Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

He wandered around Hannah's tiny apartment as she chopped ingredients for a side salad. He couldn't imagine living in such a small space. The kitchen was actually a decent size, but it also served as a dining room which really made it feel cluttered. There was hardly any counter space. He strolled into her living room and he was pretty sure it was smaller than his closet. There was enough room for an old futon, recliner and a TV stand, and that was about it. Off of the living room was a tiny little room that actually may have been a closet at one time, but Hannah made it into to a little office. There was a desk with her laptop, a few books, and her degrees hanging on the wall.
 
"Finding anything interesting?"
 
JC looked alarmed for a moment, but quickly realized Hannah was just teasing him. There was her warm smile, again. Did she know the effect that was having on him?
 
"Just admiring your education. You have your MBA?"
 
"I do. Got my undergrad in Accounting, took two years off to play hockey, then went back for my MBA. I have a business to run, you know." She paused. "You look surprised or something."
 
"I just don't meet a lot of well-educated women, I guess. Most of the women I meet are models or actresses - and not the kind that went to college to study the art of acting. Just girls relying on their pretty face. You're a breath of fresh air."
 
"Well, thanks. I think. Our late lunch slash extremely early dinner is ready. Again, I'm sorry its not much. I don't do much cooking so all I really had was a frozen pizza and salad."
 
"You chopped vegetables. That's more cooking than I ever do." JC said while emphasizing cooking with air quotes.
 
The pair sat at the crowded table in the kitchen and ate their salad and pizza with a glass of red wine.
 
"So, did you go to college?"
 
"I barely went to high school." Hannah looked surprised. "I mean, I had a tutor and everything, just not the normal high school experience. I wish I would have had a chance to go to college, though. I still think about it sometimes."
 
"You do? I mean, clearly you wouldn't need to go to college. You have a great career."
 
"Its not about the career aspect. Its about the experience I sometimes feel like I missed out on. Studying, having roommates, going to parties and football games..."
 
"I can see that. Those were some of the best times of my life. But think of all the experiences you've had that others didn't get to have. You've seen the world multiple times over and have gotten to do what you love at a young age."
 
"I know. I'm very blessed, and I wouldn't have changed the way everything happened. But its still one of those "what if" things, you know?"
 
"Yeah, we all have those," she answered. "So we've talked a lot about me. I want to learn more about you."
 
He took a long swig of his wine. "Not to sound self-centered, but what do you already know?"
 
"Let's see. That you sing and that you had a birthday last year," she laughed. "Sorry, I can't say I was a big fan. I was, of course, aware of your group, but it was never really my thing."
 
JC loved it when people didn't already have preconceived notions of who he was or what he was about. He could tell that Hannah honestly wanted to know about him, and was not just digging for gossip. He went into the brief version of his background, and though Hannah was listening intently, he could sense boredom in her eyes when he mentioned "famous friends" or anything of the like. She poured them both another glass of wine as her briefly told her about the movie and his current struggles with Jive.
 
"That's exactly why I don't want to pursue this music thing. Other than my fear of singing, of course."
 
"Well it sucks, yeah. But I don't think that's a reason not to try. You're great. If you're really interested in pursuing this songwriting thing..."
 
She interrupted. "No. I'm not, its just a hobby. If I ever got involved in the music world in any way, it would be from the business end of things. Put my degrees to use, and try to change the way companies treated their talent. But, that's one of my "what ifs." I own this place now, and I have no intentions of doing anything else."
 
Even though he wanted to push the idea of her getting into the business more, he decided to ease up. He could tell it was a touchy subject, but he hadn't yet figured out why.
 
"Hannah, I just wanted to thank you again, for everything you've done for me today. It was beyond kind, and I am very grateful."
 
Hannah looked at him and smiled. The wine had lightly stained his lips and she couldn't help but stare. For the first time that day she felt uncomfortable, and she couldn't explain it. The air held a new charge.
 
"You're welcome," she nearly whispered.
 
He sensed the change in her demeanor, and suddenly he felt slightly uncomfortable, as well.
 
"Can I help you clean up?"
 
"Can you start the dishes while I get your bed ready? I need to change the sheets and stuff."
 
"Of course."
 
JC sighed. Suddenly she couldn't get away from him fast enough.
 
**********************

Hannah had returned with her arms full of blankets and pillows, and she dropped them to the futon with soft thump.
 
"So I have an extra bedroom but it only has a twin bed, so I thought the futon might give you a little extra room. Is that OK? Its not the most comfortable, but it works for a night."
 
"Of course, that's fine. Seriously, I would sleep on the floor."
 
"Well no need for that. Here, come help me get this mattress down."
 
After they adjusted the mattress, JC gently pushed Hannah away and grabbed the sheets out of her hands. "Seriously, you go sit down. I will take care of this."
 
She looked at him exasperatedly, but her face soon lit up with a smile as she took a seat on the old recliner. "I guess I could let you do that."
 
Whatever tension had been in the air earlier had seemed to drain.
 
"You know its only like 5:15. Are you trying to make me go to bed to get out of your hair already?" JC asked as he tucked a pillow into its case.
 
"I just figured it would be nice to have it all made up, so when you get tired you can just fall asleep, and not have to worry about all of the work then," she paused. "Speaking of work, would you mind helping me shovel? I know its still snowing, but I'd like to get some of the snow removed so it isn't twice as bad tomorrow."
 
"I haven't shoveled in probably 20 years. But yeah, of course I'll help."
 
Hannah chuckled. "Oh California boys."
 
"And before that it was Florida. But I grew up in DC. We got a little bit of snow every now and then. Nothing like this though."
 
"Well trust me, you'll probably have a backache by the time we're done. But I'll make you some hot chocolate to make up for it. I have an old jacket of my dad's and some boots you can wear. You can't quite go out in that windbreaker and those nice leather shoes."


******

"I'll say it again, I do not understand why people live here. That was ridiculous," Jc whined as he walked into the bar and tugged his hat off, while stomping the excess snow off of his boots.

"Wait!" Hanna shouted when JC started to unzip the oversized parka he was wearing. "You will be dressed in full snow gear for you 'wall 'o celebrity' picture. Don't think I've forgotten about it." Hannah pushed past him and ran behind the bar to grab the camera.

"You're trailing snow everywhere."

"I don't care. Quit trying to change the subject." Hanna grabbed the camera and hurried back to JC's side. "Put your hat back on."

"You're demanding."

"I know. Do it."

JC reluctantly did as told and slipped the knit cap over his head. He zipped up his coat and wrapped his scarf around his neck, purposely pulling up on it so it covered all the way up to his nose. "You won't even be able to recognize me."

"I know, that is why we are taking it now. You wanted to go unnoticed today, so you will. I wanted to get your photo for the wall, so I will. It's a win-win."

"Win."

"Oh my God, and "Office" reference? You can never leave. Besides, you look adorable in all of that winter gear," Hannah said as she snapped a photo of the two of them with her outstretched hand. They both reviewed the photo on the screen, and Hanna looked up at JC and smiled. "Perfect."

"OK, you can take all of that old crap off now. Just throw it on the floor. It is all wet. We'll pick it up in the morning," Hannah commented as she stripped off her jacket, hat and boots and threw them in a haphazzard pile on the floor.

"Remind me again why you don't have a snowblower?"

"I do, but it is broken. It is at my uncle's farm getting fixed. I told him there was no rush because I was really hoping I wasn't going to need it again this season. Clearly, I'm a moron."

"Well shoveling sucks. My back is killing me. That is heavy fucking snow."

"Perfect for snowball fights!"

"Yeah, I got that when you pelted me in the face with one."

"I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to hit you in the face, I swear."

"Yeah, but you were still trying to hit me!"

"Well of course."

JC slipped off his left boot, and stood quietly in his black T-shirt, loose jeans, and wet socks. He watched Hannah head off behind the bar and started mixing drinks. He stood in awe of her for a few minutes. He couldn't believe this woman. He had never met anyone like her. She was funny, smart, normal - and it was extremely refreshing. She was cute, too - he couldn't ignore that - but that was not what drew him in. It was her openness. He met very few people who were so warm and welcoming. He felt like he had known her for years, but it had only been short of 11 hours.

"Here." She handed him a steaming mug. "Hot chocolate with Baileys and Butterscotch Schnapps. It's my favorite." They headed over to the bar and next to each other on the stools. "Thanks again for your help. You are are a real gentleman. And I know it will seem like we did it in vain in an hour or so after the sidewalk will be covered with snow again, but it will really make it easier on me in the morning."

"No problem. It was fun, even though my back is sore. I never work those lower back muscles. Not like that anyway."

They sat in silence for awhile, slowly sipping their hot chocolate and enjoying the quiet. Finally, JC spoke up. "I still need to play something for you." JC set his empty mug on the bar and headed toward the piano bench. "That hot chocolate was amazing by the way."

"Thanks! It is a staple in my winter diet. After February I usually make myself stop drinking it, but I think today called for it." Hannah smiled. "You really don't have to play anything for me."

"Rubbish. A deal is a deal."

JC inhaled deeply and took a seat on the piano bench. He was strangely nervous,and he was never nervous. He didn't usually sing for girls - he kind of thought it was hokey. Not that Hannah was some girl he was trying to get into bed, but still in this moment that is how it felt. He managed to convince himself that he was just one musician performing for another musician. There was nothing more.

A soft and simple melody began to fill the empty bar, and a after a few bars of introduction, JC closed his eyes and began to sing.

She loves daffodils/ she keeps them on her windowsill/ when the wind blows the smell fills the room/ she dreams in color/ but does she know that I love her/ I'm swimming in my abyss of insecure blue

JC kept his eyes closed for the duration of the song. For some reason he was afraid to make eye contact. He felt some kind of crazy connection to Hannah, and he was trying to bury the feeling. He knew if he looked at her he wouldn't be able to control whatever pang of desire he was feeling.

He sat in silence about 10 seconds and took a deep breath before he finally opened his eyes and looked over at Hannah, who was still sitting at the bar and holding her mug of hot chocolate to her lips, but not drinking. She was beaming.

"I don't even know what to say. That was...wow that was...Wow. You have me speechless. And I am never speechless."

"Thank you," JC said shyly as he stared down at his foot that he was scuffing against the stage floor.

"I wish I could sing like you. And write a melody that simple and beautiful. Seriously, I'm glad I went first. I would have never been able to sing for you after that."

JC stood up and stretched his arms well above his head and let out a big yawn. He felt self-conscious when he noticed Hannah looking at his exposed stomach, but he didn't rush to tug his shirt down. That would be too obvious. Besides, it felt too good know she was looking at him in that way.

"Um, I'm kind of tired. The shoveling wore me out. Want to go watch a movie or something?"

Hannah slowly released a deep breath she had been holding in. "Yes, that sounds like a great idea."


*****

An hour later, JC was wrapped up in a pile of blankets on the futon watching "The Office." Hannah was almost dozing off in the recliner. The snow had stopped falling, and the roads were actually plowed and in pretty good shape. JC really could have gone back to his hotel, but he didn't say anything. Hannah didn't say anything either, so he really saw no reason to offer to leave. Besides, his bed was already made.

A drowsy Hannah spoke up when the episode ended. "What time do you have to leave in the morning?"

"Well I have to be in Chanhassen at 9:00. We're starting earlier tomorrow."

"OK, well I'm going to bed. I will wake you up at 7:00. That should give you enough time to shower, dig out your car, and get there on time."

"OK." She started to walk out of the room. "Hannah?"

She stopped in the doorway and turned toward him. JC got up from his bed and headed toward her, wearing his black T-shirt and a pair of University of Minnesota Hockey sweatpants Hannah had loaned him. When he was within arms length of her, he reached out and ran his hand over her long, mocha hair. He leaned in and gently placed a kiss on her cheek."

"Thank you," he said, his eyes glistening with sincerity.

"You're welcome JC." She pulled away and patted his sholder.

JC sighed as he crawled back under the covers. He was going to miss Minnesota.

*****

The sound of feet stomping on the ground startled JC as he flipped a pancake.

"JC! JC! Wake up! Oh my God, I'm so sorry. My alarm didn't go off!" Hannah stopped in her tracks as she turned the corner into the kitchen and saw JC add to a plate stacked tall with pancakes. He was already dressed and had set the table for breakfast.

"Don't worry. I couldn't sleep that well. I've been up since 6:30. I'm showered, already got all of the snow off my car, and found some pancake mix. I figured after all you've done for me, I owed you one."

"I thought you said you didn't cook?"

"I can do breakfast. All guys can grill and do breakfast."

Hannah grinned, while trying to smooth the hairs that had fallen out of her ponytail. "Well I guess that's true, isn't it?"

She sat at the table and JC put two pancakes and a slice of bacon on her plate. "Eat up!"

"Aren't you going to join me?"

"Already ate. I really need to get going. It wouldn't hurt to give myself a few extra minutes in case I get lost - which I'm sure I will. I did yesterday." He chuckled.

"Well you have the directions I wrote for you. You won't get lost. And if you do, just give me a call." Hannah left the kitchen and came back a few seconds later with her business card. "Here. This has all of my information." She looked up at him and they held eye contact for a few seconds. "Don't be afraid to contact me." She paused. "For anything." She added quietly.

"Hannah, thank you so much. I mean," he paused. He wasn't sure what to say. "I really appreciate it. With all of my heart. You completely went out of your way to make me feel at home."

"I didn't..." she tried to interrupt.

"You did. Thank you. And I will contact you. I promise. Lost or not. I don't meet to many people these days that I think are true friends. I think you could be." Jesus, he thought to himself. Do I always sound this damn sappy?

Hannah leaned in and gave him a tight hug. "It was so nice to meet you JC. I think you could be a good friend, too. Drive safely."

"I will. Enjoy your breakfast."

"I will."

JC reluctantly let her go. "I left your sweatpants on the futon."

"Wait." Hannah ran out of the room and came back with the pants. "I want you to keep them. Everyone needs a pair of Minnesota Hockey sweats. I insist."

"Thank you. Ok, I really need to leave or I'll never say goodbye." He slipped on his jacket and headed to the door. Hannah held the door open and watched him decend down the stairs.

"Goodbye JC."

He glanced up at her and lifted his hand in a slight wave. "Goodbye Hannah."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: oral wallsex love hotel boyfriendjc postsync jc