Chapter Fourteen 

 

November 2011

 

Emma loved coming home to the house Justin and she purchased on Beaver Lake, and seeing his Escalade parked in its spot, letting her know that he was home.  Home – it was their home, and she loved it.

 

They had found the house in June and moved in late July.  The house was three stories, just more than 3,100 square-feet, and built on a hill, overlooking the lake.  With the way it was built, the ground floor had the living, kitchen and dining rooms all open to each other and opened out to a huge terrace, with stairs leading down to the boat dock; the second floor consisted of the “garage”, stairways that led either to the ground floor or third floor, and it overlooked the great room; and the third floor had three bedrooms, two bathrooms, the laundry room, as well as a balcony looking out onto the lake.

 

Emma opened the front door and was greeted by Buckley, who liked to wait for her at the door while Brennan usually stuck by Justin’s side.  She gave him a pat on the head, set her bag on the bench by the door and followed the music that was coming upstairs, knowing that would be where Justin was.  Buckley followed her up the stairs that led to the bedrooms.

 

“Hi,” Emma said.  She walked into one of the spare bedrooms, where Justin was playing around on a keyboard.  He looked up at her and smiled.

 

“Hey Emmy, how was work?”  Justin’s lips met hers when she leaned down to kiss him.

 

“It was good.  We finished up the CD booklet for the new compilation that Gotee has,” she told him as she sat down on one of the extra chairs in the room.  “And Bryan and I were thinking of finding a new office ‘cause it’s starting to get a little crowded in there with the people we keep hiring.”

 

“Ya’ll should look for something closer to here, so you’re not driving an hour there and back.”  Justin suggested. 

 

“That’s probably what we’re gonna do because Bryan wants to move up to Rogers and we’re on the north side of the lake, it only makes sense.”  Emma nodded in agreement.  “We’ll see though.  So what’d they get done in the guesthouse today?”

 

Because there wasn’t a lot of “extra” space in the house when considering their future plans, they were having a guesthouse/studio built per Justin’s request.

 

“The electrician put up the light fixtures, and the painters got a lot of the painting done.  So we should be good for the inspector on Friday,” Justin stated.  “And moving stuff in there over the weekend.”

 

“Cool.  Trevor already said he wants to come over and play when the studio is all set up.”

 

“Yeah, I talked to him earlier, and he mentioned that.”  He pressed some of the keys on the keyboard down.

 

“So what were you working on?”  Emma changed the subject.  “It sounded nice.”

 

“Some songs for you,” he replied with a grin.

 

“Oh yeah?”  She was curious.

 

“Yup.”

 

“Is that all I’m gettin’?”  Emma asked.  Justin just nodded in response, and she rolled her eyes.  

 

“When the studio’s all setup, I’m gonna start working on another album of my own.”  It had been more than five years since he had released “FutureSex/LoveSounds.” 

 

“Good, good,” Emma smiled.  She knew he missed it, working on something for himself.  They had been so preoccupied with the wedding and being married for the past few years that there hadn’t been time for him to.

 

“So we’ll probably be having visitors a lot while I work on it,” Justin said.

 

“That’s fine.  I’m excited to hear what you do.”

 

“You know I want to do something that you’ll want to listen to and like.  It’s really important to me that you do.”  He was honest.  They talked about it awhile longer before Emma headed downstairs to start dinner.  Justin followed shortly.

 

“Em?” Justin asked later that night when they were getting ready for bed.  He was in the bedroom while she brushed her hair in their bathroom.

 

“Yeah?” She replied and stepped out of the bathroom.  Emma walked over to the bed and pulled the covers down. 

 

“What I would do now is just not what “FutureSex” was or even “Justified,” ya know?  What if the fans or the label don’t get it?”  Justin asked, sitting on his side of the bed and leaning against the headboard.  He sounded worried.

 

“Justin,” she looked into his eyes.  Emma climbed onto her side and pulled the covers up over her legs.  “Do what makes you happy.  You’re not going to be motivated to go out there and do your job if you’re writing and singing about things you don’t want to.  If you do what’s in your heart, than people will love it.”

 

“What if people think I’m sellin’ out or something?”  Mister self-confident, didn’t sound so confident.

 

“Seriously … Justin?  Did you just ask me that?”  Emma shook her head.  She changed positions so she was facing him.  “Look if people think that, then they were never real fans.  Besides that, at least you’d be ‘selling out’ to something greater than drugs and sex.”

 

“But I like sex.”  He grinned.

 

“Justin …” Emma scowled and crossed her arms over her chest.

 

“Okay, okay … I know, I know what you’re saying.”  Justin pulled her arms away from her body.  He didn’t want her to be mad at him.  “It’s just going to be a different direction than what I’m used to.”

 

“And I know you can do it,” Emma smiled.

 

“And like I said earlier, I really want to do something that you’ll want to listen to,” he said.  “I want it to be something you’ll like.”

 

“It doesn’t have to be though.”  She didn’t want him to do it for her.

 

“I know.  But I just – we’re married now, and it’s really important to me that you like what I do,” he stated honestly.  “And that you support it.”

 

“I’ve never, not supported you.”

 

“I know, but you’ve never really liked it.”  He looked hurt.

 

“If I’ve ever hurt your feelings about your music than I’m sorry.”  Emma met his eyes and smiled softly.  Justin nodded in response and leaned over to kiss her.  The kiss broke whatever tension may have been in the room.

 

“I love you, J.”  Emma had her hands on his cheeks as she said that.

 

“I love you too, Emmy,” Justin said.  He knew that she always would support him no matter what he sang about, but he truly did want to do something that she would appreciate.  “So what are we reading tonight?”

 

“Let’s see.”  She turned so she could pick up the book and then settled into her pillows.  Justin settled into his position next to her, as she opened it and began to read.

 

*  *  *

 

“Hello?”  The voice carried over the balcony and downstairs to where Emma was in the kitchen.

 

“Hi!”  Emma said loudly.  She put the hot pad down on the counter and headed for the stairs.  “Happy Thanksgiving!”  Emma grinned as she came up the steps seeing Justin’s Grandmother standing by the door. 

 

Justin had left a while ago to pick his Grandparents up from the airport for the holiday, and his parents were going to come the following day.

 

“You too, sweetie.”  The older woman gave her a hug.  “You look good Emma.”

 

“Thanks Grandma, so do you.”  Emma smiled, using the name she had been told to call her.  “I am so happy you guys could come out and miss your usual family gathering.”

 

“We were happy to, and you know how Justin is,” Sadie grinned, “what he wants he usually gets.”  Emma laughed because it was true.

 

“Now, I know Justin said you guys would be fine with the stairs, but I just have to double check with you because we’d figure something out if you aren’t.  I don’t want you guys to get hurt or anything like that …”

 

“We’ll be fine sweetheart.”  She patted her arm.

 

“You sure?”  Emma asked again.

 

“Yes.”

 

“We had planned to use the guesthouse, but it’s just a mess and we couldn’t get it together like I wanted, and then I was thinking since its been so cold it’s probably better for ya’ll to be here anyway and not be walking back and forth.”  Emma rambled.  “I just worry about those stairs; every time my Gran comes over, I can just see it in her face.”

 

“How is your Grandmother doin’?  I was so sorry to hear about your Granddad.”

 

“She’s hanging in there.  It’s hard, but we know he’s in a much better place.”

 

“Of course.”  Sadie nodded.

 

“Justin do you need help?”  Emma turned her attention to Justin when he came in carrying a couple of bags.  His Granddad behind him.

 

“We got it.”

 

“You sure?”

 

“Yes.”  He sounded frustrated.  Emma had been panicking the last few days over houseguests and Thanksgiving preparations.  “You have got to relax.  You’re driving me nuts.”

 

“I’m tryin’…” she sighed.

 

“Good.”  He kissed her quickly.  Justin turned to his Grandparents.  “Let me show you guys to you’re room and then I’ll give you a quick tour of our house.”  Emma greeted his Granddad and then the group headed upstairs to the bedrooms.

 

*  *  *

 

“Emma, I wrote this down so you can have your own copy,” Sadie said as she pointed to a note card with the ever-famous peach cobbler recipe.  Emma was just putting the dish into the oven for the big dinner the following day.

 

“Awesome,” she closed the oven.  “I appreciate it, and I know Justin does too.”

 

“What do I appreciate?”  Justin asked loudly from the couch, overhearing their conversation.

 

“The cobbler recipe.”  Emma answered.

 

“Oooo … yeah I do.  Thanks Grandma,” he turned his head to look at them.  “Now you can make it for me all the time.”

 

“Don’t get your hopes up,” Emma laughed.  “All the time …” she trailed off, grinning at his Grandmother.  “Do you want to see the pictures from the wedding?”

 

“I would love too.  I haven’t seen any.”  She made her way around the counter to sit down at the table.

 

“What? Justin, didn’t you send Grandma and Granddad pictures?”  Emma asked him.  She walked over to a bookcase that was under the stairs and pulled out the photo album with their wedding pictures in it.

 

“Huh … I thought I did.  Sorry.” 

 

“That’s ok Justin,” his Grandma said.  Emma walked back over to the table and set the book down before pulling out a chair to sit on.  Sadie opened the book and flipped through the pages.  “These are fantastic.”

 

“Yeah.  The photographer did such a great job.”  Emma smiled at the recent memories passing in front of her eyes.

 

“So can we be expecting any little ones soon?” Sadie asked, looking up from the pictures.

 

“Oh no,” Emma chuckled.  “Justin and I want to wait at least another year.  We want to have time to ourselves and get used to be married.”

 

“That makes perfect sense.”  She patted her hand.  “There shouldn’t be any rush, just enjoy each other.”

 

“We definitely are.”  Emma looked to where Justin was sitting on the couch, laughing about something with his Grandfather.  She was happy.

 

*  *  *

March 2012

Justin had lived in the studio for the majority of the last four months, and Emma had no idea what he was doing in there because he was being very secretive.  The only thing she had been let in on was the people he had worked with because they were always in and out of their home.  So Emma was surprised when Justin had asked her to come into the studio with him after dinner one spring night.

 

“Okay … have seat.”  Justin gestured to the couch.  He was excited to share his new stuff with Emma, especially after keeping her in the dark for so long.  Emma moved some papers out of the way and sat down.  She watched Justin sit down in one of the rolling chairs and wake the computer up.  “So I’m not really sure how to present this to you.”

 

“It’s okay if you just play it Justin.”  Emma wanted to hear it.  “But you can explain as it goes if you want.”

 

“I guess it’s kind of eclectic.  There’s stuff on there that I know the fans are gonna like and then there’s songs I know you’re gonna like.  There are definitely spiritual songs on it, but then there’s the ‘girl I love you’ kinda songs goin’ on too.”  Emma laughed at his description.  “And I tried to do spiritual songs, with my style … but I think the whole thing ended up being a little more acoustic/piano driven than anything else.  Ya know?”  Justin was rambling and not entirely sure what he was saying so he turned back to the computer screen and hit “play.”

 

“I’m sure it’ll be fine Justin.”  She encouraged with a smile.  Justin scooted the rolling chair closer to her when the music started to play.  Emma slid her flip-flops off of her feet and lifted her legs up so her feet were in his lap.

 

The first few songs were faster and then it slowed down.

 

I'm so tired of the phone baby
I don't like the tone of the way we
Say ‘I love you’ a thousand times
We say those words, but we can't look into each other's eyes
 

 

“Awe Justin, I like this.” Emma nudged his thigh a little with her toes.  He smiled, loving her reaction to the song.

 

Oh and I guess we made it
Or at lease we made it this far
And it all looks smooth from here
Oh and in a future day there may be waves but I must say the skies
Have never looked so clear
Oh and I guess we made it
Cause it ain't far to go from here
 I'm so tired of the road, baby

 

Driving through the snow, and just maybe
You'll sit back think about the times
When we said those words and we looked into each other's eyes
 

Oh and I guess we made it
Or at lease we made it this far
And it all looks smooth from here
Oh and in a future day there may be waves but I must say the skies
Have never looked so clear
Oh and I guess we made it
Cause it ain't far to go from here

 

And you have given me a heart attack you'll never know
What it's like to have face the fact you might let go
And I won't stand for any thought of that heaven's no
Cause I will cling to you and always have a stronger hold

Oh and I guess we made it
Or at lease we made it this far
And it all looks smooth from here
Oh and in a future day there may be waves but I must say the skies
Have never looked so clear to me baby

Oh and I guess we made it
Cause it ain't far to go from here
 

 

“That’s really sweet.”

 

They listened to several other songs, and Justin told her a little about each one.


“This is the last song and it’s the title track, ‘Better Part of Me’.  It’s for you.”  He stated simply.

 

You say that our love is from above

Don’t give up don’t give in now, now

I know your love will always be enough

Oh won’t give up, I won’t give in now, now 

 

Babe you are the better part of me

I believe, I believe you are 

 

I know this love will see us through

When seas get rough

Oh I won’t give up no, I won’t give in now, now 

 

Babe you are the better part of me

I believe, I believe you are 

 

Baby you’re the better part of me

‘Cause I believe, I believe you are

You are 

 

You’re the better part, part of me

The better part of me

 

Babe you are the better part of me

I believe, I believe you are, you are

 

“I love it Justin, I do.  Thank you.”  Emma sighed happily.  “You know I would never give up.”

 

“I know.  That’s just how the song worked out.”  He scooted the chair closer and leaned over to kiss her.  “The next is gonna be a hidden track.  I know you like this worship song and I thought it kind of applied to me.”  Emma grinned when she heard his voice sing the first line.

 

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart

I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You

King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Every single breath

I'll bring You more than just a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
 

 

“It’s perfect,” she said when the music ended.  Her eyes were a little teary.  Justin was so happy to see that reaction out of her.  “So how do you feel about it?”

 

“I’m proud of it,” he answered.

 

“That’s all that matters than.”

 

“I want it to matter to you.”

 

“I know you do.”  Emma gave him a smile that let him know she was proud of him.  Justin scooted back in his chair so that he could close the program on his computer.

 

“Are you going to let Bryan and I design the artwork for it?”  She asked, excitedly.

 

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Justin replied.

 

“Good answer,” Emma chuckled.  “Come here.”  She lowered herself on the couch farther so she was lying down.  When he heard that, Justin stood up quickly, causing the chair he was in to roll backward, and he moved himself so he was hovering over her.

 

“In here?”  Justin wanted to be sure.

 

“It’s been too long.”

 

“I’m sorry about that.” He knew just what she was talking about.  Her arms went around him, and he leaned down to kiss her.  Justin didn’t want to put all of his weight on her, but Emma pulled him down more, giggling against his lips.

 

*  *  *

 

May 2012

 

“Knock, knock.”  Justin poked his head around the corner of Emma’s office.  479design had relocated to different office building and now Emma had her own personal space to work.

 

“Hi.”  Emma grinned seeing him at the door.  She always liked it when he came in for a visit, unexpectedly.

 

“I finished up my thank yous, so I thought I would bring them by.”  Justin walked into the room.

 

“Good.  I was working on your CD now.”

 

“Awesome.  Can I see?”  He walked around her desk to where she was sitting.

 

“Of course,” Emma said.  She opened the rest of the files that she had been working on.  Justin had wanted her to use some of the photos taken at their wedding for it, so she had spent a lot of time cropping them down, into more abstract pieces, and putting them together with his lyrics.

 

“You can sit and look at it.”  Emma stood up.  “Can I have what you wrote?”

 

Justin pulled the folded piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to her before he sat down in the chair she had just vacated.  Emma unfolded the piece of paper and was just about to start reading it when Justin wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her down so she was sitting on his knee.

 

“Geez, Justin.”  Emma laughed.

 

“There’s no reason for you to stand.”  Justin kissed her head and looked back at the computer screen.  He really just liked being close to her.  Emma read what was written; most of it was pretty standard, but it made Emma feel good to read what he wrote at the end.

 

“For the better part of me, my Emmy – you have taught me how to love our God and in return He has taught me how to love you (of course not more than him ‘wink’).  Thank you for not being afraid to tell me how it is, for your love, for your support, and for your life lessons.  You have my heart, my mind and my soul.  I love you. 

 

“And for the even better part of me, my Savior – you teach me something new everyday in your words and through my wife.  Thank you for your continual blessings that I am not worthy of and never will be.” 

 

Emma leaned back against him and turned her head so she was looking at him.  Justin curled his left arm around her and brought his attention to her. 

 

“What?”  He asked about the way she was looking at him.

 

“Nothin’.”  Emma shrugged.  “You’re just the sweetest man ever.”

 

Ever?”  Justin double checked with a smile on his face.  Emma nodded and kissed him quickly.  “I really like the art.  You know, you’re pretty good at what you do.”  He stated, teasingly like he had never seen her projects before.

 

“You’re not so bad yourself,” she teased back, and he kissed her cheek.

 

“Oh, yeah,” Justin started, “before I forget when you put in there where this was recorded at it’s gonna be ‘By the Lake Studio’.”

 

“That’s what you’re calling your studio at home?”  Emma questioned. 

 

“Yup and it’s gotta be written out like this,” Justin picked up a pencil that was on her desk and wrote out “By the ‘Lake Studio” on the sheet he had written his thank yous. 

 

“Clever.”  Emma rolled her eyes a little at the play on words in regards to where they live and their last name – because of the apostrophe.

 

“I knew you’d like it.”  He smirked.

 

“I’ll finish it up this week and let you see the proofs before I send it off to your label and the printer.”

 

“Sounds like a plan.  So can you get out of here?”

 

“Umm …” Emma looked at the clock on her computer.  “I’ve really got to finish up some things here.  Sorry.”  She saw the disappointed look on his face.  “I’ll be home between six and six-thirty.”

 

“Okay.”  Justin sounded a little pathetic, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to pull her away from work.  She let him work on his music so it was only fair that he returned the favor.  “I guess I’ll get out of your hair then.”

 

“All right.”  She stood up so he could get up.  Justin hugged her, and she returned it.

 

“I’ll make dinner tonight.”  He looked down at her, his arms around her waist.

 

“Sounds good.”  Emma kissed him.  They finished saying “goodbye,” and Justin left.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Feedback.  Please?? 

 

Curiosity killed the cat … here are the “plans” for their house: http://www.n-outsync.net/storyplans/BPOM/plans01.html - I truly have no life.  :P  Actually, it’s just a hobby I’ve had for 13 years or so.  Heh …

 

So I had to do a little “research” and was reading his thank you’s in and there weren’t any in FSLS.  What’s up with that?  Is he too good for the little people?

 

Songs:

“At Least We Made It This Far” – Matthew Thiessen ©2008 Gotee Music / Red Coats Are Coming Publishing (BMI)

 

“Better Part of Me” – Tyler Burkum ©2006 Simple Melody Publishing (ASCAP)

 

“The Heart of Worship” – Matt Redman ©1999 Kingsways Thankyou Music Admin./EMI Christian Music Publishing



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story