Chapter Fifteen June 2012 

“Justin,” Emma said.  She and Justin were lying on their bed.  Emma was half lying on him.  She shifted so she could look up at him with her chin resting on his chest.

 

“Hmm …” He looked down at her.  Justin’s hand rubbed up and down her back.  He loved being with her after he had been gone for a while, it was pleasant, and she always welcomed him back quite nicely, since they had been married a year before. 

 

“You know what today is?”  She asked and moved her hand up his chest.

 

“What’s that?”  He didn’t think he was forgetting an important day.

 

“It’s Father’s Day,” she said.  Emma had been anxious to tell the big news even though it wasn’t something they had been planning, she knew he’d be happy.  Or she hoped he would be, but right now he was giving her an odd look.

 

Emma looked at him, and he could see it in her eyes what she was getting at.

 

“Oh … oh,” realization dawned on his face.  “You’re …?  We’re …?”  He wasn’t entirely sure about actually saying the word.

 

“I’m pregnant,” Emma stated.

 

“Wow …” Justin said.  Emma knew he had to take it all in.

 

“You okay?”  She asked when he didn’t say anything for a while.  Emma traced her finger up and down the cross tattoo on his arm.

 

“Yeah.”  Justin nodded and wrapped his arms around her so he could pull her all the way over on him.  He wanted to feel her.  “It’s just a lot to take in, because we were thinking next year for that …” Justin trailed off.

 

“I know,” Emma sighed and brought her hand up to his hair.  “I was surprised too.” She had been so busy with work and with what Justin was up to that missing her period hadn’t even crossed her mind, and then she had gone to the doctor for her annual, and she had been surprised. “But I’m happy.” 

 

“Me too.”  Justin finally grinned and squeezed her tight.  “So when’s the baby due?”

 

“December 15.”  She smiled and scooted up so she could kiss him.  “I’m three months pregnant.”

 

“So …” Justin counted backward in his head.  “What’d we do in March that we weren’t careful?”

 

Emma blushed, “When we were in the studio, listening to your new CD.”  Justin laughed.  He loved that she would still get shy about the things they did together.  He moved his hands down her back.

 

“That was nice.”  He sighed at the memory.  “How long have you known?”

 

“About three weeks.  I wanted to wait until I could tell you properly.”  She smiled softly. 

 

“I appreciate it.  I’m happy.  I’m really, really happy.”  Justin’s smile widened with his next thought, “We’re going to be parents.”

 

“Crazy huh?”  She moved her head so she could look into his eyes.  Justin smiled and responded by kissing her.

 

*  *  *

 

“Are you doing my laundry?”  Justin asked Emma suspiciously.  She always managed to sneak off with his bags to do his laundry even though he didn’t want her to.

 

“Yes.”  Emma looked over her shoulder where he was standing in the doorway to the laundry room.  She was pulling clothes out of the washer and throwing them into the dryer. 

 

“Why do you do that?” 

 

“Do what?”  She knew what he was asking.  Emma closed the dryer door and started it up.

 

“You know what.”  Justin glared playfully.  He stepped into the small room, kicking a laundry basket out of the way so he could lean against the dryer.

 

“I’m your wife and part of that is taking care of you and part of taking care of you involves washing your stinky clothes.”  She stuck her tongue out at him before putting more dirty clothes into the washer.  “Besides I had to wash my clothes too.  No sense in wasting time and water.”

 

“I guess you got me there.”  It really wasn’t the first time they had had this discussion.  He reached out to run his fingers over her stomach, something he had taken to in the past few days since learning about the baby.  “You feelin’ okay?”  She hadn’t looked to good earlier.

 

“I’m fine.”  Emma nodded.  “You want to fold those for me?”  She pointed to the basket he had moved with his foot a few moments before.  “I’ve got to start packing for our trip.” 

 

They were leaving the following day to drive out to Memphis for the week where Justin was going to have his CD release show, and they were going to spend the 4th of July with his family.

 

“Are you excited to tell your parents the big news?”  Emma headed out of the laundry room.  Justin picked up the basket and followed her back to their room.

 

“Yeah.”  She could hear the smile in his voice.  “Have you told your parents yet?” 

 

“Not yet.  I had to tell you first and then we’ve been doing stuff around here, so I just haven’t had the chance.  We can tell them next Sunday at dinner.”  That was a week away.

 

“Sure.”  They walked through the bathroom and into their closet.

 

Emma had already laid her suitcase on the floor and opened it.  Justin set the white basket on top of the dresser that was in the closet and started to pull out clothes to fold and put them away.

 

*  *  *

 

July 2012

 

It was the night before Justin’s show, and they were at his grandparents’ house for dinner with his parents.  Emma was curled up on their couch next to Justin and while he talked with them, she listened quietly.  Justin smiled at Emma and questioned her with his eyes, asking if she wanted him to share their news.

 

Emma smiled in response.

 

“So Emma and I have some news,” Justin stated when there was a bit of a lull in the conversation.  He could almost see the knowing smiles on his Mom and Grandma’s faces.  “We’re having a baby.”

 

“I knew it,” Sadie said.  “I even said to myself when you two came in ‘she’s pregnant.’”  Emma laughed quietly to herself at that comment, and Justin kissed her forehead.

 

“That’s fantastic news you two.”  Lynn grinned.  There were more compliments from Justin’s Dad and Granddad.  “When are you due?”

 

“December 15,” Emma answered.

 

“Wonderful, just in time for Christmas.”

 

“Yeah.”  Justin smiled.  That thought hadn’t crossed his mind; this baby was going to be a Christmas present for them and it couldn’t have been any better.

 

*  *  *

 

“I’m glad you’re here.”

 

“I wouldn’t miss it.  You’ll do great.”  Emma smiled confidently.  Justin’s hands were on her waist, and he was absentmindedly running his thumbs over her stomach.  Emma put her arms over his shoulders and laced her fingers together.  They kissed.

 

“You gonna go sit down now?”  He asked.

 

“Yeah.”  Emma nodded.  “I’ll see you out there.”  She dropped her arms, but not before giving him another hug and kiss. 

 

“Okay.”  Justin smiled.  “Love you.”

 

“Love you too.”  Emma made her way out to the main part of the venue/restaurant that the show was at.  She sat down at the table with Justin’s parents and grandparents.  It had a perfect view of the stage.

 

“How’s he doin’?”  Sadie asked her.

 

“Fine.  I think he’s a little nervous, but I can tell he is excited,” Emma answered.  A waiter came by and asked if she wanted something to drink; she ordered water. 

 

“I can’t tell you how much I like his new songs.  I can see how much you’ve influenced him, and for the better.”  The older woman patted her hand.

 

“Um … thanks.”  Emma blushed.  She knew she had been a big part of how he had grown, but Emma would never take credit for how he had because it hadn’t been her decisions, it had all been on him.

The group conversed with each other until Justin came out onto the stage and his set started.  He started off with songs from his previous releases before stopping to talk and introduce some of his new songs.

 

“Who’s picked up the new CD?”  He picked up one of the extra guitars that sat on the stage.  There were a lot of cheers from the crowd.  “Good, good.  I take it you like it?”  Justin laughed a little into the microphone.  There were more cheers.

 

“I wanted to talk about it a little.  I’m sure a lot of ya’ll were surprised by the spiritual tracks, especially the hidden track, which is clearly a worship song.”  He paused to gauge the crowd’s reaction and then continued, “Most of you know – well, probably all of ya’ll know – that I got married just a little more than a year ago, and I wanted to do music that my wife would willingly listen too.”  Justin teased Emma from the stage.

 

Emma shook her head at that comment.

 

“In all seriousness though – my wife’s a pretty special lady.  When I met Emma, she taught me a lot of things about life and love and good things like that.”  He smiled.  “So this project is what has come out of knowing her and loving her.”  Justin nodded toward his band and they started the next song, which was “The Better Part of Me.”

 

After his set, he had made his way toward where he knew his family was sitting, stopping to talk to a few people here and there.   “They seemed receptive,” Justin stated after he had sat down at the table with them.  

 

“Of course they were you’re Justin Timberlake.”  Emma smirked and leaned into him a little when he put his arm over the back of her chair.

 

“Emma …” he laughed.

 

“It’s the truth.” She stated matter-of-factly.  “People will always like what you do.  You could sing about a blade of grass and they wouldn’t care.”  Justin rolled his eyes.  “It was a good show.  I’m proud of you.”  Emma put her hand on his cheek and turned his face so she could kiss him.

 

“Thanks Em, that means a lot to me for you to say that.”  Justin smiled and then looked around the table.  “So what’s everyone drinking?”  He turned to wave the waiter down.

 

“Actually, Justin we’re going to head out.”  His Dad stood up.  “It’s starting to get late.”

 

“Oh, okay.”  Justin sounded a little surprised.  Emma and Justin said goodbye to the four of them.  “I should probably go mingle.  Do you want to stay here or come with me?”

 

“I can go with you,” Emma answered with a smile.  Justin helped her up and kept her close to his side the rest of the night.

 

*  *  *

 August 2012 

“It’s Noah.  That’s what his name is going to be.”  Emma said.  They had gone to the doctor that afternoon and while there they found out that the baby was a little boy.  Both of them were happy to hear the news that he was growing healthily. 

 

“Is it now?”  Justin raised an eyebrow.  He was sitting on the opposite end of the couch with Emma’s feet in his lap while she lay down.

 

“Yup.”  Emma rubbed her stomach affectionately.  “You can pick the middle name.”

 

“Oh, the middle name … I see how it is.”  Justin teased.  He moved so he was straddling her legs, he put his hands on her stomach and leaned over to kiss her and then her stomach.  “Hi Noah.” 

 

“See, he likes it.”  She smiled when the baby moved. 

 

“You don’t know that.  He could be protesting.”  Justin smirked, sitting back, careful to not put his weight on her legs.

 

“Of course I know I’m his Mama.”  Emma put her hands over Justin’s that were still on her stomach.  “So do you have thoughts for his middle name?”

 

“Mmm …” he thought.  “I’m going to have to think about it, but I do like Noah.  I think it’ll be a good name for him.”

 

*  *  *

 

“I have the perfect idea for his room.”  Emma stated.

 

“Shoot.”  Justin looked over at her from the driver’s seat.  They were headed toward Pinnacle Hills, which was a local outdoor mall, to start shopping for the nursery and other baby stuff.

 

“Because we’re having a boy and naming him Noah, I think it would be completely adorable – albeit cheesy – but I love the idea of doing an ark themed room for him.”

 

“I bet you already have it planned out.”  He grinned in her direction.

 

“Well, what I would like to do is paint the walls like its something from a coloring book, so thick black lines and then filling it in just using basic primary and secondary colors,” Emma explained.  “I picture there being an ark painted on the wall opposite the door and then having the animals lined up on the other walls, like they’re headed to the boat.”

 

“Cute and who is doing all this?”

 

“We are.  I can draw it out in Illustrator on my computer, borrow our projector we use for presentations and project it onto the wall.  We paint the lines black and color it in.  Simple really.”

 

“Yeah … sure.”  Justin sounded hesitant.  “I probably couldn’t paint if my life depended on it.”

 

“Puh-lease,” Emma rolled her eyes.  “It’s not the Sistine Chapel or somethin’.  It’ll be fun to do that together.”  Justin parked the SUV and they got out of it.  “I think we’re going to have to start taking my car, this thing is too hard to get in and out of.”

 

“I didn’t even think about that,” Justin stated as he grabbed her hand.  “Sorry.”

 

“Well, no need to worry about it now because we’re here.”  She smiled and squeezed his hand.  They walked through the parking lot and into a furniture store.  Emma had been eyeing some of the furniture they had in the store the last time she was there, and she wanted Justin to see it.

 

“So what do you think?” Emma asked.  They were standing in front of a crib that she had pointed out.  The crib was black and pretty simple, but she liked it because on one side there were three shelves and the top was meant to be used as a changing table.

 

“Yeah.  That’s cool.”  Justin nodded.  He read the tag attached to one of the posts.  “It says that this will turn into a toddler’s bed.”  Justin pointed to where it said that.

 

“Really?”  Emma hadn’t seen that the last time she was in there.  She looked at where Justin was pointing.  “Well that’s a neat feature.  Yay or nay?”

 

“Definitely.  Unless you want to look around more, I think it’s as a good choice as any.”  Justin grinned at her.  They decided to stick with that crib, and then Emma took him across the store to look at a dresser that would go well with it. 

 

When they left the store more than an hour later, they had bought the pieces they liked and scheduled a date for it to be delivered to the house.  Justin and Emma made their way to the next store.  They spent the rest of the day at the mall, coming home with several bags.

 

*  *  *

 

November 2012

 

Justin and Emma had thought it would be fun to wait to tell their families that they were having a boy when they could show them the finished room.  It had taken a lot of restraint to not share that news, especially with the pestering from their Mom’s who had been planning a baby shower, without what they deemed to be “vital information.”

 

So here it was, Thanksgiving, and they had finished the room a couple weeks before and were on their way up the stairs with their parents and Trevor to show them the room.  Trevor already knew because Emma had made him come over to help them paint a couple weekends. 

 

“You have to close your eyes,” Emma grinned.  The group was standing outside of the closed nursery door.  She waited until they closed their eyes and then opened the door.  Emma and Justin led their parents into the room and situated them so they faced the crib, which above it they had painted the name “Noah.”

 

“Open your eyes.”  Justin stated with his arm over Lynn’s shoulder. 

 

“Noah a little boy that’s wonderful.”  Lynn turned so she could give Justin a hug and kissed his cheek.  “Not that we wouldn’t have been just as excited over a little girl.”  She smirked and moved to give Emma a hug too.

 

“Well this room just fits him perfectly then,” Karen stated.  There was a lot of chatter about the animals lined up around the walls, heading toward the ark. 

 

“It was all Emma’s idea,” Justin said.  He looked over at Emma who had made her way over to the cushy rocking chair in the corner by the window to sit down. 

 

“It’s fantastic.”  

 

“You did a good job sweetie.”  Doug complimented.

 

“Thanks.”  Emma smoothed her hand over her stomach.  “Justin and Trevor both helped out a lot with the painting because I couldn’t be in here with the fumes.”

 

The group stayed and talked some more until a football game the guys wanted to watch was going to start, so they headed downstairs.

 

*  *  *

 

December 21, 2012

 

Justin counted the 10 fingers and 10 toes of his son.  His son.  He liked the sound of that.

 

“Noah James,” Justin said softly.  He held the baby in his arms, readjusting the blanket as one of the nurses had taught him.  Emma was sleeping.  The labor had been long and hard on her and in the end the doctor had performed a cesarean section.  She had fallen asleep right after the doctor had showed the baby boy to them and that was about three hours before.

 

“Justin …” Emma said quietly.  She turned her head toward him, her eyes were half open.

 

“Hey Em,” he said and smiled.  “How are you feeling?”

 

“Tired and sore,” she answered.  Justin stood up with the baby in his arms.  “But everything is okay?”  Emma sat up slowly, feeling the stitches pulling a little as she did.

 

“Yeah,” he answered and carefully moved their son from his arms into hers when she held her arms out to him.  Justin brushed his hand over the dark brown fuzz on Noah’s head.

 

“He’s perfect,” Emma hummed and leaned back against the pillows. She moved the blanket a little so she could see more of him.  Both of them were quiet, taking in the presence of the baby they had created.  “Did you pick out his middle name?”

 

“I decided on James,” he answered.  He had been back and forth about it for the longest time, so Emma was happy to finally have an answer.  Justin picked up the chair he had been sitting on and moved it near the bed so he could sit down by her.

 

“Good, that’s a good name – Noah James Timberlake.”  Emma placed a kiss on his forehead.  “He’s so cuddly.  I love it.”  Justin chuckled at the smile on her face, but he knew exactly what she was talking about.

 

*  *  *

 

“I feel so bad about missing church on Christmas.”  Emma moped.  They had just come home from the hospital, it was Christmas Day, and she had never missed church.

 

“Emmy, you had a baby and major surgery four days ago, and we just got home from the hospital about three seconds ago.  I think God will forgive you for this one.”  Justin teased.  He adjusted the pillows he brought down for her from their bedroom on the couch. 

 

Emma sat down slowly on the couch next to the pillows.  Lynn had taken Noah upstairs to change his diaper when they had got home, while Paul had taken the dogs outside to tire them out before letting them meet the newest member of their family.

 

“Now do you need anything else?”  Justin asked looking at her.

 

“Just my baby.  He needs to eat soon.”  Emma glanced at the clock on the wall.  It had been three hours since he’d last eaten.  “Oh, can you plug in the lights for the tree?”

 

“I can do that.”  Justin nodded and stepped over to the tree to plug the lights in.

 

Lynn came down the stairs carrying Noah who was starting to fuss.

 

“See there she is Noah.  There’s your Mama.”  She patted his back in soothing motion.  Lynn handed Noah to Emma.  “He’s ready for lunch.”

 

“I know,” Emma smiled.  “Can you get me one of those blankets from under the stairs and the nursing pillow – it should be there too.”  Lynn was already over there before she could finish her request and then helped her to get situated with Noah.  “Thanks.”

 

“Just let us know what you need.  I’m going to some sandwiches for lunch,” Lynn stated.  “Your Mom and I have a big meal planned for later tonight that we’re going to start cooking as soon as your parents get here.”  Lynn made her way to the kitchen.

 

“Don’t plop down like that,” Emma said uncomfortably when Justin dropped himself down onto the couch next to her.  She shifted.

 

“Sorry.”  Justin cringed.  He reached over and lifted up the blanket that was covering Noah and herself so he could take a peek. 

 

The door from the back patio opened and the dogs came trotting in followed by Paul.  They immediately went over to Emma and Justin because they had been gone for four days.  Buckley and Brennan both sniffed at Noah through the blanket that was covering him, but other than that they didn’t really seem phased by his presence.  Emma was a little relieved by that, but it was still early to tell how they would really be with a baby in the house.

 

“Do you want them to lie down?”  Justin asked.  Even though they were acting pretty calm, they were still a little pushy with Emma.

 

“They’re okay.”  Emma answered. 

 

“We’re here!”  Trevor’s voice carried down over the balcony and then he appeared above them.

 

“Trevor, you can’t yell like that when you come in here anymore,” Karen scolded.  “Noah could be sleeping.”  Emma’s parents and brother made their way down the stairs carrying presents.

 

“Hah – you got yelled at Uncle Trevor,” Emma smirked at her younger brother as he set down the wrapped boxes under the tree.  “Lucky for you, he’s eating now.”  Trevor sat down on the chair next to the couch on Emma’s side.

 

“How was the trip home from the hospital?”  Emma’s Dad asked as he set the packages in his hands down.

 

“It was nerve-wracking,” Emma answered.  “I swear people drive like crazies.  I’m sorry I missed church this morning.”

 

“Don’t worry about that Emma,” Karen said.  Her voice carried from the kitchen counter behind the couch.  “Everyone’s just glad that you and Noah are healthy, happy and home.  Everyone was handing us cards for you guys.  Trevor, why don’t you and Justin go get them out of the car as well as the rest of the presents.”  She suggested.

 

“We can do that.”  Justin stood up.  There wasn’t much he could do until Noah finished eating.  Trevor and Justin headed up the stairs talking about football. 

 

“Emma-Leigh is there anything you need?”  Karen asked her.

 

“I’m good.  Lynn’s making something for lunch.”  Emma replied.  She lifted the blanket when Noah started to fuss again and knew it was time to switch sides.  Emma got him situated and listened to the conversations going on around her.

 

Justin and Trevor came back in a few minutes later carrying more gifts most of which – Emma was sure – were for Noah. 

 

“Mom, Dad that’s too much.”  Emma sighed as she watched Justin and Trevor set the stuff down with everything else under the tree.

 

“Some of that is from Lynn and Paul.  We went shopping the other day,” Karen defended herself.  “He’s our first grandbaby; of course we’re going to spoil him.”

 

“How’s he doing?” Justin sat back down next to Emma.  He put a hand on her back and rubbed up and down.

 

“Fine.”  Emma answered and yawned.  She nodded her thanks when Lynn handed her a sandwich and set down a glass of milk on the side table.  “I need to take a nap when he’s done and after I eat.” 

 

“Definitely.”  Justin agreed.  “We can keep it down because you’re not really supposed to be going up and down stairs.”

 

“That’s fine.  I think I’d sleep through anything anyway.”  Emma grinned.  Noah finished his meal just as Emma finished her sandwich.  Emma fixed her shirt before she removed the blanket and handed Noah to Justin, who had assumed the roll as official burper.  “Got him?”

 

“Of course,” he smiled.  Noah was curled up against his chest, and Justin’s hand covered most of the baby’s back while he patted and rubbed it softly.  Emma sighed and rested her head against his shoulder, closing her eyes, and before she knew it she had fallen asleep.

 

It had been a long first day at home, and it wasn’t quite over yet.  Emma was sitting on their bed while Noah ate.  Justin turned off the lamp on his side of the bed and climbed onto it.

 

“I wish we could stay like this forever,” Justin said as he settled onto the bed next to Emma.  He rested his head on her bare shoulder and reached out to touch the soft, fuzzy hair on Noah’s head.

 

“It’s a nice thought.”  Emma sighed and leaned her head back against the headboard.  She closed her eyes.  She was tired, but she had to be up to feed Noah.

 

“I still can’t believe we made him,” he stated and placed a soft kiss on her shoulder.  Justin loved watching his wife feed his son; there was something comforting about the little noises Noah made while he ate.

 

“Well, we are both pretty creative people,” she smiled softly.  Emma looked down at their four-day-old son before glancing at Justin.

 

Justin had taken to that position when they were alone the first night in the hospital, and whenever she nursed and it was just them he was right there.  Emma had gotten used to it and after the first night, stopped making an attempt to cover herself because he insisted on observing.  And she would let him observe as long as he did the burping and changed his share of dirty diapers.

 

“We sure are …” Justin trailed off.  His world had flipped upside-down the second he first saw and held Noah.  “Merry Christmas Emmy.”  Justin sighed.

 

“You too, Justin.”  Emma looked at the baby, who was slowly falling asleep while he nursed.  “And Noah.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you guys so much for reading!!! :D


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story