boss, was on my side. I relaxed and watched them take their seats at the table, avoiding my stare.

"So, what we have here," Josh started, "is a case of neglect. I don’t know the entire story, nor has Alicia divulged the details of everything that happened. But, what I do know is that the choice in your hands," he directed to the other six. "You guys have informed me of the discrepancies that have arisen with Alicia, so what we’re going to do is ask you what you think should happen."

Britney was the first to pipe up and insert her opinion. "Well, personally, as I told you before, Josh, I don’t see how I can work with this kind of blatant disregard for our job. Alicia is constantly making us late, not caring about what’s going on with the job, and I think it reflects on the rest of us when she loses a group of kids. I mean, if Lindsay hadn’t noticed that they were on their own, who knows where they would’ve ended up. I mean, Alicia, what were you thinking, leaving them alone like that?"

I shot my eyes to Justin before clearing my throat to answer her. "I didn’t think I was leaving them alone. I asked someone to watch them, but I guess they didn’t hear me."

"Well, why didn’t you make sure that they heard you before you disappeared?"

"Because I –"

"Weren’t you thinking at all?"

"Of course I was. I was thinking that I had to fuckin’ throw up and if I had to wait any longer, I wasn't gonna make it to the goddamn bathroom!" I yelled, rising from the table.

"Calm down," Josh interjected.

"No, fuck that! Y’all treatin’ me like some kind of goddamn criminal because I was sick. If you wanna fire me, go right a-motherfuckin’-head, but don’t fuckin’ sit here and talk down to me like you own me. I made a mistake and that’s it! The kids are fine! By the way, I feel much better, thanks for asking." I kicked my chair out of the way and stormed out of the office. I’d rather be alone, without a job, than sit there, in front of them while they look at me with those ‘You’re a terrible person’ eyes. Fuck them.

::::::::::

Saturday night, when I was supposed to be enjoying the best weekend of the year, chilling with NBA players, watching the slam-dunk competition and drooling over Allen Iverson, I sat around the house, wondering if even one of my roommates gave a damn that I was chillin’ at home alone. I was about two seconds from hitting the sheets when I heard the door open and Justin and Adam’s loud asses come bumbling up the steps.

"Licia!" Adam called. He walked into my bedroom and spread across the floor as if nothing was wrong. "Why are you still here? The shit starts in like ten minutes."

"What are you doing here?" I asked, not really caring about the answer.

"Well, Justin wanted to change out of that dorky uniform we had to wear and I decided to come with him and see if you wanted to come back with us."

"With you and Justin? I don’t think so."

"Why not?"

"I just don’t. Plus, since I did such a terrible job today, I don’t think I belong there with y’all."

Adam sat up from the floor and stared at me. "You’re not still mad, are you?"

"Hell fuckin’ yeah, I’m mad! Y’all just sat there while Britney and Josh pummeled my ass. Not one of you stepped in to defend me."

"Licia, I honestly didn’t know what to think. I knew you were sick, but I don’t think that was an excuse to leave your group like that."

I rolled my eyes and fell back into my pillows. "It’s cool," I lied. "Just forget it."

"Well, I don’t know if you heard, but on Monday, they’re gonna have us watch the tape to see what happened, and then, we’re gonna vote on whether you should be able to keep your job."

"Gee, thanks," I replied, sarcastically.

"What’s wrong?"

Ugh, boys are so fuckin’ retarded sometimes. "Nothing, Adam. Y’all are gonna be late if you don’t bounce."

He stood up, towering over me and looked down at me, in all my lazy frustration. "You’re sure you don’t wanna come?"

"Positive. Have fun."

He bent down to kiss me on the forehead before hopping out of the door in only a way that Adam could. Eventually, Justin tip-toed into the room and sat down on my bed, again, like nothing was wrong. "Hey."

I gave him a blank look and closed my eyes, waiting for him to sense my anger.

"You’re mad at me again?"

Shit, I never stopped being mad about the Missy fiasco. "What do you want?"

"I wanted to apologize."

"For what this time?"

"I know you’ve had a shitty day, and I’m sorry that you’re feeling down."

"And?"

"And um, I hope you feel better."

"And?"

"And do you wanna come back to the arena with us?"

I got up from my bed, and left my side of the room to sit on Usher’s bed. "You’re unbelievable."

"What did I do?"

"Are you really that dumb? Justin, you could’ve saved me today and you kept your fuckin’ mouth shut!"

"How was I supposed to save you?"

"Oh, I dunno – by telling the truth!"

"Licia, I could’ve been fired."

"Oh, but it’s okay that I get fired, right?"

"You won’t get fired. We’re gonna take a vote. And you know me and Adam, Lindsay and Usher got your back."

"That’s where you’re wrong, Justin. None of you have my back, because if you did, you wouldn’t be talkin’ about how irresponsible I am."

"None of us said anything like that! Britney is the one that told Josh about you losing your kids, she’s the one that said you were constantly making us late, and she’s the one that said you didn’t care about our job."

"And the four of you were the ones that didn’t say shit to refute it! And you, Justin, of all people, know what went down today, and you sat there like a little bitch with your mouth shut."

"What was I supposed to do?"

"You were supposed to be there for me! You were supposed to have my back! But then, I should’ve known that you didn’t have it in you to step it up, because anytime something comes along that might get Justin in trouble, Justin’s gonna save himself and himself only. Ain’t that right, baby boy?"

"You’re overreacting," he replied, calmly.

"Get outta my room."

"Alicia, I’m sorry."

"Get out."

::::::::::

Monday morning, we all gathered around the conference table again, to view Saturday’s course of events, from the moment I woke up to the second that I stormed out of the office that afternoon. I guess those damn camera’s in every fucking corner might be my saving grace.

My six roommates, as well as my two bosses, watched the tapes intently, displaying how I retched into one of our two toilets while Britney yelled callously at me. They watched me hail a cab and give him my last dollar, just so I could get to work on time. The tape proceeded to the point at which I asked Justin to watch my group while I ran to the bathroom. And it was at that point that Justin lowered his head in shame and avoided my glare. Everyone else gave me these pitiful looks of sorrow as if I’d just lost my best friend.

"Well," Gisele began, "I guess we can start with the votes now."

"Um, I don’t think that’s necessary," Britney interrupted. "May I talk to Alicia privately for a minute?"

Gisele looked back and forth between me and her and excused us. Bored, I followed Britney outside to the hall, with a camera man on my heels and waited for her to speak. "I owe you a huge apology," she whispered. "I honestly don’t even know what to say, except I’m so sorry."

"Do you have something against me?"

"No, not at all. I just get anal when it comes to excelling, and when I thought you were slacking off, I really felt like you needed to go."

I nodded, understanding her position. I was hurt, but not by her. "Well hey, it’s cool."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I’m over it."

"Alicia, I really am sorry."

"Yeah, I get it." I gave her a wink and went back into the conference room where everyone else seemed to have been inevitably listening in on our conversation.

"Alicia, I, too, owe you an apology for my coldness towards you on Saturday," Josh admitted. "It’s clear that you did everything you could, in spite of not feeling well, to be a part of this team, and your efforts aren’t going overlooked."

"Thank you," I replied, sitting back down.

"Yeah, Licia, we’re all sorry," Lindsay added.

"I know," I smiled, beginning to stare at Justin. Some of you just aren’t sorry enough.


On the next Real World :: The roommates trek it to New York with Britney – well, except for Alicia and Justin. :: Alicia is still highly mad, and the (sexual) tension is madly high. ::


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story