Chapter 1

When I wake up in the morning and the ‘larm lets out a warning I don't think I'll ever make it on time.

Jaelyn rolled over and silenced her phone.  Was it Monday already?  She rubbed her eyes and scratched her head before getting out of her comfortable bed and slowly making her way to her restroom.  She looked at her reflection in the mirror with disgust, realizing that she forgot to remove her make-up the night before...time to start the morning routine.  She turned on the faucet and grabbed her facial cleanser.  She was in the middle of lathering the left side of her face when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her middle and a feather soft kiss on her right shoulder.

"Why are you up so early?"  Jaelyn smiled at the reflection of her and boyfriend of two years, Daniel. 

"Unlike you, I have a ten o'clock class hun," she answered wiping the cleanser off her face.

"But you don't have to go; you can stay here with me."

"I would, but I've already missed this class twice in the past two weeks."

"Well you said that your professor doesn't take roll, just stay here with me," Daniel said, kissing her shoulder once more.

"Yeah, but I need to actually go and listen to his lecture if I'm going to pass this test that's coming up in a week."

"Fine; I'm just going to crawl back into our big, comfy bed and sleep for a few more hours."

"No one likes a bragger, hun," Jaelyn said jokingly, "Hey, are we still on for lunch?"

"Yeah, where do you want to go?"

"How ‘bout Quiznos?  It's right up the road and I know you have that test today at one."

"Sounds good to me.  I'll pick you up in front of the UC at 11:30."  Jaelyn nodded and kissed her boyfriend sweetly before walking towards the closet and grabbing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.  She dressed quickly and headed off to her history class.

~*~

"Preston Brooks was a member of the House of Representatives...but that's not what you need to remember for this test.  You need to know that during a legislative meeting he proceeded to beat Charles Sumner and Brooks wasn't arrested because of his authority."  Jaelyn laughed at her professor's last statement.  Leave it up to him to stress a fight or alcohol in the history class.

"Well it looks like it's about that time.  I'll see you guys on Wednesday, and don't forget about that test next week!"  Jaelyn shut down her laptop and placed it in her tote before grabbing her water bottle and exited the lecture hall.  She was waiting for the elevator when a classmate approached her.

"I have no idea how I'm going to pass that test next week," he said.  Jaelyn just chuckled lightly.

"Yeah, I'll be happy to get out of this class with a ‘C'.  But I'm actually learning with his methods," she replied shrugging.

"Well we could always study together.  You know they say two brains work better than one," he said inching closer to her.

Where's the friggin' elevator?  It would be taking it's time today of all days.

Jaelyn chuckled nervously.

"Umm, sure.  I'll probably be studying in the library this weekend."

"Or we could do it at my place; I hear it's better to study in a more intimate environment."

"Hey babe!"  Jaelyn looked up and saw another guy approaching them.

"Sorry I'm late, chemistry ran long."  Jaelyn looked up at the new guy with a semi-confused look on her face.

"It's ok, I was just talking to..." she paused to let her classmate say his name.

"Jeff."

"I was just talking to Jeff about Newsom's test next week," Jaelyn said with a soft smile.  The new guy placed his arm around her shoulder possessively.

"Oh, are you two..."

"Yes," the new guy said, interrupting Jeff before he could finish his sentence.  He gave Jaelyn's shoulder a small squeeze for an added effect.

"Oh.  Well I guess I'll see you Wednesday then."

"Alright, bye," Jaelyn replied with a small wave.  She waited until Jeff had made it all the way down the stairs before she turned around and faced the stranger.

"Do you always interrupt other people's conversations?"

"Only when they look like they need to be interrupted," he replied with a slight smile.

"And what made you think that ours needed to be interrupted?"

"Your body language.  It was saying that he was in your personal space and practically begging me to come rescue you."

"Oh really?" Jaelyn began, "So now you're supposed to be Prince Charming?"

"Or you could just call me Justin," he said holding out his hand for her to shake, and she quickly did.

"And you can call me Jaelyn.  Nice to meet you Justin."

"Pleasure's all mine.  I'm just happy I don't have to call you ‘Teacher's Pet'."  Jaelyn laughed.

"Wait, I thought you said that you just came from Chemistry?"

"Well I couldn't say that we were both in the same class; he thought we were together and it would be kind of awkward if we didn't sit by each other and walk out of the class together if we had class together.  I sit on the opposite side of the lecture hall, and I've caught ‘ol boy glancing back at you one time too many."

"Oh gosh, are you serious?"

"As serious as the dollar Whopper on Wednesdays at Burger King," Justin replied with a laugh.

"Oh crap!  Speaking of food, I have to go."

"Well you better let me escort you, just in case we run into that guy again."  Jaelyn laughed.

"Well I'm heading to the UC...well the front of it; I have a lunch date I have to keep."  She smiled and waved before heading towards the stairs.  She texted her boyfriend and told him that she'd be out front in a few minutes.

"Hey baby," Daniel said, giving his girlfriend a quick peck as she got into his Jeep Cherokee. 

"How was class?"  Jaelyn hesitated on telling him about the incident that happened after her History class and decided against it.

"Long.  I'm just happy to see you."

"And I you darling.  You ready to go eat?"

"My stomach has been growling for the past 20 minutes; lets go," Jaelyn said with a smile.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers fratboyj collegej triangle