Author's Chapter Notes:
***SCENE ADDED***
2 HOURS LATER, Lynn Harless walked to the front of the bus.

“How is she? Did she say what happened?” all 5 boys asked at once.

The woman sighed sadly. “She wouldn’t let me too close but she’s in clean clothes & tucked in sleeping. She has a lot of bruises & cuts but didn’t tell me why. Do any of you know where she was tonight?”

“I’m guessing her house. She lives near here,” JC answered.

“Ok. Give her time. She’ll tell you when she wants to. But keep an eye on her; she’ll need all of you. I’ll be riding on the other bus with the band if you need anything. I’m so sorry, boys. Nicole doesn’t deserve this.”

As Lynn left the bus after hugging all of them, Justin “ who had been silently crying “ spoke up. “I’ll take 1st watch.”

“Ok...Get some sleep yourself, man. We’re all wiped,” Joey said.

That night, the guys slept in their bunks. Except Justin, who was propped up next to Nicole.
---
She could barely breathe. She staggered back, crutches digging into her arms & sides. If her wrists weren’t broken, they sure were bruised. A hard kick came to her ribs.

Nicole looked up & saw the anger in the man’s eyes. “Please...Please, don’t,” she begged.

The next blow that came was across her face. Even more tears joined the ones already streaming from her eyes.

She hit him where it hurt with 1 of her crutches. She then stumbled out the door as he doubled over.

She ran, well as fast as she could, down the street. She had to get there; they’d help her.

She turned to look back & saw the angry face again.


“No! No, get away!” Nicole screamed, waking up from the nightmare.

Justin, who kicked himself for falling asleep, jumped up from his chair. All 5 guys were at her side in an instant.

The frightened girl shrunk away as Lance lay a comforting hand on her shoulder. “It’s ok.”

Justin tried & succeeded in wrapping his arms around. “It’s alright, Sweetheart. You're safe. Shhh...”

JC tentatively reached out with a washcloth to wipe Nicole’s face but when she whimpered, he handed it to Justin.

She continued with shaky pleas for help & Joey asked, “would you like to talk about your dream?”

“It might help,” Chris added.

Nicole froze & stared blankly at the wall behind Justin. “It’s alright,” he told her. “You don’t have to. No one’s going to hurt you now.”
---
A FEW DAYS LATER, Every time Nicole slept, she had nightmares. She’d wake screaming but wouldn’t say what she dreamt.

She felt safe with all the guys but was afraid to be touched. They all understood why she only let Justin near her when she woke up at night. She seemed to have the deepest connection with Justin. He couldn't get too close but was allowed to at least hold her when she cried. The others all thought deep down that Nicole & Justin belonged together. Right now though, it only mattered that they helped her & she had people to protect her.
---
Today, *NSYNC were in the studio. They had taken a few days off, not wanting to travel with the condition Nicole was in. The boys were trying to rehearse but were just too distracted. They were all very worried about their best friend; she meant a lot to them.

“G-guys?” a shaky voice sounded from the doorway.

“Hey, Nic-nack-patty-wack!” Joey called straightening in his chair.

The others followed his lead, seeing Nicole. “How’s our favorite fan this afternoon?” Chris asked.

“Um I’m good.”

“Come sit down. We’re practicing our songs,” Lance chimed in.

She sat between Justin & JC. “What's up, Girl?" JC asked.

"I-I’m ready to tell-tell you guys what happened.”

“You can tell us anything, Baby Girl,” Justin told her.

“Yeah. You're completely safe with us,” JC reassured. “We promise.”

"John did this," she started in a quiet voice.

"Your boyfriend? Why?" Chris questioned.

“I don't know, he just...just got so mad at me. I came home & he said I was late. Even though he knew I was working with the kids at the school on their Tae Kwon Do, he still got mad.”

“He has no right to tell you when to be home,” Lance commented.

“What happened next, Sweetie?” Joey asked gently.

“He usually gets mad when he’s drunk but he wasn't drinking that night. I tried to explain where I was & that the lesson ran late.” With her next sentence, her voice broke. “He shoved me down & he started yelling. He called me n-names I don’t w-w-want to repeat & then...then he started to hit me.”

“Oh, Baby, I’m so sorry.” Justin pulled her into a hug.

She continued sobbing & telling of the beating. Soon, she had fell asleep. Joey carried her back to the bus since she didn’t know it was him holding her.

She stirred as Joey set her on the bed but Justin whispered, “rest now, Baby.”

END OF CH2


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story